PDA

View Full Version : [PGT] I'd 8-4 that game to be the norm. Chicago wins

TheScorpion
02-15-2020, 10:28 PM
Need better goaltending and team defense than that!

JurassicTunga12
02-15-2020, 10:28 PM
This is how it is cheering for the Flames this year...

https://i.imgur.com/WbbwspB.gif

GranteedEV
02-15-2020, 10:29 PM
Kylington - Brodie
Davidson - Andersson
Hanifin - Stone

asap plz

Nammer403
Damn you know it was gonna be one of those games when the first shot went in

Manhattanboy
Team is garbage.

skcli
Team sucks. That’s all

Nsd1
I would hate to be a season ticket holder right about now

AustinL_NHL
3-8-2 our last 13 home games.

We should all feel proud as fans

dissentowner
Jekyll and Hyde continues.

Ferarri
02-15-2020, 10:30 PM
Why do I even bother with this team.

Split98
I eight game like that

TheScorpion
Johnny looked really good tonight FWIW

Tkachuk was a no-show.

AC
Tkachuk was a complete no show.

Johnny was actually good while Monahan struggled.

Dreadful defensive coverage and awareness from everybody. Certainly looked like a game where one of our top pairing Dmen (Stone) shouldn't be in the NHL.

Strange Brew
Well that sucks.

But really, first game back after a road trip against a hungry team? You can’t expect to win that game really, playoff race or no playoff race.

GioforPM
02-15-2020, 10:31 PM
Trappiest of trap games and a piss poor effort from everyone. Trap game because they’re coming off a good roadie, against a non PO team that happens to be desperate to get a win and has players that can still burn you and a goalie who can still perform. Piss poor effort just because that’s what it was. They got really lazy at 2-2.

mrdonkey
Well that sucks.

But really, first game back after a road trip against a hungry team? You can’t expect to win that game really, playoff race or no playoff race.

What the hell kind of logic is this

Manhattanboy
I would hate to be a season ticket holder right about now

Hold my $15 Saddledome beer.

bubbsy
This is such an unlikeable team.

They basically need to get completely embarrassed to show up for a few games.

I hope they get absolutely humiliated in the games leading into the deadline.

SportsJunky
Tkachuk, Backlund and Stone all -4. Stone looked not good.

KootenayFlamesFan
Gotta give this team credit, when they lose, they lose bigly. No joking around.

5 straight losses at home. And some straight up awful play defensively by the entire team. Just not a very good team, unfortunately.

Erick Estrada
I don't care how many glass half full fans try to make excuses for this team, they are what they are which is a team worse than both the Canucks and the Oilers. The injury excuse doesn't fly because they were remarkably healthy up to this point and many teams have had to make do with two regulars out of their lineup. The forwards group is lost, the defense poor, goaltending spotty, and the head coach is in over his head. I'm hoping they somehow scrape into the playoffs and maybe get hot but at this point that's a lot to ask considering losses like this have been very frequent. It's just not a good team.

zamler
02-15-2020, 10:32 PM
https://i.imgur.com/a3EIf43.gif

tvp2003
Don't worry, this probably means we'll win 7-3 on Monday against the Ducks.

You know, because its the Flames...

SuperMatt18
Backlund line, and Stone were horrible tonight.

Hanifin and Andersson weren’t great either.

Strange Brew

The odds were totally stacked against them. No good team is going to win that game.

Yoho
I feel bad for those who attended game.

mile
Still pissing away points against teams they should be beating, still the same issues with team D - Stone getting caught down low resulting in a breakaway for the other team for the third game in a row and our players leaving the slot area open over and over again is so frustrating. Talbot should have started today.

For those saying that Gallant wouldn't take a coaching position right now, that bit came from Lebrun a week after the firing. Gallant said in an interview with a local FOX affiliate a couple of weeks ago that he was ready to coach again, whether it's this season or next. Knowing how competitive he is and with the Flames still in a playoff position, the wishful thinker in me believes the chance to get back in the race and compete in the playoffs with a young team would be tempting.

Both Hynes and Deboer were unemployed for 34 days. Gallant was fired on January 15th. 34 days from that date is this Tuesday on February 18th, where the Flames have a day off, followed by two practice days.

https://i.imgur.com/VNkkm1B.png

I'm still not expecting a coaching change this season but if it were to happen that would probably be the last possible time. Any later and it will be too late.

Aarongavey
4-5-1 since the All Star break. Played some tough divisional rivals in that stretch (SJx2, LA, ANH, EDMx2, VAN) along with a few Central division games (NSH, ST.L, CHI).

Not exactly an easy stretch of hockey and the Flames got close to a majority of the points available during those 10 games.

Next ten they get some non-Western Conference foes to balance out this tough Western Conference schedule they have faced since the break (Boston twice, Tampa Bay, Florida, Columbus, Detroit) along with some Western Conference cannon fodder (Vegas, Anaheim, Nashville, Arizona).

So the schedule balances out for the Flames and I think it is clear that they will only improve now that they got through the murders row they had to face since the All Star break. Seems pretty clear as to what they should do at the pending trade deadline.

Torchdemall
Well that was a cluster ####.

I hope the players have some great advice for coaching staff next week. Seems like the previous changes have already lost their touch.

Maybe put them up at a Super 8 at home and fool them into feeling like they are in the road?

Yikes... figure it out guys.

CalgaryFan1988
I thought Gaudreau was the best player on his line, of course Lindholm is the finisher.

I liked the Bennett line, pretty solid all night.

That's all of the positives I can think of.

nieuwy-89
02-15-2020, 10:33 PM
Another embarrassing effort at home. Garbage all around. I don't get it.

Can’t use injuries as an excuse either, lots of teams are dealing with key injuries now. Good teams rise above it.

Mass_nerder
It's crazy how many odd-man rushes we give up.
Like, it seems like 7-8/night.
Tonight felt like 10+

tvp2003
Trappiest of trap games and a piss poor effort from everyone. Trap game because they’re coming off a good roadie, against a non PO team that happens to be desperate to get a win and has players that can still burn you and a goalie who can still perform. Piss poor effort just because that’s what it was. They got really lazy at 2-2.

Perhaps, but when every other game is a trap game, I don't think you can say it's a trap game...

Cleveland Steam Whistle
02-15-2020, 10:34 PM
Tkachuk was a complete no show.

