PDA

View Full Version : [News] NHL pauses the 19/20 season

sureLoss
03-12-2020, 11:10 AM
Keep this thread about what will happen moving forward. Eg. Playoffs, rest of the regular season, conditional picks, draft, free agency etc.

Chris Johnston @reporterchris
The NHL season has officially been suspended. No surprise. There is hope to resume.

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
#NHL season has been suspended. The league is on hiatus, with hope that it’s a short pause to protect player and staff health and safety.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/csec-statement-regarding-pause-on-nhl-season/c-316157230

The health, safety and well-being of our fans, staff and players remain the most important priority of Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation. CSEC is in full support of the National Hockey League's decision to pause the 2019-20 season due to COVID - 19.

As a result of this decision, the Flames home game this evening versus the New York Islanders and Saturday versus the Winnipeg Jets will not take place as originally scheduled. In addition, the National Lacrosse League game scheduled for this weekend at the Scotiabank Saddledome is suspended.

We are currently working on answers to frequently asked questions from our various stakeholders and it is our intention to communicate on a regular basis as this situation is fluid.

As with the NHL, we are hopeful to resume the season and playoffs when appropriate and prudent.

Icon
03-12-2020, 11:11 AM
suspended better than cancelled

Jordan!
03-12-2020, 11:17 AM
Canucks are flying back from Phoenix right now

OldDutch
03-12-2020, 11:18 AM
I still don’t get the end game here, and that includes work from home. No vaccine will be ready until next year. Do we really feel this will be contained at this point? In a few months?

I guess they say suspension but I cannot see sports this year at all and probably next.

TheScorpion
03-12-2020, 11:19 AM
the 2019-20 season will forfeit $15 million in salary during the suspension and will henceforth be considered a "repeat offender"

FlamesAddiction
03-12-2020, 11:19 AM
suspended better than cancelled

I am not expecting this to go away quickly enough for the season to resume, just based on how it is lingering in places it first hit.

I wonder if there is a date set where they just call it if they can't start playing. If you can't resume by May, I would imagine there is no point and you might as well start preparing for next season.

Tbull8
03-12-2020, 11:20 AM
So how is that going to work for ticket holders? especially people that buy through sites like FansFirst, etc.? Obviously there are more important things but just thinking of logistics

canadiancactus
03-12-2020, 11:20 AM
The season flames fans all wanted to forget may be forgotten

Bend it like Bourgeois
03-12-2020, 11:29 AM
I still don’t get the end game here, and that includes work from home. No vaccine will be ready until next year. Do we really feel this will be contained at this point? In a few months?

I guess they say suspension but I cannot see sports this year at all and probably next.

This is probably already on the site somewhere, but a great read here
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Short version. It can’t be stopped. Mitigation is about Reducing deaths.

Canada 02
03-12-2020, 11:29 AM
question everyone is thinking about, will James Neal's goal total be pro-rated?

tongue in cheek comment, aside, some hockey decisions, trades, performance bonuses etc were based on player success and team success. Will be interesting to see how some issues are arbitrated

sureLoss
03-12-2020, 11:30 AM
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Sources indicate preference is for a short break. No practice for teams. Evaluate day by day.

burn_baby_burn
03-12-2020, 11:30 AM
I wonder if and when season ticket holders will be reimbursed? Also, will they extend the renewal deadline? I would rather have the cash than a credit with all the uncertainty in the world right now.

sureLoss
03-12-2020, 11:31 AM
Chris Johnston @reporterchris
The NHL season has officially been suspended. No surprise. There is hope to resume.

JurassicTunga12
03-12-2020, 11:32 AM
Sucks, but makes sense obviously. Will be interesting how the NHL(along with the other leagues) handles the issues on the table in regards to schedule/standings/playoffs, the draft/free agency among other things.

WacoKid
03-12-2020, 11:34 AM

The reason for these steps is one thing only. The objective is to slow transmission to mitigate against hospitals being overrun with patients. There are limited available resources, from doctors and nurses to isolation rooms to ventilators. We are trying to avoid what’s happening in Italy as we speak - critically ill patients being allowed to die on the basis of age or infirmity.

The endgame is that the virus will, with mathematical certainty, infect millions.

djsFlames
03-12-2020, 11:34 AM

We don't know until it's a month or two down the road. No one can know one way or the other.

What annoys me about this board sometimes is people's knack for jumping way ahead to conclusions.

Just let it unfold and take things as they come. Because there are too many moving parts for any one of us to know for sure.

I know you want to play detective and the guy in the know, but nobody has that foresight in this situation. And that's what makes it so unprecedented.

shadowlord
03-12-2020, 11:35 AM
the 2019-20 season will forfeit $15 million in salary during the suspension and will henceforth be considered a "repeat offender"

NHLPA to file a grievance. Maintains that suspension to the 2019-20 season was not warranted, and that it was COVID-19 to blame.

NHL determines that upon review, the call on the ice stands.

Fans would normally be booing, but they're playing in an empty stadium.

