PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Potential Playoff Lineup vs 2019 Lineup

cupofjoe
02-26-2020, 01:14 PM
Maybe I am a glass half-full guy, but I like our potential playoff lineup this year compared to last year.

Lucic >> Neal
Dube > Frolik
Rinaldo / Reider = Hathaway
Forbort / Gustafsson >> Fantenberg
This assuming Hamonic can go if not

Gustafsson < Hamonic
Forbort >> Fantenberg

Rittich / Talbot = Smith (2019 Playoff version)

I am predicting that the division end up with Vancouver / Calgary in 2nd and 3rd and matchup for the first round. I think we match up well against the Canucks.

Gaudreau Monahan Lindholm
Tkachuk Backlund Frolik
Bennett Jankowski Neal
Mangiapane Ryan Hathaway

Quine Lazar Czarnik

Giordano Brodie
Hanifin Hamonic
Fantenberg Andersson

Kylington Prout Stone Valimaki

Smith
Rittich

Gaudreau Monahan Lindholm
Tkachuk Backlund Mangiapane
Lucic Ryan Dube
Bennett Jankowski Reider

Rinaldo Quine Czarnik Robinson

Giordano Brodie
Hanifin Andersson
Hamonic Forbort/Gustafsson

Kylington Stone Valimaki

Rittich
Talbot

TheScorpion
02-26-2020, 01:16 PM
I like the Flames' chances to win a round or two this year.

I don't see any Colorados in the Pacific and even then I'm not convinced last year wasn't a fluke.

blankall
02-26-2020, 01:36 PM
Obviously you'd rather have the 2019 version of Giordano, Gaudreau, and Monahan than this year's version thus far.

I do agree with your main point though. Defensive and forward depth looks much better. The bottom line guys are all of much higher quality than last year's team. The 2020 versions Mangiapane, Andersson, Rittich, and Tkachuk are all significantly improved too.

First step is to secure a playoff spot though. The Flames have unfortunately placed themselves in a playoff race in admittedly not so great Western conference, but one with a lot of mediocre depth. IE: The top end out side of STL/COL may not be great, but the number of bubble caliber teams is high.

IamNotKenKing
02-26-2020, 01:45 PM
I like the Flames' chances to win four rounds this year.

I don't see any Colorados in the Pacific and even then I'm not convinced last year wasn't a fluke.

Fixed your post.

Textcritic
02-26-2020, 01:48 PM
Obviously you'd rather have the 2019 version of Giordano, Gaudreau, and Monahan than this year's version thus far...
I personally don't want much to do with the 2019 vintages of Gaudreau and Monahan:

Johnny Gaudreau: 84 GP 25G 75Pts (0.89)
Sean Monahan: 80 GP 26G 67Pts (0.84)

I would much prefer 2018 versions:

Johnny Gaudreau: 81 GP 32G 96Pts (1.19)
Sean Monahan: 75 GP 34G 78Pts (1.04)

edslunch
02-26-2020, 02:00 PM
First step is to secure a playoff spot though. The Flames have unfortunately placed themselves in a playoff race in admittedly not so great Western conference, but one with a lot of mediocre depth.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. One factor in last year's playoff loss might have been the the Avs were in playoff form having fought to get in while the Flames were coasting from ASG on.

blankall
02-26-2020, 02:01 PM
I personally don't want much to do with the 2019 vintages of Gaudreau and Monahan:

Johnny Gaudreau: 84 GP 25G 75Pts (0.89)
Sean Monahan: 80 GP 26G 67Pts (0.84)

I would much prefer 2018 versions:

Johnny Gaudreau: 81 GP 32G 96Pts (1.19)
Sean Monahan: 75 GP 34G 78Pts (1.04)

Should have clarified. Was referring to the playoff seasons. So 2019 vs 2020 going into the playoffs.

SuperMatt18
02-26-2020, 02:19 PM
I like the Flames' chances to win a round or two this year.

