PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with the coaching position?

TheScorpion
02-29-2020, 05:14 PM
There have been a ton of coach firings this year with plenty of big names on the sideline.

- Bruce Boudreau
- Peter Laviolette
- Gerard Gallant
- Mike Babcock

The Flames have also seen a coaching change this year with Geoff Ward taking over for the much-maligned Bill Peters in November.

But Ward has no previous NHL HC history and has shown some signs of his inexperience at times this year. With other names like Darryl Sutter, Guy Boucher, Dan Bylsma, and Lindy Ruff currently without NHL head coaching duties, I think it's a reasonable question to ask whether the Flames need new blood behind the bench. Ward is an interim coach for a reason, after all.

So what do you do? Do you make a change? If so, when? And who do you pick?

jmac98
02-29-2020, 05:16 PM
Make a change in the offseason. Focus on a proven coach and not an up and comer or hidden gem or whatever. Plenty of talent to choose from this go round, no excuses to get it wrong.

JurassicTunga12
02-29-2020, 05:20 PM
I'd hire any of the top 3 right now if they want to come here. Why not.
If they miss the playoffs, whatever, at least the coach has an idea of his players and how they play, and the players who remain know what to expect etc. If they make the playoffs? well, excellent, and they now have some extra practice time before game 1 to get used to the system.

Aarongavey
02-29-2020, 05:23 PM
Probably go with an unknown guy who shows some promise or with a guy who just needs a second chance like Jeff Blashill

scobel
02-29-2020, 05:26 PM
We missed a opportunity at the all star break to make the coaching change in my opinion, there was some great coaches available and would have been an upgrade on Ward.
It has really become apparent why he his a career assistant coach as he continues to make questionable decisions in key moments of the game. He has built great relationships with the players and this has served him well being a key person between the head coach and the players, but this seems to be the extent of his ability’s.
I know it is unheard of to make a change this late in the season, but if there is a coach out there that looks to be the coach of the future this maybe the time to make the change.
Overall I thought Treliving handled the Peters situation great but I have been disappointed with the follow up as it was a great opportunity to make a change a turn it into a positive even if that change was at the all star break.

midniteowl
02-29-2020, 05:27 PM
At this point in time, might as well wait till the off season. I don't think any of those coaches would be willing to come now. But if the would, I'd love to have GG.

mile
02-29-2020, 05:30 PM
The time to make a change was during the All-Star break or during the 3-day break after Family Day, I doubt they will make a change from now to the end of the season but would welcome any of Gallant, Laviolette, or Sutter right now if they wanted it.

djsFlames
02-29-2020, 05:31 PM
The good GG.

Do it already you bozos.

Manhattanboy
02-29-2020, 05:34 PM
Damage is done, too late season is likely lost.

But start interviewing candidates NOW.

CaptainCrunch
02-29-2020, 05:34 PM
Wait til the off season.

the coaches listed, its not like we can snap our fingers and hope real hard and they'll come here. They're waiting for opportunities that they can use of expansion franchises that they can choose. They'll all getting paid, they're not coming to Calgary, sorry.

Nsd1
02-29-2020, 05:36 PM
I don’t let Treliving hire another coach. Retool the management office and let them retool the coaching staff. Let the new management and coach retool the roster.

Roof-Daddy
02-29-2020, 05:37 PM
I'm not sure which is worse, the Flames not contacting Laviolette or the Flames contacting Laviolette and getting turned down.

One of those two things is true.

midniteowl
02-29-2020, 05:39 PM
The good GG.

Do it already you bozos.

Oh yes, pardon me, the good GG!

OldSam
02-29-2020, 05:42 PM
I would wait until the off season...I think. I expect if we continue to see the coaching errors continue, those exit interviews with the players should be very interesting, and not in a good way.

I would also not trade anyone of the perceived core until an experienced coach comes in.

I was astounded when Johnny had to try and get a timeout. You dance with the ones that got you there and apparently Ward didn't think the guys who just scored and were controlling the play were "his guys."

Fire
02-29-2020, 05:44 PM
Gallant would be my vote as well.

Dion
02-29-2020, 05:44 PM
I expect there will be a coaching change in the off season. I just hope Tre and Connie don't eff it up.

Willi Plett
02-29-2020, 05:49 PM
I would call a time out so we could take a breath, focus and have a good strategy.

Then I would immediately hire one of those top 3 coaches. Personally my favorite would be Gallant. But either of the other two also get a big green check mark.

