View Full Version : Former Sens CEO claims he was fired for swearing at Melnyk

sureLoss
03-04-2020, 02:04 PM

MRCboicgy
03-04-2020, 02:05 PM
The drama there...

dissentowner
03-04-2020, 02:10 PM
Edmonton Oilers: We are the biggest gong show in pro sports!
Ottawa Senators: Hold my beer

Oil Stain
03-04-2020, 02:11 PM
Here was what the Senators released:

Chris Johnston
@reporterchris
The Ottawa Senators are down another senior executive: Jim Little has been dismissed as CEO because of "conduct inconsistent with the core values of the Ottawa Senators and the National Hockey League."

Little was hired on Jan. 10.

They sure made it sound a lot more ominous than bad language.

A Poster on HFboards had this beauty response:

"conduct inconsistent with the core values of the Ottawa Senators"

what'd he do, try to spend money and win hockey games?

TheScorpion
03-04-2020, 02:27 PM
Well that's kind of funny but also pretty strange.

CaptainYooh
03-04-2020, 02:28 PM
I don't know much about the drama there, but if I wouldn't tell the company owner to go f... himself for obvious reasons. Why should it be different in an NHL organization, regardless of how much you disagree?

Flames Draft Watcher
03-04-2020, 02:30 PM
I don't know much about the drama there, but if I wouldn't tell the company owner to go f... himself for obvious reasons. Why should it be different in an NHL organization, regardless of how much you disagree?

Who says that's how he phrased it?

Jordan!
03-04-2020, 02:31 PM
If you tell your business owner to get fatad you deserve a pink slip.. period

Harry Lime
03-04-2020, 02:32 PM
I have developed a tendency to find other ways of expressing myself other than swearing.
I have been successful in former managerial positions.

Resume is on it's way, Mr. Melnyk.

theslymonkey
03-04-2020, 02:32 PM
In what world is it ok to swear at your boss? I get that Melnyk is a buffoon, but seriously, who does that?

rvd123
03-04-2020, 02:35 PM
Sounds like Melnyk is butthurt.

CaptainYooh
03-04-2020, 02:36 PM
In what world is it ok to swear at your boss? I get that Melnyk is a buffoon, but seriously, who does that?
Not just the boss - the company owner, who actually pays your salary.

Moneyhands23
03-04-2020, 02:43 PM
Ya, if I swear at one of the ppl that I contract for I would expect to be let go/not receive another contract.

Weitz
03-04-2020, 02:46 PM
Fully depends on working relationship, company, industry, etc.

Some places no one bats an eye, others yah maybe they care.

Here, I assume Melnyk wanted to get rid of him anyway and used this as his reasoning.

Coach
03-04-2020, 02:49 PM
Yeah agreed. If you swear at a superior in pretty much any industry, you're done.

Coach
03-04-2020, 02:53 PM
Fully depends on working relationship, company, industry, etc.

Some places no one bats an eye, others yah maybe they care.

Here, I assume Melnyk wanted to get rid of him anyway and used this as his reasoning.

Throwing a casual swear into conversation is different than swearing at someone in anger. And even in work places where that might be more common, it's generally not good practice to swear upward.

I-Hate-Hulse
03-04-2020, 02:55 PM
"very strong language including swearing..."

Considering this is the legally sanctioned version of his events, this was clearly not a simple one line "FU."...

One can only imagine the things that could be said to Melnyk in the heat of the moment....

RatherDashing
03-04-2020, 03:05 PM

I think he was trying to clarify that he wasn’t fired for something worse, like yelling racial slurs at a player.

CaptainYooh
03-04-2020, 03:09 PM
Sure, but that's a different angle to discussing his message. Some people seem to be surprised that an employee could be fired for swearing at a business owner.

GioforPM
03-04-2020, 03:50 PM
I think he was trying to clarify that he wasn’t fired for something worse, like yelling racial slurs at a player.

Yeah, this. I think he accepts he crossed the line and got fired, but fire for “conduct unbecoming” connotes something different, especially this year.

Flash Walken
03-04-2020, 04:04 PM
sometimes business owners deserve to be sworn at.

if you've hired me to do a job and won't let me do, #### you buddy. especially if your entire organization is already a disaster based on how you've run things.

GioforPM
03-04-2020, 04:20 PM

if you've hired me to do a job and won't let me do, #### you buddy. especially if your entire organization is already a disaster based on how you've run things.

And then you’re fired.

Mightyfire89
03-04-2020, 04:36 PM

And then you’re fired.

I resigned my position at two different companies for exactly that Flash...Both of those companies went bankrupt and no longer exist. Not a coincidence IMO.

Melnyk is a control freak and an out of touch, meddling, rich lunatic. No surprise at all that people with a spine encounter problems working for him.