IMO winning a round all rides on the "Big 5" forwards.

Gaudreau: 0.6 PPG
Monahan: 0.65 PPG
Lindholm: 0.4 PPG
Tkachuk: 0.33 PPG
Backlund: 0.4 PPG

That is the career PPG for our core forwards in the playoffs, and frankly you're not going to win many series with that type of production from your top 6. So it needs to be better.

I actually think our depth pieces (Ryan, Mangiapane, Dube, Lucic, Bennett,etc) will be fine come the playoffs and play playoff style hockey. Need the improvement from the top 6.

In terms of improvement I think the biggest change to the roster is just in overall depth and improvement from our defensive depth.

This year:
Brodie
Giordano
Hanifin
Andersson
Hamonic ( if he can return)
Forbort
Gustaffsson
Valimaki (if he can return)
Kylington
Stone

Last Year (Players who played a playoff game):
Giordano
Brodie
Hamonic
Hanifin
Andersson
Valimaki
Fantenberg

The younger players (Andersson, Hanifin) have one more year of experience, and the team has way more options and flexibility on defense. So if there is an advantage YoY I think the defensive depth, and experience are way better.

bax
02-26-2020, 02:20 PM
Honestly it’s all about getting hot at the right time. If the Flames can ramp up and hit a peak here going into the playoffs I like there chances much more than last year regardless of who they are playing.

Playing a month of mostly meaningless hockey before playoffs last season hurt them.

Canada 02
02-26-2020, 02:20 PM
I would suggest that post-all-star Johnny and Mony 2020 has been much better than post-all-star Johnny and Mony 2019.

They still have room to improve, but on the right trajectory. Last year they peaked in January; hopefully, this year they peak in May/June

Itse
02-26-2020, 02:22 PM
Rinaldo / Reider = Hathaway

Hathaway was and is better than Rinaldo and Reider combined. Brings hustle like Reider, brings physicality like Rinaldo, scores more points than both of them combined. 11 goals last season, on pace to about 10 this season.

If that's the one spot where we're clearly weaker then obviously it's not a big deal, but let's not sell Hathaway short. He's pretty good for what he is.

As for the defensemen, too soon to say.

In general I've never waivered from my opinion that this roster is pretty good.

DJones
02-26-2020, 02:25 PM
Half our players didn't show up last year so we could be a completely different team.

Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane right now is a massive upgrade from the 2nd half of last years 2nd line.

Hanifin - Andersson is better than Hanifin-Hamonic

I think when the games actually matter the 3rd line will be Dube - Bennett - Ryan, Bennetts so far been one of our few consistent playoff performers so could be good.

It really all depends if we get Saddledome Flames or Away Flames. They are not the same team.

N-E-B
02-26-2020, 02:28 PM
They key will be to avoid that 2nd Wild Card spot. If they finish there and have to play St. Louis in round 1 I don’t like their chances.

I think the Flames could beat any of Vegas, Vancouver, or Edmonton and I think they could lose to any of them too. The Pacific is a crap shoot this year. Just avoid playing a central team and I think the 3rd round is easily attainable for any of the Pacific teams.

Keselke
02-26-2020, 02:37 PM
You seem to be overlooking the regression of

Gaudreau
Monahan
Lindholm
Giordano

Those are our top guys and they were better last season. Can they step up in the playoffs this year? To be determined

But as far as a starting playoff lineup compared year to year, our best players are worse.

heep223
02-26-2020, 02:42 PM

Gaudreau
Monahan
Lindholm
Giordano

Those are our top guys and they were better last season. Can they step up in the playoffs this year? To be determined

But as far as a starting playoff lineup compared year to year, our best players are worse.

And our worse players are better. I think the point is that if the top guys can round into form down the stretch, this team could actually go deep. It won't be too hard for the top players to better their playoff performances from last year with that experience under their belts.

cupofjoe
02-26-2020, 02:44 PM

Gaudreau
Monahan
Lindholm
Giordano

I agree completely about Gio, he was unreal last year.

