PDA

View Full Version : I like Andrew Mangiapane

Textcritic
03-02-2020, 04:48 PM
It feels like Mangiapane more than deserves his own "I like" tribute. (Although I see that virtually all the others have fallen off of the first several pages.)

On Sunday's game, Cassie Campbell commented about how good Mangiapane and his line have been playing in recent games, and she openly made a comparison between how he plays the game with Bad Marchand—not the cheap-shotting, trash-talking, face-licking, finger-biting Marchand; rather, the top-line scoring winger.

So, how great would that be?

Marchand has been such a good player for such a long time that I think it is easy to forget where he came from. He was Boston's third-round pick in 2006 @ #71 overall. Marchand is 5'9" and 181 lbs, and when you watch how he skates and competes, the comparison that Campbell drew from him to Mangiapane becomes fairly obvious: both are stocky, strong, tenacious players who never quit moving.

Brad Marchand began his professional career in 2008–09, and played a full season in Providence. He posted 18 G and 51 Pts in 79 games as a 20-year-old rookie.

Marchand began his NHL career the following year, splitting his time between Boston and Providence, but scoring only a single assist in his first 20 NHL games. He scored 32 Pts in 34 games in the AHL that year—the last of his minor-league career.

Marchand became a NHL regular in 2010, and in his first full season at the age of 22-years-old he scored 21 G and 44 Pts in 77 games. For the next four years Marchand was a solid but unspectacular second-line player, averaging 23 G and 45 Pts before breaking out in his 27-year-old season as a top-line player. Since then, he has become a fixture for +85 points on one of the best lines in hockey.

So, how about Andrew Mangiapane?

Well, the Flames didn't nab him until the sixth round in 2015, 166th overall. Mangiapane is 5'10", 184 lbs, and—like Marchand—when he broke into the NHL, he plays a tenacious, hard-forechecking puck-pursuit game, and he never stops skating.

Mangiapane began his professional career when he was 20-years-old in 2016, and scored 20 G and 41 Pts in 66 AHL games. In 2017–18 he played his second season in the AHL, and scored an impressive 21 G, 46 Pts in 39 games. He started his NHL career in 2018, but failed to make any discernible impression in his first ten games with the Flames, but he then followed that up by scorching the he AHL at the start of 2018 with 9 G and 17 Pts in 15 games. It was good enough to earn him a callup in his 22-year old season, and he managed to score 8 G and 13 Pts down the stretch last year in Calgary.

This year, Mangiapane is 23-years-old and is scoring at nearly 0.5 pts/GP: 17 G and 29 Pts in 65 games. However, since the ASG he has scored 9 G, 14 Pts in 17 GP. He is fearless and tough, he moves well, he sees the ice really well, and he has a nose for the net. He sure looks like he could one day become a player in the same mould as Marchand, but without the ######-baggery for which he is most famous.

Will it happen? Who knows.
Could it happen? I see no reason why not.

I like Andrew Mangiapane.

midniteowl
03-02-2020, 04:55 PM
I love Mangiapane, I love his work ethic.

TheScorpion
03-02-2020, 04:56 PM
Best 88 in NHL history tbh

the2bears
03-02-2020, 04:59 PM
Mangiapane moving to the next level this season has been one of the few bright spots. Already found money, if he continues to progress it's like winning the lottery.

Rando
03-02-2020, 05:03 PM

Jarome Iginla > Andrew Mangiapane

Flash Walken
03-02-2020, 05:04 PM
Click the link in my signature!

getoverit
03-02-2020, 05:05 PM
Yep been a real nice surprise this year 😊. Dube could learn a thing or two. I just don’t get the luv for him

Buzzard
03-02-2020, 05:11 PM
5'10", 184 lbs eh? I think those are pretty generous to the upside stats. He looks not much bigger to me than JG on the ice, though plays much bigger for sure.

ForeverFlameFan
03-02-2020, 05:13 PM
If I could employ 12 Mangiapane's at forward I would. Dude's got heart.

midniteowl
03-02-2020, 05:16 PM

Jarome Iginla > Andrew Mangiapane

I'm sorry, when did Jarome Iginla wears #88?

djsFlames
03-02-2020, 05:20 PM
Yep been a real nice surprise this year ��. Dube could learn a thing or two. I just don’t get the luv for him

Dube has less seasoning. Not as far along the developmental curve. Next year for Dube will be a fairer comparison to this year for Bread.