Joborule
02-29-2020, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure which is worse, the Flames not contacting Laviolette or the Flames contacting Laviolette and getting turned down.

One of those two things is true.

The thing is though, these coaches that have been fired haven't been hired by any other organization that have relieved their coaches.

Bruce Boudreau
Peter Laviolette
Mike Babcock
Gerard Gallant

That's a list of coaches that have had success, and based on resume are prime candidates. Yet they haven't found a new team yet. For Mike Babcock, it's debatable if he's really that great of a coach. And with the allegations against him in how he treats players, may be considered a toxic add.

Only Peter DeBoer is a coach who's been fired this season, but found a new team.

These coaches likely are patiently waiting for the off season to come before deciding which team they are going to coach next. With the Seattle team in the horizon also, there's a lot of money for them to make, on top of the one they're already getting paycheques for. There's no need for them to rush when the season is now in the final stages.

Flames not getting a new coach yet I feel is a reflection of the market being unavailable currently.

KootenayFlamesFan
02-29-2020, 05:53 PM
I don’t let Treliving hire another coach. Retool the management office and let them retool the coaching staff. Let the new management and coach retool the roster.

The last coach he hired led the team to 1st in the West last season and was 4th in coach of the year voting.

I don't have any problem with Treliving making the next choice. Which will happen this summer.

zamler
02-29-2020, 05:55 PM
We need a coach with playoff experience and success.

jlh2640
02-29-2020, 05:56 PM
There have been a ton of coach firings this year with plenty of big names on the sideline.

- Bruce Boudreau
- Peter Laviolette
- Gerard Gallant
- Mike Babcock

The Flames have also seen a coaching change this year with Geoff Ward taking over for the much-maligned Bill Peters in November.

But Ward has no previous NHL HC history and has shown some signs of his inexperience at times this year. With other names like Darryl Sutter, Guy Boucher, Dan Bylsma, and Lindy Ruff currently without NHL head coaching duties, I think it's a reasonable question to ask whether the Flames need new blood behind the bench. Ward is an interim coach for a reason, after all.

So what do you do? Do you make a change? If so, when? And who do you pick?

We missed the coach we should’ve hired. Dave Tippett. And we missed on him multiple times

Erick Estrada
02-29-2020, 06:03 PM
We missed the coach we should’ve hired. Dave Tippett. And we missed on him multiple times

Tippet isn't a fit with the Flames as he and Maloney had a power struggle in Phoenix. Highly unlikely either would contemplate working together again.

CaptainYooh
02-29-2020, 06:07 PM
This.

Flash Walken
02-29-2020, 06:13 PM
The thing is though, these coaches that have been fired haven't been hired by any other organization that have relieved their coaches.

Bruce Boudreau
Peter Laviolette
Mike Babcock
Gerard Gallant

That's a list of coaches that have had success, and based on resume are prime candidates. Yet they haven't found a new team yet. For Mike Babcock, it's debatable if he's really that great of a coach. And with the allegations against him in how he treats players, may be considered a toxic add.

Only Peter DeBoer is a coach who's been fired this season, but found a new team.

These coaches likely are patiently waiting for the off season to come before deciding which team they are going to coach next. With the Seattle team in the horizon also, there's a lot of money for them to make, on top of the one they're already getting paycheques for. There's no need for them to rush when the season is now in the final stages.

Flames not getting a new coach yet I feel is a reflection of the market being unavailable currently.
John Hynes was let go by new jersey in december and hired by nashville in january.

Joborule
02-29-2020, 06:14 PM
John Hynes was let go by new jersey in december and hired by nashville in january.

Oh, I didn't even noticed he was with the Devils originally.

His NHL resume isn't much to look at which is probably why.

Spurly
02-29-2020, 06:20 PM
I think we should have hired a new coach at the break. I would chose eithe GG, or Lavy. I think it’s important to have your head coach, in on draft decisions, and sitting at the draft table on draft day.

Aarongavey
02-29-2020, 06:27 PM
Tippet isn't a fit with the Flames as he and Maloney had a power struggle in Phoenix. Highly unlikely either would contemplate working together again.

I would ditch Maloney myself, but your point is accurate. I guess Don could never figure out why Tippett could not win more with the talent he assembled in Arizona.

memphusk
02-29-2020, 06:28 PM
I think we should have hired a new coach at the break. I would chose eithe GG, or Lavy. I think it’s important to have your head coach, in on draft decisions, and sitting at the draft table on draft day.

