PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: San Jose games canceled by Santa Clara County for coronavirus

GullFoss
03-09-2020, 08:22 PM

Cycling76er
03-09-2020, 08:23 PM
Wow.

Nammer403
03-09-2020, 08:27 PM
Who is this credible person?

btimbit
03-09-2020, 08:28 PM
Nobody else is reporting it but this random twitter account?

AC
03-09-2020, 08:30 PM
Nobody else is reporting it but this random twitter account?

Yeah but he tweets in ALL CAPS.

djsFlames
03-09-2020, 08:31 PM
Wat.

Not believing it till the league reports it.

btimbit
I know the county they play in was urging people to cancel and not go to large events but that was a few days ago and the sharks already had a home game since then

Weitz
Santa Clara county banned all events of over 1000 people for 3 weeks. No word from sharks yet.

Julio
https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/news/Pages/order-health-officer-03092020.aspx

Games aren't cancelled but health dep't saying no mass gatherings in the county.

Erick Estrada
03-09-2020, 08:32 PM
Can probably lock this thread seeing no major outlets have picked up on it. I can't imagine any team can just decide to shut down operations like that.

tvp2003
This guy is a former sharks journalist, says nothing official but seems like a definite possibility at this point:

scobel
It looks like they don’t play at home until the 19th unless I misread the schedule. Maybe some neutral site games. If this is even true which I question as I haven’t seen any major sport network announcing this.

Jiri Hrdina
03-09-2020, 08:33 PM
Locking until confirmed

Gaskal
03-09-2020, 09:00 PM
Sharks front office is probably not getting a whole lot of sleep tonight.

Nammer403
03-09-2020, 09:01 PM
So it'll be like watching a Florida or Yotes game?

dammage79
03-09-2020, 09:02 PM
I guess they'll still be played and televised just no fans in attendance. That's my guess.

Hoop27
03-09-2020, 09:03 PM
Saskatoon had offered to host neutral site games. I'm not smart enough to embed.

Rick Westhead
@rwesthead
·
5h
If the NHL pursues plans for neutral-site games bc of coronavirus, the SaskTelCentre in Saskatoon will accommodate, CEO Scott Ford says.
Schedule filling with WHL playoffs & lacrosse but they would make it work, Ford says.
(Saskatchewan does not have a known case of the virus.)

GullFoss
03-09-2020, 09:03 PM

btimbit
03-09-2020, 09:04 PM
Saskatoon had offered to host neutral site games.

That'd be sweet actually

Johnny Makarov
03-09-2020, 09:06 PM

Rideronavirus would be way worse!

Scroopy Noopers
03-09-2020, 09:08 PM
Saskatoon had offered to host neutral site games. I'm not smart enough to embed.

Rick Westhead
@rwesthead
·
5h
If the NHL pursues plans for neutral-site games bc of coronavirus, the SaskTelCentre in Saskatoon will accommodate, CEO Scott Ford says.
Schedule filling with WHL playoffs & lacrosse but they would make it work, Ford says.

This statement seems so disconnected it infuriates me.

“Oh you guys have an emergency? We’ll borrow your NHL team!”

Reggie Dunlop
03-09-2020, 09:12 PM

With possibly Vancouver, LA, Anaheim next to see crowd bans?

Julio
03-09-2020, 09:13 PM
Scott Ford is a bit of a putz.

transplant99
03-09-2020, 09:16 PM

Why would this infuriate you?

One business trying to capitalize on anothers misfortune,

Welcome to reality.

Strange Brew
03-09-2020, 09:18 PM
How utterly dumb of this guy but luckily no one will really pay attention to some guy from Saskatoon.

Maybe he has saved up a bunch of asswipe he can sell to Santa Clara residents too if they need it.

nfotiu
03-09-2020, 09:18 PM

Rick Westhead
@rwesthead
·
5h

Offering to bring in players, coaches, airline staff, other entourage and dedicated fans from every infected area will take care of that pretty quickly!

