PDA

View Full Version : [PGT] Broons 4 Flams 3

Pages : [1] 2

zamler
02-21-2020, 09:29 PM
https://i.imgur.com/9JmRB3w.gif

JurassicTunga12
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/twobestfriendsplay/images/1/1b/Gem_Plant_Kick_Concrete_Jungle.gif/revision/latest?cb=20130916195453

Jaydee
not a good game for Tkachuk

dissentowner
02-21-2020, 09:30 PM

Much worse game for Monahan. He might as well have stayed home.

BoLevi
Why do we argue if its the players or the coaches?

It's clearly both.

Embarrassing.

AustinL_NHL
If we give up assets of any kind at the deadline just for the tiny hope of making the Playoffs...

Sell. Sell. Sell.

playmaker
Bergeron >>>>>>>>> Monahan

Good night

zamler
Monahan is the worst player in the league.

Voodooman
Difference between having an NHL caliber coach, and whatever this garbage fire of a joke the Flames have is. Boston plays a system, the Flames pray for rain.

Hire a coach. Do it now.

AC
When Chucky is off, he's one of our worst players with all his unnecessarily fancy passes to the other team. Terrible choices with the puck all night.

Felt like he and Hanifin killed the finally 1:30 by themselves.

Johnny had a great game, yet had 0 shots on 2 breakaways. There's the game right there unfortunately.

Johnhitbox
Time to sell. We know who has it and who doesn’t now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BoLevi
Who was the last 1C we had?

Dragomir
02-21-2020, 09:31 PM
Not even mad, I gained respect for this team.

JurassicTunga12
At least the Wild won.

Monahammer
Bergeron really abused Monahan tonight. That was some dark ####.

scobel
Did not mind how we played at all. The breakout was looking better with the forwards coming back deep. Had a really good push in the third. I hope the Flames make a few trades to help them as I feel this team is going to have great road trip. I will say they will win 4 of 5.

MisterJoji
At least the Oilers and Preds (loser point) lost. Seems every time we have a chance to gain ground we lose.

direwolf
02-21-2020, 09:32 PM
Really solid effort in the 3rd, but too little too late unfortunately. If only they hadn't pissed away their lead in the 1st period.

This win one/lose one crap ain't gonna get us to the post season. The team needs to find a way to string some wins together soon, or they're done.

Toonage
At least the Oil are losing.

Happy with the effort. This one doesn't bother me all that much. Lose to Detroit on Sunday? That might.

Elkyiv
Talbot looked asleep on the first 2

Flash Walken

i mean, he cant score 5 goals a game.

Considering the importance of the players out of the flames lineup, that was a good game

Jiggy_12
The last 90 seconds gave me a headache. No structure or gameplan, just 6 skaters moving around at random.

skcli
02-21-2020, 09:33 PM

Daymond Lankow

taxbuster
I just can't see this team going anywhere.

Waaaaayyyyy too much passing back.
Way to many guys standing still.
Decent off the rush - when they don't turn the puck over at the blue line.
Too little ability to win one-on-one board battles.

Sell please.

GioforPM
Boston is the worst team for Chuckie to try making those little back passes against - they turn the puck up ice so fast.

GranteedEV

Craig Conroy lol

MisterJoji
Talbot looked asleep on the first 2

They were unlucky bounces but I agree, his situational awareness was brutal. Back to Rittich on Sunday.

TBone290
Moral victories count for something this late in the season, right?
(Sarcasm)

shadowlord
Get well soon, Gio.

442scotty
02-21-2020, 09:34 PM
Flames gave up once the game was 3-2 then decided to try again with 10 minutes left. I know there were a lot of bad bounces but I think our goaltending still leaves a lot to be desired

Bend it like Bourgeois

If only there were a large meathead who contribute nothing else but was willing to fight for his team so Tkachuk could go back to being a skilled player.

bigrangy
One more game before the deadline. Hopefully we didn’t just see Brodie’s last game as a Flame. I really hope he can stick around.

Must win the next one.

N-E-B
Well that was a fun 3 1/2 minutes.

The other 56 1/2? Yikes.

taxbuster
The No Goods lost, so there's a precious little bit of (pointless?) help.

And SN picks two No Goods as stars 1&2. Sheesh.

Burning Beard

Lindholm

flamingred89
you score 3 goals in the first 4 minutes you win the game. Not if you’re this iteration of the Calgary Flames. Nothing positive about this outcome.

bax
Gaudreau was buzzing all night. That’s a positive. Don’t know what has happened to Monahan. Not confident at all

GioforPM
02-21-2020, 09:35 PM
Flames gave up once the game was 3-2 then decided to try again with 10 minutes left. I know there were a lot of bad bounces but I think our goaltending still leaves a lot to be desired

I think the Flames had the better of the play from the middle of the game onward. The first period was actually their worst.

N-E-B
The No Goods lost, so there's a precious little bit of (pointless?) help.

Honestly that makes me more angry. These are the games they need to win to make up ground. Pissed away a great opportunity tonight.

playmaker

The last true 1C was #25.
25 years ago...

dammage79
02-21-2020, 09:36 PM
Dont score 6 you lose. Weird .

skcli
Our transition game must be one of the worst in the league. Except Eat Bread and Backlund, other forwards are standing still at the blue line waiting for the puck. When they get the puck with no speed, a simple dump in and expect the smallest players to chase the puck. Almost a formula to killing the play.

Aarongavey
The Flames are building a team to compete to make the playoffs. The Bruins have a team to win in the playoffs. Seems obvious what the Flames need to do at the deadline.

Kovaz
I'm pretty done with having a 1C that I'm terrified to match up against any dangerous line. I think if any part of the core gets traded, he's the guy who needs to go.

Textcritic
Why do we argue if its the players or the coaches?

It's clearly both.

Embarrassing.
Losing by a single goal to the best team in the League is not embarrassing.

I didn't think Talbot played particularly well. It feels like a game the Flames should have won.

81MC
02-21-2020, 09:37 PM
I must be a total homer, I thought that was a pretty close game? Bruins had the edge for half of the first, otherwise I thought the flames played pretty well. Let’s not forget, Boston is looking like Cup favourites right now. Not sure the flames loooked anywhere near as bad as some make it sound.

Strange Brew
This team could use a little help.

GioforPM
i mean, he cant score 5 goals a game.

Considering the importance of the players out of the flames lineup, that was a good game

One goal would have made a difference. Or not making little back passes at the blue line that go the other way.

It was a good game all things considered.

ForeverFlameFan
On the bright side, the Lucic - Bennett - Dube line has been extremely effective. Big fan.

Saint Troy
At least the coil lost, but this team has no idea how to play with a lead. Rookie D pinching, D leading the rush up 3-1, first line centers losing battles. Only time this group had structure is when the Bruins decided to fall back and protect the lead. Par for the course this season.

bigpete
Maybe I just wasnt being very observant but did Lindholm even touch the puck tonight? I hardly remember hearing his name.

AustinL_NHL
02-21-2020, 09:38 PM
Not sure how anyone can consider a game where the Flames were out-shot 23-18, out-chanced 21-17, out-high danger chanced 9-5 and had an xGF% of 41.62% 5v5 a "good game" just because it was against the best team in the NHL.

I guess the positive to that is the majority of us are recognizing the Flames don't have even close to what it takes to make any noise in the Playoffs and are happy with poor play like this.

GioforPM
02-21-2020, 09:38 PM
Maybe I just wasnt being very observant but did Lindholm even touch the puck tonight? I hardly remember hearing his name.

I think he assisted on Gaudreau’s goal but otherwise, not as effective as usual.

Saint Troy
02-21-2020, 09:39 PM
When Chucky is off, he's one of our worst players with all his unnecessarily fancy passes to the other team. Terrible choices with the puck all night.

Johnny had a great game, yet had 0 shots on 2 breakaways. There's the game right there unfortunately.

Nonsense, he’s the only guy that consistently gives a F on this team.

Textcritic
02-21-2020, 09:39 PM

He had the only assist on Gaudreau's goal.

Flamenspiel
02-21-2020, 09:40 PM
Na, Flames were not that bad. They are missing their two best defencemen and the Bruins are a great team. Sam Bennett totally outclassed Ryan as a third line centre. That line almost singlehandedly brought the Flames back into it. I wonder what Ryan would be worth in a trade.

taxbuster
This team could use a little help.

This team needs more than a "little" help.

Give some credit for being without Gio and Hammer...but scoring? Or maybe even basic puck skills. Basic coaching, too.

calgaryred
I must be a total homer, I thought that was a pretty close game? Bruins had the edge for half of the first, otherwise I thought the flames played pretty well. Let’s not forget, Boston is looking like Cup favourites right now. Not sure the flames loooked anywhere near as bad as some make it sound.Unless Flames win it gets pretty dark in here at times. I agree after the 1st I thought Flames were going to get killed but they shut down the Bruins shots on goal pretty good and turned it up in the 3rd.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

GioforPM
02-21-2020, 09:41 PM
Not sure how anyone can consider a game where the Flames were out-shot 23-18, out-chanced 21-17, out-high danger chanced 9-5 and had an xGF% of 41.62% 5v5 a "good game" just because it was against the best team in the NHL.

I guess the positive to that is the majority of us are recognizing the Flames don't have even close to what it takes to make any noise in the Playoffs and are happy with poor play like this.

Most of the stat differential likely occurred in the first period. They played the best team in the league pretty even the second and third. They are playing with three defencemen who wouldn’t be in the lineup if the Flames were healthy. They had a lot of effort. That’s why it was a good game.

dino7c
Flames allowed almost nothing in the final two periods...some of the comments here are embarassing. Efforts like that are not why the Flames are in the position they are in. That effort wins most nights IMO...Bruins are a great team, got a couple breaks, and won by one goal. The loss stings because of other games the Flames have pissed away.

Kovaz
After 30 seconds of thought, next game I'd start with:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Ryan
Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Jankowski-Monahan-Rieder

Just get Monahan to start competing. 5 games in a row of skating hard to loose pucks and grinding in the corners before he'd get a sniff of top line minutes again.

