PDA

View Full Version : What do you want the Flames to do at the Deadline?

bigrangy
02-23-2020, 08:33 PM
Inspired by a post in the GDT:

Way I look at it is this could go 4 ways.

Win and Tre buys at deadline - everyone on here is mad.
Lose and Tre sells at deadline - everyone on here is mad.
Win and Tre sells at deadline - everyone on here is mad.
Lose and Tre buys at deadline - everyone on here is mad.

Sure glad I'm not a GM Hahaha.

They got the win out of the way, but it still only leaves two options, either everyone is mad, or everyone is mad.

But I don't think one can really be mad if the team does what you want, so here's your chance to earn your right to be mad tomorrow.

Do you want the Flames to:

Go All-in: trade the 1st, trade Pelletier, trade everyone to make a run this year!

Buy: make some smaller moves, up to the second tier propsects (i.e. Zavgorodniy, MEP, your favorite goalie) to pick up a rental that makes sense

Stand Pat: keep the UFAs, maybe add a small depth piece with a 4th or similar

Sell: Move one or both of Brodie/Hamonic, move some depth for some future assets

Blow It UP!: Move a core piece in a hockey/futures deal, ship the UFAs for whatever you can get and hand the reins to the kids

topfiverecords
02-23-2020, 08:33 PM
I want the Flames to make everyone on here mad.

Textcritic
02-23-2020, 08:34 PM
It has been such a confusing year that I don't even know. Whatever happens, I just want them to be smart about it.

keenan87
02-23-2020, 08:35 PM
Sell the free agents. Then do a big re-tool in the off-season.

Roof-Daddy
02-23-2020, 08:36 PM
A good hockey trade that shakes up the core and sell everything they can for as many 2020 picks as they can get.

Dion
02-23-2020, 08:36 PM
Do a hockey trade that shakes up the core. Tre has to get good return for this to work.

TheScorpion
02-23-2020, 08:37 PM
Trade for Sidney Crosby. Just kidding. I hope they go get a top-six forward from somewhere. Fleece the Leafs.

bigrangy
02-23-2020, 08:37 PM
Personally, I still trust that management will make a call and it will be the right one, this group still has too much good will for me to doubt them.

If I was running it, I would certainly be going with Sell. I love Brodie and I would certainly aim to re-sign him in the summer, but this team isn't going anywhere with or without him (and Hamonic) so it's time to get some assets to help for the next push.

(Also, how do I make this a poll)

GranteedEV
02-23-2020, 08:39 PM
Sell these UFAS:
Stone
Hamonic

keep these UFAs:
Brodie
Talbot

call up:
czarnik

acquire:
a RHS Dman who can run a PP (Vatanen?)
a RHS RW who's better than Tobias Rieder for the 4th line

and publically say they still believe this is a playoff team. That will leave (with Gio/Valimaki injured)

Hanifin-Andersson
Kylington-Brodie
Davidson-(Vatanen)
Yelesin

as our blueline. See what you have. Evaluate these guys. Extend the acquisition too.

Canadianman
02-23-2020, 08:40 PM
Sell

Icon
02-23-2020, 08:40 PM
Full on sell, wholesale, get picks & prospects from whoever is willing. Odds are with that approach it realistically only means like 3 or 4 guys traded by the time you wheel and deal.

Even with some pieces shipped out, the playoff race is so close they might get in anyway.... But that's not the point, restructure the clearly not built well enough group into something better.

All that said, I'll be just as excited to cheer for whatever they add tomorrow instead.

LoL

tvp2003
02-23-2020, 08:42 PM
I’ll be mad if they go all in. This team’s not good enough to make a real run.

I’ll be mad if they buy, our prospect cupboard is thin as it is and we need to keep our draft picks.

I’ll be mad if they stand pat, because the division is wide open and the right player could really help our final push.

I’ll be mad if we sell because moving a piece like Brodie will basically mean we’ll miss the playoffs and this whole season was a waste.

I’ll be mad if we blow it up because we have a good core signed to good contracts but keep bringing in lower tier coaches who can’t get them to play consistent hockey.