TheScorpion
03-12-2020, 11:35 AM
NHL statement

JBR
03-12-2020, 11:36 AM
Our last memory of the NHL this season will be James Neal going top shelf on Mike Smith.

Boreal
03-12-2020, 11:36 AM

It's not about containment anymore. It's about minimizing or delaying the spread of the virus so that its effects do not overwhelm the capacity of the healthcare system.

Here's an excellent breakdown.

djsFlames
03-12-2020, 11:38 AM
Our mast memory of the NHL this season will be James Neal going top shelf on Mike Smith.

One of the best ways to end it, IMO.

Play of the year.

Parallex
That's going to be one bigass escrow hit the players take if the season ends up cancelled.

Cuz
Damn, I wanted my bobblehead :bag:

Matty81
03-12-2020, 11:39 AM
Sorry to hear it but not surprised. Been said but I also think this is going to disrupt life for a lot longer than a few weeks. Any of the public gathering/lockdown measures end and people start circulating and it is likely to just flare up again until a vaccine is ready. Probably going to be a low key few months with people allowed to shop and do necessities but everything else on hold.

I know it's not been confirmed but hard not to think that some turd hadn't been selling bat meat at a backalley market has the world on the brink of a recession.

Figure this season is a write off if I am guessing. Will be a ton of complexities to deal with. Draft and lottery, salary cap, even expansion draft eligibility for guys under the 10 games.

TheScorpion
03-12-2020, 11:40 AM

WhiteTiger
03-12-2020, 11:41 AM
Dammit, tonight's game was one of the very few I am able to get to in a season, and I was really looking forward to it. >.<

Salt Water Cowboy #10
03-12-2020, 11:41 AM
Maybe Gary and his Owner buddies can use this time to chat with the NHLPA about avoiding a lockout over the future CBA

Macindoc
03-12-2020, 11:43 AM
Maybe Gary and his Owner buddies can use this time to chat with the NHLPA about avoiding a lockout over the future CBA

Presumably by teleconference

Kovaz
03-12-2020, 11:44 AM
At this point I think the end-game is just to buy time to learn exactly how deadly + contagious this really is, and ramp up our testing + treatment capacity. For example South Korea has an insanely comprehensive testing regime and has tested more people than any other country, and so far their fatality rate is at 0.7%. Hopefully other countries can follow suit and in a month or so we can start rolling back countermeasures, but right now the reality is nobody knows exactly how bad it is.

N-E-B
03-12-2020, 11:44 AM
Smart move. Absolutely no way they could justify playing after a player who shares 10 stadiums with the NHL got it, especially knowing how careless that player was.

Nadal Fan
03-12-2020, 11:45 AM
Heads up if you bought tickets on Stub Hub they said if the game gets cancelled you have the option to either get 100% refunded OR 120% stub hub credit.

https://stubhub.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1001856

Beatle17
03-12-2020, 11:45 AM
It's not about containment anymore. It's about minimizing or delaying the spread of the virus so that its effects do not overwhelm the capacity of the healthcare system.

Here's an excellent breakdown.

Please do us all a favour and don't quote CNN for anything. Theybhave an agenda for all their coverage. If you must quote then use WHO or the CDC. Thanks

troutman
03-12-2020, 11:47 AM
The season flames fans all wanted to forget may be forgotten

But will Tre make changes this summer if he thinks this group didn't get a chance to test themselves in the playoffs?

OldDutch
03-12-2020, 11:47 AM
I know you want to play detective and the guy in the know, but nobody has that foresight in this situation. And that's what makes it so unprecedented.

No one is playing anything. Just asking questions worth asking. It doesn't mean I am trying to judge or play detective.

TheScorpion
03-12-2020, 11:48 AM
Anyone up for some Scrabble?

troutman
03-12-2020, 11:49 AM
Please do us all a favour and don't quote CNN for anything. Theybhave an agenda for all their coverage. If you must quote then use WHO or the CDC. Thanks

I think we can quote whoever we want, and the content will stand on its own merit if it is accurate.

Joborule
03-12-2020, 11:50 AM
Our last memory of the NHL this season will be James Neal going top shelf on Mike Smith.

This is why Edmonton cannot be good.

It's bad for the world.

E=NG

Yamer
03-12-2020, 11:51 AM

I'm going to regret this, but please enlighten us on CNN's agenda regarding this topic.

sureLoss
03-12-2020, 11:55 AM
https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/csec-statement-regarding-pause-on-nhl-season/c-316157230

The health, safety and well-being of our fans, staff and players remain the most important priority of Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation. CSEC is in full support of the National Hockey League's decision to pause the 2019-20 season due to COVID - 19.

As a result of this decision, the Flames home game this evening versus the New York Islanders and Saturday versus the Winnipeg Jets will not take place as originally scheduled. In addition, the National Lacrosse League game scheduled for this weekend at the Scotiabank Saddledome is suspended.

We are currently working on answers to frequently asked questions from our various stakeholders and it is our intention to communicate on a regular basis as this situation is fluid.