GioforPM
Na, Flames were not that bad. They are missing their two best defencemen and the Bruins are a great team. Sam Bennett totally outclassed Ryan as a third line centre. That line almost singlehandedly brought the Flames back into it. I wonder what Ryan would get us in a trade, maybe a couple of picks.

TBF, Ryan played sick.

calgaryred
Maybe I just wasnt being very observant but did Lindholm even touch the puck tonight? I hardly remember hearing his name.He assisted on Johnny's goal

OldSam
02-21-2020, 09:42 PM
It was the Bruins. Great coach. Determined, dedicated players that don't give up. Pleased with the pushback. For fricks sake, stop switching everything around, coach.

Know why the Bruins are so good? The coach puts the players together and let's them figure it out. Bergeron is a very, very special player.

Karl
This loss was a much, MUCH better effort than a lot of their wins of late.

timbit
Na, Flames were not that bad. They are missing their two best defencemen and the Bruins are a great team. Sam Bennett totally outclassed Ryan as a third line centre. That line almost singlehandedly brought the Flames back into it. I wonder what Ryan would get us in a trade, maybe a couple of picks.

Ryan’s been a much better player, at both ends of the ice, than Sam.

Since he got here.

AustinL_NHL

I think he's feeling the pressure of literally having to be the one to do it all on our team.

The last 4 weeks, he's added the role of fighting to energize the team to his repertoire on top of everything else he does and he still has points in 11 of his last 12 games.

Definitely a poor game for him but he's one of the few trying to do whatever he can to help the team

BigRed
02-21-2020, 09:43 PM
Flames owned the 3rd against the league's best team in a one-goal game. It was a great effort and they deserved better. Some of the moaning here is absurd. And yes, Monahan was invisble, but Bergeron has that effect on the best of them.

Samonadreau
02-21-2020, 09:44 PM
The last 90 seconds gave me a headache. No structure or gameplan, just 6 skaters moving around at random.

Why even bother taking a timeout... oh wait, they didnt?

CalgaryFan1988

Probably because they lost by a goal and led a couple times. Talbot wasn't spectacular either.

Stats have their place, but there is more to it than just that.

minnow
Gaudreau was buzzing all night. That’s a positive. Don’t know what has happened to Monahan. Not confident at all

I think he still looks tentative, he's checking everything out before he commits to anything. Is he hurt, scared, what?

dino7c
02-21-2020, 09:45 PM

What do you want us all to cry? Flames missing half their top 4 D played a decent game against the leagues top team. It is what it is, difference in the game was a bounce or two

midniteowl
Unless Flames win it gets pretty dark in here at times. I agree after the 1st I thought Flames were going to get killed but they shut down the Bruins shots on goal pretty good and turned it up in the 3rd.

Sigh, it gets dark sometimes even when Flames win. :whaa:

Samonadreau
Flames owned the 3rd against the league's best team in a one-goal game. It was a great effort and they deserved better. Some of the moaning here is absurd. And yes, Monahan was invisble, but Bergeron has that effect on the best of them.

I read: "they tried really hard but the other teams players are better then ours."

Psytic
02-21-2020, 09:46 PM
They gave a solid effort.That's all I've ever asked. I can't be mad at this game. Ward had them ready to play a full 60 minutes. If one of those weird bounces went the Flames way then they win. They would beat most teams on any given night with that effort.

AustinL_NHL
02-21-2020, 09:46 PM
Most of the stat differential likely occurred in the first period. They played the best team in the league pretty even the second and third. They are playing with three defencemen who wouldn’t be in the lineup if the Flames were healthy. They had a lot of effort. That’s why it was a good game.

You are correct. The Flames were very even with the Bruins the final 40 and arguably outplayed them, but overall they were still outplayed and didn't come away with a point.

The Oilers were without the best player in the world and their #1 defenseman but still escaped with a point.

The Flames have had a lot of luck over the years in terms of injuries and have barely moved in the standings since the injuries struck so using that as an excuse isn't that valid

Flash Walken
02-21-2020, 09:47 PM
I read: "they tried really hard but the other teams players are better then ours."

is that honestly so bad?

AC
02-21-2020, 09:47 PM
Nonsense, he’s the only guy that consistently gives a F on this team.

Sure, but to what end?

I liked his fight, but did he do anything offensively? Only time I noticed him with the puck was when he was turning it over to a Bruin, or passing it away when he had the puck in the slot with a good chance to shoot.

Chucky is probably my favourite Flame, but he's now our highest paid player and seems to only show up for half the games lately.

Samonadreau
02-21-2020, 09:48 PM
is that honestly so bad?

Dude, you're the king of 'is it so bad?'. Sit this one out.

direwolf
02-21-2020, 09:48 PM
I must be a total homer, I thought that was a pretty close game? Bruins had the edge for half of the first, otherwise I thought the flames played pretty well. Let’s not forget, Boston is looking like Cup favourites right now. Not sure the flames loooked anywhere near as bad as some make it sound.

They gave it a good fight, for sure. They lost the game because they took their foot off the gas after Boston made it 3-2, and then the Bruins completely took over for a while. Flames didn't really start pushing again until late in the 2nd. Then I thought they dominated most of the 3rd, but just couldn't find the back of the net.

Inconsistency is still the Flames' biggest issue and has been for a while now. Not sure what the fix is, but I think an experienced motivational coach would certainly help.

CorsiHockeyLeague
02-21-2020, 09:49 PM
The last true 1C was #25.
25 years ago...

Longer than that. I think you're thinking of early 90s Joe, not "end of his time with the Flames" Joe.

dino7c
You are correct. The Flames were very even with the Bruins the final 40 and arguably outplayed them, but overall they were still outplayed and didn't come away with a point.

The Oilers were without the best player in the world and their #1 defenseman but still escaped with a point.

The Flames have had a lot of luck over the years in terms of injuries and have barely moved in the standings since the injuries struck so using that as an excuse isn't that valid

The great Oilers also lost to the Wild tonight

tvp2003
Missed the second period — sounds like we didn’t generate much if anything.

Liked the push in the third though. Bruins defending the lead and all but Flames at least pushed the pace and got some chances.

I wonder if elevating Ryan to play with Gaudreau and Lindholm is a possibility. Monahan isn’t getting it done offensively and it’s becoming an issue because Johnny is starting to show signs of his old self.

The power play has also looked pretty weak the past 5 games. I’m talking negative momentum when the other team easily kills it off...

zamler
Team did not play well plus Boston was chugging along at 60%. Lucic is awesome though never thought I'd say that if Monahan put in the same effort we'd be cruising.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
At this point every loss stings, but you’d think a 4-3 loss to Boston given how tight they held the shots would feel like a decent effort. But giving up 3 goals on 6 shots in the first 6mins and after having a quick start feels like such a typical Flames performance. This team lacks leadership, they are never ready to play and their attention to detail and decisions are brutal.

Textcritic
02-21-2020, 09:52 PM
At this point every loss stings, but you’d think a 4-3 loss to Boston given how tight they held the shots would feel like a decent effort. But giving up 3 goals on 6 shots in the first 6mins and after having a quick start feels like such a typical Flames performance. This team lacks leadership, they are never ready to play and their attention to detail and decisions are brutal.
The Flames need a better coach.

flamingred89
02-21-2020, 09:52 PM
That’s a pathetic effort by a pathetic team. Because it’s the Bruins means #### all. You score 3 goals in the first 4 minutes you win the game. Anyone defending the Flames should give their head a shake. The Flames are fighting for the playoffs and you should not be celebrating mediocrity.

I_H8_Crawford
02-21-2020, 09:53 PM
Oilers sans McDavid and Klefbom got a point from the Bruins.

Flames got a participation ribbon.

Yay Flames?

BigRed
02-21-2020, 09:54 PM
That’s a pathetic effort by a pathetic team. Because it’s the Bruins means #### all. You score 3 goals in the first 4 minutes you win the game. Anyone defending the Flames should give their head a shake. The Flames are fighting for the playoffs and you should not be celebrating mediocrity.

You probably need a different hobby.

AustinL_NHL
The great Oilers also lost to the Wild tonight

Exactly, which is why saying "it was the best team in the NHL so it's okay" is such an invalid excuse, because the parity in the NHL is so small that even the worst team can beat the best team any given night (the historically bad Red Wings are 2-1-0 against Boston this year)

Sylvanfan
First stop in my time machine is the 2003 draft and the Flames pick Bergeron instead of Tim Ramholt.

GioforPM
02-21-2020, 09:55 PM
I think he still looks tentative, he's checking everything out before he commits to anything. Is he hurt, scared, what?

He hasn’t been scoring but dude goes to the front of the net and gets whacked every chance he can. He’s not scared. The puck just hasn’t been coming to him the last couple games. Before he was getting good shots away but not scoring, but games like tonight, the puck just never made it to the slot where he parks.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s had the flu like some of the others too, just not bad enough to keep him out.

I’m not writing off a guy who’s led the team in goals 4 of the last 5 years (and missed last year by 2 goals when JG had a phenomenal year).

dino7c
02-21-2020, 09:55 PM
Be honest with yourselves, those mad are not actually mad about this game

Saint Troy
02-21-2020, 09:56 PM
Sure, but to what end?

I liked his fight, but did he do anything offensively? Only time I noticed him with the puck was when he was turning it over to a Bruin, or passing it away when he had the puck in the slot with a good chance to shoot.

Chucky is probably my favourite Flame, but he's now our highest paid player and seems to only show up for half the games lately.

Who the F was on the ice leading to the first two goals? Get a bloody grip man.

Sainters7
I must be a total homer, I thought that was a pretty close game? Bruins had the edge for half of the first, otherwise I thought the flames played pretty well. Let’s not forget, Boston is looking like Cup favourites right now. Not sure the flames loooked anywhere near as bad as some make it sound.True, I think it's just the frustration of scoring 3 goals in the first 3.5 minutes of the game... then losing. Gives the result a stinging feel, regardless of opponent.

GioforPM
Exactly, which is why saying "it was the best team in the NHL so it's okay" is such an invalid excuse, because the parity in the NHL is so small that even the worst team can beat the best team any given night (the historically bad Red Wings are 2-1-0 against Boston this year)

Did you think the Bruins played poorly? If not, it was a really close game against a great team playing well. As far as measuring sticks, I’m OK with that.

timbit

Not disagreeing with you, however, they also need better performances from their best players. Those players need to play better than the other teams best players.