Johnny was actually good while Monahan struggled.

Dreadful defensive coverage and awareness from everybody. Certainly looked like a game where one of our top pairing Dmen (Stone) shouldn't be in the NHL.
Not saying this to make excuses for him. Anyone else at the game think Tkachuk looks injured. Skating seemed off and ginger and seemed to be constantly working out his leg.

thefoss1957
02-15-2020, 10:34 PM
Home team drops all three in the season series. Goaltending and D-Zone turnovers were the big differences in this one.

No hope for a playoff matchup for our teams this season...but, I'll be dropping back here from time to time, to season's end.

I do hope your guys can right the ship for a playoff run. For my guys, it will be a GM and Coach fighting for their lives, but, I don't think that goaltending alone, behind our porous defense will keep my guys in the race.

Thanks again for hosting...and best of luck to you and your guys.

AustinL_NHL
02-15-2020, 10:35 PM
Well that sucks.

Wait. You can't expect a home team fighting for their playoff lives to win against a team that had lost 5 straight?

Interesting logic.

GioforPM
02-15-2020, 10:35 PM
Perhaps, but when every other game is a trap game, I don't think you can say it's a trap game...

Well, they always say these first games back especially against poorer teams. are trap games. BUT they were just bad. Obviously. I’m not sure what you mean by every other game though.

Manhattanboy
02-15-2020, 10:36 PM
How many teams break losing streaks against the Flames?

Seems to be a trend.

Saint Troy
02-15-2020, 10:37 PM
Absolutely pathetic, 16 against in the last 3 weeks at home, and we sat a goalie coming off of a shutout. Isn’t Treliving pretty much skinny Feaster at this point?

Calgary4LIfe
I don't pin this loss on the goalies. The team as a whole seemed to have about zero defensive awareness tonight. The defencemen and the forwards. I didn't think any of the goals that were let in were terrible - a couple were probably save-able, but nothing ugly. What was ugly was the incredible looks the Hawks got on their shots.

Too many guys to list that I thought were bad.. but the players that I thought played well:
Bennett
Jankowski
Brodie
Dube
Lucic
Mangiapane

That's about it. The rest were shades of invisible to atrocious.

Lost races to pucks, lost battles for the pucks, a bunch of poor passes, didn't attack the net enough, didn't defend the net enough...

We had a Dallas Eakins' Oilers game tonight IMO.

TBone290
https://i.imgur.com/aYuvVRg.gif

Sorry. Does this need to be in nsfw?

Aarongavey
Wait. You can't expect a home team fighting for their playoff lives to win against a team that had lost 5 straight?

Interesting logic.

I am pretty sure both posts were sarcastic. I think Strange Brew knows the full capabilities of this franchise.

GioforPM
02-15-2020, 10:38 PM
Absolutely pathetic, 16 against in the last 3 weeks at home, and we sat a goalie coming off of a shutout. Isn’t Treliving pretty much skinny Feaster at this point?

How is sitting the shutout goalie on Treliving/Feaster?

Strange Brew
02-15-2020, 10:38 PM

Interesting logic.

Yeah. Flames never really had a chance in this one against a team like the Hawks. Trap game. Hungry team. Crazy amount of injuries. Flames did a nice job keeping it close at 4-3 but you can only hold off overwhelming enemy forces for so long.

I’m not worried at all. We should be primed for a solid victory in another game or two before the odds are overwhelmingly against us again.

dino7c
02-15-2020, 10:39 PM
Bad goal tending and horrible turnovers were the difference. Lindholm also needs to show some disapline...Flames were about to get a PP with 3 mins left.

TheScorpion
For those who think the team is terrible and not going anywhere with these players -- what do you think the team should do? What are this team's problems?

Johnny is playing like himself again. Lindholm has been amazing. Tkachuk has been mostly excellent. There are your stars up front. Do you trade them?

Is your problem with the depth?

Is your problem with the defense? If it is, how do you fix it? Is it not worth fixing it this year?

Is your problem with the goaltending?

How will standing pat and not doing anything at the deadline do anything to address this?

It's easy to say this team isn't going anywhere but that isn't constructive. There needs to be a plan in place. And I say this team can be improved substantially to the point where it's more consistent and effective. I think all the right pieces are in place to accommodate for such an improvement.

But not doing anything at the deadline to try and fix this team's issues seems like such a waste, especially in such a wide-open division/conference.

transplant99
Tkachuk, Backlund and Stone all -4. Stone looked not good.

None of them did...Backlund got his head caved in by Toews.

Vinny01
Brutal game classic response by this team this year.

Royle9
02-15-2020, 10:40 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/QgAvQxFyRjF4I/200.gif

Season summed up in 1 gif for me

zamler
Kept it under 10 that's great for a football game.

Corral
Team has not recovered from last years first round &$&&&kicking. Roster needs a major upheaval by moving a core piece. Thats your assignment Brad. Get it done.

GioforPM
02-15-2020, 10:41 PM
Just to be clear “trap game” IMO isn’t an excuse. To me it’s always meant “a game that should be a win but an unfocused and lazy team will lose”.

iamca
All that talk about needing to be better at home... pfttt.

Suck wads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinL_NHL
Yeah. Flames never really had a chance in this one against a team like the Hawks. Trap game. Hungry team. Crazy amount of injuries. Flames did a nice job keeping it close at 4-3 but you can only hold off overwhelming enemy forces for so long.

I’m not worried at all. We should be primed for a solid victory in another game or two before the odds are overwhelmingly against us again.

Now I understand the sarcasm. Oops.

Saint Troy
02-15-2020, 10:42 PM
How is sitting the shutout goalie on Treliving/Feaster?

Who hires the coach? Read slowly.

dieHARDflameZ
02-15-2020, 10:42 PM
This team is far too inconsistent.

If Treliving doesn’t go into the deadline with a seller’s mindset, I think it’s a huge mistake.

dissentowner
02-15-2020, 10:43 PM
For those who think the team is terrible and not going anywhere with these players -- what do you think the team should do? What are this team's problems?

Johnny is playing like himself again. Lindholm has been amazing. Tkachuk has been mostly excellent. There are your stars up front. Do you trade them?

Is your problem with the defense? If it is, how do you fix it? Is it not worth fixing it this year?

How will standing pat and not doing anything at the deadline do anything to address this?

