PDA

View Full Version : Feb 16 Practice notes

sureLoss
02-16-2020, 12:06 PM
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
🚨 Jersey alert!! 🚨

#Flames wearing their retro whites tomorrow afternoon vs. Anaheim.

Derek Ryan and Mikael Backlund are not on the ice for practice this afternoon. Believe both are under the weather.

Ryan missed Saturday’s game vs. Chicago due to illness. #Flames

#Flames at practice today:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Mangiapane-Jankowski-Tkachuk
Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Rinaldo-Rieder-Robinson

Hanifin-Andersson
Brodie-Stone
Kylington-Yelesin
Davidson

Ryan, Backlund both absent.

agulati
02-16-2020, 12:11 PM
Man, if both can’t play tomorrow, we look so sparsely thin. Hopefully Ryan can go.

GioforPM
02-16-2020, 12:13 PM
I wonder how many were playing with the flu lately. IMO Monahan looked like it, as well as Tkachuk.

Manhattanboy
02-16-2020, 12:16 PM
Afraid I can’t tell healthy Monahan from fluish Monahan.

Toonage
02-16-2020, 12:16 PM
Yep, would not shock me if its running through the team.

No pun intended?

Yrebmi
02-16-2020, 12:20 PM
I wonder how many were playing with the flu lately. IMO Monahan looked like it, as well as Tkachuk.

That would at least make some sense of the Jeckle and Hyde act

GioforPM
02-16-2020, 12:23 PM
Afraid I can’t tell healthy Monahan from fluish Monahan.

I can. Even without scoring Monahan was getting to tough spots and getting good shots at the net. He was also getting more and more physical this year. Yesterday he wasn’t. Of course, that could be just a bad effort. But when Bennett was out and Ryan Leslie was sick, Ball said something like “it’s running through the team”. Guys play with the flu quite a bit - you have to be really sick to miss a game because of it.

getoverit
02-16-2020, 12:25 PM
so I guess we have had the flu since October, explains allot

GranteedEV
02-16-2020, 12:27 PM
I can. Even without scoring Monahan was getting to tough spots and getting good shots at the net.

IIRC Monahan lead our team 5v5 in shots and expected goals...and we outshot the opponent on a whole.

GioforPM
so I guess we have had the flu since October, explains allot

Sigh. You know, not every musing is a statement of fact. But there are three players known to have had the flu, plus Ryan Leslie, the PBP guy who’s with them all the time says it’s running through the team. So maybe it is.

Robo
Glad they have a pretty long break after this game

Joborule
02-16-2020, 12:28 PM
That would at least make some sense of the Jeckle and Hyde act

So the team's been sick since Game 1 of the season?

Flash Walken
02-16-2020, 12:29 PM
So the team's been sick since Game 1 of the season?

Since last april

sureLoss
02-16-2020, 01:19 PM
Sounds like there maybe a call up tomorrow:

Derek Ryan and Mikael Backlund both question marks tomorrow afternoon vs. Anaheim (illness). Coach Ward says team might have to recall someone from AHL Stockton to address void on the PK if those two can’t play.

No decision on a starting goaltender. #Flames

Toonage
02-16-2020, 01:20 PM
Czarnik doesn't kill penalties so not him. Gawdin? Quine?

Flash Walken
02-16-2020, 01:21 PM
Buddy!

KootenayFlamesFan
02-16-2020, 01:23 PM
If two centers are out I'll guess Quine is the one to get the call. Can play center and the PK.

Toonage
02-16-2020, 01:26 PM
Probably want some stability and fewer questions or surprises so Quine it is.

Rando
02-16-2020, 01:27 PM
This sad sack of sucks doesn't deserve to wear those jerseys tomorrow.

The Hendog
02-16-2020, 01:34 PM
It’s one of those McDavid flus

Caught it at the all star game last year and pretty much impossible to kick

Sportsnet currently working on the documentary on how McDavid flu has infected the entire world

savardandjokinen
02-16-2020, 01:36 PM
Byron Froese is another possibility. Centre and penalty kills

GranteedEV
02-16-2020, 01:39 PM
Sounds like there maybe a call up tomorrow:

Derek Ryan and Mikael Backlund both question marks tomorrow afternoon vs. Anaheim (illness). Coach Ward says team might have to recall someone from AHL Stockton to address void on the PK if those two can’t play.