That didn’t happen tonight.

Effort is appreciated. Productive performance is rewarded.

GranteedEV
02-21-2020, 09:57 PM
Here's a fun stat

Kylington - Brodie - 89.83% xGF (3:13)
Brodie - Stone - 37.19% xGF (16:28)

Textcritic
No one is celebrating mediocrity. But no team is going to win every game, and not every loss is an embarrassment deserving of outrage and ridicule.

It was a frustrating game, but not because the team did not play well.

Psytic
Fluke bounces off the backboards and Talbot was a bit weak. Monahan a no show. Im not going to be that hard on them. Outside of that I thought they were pretty decent. Im surprised people are out for blood on this one. Seemed like a good effort outside of those flukey goals that got the Bs right back in it.

Strange Brew

We sure need something and have for a while now.

BigRed
02-21-2020, 09:59 PM
We sure need something and have for a while now.

Weird year. The Peters affair was a sign. Just not our year. Hope they move Hamonic for draft assets, re-sign Brodie and try again next year, boys.

Textcritic
02-21-2020, 10:00 PM
Not disagreeing with you, however, they also need better performances from their best players. Those players need to play better than the other teams best players.

That didn’t happen tonight.

Effort is appreciated. Productive performance is rewarded.
They sure do. I think a better coach could get better performances from this group of players.

direwolf

https://i.imgur.com/BNTRQP9.jpg

Rando
Longer than that. I think you're thinking of early 90s Joe, not "end of his time with the Flames" Joe.
Nieuwendyk left the Flames with 50 points in 46 games. Top twenty in scoring.

He was a first line center his entire time here.

Strange Brew
Weird year. The Peters affair was a sign. Just not our year. Hope they move Hamonic for draft assets, re-sign Brodie and try again next year, boys.

Hamonic? Not many people gonna trade for a pending UFA who may not be back before end of the year.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
I agree, but they shouldn't need to be told some of the basic #### they fail to do.

CalgaryFan1988
02-21-2020, 10:01 PM

Scoring 3 goals in the first 4 minutes is only great if the other team doesn't score 2 in the first 6.

After that, 54 more minutes is a lot of hockey. You speak as if they had a 3 goal lead with 4 minutes to go.

Textcritic
02-21-2020, 10:01 PM
No one is moving picks for an injured Hamonic who may not be ready in time for the playoffs to start.

BigRed
02-21-2020, 10:02 PM
No one is moving picks for an injured Hamonic who may not be ready in time for the playoffs to start.

Let me rephrase then: Keep Brodie. Hamonic, whatever.

Strange Brew
02-21-2020, 10:04 PM
Well I’m guessing at this point Flames feel they have little to no chance of re-signing Brodie. I actually think he gets dealt.

AustinL_NHL
02-21-2020, 10:05 PM
Did you think the Bruins played poorly? If not, it was a really close game against a great team playing well. As far as measuring sticks, I’m OK with that.

I mean, that is actually a pretty good way to look at it, because the Bruins did play very well.

But at the same time, for the Flames to completely step off the gas for the rest of the first period after going up 3-1 is very concerning because we've seen them get too comfortable with a lead way too often this season.

dino7c
02-21-2020, 10:05 PM

Sometimes it's not an excuse it's just reality...they lost by one goal to the top team. To say it was embarassing or no heart ect. is stupid.

It's unfortunate that every game is this massive but if they do miss the playoffs it won't be because they lost to the Bruins by one goal in Feb.

cam_wmh
02-21-2020, 10:07 PM
Nieuwendyk left the Flames with 50 points in 46 games. Top twenty in scoring.

He was a first line center his entire time here.

He wasn’t when they won the cup

GranteedEV
02-21-2020, 10:10 PM
I agree, but they shouldn't need to be told some of the basic #### they fail to do.

I think a better coach would challenge those players who don't do those things you're referring to start from scratch and truly earn their ice time, even if it means more 2-1 games instead of 4-3 games. It's not about telling guys to mindlessly dump and chase either. Playing the right way doesn't mean that.

There's a lack of accountability on this team, and you see it when a guy like Mike Stone leapfrogs Kylington into a top 4 role simply for being older.

Tron_fdc
02-21-2020, 10:12 PM
Every time I watch a flames game I get the sense the coach has no idea what he’s doing, and the team is winning in spite of his best impression of Lloyd Christmas.

This team is lost this year.

Rando
02-21-2020, 10:12 PM
He wasn’t when they won the cup
Yes he was.

Both he and Gilmore were. Dougie had 85 points that year, Joe 82. Gilmore raised his game in the post season but they were both top line players. Top teams are built with multiple #1 centers, it's why this team has struggled since.

timbit
02-21-2020, 10:16 PM
They sure do. I think a better coach could get better performances from this group of players.

Any suggestions ?

Mine would be Darryl Sutter.

One of my favorite quotes from him.

“Players are motivated in one or both of two ways only. Positive or negative energy. I don’t care which one I need to employ. Their performance will dictate it.”

Some current players need to know why Bergeron Marchand and Pasternak excel 95 % of the games they play.

They know that their best is the only bar, every game.

AC
02-21-2020, 10:18 PM
Who the F was on the ice leading to the first two goals? Get a bloody grip man.

Alrighty then. Too bad Tkachuk wasn't noticeable with the puck outside of the first few minutes then.

All I'm saying is: for $7M I expect him to make a play or 2 with the puck in the final 55 minutes or so. He had 2 passing options on the PP along the boards and went between his legs to turn it over and ice our best chance at tying it up. He also turned the puck over 2 or 3 times with the empty net and time running out.

I think it's fair to expect more from our top players.

Saint Troy
02-21-2020, 10:18 PM
Sometimes it's not an excuse it's just reality...they lost by one goal to the top team. To say it was embarassing or no heart ect. is stupid.

It's unfortunate that every game is this massive but if they do miss the playoffs it won't be because they lost to the Bruins by one goal in Feb.

They were up 3-1, and instead of keeping everyone behind the puck and making the Bruins work for space, they pinched D consistently, even giving up a breakaway. Not acceptable.

Saint Troy
02-21-2020, 10:21 PM
Alrighty then. Too bad Tkachuk wasn't noticeable with the puck outside of the first few minutes then.

All I'm saying is: for $7M I expect him to make a play or 2 with the puck in the final 55 minutes or so. He had 2 passing options on the PP along the boards and went between his legs to turn it over and ice our best chance at tying it up.

I think it's fair to expect more from our top players.

What is your expectation for 23? Tkachuk is the absolute least of this team’s problems.

flamingred89
You probably need a different hobby.

Or you know, frustrated?

But hey. I should stop watching the Flames because i’m Annoyed at losing. Attitudes like that are why it’s been ok to be mediocre for 30+ years. You’re allowed to be mad you know?

Ferarri
The coaching debate can not excuse the poor play and execution from our best players. This core has failed and the writing has been on the wall since last years all star break. It’s time to re-tool and make the call to stop chasing the illusion of a miracle run like 04.

Teams like Boston are elite and are structured to play a dominating game that ensures success. Management needs to realize that the Flames are not one piece away from becoming a true contender.

Let’s not make the mistake of holding on to players and losing lucrative trade opportunities. Even though I’m sure management realizes this deep down, it will be ownership that dictates the course of action moving forward. Unfortunately the allure of a few home playoff games will negate the need to do a proper re-tooling.

Voodooman
02-21-2020, 10:22 PM

But isn’t the issue that there are seemingly zero consequences when they fail to do that ####? Everyone just does whatever the f they please, and the coaching team just sort of shrugs.

dino7c
02-21-2020, 10:22 PM
They were up 3-1, and instead of keeping everyone behind the puck and making the Bruins work for space, they pinched D consistently, even giving up a breakaway. Not acceptable.

The what 8th or 9th defenceman made a bad mistake for a breakaway...the other two goals were bad bounces. It's not like the Flames were gonna lock it down for 56 mins...then we would complain they sat back. If they were up by two in the third you would have a point

AC
02-21-2020, 10:23 PM
What is your expectation for 23? Tkachuk is the absolute least of this team’s problems.

As I said: "I think it's fair to expect more from our top players."

Monahan is absolutely included in that.

timbit
02-21-2020, 10:24 PM
I think a better coach would challenge those players who don't do those things you're referring to start from scratch and truly earn their ice time, even if it means more 2-1 games instead of 4-3 games. It's not about telling guys to mindlessly dump and chase either. Playing the right way doesn't mean that.

There's a lack of accountability on this team, and you see it when a guy like Mike Stone leapfrogs Kylington into a top 4 role simply for being older.

Those guys and Bennett are not the guys who, consistently, are supposed to win games for you over a season and the playoffs.

Their job is to help you not to lose.

None of them have been great at either up to this point.

They need more from their top guys, IMO.

calgarywinning
02-21-2020, 10:25 PM
This game was reflective of the bipolar team, the Flames are up and down, on top of the world; in a deep dark hell.

They can't win at home they can win on the road. They can't string a solid effort together amongst all of them yet individuals have moments.

The team just folds in the face of adversity.

Coaching aside, the GM'ing that has got us here, is time for a refresh. The ownership that has got us here, is time for a refresh.

Flash Walken
02-21-2020, 10:27 PM
Any suggestions ?

Mine would be Darryl Sutter.

One of my favorite quotes from him.

“Players are motivated in one or both of two ways only. Positive or negative energy. I don’t care which one I need to employ. Their performance will dictate it.”

Some current players need to know why Bergeron Marchand and Pasternak excel 95 % of the games they play.

They know that their best is the only bar, every game.
They have to want it.

There's no coach there in August when the gym is stifling. No motivational speeches at 6 am for the first of two workouts.

There's no coach there monitoring their diet on an offday.

It's not just geography that has Marchand, MacKinnon and Crosby training together in the offseason. They want to be the best.

BigRed
02-21-2020, 10:28 PM
Or you know, frustrated?