MAD! :grrr:

1qqaaz
02-23-2020, 08:42 PM
I want them to sell, but I know they wont, so I'm hoping for a hockey trade.

Worst outcome would be nothing IMO.

Sandman
02-23-2020, 08:43 PM
I would like to feel the euphoria of aquiring an exciting young star player, without giving up any huge pieces. Is that so wrong?

Reggie Dunlop
02-23-2020, 08:46 PM
Is there an ex-Flame Treliving can bring back? That's always been the perennial deadline ask.

JohnnyHockey
02-23-2020, 08:46 PM
If they don't sell Brodie I think it is a huge mistake by management. There has been a long period of time that he has been untradeable and or worthless on the open market, until now. With the price tag of other Dmen that have moved in the past couple weeks, he should fetch a fairly decent return. I see very little benefit to keeping him on this roster at this stage even with the injuries, unless they're confident he resigns but I imagine that would have been done by now if it was the plan.

GranteedEV
02-23-2020, 08:47 PM
Is there an ex-Flame Treliving can bring back? That's always been the perennial deadline ask.

Curtis Lazar :w00t:

dammage79
02-23-2020, 08:48 PM
Trade whatever expiring assets and or pieces you dont intend to keep moving forward.

Bring in options while keeping the drive alive.

I can see Treliving making a major impact tomorrow.

But what I think happens is usually the opposite most of the time so probably a trade for a 4th liner.

shadowlord
02-23-2020, 08:49 PM
Curtis Lazar :w00t:I'll see your Curtis Lazar and raise you one Michael Frolik.

N-E-B
Hockey is supposed to be fun. Trades are fun. I would like them to do something. Preferably add.

djsFlames
I’ll be mad if they go all in. This team’s not good enough to make a real run.

I’ll be mad if they buy, our prospect cupboard is thin as it is and we need to keep our draft picks.

I’ll be mad if they stand pat, because the division is wide open and the right player could really help our final push.

I’ll be mad if we sell because moving a piece like Brodie will basically mean we’ll miss the playoffs and this whole season was a waste.

I’ll be mad if we blow it up because we have a good core signed to good contracts but keep bringing in lower tier coaches who can’t get them to play consistent hockey.

MAD! :grrr:

Sounds like you definitely won't be mad tomorrow.

Sandman
02-23-2020, 08:50 PM

Olli Jokinen?

Robo
02-23-2020, 08:51 PM
I dont care if it is buy or sell as long as it isn't nothing

Crown Royal
02-23-2020, 08:53 PM
As long as we don't sell and don't trade our first for a rental and I'll be content.

Johnhitbox
02-23-2020, 08:54 PM
As long as we don't sell and don't trade our first for a rental and I'll be content.

I don’t think he’s gonna try that anymore. I’d anything, trade away a top line core player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OmegaV4
02-23-2020, 08:54 PM
Something.

Burning Beard
02-23-2020, 08:56 PM
I hope they make an impactful hockey trade for a core piece that is a better fit with this group. Sounds easy, right?

Looch City
02-23-2020, 09:00 PM
Here is what will happen:

Nothing.

Then the next day we'll hear about Tre's trades lost in the "huge back log queue".

djsFlames
02-23-2020, 09:01 PM
https://pics.ballmemes.com/cmon-do-something-me-irl-35871388.png

Mr.Coffee
02-23-2020, 09:01 PM
Can someone please explain what a “hockey” trade is?

As opposed to some sort of other trade I guess? Does it just mean no draft picks? Sorry probably a stupid question but not as convinced the question is as stupid as the expression.

kukkudo
02-23-2020, 09:03 PM
Buy and sell. Buy if someone like Saad can be grabbed for a 2021 first and Jankowski. Sell Stone, Hamonic if can, Talbot if can get second.

Brodie is the question mark if he is not returning than shop him to someone who will overpay big.

Roof-Daddy
02-23-2020, 09:06 PM

As opposed to some sort of other trade I guess? Does it just mean no draft picks? Sorry probably a stupid question but not as convinced the question is as stupid as the expression.

NHL players for NHL players that shakes up the participating teams and gives them something they need more of while giving up something they may have too much of.

Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen is an example.

Azhouse
02-23-2020, 09:07 PM
Trade one of the UFA d-men and get a scoring forward (not necessarily in the same transaction) .

Jiri Hrdina
02-23-2020, 09:09 PM

Paul Byron

dino7c
02-23-2020, 09:10 PM
Improve the team

powderjunkie
02-23-2020, 09:11 PM

Paul Byron would bring a much needed element...we don't have nearly enough small LHS.

I think both teams are trying to improve within roughly the same time frame. Weber for Subban. Jones for Johansen. Hall for Larsson. Kadri for Barrie might be a good multi-player example.

As opposed to cap dumps, or one team seeking futures.

Textcritic
02-23-2020, 09:12 PM
If they don't sell Brodie I think it is a huge mistake by management. There has been a long period of time that he has been untradeable and or worthless on the open market, until now...
Well, this is just patently false.

Vinny01
02-23-2020, 09:13 PM
I want the roster to be shaken up a little bit. I want Treliving to keep his good trade record intact and get something done but stick to his valuation.

It just doesn’t feel like this team will flip a switch at any point between now and the playoffs. If they make it I have a hard time seeing a deep run and there is a legit chance they miss. This team needs some change there needs to be something done if they want to really try and turn a corner this season. From all the insider talk it sure seems like a lot is in the works. I will hate to hear more about how close we were on player X or player Y but it couldn’t get done.

PaperBagger'14
02-23-2020, 09:14 PM
I want them to make a statement, figure out what this team needs. You either moderately buy or sell (preferably sell) but just make up your damn mind Tre.

iamca
02-23-2020, 09:19 PM
I would like to see a few moves involving players I have heard of before, so no fringe 7 defenseman and another plug for our 4th line.

Tre cannot fix what’s wrong with this team tomorrow, however he can make more meh moves.

This team needs a top six forward.

This team needs more speed across the lineup.

This team needs more grit/hard hitting/tough to play against players.

This team needs an up and coming true number 1 goaltender.

Not going to happen at the trade deadline, but you could position the team to get better tomorrow by potentially unloading high on a UFA or couple someone that another team needs for a high draft pick.

We’ll see in a bit...

Canada 02
02-23-2020, 09:21 PM
target Trochek, Dumba, Kapanen, Reinhart, or Ristolainen in hockey trades. Will get one

dino7c
02-23-2020, 09:23 PM
Team traded Frolik to clear up cap space...don't pull a Feaster

Saint Troy
02-23-2020, 09:27 PM

Yep, especially after he went full Feaster and called his shot saying he would use it.

zamler
02-23-2020, 09:28 PM
Nothing.

oldschoolcalgary
02-23-2020, 09:30 PM
i think calgary should sell, however, I expect them to do nothing.

I mean if there is a hockey trade out there, like for Trochek, you'd have to pull the trigger... trading picks for a rental would be a bad decision imho

troutman
02-23-2020, 09:31 PM
Accumulate draft picks. Always.

Crown Royal
02-23-2020, 09:32 PM

I would consider a hockey trade one that is built around NHL talent rather than built around picks and prospects. That's not to say picks and prospects can't be in a hockey trade, but they would be a sweetener, rather than the main course.

The rumored Brodie/Kadri trade would have been a good example of a hockey trade.

Scroopy Noopers
02-23-2020, 09:33 PM
Make it happenen, get Kapenen.

oldschoolcalgary
02-23-2020, 09:35 PM
I would consider a hockey trade one that is built around NHL talent rather than built around picks and prospects. That's not to say picks and prospects can't be in a hockey trade, but they would be a sweetener, rather than the main course.

The rumored Brodie/Kadri trade would have been a good example of a hockey trade.

hanifin + Lindholm for Hamilton, Ferland + Fox was a very good hockey trade too...

Crown Royal
02-23-2020, 09:36 PM
hanifin + Lindholm for Hamilton, Ferland + Fox was a very good hockey trade too...Another great example as Fox was used as a sweetener in that deal.

VladtheImpaler
02-23-2020, 09:36 PM
Trade a mid/low pick for some RW depth. Mikael Frolik seems like the perfect candidate. Added bonus - no adjustment period.

