PDA

View Full Version : [Trade] Ducks trade Ondrej Kase to Boston for Backes (25% retained), 1st, and Axel Andersson

sureLoss
02-21-2020, 10:40 AM
Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun
Hearing Ondrej Kase being traded to Boston

Eric Stephens @icemancometh
Can confirm

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Assuming this gets finalized as expected, David Backes will be a piece of the package going back to ANA for Kase.

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
Believe #nhlbruins are sending a first-round pick to #nhlducks, along with David Backes (1 year left at $6M) as part of deal for Ondrej Kase.

Believe the full deal is Ondrej Kase to BOS for 1st-round pick, David Backes and prospect Axel Andersson.

Also important to note: the Bruins are retaining 25 percent of Backes’ remaining contract. So the Ducks are only on the hook for about $3 M in real dollars next season on that contract.

GranteedEV
02-21-2020, 10:42 AM
oh piss off. I wanted him

Bonded
Interesting. Backes + 1st for Kase?

getoverit
Ugghhhhh

sureLoss
02-21-2020, 10:46 AM
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Assuming this gets finalized as expected, David Backes will be a piece of the package going back to ANA for Kase.

Believe #nhlbruins are sending a first-round pick to #nhlducks, along with David Backes (1 year left at $6M) as part of deal for Ondrej Kase.

Aarongavey
02-21-2020, 10:47 AM
I suspect Brad was in the hunt on this one but it just did not make sense for the Flames. The one thing we know for sure is that he is looking around for deals that make sense.

foofighter15
02-21-2020, 10:48 AM
Well....can't wait to find out who else we'll be close to landing but see go somewhere else.

KootenayFlamesFan
I like Kase. At least he's going out East. Nice trade for the Bruins, the 1st stings but when you move a big contract you gotta pay for it.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
I suspect Brad was in the hunt on this one but it just did not make sense for the Flames. The one thing we know for sure is that he is looking around for deals that make sense.
Lol. Well in fairness I'm sure Anahiem is much happier sending this player outside of the division, so Brad would have likely had to pay a steeper price to land him would be my guess, to the point that it likely wouldn't make sense.

TheIronMaiden
Boston is going to win the cup this year.

topfiverecords
02-21-2020, 10:49 AM
Glad he's going out east and for a late first.

Toonage
This take the Bruins out of the Kreider sweeps?

Colorado it is then

sureLoss
Also a prospect going to the Ducks

First round pick, David Backes and a prospect to Anaheim

Believe the full deal is Ondrej Kase to BOS for 1st-round pick, David Backes and prospect Axel Andersson.

getoverit
Doesn’t sting at all. Basically a second round pick considering Boston’s ranking

I like Kase. At least he's going out East. Nice trade for the Bruins, the 1st stings but when you move a big contract you gotta pay for it.

KootenayFlamesFan
02-21-2020, 10:50 AM

There's also a chance that the Ducks didn't want to move him to a team in the West if offers they got were similar.

Vansmack
02-21-2020, 10:50 AM
That seems like a pretty good deal for Boston. The leafs traded Marleau + Conditional 1st + 7th to Carolina for a 6th.

GranteedEV
02-21-2020, 10:51 AM
Boston is going to win the cup this year.

I'd put my money on Colorado, but of course it's tough to predict.

KootenayFlamesFan
02-21-2020, 10:51 AM
Doesn’t still at all. Basically a second round pick onsidering Boston’s ranking

True, it will be a very late 1st. But it's a good draft year, that pick will still be a very good player.

Vansmack
02-21-2020, 10:52 AM
I wonder if he dresses tonight for the Bruins.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
Doesn’t sting at all. Basically a second round pick considering Boston’s ranking
Why are 1st round and 2nd round picks only super valuable assets around here if we are talking about the Flames picks? Another team gives up a first and everyone starts Seinfelding the assets: "we'll really it's more like a 2nd round pick than a first...........a 3rd actually if you look at it practically"

dissentowner
I'd put my money on Colorado, but of course it's tough to predict.