But yes, he absolutely could take after Andrew's tenacity at this level.

hjerk
03-02-2020, 05:23 PM
I'm sorry, when did Jarome Iginla wears #88?

Pretty sure he wore 88 in LA...and those were not his best years...

midniteowl
03-02-2020, 05:25 PM
Pretty sure he wore 88 in LA...and those were not his best years...

Thank you, I honestly didn't know he wore 88 in LA. As soon as he signed with LA, I forgot about him.

GioforPM
03-02-2020, 05:35 PM
Kane and Lindros - bums ammirite?

Red_Baron
03-02-2020, 05:40 PM
Thank you, I honestly didn't know he wore 88 in LA. As soon as he signed with LA, I forgot about him.
He was traded there...
:mad:

midniteowl
03-02-2020, 05:44 PM
He was traded there...
:mad:

Oh...my memory is really bad....:( Who traded him to LA, the Pens?

Nsd1
03-02-2020, 05:44 PM
Mangiapane has been great since he stopped falling over every shift.

Dion
03-02-2020, 05:45 PM
I see a bright future for Mangipane. His work ethics and drive impress me, plus his willingness to got the dirty areas. I can see him bulking up and becoming a power forward someday.

djsFlames
03-02-2020, 05:46 PM
Oh...my memory is really bad....:( Who traded him to LA, the Pens?

Colorado.

Canada 02
03-02-2020, 05:58 PM
I'd be fine if Bread became Marchand, including the rat antics

jayswin
03-02-2020, 06:03 PM
Yep been a real nice surprise this year ��. Dube could learn a thing or two. I just don’t get the luv for him

a) lack of forward in prospects n recent years
b) world juniors

He's okay, but nothing spectacular. World junior performers always get a huge bump prospect in ratings NHL wide. It's not commonly justified.

03-02-2020, 06:10 PM
Yep been a real nice surprise this year 😊. Dube could learn a thing or two. I just don’t get the luv for him

Dube is younger than Mangiapane. At 21, Mangiapane wasn't even an NHL regular let alone being the line driver on a line with two veterans.

I'm glad the Flames have both guys. I like how both are tenacious and fearless. You can play if you are small, as long as you have a big heart.

I doubt Mangiapane comes close to peak Marchand. If he can score near 30 goals every year, i'd be pretty happy about that.

FlamingHomer
03-02-2020, 06:50 PM
After trying to replace the chemistry Frolik had on that line with several other players, I think he has surpassed all aspects of Frolik's former existence. It shouldn't have been that difficult but for some reason, it was.

jayswin
03-02-2020, 07:09 PM
Well basically Trelving tried to trade Frolik this summer, couldn't get a deal without retaining salary (or he didn't like the 5/6th round pick deals) and we walked one of our best players in team history to free agency because of it, then the right deal came along later due to injuries.

I like what Tre got for Frolik in the end, but god damn if you gave me

a) Frolik for nothing/little bit of salary retained for 6-8 years of Tkachuk, vs:
b) Tkachuk for a bridge deal that will either cost us $11 million AAV or Tkachuck testing the market after 4 years (much more likely)

Just give me the crappier return with the star player locked up. Especially considering how little we ended up doing with the cap space the Frolik trade opened up.

FiveSeven
03-02-2020, 07:31 PM
Ever since I seen him take his first shot the NHL I had some strange feeling he would become good. Just the way he shoots and his tenacity.
He can change the angle of his shot so fast and so drastically, it's crazy.

Textcritic
03-02-2020, 07:59 PM
I'd be fine if Bread became Marchand, including the rat anticsBread Marchand.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Flash Walken
03-02-2020, 09:54 PM
Well basically Trelving tried to trade Frolik this summer, couldn't get a deal without retaining salary (or he didn't like the 5/6th round pick deals) and we walked one of our best players in team history to free agency because of it, then the right deal came along later due to injuries.