GullFoss
02-23-2020, 09:38 PM
If Tre can get a first for Hamonic, I'd say make that trade.

Also, I would blow up the farm for Kopitar. The guy is still a beast and the flames can make that contract fit. He solves the Franchise Center problem and gives the flames amazing depth. I would assume Janko (and a bunch of picks and prospects) goes back the other way. The cap savings from trading Hamonic, frolik and Janko would be ~$8m so king's would have to retain a bit to make it work, but going into the playoffs with Kopitar, Monahan, Backlund and Ryan would be cup contending stuff.

Flame would have to pay a King's Ransom, but at some point Tre may have to pull something like this off for the flames to become true contenders. Fortune favors the bold

heep223
02-23-2020, 09:41 PM
Buy. Go for it.

djsFlames
02-23-2020, 09:44 PM
Make it happenen, get Kapenen.

For sure, I'd like that. Thought he was the least embarrassing player vs the Ayres Canes last night too.

TheRealPepman
02-23-2020, 09:49 PM
Buy baby. Maybe that will make Calgary elite again.

Will support whatever happens at the end of tomorrow.

ForeverFlameFan
02-23-2020, 09:50 PM
They can do whatever, as long as the 2020 1st round pick stays within the organization.

GranteedEV
02-23-2020, 09:53 PM
Lucic for Okposo. Do it Brad.

VANFLAMESFAN
02-23-2020, 10:01 PM
I get those who have the desire to buy.

I get those who have the the desire to stand pat or slightly tinker for some depth.

I just don’t get those who want to sell sell sell. I’m not blind to the teams struggles and how they’re likely not to make a run but to give up at this point when they have a decent shot to make playoffs Is beyond me. They’re waking up tomorrow in a playoff spot. They’re waking up Tuesday in a playoff spot but people want to make the team worse by selling?

They’re not selling off assets that will net first round picks or top tier game changing prospects. They’re just not at this point. So the ones to sell tomorrow are gonna get you mid level assets at best. Are those mid level assets more valuable than a shot at the playoffs? With the weak ass pacific division, do you not want to see what they can do? Do you not remember how much April sucks when your team is not in the mix? Playoffs are so much fun, the anticipation for each game is so much better than the excitement around a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Just don’t get the people who want to sell sell sell tomorrow. Not saying they’re wrong, and I’m right. Just saying I don’t get having the sentiment of throwing in the towel on a season that is clearly not over.

Dragomir
02-23-2020, 10:06 PM
Do nothing please

Scroopy Noopers
02-23-2020, 10:08 PM
For sure, I'd like that. Thought he was the least embarrassing player vs the Ayres Canes last night too.

So much speed and he’s gritty and physical. Could easily slot on the top line.

FlamesAddiction
02-23-2020, 10:08 PM
No rentals unless they are bargain prices.

Don't be sellers, unless it is for a massive over-payment.

Try to make a significant hockey trade if there is one to be made. This team has needed a shake-up ever since the end of April 2019. Don't make it in the hopes of salvaging this season, but as a step to move forward in general.

If there is no hockey deal (i.e. not a rental deal), then stand pat. I am fine with that.

Eric Vail
02-23-2020, 10:10 PM
These are the kinds of trades I like:

Bob McMillan and Don Lever for Lanny McDonald.

Gino Cavallini, Eddy Beers and Charles Bourgeois for Joey Mullen, Rik Wilson and Terry Johnson.

Steve Konroyd and Richard Kromm for John Tonelli.

Mike Bullard, Craig Coxe and Tim Corkery for Steve Bozek, Mike Dark, Doug Gilmour and Mark Hunter.

I just want a win. Trade some of our players for someone else's better players, like Cliff Fletcher would.

Samonadreau
02-23-2020, 10:11 PM

Worst case they still got a 4th out of it. Already a win.

Nabber
02-23-2020, 10:13 PM
I'd like to sell Hamonic if it's a pretty good return. Use the assets from that trade, or ideally a less equivalent to acquire a RHS RW/C to play top 6. Budget shop for a 4th line RW'er also, a speedy grinder.

browna
02-23-2020, 10:14 PM

Gino Cavallini, Eddy Beers and Charles Bourgeois for Joey Mullen, Rik Wilson and Terry Johnson.