But hey. I should stop watching the Flames because i’m Annoyed at losing. Attitudes like that are why it’s been ok to be mediocre for 30+ years. You’re allowed to be mad you know?

Sure. But this is supposed to be fun. I know losing isn't fun, but that was an enjoyable game and a more than respectable effort against a team we're overmatched against. Neither you nor I can do a thing about what happens on the ice, and lord know there have been some brutal games this year. This wasn't one of them.

Saint Troy
02-21-2020, 10:29 PM
The what 8th or 9th defenceman made a bad mistake for a breakaway...the other two goals were bad bounces. It's not like the Flames were gonna lock it down for 56 mins...then we would complain they sat back. If they were up by two in the third you would have a point

If you’re ok with a participation ribbon for this group at this point in the season, by all means fill your boots.

CaptainYooh
02-21-2020, 10:31 PM
I don’t know why is everyone so hard on the team tonight. This was one of those games. They played really hard and wanted to win, but Boston was just one goal better. Plus, Talbot was awful in the beginning allowing 3 goals on 6 shots... but so was Halak. Tough loss, yeah, but if we lose a game, I’d rather we lose games like this one.

Fischy13
02-21-2020, 10:31 PM
Was at the game, now listening to the Fan960 and the coaches take. They feel good about this game...? Honestly didn’t see it personally.

The passing is atrocious. Taking players from a position of facing the net, to spinning around and turned towards their own goal. Passes bobbling, in feet, unnecessary off the boards, not hitting the open guy, instead hitting the guys with opposition on them. It’s garbage. What’s with having it in the slot, no better spot to shoot from and passing it wide to the boards??

Pucks hung around in no mans land, Flames rarely got to any of them. Most, didn’t even try. Shooting, taking shots as the window closes or the player gets them. Shoot! Right away. So many chances and they delay too much.

The defense, was terrible. How many stretch passes did Boston try and generate offense. Couple times, out forward was the only one back. Lucic, made a nice diving play to knock the puck away.

Their play was absolute garbage. Never seen an NHL game with that much poor play. It takes a lot for me to be disappointed, don’t say much about it. This, was terrible hockey. Dumb decisions and poor execution.

GullFoss
02-21-2020, 10:32 PM
There were positives in the game.

(1) Another data point to suggest Johnny is playing his best hockey in over a season. Which implies the first line will soon break out.

(2). We have a high quality third line with Dube, Lucic and Bennet

(3) Mangiapane continues to look like he fits on the 3M line

If the flames have three lines firing for the last 20 games and into the playoffs, they're going to be just fine.

The only trade Tre needs to make is Jankowski for a RW, so we can have Ryan center the fourth line.

oldschoolcalgary
02-21-2020, 10:36 PM
meh, i thought this team should be selling at the deadline, or at the very worse, staying pat...

i honestly don't get the ppl that continually say "you can't win every game"... i mean, obviously that's the case; no team in history has gone undefeated.

but using the same explanation in explaining away losses to teams like Ottawa, Mtl and LA by saying things like "even Tampa Bay or Boston loses games" is a straw man argument... sure those teams can lose those games because they win a ton of other games.

The flames simply do not have a margin for error. Losing to Boston isn't a big deal only if you are beating the bottom of the barrel teams. Losing to Boston, while simultaneously losing to bottom feeders, carries zero weight as a cogent argument.

Dion
02-21-2020, 10:37 PM
I thought the Flames deserved a better fate. They competed hard and tightened things up after the first 10 minutes. There were times when they tried to make an extra pass when they had a good shooting lane and then there were the bad bounces that lead to a couple goals by the Bruins.

I think it's a good thing that every game from now to the seasons end is a must win situation. Should they make the playoffs their mind frame will be a lot better than last year when they a spot locked up early.

calgarywinning
02-21-2020, 10:39 PM
meh, i thought this team should be selling at the deadline, or at the very worse, staying pat...

i honestly don't get the ppl that continually say "you can't win every game"... i mean, obviously that's the case; no team in history has gone undefeated.

but using the same explanation in explaining away losses to teams like Ottawa, Mtl and LA by saying things like "even Tampa Bay or Boston loses games" is a straw man argument... sure those teams can lose those games because they win a ton of other games.

The flames simply do not have a margin for error. Losing to Boston isn't a big deal only if you are beating the bottom of the barrel teams. Losing to Boston, while simultaneously losing to bottom feeders, carries zero weight as a cogent argument.

I feel like this message should be playing on a bio recorder/playback in bioshock or fallout 4 as a clue to where this team is now officially. Lol.

dino7c
02-21-2020, 10:41 PM
If you’re ok with a participation ribbon for this group at this point in the season, by all means fill your boots.

What does me being "okay" have to do with anything...and you not being okay changes what exactly? I was giving my assessment of the game. That effort wins most nights in this league IMO. It's too bad that hasn't been the norm but this game is not why they are in the spot they are in. If they miss the playoffs I won't be lamenting tonight's game

Textcritic
02-21-2020, 10:44 PM
I feel like this message should be playing on a bio recorder/playback in bioshock or fallout 4 as a clue to where this team is now officially. Lol.I don't understand what this means. Not at all.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Dion
02-21-2020, 10:44 PM
This team needs more than a "little" help.

Give some credit for being without Gio and Hammer...but scoring? Or maybe even basic puck skills. Basic coaching, too.

I agree about the defence. Given the injuries they've done better than what I expected. My only issue with the offence is don't shoot enough. Get more pucks to the net and maybe one goes in or you create more chances off of rebounds.

Bend it like Bourgeois
02-21-2020, 10:45 PM

Why?

Hartley, Gully, Peters, and now Ward.

A cup champ, young and fresh, a hardass, a career coach.

What’s been missing that gets fixed in the bench?

ForeverFlameFan
02-21-2020, 10:45 PM
Man, a lot of hot takes on a team that played decent against a hot Bruins team. You act as if we are a team that plays as consistent as the contenders like Boston or Tampa Bay. If that were the case, we would be one of the best teams in the league. Unfortunately, we are not.

Dion
02-21-2020, 10:46 PM

I'm willing to cut them some slack on defence due to the injuries to Gio and Hammi.

Saint Troy
02-21-2020, 10:47 PM
What does me being "okay" have to do with anything...and you not being okay changes what exactly? I was giving my assessment of the game. That effort wins most nights in this league IMO. It's too bad that hasn't been the norm but this game is not why they are in the spot they are in. If they miss the playoffs I won't be lamenting tonight's game

Obviously you and I have significant differences in the definition of effort, this group imo is massively underachieving. You don’t see it that way, all good.

dino7c
02-21-2020, 10:48 PM
People who predicted they would get destroyed in the gameday now losing their minds about a one goal loss in the PGT

Dion

If you're going to try another coach you'd better do something with the core of this team.

Flash Walken
People who predicted they would get destroyed in the gameday now losing their minds about a one goal loss in the PGT
who are these people?

Textcritic
02-21-2020, 10:49 PM
Why?

A quality head coach.

Rando
02-21-2020, 10:49 PM
It's not just geography that has Marchand, MacKinnon and Crosby training together in the offseason. They want to be the best.
That is literally the reason three guys from Nova Scotia train together though. Logan Shaw of Glace Bay also joins them.

Bend it like Bourgeois
02-21-2020, 10:50 PM
A quality head coach.

Whew. Here I thought you were looking for a unicorn.

3,4, 8 more tries and I’m sure they will be fine.

Textcritic
02-21-2020, 10:51 PM
If you're going to try another coach you'd better do something with the core of this team.I agree, and I would be very surprised to not see some significant changes made to the core this summer.

zamler
Was at the game, now listening to the Fan960 and the coaches take. They feel good about this game...? Honestly didn’t see it personally.

The passing is atrocious. Taking players from a position of facing the net, to spinning around and turned towards their own goal. Passes bobbling, in feet, unnecessary off the boards, not hitting the open guy, instead hitting the guys with opposition on them. It’s garbage. What’s with having it in the slot, no better spot to shoot from and passing it wide to the boards??

Pucks hung around in no mans land, Flames rarely got to any of them. Most, didn’t even try. Shooting, taking shots as the window closes or the player gets them. Shoot! Right away. So many chances and they delay too much.

The defense, was terrible. How many stretch passes did Boston try and generate offense. Couple times, out forward was the only one back. Lucic, made a nice diving play to knock the puck away.

Their play was absolute garbage. Never seen an NHL game with that much poor play. It takes a lot for me to be disappointed, don’t say much about it. This, was terrible hockey. Dumb decisions and poor execution.
It comes across on the TV as well. Dumb hockey is exactly how the team tends to play and I feel it's completely avoidable. What's extra frustrating is on the road things are generally much better.

Dion
Obviously you and I have significant differences in the definition of effort, this group imo is massively underachieving. You don’t see it that way, all good.

The bi-polar effort you see on the road and at home scares me. We should be a good home team but we're not and yet they excel on the road, That's what worries me the most.

dino7c
02-21-2020, 10:53 PM

Except I just said the effort hasn't been there most of the year if you actually read what I posted

timbit
A quality head coach.

You seem to be certain about who the wrong coaches for these players have been.

Who is the right “quality head coach” ...and why?

Textcritic
Whew. Here I thought you were looking for a unicorn.

3,4, 8 more tries and I’m sure they will be fine.Hopefully just one.

zamler
02-21-2020, 10:54 PM

Living for pointing out why think you are better than other people must be a miserable existence.

Dion
02-21-2020, 10:54 PM
I agree, and I would be very surprised to not see some significant changes made to the core this summer.

Start with Gaudreau and maybe Monohan. That is of course if we can get a good return. Maybe we also find someone who can take over the leadership role from Gio and let him focus soley on his game.

zamler
02-21-2020, 10:56 PM
Start with Gaudreau and maybe Monohan. That is of course if we can get a good return. Maybe we also find someone who can take over the leadership role from Gio and let him focus soley on his game.

If Johnny gets traded and goes on to play with an elite center he's going to rip it up. That's gonna hurt.

Dion
02-21-2020, 10:59 PM
If Johnny gets traded and goes on to play with an elite center he's going to rip it up. That's gonna hurt.