As with the NHL, we are hopeful to resume the season and playoffs when appropriate and prudent.

Winsor_Pilates
03-12-2020, 11:56 AM
He is quoting the CDC.
Basically every health authority is saying the same thing about social distancing and flattening the curve, so what does CNN's agenda have to do with the message?

Beatle17
03-12-2020, 11:58 AM
I think we can quote whoever we want, and the content will stand on its own merit if it is accurate.

No problem quote whomever you like. Just my opinion that CNN isn't the most reliable.

Otto29
I'm going to regret this, but please enlighten us on CNN's agenda regarding this topic.

Go watch CNN for 15 minutes and you will also believe end days are here.

Strange Brew
But will Tre make changes this summer if he thinks this group didn't get a chance to test themselves in the playoffs?

Wow. You may have nailed it there.

sekimet
03-12-2020, 11:59 AM

You obviously did not watch it, he literally is talking through info graphics from the CDC in order to make it more relatable to the common person.

GordonBlue
03-12-2020, 12:04 PM
Dammit, tonight's game was one of the very few I am able to get to in a season, and I was really looking forward to it. >.<

for the best. too many people who didn't take public health seriously. I noticed a guy in the other thread who was boasting about his extended travel in recent months who was still going to attend the game tonight.

you have a few hundred people like that in the arena mixed in with the other 19000 people...

not worth the risk.

TheScorpion
03-12-2020, 12:05 PM
So. My guess is the players forfeit their salary for the rest of the season? Does that get channeled into escrow somehow? Might that lead to a decently inflated salary cap in the near future?

Hey Connor, It's Mess
03-12-2020, 12:05 PM

Those two are the gift that keeps on giving the whole year

CaptainCrunch
03-12-2020, 12:06 PM
Good time to catch up on your netflix and Amazon shows. learn a new skill like sock puppetry or wood working.

Take the money that you saved from not going games to buy a vintage table hockey game and hold a one man tournament.

Rando
03-12-2020, 12:09 PM
I can't thank you (does anyone know why?) but thanks

Boreal
03-12-2020, 12:10 PM

Do yourself a favour & act & think like an adult who can consciously discern valid information no matter the source without devolving into oversimplified wilfully ignorant rhetoric.

Seriously.

TheScorpion
03-12-2020, 12:11 PM
I can't thank you (does anyone know why?) but thanks

There's a limit on how many you can distribute in a short period of time

TheIronMaiden
03-12-2020, 12:11 PM
Anyone up for some Scrabble?

Twitch streamers are going to make a killing.

Leeman4Gilmour
03-12-2020, 12:14 PM
Good time to catch up on your netflix and Amazon shows. .

This will be an upcoming first world problem......Can Shaw/Telus manage the increased usage of bandwidth :whistle:

Canada 02
03-12-2020, 12:14 PM
any guesses on the drop dead date to resume this season?

There were ~3 months remaining until the end of the Stanley Cup. I can't imagine they end the pause any later than mid-April, and resume the normal schedule. If they have a severely condensed schedule, like best of 3 or best of 5 in the playoffs, they might extend the drop dead date to May. Could they play into August? I'm assuming the season is over

AustinL_NHL
03-12-2020, 12:17 PM
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but in regards to the suspended season directly affecting the Flames, if the NHL were to resume again and the Playoffs go into July/August, that gives Valimaki much more time to heal and get back into game shape, which would then put the Flames in a tough position in terms of deciding whether to play him for potentially just a few games and making him another player they'd need to protect for the expansion draft, or keeping him out even though he might be fully healed by that point.

JohnnyB
03-12-2020, 12:17 PM
Yeah, suspended is better than cancelled, but this is probably just suspended until cancelled. The best I hope for at this point is going direct to an abbreviated playoffs with shorter series and some team gets the cup in the summer. There will be a lot of pressure to salvage some earnings, but we're probably a ways off this being under control enough to return to play.

Going best of 3 could finish off playoffs in a month.

Beatle17
03-12-2020, 12:19 PM
Do yourself a favour & act & think like an adult who can consciously discern valid information no matter the source without devolving into oversimplified wilfully ignorant rhetoric.

Seriously.

I analyze this virus very carefully as I am one of the high risk class with severe lung disease and a compromised immune system. I just don't trust anything from CNN. thank you very much.

And maybe respond in an adult manner before lecturing.

Torture
03-12-2020, 12:19 PM
Cancel Culture strikes again amiright? :whistle::whistle:

zamler
03-12-2020, 12:21 PM
Twitch streamers are going to make a killing.

Phrasing?

Cleveland Steam Whistle
03-12-2020, 12:27 PM

Apologies if this has already been said. But to your point, there is no stopping it. End game is to slow the speed of infection and "smooth" out the infection curve over a longer period of time, so that the health care systems do not become overwhelmed by it all hitting at once (Italy scenario) which in the end will save more lives because more people who end up needing treatment will be able to get it.