Gaudreau, Monny, Lindy trended poorly into the playoffs last year where this year they seem to be on a upward trend. Hard to say if this makes them better for the playoffs or not.

AT77
02-26-2020, 02:48 PM
Lol, come on guys. These are our beloved flames we’re talking about...bounced first round.

The Cobra
02-26-2020, 02:50 PM
I agree completely about Gio, he was unreal last year.

Gaudreau, Monny, Lindy trended poorly into the playoffs last year where this year they seem to be on a upward trend. Hard to say if this makes them better for the playoffs or not.

We don't really know how they are trending going into the playoffs, because that's more than a month away.

cupofjoe
02-26-2020, 02:57 PM
Lol, come on guys. These are our beloved flames we’re talking about...bounced first round.

I guessing you are a member of the 'glass half-empty' camp.

R0taryRocket
02-26-2020, 03:05 PM
I guessing you are a member of the 'glass half-empty' camp.

Or he is someone who believes past performances predict future results. They've only made it out of the first round twice in the last 30 years. As much as I hate to admit it, I like their chances if stacked up against Vancouver.

ForeverFlameFan
02-26-2020, 03:22 PM
The Flames just need to win a playoff round to gain momentum. We have two goaltenders that we can switch off from if one does not play well in the postseason. And before anyone says that isn't a recipe for success, see Pittsburgh. Goalies can win you games.

I know that our top 6 isn't producing as well as they did in the previous year, but to my eye test it looks like most of them have been playing some great two way play, namely Gaudreau. If we get the post-AS break Gaudreau who is playing on both sides of the ice, then we are going to have a legitimate shot. I do agree with the poster above stating that our top 6 does need to produce points in the playoffs if we want to have any kind of success. Can't be relying on Sam Bennett to be our leading scorer.

TheScorpion
02-26-2020, 03:27 PM

oh I see by the big board we got a negative Nellie in sector two!

i'm afraid i'm gonna have to ask the whole forum to kinda freeze and prepare for re-Neducation!

Weitz
02-26-2020, 03:29 PM
They key will be to avoid that 2nd Wild Card spot. If they finish there and have to play St. Louis in round 1 I don’t like their chances.

I think the Flames could beat any of Vegas, Vancouver, or Edmonton and I think they could lose to any of them too. The Pacific is a crap shoot this year. Just avoid playing a central team and I think the 3rd round is easily attainable for any of the Pacific teams.

This. Any team in the pacific has a shot IMO unless that team ends up the second wild card. And while anything can happen i'll likely be betting on St Louis or Dallas.

Hot_Flatus
02-26-2020, 03:40 PM
That's not necessarily a bad thing. One factor in last year's playoff loss might have been the the Avs were in playoff form having fought to get in while the Flames were coasting from ASG on.

I think this is drastically overblown and was more of a microcosm of the bigger fact: The Flames simply didn't compete hard enough and were unable to raise their level of play when another team did.

It will be no different this year, if they do get in, unless of course the same players that faltered are now able to step up.

Jiri Hrdina
02-26-2020, 03:59 PM
Or he is someone who believes past performances predict future results. They've only made it out of the first round twice in the last 30 years. As much as I hate to admit it, I like their chances if stacked up against Vancouver.

But that's kinda silly. What the team did in past decades has little relevance.
The performance last year does - as little of the team has changed.
But beyond that - not relevant.

GioforPM
02-26-2020, 04:10 PM

Was going to say this - there's no one associated with the 1990 Flames around.

At best you could try to make arguments around the changeover in who was running ownership (I don't even know the date - I know Hotchkiss was still Chairman of the NHL BOG as of 2007).

djsFlames
02-26-2020, 04:30 PM
I saw a team that lost momentum and confidence late last year. Because of that they couldn't adjust to a Colorado push from game 2 onward.