That would be 3 head coaches in one season. Seems like two to many. Peter's deal is what it is now. Ward gets thrown into the fire. He isn't a great head coach and he's in over his head. Now #3 rolls on and tries to get something more?

1_Flames_Fan
02-29-2020, 06:29 PM
Tip to Flames owners... Coaches don't count against the salary cap [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Singularity
02-29-2020, 06:40 PM
- Bruce Boudreau
- Peter Laviolette
- Gerard Gallant
- Mike Babcock

GranteedEV
02-29-2020, 06:41 PM
I think as soon as Ward rattled off 7 straight wins he cemented his spot as Flames coach for the rest of the season, right or wrong.

He's also a guy Teeliving brought in here from another organization with the carrot on a stick of being Associate coach, which typically means being the interim after a coach is fired (unless they're Hartley/Cloutier or Gulutzan/Jerrard types who are a team).

There's also a personal aspect where Treliving is probably tight with Ward.

Geoff Ward isn't a good head coach. But for better or worse Treliving's not gonna fire Ward, at least not until deep into the offseason when everyone else is already employed.

Spurly
02-29-2020, 06:50 PM
I think as soon as Ward rattled off 7 straight wins he cemented his spot as Flames coach for the rest of the season, right or wrong.

He's also a guy Teeliving brought in here from another organization with the carrot on a stick of being Associate coach, which typically means being the interim after a coach is fired (unless they're Hartley/Cloutier or Gulutzan/Jerrard types who are a team).

Geoff Ward isn't a good head coach. But for better or worse Treliving's not gonna fire Ward, at least not until deep into the offseason when everyone else is already employed.

Tre does not have to fire Ward. He is only interim head coach, if Tre were to hire a head coach, Ward moves back to his former position. Associate coach

1qqaaz
02-29-2020, 06:51 PM
I think it's obvious the Flames should hire one of Boudreau, Gallant, or Laviolette.
But if the Flames miss the playoffs, I don't think Treliving doesn't come back.
So perhaps it doesn't make sense to hire a real head coach until the Flames' season concluded.

calgarygeologist
02-29-2020, 07:04 PM
I think now is the time for a couple of reasons. First, we have seen what the team is contributing under Ward and it isn't all that impressive. A new coach could get a bump in energy going into the stretch run for the playoffs. Obviously it might be too late in the season for a coach to make major changes to the teams style but even minor changes could be beneficial. Secondly, a 15 game run for a new coach gives him time to evaluate the team, players and formulate a plan for moving forward. The new guy can highlight which players he wants and which players can be traded or not signed in the off season. It would be unfortunate to let Flames management go through the draft and Free Agency building a roster that a coach has to inherit and not have any say in.

Hemi-Cuda
02-29-2020, 07:13 PM
The last coach he hired led the team to 1st in the West last season and was 4th in coach of the year voting.

I don't have any problem with Treliving making the next choice. Which will happen this summer.

The first half of last season was an anomaly. If you look at how the Flames played the 2nd half, the playoffs, and the first half of this year it was far more in line with his time in Carolina, where he missed the playoffs for 4 straight years. I don't trust Treliving with hiring another coach, he's as bad at that as signing UFAs

GreenLantern2814
02-29-2020, 07:30 PM
Either of Gallant or Laviolette will do.

We should have hired Laviolette instead of Brent way back in 09.

Calgary4LIfe
02-29-2020, 07:31 PM
- Bruce Boudreau
- Peter Laviolette
- Gerard Gallant
- Mike Babcock

Agree with this list (especially with Babock crossed out!), and would also add:

- Darryl Sutter

I don't know if he is on the top of my list with the choices available right now, but when the Flames were hiring Peters, I remember Sutter's name was brought up by the ownership group and leaked by the media as a guy they wanted. I wonder if that will have any influence this time around.

motorcrosser
02-29-2020, 07:41 PM
Tre does not have to fire Ward. He is only interim head coach, if Tre were to hire a head coach, Ward moves back to his former position. Associate coachA new head coach is going to want his assistants, not previous ones.

dissentowner
02-29-2020, 07:44 PM
I think it is apparent we will be stuck with Ward for the rest of the year. The good news is those big name guys will still be available I think come the off season. Time to finally give this team a legit highly reputed head coach.