I like what Tre got for Frolik in the end, but god damn if you gave me

a) Frolik for nothing/little bit of salary retained for 6-8 years of Tkachuk, vs:
b) Tkachuk for a bridge deal that will either cost us $11 million AAV or Tkachuck testing the market after 4 years (much more likely)

Just give me the crappier return with the star player locked up. Especially considering how little we ended up doing with the cap space the Frolik trade opened up.
Also, Mangiapane.

Acrimonious holdout situation to get a 1 year deal at minimum salary, vs trying to get him on a 2 or 3 year deal for several hundred thousand more...and then playing Mangiapane in productive situations.

The difference between signing Mangiapane last year to a 2 or 3 year deal at 1 million vs. a 1 year at 700k is going to end up costing ownership a million+ in cash and is going to cost the team probably 1.5-2 million in AAV, disrupting the ability to fill out the roster.

All to keep a disgruntled player around for 5 goals in 3-4 months of work.

That is...bad.

DeluxeMoustache
03-02-2020, 10:55 PM
Kane and Lindros - bums ammirite?

Beyond guys like Lindros, and Iggy’s brief use of 88, you have in the league today Kane, Brent Burns, and David Pastrnak

TheScorpion
03-02-2020, 11:42 PM
It was a joke. But 88 is such a sick number and I'm glad the Flames are using it on such an awesome player. Sounds stupid but Janks wearing 77 is part of why I still have hype for him LOL

SeanCharles
03-03-2020, 12:09 AM

I think both will be good.

Dube is still pretty young and has show some flashes of promise.

Caged Great
03-03-2020, 12:19 AM
I'd be fine if Bread became Marchand, including the rat antics

Would that make him the pizza rat?

Itse
03-03-2020, 01:14 AM
Marchand is a lofty comparison, but then again I've been expecting Mangiapane to plateau for a while now and he just keeps exceeding my expectations. Clearly I know nothing.

In any case I like Mangiapane too.

mrchristy31
03-03-2020, 07:14 AM
Also, Mangiapane.

Acrimonious holdout situation to get a 1 year deal at minimum salary, vs trying to get him on a 2 or 3 year deal for several hundred thousand more...and then playing Mangiapane in productive situations.

The difference between signing Mangiapane last year to a 2 or 3 year deal at 1 million vs. a 1 year at 700k is going to end up costing ownership a million+ in cash and is going to cost the team probably 1.5-2 million in AAV, disrupting the ability to fill out the roster.

That is...bad.

Is it though, I think it may end up saving the Flames significantly in the long run. The Flames can probably sign Mangiapane to either a bridge for 2-2.5 or long term around 4. If they were to wait until next year (which I'm sure he is going to progress), that number most likely goes up drastically.

GioforPM
03-03-2020, 07:23 AM
a) lack of forward in prospects n recent years
b) world juniors

He's okay, but nothing spectacular. World junior performers always get a huge bump prospect in ratings NHL wide. It's not commonly justified.

Dube might just be the third best defensive forward on the team (behind Backlund and Lindholm and right there with Reider). When he finds the net (and I’m betting he will) he’s top six material easily.

He wasn’t just a world junior team member. He was on it twice and was team captain once. He was PPG every year except his rookie year in the dub, and way over in his last year. PPG in the AHL.

Freddy
03-03-2020, 07:45 AM
I got called out for suggesting last year he projected to be a solid 2nd line winger, but I don’t think there’s any doubt now he’s going to carve out a solid NHL career. Mangiapane uses his line mates well, drives play, has elite finish, goes to all the dirty areas despite his size, and battles through broken noses and facial lacerations without a peep. I think Mangiapane is a perfect role model for Dube and if Johnny would absorb even a little bit of his resilience and tenacity he’d be much more effective in a playoff grind. As much as I love cheering for a big heavy team in a playoff run, I think a team loaded with Mangiapanes could beat the heavys with speed & nimbleness while battling through the physicality.

I hope they sign him long term this off season.

Flamenspiel
03-03-2020, 08:13 AM
Definitely a top six player and along with Dube part if the reason that the Flames passed on getting a top six rental.

Rando
03-03-2020, 08:49 AM
The handwringing over his next contract by some is puzzling. Though considering the source perhaps not.

Mangiapane's having a fantastic season but still on pace for under 40 points. Outside shot he passes that but this still ample opportunity to lock down a good young piece for who's capable of a breakout.