BigRed
03-09-2020, 09:29 PM
In all seriousness, woudln't the most likely course of action be to play in an empty arena? I'd guess revenue sharing would help cover losses

GullFoss
03-09-2020, 09:30 PM

Scroopy Noopers
03-09-2020, 09:32 PM
Why would this infuriate you?

One business trying to capitalize on anothers misfortune,

Welcome to reality.

Believing this is just “another’s misfortune” that has no effect on your business is the furthest thing from “reality”.

03-09-2020, 09:38 PM
Good thing they won’t miss any playoff games.

Cecil Terwilliger
03-09-2020, 09:55 PM
Re: Saskatoon. A neutral site is one of the NHLs limited options. It could just as easily be offering a helping hand, not capitalizing on misfortune.

81MC
03-09-2020, 09:55 PM
There is no way in hell the regular season gets played out. If it does, it'll be empty buildings until it's discovered someone somewhere related to one of the teams has Covid and the season is ended.

Very sad, but that's my predication. Along with MLB being postponed indefinitely.

united
03-09-2020, 09:56 PM
It's happening.

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli

Told the #sjsharks will abide by Santa Clara County’s order / guideline. Three options now for three home games sked during ban on mass gatherings.

1) Play w/o fans in SAP Center
2) Neutral Site
3) Postpone & Reschedule

Exact path TBD, plenty of time w team away on 9-day trip.

Scroopy Noopers
03-09-2020, 09:58 PM
Re: Saskatoon. A neutral site is one of the NHLs limited options. It could just as easily be offering a helping hand, not capitalizing on misfortune.

Yes... but there are no ‘neutral sites”. This isn’t a natural disaster in an isolated area.

getbak
03-09-2020, 10:08 PM
As stupid as playing in Saskatoon sounds on the surface, it might actually make sense.

Looking at the schedule, the Sharks two home games against Montreal and Boston lie between road games in Denver and Calgary. Saskatoon wouldn't be that out of the way for them.

For the Habs, the San Jose game is scheduled between LA and Denver with travel days in between all three games. LA-Saskatoon-Denver isn't the greatest road trip, but I'd say it's not much worse than the Regina-Raleigh-Nashville-Columbus-Washington trip the Flames did earlier this season. -- Of course, given both team's positions in the standings, they could just cancel this game entirely and not have much impact.

For the Bruins, their San Jose game is the final game of a California road trip and they have a couple of days off after that game.

Granted, I think it's more-likely they'll play those games in Stockton than Saskatoon, but the suggestion isn't as ridiculous as it initially sounds. It makes more sense than trying to play them in Montreal or Boston.

tvp2003
03-09-2020, 10:16 PM
Stockton would make sense geographically. But does having thousands of Sharks fans drive over to go sit in their arena, and then drive back to SJ really that much different than just playing the game in SJ?

flames_fan_down_under
03-09-2020, 10:19 PM
Could play in Portland at the Moda Centre.

Geeoff
03-09-2020, 10:22 PM

So is your suggestion that no one should be playing games anywhere? Would their proposal be more palatable if they offered thoughts and prayers first?

Parallex
03-09-2020, 10:22 PM
Just a thought... Quebec City. Videotron Centre has NHL capacity and they'd probably sell out the building.

ComixZone
03-09-2020, 10:25 PM
I doubt they go the “neutral location” route. With what’s happening, I imagine the NHL will say the safest approach for all involved is to play it in an empty arena.

Flames have their New York trip next week - I wonder if this San Jose situation will kick-off a chain reaction for cities with infections/large hubs.

dino7c
03-09-2020, 10:28 PM
hopefully the Flames won't be forced to play more home games

Scroopy Noopers
03-09-2020, 10:30 PM
So is your suggestion that no one should be playing games anywhere? Would their proposal be more palatable if they offered thoughts and prayers first?

No, the statement doesn’t make any sense.

Is everyone assuming the only professional sports team in North America to not host games in their home building is going to be the San Jose Sharks????

Don’t come out with this BS PR comment. Sit down tomorrow with your people and local health officials and try to figure out what you are going to do with your building, and why other places are taking the steps they are.

hwy19man
03-09-2020, 10:30 PM
Could play in Portland at the Moda Centre.That is a good possibility. The arena in Salt Lake City, home of the Utah Jazz, would be another option.

