PDA

View Full Version : Mar 10 Practice Notes. Hanifin not on the ice.

sureLoss
03-10-2020, 11:00 AM
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
Noah Hanifin is not on the ice for practice this morning.

He left Sunday’s game vs. Vegas early in the first period with an upper body injury. #Flames

Toonage
03-10-2020, 11:03 AM
Hope they provide an update. Steinberg suggested that it wasn't going to be as bad as first thought. At least he thought so.

jlh2640
03-10-2020, 11:13 AM
Hamonic ready to return and Kylington waiting we are ok if its a week to week thing at least

sureLoss
03-10-2020, 11:26 AM
Wes Gilbertson
@WesGilbertson
#Flames D Travis Hamonic paired with D TJ Brodie at practice today.

Derek Wills @Fan960Wills
#Flames defence pairings at practice w/o Hanifin:

Giordano-Andersson
Brodie-Hamonic
Forbort-Gustafsson
Kylington-Stone

GranteedEV
03-10-2020, 11:29 AM
oof

sureLoss
03-10-2020, 11:33 AM
#Flames at practice today:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Mangiapane-Backlund-Tkachuk
Lucic-Ryan-Dube
Bennett-Jankowski-Rieder/Rinaldo

Giordano-Andersson
Brodie-Hamonic
Forbort-Gustafsson
Kylington-Stone

foofighter15
03-10-2020, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't rush Hamonic back in. Let him heal up before the playoffs and give Kylington a game to keep him loose

Gio - Brodie
Andersson - Kylington
Forbort - Gustafsson

sureLoss
03-10-2020, 12:04 PM
Travis Hamonic says “we’re hoping” for a return to action on Thursday vs. New York. Says he’s felt good the last two full practices.

Geeoff
03-10-2020, 12:06 PM
I've always felt like Brodie and Hamonic don't work well together...

djsFlames
03-10-2020, 12:07 PM
Travis Hamonic says “we’re hoping” for a return to action on Thursday vs. New York. Says he’s felt good the last two full practices.

Feel free to munch on some popcorn a little longer dude.

sureLoss
03-10-2020, 12:44 PM
Coach Ward says he doesn’t think Noah Hanifin’s upper body injury will be a long-term one.

Unsure of his status for Thursday. #Flames

Derek Wills @Fan960Wills
Geoff Ward says Noah Hanifin is going through protocol. Ward added Hanifin feels good today but #Flames are going to take it one day at a time. Didn’t rule out a return on Thursday.

Toonage
03-10-2020, 12:50 PM
Good news!

Gaskal
03-10-2020, 01:00 PM
oof
Yeah this "round peg in a square hole" crap is truly pissing me off. Put Brodie with someone he can work with.

Someone else. ANYONE ELSE.

https://media.tenor.com/images/1cd340e4ad34ee806f2ec20d49b70634/tenor.gif

Pretty much every advanced metric you can think of - Corsi, Fenwick, shots for, goals & expected goals for, scoring chances for, etc blah blah blah. They all seem to ####ing suck when those two are paired up.

FanIn80
03-10-2020, 01:19 PM
I’m so beyond caring about whatever “crazy new lineup” they come up with.

At this point, they either win games or miss the playoffs. They mathematically no longer have the luxury of “winning when we feel like it.” It’s literally win or miss, and anything else is just “stfu” for me because the ice is the only thing I’m listening to now.

Rejean31
03-10-2020, 05:21 PM
Yes, let’s pair Brodie up with Hamonic because it’s worked so well before!! I don’t get it. If the average fan can see it doesn’t work, then how come the coaches can’t ?

SuperMatt18
03-10-2020, 05:27 PM
Giordano - Brodie
Gustaffsson - Andersson
Forbort - Hamonic

or

Giordano - Brodie
Gustaffsson - Hamonic
Forbort - Andersson

Those should be the pairings...this shouldn't be that hard. No reason at all to break up Giordano and Brodie.

Fire of the Phoenix
03-10-2020, 05:36 PM
Lol hamonic is a 5/6 why doesn't this coaching staff get it? Respecting the veteran is my guess. Personally I'd be more worried about winning hockey games but whatevs.

Gio
Brodie
Andersson
Hanifin
Forbort

Are all better

Put hamonic on the bottom pair with gus. It's just that easy.

Gio Brodie
Forbort Andersson
Gustafsson Hamonic

Then when hanifin comes back go with

Gio Brodie
Hanifin andersson
Forbort Hamonic

Dress 11 forwards and 7 d so you can rotate gus in on the pp and spot 4th line shifts

DeluxeMoustache
03-10-2020, 06:33 PM
When Hanifin comes back I’d like to see:

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Forbort-Gustafsson

Moneyhands23
03-10-2020, 06:43 PM
I keep wondering where Killington fits in. I like him, but he is just not getting any ice time

Fire of the Phoenix
03-10-2020, 07:13 PM
I keep wondering where Killington fits in. I like him, but he is just not getting any ice timeI'd bet a dollar he is traded this off season. It is apparent that management and coaches do not trust him.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

dammage79
03-10-2020, 07:16 PM
I'd bet a dollar he is traded this off season. It is apparent that management and coaches do not trust him.