Canada 02
03-12-2020, 12:28 PM
according to Frank Seravalli, NHL player contracts expire on June 30th, so Stanley Cup playoffs would have to be complete by that date (unless an agreement could be reached with the NHLPA)

sureLoss
03-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Larry Brooks @NYP_Brooksie
Told by individuals on both labor and management side that it is unclear whether players will be paid during break.

Toonage
03-12-2020, 12:39 PM
Hope they saved their money.

sureLoss
03-12-2020, 12:41 PM
Tweets coming out of Dallas says the best case scenario is the NHL starts up again in 3 weeks to a month.

Roof-Daddy
03-12-2020, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't bet on any of the leagues starting up again anytime soon.

FlamesAddiction
03-12-2020, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't bet on any of the leagues starting up again anytime soon.

Yeah, we are weeks behind Asia and Europe and they are still cancelling/postponing events.

I also think that the geography here will see it dragged out (larger open spaces between large centers).

I think the right decision was made to suspend the season and I think it will likely be cancelled eventually, but if you told me a month ago that it would get to this point, I wouldn't have believed it.

Muta
03-12-2020, 01:02 PM
Man, the Oilers will go to any length to not have to give up that 3rd rounder to Calgary

Strange Brew
03-12-2020, 01:13 PM
Yeah, we are weeks behind Asia and Europe and they are still cancelling/postponing events.

I also think that the geography here will see it dragged out (larger open spaces between large centers).

I think the right decision was made to suspend the season and I think it will likely be cancelled eventually, but if you told me a month ago that it would get to this point, I wouldn't have believed it.

As I understand it, that is a good thing.

dino7c
03-12-2020, 01:19 PM
1/3 of Americans have no health coverage...I can't see this improving anytime soon

1Nite
03-12-2020, 01:20 PM

Are you a moron? Agenda? Get your head out of your tinfoil ass!

FlamesAddiction
03-12-2020, 01:25 PM
As I understand it, that is a good thing.

For dealing with the sick, it probably is.

But for timeline, I would expect to see it spiking in different regions at different times, making it difficult to resume the season before the end of summer.

East Coast Flame
03-12-2020, 01:25 PM
I just don't trust anything from CNN. thank you very much.

https://i.imgur.com/jw6kF41.gif?noredirect

timbit
03-12-2020, 01:29 PM
1/3 of Americans have no health coverage...I can't see this improving anytime soon

8.5%
An estimated 27.5 million people, 8.5% of the population, went without health insurance in 2018.

CSharp
Man, the COVID-19 is really starting to hit close to home. Bank branches in NW closed down to be cleaned and another case at Suncor building where a kid in daycare was tested positive yesterday. Wasn't surprised by the NHL suspending its operations today after the NBA did that last night.

Resolute 14
A tinfoil hat wearing moron criticizing an informative post because he hates the Libz CNN demanding people behave in an "adult manner" is pretty hilarious.

CaptainYooh
03-12-2020, 01:31 PM
So, hypothetically speaking, if the season does not resume and, eventually, gets cancelled, what happens to players' contractual clauses that depend on various performance measures, which can no longer be achieved this season? Are players' contracts insured in some way against force majeure? Media contracts?

Also, are game tickets refundable or lost?

shadowlord
03-12-2020, 01:36 PM
So, hypothetically speaking, if the season does not resume and, eventually, gets cancelled, what happens to players' contractual clauses that depend on various performance measures, which can no longer be achieved this season? Are players' contracts insured in some way against force majeure? Media contracts?

Definitely a lot of questions to which I have no answers.

But something to consider, if they decide to use a prorated scale of 70 games played, would the dollar-amount of the bonus also be prorated? Should it be?

Geeoff
03-12-2020, 01:40 PM
Man, the Oilers will go to any length to not have to give up that 3rd rounder to Calgary
Also, the Flames gave up picks for rental players which would kinda suck if the season gets cancelled, since they have barely played any games

dino7c
03-12-2020, 01:40 PM
8.5%
An estimated 27.5 million people, 8.5% of the population, went without health insurance in 2018.

Well it depends who you ask and what the criteria is...many more than that are grossly under insured.

bubbsy
03-12-2020, 01:45 PM
A tinfoil hat wearing moron criticizing an informative post because he hates the Libz CNN demanding people behave in an "adult manner" is pretty hilarious.

To be honest, as I heard the news last night through WhatsApp/twitter, I turned into CNN where, at the moment I tuned it, the topic had been politicized and they were discussing how Trump's portrayal of the virus in his speech was xenophobic ("foreign virus") was annoying. I immediately turned to another station, and went to my twitter feed where I basically follow practically all the main news coverage here in Canada and the US.

In this day & age I think it's completely understandable for folks, regardless of where they fall on the political spectrum, to not be able to tune in to particular news stations, as they have become more polarizing than the parties themselves.

Resolute 14
03-12-2020, 01:46 PM
Trump's speeches have been, objectively, xenophobic. If you're getting angry because a spade is being called a spade, well....

timbit
03-12-2020, 01:48 PM
Well it depends who you ask and what the criteria is...many more than that are grossly under insured.