TheScorpion
03-09-2020, 10:54 PM
That is a good possibility. The arena in Salt Lake City, home of the Utah Jazz, would be another option.

I don't think the Jazz's arena makes a ton of sense, no hockey has been played there in 25 years. I think the Utah Grizzlies's arena would be a better fit, that's where all the Olympics games were played in 2002.

chummer
03-09-2020, 10:59 PM
Why are we talking about alternative locations?

If it's happening in San Jose it's going to happen in every other city.

Tsawwassen
03-10-2020, 02:06 AM
https://www.nhl.com/sharks/news/latest-news-regarding-sap-center-events/c-315896084

Toonage
03-10-2020, 08:05 AM
As a local, I cringed when I read Ford's comment. For a few reasons. Primarily, its seemed rather opportunistic and short sighted.

Resolute 14
03-10-2020, 08:59 AM
Postponements makes no sense given how late we are in the season. Would be exceptionally hard for the Sharks to make up three games.

Neutral sites are complicated by the opponents. Montreal and Boston can't be expected to play LA-(Saskatoon/Quebec)-Anaheim. If they went to another venue, it would have to be close. So a minor league city like Stockton or San Diego, or play in LA or Anaheim.

Empty arena is the easiest logistically, but obviously offers the lowest revenue.

Passe La Puck
03-10-2020, 09:13 AM
Neutral site, and especially a neutral site in the same general locale, seems like such a backhanded move as well.

Santa Clara implemented this policy because they believe it is an important measure to contain spread of this virus. For the Sharks to go play a game the next town over would just create more travel for mostly the same people who would've been at the SAP center in the first place.

Jiri Hrdina
03-10-2020, 09:21 AM
In my view there are several objectives that they will need to achieve
- Minimize travel
- Minimize larger crowds
- Somehow complete the season and playoffs

Within that, I think they need to assess if they can finish the regular season based on projections. If not - send an end point.

Playoffs should be held in a single city for each match up. No crowds. Top seed gets all the games at home.

transplant99
03-10-2020, 09:24 AM
Believing this is just “another’s misfortune” that has no effect on your business is the furthest thing from “reality”.

LOL...what?

Its simply one group taking advantage of a situation another group finds itself in... in an attempt to make money.

Or in other words...business.

Hardly a unique undertaking in such situations.

Or I am misunderstanding what is making you angry, which is entirely possible.

Fuzz
03-10-2020, 09:36 AM
What's so bad about playing in an empty arena? The Panthers do it all the time...

icecube
03-10-2020, 09:42 AM
LOL...what?

Its simply one group taking advantage of a situation another group finds itself in... in an attempt to make money.

"It was... just... business"

CEO Scott Ford's dying words as he takes his last pneumonia breath.

Scroopy Noopers
03-10-2020, 09:55 AM
LOL...what?

Man.... nothing worse than the “LOL” posters...

I feel like you’re misunderstanding the whole thing, this isn’t a situation one particular group is in. We’re all in this. It has nothing to do with making money/not. The suggestion is “it’s okay to play here cause we don’t have the virus”.... it’s idiotic. The virus isn’t based in the SAP centre.

transplant99
03-10-2020, 09:59 AM
"It was... just... business"

CEO Scott Ford's dying words as he takes his last pneumonia breath.

Sure, i guess that's possible.

Really doesn't address a single thing we are talking about however.

Back to the issue though....i do wonder how long before Orange County comes to the same conclusion/takes the same steps, which would affect all kinds of both pro and college teams.

I think the only logical way this goes is to play in empty stadiums/arenas etc. That will make no one happy though...not players or owners (HRR takes a huge hit) or fans for obvious reasons.

Flamenspiel
03-10-2020, 10:03 AM
^^At this time Santa Clara is in a “hot zone” for the decease, so its more common at this time and not all places are equally impacted. Still “travel” anywhere does not make sense right now. At some point the events will simply have to be postponed.

I think it’s ridiculas for the IOC to just act like it’s business as usual.

transplant99
03-10-2020, 10:06 AM
Man.... nothing worse than the “LOL” posters...