I expect that is where Kovalchuk ends up.

sureLoss
So could look at it as a 1st to dump Backes and Axelsson (2nd 2018 57th OA) for Kase.

Could see Ducks buyout Backes in the summer which will cost them $2 million in cash.

topfiverecords
I wonder if he dresses tonight for the Bruins.

Zero chance.

Bonded
02-21-2020, 10:53 AM
Axel Andersson is an amazing hockey name, right up there with Greg McKegg

Nelson
Shoot. He was the guy I was hoping for if the Flames were gonna trade for anyone.

HighLifeMan
Treliving dropped the ball once again.

What a deal for Boston. Dumping Backes alone is easily worth the late 1st for them.

Jiri Hrdina
I don't know what the equivalent deal from the Flames even would have been.

Royle9
Bruins are rumored to be in on Krieder as well.. they look scary deep if that happens.

Bonded
02-21-2020, 10:54 AM

I am all for dumping on Tre because he hasn't done much but how did he drop the ball on this one?

Jiri Hrdina

What a deal for Boston. Dumping Backes alone is easily worth the late 1st for them.

What's the equivalent deal from the Flames.
Did you want BT to trade a 1st for Ondrej Kase?

mrdonkey
Why are 1st round and 2nd round picks only super valuable assets around here if we are talking about the Flames picks? Another team gives up a first and everyone starts Seinfelding the assets: "we'll really it's more like a 2nd round pick than a first...........a 3rd actually if you look at it practically"

Because the Flames could still easily end up with a top 10-15 pick. It’s a lot easier to give up 1st and 2nd rounders when they’re low and the team is good.

Remember giving up the Noah Dobson pick for a few mediocre years of Hamonic? Or all those 2nd rounders for nobodies.

GranteedEV
02-21-2020, 10:55 AM

If Lucic were going with him, and it were top 10 protected, I'd consider it.

Roof-Daddy

Not only that but the Flames 1st is way more valuable than the Bruins 1st, barring some sort of miracle.

dissentowner

1st plus Lucic plus Kylington?

sureLoss
02-21-2020, 10:56 AM
Also important to note: the Bruins are retaining 25 percent of Backes’ remaining contract. So the Ducks are only on the hook for about $3 M in real dollars next season on that contract.

Jiri Hrdina
02-21-2020, 10:57 AM

Sure but that's a lot different. Lucic is signed through 2022/2023 and is a tough buyout. Backes only has next season remaining and therefore can be bought out for a reasonable amount.

Bonded
02-21-2020, 10:57 AM
Yeah, but Lucic's contract is about 3 times worse, so I doubt the Duck's would have bit on that one

sureLoss
02-21-2020, 10:58 AM
Bruins are rumored to be in on Krieder as well.. they look scary deep if that happens.

Seems the Kreider deal would be pretty hard for the Bruins to do now without a 1st.

GioforPM
02-21-2020, 10:58 AM

Lucic has more years on his contract. You'd have to give even more. Plus, I see that Boston is retaining 25%.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
02-21-2020, 10:59 AM
Because the Flames could still easily end up with a top 10-15 pick. It’s a lot easier to give up 1st and 2nd rounders when they’re low and the team is good.

Remember giving up the Noah Dobson pick for a few mediocre years of Hamonic? Or all those 2nd rounders for nobodies.
I understand that, but the point is this site will talk out of both sides of their mouths on it:

- Flames don't make this deal (which btw I don't even think would have been offered to us without a massive over payment because I'm sure the Ducks preferred out of division out of conference) and BT dropped the ball and should have been willing to part with the necessary assets to do it.

- Flames do make this deal and he's an idiot for giving up what could be a 10-15 pick in a deep draft year.

The cherry picking arguments that go on in here so that whatever does get done or doesn't get done to back up peoples desire to say BT is failing is just so painful.

Icon
good pickup for the B's. Big upgrade for that 2nd line.

TheIronMaiden

Well for two reasons mostly.