I was responding to your comment, “1/3 of Americans have no health coverage”.

That is simply not true.

8.5 % is the factually correct answer.

tvp2003
03-12-2020, 01:48 PM

I would have to think that if the bonuses weren't hit, they weren't hit. You can say it's not "fair" but we're likely past that point, especially if the rest of the season/playoffs are lost. Some players might lose out, but the teams will undoubtedly lose much more in gate revenues (especially in the playoffs).

As for tickets, I'm pretty sure they're refundable if you've purchased from ticketmaster; STH'ers will probably end up with a credit (instead of a full refund). Of course, games are only "suspended" right now so if they do resume, I would imagine your current ticket(s) would be valid for the re-scheduled game.

Geeoff
03-12-2020, 01:50 PM

At the end of the day, player salaries are linked to league revenue, so they get the same amount (although it might change distribution I suppose)

Yamer
03-12-2020, 01:59 PM
To be honest, as I heard the news last night through WhatsApp/twitter, I turned into CNN where, at the moment I tuned it, the topic had been politicized and they were discussing how Trump's portrayal of the virus in his speech was xenophobic ("foreign virus") was annoying. I immediately turned to another station, and went to my twitter feed where I basically follow practically all the main news coverage here in Canada and the US.

In this day & age I think it's completely understandable for folks, regardless of where they fall on the political spectrum, to not be able to tune in to particular news stations, as they have become more polarizing than the parties themselves.

There's a difference between being annoyed by the constant political slant of the news - even if it is calling out the fat orange goblin for propagating highly dangerous rhetoric - and not trusting it for that reason.

GioforPM
03-12-2020, 02:10 PM
8.5%

A lot more are underinsured. However, the number was much higher pre-Obamacare.

Boreal
03-12-2020, 02:32 PM
I analyze this virus very carefully as I am one of the high risk class with severe lung disease and a compromised immune system. I just don't trust anything from CNN. thank you very much.

I did respond like an adult. I went out of my way not to refer to your response as as useless borderline insane stupidity.

What exactly in the CNN piece didn’t meet your high standard?

If I was immunocompromised I would want every possible action taken to minimize the risk.

Gondi Stylez
03-12-2020, 02:36 PM

That is simply not true.

It's about 84 million (uninsured AND underinsured) - which is essentially 1/3 of the American population

https://www.uphelp.org/nearly-half-all-american-adults-are-uninsured-or-underinsured

Robbob
03-12-2020, 02:47 PM
Any STH get any email or communication from the flames?

Envitro
03-12-2020, 02:52 PM
Nothing so far in my inbox, I've been checking quite regularly

Jiginla1212
03-12-2020, 02:53 PM
Any STH get any email or communication from the flames?

Was just about to ask this question. I haven’t heard anything as of yet.

WacoKid
03-12-2020, 02:56 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/65os7odbIW6pa/giphy.gif

sureLoss
03-12-2020, 03:06 PM
so looks like players will still get payed and are being told to stay at their in-season homes

Sara Orlesky
@saraorlesky
Mark Chipman says that #NHLJets players are being instructed to head to their homes in Winnipeg and wait for further instructions. He also says that they will be paid. #NHL

dino7c
03-12-2020, 03:09 PM

That is simply not true.

1/3 aren't properly insured, better?

It will have the same result...partial coverage is irrelevant if you can't obtain the care you need

AustinL_NHL
03-12-2020, 03:12 PM

That is simply not true.

It's about 84 million (uninsured AND underinsured) - which is essentially 1/3 of the American population

https://www.uphelp.org/nearly-half-all-american-adults-are-uninsured-or-underinsured

1/3 aren't properly insured, better?

It will have the same result...partial coverage is irrelevant if you can't obtain the care you need

Big news that's not being passed around quick enough

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1238155454108151808

sureLoss
03-12-2020, 03:13 PM
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
The #Flames have a news conference set for 4 pm at the Saddledome. We will carry it live on @Sportsnet960.

Vinny01
03-12-2020, 03:17 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1238098777036271616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1238098777036271616&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hockeyfeed.com%2Fnhl-news%2Fofficial-playoff-standings-if-the-nhl-elects-to-cancel-the-2019-20-regular-season

I haven’t checked if this is posted. If they cancel the season and start the playoffs the Flames finish 2nd wildcard and play the Blues in round 1

Nufy
03-12-2020, 03:19 PM

Own goal or bad deflection...

Link for LOL's ???

Leeman4Gilmour
03-12-2020, 03:24 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1238098777036271616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1238098777036271616&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hockeyfeed.com%2Fnhl-news%2Fofficial-playoff-standings-if-the-nhl-elects-to-cancel-the-2019-20-regular-season

I haven’t checked if this is posted. If they cancel the season and start the playoffs the Flames finish 2nd wildcard and play the Blues in round 1

St. Louis in the first round isn't ideal but it could be worse...we could be in Winnipeg's shoes.

transplant99
03-12-2020, 03:26 PM

underinsured is not uninsured.