It's easy to say this team isn't going anywhere but that isn't constructive. There needs to be a plan in place. And I say this team can be improved substantially to the point where it's more consistent and effective. I think all the right pieces are in place to accommodate for such an improvement.

But not doing anything at the deadline to try and fix this team's issues seems like such a waste, especially in such a wide-open division/conference.

I think the team is fine, I think the coaches system is the issue. You have a small skilled team told to play chip and chase. It simply doesn't work. The two games before the Kings game they were playing puck possession and looked great. Then against the Kings it was chip and chase again, I don't get it....

GioforPM
02-15-2020, 10:43 PM
Who hires the coach? Read slowly.

I suspect Peters asked for Ward. New coaches usually pick their AC.

Aside from that, it’s just a real stretch. You want to blame the coach, blame the coach. I doubt Treliving put this particular scenario to Ward when he asked him about being AC.

Aarongavey
02-15-2020, 10:46 PM

Hire a NHL Coach would be the first thing I would do the second one becomes available. I would not wait a milisecond, I would treat it like I am the 1-2-1 Chicago Blackhawks coming off a 17 point improvement the year before. Hire that NHL coach the minute you see him.

Fire the GM as soon as possible would be the second thing I would do (but unlikely to happen before the end of the season)

Trade all assets that are UFA's if you like the offer you receive, just like in 2015 for picks and prospects.

Do not trade picks or prospects for rentals.

That would be my list.

zamler
02-15-2020, 10:47 PM
I think the team is fine, I think the coaches system is the issue. You have a small skilled team told to play chip and chase. It simply doesn't work. The two games before the Kings game they were playing puck possession and looked great. Then against the Kings it was chip and chase again, I don't get it....

Last change lets the coach run his system.

getbak
Forget about waiting for the new building, can we just blow up the Saddledome now?

DeluxeMoustache
Need better team defense than that!

I fixed your post, there

Terribly disappointed in the CBC with their perpetuation of the goaltending narrative too

God damn silly

The goalie’s job isn’t to save the team from every moment of egregious defensive idiocy

Infinit47
02-15-2020, 10:49 PM
Team has not recovered from last years first round &$&&&kicking. Roster needs a major upheaval by moving a core piece. Thats your assignment Brad. Get it done.

I think it's dumb to blow up the team before trying a decent coach. Peters had them finish 2nd in the NHL. He also had them playing better before he was fired.

Ward is a pp specislist and he's not even good at that.

Gallant, Boudreau, Laviolette. Flames need to pony up.

Aarongavey
Last change lets the coach run his system.

Ya, it seems pretty clear that the Flames get away from Ward hockey on the road. At home, where he can get the matchups he wants it is a lot closer to Ward hockey.

DeluxeMoustache
Bad goal tending and horrible turnovers were the difference. Lindholm also needs to show some disapline...Flames were about to get a PP with 3 mins left.

Another bad goaltending mention.

Awful post

Dion
02-15-2020, 10:50 PM
Qm60qqQdZk8

Robo
02-15-2020, 10:50 PM
Yeesh glad I didnt watch the 3rd but I'm sure no one is surprised this happens every time after a big win

KootenayFlamesFan
02-15-2020, 10:51 PM

When I look at individual pieces I like quite a bit about this team, but as a collective it's just not working. It hasn't been working for about a year. The Avs showed us in the playoffs how far this team is from being a true contender. Then, and now, they're not even really close at all.

Can they add a piece or two and get hot and go on a big run? Sure, I guess. But the odds for me are so low I wouldn't do anything crazy at the deadline, like trading our high draft picks for short term fixes.

Whether it's the coach, the players or even the GM the major changes this team needs to be a consistent contending team won't happen until the summer.

So, if they want to add a Toffoli for a decent price, sure, go for it. But I'm not expecting much of this team to change until the summer. And I think it will be a very busy summer. I don't see this team looking close to what it is now starting next season.

TheScorpion
02-15-2020, 10:52 PM

Awful post

Look I like your posting generally but at least three of the goals allowed tonight were bad goals.

Basically game where the goalies have a .750 SV%, you need better goaltending. Sure there were turnovers and there was bad team defense but there were also some bad rebounds and bad misses on unscreened shots.

This team has two great goalies but tonight wasn't their night

DeluxeMoustache
02-15-2020, 10:52 PM

That didn’t even happen today

Today, Chicago passed 3 times from behind the goal line out front for one timers
Then Dube fed a guy in alone, unexpected by Rittich

Then Talbot read possession really poorly

I’m out now because I don’t think a lot of people with opinions watched the game and/or understand hockey and how goals are scored

taxbuster
02-15-2020, 10:54 PM
I was sad to have sold my Seasons Tickets a few years back due to moving away from Calgary. But after a garbage effort like that I'm even pissed at the waste of electricity on the TV!

dino7c
02-15-2020, 10:54 PM

Awful post

The goaltending wasn't anywhere near good enough...goalies job is to make saves, yes even some point blank ones

Nobody is saying it's all on the goalies

Buff
02-15-2020, 10:56 PM
I'm sick and tired of this up and down season. I'm really hating watching the Flames now. I can't wait for hockey season to be done.

Artie Fufkin
Some of it's coaching, but most of this is on the players.

Phaneuf_Phan
I guess we're sellers - nobody wants to make the playoffs

zamler
02-15-2020, 10:57 PM
Oilers have 2 games in hand 2 points up I think. Yotes beat the Caps are are 1 point back. Wake up Flames or you'll be golfing soon.

taxbuster
02-15-2020, 10:59 PM
I guess we're sellers - nobody wants to make the playoffs

Can you blame them? They don't get paid for playoff games and all there is at the end is either disappointment or some frickin' trophy that only a few guys get. Much more fun to be golfing, swimming or whatever....

DeluxeMoustache
02-15-2020, 11:00 PM
The goaltending wasn't anywhere near good enough...goalies job is to make saves, yes even some point blank ones

Nobody is saying it's all on the goalies

*sigh*

BS opinion based on expectations from statistics at best

Tell me what shots Lehrer stopped that we’re even close to the danger level the Flames goalies failed to stop

Be specific

Flame On
I take it was Rittich in net? I feel he's like the team in general. Good one game very poor the next. Make Cam the #1 for a few weeks.

Strange Brew

Just picking on you a little but I wouldn’t call the Lindholm penalty the TSN turning point.