Table 5
02-29-2020, 07:56 PM

It doesn’t matter who the GM is if you have the same philosophy and interference at the ownership level.

DazzlinDino
02-29-2020, 07:57 PM

I know Treliving preaches patience but if he waits too long the list of available coaches will get snapped up somewhere else. The talent is there but the right coach can move them along quickly. Personally I wish we had hired Darryl, he may have been short lived but the young guys would have learned quickly how to be the hardest working team while following a rock solid game plan.

Had Treliving done that a lot of our young guys would have molded with higher expectations. Instead an inexperienced GM at the time, hired Glen Gulutzan, an inexperienced coach. Glen Gulutzan couldn't get the players to follow a system. Constantly experimenting at the time when we needed wins. His usage of players and his dreaded PP, what a waste! Why not just hire a proven coach? Seems pretty simple strategy to hit a home run a lot quicker.

Hoping he gets it right this time so we can get this team moving along.

Igottago
02-29-2020, 07:57 PM
Hire a coach with a winning NHL resume. It's that simple. It's been that simple for years, but for reasons unknown it never seems to occur.

mikephoen
02-29-2020, 07:59 PM
With only 8 games left in the 1999–2000 season, Lamoriello fired Ftorek and replace him with Larry Robinson and they won the cup. So it's not unheard of to change coaches this late in the season, even if the current guy was doing a good job on paper. Ftorek had the devils with the 4th best record in the league at the time he was fired. Lamoriello didn't like the way they were playing though, so he made the change.

shadowlord
02-29-2020, 08:29 PM
Gaskal. 'Nuff said.

calgaryred
02-29-2020, 08:58 PM
Get the feeling if the Flames squweek in the playoffs Ward gets a one year contract

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Strange Brew
02-29-2020, 09:03 PM
Tip to Flames owners... Coaches don't count against the salary cap [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Correct. But paying your racist ex coach two years of salary in one fiscal year sure counts against the operating budget.

Rejean31
02-29-2020, 09:03 PM

Sounds like Laviolette or Gallant or even Darryl Sutter to me.

Buff
02-29-2020, 09:13 PM
As soon as the Flames went on that 7 game winning streak they committed to Geoff Ward for the rest of the season. They couldn't replace him after winning 7 straight, that's just bad optics all around. They had to give him more time and really, with the time needed to prove he isn't a good coach, it was too late to make a 2nd coaching change in the season.

I think Geoff Ward is a very good coach. I just don't think he is a head coach.

I'm content waiting until the off season. It looks like Gallant, Laviolette and Boudreau are also okay with waiting. I'm not sure we could get one of those anyway. I think Gallant is holding out for the likely vacancy in Detroit. Laviolette has nothing but time. He can go wherever he wants to go. Probably Boudreau too. My pick of those three would be Gallant. I was surprised he was fired. They weren't even planning on it, but VGK mgmt saw something they liked in DeBoer and jumped all over it when he was fired in SJ. I would also welcome Darryl Sutter too.

I don't think we'll see Babcock coaching for a couple of years.

TheScorpion
02-29-2020, 09:16 PM
What if none of those guys want to come here, Buff?

Flash Walken
02-29-2020, 09:16 PM
It doesn’t matter who the GM is if you have the same philosophy and interference at the ownership level.

But what kind of GM keeps signing on to that kind of situation?

Surely not one who thinks he's got opportunities elsewhere.

Is Treliving just a yes-man extension of jay feaster?

mikephoen
02-29-2020, 09:26 PM
Correct. But paying your racist ex coach two years of salary in one fiscal year sure counts against the operating budget.

Did Murray Edwards get to be a billionaire by pure dumb luck? Did he just make a bunch of short term decisions and have them continuously go right and stumble into long term success? Or have one go so perfectly he never needed to look at the long term again?

I ask because that's how his hockey team has been run for at least the last decade since Harley passed away. Always making moves to squeak into the playoffs where 'anything can happen!'. Rushing the rebuild with things like the Hamonic trade and the horrible free agent signings like Brouwer and Neal.

It doesn't even make sense financially for this year.

Option 1: Ride out the year with Ward. Maybe make the playoffs and get a couple home playoff games, or maybe miss altogether.

Option 2: Spend the money, get one of the 4! elite coaches that aren't doing anything right now and make a charge while the Pacific division is as weak as it's been in the cap era. The path to the conference finals is wide open!