So what you are pointing out has nothing to do with what timbit said....literally nothing.

Patek23
03-12-2020, 03:29 PM
Just recieved a STH email was fairly brief just says that all the tickets in my account will remain there and as it stands will be valid on the rescheduled dates. As well as to check the flames website for further updates. That's it.

Gondi Stylez
03-12-2020, 03:42 PM

So what you are pointing out has nothing to do with what timbit said....literally nothing.

Semantics aside, with regards to COVID-19 (and in general for that matter), being underinsured means that you don't have the security in knowing if you'll get medical care if you need it.

Reagdless, I know that uninsured and underinsured are technically not the same thing. But it should be acknowledged that, in practice, they often have the same outcome.

WhiteTiger
03-12-2020, 03:45 PM
for the best. too many people who didn't take public health seriously. I noticed a guy in the other thread who was boasting about his extended travel in recent months who was still going to attend the game tonight.

you have a few hundred people like that in the arena mixed in with the other 19000 people...

not worth the risk.

Oh, yeah. I understand, agree with and accept it...but I'm still a bit disappointed, as I was looking forward to going. ;)

Passe La Puck
03-12-2020, 03:47 PM

As someone who has seen what "insured" looks like down there for typical people. It may as well be treated as "uninsured". You still have to be able to pay to do even the most basic things, sometimes significant amounts.

calbow
03-12-2020, 04:40 PM

LOL That's a good one..Saw that on last night's game..LOL..Suck it Oilers!

taxbuster
03-12-2020, 05:02 PM
The sports networks are gonna go crazy in the interim. Reruns...lots of reruns....sigh. Sports are usually the one bright spot during difficult times.

Mass_nerder
03-12-2020, 05:25 PM
Bring on the EA NHL 2020 Stanley Cup playoffs on Twitch!

Flamenspiel
03-12-2020, 06:34 PM

That’s just an unofficial tweet, the official NHL standings are based on points and I do not see that changing. NHL.COM still has the Flames in third. Why would they change that? It makes no sense.

sureLoss
03-12-2020, 06:38 PM
That’s just an unofficial tweet, the official NHL standings are based on points and I do not see that changing. NHL.COM still has the Flames in third. Why would they change that? It makes no sense.

Well because not every team has played the same amount of games.

Points percentage makes more sense when there is an uneven number of games played.

Flamenspiel
03-12-2020, 06:42 PM
^^it would come down to NHL rules and how they apply. I don’t see how one is more fair then the other or if that is even relevant. The year after the strike, was the lottery for Crosby really fair? You could argue that a compressed schedule leads to a poorer win percentage and that is not “fair”.

Scroopy Noopers
03-12-2020, 06:44 PM
^^it would come down to NHL rules and how they apply. I don’t see how one is more fair then the other or if that is even relevant. The year after the strike, was the lottery for Crosby really fair?

.... yes.

When they actually played, the worst teams drafted early the year before.

No teams played before the Crosby draft so they balanced a bunch of factors.

CroFlames
03-12-2020, 06:51 PM
Ovi potentially misses out on a historic 9th 50 goal season and a chance at 7th all time on the list.

dino7c
03-12-2020, 06:56 PM
Budwiser light just told me 5 mins until game time...not sure how to break it to him

Boreal
03-12-2020, 07:00 PM

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

As a politician, community leader or business leader, you have the power and the responsibility to prevent this.
You might have fears today: What if I overreact? Will people laugh at me? Will they be angry at me? Will I look stupid? Won’t it be better to wait for others to take steps first? Will I hurt the economy too much?
But in 2–4 weeks, when the entire world is in lockdown, when the few precious days of social distancing you will have enabled will have saved lives, people won’t criticize you anymore: They will thank you for making the right decision.
Ok, let’s do this.

In this theoretical model that resembles loosely Hubei, waiting one more day creates 40% more cases! So, maybe, if the Hubei authorities had declared the lockdown on 1/22 instead of 1/23, they might have reduced the number of cases by a staggering 20k.

Flamenspiel
03-12-2020, 07:01 PM
No teams played before the Crosby draft so they balanced a bunch of factors.

Lol, of course that’s always fair... when “they” balance it.

Yrebmi
03-12-2020, 07:08 PM
Well because not every team has played the same amount of games.

Points percentage makes more sense when there is an uneven number of games played.

Alternatively they could roll back each team to 68 games.
It's never going to be fair though, when you take into consideration home and away games played, along with difficulty of opponents.

That's if there even is playoffs at all which seems unlikely right now IMO.

bubbsy
03-12-2020, 07:43 PM
That article posted by freidmann is scary as hell....

Boreal
03-12-2020, 07:45 PM
Ovi potentially misses out on a historic 9th 50 goal season and a chance at 7th all time on the list.

A that’s a small price to pay to watch Oiler fans p**s & moan about missing the playoffs and stating it as proof that the NHL is conspiring against them.