1) Boston has drafted in the first round 7 times in the last 5 years. The Flames have drafted in the first round 3 times in the last five years.

2) If the playoffs start today Bostons pick would be 29th at earliest. The Flames pick 13th at earliest. The difference in calibre of player ( in this draft specifically) is very high).

transplant99
02-21-2020, 11:00 AM
That is a steep price..Andersson certainly isnt just a throw in piece.

Gives the Bruins something they need though and they are obviously in win-now mode. Makes sense for them at that level.

really glad BT didnt pay that sort of price for a relatively unproven guy.

HighLifeMan

We don't have a comparable contract dump to Backes. I would gladly trade a 2nd + for Kase alone though. He checks all the boxes we need and want as an organization. The retention in this deal makes things a little closer, which i didn't initially see.

Flash Walken

There is no equivalent deal from the flames IMO.

Saqe
02-21-2020, 11:02 AM
So Anaheim gets:

First rounder for Backes

Andersson for Kase

Flash Walken
02-21-2020, 11:02 AM
Carrying a 6 million dollar anchor probably cost Boston the cup last year, so lesson learned I guess.

Geeoff
02-21-2020, 11:05 AM
Hmmm I would've given up 2nd+prospect+no bad contract

But I guess Anaheim doesn't foresee themselves needing the cap space

Dan403
02-21-2020, 11:05 AM

Hell no. That was a huge payment.

TheIronMaiden
02-21-2020, 11:07 AM
So Anaheim gets:

First rounder for Backes

Andersson for Kase

More like 1st for Kase

Andersson to lesson the blow of taking Backes.

Geeoff
02-21-2020, 11:07 AM
Anyway, Kase was a 7th round pick... That is some nice asset management by the Ducks 0_O

SuperMatt18
02-21-2020, 11:10 AM
I don't get this for the Ducks.

That not a good return for them to take on Backes contract, while also shipping out Kase.

1st and 2nd (equivalent) to take on a cap dump and Kase. That's horrible.

Edit: I didn't realize Backes only had 1 year left on that contract, could have sworn it was longer and closer to the length of Lucic's deal.

united
02-21-2020, 11:10 AM
...that's it?!

Wonderful deal for the Bruins, picking up a legitimate middle-six right wing signed to a reasonable deal that expires with the team still having rights control. Kase will fit in very nicely with that Bruins team and should be a fixture in their top six next season, if not this season, and going forward.

A very late first-round pick, probably their ~15th-rated prospect who has kind of stalled in development, and ditching an albatross contract that is on the books for next year too.

Marvelous deal by Don Sweeney. Thankfully Kase moves east before his true breakout.

HighLifeMan
02-21-2020, 11:12 AM
Hell no. That was a huge payment.

I don't agree. They essentially traded Andersson (a mid second rounder from 2018) for Kase. Even with retention Backes is a 4.5M dollar cap dump for the remainder of this year and next and as we all know cap space is a seriously important commodity in the game today. We saw the price Toronto had to pay to free up space with Marleau.

It's a no brainer trade for Boston. Kase is a tenacious, cost controlled, defensively responsible, playdriving right winger that can score 20-25 goals. He is a risk solely due to his injuries. He fits that team and system to a T.

TheIronMaiden
02-21-2020, 11:13 AM
It is important to note that Kase is not a sure thing. He has yet to play an entire NHL season.

loob job
02-21-2020, 11:16 AM
Not sure why people have a hard on for Kase, i wouldn't give up much to get a guy who is on pace for 38 points this year as a 24 year old. He has similar numbers as Dillon Dube this year who is 21.
49 games 7 goals 16 assists
Dube has 36 games 5 goals 10 assists.
Glad we didn't give up a lot to get him.

Toonage
02-21-2020, 11:17 AM
Look at it this way. He'd be a top 6 in Calgary. He's a depth piece in Boston.