Obviously you’re right about the turnovers. Christ almighty you’re missing two of your better defensemen but you’re not facing the 70’s Canadiens. A little attention to detail and you limit the Hawks scoring chances. You know you can score against them.

GordonBlue
02-15-2020, 11:01 PM
4-5-1 since the All Star break. Played some tough divisional rivals in that stretch (SJx2, LA, ANH, EDMx2, VAN) along with a few Central division games (NSH, ST.L, CHI).

Not exactly an easy stretch of hockey and the Flames got close to a majority of the points available during those 10 games..

What do you mean not exactly easy?
Should have been easy to make up a lot of points.

It was easy. SJ. Sucks this year. LA sucks this year. ANA sucks this year and doesn't Edmonton suck too?

GranteedEV
02-15-2020, 11:02 PM
Oilers have 2 games in hand 2 points up I think. Yotes beat the Caps are are 1 point back. Wake up Flames or you'll be golfing soon.

Wouldn't be so bad to fall to 22nd place and get a shot at winning the lottery. This team has issues down the middle that only a high draft pick can realistically solve. Unlike 2018 when we traded our pick for a #4/#5 defenseman, we actually have our pick right now.

In Tank Commander Ward I Trust.

Psytic
Ball is in BT's court. Whether you think its the lack of a seasoned coach, or the players or a little of both, he needs to figure this pile of stinking bipolar ####e out.

cheung31
This team reminds me of Gulutzen-era Jekyll and Hyde bull####. Ugh...

dino7c
02-15-2020, 11:03 PM
*sigh*

Sigh yourself....700 goal tending isn't good enough. This Thinking it is, that's the awful take

The Fonz
02-15-2020, 11:04 PM
What a bunch of tit heads

shadowlord
02-15-2020, 11:07 PM

Agreed. The very first shift of this game with the tkachuk-backlund-mangiapane line, the puck gets dumped in. Mangiapane almost gets to it, but not before the defender, who sends it around to the boards eventually getting to Toews who scores off the rush.

I've seen this too many times (especially from that Tkachuk's line) since Ward took over. When they carry the puck it, it's much better and leads to sustained pressure in the offensive zone.

There was this one game in December/January where they put Lucic onto that line instead of Mangiapane after the 1st intermission, and then Lucic went in, dug the puck out and fed it to Backlund on his first shift. I think Backlund scored too, but that's not my point.

Ward either needs to stop telling them to play dump-and-chase, or he needs to put players on lines that are competent at puck retrieval.

Calgary4LIfe
02-15-2020, 11:07 PM
Goaltending was fine. Spectacular? Nope. Abysmal? Nope.

The Goalies didn't steal this game, but the goalies didn't lose it either. The players lost this one by not competing and consistently allowing the Hawks to have amazing shot qualities.

Vinny01
02-15-2020, 11:08 PM
What do you mean not exactly easy?
Should have been easy to make up a lot of points.

It was easy. SJ. Sucks this year. LA sucks this year. ANA sucks this year and doesn't Edmonton suck too?

6 of 8 points against the Oilers we are doing fine against your 2 man team

zamler
Ball is in BT's court. Whether you think its the lack of a seasoned coach, or the players or a little of both, he needs to figure this pile of stinking bipolar ####e out.

Shouldn't be, Tre built this amazingly average club I don't want him to try and fix it.

Dragomir
Wouldn't be so bad to fall to 22nd place and get a shot at winning the lottery. This team has issues down the middle that only a high draft pick can realistically solve. Unlike 2018 when we traded our pick for a #4/#5 defenseman, we actually have our pick right now.

Yes! Ship out the losers Monahan and Johnny and embrace the tank!

OldDutch
02-15-2020, 11:15 PM

Stockholm syndrome

Dragomir
02-15-2020, 11:17 PM

Can’t compare the two clubs, the Oilers are in year 15 of their rebuild and we are only in year 6

Luder
02-15-2020, 11:24 PM
Shouldn't be, Tre built this amazingly average club I don't want him to try and fix it.

The team has been amazingly average since they won the cup, why change now?

DeluxeMoustache
02-15-2020, 11:26 PM
Sigh yourself....700 goal tending isn't good enough. This Thinking it is, that's the awful take

#### sv%, it’s useless without context

Never mind probabilities, break it down goal by goal

DeluxeMoustache
02-15-2020, 11:28 PM

Disagree, that’s loser thinking

And unrelated to how the goals were scored tonight

The Cobra
02-15-2020, 11:31 PM
Well that sucks.

I think accepting a loss against an inferior team at home because it’s your first game back is really just accepting mediocrity.

But is Chicago really an inferior team?

They have a much better goal differential and a tougher schedule?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N-E-B
02-15-2020, 11:31 PM
Good teams win consistently. It’s not what this group can do when they play the right way, it’s how often they play the right way.

Detroit just beat Boston. Any team can beat any team on any given night. The difference between 1st and 31st is consistency. This team has absolutely none of it.

Is it the coaching? Is it the players? Is it a combination of both? I don’t know anymore and I really feel like I’m wasting my time trying to figure it out. This team has needed a heart transplant since 2015. It’s about time they get one. It’s just time to decide if the heart is the coaches, the players, or the GM. Or maybe it’s all of them.

Leeman4Gilmour
02-15-2020, 11:32 PM
Found the After Hours interview with Lucic excellent. He’s just a straight up guy. Got the feeling he wasn’t a Peters fan.

The Cobra
02-15-2020, 11:34 PM

Not exactly an easy stretch of hockey and the Flames got close to a majority of the points available during those 10 games.

Next ten they get some non-Western Conference foes to balance out this tough Western Conference schedule they have faced since the break (Boston twice, Tampa Bay, Florida, Columbus, Detroit) along with some Western Conference cannon fodder (Vegas, Anaheim, Nashville, Arizona).

So the schedule balances out for the Flames and I think it is clear that they will only improve now that they got through the murders row they had to face since the All Star break. Seems pretty clear as to what they should do at the pending trade deadline.

Tough divisional opponents? That 4 games against the 3 bottom feeders of the west division.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalke

KootenayFlamesFan
02-15-2020, 11:35 PM
Found the After Hours interview with Lucic excellent. He’s just a straight up guy. Got the feeling he wasn’t a Peters fan.