No decision on a starting goaltender. #Flames

:rolleyes:

Jankowski - Lindholm
Bennett - Rieder
Dube - Mangiapane

What am I missing? Plenty of capable penalty killers. Even Monahan's had success on the PK.

I'm all for calling up some bodies given the limitations of Robinson and Rinaldo but let's give guys who've had success killing penalties before a chance to kill some penalties.

Toonage
02-16-2020, 01:43 PM
Byron Froese is another possibility. Centre and penalty kills

NHL experience too.

FanIn80
02-16-2020, 01:49 PM
We want Gawdin!

Zevo
02-16-2020, 01:50 PM
:rolleyes:

Jankowski - Lindholm
Bennett - Rieder
Dube - Mangiapane

What am I missing? Plenty of capable penalty killers. Even Monahan's had success on the PK.

I'm all for calling up some bodies given the limitations of Robinson and Rinaldo but let's give guys who've had success killing penalties before a chance to kill some penalties.

It's amazing you have no NHL coaching experience(maybe you do?). You always seem to know better.

Locke
02-16-2020, 01:51 PM
Practice doesnt appear to be doing this group a whole lot of good.

GranteedEV
02-16-2020, 01:52 PM
It's amazing you have no NHL coaching experience(maybe you do?). You always seem to know better.

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic, but what about my statement is false?

Lindholm, Rieder, and Jankowski have had success killing penalties under this coaching staff.

Bennett was one of the best PKers on a strong PK in 2016-17. In fact there were at least an article (https://flamesnation.ca/2017/01/04/sam-bennett-should-be-a-fixture-on-the-penalty-kill/), and another article (https://flamesnation.ca/2017/08/01/who-should-be-on-the-flames-powerplay-and-penalty-kill/) arguing that the numbers suggested he was being underutilized based on his success.

Dube and Mangiapane were both two of the best PKers on their team all throughout junior and their AHL careers.

This is all public knowledge. What's amazing is that the coaches don't seem aware of these facts.

Rando
02-16-2020, 01:54 PM
Actually wish Monahan was a regular on the PK, it would keep him engaged in the game and make him a much more useful player.

Zevo
02-16-2020, 01:59 PM
I'm assuming you're being sarcasting, but what about my statement is false?

Lindholm, Rieder, and Jankowski have had success killing penalties under this coaching staff.

Bennett was one of the best PKers on a strong PK in 2016-17

Dube and Mangiapane were both two of the best PKers on their team all throughout junior and their AHL careers.

This is all public knowledge.
I don't disagree that the Flames need a different coach. Not a fan of Ward as a head coach but to critic this decision without knowing the full reasoning behind it and going of a Steinberg tweet reeks like criticizing Ward just for the sake of it and because you don't like him.

SeanCharles
02-16-2020, 02:02 PM
Am I the only one who wants the trend of Bennett at center with Dube as his winger to stick?

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Jankowski/Ryan/Rieder/Robinson

GranteedEV
02-16-2020, 02:08 PM
I don't disagree that the Flames need a different coach. Not a fan of Ward as a head coach but to critic this decision without knowing the full reasoning behind it and going of a Steinberg tweet reeks like criticizing Ward just for the sake of it and because you don't like him.

I'm criticizing a blatantly false statement (that there is a void on the penalty kill). There's no void. Just opportunity. If Steinberg said it, then I am criticizing his statement. If Ward originally said it, then I am criticizing his statement.

Zevo
02-16-2020, 02:22 PM
I'm criticizing a blatantly false statement (that there is a void on the penalty kill). There's no void. Just opportunity. If Steinberg said it, then I am criticizing his statement. If Ward originally said it, then I am criticizing his statement.
Disagree I guess. Both Dube and Mangiapane don't penalty kill and probably don't practice the penalty kill(at least as much as others in Stockton) and Bennett hasn't in what, 3 years? I would think they have better options that penalty kill every game.

Not every decision Ward makes needs an eye roll. Some are just innocuous. If you think there are other options great, there are. Doesn't make different ones wrong.

DeluxeMoustache
02-16-2020, 05:57 PM

This wouldn’t surprise me. Tkachuk lost some 1 on 1 battles pretty easily, and didn’t even seem to feel up to trying his usual 3-4 between the legs plays.