But for Murray Edwards, it's better to slip into the playoffs with a coach that gets outcoached at every opportunity, because if you get in, 'Anything can happen!'.

btimbit
02-29-2020, 09:37 PM
I like Ward but you if have a chance to upgrade to a Laviolette, Gallant or Boudreau, you absolutely take it

N-E-B
02-29-2020, 11:42 PM
I’ve defended Ward all season but I think today was my tipping point. I don’t think he’s an idiot, those comments are ridiculous. He’s just not head coach material right now.

danny darko
03-01-2020, 07:37 AM
This team seems to excel early and go on winning streaks under new coaches, so I'd say replacing the coach twice between now and the end of the season should guarantee a playoff spot!

In all seriousness, if they have their eye on a candidate, and that coach is willing to come here, I'd say pull the trigger asap. If he's your guy moving forward, then have him assess this group with management for the remainder of the season and include him on your discussions on who to move forward with/without heading into next season (assuming some substantial roster changes will be coming).

Toonage
03-01-2020, 07:43 AM
Agreed. 3rd coach in a season be damned. Who cares. Get a permanent replacement in asap.

GioforPM
03-01-2020, 08:04 AM

I don’t think they are doing that. They obviously came to a settlement which by definition is less than full payment.

GioforPM
03-01-2020, 08:06 AM
I like Ward but you have a choice to upgrade to a Laviolette, Gallant or Boudreau, you absolutely take it

There’s a flaw in your premise. I don’t think they had the choice - I don’t think any of them are available right now. It would, in fact, be silly for them to do so.

OldSam
03-01-2020, 08:08 AM
I agree with those that think Laviolette goes to Detroit. Perfect situation. Great GM. Rebuilding team. I would like Gallant but he seems made for Seattle. Never liked Boudreau.

Darryl is tough but honest. You might not like what he says but in your heart, you know it is true. That's what his former players say.

I feel sick to my stomach we are wasting all these years with "tryout" coaches. It is time to give these players someone who can guide them properly to become the team we have seen they can be at times.

Vinny01
03-01-2020, 08:21 AM
Because there are so many long term candidates available at the moment I don’t think making a change would be a bad thing. If this team gets the new coach boost that could be enough to get them through the first round of the playoffs which I think would have been the minimum organizational goal for the year.

Da_Chief
03-01-2020, 08:22 AM
Really think the talk of coaches not wanting to come here is ridiculous.

There are 32 NHL head coaching chairs, once the music stops some of these guys might not have a chair. Look at guys like Lindy Ruff, Ron Wilson, Jacque Martin etc. Coaches with success but once the league moved on from them, they've been left as assistants wherever they can get a job. If they want to be a HC still, they will interview for all open positions.

Who would've thought a big personality like Burke would've come to Calgary? For me that was a bigger surprise hire, even though he'd worked in Vancouver and Toronto previously.

Strange Brew
03-01-2020, 08:32 AM
I don’t think they are doing that. They obviously came to a settlement which by definition is less than full payment.

I don’t know why Peters would have settled for anything materially less than what he was contractually owed. If Peters gave them much of a discount for any minor concessions like being allowed to resign, then his negotiating skills are on par with his racial sensitivities, among other things.

What do you think they settled for?

Hackey
03-01-2020, 08:36 AM
Laviolette and Gallant would be great. I feel like the make up of this group might not work with Sutter. Boudreau I'm indifferent on. Take him over Ward though probably.

Sylvanfan
03-01-2020, 09:02 AM
Sounds like Laviolette will not come to Canada, especially a small Western outpost like Calgary if there are any American options.

Gallant is pretty much penciled in for Detroit.

Seattle will be a very attractive job. San Jose also is will be a job that interests top guys.

So finding a new coach isn't as easy as just hiring the guys who are out there. The prime candidates are still getting paid and like free agents get to choose where they work.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the Flames are working off the B list of available coaches. But I do think Ward will not retain the job unless the team has a run that no one saw to close the season and gets to the Conference Finals.

Erick Estrada
03-01-2020, 09:07 AM
Laviolette and Gallant would be great. I feel like the make up of this group might not work with Sutter. Boudreau I'm indifferent on. Take him over Ward though probably.