Was a bit surprising hearing him say he was wondering if he should hang them up earlier in the season when he was struggling and being benched. Definitely seems to be a bigger fan of Ward's than Peters'.

nieuwy-89
02-15-2020, 11:35 PM
Very good After Hours interview with Milan Lucic. Seems like a really good guy. Interesting to hear him credit Ward, Tre, Gio, and Mony with helping him turn his season around. He was considering retirement in November after getting benched by Peters.

getoverit
02-15-2020, 11:37 PM
#1 team in league this year allowing a goal on first shot. N I N E times this year :bag:

oldschoolcalgary
02-15-2020, 11:38 PM

best thing i watched tonight... glad Lucic is playing pretty well; that combination with Dube/Bennett/Ryan has really helped him to find a semblance of his game again

i don't know if i am imagining it, but he also seems like his straight-line speed has gotten better over the season too

Strange Brew
02-15-2020, 11:41 PM
Was a bit surprising hearing him say he was wondering if he should hang them up earlier in the season when he was struggling and being benched. Definitely seems to be a bigger fan of Ward's than Peters'.

That’s a bit of a bombshell really.

WhiteTiger
02-15-2020, 11:49 PM
Just got in, and with that score...Don't think I wanna watch the 'highlights'...Oof, Flames. I hate the inconsistency.

jayswin
02-15-2020, 11:52 PM
Very good After Hours interview with Milan Lucic. Seems like a really good guy. Interesting to hear him credit Ward, Tre, Gio, and Mony with helping him turn his season around. He was considering retirement in November after getting benched by Peters.

Wait, like full on cap hit clearing retirement?!! Man, I really do like Lucic and appreciate how much better he's been, but imagine if he had just hung them up and we got a free get out of jail card?

What a summer we could have had coming up.

zamler
02-15-2020, 11:54 PM
Just got in, and with that score...Don't think I wanna watch the 'highlights'...Oof, Flames. I hate the inconsistency.

I watched the entire game the least you could do is watch the so called highlights.

DeluxeMoustache
02-15-2020, 11:56 PM
Look I like your posting generally but at least three of the goals allowed tonight were bad goals.

Basically game where the goalies have a .750 SV%, you need better goaltending. Sure there were turnovers and there was bad team defense but there were also some bad rebounds and bad misses on unscreened shots.

This team has two great goalies but tonight wasn't their night

Sorry, can’t agree.

At least 3? I’d be interested to hear what were bad.

Talbot’s vacating the net was bad. That’s all I can see

1 - clear look but time and space for a future HOF’er that placed it perfectly
2 - behind goal line out front - no chance
3 - Saad - killer pass by Kane, time and space, good move
4 - in alone, time and space, good move around Rittich
5 & 6 - same as goal 2
7 - bad read timing wise, Talbot wasn’t near the net
8 - look man, I’m still not up to ‘at least 3’

What on earth are the goalies really supposed to do tonight?

I am all ears, but am asking for specifics

soulchoice
02-15-2020, 11:58 PM
I think accepting a loss against an inferior team at home because it’s your first game back is really just accepting mediocrity.

But is Chicago really an inferior team?

They have a much better goal differential and a tougher schedule?

As I stated prior. The hawks are not much more inferior than the flames. I’m assuming that prior to this game they felt it’s a game they should be able to win as they are playing Calgary. Who is essentially their equal in many aspects.

It’s not like the Flames are a top seed or a contender who is playing a bottom feeder. They are two mediocre bubble teams with one now only 6 points less than the flames with 2 games in hand(Hawks).

DeluxeMoustache
02-16-2020, 12:02 AM
As I stated prior. The hawks are not much more inferior than the flames. I’m assuming that prior to this game they felt it’s a game they should be able to win as they are playing Calgary. Who is essentially their equal in many aspects.

It’s not like the Flames are a top seed or contender who is playing a bottom feeder. They are two mediocre bubble teams with one now only 6 points less than the flames with 2 games in hand(Hawks).

True based on this year’s work, and at the same time it’s baffling because the Flames are potentially so much better than they are playing.

The cause of the loss was training camp level attention to D

I am kind of flummoxed, man

locsofblu
02-16-2020, 12:09 AM
Just keep all the pics try to sell as much as ou can at the deadline. This team simply needs a reboot.

thefoss1957
02-16-2020, 12:09 AM
Goaltending was fine. Spectacular? Nope. Abysmal? Nope.

The Goalies didn't steal this game, but the goalies didn't lose it either. The players lost this one by not competing and consistently allowing the Hawks to have amazing shot qualities.
Lehner bailed out many 'Hawk mistakes...Rittich /Talbot did not match that...that is what I mean when I say goaltending was a difference.

Jimdon
02-16-2020, 12:12 AM
Monahan sits with a beauty -21 right now. Worst on the team and close to the bottom of the league. He doesn't even get the hardest matchups.

Dragomir
02-16-2020, 12:12 AM
This team is done, we’ve sucked even with Gio and Hamonic in the lineup. This team is what it is, I’m at peace with it, at least Lindy Rasmus and Chucky made strides this year but it was a very forgettable season.

DeluxeMoustache
02-16-2020, 12:14 AM
Lehner bailed out many 'Hawk mistakes...Rittich /Talbot did not match that...that is what I mean when I say goaltending was a difference.

Lehner played a fine game.

His bailouts were respectfully simply of a different caliber of shots than allowed by the Flames

Let’s say this. I don’t recall Lehner stopping 3 bang-bang shots passed from behind the goal line to guys in the slot who labelled the shots top corner

All credit to Lehner for being steady but bad goaltending didn’t do in the Flames

It was the Chi wins down behind the goal line and clean passes to guys in the slot who happened to place those shots where they were unstoppable

Love
02-16-2020, 12:15 AM
This team has a valid foundation but we're not going anywhere without that elite center. Winning a lottery spot from low odds would be a dream

zamler
02-16-2020, 12:22 AM
Monahan sits with a beauty -21 right now.