Puppet Guy
03-04-2020, 05:47 PM

This sounds SO much like my current situation it's scary.

sureLoss
03-07-2020, 03:22 PM
Sens claim they fired him because of abusive behaviour allegations:
https://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators-say-ceos-firing-tied-to-ex-wifes-allegations

While Little contends he was essentially fired for angrily swearing at Melynk — which generated frustrated amusement among many Senators fans who often blame Melnyk for the team’s rocky performance — the Senators said it was not such a shallow decision.

After the argument and during an investigation into Little’s behaviour, the team discovered that Little’s former spouse published online accounts alleging abusive behaviour during her marriage, the National Post has learned

A team spokesman said there was a direct link between the Valentine’s Day argument with Melnyk, an investigation into Little it sparked, Smith’s allegations and his dismissal.

“The Ottawa Senators can confirm knowledge of the blog post, which was discovered following Mr. Little’s Feb. 14 outburst and as a result of an ensuing investigation into his behaviour, leading up to his dismissal. It was one of the issues that gave the organization grave concern,” said Dan Gagnier, spokesman for the Ottawa Senators in a statement to the National Post when asked about Smith’s articles.

“The pattern of behaviour by Mr. Little within the organization, which violated the team’s code of conduct and the policies of the NHL, coupled with the detailed allegations contained within an online posting discovered subsequently, was extremely concerning given his conduct within the company’s head office,” Gagnier said.

Little, through legal counsel, denied that.

Erick Estrada
03-07-2020, 04:35 PM
So after an argument with the boss he gets people to investigate Smith and dug up some dirt on him? Why not do that before you actually hire the guy? Not excusing what Smith may have done but man, Melynik is a down and dirty, greasy guy.

sureLoss
03-07-2020, 05:12 PM
Yup it sure seems like Melnyk decided to fire him after the argument and then started an investigation so that it would make the Sens legal and public relation position on the firing stronger.

powderjunkie
03-07-2020, 09:45 PM
LOL, this looks even worse on the Sens. I see four broad paths they could have taken:

1. Deny the termination was related to swearing, but not comment further on a personnel matter
2. Say nothing
3. Confirm the swearing was a big part of it
4. Chase some sort of #timesup glory?

Of course they chose the option that makes everyone look bad. Not sure why anyone would want to work for this clown show...I suppose that's why they end up hiring guys like this (whatever the truth is, at the very least Little certainly seems to lack judgment)

GioforPM
03-08-2020, 05:33 AM
So after an argument with the boss he gets people to investigate Smith and dug up some dirt on him? Why not do that before you actually hire the guy? Not excusing what Smith may have done but man, Melynik is a down and dirty, greasy guy.

Yup it sure seems like Melnyk decided to fire him after the argument and then started an investigation so that it would make the Sens legal and public relation position on the firing stronger.

Maybe. Or perhaps this “argument” was so over the top they decided to investigate to see what else the guy had done, to be prepared for the worst. If someone I employ loses it in front of me I have to wonder if they’ve got some other issues I haven’t heard of.

Huntingwhale
03-08-2020, 08:35 AM
If I told the owner at my company to fug off then I'd be fired too. So this really is a none story. Instead we would be better suited to find out why he had to say that and the events leading up to it.

I have zero doubt this somehow all Melnyk's fault. Still you can't say that to the guy paying you.

sureLoss
03-08-2020, 10:02 AM
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/headlines-nhl-discussing-contingency-plans-coronavirus-spread/

so according to Friedman:
after Little was hired he was getting a lot of praise from fans and media in Ottawa for being blunt on the Sens business troubles
Melnyk did not like what was being said and made his displeasure known and wanted to change the public narrative
this lead to a nasty phone call on Valentine's day that was overheard by many Sens employees
Little yelled at Melnyk for about 10 minutes and one of the things said was "one of the best things that could happen for the Senators is if you disappeared for 12 months"
Sens had a board meeting on Chris Philips jersey retirement night where they served Little papers opening an investigation on the basis of them believing he violated their code of conduct and insubordination

Roof-Daddy
03-08-2020, 10:08 AM
one of the things said was "one of the best things that could happen for the Senators is if you disappeared for 12 months"

Truth hurts I guess.

Erick Estrada
03-08-2020, 11:10 AM
Maybe. Or perhaps this “argument” was so over the top they decided to investigate to see what else the guy had done, to be prepared for the worst. If someone I employ loses it in front of me I have to wonder if they’ve got some other issues I haven’t heard of.

I have no problem with an owner firing an employee that says the business would be better off without him for 12 months. However the smear campaign is a little over the top. To me it comes off as a powerful man using his resources to try and destroy another man.

Locke
03-08-2020, 11:43 AM
Truth hurts I guess.