Boudreau would be instantly by far the best coach this organization has had since Darryl and probably the 3rd best in the history of the organization on day one of his hiring. A .635 winning percentage in over 2000 games is top three all-time. The reality is he's guaranteed to do better than Gallant at least in the regular season who doesn't' have nearly the record of overall success. You think a team that values just making the playoffs like the Flames would go all out to get a guy that does that every season.

dissentowner
03-01-2020, 10:42 AM
Boudreau has also always spoken highly of the Flames when asked about them in the past. I think he is our best bet as a guy who would be excited to get the gig. His record is fantastic and he has employed different systems depending on the roster he was working with. He coached an uptempo possession team in Washington, something this team needs to employ. The more I think about it the more I think he is the best fit here. I like that he is a players coach but can be a hard ass in the room when needed.

Kovaz
03-01-2020, 11:01 AM
I'd be all over Boudreau, he's an excellent coach. The playoff game 7 thing is way overblown IMO. Taking the eventual cup winner to 7 games and losing the goalie battle in game 7 is nothing to be ashamed of, and he's had that happen 3 times.

rooster
03-01-2020, 11:04 AM

That is chicken feed for Edwards compared to what he has siphoned off from hard working Albertans.

Erick Estrada
03-01-2020, 11:10 AM
I'd be all over Boudreau, he's an excellent coach. The playoff game 7 thing is way overblown IMO. Taking the eventual cup winner to 7 games and losing the goalie battle in game 7 is nothing to be ashamed of, and he's had that happen 3 times.

Good article below in regards to his legacy. Of of the game 7 losses he's coached, his goaltenders have been largely been terrible in those games and that's somewhat out of a coach's control. As we see a lot in the playoffs in tight series, the difference between winning and losing usually comes down to goaltending.

https://puckprose.com/2020/02/15/bruce-boudreau-legacy-complicated-fascinating/

taxbuster
03-01-2020, 11:53 AM
Did Murray Edwards get to be a billionaire by pure dumb luck?

Judging by how the Flames are run the answer is likely: "Yes".

calgarygeologist
03-01-2020, 12:32 PM
Sounds like Laviolette will not come to Canada, especially a small Western outpost like Calgary if there are any American options.

Gallant is pretty much penciled in for Detroit.

Seattle will be a very attractive job. San Jose also is will be a job that interests top guys.

So finding a new coach isn't as easy as just hiring the guys who are out there. The prime candidates are still getting paid and like free agents get to choose where they work.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the Flames are working off the B list of available coaches. But I do think Ward will not retain the job unless the team has a run that no one saw to close the season and gets to the Conference Finals.

We constantly hear about players or coaches not interested in coming to Calgary for various reasons. As such it sounds like we are destined to be a bottom tier team if we can't attract or keep top talent. A big part of the role that the GM and Owners should undertake is changing attitudes and doing everything they can to bring in the best of the best. If the market won't support great players and coaches coming to town I would certainly be looking at relocation options if I was the ownership group.

The Hendog
03-01-2020, 12:43 PM
Hire Gallant in the offseason

Sounds like he has a short shelf life but gets good results during that time.

Time is right, team is in its prime for results as well so giver and hope it works.

Tailgator
03-01-2020, 01:32 PM
I’m sure Ward is a nice guy and I’m sure he’s a good AHL coach, maybe a decent NHL assistant coach, but he doesn’t seem to be able to hang with the head coaches in the NHL.

He seems to get out coached a lot of games. In game adjustments seem to turn out poorly. Not calling a time out to rest your guys the throwing out Looch with the extra man? C’mon man!

He doesn’t seem to have a really good handle on personnel either. This deep into the season and Backlund, Johnny, and Monny have to come to the coach to suggest where to put things?

I think it’s time for this organization to actually put a real, proven head coach in place. Someone with playoff success that can roll with the rigours of stretch/playoff hockey.

Laviolette and Gallant would be solid choices. As would Boudreau.

GioforPM
03-01-2020, 03:04 PM
I don’t know why Peters would have settled for anything materially less than what he was contractually owed. If Peters gave them much of a discount for any minor concessions like being allowed to resign, then his negotiating skills are on par with his racial sensitivities, among other things.

What do you think they settled for?

Because there would have been an argument he was let go for cause, in which case he gets zero. Also an argument the other way. So you settle.

My guess? 50-50

Hey Connor, It's Mess
03-01-2020, 03:19 PM
I doubt the Gallant's and Laviollette's are interested in coaching the Flames. They'll sit back and relax with their families until the off-season unfolds and they pick an American club. Flames haven't showed any willingness in the past to spend big on a coach so I expect another underwhelming hire, honestly. The only hope we have as fans is if the management and ownership group feel desperate enough to pay market price for a real, playoff-experienced coach.

btimbit
03-01-2020, 03:36 PM
There’s a flaw in your premise. I don’t think they had the choice - I don’t think any of them are available right now. It would, in fact, be silly for them to do so.