GrantedEV was lamenting how Polie of Nasvhille wouldn't have nickle and dimed Mangiapane, would've signed him long term immediately. Granted has previously praised the Calle Jarnkrok contract, so can safely assume that's what he was referring to. Polie of course only signed Jaarnkrok to a long term deal after a one year contract once his ELC was done... exactly the same as Treliving and Mangipane.

Treliving deserves heat for many things, playing hardball with a guy who had 54 NHL games isn't one of them.

GioforPM
03-03-2020, 09:00 AM
Yeah, I have faith Mangiapane’s next contract will look pretty reasonable. He will make somewhere between 2 and 3 million for quite a few years I imagine. And that will look really really nice when he pots 25-30 every year.

CliffFletcher
03-03-2020, 09:28 AM
5'10", 184 lbs eh? I think those are pretty generous to the upside stats. He looks not much bigger to me than JG on the ice, though plays much bigger for sure.

Yeah, Mangiapane is developing into a very good player, but there's no way he's 5'10", 184. He looks closer in size to Paul Byron than he is to Marchand. I'd guess he's actually 5'8" and 170.

bubbsy
03-03-2020, 09:47 AM
Mangiapane has been a great surprise this year. He's got a decent shot & finish, ok speed, and decent offensive game.

What has made it a breakout year, at least in my eyes, is his realization of how to fight for the puck and actually win puck battles, in spite of his smaller size. He's added a level of tenacity that has really helped create turnovers and possession in the offensive zone.

I will say, that second line becoming a good line again, can be almost 80% attributed to Backlund suddenly waking up. We haven't seen this level of hustle, confidence, and just sheer try, at both ends of the ice from #11 in some time, but when he plays like that, he's an amazing #2 C to have. Hope he can keep it up.

VilleN
03-03-2020, 10:24 AM
Also, Mangiapane.

That is...bad.

And what if we signed him to a 3 year deal at 1-1.5mil; Mangiapane regressed, had a bad year and was sent to the AHL? It's easy to throw stones in hindsight. Mangiapane had not shown that he was worth more than 1 year at league min.

Zulu29
03-03-2020, 12:02 PM
Really glad I was completely wrong about him. I thought he’d be a tweener back and forth from the AHL.

Dajazz
03-03-2020, 12:09 PM
I’ve criticised him a lot for always falling over and being unable to keep his balance. I think he’s really learned how to pivot and use his lower body to his benefit. Great motor combined with a good hockey sense and skills. Some said he’s a bit like Byron and I would agree. Tenacious and skilled.

Glad he proved me wrong.

I won’t eat any crow, but I’ll gladly Eat Bread.

CSharp
03-03-2020, 01:17 PM
What an improvement over the last two seasons when he's up and down with the club. For some reason, he looked smaller in the past couple of years. Mange likely did a lot of weights coming into this season and he's a lot faster. Fact is, he's playing a man's game on both ends of the rink. Kind of reminds me of Fleury who's willing to give and take hits. I love Mange's speed and his compete level. Pretty much has become one of my favorite players now. 88's a great number.

Phaneufenstein
03-03-2020, 02:02 PM
Mangiapane is already better than Paul freaking Byron.

Textcritic
03-03-2020, 02:25 PM
Mangiapane is already better than Paul freaking Byron.
Yeah, when Byron was Mangiapane's age he was still playing and producing like a fourth-line player, playing on the fourth line. It took him another three years before eventually establishing himself as a middle-sixer, and I think he tops-out there. Mangiapane still has a tonne of room to grow, and lots of time to do it. He has been the Flames's best right-winger for a month now, and not all because of his deployment with Bakclund and Tkachuk. He is making his own room, starting, and finishing his own plays.

This is why I think Mangiapane is more Marchand than Byron.

Flames Draft Watcher
03-03-2020, 03:24 PM
Mangiapane's growth has been tremendous. He's really established himself as a top 6 winger. Very feisty, competitive and gritty combined with good puck skills and shooting.

With Dube really coming on lately it seems like the Flames have got another couple really solid young forwards to add into the core.