If we get a good player in return we won't care. Sometimes a change of scenery is needed for a player. Plus if that player becomes a better fit with the core, we win! :D

Bend it like Bourgeois
02-21-2020, 11:00 PM
Hopefully just one.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/3o6Mb6P4nCXQYJlizm/source.gif

Saint Troy
02-21-2020, 11:01 PM
Flames allowed almost nothing in the final two periods...some of the comments here are embarassing. Efforts like that are not why the Flames are in the position they are in. That effort wins most nights IMO...Bruins are a great team, got a couple breaks, and won by one goal. The loss stings because of other games the Flames have pissed away.

I can read fine, this is your take that the Flames effort tonight was good enough, despite the fact they were up 3-1, and ended up being outshot while trailing early in the second. I have higher expectations, if you don’t, whatever...

GranteedEV
02-21-2020, 11:01 PM
Why?

A cup champ back when two line pass was a thing keeping him from strwtch pass insanity.

Young and fresh who had failed miserably in his last stop as a HC and then apprenticed under a pair of coaches who failed miserably themselves in his previous stop

a hardass whose team accomplished nothing in the four years he was there, and then went to the WCF the very next year

a career ASSISTANT coach who has no idea what he's doing as a head coach.

Hartley was the best coach of the four and he hasn't even been able to get a new job.

Gulutzan wasn't even regarded as a top up and comer coach. You look at guys like Sheldon Keefe and Jared Bednar and they were legitimate top coaching prospects. I don't even know how Gully got the job. Actually I do - because he gave a good powerpoint presentation.

Ward was literally the guy who was the runner up to Gully in Tre's own failure of a coaching search.

And Peters will never coach in the NHL again.

Textcritic
02-21-2020, 11:02 PM
You seem to be certain about who the wrong coaches for these players have been.

Who is the right “quality head coach” ...and why?

I don't know enough to say one way or the other. But this group of players has shown that they are better than how they are currently playing, and there has been a noticeable change in how they defend and transition the puck out of their zone from last season.

Thankfully, I'm not the one whose job it is to fix it.

Dion
02-21-2020, 11:04 PM

https://i.imgur.com/r2BSq7R.gif

dino7c
02-21-2020, 11:06 PM
I can read fine, this is your take that the Flames effort tonight was good enough, despite the fact they were up 3-1, and ended up being outshot while trailing early in the second. I have higher expectations, if you don’t, whatever...

Are you a 13 year old girl?

Condescending comment followed by:

All good, fine, whatever

This game was a coin toss again the top team...it was. Losses to Kings, Sens, Habs, ect. are the reason they are fighting for their lives. No point in getting all mad about this one. Play like that against Detroit and you win.

timbit
02-21-2020, 11:07 PM
A cup champ back when two line pass was a thing keeping him from strwtch pass insanity.

Young and fresh who had failed miserably in his last stop as a HC and then apprenticed under a pair of coaches who failed miserably themselves in his previous stop

a hardass whose team accomplished nothing in the four years he was there, and then went to the WCF the very next year

a career ASSISTANT coach who has no idea what he's doing as a head coach.

Hartley was the best coach of the four and he hasn't even been able to get a new job.

Gulutzan wasn't even regarded as a top up and comer coach. You look at guys like Sheldon Keefe and Jared Bednar and they were legitimate top coaching prospects. I don't even know how Gully got the job.

Ward was literally the guy who was the runner up to Gully in Tre's own failute of a coaching search.

And Peters will never coach in the NHL again.

I’ll pose the same question presented to Textcritic.

Who is the right “quality head coach” for these players ...and why?

Dion
02-21-2020, 11:07 PM

A couple of the Bruins goals were an indirect result of lucky bounces off a d man then ending up on a Bruins stick for a goal.

dino7c
02-21-2020, 11:10 PM
Flames aren't making two coaching changes in one season...we might as well save that talk for the summer

flamingred89
02-21-2020, 11:12 PM
Sure. But this is supposed to be fun. I know losing isn't fun, but that was an enjoyable game and a more than respectable effort against a team we're overmatched against. Neither you nor I can do a thing about what happens on the ice, and lord know there have been some brutal games this year. This wasn't one of them.

Cool man. Enjoy hanging that participation ribbon. Because the Flames have been the team that “overmatches” opponents lately and lost them. Senators, Canadiens, and Kings come to mind.

I love watching the Flames, and always will. But I’m also going to be critical at times. And that’s allowed. I know CP can be all negative nelly but it’s equally frustrating when folks are all positive Pauly after tough losses.

Saint Troy
02-21-2020, 11:17 PM

All good, fine, whatever

This game was a coin toss again the top team...it was. Losses to Kings, Sens, Habs, ect. are the reason they are fighting for their lives. No point in getting all mad about this one. Play like that against Detroit and you win.

13 year old? Well my 16 year old daughter would likely tell you to grow a thicker skin, when you get called out for spouting nonsense.

zamler
02-21-2020, 11:18 PM
If we get a good player in return we won't care. Sometimes a change of scenery is needed for a player. Plus if that player becomes a better fit with the core, we win! :D

Unless we get a superstar center in return doubt I'll like the deal.

blender
02-21-2020, 11:19 PM
Another disappointing loss.
Confidence is a key part of the game, and it seems obvious that with 2 of their best defensemen out The Flames are struggling. I think it explains the appearance of lack of effort and the faulty execution. They are hesitating, not fully confident and committed and it manifests as if they forgot how to do the simple things.

That said, Boston can spot you a two-goal lead and beat you. Impressive team. Flames need what, 13 wins to secure a playoff spot? Get one in Detroit and its 12.
Hang in there til Gio's back and hopefully find that confidence.

I think we all know there will be a different look next season. Amidst the frustration I've enjoyed some really good times with this group of players. I hope they find a way to have a bit of a run.

Flamenspiel
02-21-2020, 11:20 PM
That “participation ribbon” comment is dumb. We are Flames fans, and our attitude has no effect on the game, all fans should get a “participation ribbon”. I agree that it was an enjoyable game. They were a goal better with our top 2 out.

zamler
02-21-2020, 11:20 PM

All good, fine, whatever

Nothing at all wrong with being a 13 year old girl mate.

GranteedEV
02-21-2020, 11:21 PM
I’ll pose the same question presented to Textcritic.

Who is the right “quality head coach” for these players ...and why?

Among the experienced coaches, Peter Laviolette. He's been in the cup final in the last five years. he has a stanley cup. his teams have consistently been top performers in terms of underlying metrics. His teams are consistently top performers in terms of scoring from the backend.

If this team fails under Laviolette then it needs to be blown up.

Among the prospect coaches, if we elected to go that route, then Rocky Thompson appears to be the top prospect. Somrthing Gulutzan was not. I'm not sure we have the margin for a new coach to learn on the fly though. Even Bednar needed a year to adjust to the NHL.

Calgary4LIfe
02-21-2020, 11:28 PM
Flames aren't making two coaching changes in one season...we might as well save that talk for the summer

You are probably right. However, there are some strong coaching candidates available right now. I am not even considering them as 'season saviours', but it wouldn't be the worst move to go with someone more proven and have that first-hand intimate knowledge of the team before now and the last game they play for the season (including playoffs, if they end up making it).

Why? Perhaps that coach can get a better feel for which players slot better in his line-up, can start figuring out a better system to use the existing strengths of this team, and provide feedback to Treliving on who he really wants to keep on the roster, and who he sees as more expendable to use as assets to upgrade/patch-up the roster.

I don't think it will happen either, but if I am a GM and I have made two poor coaching decisions in a row with an associate coach who I felt wasn't even as good of a candidate as one of the poor coaches I have hired...

Getting the right coach for your team isn't easy. Darryl Sutter was horrible at it. Treliving seems horrible at it too. I think it cost Darryl his GM position in the end, and I think it will end up costing Treliving his position as well.

Like I said, I don't think it will happen either, but I think it is probably a good gamble to take at this moment to try and get more consistency out of this core for the rest of the season, but I do think it would help get this team out of the gate quicker next year (rather than trying to learn a brand new system) and hopefully providing Brad with a better 'pulse' on the roster and what moves he needs to make in the off-season.

Textcritic
02-21-2020, 11:33 PM
You are probably right. However, there are some strong coaching candidates available right now. I am not even considering them as 'season saviours', but it wouldn't be the worst move to go with someone more proven and have that first-hand intimate knowledge of the team before now and the last game they play for the season (including playoffs, if they end up making it)...

I am of the belief that at least two of the top coaching candidates presently out of work (Laviolette and Gallant) are not actually available until the end of the season.

timbit
02-21-2020, 11:43 PM
Owners will promote and in some rare cases insist on coaching /player changes if they believe it will reasonably give them a better shot at a playoff spot.

The playoff net revenues would shock many.

How else do you explain the coaching changes in Nashville, Las Vegas, San Jose etc. ?

ComixZone
02-21-2020, 11:45 PM
Pat Steinberg
@Fan960Steinberg
Pleasantly surprised watching Bennett back at centre of late, he’s made a difference.

In three games since moving to the middle, Bennett 54.7% possession 5v5, 61.3% in the faceoff dot.

Individually: 7 shots, 11 attempts, 5 high danger chances per
@NatStatTrick
. #Flames

Bennett has been really good since the all-star break. Exciting to think he and Dube could form another duo for us.

Redrum
02-21-2020, 11:51 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/249/829/562.jpg

Meh, with 20 games left there's still a lot of time for things to move around. I kind of wish we would be able to sell Hammer at the deadline, but as long as we aren't buyers...

Torchdemall
02-22-2020, 12:09 AM
I was thoroughly entertained. Two good clubs put on a hell of hockey match, and that is what you pay for. Really not any reason to get too worked being beat "barely" by the best team in the league.

mikephoen
02-22-2020, 12:15 AM
Why?

This argument just doesn’t hold water for me.

Ramo, Hiller, Elliott, Smith. Well we tried 4 goalies and none of them were a good starter. Guess the problem can’t be goaltending!

There are some top tier coaches sitting on the sidelines right now. Throw enough money at them and get one behind the bench.

