PDA

View Full Version : [Trade] Van acquires Louis Domingue. Markstrom may have knee issues.

sureLoss
02-24-2020, 01:28 PM
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Goalie Zane McIntyre going from VAN to NJ for Louis Domingue.

Patrick Johnston @risingaction
Source tells me Canucks trading for Louis Domingue is because of concerns over a knee problem for Jacob Markstrom

agulati
02-24-2020, 01:29 PM
Get some goaltending depth. Didn’t Domingue clear waivers recently?

Erick Estrada
02-24-2020, 01:34 PM
Markstrom is the only reason the Canucks hold a playoff spot. This has to be terrifying for the organization given the moves they have made this season as 960 is speculating that he could be out indefinitely.

tkflames
02-24-2020, 01:34 PM
This could be the biggest news of the day for the pacific...sounds like an MRI today on markstrom went poorly...

dino7c
02-24-2020, 01:35 PM
Lol no 1st or 2nd

dash_pinched
02-24-2020, 01:38 PM
This could be the biggest news of the day for the pacific...sounds like an MRI today on markstrom went poorly...

Torn meniscus.

Johnny Makarov
02-24-2020, 01:47 PM
There is no way the Canucks make the playoffs without Markstrom. This is his one soul selling season to make the playoffs for the Canucks, like Talbot that year with the Oilers.

d_phaneuf
02-24-2020, 01:47 PM
Torn meniscus.

Uh where you seeing that?

MrMike
02-24-2020, 01:48 PM
There is no way the Canucks make the playoffs without Markstrom. This is his one soul selling season to make the playoffs for the Canucks, like Talbot that year with the Oilers.

If this is true I think the Flames easily take their spot in the playoffs. Hate to hope for an injury but it would help us big.

Zach
02-24-2020, 01:49 PM
Torn meniscus.

source?

Zach
02-24-2020, 01:51 PM

Canucks need 20 pts realistically out of the 21 games left. Sit Markstrom for 4-6 weeks and it's possible.

Johnny Makarov
02-24-2020, 01:52 PM
If this is true I think the Flames easily take their spot in the playoffs. Hate to hope for an injury but it would help us big.

Flames are going to make regardless. The only bad thing is that this might put the Oilers in.

Hey Connor, It's Mess
02-24-2020, 01:52 PM
Stupid Canucks.

Blaster86
02-24-2020, 01:53 PM
Markstrom is the only reason the Canucks hold a playoff spot. This has to be terrifying for the organization given the moves they have made this season as 960 is speculating that he could be out indefinitely.

Markstrom has been phenomenal. Demko has played less and has also been phenomenal.

My guess? Canucks goaltending doesn't miss a beat.

Edit - Province is reporting it's a torn meniscus. Nothing on severity or when he happened. Some speculation it was when he got bowled over in the Minnesota game. So that means he possibly played then Boston game with it.

Domingue makes sense, especially if this is a minor issue. Means we don't have to bring DiPietro up, who is currently the starter down in Utica and playing well. Domingue will still be waiver eligible if Markstrom is back quickly, allowing him to be sent down and play a back-up role to DiPietro after Richard Bachman went back to Europe.

Torture
02-24-2020, 01:53 PM
Good thing they went out and got Toffoli though.....right?

Textcritic
02-24-2020, 01:56 PM
Markstrom has been phenomenal. Demko has played less and has also been phenomenal.

My guess? Canucks goaltending doesn't miss a beat...
Nope. They're toast.

Erick Estrada
02-24-2020, 02:01 PM

I admit to not watching as many Canucks games as you but looking at the stats Demko's numbers look like below average backup stats and clearly below Markstrom. Not sure how many teams could lose their MVP and not miss a beat but I suppose we will soon find out.

Mike F
02-24-2020, 02:01 PM

Markstrom is 2.75 GAA and .918 sv%, and better than that as of late.
Demko is 3.03 GAA and 9.05 sv%, and has only been played twice in the Canucks las 11, losing 5-1 to the Ducks and 4-3(so) to the Hurricanes.

So don't pretend like there won't be a big step back if Markstrom is hurt

Blaster86
02-24-2020, 02:02 PM
I admit to not watching as many Canucks games as you but looking at the stats Demko's numbers look like below average backup stats and clearly below Markstrom.

Markstrom's stats also don't look like like that of a Vezina candidate, but when you watch games it becomes quite clear that he should be.

Markstrom is 2.75 GAA and .918 sv%, and better than that as of late.
Demko is 3.03 GAA and 9.05 sv%, and has only been played twice in the Canucks las 11, losing 5-1 to the Ducks and 4-3(so) to the Hurricanes.

So don't pretend like there won't be a big step back if Markstrom is hurt

With extended games here, we will see those Demko numbers improve. I'd put money on that.

Red_Baron
02-24-2020, 02:16 PM
If he gets surgery to fix it this week, he could very well be back by St. Patrick's Day.

I was down for 2 weeks after I had a meniscus repair, started rehab on day 4 after the surgery. I wouldn't dance on the grave of the canuck's playoff hopes just yet.