I actually made a typo. I meant to say Chance instead of Choice

drewtastic
03-01-2020, 04:22 PM
At this point, I'd just like someone who can have some longevity...

I guess the likes of Badger Bob really are hard to find. Man, I miss that guy.

Strange Brew
03-01-2020, 05:00 PM
Because there would have been an argument he was let go for cause, in which case he gets zero. Also an argument the other way. So you settle.

My guess? 50-50

I think that is very, very unlikely. That would have been a delicate argument for the Flames to make given these things occurred prior to him being under contract with the club. No doubt both sides signed confidentiality agreements and releases, but IMO I doubt he would have given up on two years of pay so quickly.

Corral
03-01-2020, 05:25 PM
Firing coaches every couple years has caught up to this franchise. You can only scapegoat for so long. We seem to be the last stop for head coaching aspirations. Thats no secret and lots of talent will simply look elsewhere. Won’t be surprised if ward gets to stay

Flames Draft Watcher
03-01-2020, 05:34 PM
Firing coaches every couple years has caught up to this franchise. You can only scapegoat for so long. We seem to be the last stop for head coaching aspirations. Thats no secret and lots of talent will simply look elsewhere. Won’t be surprised if ward gets to stay

Well that's one way to view it (the jaded way I guess)

The other way to view it as the anybody coming is gets to coach a team that is mostly unchanged from best in the west in 2018-19 and that has tremendous young talent (Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau, Mangiapane, Dube, Valimaki, Andersson, Hanifin, Kylington) and some good veterans (Backlund, Gio, Ryan). Ownership is seen as very stable as well and management has been quite stable of the last number of years

So while you're grasping to find reasons why coaches will turn us down, there's plenty of obvious reasons as to why the Flames would be a very attractive place to coach. I'm sure there are some coaches that wouldn't want to come here. But overall I would think its a quite attractive destination for some given the roster composition and the youth of the core. This team will be competitive for many years to come.

badradio
03-01-2020, 06:28 PM
Ward will be a blip in the Flames history books... Should hire someone now, but I know they won’t. Also, you don’t fire a guy like Peters and hire Sutter or Babs... Unfortunate, because I think it’s what the team needs. Gallant would be my first choice. IMO firing Hartley and hiring the bad GG was the worst move Tre ever made and set this organization back years.

redforever
03-01-2020, 07:02 PM
Ward will be a blip in the Flames history books... Should hire someone now, but I know they won’t. Also, you don’t fire a guy like Peters and hire Sutter or Babs... Unfortunate, because I think it’s what the team needs. Gallant would be my first choice. IMO firing Hartley and hiring the bad GG was the worst move Tre ever made and set this organization back years.

This

Corral
03-01-2020, 07:11 PM
Well that's one way to view it (the jaded way I guess)

The other way to view it as the anybody coming is gets to coach a team that is mostly unchanged from best in the west in 2018-19 and that has tremendous young talent (Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau, Mangiapane, Dube, Valimaki, Andersson, Hanifin, Kylington) and some good veterans (Backlund, Gio, Ryan). Ownership is seen as very stable as well and management has been quite stable of the last number of years

So while you're grasping to find reasons why coaches will turn us down, there's plenty of obvious reasons as to why the Flames would be a very attractive place to coach. I'm sure there are some coaches that wouldn't want to come here. But overall I would think its a quite attractive destination for some given the roster composition and the youth of the core. This team will be competitive for many years to come.

I’d like to believe you. However this promising young core has yet to attract that star coach you have envisioned here. I’m just tired of blaming the coaching staff. So I could really care less if they stick with ward. Real star players still get it done and make the coaching look stellar at the same time

Dajazz
03-01-2020, 10:34 PM

Well, several players have gone on record saying he was a full blown psychopath so I’m not so sure. I liked Bob a lot, but the stories coming our (like bullying Baertchi to a point when the kid was crying in the locker room) put a different light on his tenure here.

blender
03-01-2020, 11:13 PM
I think moving on from Hartley was inevitable and necessary but the GG hire was a bad move.