Same as James Neal. :bag:

Dougie Hamilton is +30 2nd in the league. I think our system might not be that great.

thefoss1957
02-16-2020, 12:25 AM
Deluxe...Certainly your guys were crippled by bad turnovers in the D zone, and some, shall we say, lackadaisical coverage. And, I still have nightmares about the game that Smith threw at my guys with scorpion saves and the like, last season. Neither team was exceptional in their own zones and I thought Lehner did make fewer bad reads. The goal where Saad looked off Rittich was a pretty bad one to give up, as he was in position, and seemed square, then cheated towards a weak side pass.

skudr248
02-16-2020, 12:29 AM
All I have to say is, as a fan since I was 7-8 years old (day my dad took me to my first hockey game when we moved to Canada), I was really hoping I could see a cup win before im 30... i turn 29 next week. It doesn't look like its happening. #### this team is frustrating

zamler
02-16-2020, 12:29 AM
I was curious so I checked, here's our plus players.
Ryan
Dube
Brodie
Giordano
Bennett
Rinaldo

Manhattanboy
02-16-2020, 12:31 AM
Now that the anger has worn off I’m relaxed.

One crappy team coming off a five game losing streak beats another crappy team at home following a road trip where latter crappy team beat a few other really crappy teams but lost to one really really crappy team coming off a ten game more or less losing streak.

Ya nothing to see here.

DeluxeMoustache
02-16-2020, 12:32 AM
Deluxe...Certainly your guys were crippled by bad turnovers in the D zone, and some, shall we say, lackadaisical coverage. And, I still have nightmares about the game that Smith threw at my guys with scorpion saves and the like, last season. Neither team was exceptional in their own zones and I thought Lehner did make fewer bad reads. The goal where Saad looked off Rittich was a pretty bad one to give up, as he was in position, and seemed square, then cheated towards a weak side pass.

See, I thought Saad made a really decent move 1 on 1 to get Rittich to open up the 5 hole just enough and tucked it home. The Hockey Night in Canada guys had the same observation, all credit to Saad

Totally agree on the lackadaisical which somehow even seems diplomatic, I would have elected for brutal *chuckle*

DeluxeMoustache
02-16-2020, 12:33 AM
Ryan
Dube
Brodie
Giordano
Bennett
Rinaldo

Did Ryan play?

combustiblefuel
02-16-2020, 12:35 AM
Did Ryan play?

Nope, flu took him out

djsFlames
02-16-2020, 12:36 AM
Can you at least lose by something respectable

You gotta go and give up 8?

Twice in two weeks at home.

Why can you play relentless, fast, responsible, smart hockey on the road and then serve the fans this slop at home?

What makes the saddledome ice so different that it suddenly turns your brains and legs to mush?

How can Talbot and Rittich go from elite play on the road to this, giving up the first shot and every third one after that?

What gives?

I'll be there monday so please don't serve me the same nasty gruel. I have no interest in watching the Ducks do *that* to us.

Thank you.

zamler
02-16-2020, 12:39 AM
Did Ryan play?
The stat is for the season, sorry I should have included that.

DeluxeMoustache
02-16-2020, 12:40 AM
Nope, flu took him out

Yeah

The revised list of + players tonight is Kylington and Davidson at + 1 each

Edit: saw the revision by zamler, referencing the season

zamler
02-16-2020, 12:42 AM
SO wins are saving this team from being completely out of it not sure how I feel about that.

DeluxeMoustache
02-16-2020, 12:43 AM
SO wins are saving this team from being completely out of it not sure how I feel about that.

Hopefully they are doing a crash course with Ward in maximizing and identifying kinks and working them out

Flash Walken
02-16-2020, 12:51 AM
Losing 8-4 really wipes out those goal differential gains from winning 6-2.

Oh well, at least the home fans got to enjoy the 6-2 win and the 8-4 beating happened on the road.

topfiverecords
02-16-2020, 01:13 AM
If Hamrlik wasn’t out injured we would have won.

TheScorpion
02-16-2020, 01:16 AM
It's honestly a shame the Flames lost tonight. Waste of great performances from Gaudreau, Bennett, Lucic, and Dube.

No matter. Here are the Flames' upcoming games.

vs Anaheim
vs Boston
@ Detroit
@ Boston
@ Nashville
@ Tampa Bay
@ Florida
vs Columbus
vs Arizona
vs Vegas
vs NYI
vs Winnipeg

These twelve games will be critical towards guaranteeing the Flames a playoff berth. So long as they get at least eighteen points out of these games, no matter how, I will be happy.

9-3-0? Cool. 7-1-4? Also cool. 8-2-2? Super cool.

I think they can do it. If they do, they'll have at least 84 points in 72 games and will likely be able to make the playoffs with ease. That would put them on pace for roughly 96 points.

Honestly even if they go 6-0-6 somehow I'd be down. Go Flames!

Barnet Flame
02-16-2020, 01:31 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200216/a8dfcdea0873bf3a042250a230cc9dc2.jpg

N-E-B
02-16-2020, 01:47 AM
Loved the Lucic interview on After Hours. Seems like a really good guy and I think he was a bit embarrassed and felt bad about the Oiler games.

AC
02-16-2020, 03:15 AM
Dube's pass for Bennett's 2nd goal was straight up obscene:
https://giant.gfycat.com/BelatedYellowChuckwalla.webm

https://gfycat.com/belatedyellowchuckwalla

Of course SNET sucks, so neither Randorf or DeBrusk even seemed to mention the insane pass, and the replays all missed it.

The Chicago broadcast was much better for the goal:
https://streamable.com/q5qmb

KootenayFlamesFan
02-16-2020, 03:28 AM
This team is going to lose to the Ducks and beat Boston, aren't they?

Doesn't make any sense, so it will probably happen.

combustiblefuel
02-16-2020, 03:49 AM
Dube's pass for Bennett's 2nd goal was straight up obscene:
https://giant.gfycat.com/BelatedYellowChuckwalla.webm

https://gfycat.com/belatedyellowchuckwalla

Of course SNET sucks, so neither Randorf or DeBrusk even seemed to mention the insane pass, and the replays all missed it.

The Chicago broadcast was much better for the goal:
https://streamable.com/q5qmb

No , Debrusk mentioned it was the good play of Dube to set up the goal.

Roof-Daddy
02-16-2020, 04:23 AM
Oilers, Coyotes, Knights, Preds all win and Flames blow another one to keep the inconsistency real.

That couldn't have gone much worse.

AC
02-16-2020, 04:38 AM
No , Debrusk mentioned it was the good play of Dube to set up the goal.

Not during the goal call and replays. (https://hlslive-wsczoominwestus.med.nhl.com/publish/07e4cc3b-6163-4f12-85d8-91b3b5dfb982.mp4) DeBrusk doesn't even mention Dube, which is my point.