Pretty bold statement regarding a 1st year NHL player. If Bennett is any proof, the Flames will be patient with their young players.

browna
03-10-2020, 08:45 PM
Pretty bold statement regarding a 1st year NHL player. If Bennett is any proof, the Flames will be patient with their young players.

I can see it. Assuming Valamaki is good to go, Flames have a glut of D. And if they have or want to make some trades to change a significant dynamic if the team in the offseason, the moves they make can’t be shipping out junk to get any sort of return. Also, expansion draft...

There a dedicated Bennett thread, but IMO there’s a part of ego involved with the Flames being so loyal. If Sam was a third round pick, not 4th overall, there may have been a lot less of a leash over these past years.

Fire of the Phoenix
03-10-2020, 09:05 PM
Pretty bold statement regarding a 1st year NHL player. If Bennett is any proof, the Flames will be patient with their young players.He's a 2nd year player and 2 years in a row management has decided to bump him out of the lineup when it matters most. I think we are in for a mostly reconstructed blue line built around gio, hanifin, valimaki, andersson and maybe one of our ufa guys. I like Kylington but I think he will be traded in a package deal for help elsewhere.

Toonage
03-11-2020, 09:38 AM
I think Kylington would have low trade value at this point. Given they will need depth defenders making less than $1M I could easily see him signed for a few more years at like $900k

Textcritic
03-11-2020, 09:53 AM
I think Kylington would have low trade value at this point...On his own, yes. But I think it is more likely he would be moved in a larger package if Kylington ends up being traded this summer.

Fire of the Phoenix
03-11-2020, 10:47 AM
I think Kylington would have low trade value at this point. Given they will need depth defenders making less than $1M I could easily see him signed for a few more years at like $900kWhy would Kylington sign a 3x 0.9m contract? Makes no sense, why would he do the flames a solid like that. It'll be one year for 0.7m or something.

He makes the most sense as a trade chip, I think he has the relative value of a 2nd round pick, maybe a 3rd. Management will want vets on the bottom pair. I think Forbort will be re-signed to something cheapish and they will find a couple depth vets to round out the d. Hamonic will walk, as will Brodie. They will have to choose between forbort and gus, I think they choose the actual defenseman. With valimaki back next year, I really don't see a spot for Kylington, especially with how the coaches and management purposely bury him.

Kylington+bennett+1st gets you something decent for instance. Could add another top 6 forward with that kind of offer. They could maybe find that elusive RW the team has lacked for years.

Gaskal
03-11-2020, 11:45 AM
If all of Brodie, Hamonic, Stone and Gustaffson walk in the offseason that immediately leaves a deep hole on RD. I could see Kylington being switched to the right side then as he is reportedly comfortable playing the right, much like Brodie. Wasn't Hartley always saying you need to be an excellent skater to play your off-side as a D anyway?

He is waivers exempt until the 2020-21 season so I don't expect a decision to be made on his future with the team until then either, logjam or not.

Flash Walken
03-11-2020, 11:59 AM
There a dedicated Bennett thread, but IMO there’s a part of ego involved with the Flames being so loyal. If Sam was a third round pick, not 4th overall, there may have been a lot less of a leash over these past years.

If the Ducks were offering Lindholm or a 1st round pick two years ago and now they are offering a 3rd round pick, I dont think the ego is with the leash...

Fire of the Phoenix
03-11-2020, 02:43 PM
If all of Brodie, Hamonic, Stone and Gustaffson walk in the offseason that immediately leaves a deep hole on RD. I could see Kylington being switched to the right side then as he is reportedly comfortable playing the right, much like Brodie. Wasn't Hartley always saying you need to be an excellent skater to play your off-side as a D anyway?

He is waivers exempt until the 2020-21 season so I don't expect a decision to be made on his future with the team until then either, logjam or not.Gio Andersson
Hanifin- x
Valimaki - x

I think they try Hanifin on the right side on pair 2 unless they sign a guy like Vatanen. I think they might bring Forbort or Gus back, depending on price. Valimaki will be broken in slowly on pair 3 most likely. I doubt he is paired with Kylington and neither valimaki or Kylington will be on the 2nd pair. I think the writing is on the wall for Oliver, even with things so up in the air on D. I think there is really only one 'x' to fill as I doubt BT lets all 4 ufas walk. I really doubt Kylington is that guy.

He and Bennett still have some value and it wouldn't shock me at all of they were packaged together.

Monahammer
03-11-2020, 02:48 PM
If the Ducks were offering Lindholm or a 1st round pick two years ago and now they are offering a 3rd round pick, I dont think the ego is with the leash...