I feel like you’re misunderstanding the whole thing, this isn’t a situation one particular group is in. We’re all in this. It has nothing to do with making money/not. The suggestion is “it’s okay to play here cause we don’t have the virus”.... it’s idiotic. The virus isn’t based in the SAP centre.

I understand all that....but in relation to this scenario this was merely one group trying to take advantage of another group in an effort to make money...thats just what they call business.

Saskatoon does not have a legal order to close down gatherings of over 1000 people. San Jose does. One group sees that as an opportunity to make some money in a situation the other one is prohibited from doing so.

Just the way it is...again, reality.

Now if im to infer from what you said, that all games should be played to empty arenas, then that is another discussion all together and something that very well may happen.

However as we sit here today, what Saskatoon is offering is nothing more than a chance to take advantage of the situation presented to them. Business.

PeteMoss
03-10-2020, 10:11 AM
In my view there are several objectives that they will need to achieve
- Minimize travel
- Minimize larger crowds
- Somehow complete the season and playoffs

Within that, I think they need to assess if they can finish the regular season based on projections. If not - send an end point.

Playoffs should be held in a single city for each match up. No crowds. Top seed gets all the games at home.

Or just trust the health officials and do what they say.

Scroopy Noopers
03-10-2020, 10:11 AM
Swing and a miss again. I can’t keep explaining the same thing.

- The purpose of cancelling events is to reduce spread.
- this is happening world wide
- it’s been a struggle to beat home that message, and will continue to be.
- first to blink in NA was Santa Clara.
- in response, Regina guy promotes travel to Regina for mass gatherings of people.
- it’s again a frustrating display of a complete lack of understanding on what is happening globally.

Resolute 14
03-10-2020, 10:16 AM
What, exactly, are you expecting here Scroopy? That thousands of Sharks fans in Santa Clara County are going to fly to Saskatoon to watch a game there?

There is currently no cases in Saskatchewan, so at this point, your first, second and third points are irrelevant. The fourth is emotional, and on the fifth, the only travel being promoted is that of the NHL teams, who are already pretty well isolated from the general public.

Suggesting that an NHL game be played in Saskatoon right now is no more or less a bad idea than playing an NHL game in Calgary or Winnipeg is. And I don't see you whining about how the Flames haven't closed the doors for Thursday.

Scroopy Noopers
03-10-2020, 10:21 AM
No, the statement doesn’t make any sense.

Is everyone assuming the only professional sports team in North America to not host games in their home building is going to be the San Jose Sharks????

Don’t come out with this BS PR comment. Sit down tomorrow with your people and local health officials and try to figure out what you are going to do with your building, and why other places are taking the steps they are.

What, exactly, are you expecting here Scroopy? That thousands of Sharks fans in Santa Clara County are going to fly to Saskatoon to watch a game there?

There is currently no cases in Saskatchewan, so at this point, your first, second and third points are irrelevant. The fourth is emotional, and on the fifth, the only travel being promoted is that of the NHL teams, who are already pretty well isolated from the general public.

Suggesting that an NHL game be played in Saskatoon right now is no more or less a bad idea than playing an NHL game in Calgary or Winnipeg is. And I don't see you whining about how the Flames haven't closed the doors for Thursday.

Geez I haven’t even made that many points. What I am expecting I already posted on this page.

My singular point: this guy has no idea why the SAP is closed. My reasoning ends there. I don’t know if it’s the right move to close, but people who make those decisions decided it was. And no, I don’t care if people profit from other businesses.

CalgaryFan1988
03-10-2020, 10:21 AM
Resolute, some NHL cities are deciding when to cancel NHL games and Saskatchewan trying to bring some in, it isn't exactly pro-active thinking.

transplant99
03-10-2020, 10:23 AM
Swing and a miss again. I can’t keep explaining the same thing.

- The purpose of cancelling events is to reduce spread.
- this is happening world wide
- it’s been a struggle to beat home that message, and will continue to be.
- first to blink in NA was Santa Clara.
- in response, Regina guy promotes travel to Regina for mass gatherings of people.
- it’s again a frustrating display of a complete lack of understanding on what is happening globally.