The Cobra
03-12-2020, 08:32 PM
Alternatively they could roll back each team to 68 games.

It's never going to be fair though, when you take into consideration home and away games played, along with difficulty of opponents.

That's if there even is playoffs at all which seems unlikely right now IMO.

While no method might be entirely fair, winning % certainly comes closest by far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigRed
03-12-2020, 09:48 PM

Gif?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getbak
03-12-2020, 09:52 PM
gif?

BigRed
03-12-2020, 10:10 PM

It would be even better if it counted as Neals 20th and gave us that 3rd rd pick ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djsFlames
03-12-2020, 10:16 PM
Should go by projected goals if they don't finish the season.

Your third is belong to us.

powderjunkie
03-13-2020, 03:48 PM
It's hard to imagine the season re-starting at this moment (though it is somewhat plausible in empty stadia), but if they do, I doubt they jump immediately into the playoffs with game 1.

Another option, that might be tremendously unpopular, is to go with only the top 8 teams and make it 3 rounds. Shorter time period and easier logistically...

Pretty stark contrasts from 2nd to 3rd in the ATL and CEN. The team hard-done-by would be the Pens with 86 pts, while the Oilers 83pts in 2 more games would be especially lucky to get in. Pens have a much higher pt% (.623); DAL and CAR also have ~.595 compared to Oilers at .585

Single game showdown between Pens and Oilers for the last spot in the west. Then seed each conference by random draw? Or stay within division...

Home-ice advantage would be less significant in empty stadiums. Maybe you play first 3 at the lower seed's rink, and last 4* at the higher seed (to reduce travel risks). Who has last change could still follow the usual 2-2-1-1-1 pattern...

CorsiHockeyLeague
03-13-2020, 03:54 PM
^ Yeah, so, none of that is happening.

GioforPM
03-14-2020, 06:01 AM
I wonder how conditional events in contracts, trades, etc, are going to play out. Some players have games played bonuses. Some trades change depending on whether the team makes the POs, games played by the traded guy etc. And of course, Neal never gets his 21 goals if the season stops.

keenan87
03-14-2020, 09:47 AM
I wonder how conditional events in contracts, trades, etc, are going to play out. Some players have games played bonuses. Some trades change depending on whether the team makes the POs, games played by the traded guy etc. And of course, Neal never gets his 21 goals if the season stops.

Honestly, when is the last time Neal has scored a goal. That guy has been a bum after his hot start.

Lubicon
03-14-2020, 10:57 AM

I have zero experience in contract law and these situations are clearly uncharted waters. But to me it would be logical and fair to prorate performance targets and also the payout value of those bonuses. But when has fairness and logic ever factored in. The deals that are tied to making playoffs etc. are a different matter altogether.

GioforPM
03-16-2020, 02:45 PM
I have zero experience in contract law and these situations are clearly uncharted waters. But to me it would be logical and fair to prorate performance targets and also the payout value of those bonuses. But when has fairness and logic ever factored in. The deals that are tied to making playoffs etc. are a different matter altogether.

Unfortunately, I doubt that’s how it will work. Either the contract condition will be said not to have been reached or the whole thing will be voided somehow. Unless they agree globally with the union on such things.

It would be great for the Flames if the Neal condition was prorated.

GioforPM
03-16-2020, 02:45 PM
Honestly, when is the last time Neal has scored a goal. That guy has been a bum after his hot start.

Scored a goal in the last game. ;)

The Cobra
03-16-2020, 02:52 PM

If the parties wanted the amounts pro-rated in case of a lockout or whatever, they would have said so. Presumably they didn't, so if Neal doesn't reach 21 goals, he Flames don't get the draft pick.

It is no different than if Neal got injured.

Reggie Dunlop
03-16-2020, 03:04 PM
The AHL is advising its member teams to send their players home. The season will not be resumed.

Tsawwassen
03-17-2020, 04:32 AM
The sports networks are gonna go crazy in the interim. Reruns...lots of reruns....sigh. Sports are usually the one bright spot during difficult times.d2M0MUwNJps

Strange Brew
03-17-2020, 08:40 AM
The AHL is advising its member teams to send their players home. The season will not be resumed.

Well that’s not what it says, unless you’re offering commentary.

Makes no sense for players to hang around in Stockton for next two months. I’m surprised they hadn’t released them before now.

But since there no AHL TV money I agree it’s very unlikely they play anymore this year.

sureLoss
03-17-2020, 01:26 PM
per TSN a group of players are working on the following proposal to get to the PA and then present to the NHL

https://i.imgur.com/IGTetZN.png?1

TheScorpion
03-17-2020, 01:30 PM
So we could be going to training camp 2.0 at the Stampede?

Very interesting. Wonder if they'll bring up guys like Czarnik etc for one last run through the gauntlet.

This is gonna be such a weird weird season. We may never see anything like it ever again.