Thats not true. 12 months is hardly long enough for Melnyk to disappear.

Flamesguy_SJ
03-08-2020, 11:49 AM
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/headlines-nhl-discussing-contingency-plans-coronavirus-spread/

so according to Friedman:
after Little was hired he was getting a lot of praise from fans and media in Ottawa for being blunt on the Sens business troubles
Melnyk did not like what was being said and made his displeasure known and wanted to change the public narrative
this lead to a nasty phone call on Valentine's day that was overheard by many Sens employees
Little yelled at Melnyk for about 10 minutes and one of the things said was "one of the best things that could happen for the Senators is if you disappeared for 12 months"
Sens had a board meeting on Chris Philips jersey retirement night where they served Little papers opening an investigation on the basis of them believing he violated their code of conduct and insubordination

Interesting, since Friedman himself has said that's exactly what Ottawa needs.

Coach
03-08-2020, 01:11 PM
I still don't really understand Little's initial complaint though. If you tell your boss to shove it and that his business would be better off without him, you're begging to get fired.

Investigating and releasing his marital issues is grade A skeeze though.

Flash Walken
03-08-2020, 01:27 PM
I still don't really understand Little's initial complaint though. If you tell your boss to shove it and that his business would be better off without him, you're begging to get fired.

Jim Little came out of retirement for this job which tells you all you need to know about how people actually building careers view an 'opportunity' with the sens that has been vacant for a year and had a 3 executive turnover in 5 years.

I've had an owner tell me once 'i built this company and I will burn it to the ground if I want' if it meant not doing things his way, which was literally the only reason the company was going out of business. Employees be damned.

Sometimes the ONLY thing wrong with an organization is ownership.

Oil Stain
03-08-2020, 01:32 PM

Investigating and releasing his marital issues is grade A skeeze though.

Because the wording of the press release by the Ottawa Senators made it sound like Little was fired for something more ominous. (Ie. Me too, All the racist stuff surrounding hockey atm)

Coach
03-08-2020, 01:42 PM
Jim Little came out of retirement for this job which tells you all you need to know about how people actually building careers view an 'opportunity' with the sens that has been vacant for a year and had a 3 executive turnover in 5 years.

I've had an owner tell me once 'i built this company and I will burn it to the ground if I want' if it meant not doing things his way, which was literally the only reason the company was going out of business. Employees be damned.

Sometimes the ONLY thing wrong with an organization is ownership.

Yeah I agree. It's not a matter of if he's right about Melnyk. If your owner tells you it's his way or the highway and you flip him the bird, you're choosing the highway. I'm not saying it's the right way to run a business. But he owns the business.

Because the wording of the press release by the Ottawa Senators made it sound like Little was fired for something more ominous. (Ie. Me too, All the racist stuff surrounding hockey atm)

I don't remember getting that feeling from the initial release, I'll have to re-read it.

Flash Walken
03-08-2020, 02:00 PM
Yeah I agree. It's not a matter of if he's right about Melnyk. If your owner tells you it's his way or the highway and you flip him the bird, you're choosing the highway. I'm not saying it's the right way to run a business. But he owns the business.

Sure, but people with options don't have to put up with that.

The best executive you can have is someone willing to put their job on the line to tell you that you're wrong.

Jim Little wasn't hired because everything with the Senators is great and nothing needs to change.

Jim Little was hired because the freakin' NHL had to intervene on the senators behalf to try to find them a competent executive after their increasingly volatile and unhinged owner continues to struggle to keep the team from being picked over by creditors.

Understand here that Melnyk is such a disaster as an owner that the league is intervening with the franchise to insulate the other owners from significant problems.

I don't know Jim Little, but i can tell you based on the external optics of the situation he would've been justified in telling Melnyk a lot more than what he reportedly said. Just read melnyk's wikipedia entry and decide for yourself if maybe this guy needs to be told to '#### off' every once in awhile.

Coach
03-08-2020, 02:44 PM
Sure, but people with options don't have to put up with that.

The best executive you can have is someone willing to put their job on the line to tell you that you're wrong.

Jim Little wasn't hired because everything with the Senators is great and nothing needs to change.

Jim Little was hired because the freakin' NHL had to intervene on the senators behalf to try to find them a competent executive after their increasingly volatile and unhinged owner continues to struggle to keep the team from being picked over by creditors.

Understand here that Melnyk is such a disaster as an owner that the league is intervening with the franchise to insulate the other owners from significant problems.

I don't know Jim Little, but i can tell you based on the external optics of the situation he would've been justified in telling Melnyk a lot more than what he reportedly said. Just read melnyk's wikipedia entry and decide for yourself if maybe this guy needs to be told to '#### off' every once in awhile.

You're missing my point. I know Melnyk runs a s***show, everyone does. This situation is just another example of it. I just don't think someone should be surprised they get fired for telling the owner of the company to shove it.