Mike Bullard, Craig Coxe and Tim Corkery for Steve Bozek, Mike Dark, Doug Gilmour and Mark Hunter.

I just want a win. Trade some of our players for someone else's better players, like Cliff Fletcher would.

When there was no salary cap, and contract terms and player salaries were not widely known, and when drafting and worrying about draft picks really was not much more than an after thought for NHL teams and thus not as valuable, you could do those deals.

bubbsy
02-23-2020, 10:24 PM
At best, I'd like to see hamonic shipped out.

At worst, do nothing.

I see no point in making a move just to make a move (Tatar, namekstinov, etc).

Unfortunately I believe that treliving does make a move. He'll be feeling the heat for doing nothing of substance to improve the team, from last deadline, the entire offseason and now this deadline.

transplant99
02-23-2020, 10:26 PM
Swing for the fences or do nothing at all.

Enough of the middling/low level "depth".

Thats why it comes down to a "hockey trade".

Beatle17
02-23-2020, 10:27 PM
At best, I'd like to see hamonic shipped out.

At worst, do nothing.

I see no point in making a move just to make a move (Tatar, namekstinov, etc).

Unfortunately I believe that treliving does make a move. He'll be feeling the heat for doing nothing of substance to improve the team, from last deadline, the entire offseason and now this deadline.

And yet the owners of the team gave him a new contract, you know the ones, the guys you say are too cheap to pay a coach.

Only thing I would like to see is move Gaudreau out and trade Hamonic for picks.

Aarongavey
02-23-2020, 10:32 PM
Sell and get future assets so they have more trading chips this summer. If you are on an expiring contract you should be available and sold off.

mikephoen
02-23-2020, 10:36 PM
I'm of two minds on this.

On the one hand, I've lost all confidence in this core and this rebuild. Prices seem high this deadline, so I would blow it all up and make massive deals, preparing for either a complete ground up rebuild, or at least a very heavy retooling for 2020/21.

Alternatively... the Pacific is as bad as it ever will be. The path to the conference finals might never be easier. And once you're in the conference finals, all it takes is momentum, or a goalie getting hot, or injuries/bad luck on the other side, and you can be in the cup final where anything can happen. Pushing all in with whatever it takes to add to the top 6, with a right shot RW or an upgrade at Centre. And maybe an upgrade on defence or another right shot RW.

Doing nothing or almost nothing seems like the worst plan. Losing both Brodie and Hamonic in the summer for nothing, while another year ticks off the value contracts of Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm and Tkachuk and Gio nears the end of his time as a top pairing Dman, seems really weak. It's just accepting mediocrity as good enough.

Calgary4LIfe
02-23-2020, 10:57 PM
I think trading Hamonic for anything right now is prudent. Yes he is hurt, but I am sure there is a team that will take him on if the price is right (well, hopefully anyway). The reason I want this done is how terrible he looked against the Avs last playoffs, and especially because I don't want Treliving to re-sign him, especially for a significant raise with term. I see him as a 3rd pairing player - or at least a player that will be on the third pairing within the next couple of seasons.

I really want Brodie re-signed. Badly. However, if his intention is in fact to move to a warmer climate (something I can respect - family always comes first), then I would move him this deadline for someone else. I wouldn't sell on him unless necessary, but Treliving just has to get something for him.

The only thing I really hope for is no rentals at all - not even for 6th and 7th round picks. I especially don't want that first to be traded for anything - well, unless another team wants to be absolutely stupid with the return on the 1st.

Tough time. If the Flames were 4 or 5 points back from the last wildcard spot, I would be hoping that they sell. I think a lot of what ails this team is coaching, and thus I don't necessarily prescribe to the notion that this team needs to be 'blown up', but there are definite holes on this roster, and even if there wasn't, a team should always look to upgrade whenever possible.

I am just really curious what happens tomorrow, and what ends up happening through the off-season. No idea if Treliving is going to get a new coach or not, or if (or how much) he is going to change the core up. Fascinating times ahead.