Mr.Coffee
02-22-2020, 12:44 AM
Bennett has been really good since the all-star break. Exciting to think he and Dube could form another duo for us.

Yeah Bennett looked good tonight, was flying out there and engaged all night. He has been good lately would be nice to see him pot a few even though personally I’m not a big fan, unless it’s playoffs but that’s mainly because the refs put their whistles away so his brain dead penalties evaporate and he’s free to be the Doug Gilmore hopeful we all wanted on that one fateful draft day.

One thing I have noticed is the teams passing is like... F- bad. It’s been like that for awhile and it just destroys speed. Breakouts, gaining the zone with speed, neutral zone pace and ultimately offensive zone chances that could be all struggle because as a team they can’t move the puck very well. It’s like they’re all one step behind the play when it comes time to move the puck.

GioforPM
02-22-2020, 01:03 AM
Yeah Bennett looked good tonight, was flying out there and engaged all night. He has been good lately would be nice to see him pot a few even though personally I’m not a big fan, unless it’s playoffs but that’s mainly because the refs put their whistles away so his brain dead penalties evaporate and he’s free to be the Doug Gilmore hopeful we all wanted on that one fateful draft day.

One thing I have noticed is the teams passing is like... F- bad. It’s been like that for awhile and it just destroys speed. Breakouts, gaining the zone with speed, neutral zone pace and ultimately offensive zone chances that could be all struggle because as a team they can’t move the puck very well. It’s like they’re all one step behind the play when it comes time to move the puck.

I agree about the passing. Just off every time, making the recipient stop or miss entirely.

madmike
02-22-2020, 01:06 AM

Nieuwendyk and Gilmour. It’s been almost 30 years.

KootenayFlamesFan
02-22-2020, 01:09 AM
Difference between having an NHL caliber coach, and whatever this garbage fire of a joke the Flames have is. Boston plays a system, the Flames pray for rain.

Hire a coach. Do it now.

No, the difference is the Bruins have a much, much, much better team. Better players, more depth, better goaltending.......they're just better everywhere.

Manhattanboy
02-22-2020, 01:12 AM
Here's a fun stat

Kylington - Brodie - 89.83% xGF (3:13)
Brodie - Stone - 37.19% xGF (16:28)

I don’t know what this means.

Manhattanboy
02-22-2020, 01:24 AM
Was at the game. So apparently we set a franchise record for the fastest 3 goals to start a game. That’s nice.

Thereafter, with the exception of a few minutes, I thought the Flames looked slow and sloppy. Missed passes. Dump and chase and lose the race. No structure in the defensive zone. The effort was there but the execution looked like a pre season game.

Our poor play made Boston look even better. Honestly I thought Boston was not even playing close to their full potential.

This team needs a quality coach with a decent system

Dion
02-22-2020, 01:27 AM
You are probably right. However, there are some strong coaching candidates available right now. I am not even considering them as 'season saviours', but it wouldn't be the worst move to go with someone more proven and have that first-hand intimate knowledge of the team before now and the last game they play for the season (including playoffs, if they end up making it).

Why? Perhaps that coach can get a better feel for which players slot better in his line-up, can start figuring out a better system to use the existing strengths of this team, and provide feedback to Treliving on who he really wants to keep on the roster, and who he sees as more expendable to use as assets to upgrade/patch-up the roster.

I don't think it will happen either, but if I am a GM and I have made two poor coaching decisions in a row with an associate coach who I felt wasn't even as good of a candidate as one of the poor coaches I have hired...

Getting the right coach for your team isn't easy. Darryl Sutter was horrible at it. Treliving seems horrible at it too. I think it cost Darryl his GM position in the end, and I think it will end up costing Treliving his position as well.

Like I said, I don't think it will happen either, but I think it is probably a good gamble to take at this moment to try and get more consistency out of this core for the rest of the season, but I do think it would help get this team out of the gate quicker next year (rather than trying to learn a brand new system) and hopefully providing Brad with a better 'pulse' on the roster and what moves he needs to make in the off-season.

Making another coaching change this late in the season would set this team back. We don't have time or games to be learning a new system. Like it or not this team sinks or swims with Ward as the Head Coach.

DeluxeMoustache
02-22-2020, 01:29 AM

:rolleyes:

F+

Mr.Coffee
02-22-2020, 01:32 AM
I’d also like to know what timeouts did to Ward as a child.

It’s okay coach, you’re not initiating the nuke launch sequence, you can give the top line a rest when you’re down 1 with 1 minute left.

Manhattanboy
02-22-2020, 01:39 AM
Another six weeks of Ward and he will be quietly forgotten.

Hopefully they hire a proven head coach.

FireGilbert
02-22-2020, 01:41 AM
Tough one. The Bruins got more of the bounces and locked it down when it counted. If a great team gets off to a slow start and gives you a 2 goal lead you have to take advantage.

Dion
02-22-2020, 01:49 AM
An indication the Bruins are on a different level than the Flames

“That’s what good teams are able to do,” said Flames interim coach Geoff Ward, who spent several years coaching a beasty Bruins team that won the Cup in 2011.

“I was talking to some of the (Bruins) walking by and they were saying, ‘We thought this could get out of control after 10 minutes.’ But they were able to get themselves back on track pretty quickly. Once they were able to tie the game and get the lead you saw how tight they played.”

“It was 3-1 with 55 minutes left, so there’s basically the whole game there – you can’t take it for granted there even though it’s nice to got off to a good start,” said Tkachuk.

“Then they got three unanswered goals there. They’re a dangerous team, but I thought the first five minutes – except for the goal we gave them – we played with a lot of energy in the building, we played smart, we played in their face and didn’t over-respect them.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-get-lesson-elite-bruins-control-games/

djsFlames
02-22-2020, 01:50 AM

I don't know who to believe when I fcome in here after only catching a small part of the game.

Some go full suicide booth. Make it sound all horrible, like all hope is lost, every one is terrible. Yet I see 4-3 against one of the top 3-4 teams in the league, not many shots allowed and I'm like..is it really as bad as these ones are making it out to be?

Its also not great cause we desperately needed to find a way to collect points and couldn't.

A shrug would describe it best probably. It is what it is. We're in no man's land with a not perfect roster but some really good pieces still, but maybe a coaching system that doesn't get the most out of them, but we don't want to spend for a coach, and we aren't being active with trades to improve cause I guess Lindholm trades don't come around very often.

Dion
02-22-2020, 01:53 AM
I don't know who to believe when I fcome in here after only catching a small part of the game.

Some go full suicide booth. Make it sound all horrible, like all hope is lost, every one is terrible. Yet I see 4-3 against one of the top 3-4 teams in the league, not many shots allowed and I'm like..is it really as bad as these ones are making it out to be?

Its also not great cause we desperately needed to find a way to collect points and couldn't.

A shrug would describe it best probably. It is what it is. We're in no man's land with a not perfect roster but some really good pieces still, but maybe a coaching system that doesn't get the most out of them, but we don't want to spend for a coach, and we aren't being active with trades to improve cause I guess Lindholm trades don't come around very often.

Some where in between is the truth.

WhiteTiger
02-22-2020, 04:12 AM
The inconsistency still bothers me. If the Flames put in this kind of effort most of the time, no problem. They are showing they can run with the big dogs. But then we get the games where it looks like not one of them knows how to play hockey...and you NEVER know what team is going to show up. So frustrating.

Poe969
02-22-2020, 05:12 AM
They almost beat the best team in the league, that's pretty much Flames win...just like almost winning the cup or almost winning a playoff round or almost making the playoffs. Almost winning is what the Flames do, it could be their slogan for the past 25 years or so. It has a pretty good ring to it.

Calgary Flames, celebrating 25 years of almost.

Aarongavey
02-22-2020, 06:02 AM
They almost beat the best team in the league, that's pretty much Flames win...just like almost winning the cup or almost winning a playoff round or almost making the playoffs. Almost winning is what the Flames do, it could be their slogan for the past 25 years or so. It has a pretty good ring to it.

That is the frustrating part and then you have fans who actually think that if you threw in the towel on an almost winning season this year to try to actually build towards a Stanley Cup champion that Tkachuk would remember 36 months later and refuse to sign with the Flames and year UFA instead. I think building a winner would be a more attractive to players like Tkachuk longterm.

Flames have the 9th best winning percentage in the western conference. The Wild are knocking on the door to pass them for 9th. They are part of a 5 or 6 team battle for 3 playoff spots and they are probably going to take a pass on adding some significant assets to the organization at the deadline. All so we can squeak in and maybe lay a beating on the St. Louis Blues in the first round.

Rick M.
02-22-2020, 06:05 AM

That reminds me of the film Apocalypto. “That’s your name...Almost”.

Poe969
02-22-2020, 07:11 AM
That is the frustrating part and then you have fans who actually think that if you threw in the towel on an almost winning season this year to try to actually build towards a Stanley Cup champion that Tkachuk would remember 36 months later and refuse to sign with the Flames and year UFA instead. I think building a winner would be a more attractive to players like Tkachuk longterm.

Flames have the 9th best winning percentage in the western conference. The Wild are knocking on the door to pass them for 9th. They are part of a 5 or 6 team battle for 3 playoff spots and they are probably going to take a pass on adding some significant assets to the organization at the deadline. All so we can squeak in and maybe lay a beating on the St. Louis Blues in the first round.

But this isn't an almost winning season. This is an almost, almost, almost winning season and those fans want to make the future even more bleak by trading away futures in the hopes of it maybe becoming an almost, almost winning season. That way we definitely won't be able to build a winning team because they'll be stuck with an older team that can't get it done and have no prospects to help!

Aarongavey
02-22-2020, 07:27 AM
But this isn't an almost winning season. This is an almost, almost, almost winning season and those fans want to make the future even more bleak by trading away futures in the hopes of it maybe becoming an almost, almost winning season. That way we definitely won't be able to build a winning team because they'll be stuck with an older team that can't get it done and have no prospects to help!

Oh I agree with you, but it is just the way it is for Flames management and some fans, almost is ok.

Since 2015 the following teams have less playoff victories than the Flames

Vancouver
Arizona
Buffalo

I suppose when the franchise has a record like that under current management, ok is good enough.