ForeverFlameFan
03-01-2020, 11:19 PM
Hire a coach with 5+ HC experience and with playoff success. Laviolette would be my ideal candidate.

dino7c
03-01-2020, 11:26 PM
See where Ward takes this team this season before making any decisions

Flames have a really good record since he took over and results are what matters

GioforPM
03-02-2020, 07:29 AM
Well, several players have gone on record saying he was a full blown psychopath so I’m not so sure. I liked Bob a lot, but the stories coming our (like bullying Baertchi to a point when the kid was crying in the locker room) put a different light on his tenure here.

And what always seemed offputting to me was that Hartley was Mr. Jovial in interviews and press conferences, while apparently being a hard ass with the players. I distrust someone who is phoney like that. I can handle a tough coach like Sutter more, because you know that he’s roughly the same with players as he is publicly. Same with, say, Torts.

Textcritic
03-02-2020, 08:33 AM
See where Ward takes this team this season before making any decisions

Flames have a really good record since he took over and results are what matters
It is not just about results. It is also about how the team plays. The large discrepancy in the home and road records is mystifying, the coaches often make baffling lineup decisions, and while the Flames boast the 12th-best record since Peters left the bench there is a strong sense that they could be even better with better coaching.

Toonage
03-02-2020, 08:37 AM
I hope when Ward is let go he's surprised and yells "hey, hey time out"

Then everyone pauses for a second, then they laugh. Then he leaves.

Monahammer
03-02-2020, 11:10 AM
I think Laviolette should be number 1, Bruce Boudreau number 2, and Gallant a close 3.

Boudreau over Gallant because Boudreau has a proven record of getting the most out of players, or waking them up. I think our group could use some of that.

FlamesAddiction
03-02-2020, 11:17 AM
I think moving on from Hartley was inevitable and necessary but the GG hire was a bad move.

The GG hire annoys me the most because there was a game of coaching musical chairs going on and when the music stopped, the Flames were left standing alone. It seemed like a panic move when everyone else on the list was snapped up. I doubt GG was even in the top 5 list of coaches they wanted at the time.

I have nothing against Ward, but I would entertain the idea of bringing in Gallant.

GioforPM
03-02-2020, 12:24 PM
I think that is very, very unlikely. That would have been a delicate argument for the Flames to make given these things occurred prior to him being under contract with the club. No doubt both sides signed confidentiality agreements and releases, but IMO I doubt he would have given up on two years of pay so quickly.

It’s delicate, I suppose, but he would also have the risk of a public trial. I’ve dealt with Edwards in legal situations and he presses every advantage. He’s aggressive. If they gave him contract value there would have been zero delay (and if you recall there was about a week or two of negotiations). He definitely got less than two years.

Itse
03-03-2020, 10:34 AM
It is not just about results. It is also about how the team plays. The large discrepancy in the home and road records is mystifying, the coaches often make baffling lineup decisions, and while the Flames boast the 12th-best record since Peters left the bench there is a strong sense that they could be even better with better coaching.

A bad home record is to me a huge warning sign that there might be a problem with coaching.

If a coach can't take advantage of home ice, he's likely not very good.

Ward is currently the main reason why I have little faith in the Flames playoff chances. I think he's going to get schooled by his opposite number, just like Peters and Gulutzan got schooled.

Our season series against the Oilers is a good example of how I see a playoff series playing out, with Flames best game being their first and each game tilting the tables more towards the opposition.

The Oilers roster is worse than ours, but they're ahead of us in the standings because they have a much better, more experienced head coach.

JBR
03-03-2020, 11:06 AM
Ward needs to take this team past Round 1 to keep his job, IMO.

dissentowner
03-03-2020, 11:08 AM
Ward needs to take this team past Round 1 to keep his job, IMO.

That is where I am torn. I want the team to get past rnd 1 but I would rather they didn't if it means Ward gets the interim tag removed. We need a real coach with a real system to have a real chance at winning a SC.

Abatedmean
03-03-2020, 11:17 AM
That is where I am torn. I want the team to get past rnd 1 but I would rather they didn't if it means Ward gets the interim tag removed. We need a real coach with a real system to have a real chance at winning a SC.

Which is sad. You should be able to have faith in your GM to make the right call. Just because they do good this offseason could potentially keep them from doing great in the future with a better coach.

Erick Estrada
03-03-2020, 12:17 PM

I will still of course hope for winning in the playoffs but the upside of Treliving removing the interim tag is that it will probably be the final nail in the coffin for him as he's not likely to survive another bad coaching hire.