Blaster86
02-24-2020, 02:18 PM
Being sent home today, but early reports are 3 - 4 weeks.

dash_pinched
02-24-2020, 02:25 PM
uh where you seeing that?

Hockey
02-24-2020, 07:05 PM
I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little concerned. But I think Demko will be fine and Canucks still make the playoffs.

Zulu29
02-24-2020, 07:19 PM

Edit - Province is reporting it's a torn meniscus. Nothing on severity or when he happened. Some speculation it was when he got bowled over in the Minnesota game. So that means he possibly played then Boston game with it.

Domingue makes sense, especially if this is a minor issue. Means we don't have to bring DiPietro up, who is currently the starter down in Utica and playing well. Domingue will still be waiver eligible if Markstrom is back quickly, allowing him to be sent down and play a back-up role to DiPietro after Richard Bachman went back to Europe.

Markstrom’s lights out play has hidden a lot of the Canucks warts. You guys are screwed.

agulati
02-24-2020, 07:20 PM
Him missing 3-4 weeks is going to be a major loss for the Canucks. Demko will have to sink or swim. Domingue doesn’t have the greatest stat line this year either.

Barca
02-24-2020, 07:27 PM
If he gets surgery to fix it this week, he could very well be back by St. Patrick's Day.

I was down for 2 weeks after I had a meniscus repair, started rehab on day 4 after the surgery. I wouldn't dance on the grave of the canuck's playoff hopes just yet.

exactly... the Oil lost McDavid and Klefbom and survived.

still have Demko who now has a chance to shine and the Canucks have a lot of fire power to score themselves out of trouble.

interesting that his return timeline is similar to Boeser's.

the Canucks could enter the playoffs with a rested Marky and Boeser.

Zulu29
02-24-2020, 07:28 PM
exactly... the Oil lost McDavid and Klefbom and survived.

still have Demko who now has a chance to crap the bed and the Canucks have a lot of fire power to score themselves out of trouble.

interesting that his return timeline is similar to Boeser's.

the Canucks could enter the playoffs with a rested Marky and Boeser.

Fyp

Dion
02-24-2020, 07:30 PM
Him missing 3-4 weeks is going to be a major loss for the Canucks. Demko will have to sink or swim. Domingue doesn’t have the greatest stat line this year either.

https://i.imgur.com/ySdmZH5.jpg

GioforPM
02-24-2020, 08:01 PM
Missing your MVP goalie is a lot different than missing your MVP forward.

Beninho
02-24-2020, 09:36 PM
So many Canuck fans in here, gross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dino7c
02-24-2020, 09:42 PM
So many Canuck fans in here, gross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wait until the draft when they don't have a 1st or 2nd or a cup (obviously)

blender
02-24-2020, 10:15 PM
I watch a fair bit of Canucks hockey and I'd say Demko has the skills to get the job done, but he is very young and an NHL playoff race is a real test. The challenge is mental as much as physical.

powderjunkie
02-24-2020, 10:15 PM
Canucks will probably need to extend Markstrom to get him to come back at anything less than 110% condition. Since it's a relatively minor injury, Markstrom could be walking into UFA on a high note like George Costanza leaving a meeting...especially if the Canucks crumble without him.

Johnny Makarov
03-05-2020, 08:23 AM
Markstrom's stats also don't look like like that of a Vezina candidate, but when you watch games it becomes quite clear that he should be.

With extended games here, we will see those Demko numbers improve. I'd put money on that.

How much money? ouch.

Jason14h
03-05-2020, 08:36 AM
Markstrom making bank on the IR

Flash Walken
03-05-2020, 08:41 AM
Just wait until the draft when they don't have a 1st or 2nd or a cup (obviously)

Glass houses etc.

https://i.imgur.com/uByL0NO.png

Old Yeller
03-05-2020, 08:50 AM

Guess again!

Jiri Hrdina
03-05-2020, 08:52 AM
Glass houses etc.

https://i.imgur.com/uByL0NO.png

I would suggest that's why people are making the point - because Flames fans know it all too well.
So not really glasses houses, but more informed opinion.

Moneyhands23
03-05-2020, 09:05 AM
I would suggest that one or two of those drafted players may surprise you in the futre.

djsFlames
03-05-2020, 11:26 AM
Pettersen and Zav look like steals.

Round 6> is the Flames' new 4th round.

The Yen Man
03-05-2020, 12:15 PM

Don't forget the Mangiapane, who was also drafted in the 6th round. Flames have been pretty good with the late round picks the last few years.

But I guess for every Mange, there's a Hunter Smith. :bag:

Moneyhands23
03-05-2020, 01:06 PM

With how Mangiapani is looking 6th round looks more like 2nd round! ;)

Textcritic
03-05-2020, 01:16 PM
Don't forget the Mangiapane, who was also drafted in the 6th round. Flames have been pretty good with the late round picks the last few years.

But I guess for every Mange, there's a Hunter Smith. :bag:
There hasn't been one of those in a while. Smith was drafted six years ago.

icecube
03-05-2020, 01:18 PM
There hasn't been one of those in a while. Smith was drafted six years ago.

Smith big BIG = GOOD

Did I do that right?