TheIronMaiden
02-21-2020, 11:22 AM
Axel Andersson, RHD, 19 (Moncton Wildcats)

Because Jordan Spence runs Moncton’s first power play unit, Andersson’s ability to put up big numbers in his first QMJHL season have been limited. The strength of his game is his passing. Andersson sees the ice really well, has enough patience to wait for seams to open and handles the puck well. While he doesn’t have game-breaking offensive upside, he plays an efficient game at both ends. I’ll be keeping a close eye on his progression this season because he’ll get to play in some high pressure situations on a Wildcats team that has what it takes to win the Memorial Cup. He’ll need to take some big steps to go from intriguing to something more than that, though.

https://theathletic.com/1464556/2020/01/14/wheelers-2020-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings-no-30-boston-bruins/?article_source=search&search_text

“He’s still young and looks like a young kid,” said Bruins player development coordinator Jamie Langenbrunner. “He played in the second division in Sweden and had a little bit of a rough start offensively, probably trying (not) to make a mistake. He played in the pros as an 18-year-old and you’re going to be a little bit cautious, and he was.”

https://theathletic.com/1049432/2019/06/26/in-axel-andersson-the-bruins-have-a-prospect-who-has-lots-of-room-to-grow/?article_source=search&search_text

TheScorpion
02-21-2020, 11:23 AM
I assume Backes will play for the Ducks?

GioforPM
02-21-2020, 11:25 AM
Not sure why people have a hard on for Kase, i wouldn't give up much to get a guy who is on pace for 38 points this year as a 24 year old. He has similar numbers as Dillon Dube this year who is 21.
49 games 7 goals 16 assists
Dube has 36 games 5 goals 10 assists.
Glad we didn't give up a lot to get him.

Probably because he's shown in the past that he can score 20 goals in a shortened season. RHS doesn't hurt his cause in this league either.

The concussion issues are a huge concern.

btimbit
02-21-2020, 11:27 AM
Damn that's not a bad move at all. 1st and prospect seems like a lot for Kase but dumping Backes is huuuuge

Anduril
02-21-2020, 11:28 AM
Leafs paid a first for Carolina to buy out Marleau.

Boston does the same for Backes (even with 25% retained), give up a prospect and get a year+ of Kase.

What

Jacks
Bruins didn't make Backes report to the AHL out of loyalty, wonder if the Ducks tell him to report. If he doesn't then terminate the contract, if he does then buy him out in the summer.

bax
Look at it this way. He'd be a top 6 in Calgary. He's a depth piece in Boston.

Sounds like the plan is to start him with Debrusk and Krejci on the second line.

N-E-B
02-21-2020, 11:29 AM
I’m not opposed to the Flames making a move but Kase, IMO, was not someone they should have been targeting. Not upset they didn’t get him.

FlamesAddiction
02-21-2020, 11:34 AM
That is some pretty good asset management by the Ducks essentially turning a 2014 7th into a 2020 1st rounder.

Kase has shown more upside than an average 7th rounder, but given his injury history, it is probably a wash.

Toonage
Sounds like the plan is to start him with Debrusk and Krejci on the second line.

Makes sense. I guess my point is that they can move him up and down that lineup. A deep team paid a decent price to make their roster better up and down. People asking why they did that for a guy with injury history/hasn't played a full year etc. That fear isn't there with Boston. It might be here.

Anduril
I’m not opposed to the Flames making a move but Kase, IMO, was not someone they should have been targeting. Not upset they didn’t get him.A 24 year old RW RHS with another year on their contract at 2.6m and is still an RFA after, has a history of being a two way guy both scoring at a 20g pace and relentless on ice forechecking is NOT somebody to be targeting?

Bonded
02-21-2020, 11:38 AM
A 24 year old RW RHS with another year on their contract at 2.6m and is still an RFA after, has a history of being a two way guy both scoring at a 20g pace and relentless on ice forechecking is NOT somebody to be targeting?
I could see teams being leery of the injury history. I also doubt the Ducks would have sent Kase to Flames for a 2nd

TheIronMaiden
02-21-2020, 11:38 AM
A 24 year old RW RHS with another year on their contract at 2.6m and is still an RFA after, has a history of being a two way guy both scoring at a 20g pace and relentless on ice forechecking is NOT somebody to be targeting?