Edit: People state that the Pacific is wide-open this year, but I also think that this Flames team is very 'wide open' as well. I am not confident that they would enter the playoffs and actually win a round against anyone they match up against, but I also think they could beat any team in the playoffs at the same time if they get hot. They are so inconsistent. The worst case for me is being buyers, entering the playoffs and matching up against another Pacific team, and then losing. I am not so sure that wouldn't happen... that's just how inconsistent this team seems to be on any given night.

bubbsy
02-23-2020, 11:02 PM
No way treliving doesn't do something tomorrow.

Flames are the only team in the Pacific playoff picture who have done nothing to improve this deadline ( well in a whole calendar year, but who's keeping track...)

GioforPM
02-23-2020, 11:03 PM
Those who want Hamonic traded - I think you get a no more than a 4th for him now, given his injury.

bubbsy
02-23-2020, 11:05 PM
those who want hamonic traded - i think you get a no more than a 4th for him now, given his injury.

sold!

browna
02-23-2020, 11:11 PM
I’d love the Flames to be active and go for it. Not at all costs but at a cost that will make some people here scream from the rooftops...but that overreaction will happen here anyways no matter what happens tomorrow, and it will be many of the same crew screaming in any event as well.

The division stinks, and the conference isn’t stellar, and by the time you may get to those teams outside the division, momentum and injuries take over in the playoffs. Go on a 3 or 4 game heater here and you’re in good shape...roster has underperformed, give it a jolt and a boost for them to refocus and maybe re-energize and see where that takes them.

GioforPM
02-23-2020, 11:12 PM
sold!

I know you think it’s addition by subtraction, and I disagree. But honestly, I think some people here still, think he’s going to get a second. Healthy, that would be the case. I think he’s a playoff maybe. So he’s getting token amount in a trade.

I would rather keep him and not extend if the Flames are making the POs. I’d much rather see him in the lineup than Stone.

GranteedEV
02-23-2020, 11:21 PM
I know you think it’s addition by subtraction, and I disagree.

I would rather keep him and not extend if the Flames are making the POs. I’d much rather see him in the lineup than Stone.

The question isn't if Hamonic's in the lineup over Stone. It's if Hamonic's in the top 4 over Andersson or Brodie. I have zero faith in this coaching staff to slot guys correctly. They're still slotting Stone incorrectly.

As long as the coaching staff has access to Stone or Hamonic, it's subtraction by addition. Ship em both off.

Freddy
02-23-2020, 11:25 PM
Sell Brodie for a kings ransom and acquire Athanasiou in a hockey trade (that doesn’t include Mangiapane, Rasmus, or Rittich).

TheScorpion
02-23-2020, 11:31 PM
For what it's worth, the Flames made exactly two trades in 2019:

Neal for Lucic
4th for Fantenberg

I wouldn't be going into tomorrow expecting much. Lately, Treliving is just not a very active GM when it comes to making trades.

Manhattanboy
02-23-2020, 11:48 PM
Make sure the fax machine is working properly.

FanIn80
02-23-2020, 11:53 PM
Monahan, Brodie, Prospect, 1st
Matthews

topfiverecords
02-23-2020, 11:54 PM
Keep Ken King off of any flights until 1:00pm.

Spinach
02-24-2020, 12:34 AM
Kapanen or Athanasiou would add some badly-needed speed up front. Unfortunately, as a LW, Athanasiou plays a position the Flames are already strong at.

Travis Konecny would be a nice add, though he would probably cost Gaudreau, particularly since Philly is in a playoff spot.

The Flames need an elite right-handed centre and/or a top-6 RH RW, along with D prospects. It's not likely they can add a very young D or an elite C, so it'll be interesting to see what Treliving does, if anything. A right-shot top-6 RW could be doable, but who knows. Bringing in an underwhelming depth player or two would be my guess.

Dion
02-24-2020, 01:16 AM
When there was no salary cap, and contract terms and player salaries were not widely known, and when drafting and worrying about draft picks really was not much more than an after thought for NHL teams and thus not as valuable, you could do those deals.