He even skips over Dube by saying "little flip pass out of the zone (Kylington), Bennett's on top of it..."

soulchoice
02-16-2020, 04:41 AM
Ryan
Dube
Brodie
Giordano
Bennett
Rinaldo

Backlund was a plus player prior to tonight.

DazzlinDino
02-16-2020, 05:09 AM

I agree, I think it's a coaching issue, this team is too inconsistent. I've said it before but I believe the players dictate the play, A good coach raises the standard and holds players accountable. Ward talked about leadership group but if the group is inconsistent how's the rest of the team to follow. Has BT, ever been around an experienced winning coach? Maybe that is the problem?

Cali Panthers Fan
02-16-2020, 05:33 AM
Monahan sits with a beauty -21 right now. Worst on the team and close to the bottom of the league. He doesn't even get the hardest matchups.

So much for that improved dedication to defense this year.

So, he's not scoring as much, he's possibly worse defensively, and he doesn't do much to get his teammates to play harder.

I have a feeling I know which player is going to be shipped out this summer.

Monahammer
02-16-2020, 05:38 AM
http://imgflip.com/i/3pd8w9

Monahammer
02-16-2020, 05:49 AM
This team is actually going to finish the season beneath the Oilers in the standings and that is a shameful failure.

Trade em all except for lindy, rasmus, and chucky.

I also think Lucic is a really nice guy, but if anyone actively convinced him not to retire they should be waterboarded. #### that would have been transformative for this club.

Poe969
02-16-2020, 07:01 AM
The excuses in here are great! Bottom line, there are too many passengers on the team and its become acceptable by the coach, GM and most fans. If the players aren't giving all they can give then the coach needs to get more from them or play them in a position for them to succeed but if they only do it when they want to, they should be moved.

The coach sucks. Sure, his record is decent since hes started but that's because of the hit streak at the start of his job, they've since turned him out.

If this is some players "playing great" it means they just aren't good enough and the team needs to try and improve and cash in on depreciating assets.

The building blocks of this team are Tkachuck, Lindholm, Andersson...I don't even know who else anymore. Even those guys have bad games but at least it looks like they're trying.

This team needs a granade without the pin.

Monahammer
02-16-2020, 07:28 AM
In 2 seasons our d core went from laudable to laughable. It wasnt just the subtraction of Hamilton (which undoubtedly hurt us) or other personnel changes. It's a piss poor system, and no buy in from 50% of the forward core.

I wonder what monahan+hanifin could get us in terms of other centers?

mdubz
02-16-2020, 07:35 AM
Did they blow it up yet?

tvp2003
02-16-2020, 07:39 AM
Did Ryan play?

Darren Haynes tweeted yesterday that this is only the second game that Ryan has missed since coming to Calgary.

The first game was when we played Pittsburgh last year and lost 9-1.

Coincidence?

Strange Brew
02-16-2020, 07:49 AM
The constant trade Gaudreau refrain kind of ignores how bad Monahan has been and also ignores the very serious question of whether Tkachuk is either good or consistent enough to be the best player on a contender.

Manhattanboy
02-16-2020, 08:04 AM
I don’t think I can recall a worse game by a Flames defence since... two weeks ago against EDM.

God help us when we see teams like TB and BOS.

Cue the Benny Hill music whenever a team establishes the zone which in the Flames case is pretty much always.

The Cobra
02-16-2020, 08:04 AM
Darren Haynes tweeted yesterday that this is only the second game that Ryan has missed since coming to Calgary.

The first game was when we played Pittsburgh last year and lost 9-1.

Coincidence?

Yes.

442scotty
02-16-2020, 08:26 AM
This team has a cancer and it’s called indifference and it will continue to spread and consume the few players we have that still give a crap and hate to lose. I’m sure Treliving knows who they are and needs to get rid of them

DazzlinDino
02-16-2020, 08:39 AM
The excuses in here are great! Bottom line, there are too many passengers on the team and its become acceptable by the coach, GM and most fans. If the players aren't giving all they can give then the coach needs to get more from them or play them in a position for them to succeed but if they only do it when they want to, they should be moved.

The coach sucks. Sure, his record is decent since hes started but that's because of the hit streak at the start of his job, they've since turned him out.

If this is some players "playing great" it means they just aren't good enough and the team needs to try and improve and cash in on depreciating assets.

The building blocks of this team are Tkachuck, Lindholm, Andersson...I don't even know who else anymore. Even those guys have bad games but at least it looks like they're trying.

This team needs a granade without the pin.

Need a coach that knows how to push the right buttons, sit the right players the moment there is a drop off in effort. Does the coach have the pulse of the team, players? If Monahan shows a piss poor effort, "bench him". Bench him until he decides to show up same for the rest of the passengers. The root of the problem is the players but without an experienced coach it is harder to extract water from stones.

madmike
02-16-2020, 08:46 AM
The constant trade Gaudreau refrain kind of ignores how bad Monahan has been and also ignores the very serious question of whether Tkachuk is either good or consistent enough to be the best player on a contender.

Remember when everyone thought the “core” players were all signed to great deals? Those deals don’t seem so great now. This team doesn’t have a true star player.

The biggest problem is centre as always. They haven’t had a true number one centre for decades now. Monahan is at best a 2 (and even then a very mediocre 2). Every other centre is a great 3-4.

I hate to say blow it up but I don’t know what else they can do at this point. The team isn’t close to being a Cup contender. If ownership wants to build a perennial playoff contender, I’m sure they could do that with the pieces on this team. But they aren’t winning a Cup with these guys.

DazzlinDino
02-16-2020, 08:49 AM

We need to trade for, or draft an elite player for the top line, we really don't have one. Tkachuk does a lot of good things but I think our top line could be a lot better. The flaws with our top line showed in the playoffs. I like what the Flames have done to try and improve the top line this season but I still don't think this team the right pieces.

OldSam
02-16-2020, 08:58 AM
I think everyone else has pretty much summed up my feelings. I have two comments.

First, after last years playoff debacle, I recall Peters saying they were going to focus on D so that wouldn't happen again. As several have mentioned, changing from fast forecheck and speed to dump and chase and sacrifice speed and offense for defense after the GM has brought in players that don't fit dump and chase is borderline stupid.

Second, it sounds great to get rid of everyone and start over but you have to have a partner to trade with and absolutely no one is going to help the Flames.