No way the Ducks ever offered us Lindholm for Bennett.

Fire of the Phoenix
03-11-2020, 02:49 PM
Nm

Gaskal
03-11-2020, 03:06 PM
Gio Andersson
Hanifin- x
Valimaki - x

I think they try Hanifin on the right side on pair 2 unless they sign a guy like Vatanen. I think they might bring Forbort or Gus back, depending on price. Valimaki will be broken in slowly on pair 3 most likely. I doubt he is paired with Kylington and neither valimaki or Kylington will be on the 2nd pair. I think the writing is on the wall for Oliver, even with things so up in the air on D. I think there is really only one 'x' to fill as I doubt BT lets all 4 ufas walk. I really doubt Kylington is that guy.
My gut feeling is that Brodie and Gus will walk for family reasons. No hard feelings as that should always be your #1 priority.

Sounds like they are in discussions with Hamonic but I believe they let him walk elsewhere that are offering more dollars and term. Win-win! Everyone breathes a sigh of relief.

Stone I think comes back. He's good at sitting and being a good teammate about it. Still on the payroll because of the buyout penalty, so hey if we're already paying him..

Vatanen would be really nice on Valimaki's right, but as a pending UFA he's going to want term and probably $5-6 million a year. Are you prepared to shell that out for a 2nd or 3rd pairing defenceman and do you feel like the Flames are able to outbid other prospective teams in doing so?

Toonage
03-11-2020, 03:08 PM
I think Gustafsson will end up liking it in Calgary enough that they can retain him. Especially at a modest raise.

He might love Chicago, but they weren't entirely in love with him apparently.

DeluxeMoustache
03-11-2020, 03:15 PM
Gaskal I hope your gut feel is wrong

Brodie has been here for 9 full seasons now. Family reasons is a curious reason to suggest he would leave, as you do get pretty firmly established in a city in a decade.

I would not see Vatanen as any kind of upgrade on Brodie either

Harry Lime
03-11-2020, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't mind Gustafsson at all, if he wanted to stay for a modest raise. 2.4M/per would double his salary. The other player that I would be going after is Demelo (currently in Winnipeg). He is a plug and play, forget about him defenseman who is only making 900K, and would be looking for a contract in the same (or less) realm as Gusafsson.

For the bottom pairing, I'm really happy with what I've seen so far out of Yelesin.

Giordano - Andersson
Hanafin - Demelo/Gusafsson
Valamaki - Yelesin
Kylington

Looks good. I would want Kylington to get more reps somehow.

Flash Walken
03-11-2020, 03:43 PM
No way the Ducks ever offered us Lindholm for Bennett.

united seems to think they did:

Too bad the Flames and Ducks couldn’t get the pre-expansion trade that had Bennett and Lindholm as the main pieces over the finish line. Would have been a huge win for the Flames as tough as it would have been to see Bennett leave and join a division rival. The Flames didn’t want to lose the physicality and intangible aspect of Bennett’s positive impact in the dressing room, but overrated those impacts relative to what Lindholm was going to deliver.

Fire of the Phoenix
03-11-2020, 04:08 PM
My gut feeling is that Brodie and Gus will walk for family reasons. No hard feelings as that should always be your #1 priority.

Sounds like they are in discussions with Hamonic but I believe they let him walk elsewhere that are offering more dollars and term. Win-win! Everyone breathes a sigh of relief.

Stone I think comes back. He's good at sitting and being a good teammate about it. Still on the payroll because of the buyout penalty, so hey if we're already paying him..

Vatanen would be really nice on Valimaki's right, but as a pending UFA he's going to want term and probably $5-6 million a year. Are you prepared to shell that out for a 2nd or 3rd pairing defenceman and do you feel like the Flames are able to outbid other prospective teams in doing so?I just brought up Vatanen as an idea, it would depend on price but I could see him getting Gardiner's deal from last year. Free agency is weird though so you could be right but personally I think he ends up with a 5x 5m tops but probably less. He's a solid player, a little undersized, but I'm not sure why he would be much more sought after than Gardiner. I do think he would fit in nicely as either Gio or Hanifin's partner.

It does seem like Brodie will at least test free agency, too bad he's a good player, yes better than Vatanen. Brodie probably gets 6m on 5 or 6 years, which is a little rich for our cap situation anyway.

I would take Hamonic back in a 3rd pairing role on a modest deal but some dumb team will overpay.

Someone brought up DeMelo. I think he's a great target. Probably gets what Chiarot got last summer or close to. Would probably be less money and term than Vatanen.

Stone is fine as the 7D.

Either way, I think a vet is brought in to compliment Gio/Andersson/Hanifin and he's probably a RH shot. That leaves Valimaki as the 5D. They just need a decent, steady vet to play with him for a couple years. Nothing they need to blow their brains out over and Kylington doesn't really fit the bill imo.