Jiri Hrdina
02-22-2020, 07:54 AM
Oh I agree with you, but it is just the way it is for Flames management and some fans, almost is ok.

Vancouver
Arizona
Buffalo

I suppose when the franchise has a record like that under current management, ok is good enough.

I don’t think fans are ok with it
They just have a more measured reaction
Just because some fans react differently to losses doesn’t mean they have lower expectations

Aarongavey
02-22-2020, 08:02 AM
I don’t think fans are ok with it
They just have a more measured reaction
Just because some fans react differently to losses doesn’t mean they have lower expectations

I guess, one playoff victory (plus whatever this year adds to that total if the Flames make the playoffs) in five years is a pretty damning indictment on this current management group though. That is just not a great place to be in when 90 percent of your competitors have more playoff victories than your franchise over the last half decade. Whether fans are ok with it depends on ones perspective but it is hard to find quantifiable indicators of success in the last half decade.

Vinny01
02-22-2020, 08:06 AM

Vancouver
Arizona
Buffalo

How many lore wins do the Red Wings and Kong’s have. You are not including 2015 so taking a 4 year sample size correct?

Aarongavey
02-22-2020, 08:11 AM
How many lore wins do the Red Wings and Kong’s have. You are not including 2015 so taking a 4 year sample size correct?

We have the same number of playoff victories since 2015 as the Red Wings and the Kings. So I guess only 83 percent of franchise have experienced more success than us as opposed to the 90 percent I said below which was incorrect.

Yes four year sample size (then eventually plus this year)Only franchise that could pass us this year when counting since 2015 is Vancouver. I doubt Arizona makes the playoffs, they are getting into desperate math territory.

Roof-Daddy
02-22-2020, 08:12 AM
Why in the hell wasn't Laviolette named head coach during the all star break?

Was it because he wasn't offered the position or was it because he turned the Flames down?

Erick Estrada
02-22-2020, 08:27 AM
Why in the hell wasn't Laviolette named head coach during the all star break?

Was it because he wasn't offered the position or was it because he turned the Flames down?

Reading between the lines it appears his family may prefer not to move to Canada if they can avoid it. Interesting enough dating back to the mid-80's his entire playing and coaching career has been entirely in the USA.

VladtheImpaler
02-22-2020, 08:43 AM
Reading between the lines it appears his family may prefer not to move to Canada if they can avoid it. Interesting enough dating back to the mid-80's his entire playing and coaching career has been entirely in the USA.

Gallant is going to the Wings, Laviolette doesn't want to live in Canada, so I guess we are right back to Darryl as our coaching oprtion.

Vinny01
02-22-2020, 08:48 AM
We have the same number of playoff victories since 2015 as the Red Wings and the Kings. So I guess only 83 percent of franchise have experienced more success than us as opposed to the 90 percent I said below which was incorrect.

Yes four year sample size (then eventually plus this year)Only franchise that could pass us this year when counting since 2015 is Vancouver. I doubt Arizona makes the playoffs, they are getting into desperate math territory.

Yes 4 year sample size that fits your narrative I see

mrdonkey
02-22-2020, 09:06 AM

I don't want to get involved, but come on man, this is the Calgary Flames - pick any timeline you want over the last 30 years and you can count the number of teams with less playoff success on one hand.

Aarongavey
02-22-2020, 09:13 AM

Well we can include the remnants of the Feaster/Hartley era as well. Happy to update this after this year which would make it six years but since 2014 the Flames have more playoff victories than

Arizona
Vancouver
Buffalo
Minnesota
Detroit
LA
Florida
Philadelphia

3 of those teams (4 if the Wild go on a run to make the playoffs) could pass the Flames this year, but that does improve the narrative. Over the past five years the Flames have less playoff victories than 73 percent of the league. The very definition of a franchise that is knocking on the door of being almost good. It is too bad that Maloney and BT have been unable to match the playoff success they experienced in Arizona in Calgary.

SportsJunky
02-22-2020, 09:14 AM
I was just reading that Bruce Cassidy called Calgary's boards "the liveliest in the NHL".

Thought that was interesting.

rooster
02-22-2020, 09:22 AM

I expect him to improve his skating in the offseason. He can't keep up with a lot of guys.
Monohan must have been sick. He looked terribly slow as well.

Toonage
02-22-2020, 09:24 AM
Feels like at the end of every season we're left wondering if Monahan is sick or injured. One year he most definitely was. The others? Somewhat surprisingly, no.

Vinny01
02-22-2020, 09:31 AM
Well we can include the remnants of the Feaster/Hartley era as well. Happy to update this after this year which would make it six years but since 2014 the Flames have more playoff victories than

Arizona
Vancouver
Buffalo
Minnesota
Detroit
LA
Florida
Philadelphia

3 of those teams (4 if the Wild go on a run to make the playoffs) could pass the Flames this year, but that does improve the narrative. Over the past five years the Flames have less playoff victories than 73 percent of the league. The very definition of a franchise that is knocking on the door of being almost good. It is too bad that Maloney and BT have been unable to match the playoff success they experienced in Arizona in Calgary.

Yes the team had struggled the last 2 times they made the playoffs.

You keep talking about teams passing the Flames this year but CALGARY could pass a lot of teams this year as well.

Get this! The Calgary Flames won more playoff games last year than 19 teams or 61% of the league. They won more than Sidney Crosby and Connor McDavid combined!!!

The above is tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be serious but anyone can use history to try and spin something to fit their narrative. I think if the team misses the playoffs altogether or gets spanked in round 1 again we will have l long time to talk about how garbage the team is.

For now I plan to enjoy the playoff race, see what happens by Monday and hope this team can finish strong down the stretch

Erick Estrada
02-22-2020, 09:35 AM
Gallant is going to the Wings, Laviolette doesn't want to live in Canada, so I guess we are right back to Darryl as our coaching oprtion.

Well Bruce Boudreau would be a nice consolation prize but Treliving passed on him once to hire Gulutzan so my faith is pretty low that he actually knows what a really good NHL head coach looks like.

Vinny01
02-22-2020, 09:36 AM
I don't want to get involved, but come on man, this is the Calgary Flames - pick any timeline you want over the last 30 years and you can count the number of teams with less playoff success on one hand.

I know man you always talk about bad they have been for 30 year’s. Do yourself a favor and just stop cheering for the team and maybe you won’t complain every chance you can? Try and new sport cheer for the Yankees in baseball, the Patriots in the NFL and it looks like now you can jump back on the Lakers bandwagon in basketball.

These are franchises that win a lot of championships so you might be happier doing that?

We cheer for a small market western Canadian team. Calgary has been mediocre for 30 years. Vancouver has not won in their 50 year history, Edmonton has been the joke of the league for the better part of 15 years. Winnipeg has never made a cup final. Part of it is lack of patience, part of it is the fact players would rather not play here than cities in the states.

The league is about to expand to 32 teams. Calgary’s chances don’t get any easier moving forward.

Aarongavey
02-22-2020, 09:37 AM
Yes the team had struggled the last 2 times they made the playoffs.

You keep talking about teams passing the Flames this year but CALGARY could pass a lot of teams this year as well.

Get this! The Calgary Flames won more playoff games last year than 19 teams or 61% of the league. They won more than Sidney Crosby and Con or McDavid combined!!!!

The above is tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be serious but anyone can use history to try and spin something to fit their narrative. I think if the team misses the playoffs altogether or gets spanked in round 1 again we will have l long time to talk about how garbage the team is.

For now I plan to enjoy the playoff race, see what happens by Monday and hope this team can finish strong down the stretch

Last year was a successful playoff run, I will grant you that.

I too am hoping that they make the playoffs and go deep this year. I am also hoping they sell at the deadline just like the last time they had a very successful playoff run.

Erick Estrada
02-22-2020, 09:41 AM
Feels like at the end of every season we're left wondering if Monahan is sick or injured. One year he most definitely was. The others? Somewhat surprisingly, no.

I think he's just a really good 2nd line center that's miscast in a 1st line role. He does one thing well and that finish around the net but when he's not doing that he has little impact on a game. The reality is that the biggest flaw with this team is that they simply lack a 1st line center that can impact games himself. Gaudreau is a really good LW but it's a lot to expect a small player to carry the offensive burden when he has to carry his center on his back.

The team is probably going to trade Gaudreau this summer but I really don't see the fortunes of the team changing much as long as Monahan is centering the first line.

rooster
02-22-2020, 09:42 AM

One more reason Alberta should dump Quebec and the Trudo lovers forever and join USA!!!

taxbuster
02-22-2020, 09:51 AM
One more reason Alberta should dump Quebec and the Trudo lovers forever and join USA!!!

No. Just no. As in NO.

Toonage
02-22-2020, 09:54 AM
Also felt bad for Elias Lindholm yesterday. All those comparisons to Bergeron in the media prior to the game. Some unexpected pressure dumped on his back right before puck drop.

mrdonkey
02-22-2020, 09:55 AM

9/10 ****posting. Next time try to include the term 'snowflakes.'

btimbit
02-22-2020, 09:56 AM
9/10 ****posting. Next time try to include the term 'snowflakes.'

Bonus credit if libtard was tossed in too

Jiri Hrdina
02-22-2020, 10:18 AM
I guess, one playoff victory (plus whatever this year adds to that total if the Flames make the playoffs) in five years is a pretty damning indictment on this current management group though. That is just not a great place to be in when 90 percent of your competitors have more playoff victories than your franchise over the last half decade. Whether fans are ok with it depends on ones perspective but it is hard to find quantifiable indicators of success in the last half decade.

Yeah this franchise has sucked
I don’t think I claimed otherwise

dissentowner
02-22-2020, 10:35 AM

Get this political crap outta here

dissentowner
02-22-2020, 10:37 AM
I think he's just a really good 2nd line center that's miscast in a 1st line role. He does one thing well and that finish around the net but when he's not doing that he has little impact on a game. The reality is that the biggest flaw with this team is that they simply lack a 1st line center that can impact games himself. Gaudreau is a really good LW but it's a lot to expect a small player to carry the offensive burden when he has to carry his center on his back.