I am sure the Flames targetted him, but what people seem to forget is that because there is a deal for the Bruins doesn't mean that there is a deal for the Flames. There are lots of reasons why the Ducks wouldn't trade Kase within the Pacific Division. There is alomost certainly an out of conference discount.

agulati
02-21-2020, 11:40 AM
I’m glad he was traded out East. Kase will probably do well in the Bruins setup. I guess they are out of the Kreidwe sweepstakes.

Psytic
02-21-2020, 11:43 AM
Meh I wouldn't have done it if I were the Flames. The guy is getting close to Ferland levels of head injury. Definently not for a 1st.

1qqaaz
02-21-2020, 11:47 AM
Boston wins this trade big time. In fact I think this is the most one-sided trade in the NHL in a while.

Kase is a bona fide top 6 forward with a good contract and some term left
Backes had a lot of negative value, this is big cap dump even with retention
The first might be about as late as it gets
The prospect is nothing special

Anduril
02-21-2020, 11:49 AM
Carolina buying out Marleau - 3m bonus signing, .833m over 2 years so effectively 3.8m real money and 6.25 on the cap for that season (which doesn't really matter to them)

Ducks buying out Backes @25% - 1m bonus signing, 2m over 2 years with boston taking 25% of the 3m total cost (750k) meaning 2.25m real money and 3.75 cap hit.

Chances are some of the 1st goes into getting Kase and part of why the Ducks took this deal in the end. I do think it's a nice pickup by both teams because they managed to get value out of it in different ways.

Hey Connor, It's Mess
02-21-2020, 11:53 AM
Kase has term and will be an RFA. This is the most they could get for him?

Now the Bruins will win the cup and Backes will miss out again.

Saqe
02-21-2020, 11:57 AM
Kase seems to get overvalued here. He had one good season and since then has been injured a lot. He may end up being totally irrelevant for Boston like he has been this year for Anaheim. He's a lot closer to a 0.5 PPG, 10-15 goal player than a 20 goal, 50 point one.

Flash Walken
02-21-2020, 11:57 AM
I assume Backes will play for the Ducks?

I doubt it, but maybe.

More likely he gets bought out. ~3 million for a 1st rounder is about the going rate established in the marleau deal.

They might send him to robidas island.

Flash Walken
02-21-2020, 11:59 AM
Leafs paid a first for Carolina to buy out Marleau.

Boston does the same for Backes (even with 25% retained), give up a prospect and get a year+ of Kase.

What

The difference is marlwau was on a 35+ contract so his cap hit still counted.

TheScorpion
02-21-2020, 12:00 PM
I doubt it, but maybe.

More likely he gets bought out. ~3 million for a 1st rounder is about the going rate established in the marleau deal.

They might send him to robidas island.

For the rest of this season, though, I don't necessarily see the harm in giving him some games to see if he fits in with the team. They can't exactly buy him out right now.

Flash Walken
02-21-2020, 12:04 PM
For the rest of this season, though, I don't necessarily see the harm in giving him some games to see if he fits in with the team. They can't exactly buy him out right now.

If he gets significantly hurt they can't buy him out.

He may very well play, but this is a trade for purposes of a buyout imo, so there is risk in having him suit up.

Vinny01
02-21-2020, 12:10 PM
Not sure how good this prospect is but this is a good deal for both teams. Could be a great deal for the Bruins if Kase can kick the injury bug because he can be a solid top 6 for them.

Good on the Ducks for getting a 1st for an injury prone player and taking back Backes in a rebuild is no issue.

Flamenspiel
02-21-2020, 12:38 PM
Well I guess this answers the question that kept popping up of “why would they trade Kase?”.

So really most of the contenders have made their move. That leaves only the Avalanche and Stars. I wonder if Treliving is waiting to be the last buyer.

dammage79
02-21-2020, 12:39 PM
Kase was/is on IR during this trade. Now I think hammer could be moved. Anything is possible.