FlamesAddiction
03-17-2020, 01:43 PM
per TSN a group of players are working on the following proposal to get to the PA and then present to the NHL

Seems kind of optimistic at this point, but we will see I guess.

This thing just spiked in a few countries and it will probably be months before it tapers off enough to resume normal activities.

If we are serious about flattening the curve, it means avoiding the "spike" that other countries had, but dragging it out over a longer period.

Vinny01
03-17-2020, 02:06 PM

Very interesting.

My birthday is August 2nd it would be pretty sweet going to a Flames playoff game that day

Press Level
03-17-2020, 02:20 PM
Honestly, if we're out of quarantine by July, the last thing that I will be doing is sitting in front of my TV watching hockey. Stick a fork in this season. It's done.

Jetfire
03-17-2020, 02:28 PM

Wow. I mean if the majority of the players are willing to sacrifice their summer recovery time to make the end of this season happen, good on them I guess. I imagine the fatigue and injuries could be pretty bad though in the 20-21 season, hopping into a new regular season with only a month between the finals ending.

Textcritic
03-17-2020, 04:41 PM
Wow. I mean if the majority of the players are willing to sacrifice their summer recovery time to make the end of this season happen, good on them I guess. I imagine the fatigue and injuries could be pretty bad though in the 20-21 season, hopping into a new regular season with only a month between the finals ending.
But on the other end, the players will be entering the playoffs in prime physical condition after a three-month break. All playoff teams will most likely be completely healthy to start, which would be entirely novel.

I still think professional sports before Oct 2020 is a pipe-dream. Maybe the NFL gets going on schedule, but I see that as the most optimistic scenario.

Vedder
03-17-2020, 04:46 PM
Honestly, if we're out of quarantine by July, the last thing that I will be doing is sitting in front of my TV watching hockey. Stick a fork in this season. It's done.

Can't blame the players for getting creative. I think there will still be a big market for their proposed solution, and hockey related revenue is going to get crushed if they do nothing. I'm not a CBA expert, but everyone's piece of the pie is shrinking, and this would mitigate some of those effects.

colbym72
03-17-2020, 05:05 PM
https://www.twitch.tv/colbym72

Flames vs Islanders stream

Scroopy Noopers
03-17-2020, 06:27 PM
https://www.twitch.tv/colbym72

Flames vs Islanders stream

Jankow out for the faceoff, no timeout, with 30 seconds left.

Just like the real thing!!!!

Saqe
03-17-2020, 07:53 PM

This would require contract extensions after July 1st for players that need one, that's another thing that is completely uncharted territory. How would that play out? Also if this schedule holds it would mean also the Olympics will be played, maybe the tv ratings would take a hit since it's summer and most don't want to be glued to the tv. Plus a condensed schedule.

Seems like a reach on top of being a long shot to be able to start in June.

dino7c
03-17-2020, 09:15 PM

I think somebody should tell the players there are more important things to worry about right now...seems they are just worried about the cap going down

flamesrule_kipper34
03-17-2020, 09:27 PM
I think somebody should tell the players there are more important things to worry about right now...seems they are just worried about the cap going down

People need something to look forward to (including players).

At the bare minimum it's something to do and think about (or distract from), I don't blame them at all even if it's all for naught.

calgaryred
03-17-2020, 09:29 PM
Let it go I hope Flames focus on putting a team together that will play every month of the next season with a coach that has experience

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

dino7c
03-17-2020, 09:32 PM
People need something to look forward to (including players).

At the bare minimum it's something to do and think about (or distract from), I don't blame them at all even if it's all for naught.

It hasn't even been a week and honestly its not up to the players anyway

Resolute 14
03-18-2020, 03:45 PM

Ok, so what are you suggesting here, that the players should be on the front lines treating people?

There's nothing they can do about Corona that they aren't already. But there is nothing at all wrong with making contingency plans for how and when they can return to their jobs.

hwy19man
03-18-2020, 04:47 PM
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/03/18/nba-season-december-start/

Joborule
03-19-2020, 09:42 AM
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/03/18/nba-season-december-start/

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think most basketball fans and the TV execs. will be down for it. As acknowledged in the article, summer time is a down time for TV because people are on vacations and want to be outside. Being inside an enclosed arena during a hot summer day doesn't sound enticing even if the games are big since it's playoffs.

Baseball is the perfect sport for the summer because a great majority of stadiums are outdoors, or have retractable roofs with a design that incorporates a lot of natural lighting. Watching baseball inside a closed off dome while it's sunny outside sucks, and teams that are in those type of venues are either looking to move into new stadiums, or pull off a massive reno (Toronto Blue Jays - Rogers Centre) to bring in more natural lighting.

This summer is the only time that having playoffs go late into summer would be acceptable to most I figure.

Sidney Crosby's Hat
03-19-2020, 02:36 PM
Anyone really bored today, the Flames were supposed to play the Devils tonight and the Devils are streaming an EA Sports sim of the game at 5 PM:

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/blog-devils-to-stream-simulated-game-versus-calgary/c-316221000