Flash Walken
03-08-2020, 02:56 PM
You're missing my point. I know Melnyk runs a s***show, everyone does. This situation is just another example of it. I just don't think someone should be surprised they get fired for telling the owner of the company to shove it.

Ah, ok.

IMO when something like that happens it's because the person saying/doing it knows it might get them fired and they are prepared for that end result.

Erick Estrada
03-08-2020, 03:55 PM
I don't remember getting that feeling from the initial release, I'll have to re-read it.

Gary Bettman even came out after Ottawa's news release and said "It's not what you think." because the release sounded very ominous. I imagine the NHL would love nothing more than for Melnyk to sell the team.

dustygoon
03-08-2020, 04:41 PM
I know our owner(s) have had their moments, but we are lucky to not have to deal with someone like Melnyk. How can you be a fan anymore of a team with a dysfunctional owner like that?

Locke
03-08-2020, 06:29 PM
I know our owner(s) have had their moments, but we are lucky to not have to deal with someone like Melnyk. How can you be a fan anymore of a team with a dysfunctional owner like that?

Remember the Edmonton Owner's Group? Now that was a consistent calamity of cringe.

CorsiHockeyLeague
03-09-2020, 07:27 AM
Eugene Melnyk vs. James Dolan... leaving aside the obvious disparity in the importance of the franchises they own, who is worse?

Erick Estrada
03-09-2020, 07:35 AM
Eugene Melnyk vs. James Dolan... leaving aside the obvious disparity in the importance of the franchises they own, who is worse?

I would have to say Dolan if only because he should have all the resources possible to build a winner in NY but Melnyk is more of a PR disaster as seemingly makes any situation worse by opening his mouth.

sureLoss
03-09-2020, 01:46 PM
Looks like Melnyk is purging anything related to Little.

Brent Wallace @tsn_wally
Sources tell TSN that #Sens VP of Communications and Community Relations, PJ Loyello, is on leave. The Senators have yet to confirm anything since TSN initially inquired on Friday. (1/2)

Brent Wallace @tsn_wally
While it is unclear if it is personal or work related, TSN has been told the organization took Loyello’s laptop and mobile phone last Wednesday, the same day that Jim Little was fired. Loyello was hired by Little on Jan.27 #Sens (2/2)

Erick Estrada
03-09-2020, 01:53 PM
Can the NHL force Melnyk to sell the team? I can't imagine what it's like being a Senators fan having this guy as an owner. Has to be even worse than when Feterik owned the Stamps.

Joborule
03-09-2020, 05:29 PM
Can the NHL force Melnyk to sell the team? I can't imagine what it's like being a Senators fan having this guy as an owner. Has to be even worse than when Feterik owned the Stamps.

If he's not breaking some ethical/code of conduct clause, then I don't think they can force him to sell or remove him. The best they could do is try tactics to heavily encourage him to sell the team.

Split98
03-09-2020, 05:54 PM
NHL can do some 'digging' of their own, and cite dangerous driving conditions around CT Center year-round, blog-post allegations against multiple employees of the building, strong on-going Coronavirus concerns in the arena, or ice-temperatures inconsistent with NHL guidelines for all arenas along 45-46" N

For security concerns, no NHL games will be played in Kanata for the foreseeable future.

Reggie Dunlop
03-09-2020, 06:07 PM

The NHL has put up with the Harold Ballards and Bill Wirtzes throughout their history.

Misguided, egotistical owners are not a bug, they're a feature.

GioforPM
03-09-2020, 06:29 PM
If he's not breaking some ethical/code of conduct clause, then I don't think they can force him to sell or remove him. The best they could do is try tactics to heavily encourage him to sell the team.

They made that NBA guy sell his stake a couple years ago (huge caveat: over racist stuff and I don’t know what their licence agreement says).

Joborule
03-09-2020, 06:46 PM
They made that NBA guy sell his stake a couple years ago (huge caveat: over racist stuff and I don’t know what their licence agreement says).

Hence, code of conduct/ethics. Donald Sterling was banned from the NBA for life since his racist remarks were damaging to the brand of the league. Even then, he attempt to file a (unsuccessful) lawsuit against the league in the selling of the team.

Erick Estrada
03-09-2020, 07:02 PM
Apparently I'm not the only person wondering how the NHL can get rid of this guy. They were actually talking about this on 960 this afternoon. If he starts defaulting on payments the NHL would then be able to step in.

GioforPM
03-12-2020, 02:55 AM
Apparently I'm not the only person wondering how the NHL can get rid of this guy. They were actually talking about this on 960 this afternoon. If he starts defaulting on payments the NHL would then be able to step in.

I suppose he may owe the league money out of the bankruptcy.