Fletcher wasn't afraid to shake up his team when he thought he could improve it. Just look at the Brett Hull trade to the Blues.

Caged Great
02-24-2020, 02:13 AM
Have the fortitude to maximize our assets.

If that means a hockey deal that sees Hanifin go for a forward, or Gaudreau go for something else, that's fine. I was ecstatic when the Hamilton+Ferland+Fox for Lindholm and Hanifin trade went down and if the Flames could pull another one off like that, that would be just fine by me.

I'd prefer at a minimum to sell off any pieces that are ufas to be.

Poe969
02-24-2020, 04:22 AM
I want the Flames to go for it, but by "it" I mean multiple draft picks. Sell the UFA's and trade away at least one guy who's under contract for at least next season. A hockey deal for futures would be great but I really only see that happening in the off season.

I've said it before, there's only a handful of guys on this team I wouldn't trade. Unfortunately I see them giving up their first only to not make the playoffs.

tkflames
02-24-2020, 05:32 AM
My guess: Palmeri + Vatanen for Bennett 1st and a 3rd.

What I want: no trades, just a coach.

cam_wmh
02-24-2020, 06:28 AM
Fletcher wasn't afraid to shake up his team when he thought he could improve it. Just look at the Brett Hull trade to the Blues.

I dunno if I’d call that a shakeup, as we had lots of firepower. What we didn’t was a backup, that could reduce Vernons load by 30 games.

That’s what helped secure the president trophy but more so, ensure Vernon wasn’t exhausted for the playoffs.

When I think of Fletcher shakeups, I think of dispatching Nilsson and Reinhart.

PeteMoss
02-24-2020, 07:25 AM
Flames have actually been above average since Ward took over in the fancy stats. Its interested how a bad start can taint everyone's view of a team.

https://i.imgur.com/3Cy8nxa.png

tkflames
02-24-2020, 07:31 AM
Flames have actually been above average since Ward took over in the fancy stats. Its interested how a bad start can taint everyone's view of a team.

https://i.imgur.com/3Cy8nxa.png

Looks to me like an average team that has been bouncing inconsistently around the mean. More inconsistent under Peter's, but still bouncing around. Never too high and never too low at 5v5. Maybe I am missing what you are trying to show...but to me this proves what many are saying. It's an average team that does not warrant a massive all in investment...

flambers
02-24-2020, 07:42 AM
"Buy".

I mean, the Flames should pursue a hockey trade to acquire a right winger

dammage79
02-24-2020, 07:44 AM

Assets with term traded for assets with term. That's the core of a hockey trade. Trading from strength to address weakness. Like the Lindh9lm trade.

BurningSteel
02-24-2020, 07:45 AM
Where's the sfa option?

dammage79
02-24-2020, 07:47 AM
I'm guessing we do a BIG deal with NJ or the Rangers today. Both teams have multiple assets the Flames would want.

My guess is we are going big. Very big.

Johnhitbox
02-24-2020, 07:51 AM
Anything at this point would be good

Nelson
02-24-2020, 07:53 AM
I picked sell. I would like to see if they can trade some depth (ex: Mark Jankowski) for some picks. The reason is that I think that the two strengths of this management group have been RFA re-signing and drafting. GMBT and co. have picked up strong players in the draft even in the later rounds. I want to see GMBT and co. with more picks.

Travis Munroe
02-24-2020, 07:53 AM
Trading Bennett would be a mistake. He is getting better with each game. Perhaps not the star we thought he may have been but he can be a very dominate 3rd liner with the ability to jump up if needed.

I prefer to see Rinaldo in the lineup over Jankowski any night. Rinaldo lays it on the line every shift and I imagine he would be just as good of a PK guy.

I am fascinated trying to find a way to pry Brady from Ottawa and know it would cost a lot but these are guys you can go into the playoffs with and win.

Flyers to Senators
Carter Hart
Nolan Patrick

Senators to Flames
Brady Tkachuk

Flames to Flyers
Gaudreau
Cam Talbot

It seems Nolan Patrick hasn't lived up to the hype but is still a very good player who would blend in with the rebuild.
Carter Hart helps solve the Sens goaltending issue.