The team is probably going to trade Gaudreau this summer but I really don't see the fortunes of the team changing much as long as Monahan is centering the first line.

I hope they keep Johnny and get an extension done. I think Monahan is the core piece that should go. He is too slow and useless when he is not scoring. He doesn't have another gear.

Inglewood Jack
02-22-2020, 10:53 AM
I hope they keep Johnny and get an extension done. I think Monahan is the core piece that should go. He is too slow and useless when he is not scoring. He doesn't have another gear.

Can’t be called a giveaway machine if you never carry the puck to begin with

https://media.tenor.com/images/faa29b83e2ec0aba077cd88cc53e3e03/tenor.gif

djsFlames
02-22-2020, 11:00 AM
It's hard to defend Monahan lately.

I get sometimes confidence is lacking but the guy seems more resigned than working to turn it around. We cant have him being invisible and getting dominated in big games, if he's working on being a better 200 foot center then he should be able to stem the tide a little better in those matchups.

I have more faith in Gaudreau making an impact from what I've seen through all this team adversity.

Maybe something lateral like Monahan for Reinhart is worth making calls about. Some kind of core transplant probably has to be made by the off season and I'm hesitant to put Gaudreau at the forefront of that when we would in all likelihood lose that trade.

Love
02-22-2020, 11:08 AM

how are y'all just coming to this conclusion...

TheScorpion
02-22-2020, 11:23 AM
how are y'all just coming to this conclusion...

they should change your username to "Sanctimonahan"

Calgary4LIfe
02-22-2020, 11:25 AM
If you look at this game, nobody is 'angry' that the Flames lost to the Bruins. For the most part, they did play well. Some players didn't look like they were performing, however. Still fine considering that the Flames played well over-all. There was a lot of good things that happened in that game - effort level, some individual contributions, Bennett still looking good as the 3rd line centre... There really isn't much to complain at all about in losing to the Bruins. They are the elite team in the NHL this year.

What people are fed up with is:
- Even being spotted a 2 goal lead, Flames were unable to lock it down at all
- Yet another loss at home
- Yet more defensive breakdowns
- Flames look like they are losing their playoff position

I think it was a fairly good overall game and effort for the Flames, and you just have to move onto the next one.

Aside from the game, what I don't like is that after 7 years of rebuilding, this team not only isn't a contender, but they are no better than a bubble team. I think coaching has been an issue over these years, but there is more than ample room to put some blame on the roster itself. GMs (Feaster, Burke and Treliving), Coaches and players.

That's why I hope that the Flames are not buyers - at the very least, not for rentals. A team should never buy a rental just to make the playoffs. It is robbing from Peter to pay Paul.

I am ok with anything else. Standing pat. Player for player trades. Selling.

I expect a lot of change in the off-season. All I wished for this deadline was a 'hockey trade' involving Hamonic who I really don't want the Flames to re-sign, but his injury has put a stop to that wish.

I will cheer them on, and I will be hopeful for the best, but I am preparing myself for the Flames to miss the playoffs. Flames are 4-6-0 in their last 10. There are no more 'good losses' left in the schedule like tonight's game where they enjoyed a 2 goal lead. Did they play well? Sure. But they lost the game and are 4-6-0 in their last 10, are clinging to the last playoff spot and have Nashville and Minnesota with 2 games in hand and 2 and 3 points respectively behind the Flames.

It is a weird season as the Flames are just 4 points back on first in the division, but that's a pipe dream with Vegas being 7-2-1. Edmonton has a better record in their last 10, even with McDavid out. Vancouver is playing mediocre, so we will see.

Time is running out, and there are no more 'good losses' against any team, especially if the Flames find themselves ahead in a game.

This will be a very interesting trade deadline for the Flames.

GranteedEV
02-22-2020, 11:43 AM
I don’t know what this means.

Expected goals percentage.

Brodie-Stone got caved in and yet got all the minutes.
Kylington-Brodie were absolutely suffocatingly dominant and it was an afterthought, probably only to keep Yelesin on the bench.

Stone sucks, Brodie on the left sucks, so we keep em together.

Zulu29
02-22-2020, 12:06 PM
If you look at this game, nobody is 'angry' that the Flames lost to the Bruins. For the most part, they did play well. Some players didn't look like they were performing, however. Still fine considering that the Flames played well over-all. There was a lot of good things that happened in that game - effort level, some individual contributions, Bennett still looking good as the 3rd line centre... There really isn't much to complain at all about in losing to the Bruins. They are the elite team in the NHL this year.

What people are fed up with is:
- Even being spotted a 2 goal lead, Flames were unable to lock it down at all
- Yet another loss at home
- Yet more defensive breakdowns
- Flames look like they are losing their playoff position

I think it was a fairly good overall game and effort for the Flames, and you just have to move onto the next one.

Aside from the game, what I don't like is that after 7 years of rebuilding, this team not only isn't a contender, but they are no better than a bubble team. I think coaching has been an issue over these years, but there is more than ample room to put some blame on the roster itself. GMs (Feaster, Burke and Treliving), Coaches and players.

That's why I hope that the Flames are not buyers - at the very least, not for rentals. A team should never buy a rental just to make the playoffs. It is robbing from Peter to pay Paul.

I am ok with anything else. Standing pat. Player for player trades. Selling.

I expect a lot of change in the off-season. All I wished for this deadline was a 'hockey trade' involving Hamonic who I really don't want the Flames to re-sign, but his injury has put a stop to that wish.

I will cheer them on, and I will be hopeful for the best, but I am preparing myself for the Flames to miss the playoffs. Flames are 4-6-0 in their last 10. There are no more 'good losses' left in the schedule like tonight's game where they enjoyed a 2 goal lead. Did they play well? Sure. But they lost the game and are 4-6-0 in their last 10, are clinging to the last playoff spot and have Nashville and Minnesota with 2 games in hand and 2 and 3 points respectively behind the Flames.

It is a weird season as the Flames are just 4 points back on first in the division, but that's a pipe dream with Vegas being 7-2-1. Edmonton has a better record in their last 10, even with McDavid out. Vancouver is playing mediocre, so we will see.

Time is running out, and there are no more 'good losses' against any team, especially if the Flames find themselves ahead in a game.

This will be a very interesting trade deadline for the Flames.

I expect this to be a very boring deadline for the Flames. We aren’t good enough to buy, aren’t bad enough to sell. I have a feeling that the team we have is the team that will have to make a push for a playoff spot.

GranteedEV
02-22-2020, 12:15 PM
We aren’t good enough to buy, aren’t bad enough to sell.

We're 20th in a 31 team league. I think that's bad enough to sell if the ultimate goal is to build a contender.

Zulu29
02-22-2020, 12:17 PM
We're 20th in a 31 team league. I think that's bad enough to sell if the ultimate goal is to build a contender.

I agree, but given our injury situation and being in a wild card spot for the time being it puts us in a tough spot.

Manhattanboy
02-22-2020, 03:29 PM
Funny how quickly expectations change.

We almost beat the best team in the league.

A year ago a win on home ice against BOS would have been expected. We were supposedly an elite team heading into the playoffs.

A year later and it’s back to accepting mediocrity as the norm.

Prove me wrong Tre and make big changes this summer.

Roof-Daddy
02-22-2020, 03:41 PM

A year ago a win on home ice against BOS would have been expected. We were supposedly an elite team heading into the playoffs.

Exactly.

Flames organization has lowered the bar back down to the point where we're supposed to be thrilled with moral victories again.

Yay! We gave an actual elite team a run for their money on home ice and didn't get embarrassed!

Well whoopty doo

blankall
02-22-2020, 05:45 PM
I actually really liked the push back from the flames in the throes despite the loss. The bruins are arguably the best team in the league. While the flames didn't score, they did have the bruins on their heels for the last half of the third.

The flames are missing their #1 dman. With Giordano back things could actually start to look pretty good.

DazzlinDino
02-22-2020, 06:15 PM

There is a reason we are saying..., "almost beat the best team in the league" Too often we are either not the hardest working team, or the team is just too inconsistent.

I_H8_Crawford
02-22-2020, 10:05 PM
So the Bruins roll through Western Canada and the flames are the only team to not get at least a point from them.

But darn, the flames played well at least!

AustinL_NHL
02-22-2020, 10:50 PM
So the Bruins roll through Western Canada and the flames are the only team to not get at least a point from them.

But darn, the flames played well at least!

The Canucks dominated and beat the best team in the NHL 9-3. Better gift them the Cup.

The Oilers got a point and only held the best team in the NHL to 2 goals.

But at least the Flames only lost by one to the best team in the NHL so we should all be happy and bow down to our players because they put in a solid effort

TheScorpion
02-22-2020, 11:02 PM
Sure the loss to Boston was disappointing but at least the Flames didn't lose to the Stockton Heat Zamboni driver

AustinL_NHL
02-22-2020, 11:13 PM
Sure the loss to Boston was disappointing but at least the Flames didn't lose to the Stockton Heat Zamboni driver

David Ayres is a god damn legend and I would be honored to lose to him

timbit
02-22-2020, 11:20 PM
David Ayres is a god damn legend and I would be honored to lose to him

If you move to Toronto and join the right industrial/ recreational league, that might happen.

GioforPM
02-22-2020, 11:47 PM
The Canucks dominated and beat the best team in the NHL 9-3. Better gift them the Cup.

But at least the Flames only lost by one to the best team in the NHL so we should all be happy and bow down to our players because they put in a solid effort

No one was happy. No one said “bow down”. All anyone said was, “good effort”. Which it was.

djsFlames
02-23-2020, 03:42 AM
The Oilers and Canucks just didn't have the defensive lapses the Flames did in a short span early on which cost them.

They tightened up, but it was bleeding away those leads early on that did them in.

A 5 man commitment to defense the rest of the way is what's going to make or break the season. Offense seems to be at least adequate enough from night to night now.

Vinny01
02-23-2020, 08:55 AM

The Flames had the Bruins done early Friday and let it slip away before the first period ended. Boston is certainly not playing their best allowing the short handed Oilers get a point and the Canucks to dominate.

Flames let one slip there hopefully they can get revenge when the Bruins play them returning from their lengthy road trip