I see a team that looks on the verge of doing the reverse of what it did in 2019 this year, with Gaudreau, Backlund and Mangiapane finding traction at the right time.

This bodes well if they line up a Pacific opponent in april.

The issue that needs to be sorted before then is their game at home. They need to find a way to bring the same poise they have found on the road.

Starts with the goaltending i think. They've given up untimely goals early in home games.

R0taryRocket
02-26-2020, 04:43 PM

I disagree. I think history, stories, symbols (organizational culture) transcends the current dressing room and has an impact on success. Not to say the Flames and their current core can't redefine this moving forward.

DJones
02-26-2020, 04:49 PM
I think this is drastically overblown and was more of a microcosm of the bigger fact: The Flames simply didn't compete hard enough and were unable to raise their level of play when another team did.

It will be no different this year, if they do get in, unless of course the same players that faltered are now able to step up.

Two months of meaningful games will help that.

Enoch Root
02-26-2020, 04:51 PM
12 months ago, the Blues were the most inept team in the NHL, with 52 cupless years as their historical burden.

Didn't seem to cause them much grief during last year's cup run, though.

blankall
02-26-2020, 04:58 PM
12 months ago, the Blues were the most inept team in the NHL, with 52 cupless years as their historical burden.

Didn't seem to cause them much grief during last year's cup run, though.

Exactly. The Blues were a habitually underachieving franchise. Then they put it all together and crossed that thin line between playoff losers and Stanley Cup champions.

The line between winners and losers in the NHL is very thin. Anything can happen once the Flames are in the playoffs. I'd rather see them come in hot after facing adversity than coast in, like last year.

midniteowl
02-26-2020, 05:27 PM
Exactly. The Blues were a habitually underachieving franchise. Then they put it all together and crossed that thin line between playoff losers and Stanley Cup champions.

The line between winners and losers in the NHL is very thin. Anything can happen once the Flames are in the playoffs. I'd rather see them come in hot after facing adversity than coast in, like last year.

That's what happened to the Blues, weren't they last in the league at all star break? Their goalie got extremely hot and just went all the way.

DazzlinDino
02-26-2020, 05:32 PM
The Flames just need to win a playoff round to gain momentum. We have two goaltenders that we can switch off from if one does not play well in the postseason. And before anyone says that isn't a recipe for success, see Pittsburgh. Goalies can win you games.

I know that our top 6 isn't producing as well as they did in the previous year, but to my eye test it looks like most of them have been playing some great two way play, namely Gaudreau. If we get the post-AS break Gaudreau who is playing on both sides of the ice, then we are going to have a legitimate shot. I do agree with the poster above stating that our top 6 does need to produce points in the playoffs if we want to have any kind of success. Can't be relying on Sam Bennett to be our leading scorer.

You might be on to something. It might be by design but he (Gaudreau) may have been asked to step back and be more a part of the team this season. We don't see him trying to do too much but come playoff time I bet they will start to ramp it up. Also the team doesn't seem as interested in finishing first over all, it might be part of the plan that they are in the thick of things as the season winds down. That doesn't mean they won't challenge for first but they want to be peaking and firing on all cylinders come playoff time.

Crown Royal
02-26-2020, 08:02 PM
I saw a team that lost momentum and confidence late last year. Because of that they couldn't adjust to a Colorado push from game 2 onward.

I see a team that looks on the verge of doing the reverse of what it did in 2019 this year, with Gaudreau, Backlund and Mangiapane finding traction at the right time.

This bodes well if they line up a Pacific opponent in april.

The issue that needs to be sorted before then is their game at home. They need to find a way to bring the same poise they have found on the road.

Starts with the goaltending i think. They've given up untimely goals early in home games.I agree with this. To be honest I am more concerned about our goaltending and defense than our offense, being 18th in goals against per game (20th since Ward took over behind the bench) is simply not going to be good enough. I'm also more concerned with our PK than PP as our PP has been top 5 since Ward took over but the PK is 16th and under 80%.