Not happening in Saskatoon though. That's his point. At this time SK doesn't even have a single positive test.

I get that you don't think its the proper response, but it is most certainly a perfectly legal and business driven one. At least for now. Im not even advocating it should happen but merely that it is perfectly within the confines of what is occurring right now.

Again, if you think every game should be closed to patrons, I get it and dont even necessarily disagree with it. That is entirely on the leagues leadership though. Its not up to a guy (rightly or wrongly) running an arena in Saskatoon to enforce by not trying to bring in business. Its literally, his job to do so.

Scroopy Noopers
03-10-2020, 10:25 AM
Not happening in Saskatoon though. That's his point. At this time SK doesn't even have a single positive test.

I get that you don't think its the proper response, but it is most certainly a perfectly legal and business driven one.

Never said otherwise.

Resolute 14
03-10-2020, 10:25 AM
Scroopy - of course that guy knows why SAP is being closed. He also knows why the arena in Saskatoon has not been closed - namely, the disease hasn't got there yet.

CalgaryFan1988 - There is a difference between being prudent in a hot zone and being paranoid in a clear zone. Until the NHL itself decides to suspend play, the games are going to be played somewhere. That said, the games won't be in Saskatoon because it makes no logistical sense.

_Q_
03-10-2020, 10:27 AM
No way they play any games in Saskatoon, or even Stockton. It'll either be the Chase Center in San Francisco, or Oakland Arena (former home of the Golden State Warriors, currently sitting without a tenant). There's an outside chance it'll be at the Golden 1 Center, current home of the Sacramento Kings.

nik-
03-10-2020, 10:30 AM

Not even a virus wants to go to Saskatchewan.

Textcritic
03-10-2020, 10:30 AM

It seems obvious that this is precisely the direction we are heading, which is why the "neutral site" suggestion is such a myopic one. With how quickly this is spreading it just seems really foolish to continue tempting fate in flagrant disregard of what we know.

The most responsible thing to do is to play to empty stadiums in an effort to reduce infection. But I expect that will continue to be a very difficult sell with so much money at stake.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

icecube
03-10-2020, 10:33 AM
Saskatoon is hosting the Juno's this weekend. Fingers crossed Covid stays away as long as possible.

FlamesAddiction
03-10-2020, 11:08 AM
I don't think the idea of having neutral site games in smaller centers is a bad idea.

The Saskatoon guy could have made his offer privately and not through twitter though. It did seem kind of crass.

Strange Brew
03-10-2020, 12:10 PM
Scroopy - of course that guy knows why SAP is being closed. He also knows why the arena in Saskatoon has not been closed - namely, the disease hasn't got there yet.

CalgaryFan1988 - There is a difference between being prudent in a hot zone and being paranoid in a clear zone. Until the NHL itself decides to suspend play, the games are going to be played somewhere. That said, the games won't be in Saskatoon because it makes no logistical sense.

As you say, "yet".

rohara66
03-10-2020, 12:19 PM
As you say, "yet".

Exactly.

And as soon as you start bringing in hundreds (or maybe thousands) of people from an area where community spread is happening (San Jose).... guess what will happen in the area that is currently not infected.

This isnt rocket surgery people.

Resolute 14
03-10-2020, 01:14 PM
Except that that is not what would happen in this hypothetical. Both teams combined would have less than 100 people going - none of whom are even in the area where community spread is happening. None of the impacted teams are even in San Jose or Santa Clara right now. They are also well isolated and under constant observation from team medical professionals.

Itse
03-10-2020, 01:16 PM
Exactly.

And as soon as you start bringing in hundreds (or maybe thousands) of people from an area where community spread is happening (San Jose).... guess what will happen in the area that is currently not infected.

This isnt rocket surgery people.

Well it's a little bit rocket surgery ;)

First of all, it's unlikely THAT many people would actually travel from San Jose for regular season hockey, especially considering the corona-thing.

Second, the amount of people traveling needs to make a statistically significant difference in the amount of people traveling to the area from areas of potential community spread. Otherwise it's a non-issue.