Anduril
02-21-2020, 12:42 PM
Kase was/is on IR during this trade. Now I think hammer could be moved. Anything is possible.Injured players could always be traded IIRC. Just becomes a matter of whether the team trading for them is comfortable with it.

Geeoff
02-21-2020, 12:42 PM
Kase was/is on IR during this trade. Now I think hammer could be moved. Anything is possible.
From what I read he was "sick", not injured. Or probably, they were holding him out to trade him.

Textcritic
02-21-2020, 12:46 PM
No. It's not. Andrei Kase is scheduled to return to game action within days. Hamonic is not even certain to play again until April. There is an enormous difference here.

topfiverecords
02-21-2020, 12:46 PM
He was sick of playing for the Ducks.

SuperMatt18
02-21-2020, 12:48 PM

Other difference is even if Kase doesn't play I feel like the Bruins might make this trade just to get rid of Backes contract.

FeastersBouwmeesters
02-21-2020, 01:02 PM
#### Brad Treliving. Useless piece of #### GM

bax
02-21-2020, 01:05 PM

????

Burning Beard
02-21-2020, 01:06 PM

Great post. Would read again. 10 out of 10.
:rolleyes:

Toonage
02-21-2020, 01:07 PM
Wheel.....of.....fortune!

btimbit
02-21-2020, 01:11 PM

I don't get it

Burning Beard
02-21-2020, 01:15 PM
I don't get it
Treliving must have ran over his dog on the way to work this morning.

flamesfan55
02-21-2020, 01:17 PM
I don't get it

Clearly either do they.

manwiches
02-21-2020, 01:51 PM
My buddy who's a huge Ducks fan just trolled me with a Manson for Lucic + 2nd.

I had a minor heart attack and had to check CP and twitter to fact check. lol

Flash Walken
02-21-2020, 01:53 PM
My buddy who's a huge Ducks fan just trolled me with a Manson for Lucic + 2nd.

I had a minor heart attack and had to check CP and twitter to fact check. lol

Dave Manson maybe.

Drake
02-21-2020, 04:49 PM
I think the trade also means a Krug extension is incoming...

AC
02-21-2020, 05:27 PM
Treliving must have ran over his dog on the way to work this morning.

"Well, he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog."

"You did?"

"Replace the word 'kinda' with the word 'repeatedly', and the word 'dog' with 'son'."

Burning Beard
02-21-2020, 06:06 PM
"Well, he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog."

"You did?"

"Replace the word 'kinda' with the word 'repeatedly', and the word 'dog' with 'son'."

Hahaha originally I was going to post that clip but alas I was at work and a client came in

topfiverecords
02-21-2020, 06:10 PM
Does Treliving drive a GM?

sureLoss
02-21-2020, 06:45 PM
LeBrun says Calgary and Carolina showed real interest in Kase.

https://theathletic.com/1626195/2020/02/21/lebrun-the-kase-price-ottawas-pageau-options-and-the-jets-underrated-moves/?source=shared-article

He also says Treliving tried on Dillon and Toffoli

N-E-B
02-21-2020, 06:47 PM

I’m worried about the injuries and the asking price, not necessarily the quality of Kase as a player.

JurassicTunga12
02-21-2020, 06:47 PM
LeBrun says Calgary and Carolina showed real interest in Kase.

https://theathletic.com/1626195/2020/02/21/lebrun-the-kase-price-ottawas-pageau-options-and-the-jets-underrated-moves/?source=shared-article

He also says Treliving tried on Dillon and Toffoli

Geez.
Treliving is due to hit one out of the park at this point.

Strange Brew
02-21-2020, 06:51 PM
Geez.
Treliving is due to hit one out of the park at this point.

He wins the UFA bidding wars though.

Anduril
02-21-2020, 07:19 PM
I’m worried about the injuries and the asking price, not necessarily the quality of Kase as a player.Taking the Backes factor out, it'd probably be some combination of a 2nd or mid tier prospect.