Flyers get their coveted Gaudreau and a goalie who can fill the Carter Hart void.

Flames have to ride Rittich out, possibly another trade for a serviceable backup on a expiring contract.

CSharp
02-24-2020, 07:59 AM

Tre is a wizard, but Cliff Fletcher is the Grand Master. Makes Tre like an amateur. If Tre can pull a heist off in the 5 hours or so before the trading deadline, then I'd consider him in the ranks of Cliff Fletcher. Those were the good old days. It's pretty much a legend now, except the Flames seems to get legendary fleecing by the Leafs every time they deal with them.

madmike
02-24-2020, 08:02 AM
The Globe had a decent article today about how the Leafs real problem is the players just don't care. I feel like you could swap out the Leafs names with Flames players and the article would be exactly the same.

I really don't want the Flames to go into buy mode - the players don't deserve it. If the Flames are going to do anything it should be a trade that shakes up the core of the team. It's clear at this point that something needs to change with the team's culture.

Flame On
02-24-2020, 08:20 AM
Agreed with many, don't want them to do anything that tinkers around the edges of this team, who don't have the grit and gumption to do much of anything.

UKflames
02-24-2020, 08:26 AM
I would have liked a 'Sell & Buy' option in the poll.

So move out some of the UFA's from an asett managment point of view but also buying something that will be of use if there is a deal to be made. Does that make them buyers then, I don't know, but a bit of both for me.

GioforPM
02-24-2020, 08:39 AM
Tre is a wizard, but Cliff Fletcher is the Grand Master. Makes Tre like an amateur. If Tre can pull a heist off in the 5 hours or so before the trading deadline, then I'd consider him in the ranks of Cliff Fletcher. Those were the good old days. It's pretty much a legend now, except the Flames seems to get legendary fleecing by the Leafs every time they deal with them.

The Cap has a lot to say about trades now as well.

Funny though, those trades weren't obvious fleecings at the time. McMillan and Lever were good players and it looked like Lanny was drying up some. Beers was actually a pretty good scorer in the 2 years before the Mullen trade and was still only 25. Bourgeous was a decent Dman. Wilson and Johnson weren't really NHL calibre. Even Bullard was a 48 goal man (compared to Gilmour's 36) and then as soon as he was traded he started to fizzle out.

The Tonelli deal was similar to Lanny but really wasn't as much of a fleecing.
Tonelli was seen as having hit his peak (which was actually true). Konroyd was seen as a really good up and coming Dman. In hindsight, while everyone remembers Tonelli fondly because of the 1986 run, he actually had better years both before and after his time in Calgary.

FanIn80
02-24-2020, 08:42 AM
“Be better after the deadline than before the deadline.”

Classic_Sniper
02-24-2020, 08:49 AM
Flames need someone fast, hard, relentless and cheap. I feel like they've needed this all season long. You look at the way Ward wants this team to play, with pace, high battle level, hard on the forecheck and backcheck. Extra size wouldn't hurt either. Not a lot of players on this team seem to fit that bill.

So that's what I'd like to see. Hopefully he comes cheap, like a 4th round pick.

PeteMoss
02-24-2020, 09:21 AM
Looks to me like an average team that has been bouncing inconsistently around the mean. More inconsistent under Peter's, but still bouncing around. Never too high and never too low at 5v5. Maybe I am missing what you are trying to show...but to me this proves what many are saying. It's an average team that does not warrant a massive all in investment...

Here's a bunch of different teams on this twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/status/1231658818825838592

Flames are clearly off from the Bruins or Blues, but rest of them look worse or at best even with the Flames.

ThisIsAnOutrage
02-24-2020, 10:31 AM
Flames need someone fast, hard, relentless and cheap. I feel like they've needed this all season long. You look at the way Ward wants this team to play, with pace, high battle level, hard on the forecheck and backcheck. Extra size wouldn't hurt either. Not a lot of players on this team seem to fit that bill.

So that's what I'd like to see. Hopefully he comes cheap, like a 4th round pick.

So the Flames are looking for my ex?

Hi-Yo!