Johnhitbox
03-03-2020, 03:40 PM

I would say 5’8 1/12 170 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaskal
03-03-2020, 03:59 PM
This year everyone he's played more than 200 minutes of 5v5 hockey with has seen a boost to their underlying numbers (naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason=20192020&thruseason=20192020&stype=2&sit=5v5&stdoi=oi&rate=n&v=t&playerid=8478233).

dino7c
03-03-2020, 04:04 PM
I like him but you would think the guy had 80 points the way some people talk. Hope he continues to get better and think there is a pretty good chance he does.

Flash Walken
03-03-2020, 04:36 PM
I like him but you would think the guy had 80 points the way some people talk. Hope he continues to get better and think there is a pretty good chance he does.

I'm going to put the cart before the horse here a little bit, but:

I think Mangiapane has a better chance than not of hitting 25 goals this year or next.

Having a forward prospect work out to the point where he's likely to break the 20 goal barrier is a big deal on any club, but it's a super big deal on the Flames.

Goal scoring is the hardest thing to do in the NHL and the Flames might have a 25 goal scorer on their hands.

25 Goal Scorers drafted by the flames in the last 20 years:

Monahan
Gaudreau
Tkachuk

Even hitting 20 goals would put him in rare company for this organizaztion.

It's a big deal IMO.

united
03-05-2020, 01:31 PM
Well deserved thread, absolutely.

I had Mangiapane ranked as a fourth-round pick in his initial draft year, and was surprised to see him passed over by all teams completely. Then, in his D+1 year, I had him pegged as a mid third-round pick but he dropped to the sixth round when the Flames finally - and thankfully - scooped him up. I am so curious what caused teams to collectively pick over 350 players ahead of him. I haven't heard anything regarding attitude/off-ice issues, work ethic (obviously not an issue), or anything. Some would point to size, but anyone who watched him - and obviously scouts did - would have seen he plays well "above" his size. A mystery.

The sneaky part about Mangiapane is that his rate metrics, too, show a player who still has first line potential. The Flames have a really good player on their hands here and there is a legitimate chance he can turn into a regular 50+ point player which would be amazing. Even if he doesn't reach those raw scoring levels, his two-way game is absolutely outstanding which gives the luxury of having a player who can move up and down the lineup without issue and play in all situations. Now if he rounds out his offence to pair with his already superb defence, the sky is the limit.

He is going to be a very good member of the Flames for many years to come.

Leeman4Gilmour
03-05-2020, 01:48 PM

I found this string very positive about Mangiapane. Says he could get $3-$4 a year. If that comes to fruition, what a fabulous success story for the kid.

atb
03-05-2020, 02:38 PM
Dube might just be the third best defensive forward on the team (behind Backlund and Lindholm and right there with Reider). When he finds the net (and I’m betting he will) he’s top six material easily.

He wasn’t just a world junior team member. He was on it twice and was team captain once. He was PPG every year except his rookie year in the dub, and way over in his last year. PPG in the AHL.

I can see Dube breaking out next year similar to how Mangiapane did this year.

Love the way Mangiapane has the ability to drive the play. Carrying the puck into the zone and creating turnovers. Also impressive is that 11 out of his 13 assist have been primary, and all of his goals have been at even strength. No idea what his ceiling is, but his emergence this year has definitely been one of the high points.

djsFlames
03-05-2020, 02:59 PM
He may be tracking for 33-35 points but he's taken a rather large step in this second half, making very important plays that has played into the teams fate a lot of nights, and thats cause he's playing a big man's game now and doesn't quit in any situation.

His play last night where he had to corral the puck three times to get it away from the jackets players and over to Lindholm is a prime example of what he's doing right now.

That's the same step Dube needs to take. He plays big when its against prospect/skill players, but has to do it in the tighter, more physical Nhl game.

Textcritic
03-05-2020, 05:15 PM
He may be tracking for 33-35 points but he's taken a rather large step in this second half, making very important plays that has played into the teams fate a lot of nights, and thats cause he's playing a big man's game now and doesn't quit in any situation.
I'll take the over on 35 points. Mangiapane already has 30, and has been scoring at nearly a point/GP pace for over a month now.

TheScorpion
03-05-2020, 05:57 PM
I've decided to be pedantic today...

Textcritic, "35-points" is grammatically incorrect. The proper notation is "35 points."