In my mind, there is enough talent on the roster to keep and see what an experienced coach who can develop a system to suit the players we have.

Hackey
02-16-2020, 08:58 AM

I'd trade Monahan for sure if you can get a decent return. Like Gaudreau he is way to one dimensional and you cant have that from your top guys. They need to impact the game when their not scoring. You need to be able to put them out in any situation at any point in the game. Gaudreau would bring the better return, is closer to UFA, and the more likely to walk. Makes sense the talk is around him. Chucky I do not see as your top guy either. I think hes a good support piece and a guy you'd keep but I wouldnt bank on him being the top guy.

Duffalufagus
02-16-2020, 09:00 AM

Awful post

Rittich was not good. Sorry bud. As I mentioned in the pregame thread, he has been mediocre or worse for over 6 weeks now. His numbers are not good.

I get it though. You think he is great.

Edit: just read the rest of your points and thought I’d just reply to all here.

- goals 1, 3 and 4 were all savable. Good goalies make big saves.
- you are going to have to make a whole lot of excuses if you are going to justify your argument that Rittich isn’t part of the problem right now.
<.900 sv% in 8 of last 13 games and has benn yanked 3 times.

I think the D has been awful this year. But Rittich isn’t playing consistent hockey either.

GordonBlue
02-16-2020, 09:03 AM

Exactly. the poster I replied to said the recent schedule for the flames was tough. I'm just saying he's wrong. It hasn't been tough at all. Lots of bottom feeding teams.

dissentowner
02-16-2020, 09:45 AM
That didn’t even happen today

Today, Chicago passed 3 times from behind the goal line out front for one timers
Then Dube fed a guy in alone, unexpected by Rittich

Then Talbot read possession really poorly

I’m out now because I don’t think a lot of people with opinions watched the game and/or understand hockey and how goals are scored

You are wrong. The fact that Ward talked after the game about how they didn't work hard enough to retrieve pucks in corners after dump ins proves it. This guy reminds me of Brian Sutter, his whole system is dump and chase and work hard to retrieve pucks in board battles. That worked great in the big player era but it is outdated and certainly won't work for a small skilled team. I hope they sneak into the playoffs just because they can use the playoff experience but this coach is terrible for this team. There is a reason our skilled forwards always look miserable and don't produce, they can't with the system being employed.

Huntingwhale
02-16-2020, 09:48 AM
Well so much for all that work to get the goal differential back to normal. I was going to watch the game this morning but accidentally saw the score. Guess it's for the best.

motorcrosser
02-16-2020, 09:52 AM
Maybe.. And I hate to type it, there's something in the water.

Toonage
02-16-2020, 09:55 AM
Bang on re: dump in/chip & chase. Peters system (to start with anyway) was carry it in. Its what this team is built to do. Zone entries with speed. Teams figured that out. Well, Colorado did. And there was no adjustment other than to dump it in.

Burning Beard
02-16-2020, 09:57 AM
This team feels so stale. After the playoffs at the start of the year there was some mold growing on the edges and it feels like the lack of any moves has let that mold grow into the core.

OldSam
02-16-2020, 10:23 AM
I also recall the year Darryl Sutter came in and we missed the playoffs. He said it wouldn't happen again and it didn't until he became GM and tried to do too much.

I am not saying get Darryl, although he would certainly not tolerate this inconsistency...ever. I just wanted to point out what an experienced coach can do.

Hey Connor, It's Mess
02-16-2020, 10:27 AM
It blows my mind that NHL level coaches can look at this roster and think dump+chase and grinding out wins is what these players are suited for.

The Familia
02-16-2020, 10:43 AM
I went to GLOW fest on Stephen Ave last night and it sucked (there were no lights!). It was free.
19289 people went to the Saddledome last night and watched another #### kicking on home ice. They paid anywhere from $30-500 for tickets.....I’m glad I chose the option that I did.

kukkudo
02-16-2020, 10:43 AM
Tre is gonna bring in a new coach this summer when his retooling of the core is complete. Lots of fans should be ready for that, I don’t see the same core leadership group and a brand new coach next season.

It sucks because I wished Tre hired a top flight coach 4 years ago to see what this core group could do with a legit coach. But I don’t see that happening anymore.

DeluxeMoustache
02-16-2020, 10:51 AM
Rittich was not good. Sorry bud. As I mentioned in the pregame thread, he has been mediocre or worse for over 6 weeks now. His numbers are not good.

I get it though. You think he is great.

Edit: just read the rest of your points and thought I’d just reply to all here.

- goals 1, 3 and 4 were all savable. Good goalies make big saves.
- you are going to have to make a whole lot of excuses if you are going to justify your argument that Rittich isn’t part of the problem right now.
<.900 sv% in 8 of last 13 games and has benn yanked 3 times.

I think the D has been awful this year. But Rittich isn’t playing consistent hockey either.

Your ‘savable’ goals all had something in common. Chicago guys one on one with the goalie with ample time and space to pick their spot.

Rittich should not even have to face the shot that Dube inexplicably passed in to the slot. That play should not happen.

I have little use for sv% as the be all end all argument for evaluating goaltending. It is one of the most over relied upon numbers which people use which only counts shots and goals, and has absolutely no consideration at all for how much time a shooter has and where they place their shots.

sv% is firstly a team D stat, which can then subsequently be torpedoed by bad goaltending (see Hiller, Jonas)

If you can’t see the difference between Anaheim’s 44 shots, many which were in to Talbot’s logo, and Chicago’s 28, well.. I can’t help you

And to the people complaining about the Flames trying to grind out a win dump and chase style, well, they let in 8 goals. Why aren’t you complaining about the defensive lapses? It is curious to see through the lens of other people

MolsonInBothHands
02-16-2020, 10:55 AM
Honeymoon with Ward is over I am afraid. His post game last night was infuriating. So sick of clichés.
This team isn't good enough for rentals. Trades need to be involving revamping some of what we thought were core.
A real head coach now would be helpful to assess between now and the draft who that might be.
Frustrating to watch this season be wasted.

Flamenspiel
02-16-2020, 11:06 AM
Nm

DeluxeMoustache
02-16-2020, 11:08 AM
Duplicate

DeluxeMoustache
02-16-2020, 11:09 AM
You are wrong. The fact that Ward talked after the game about how they didn't work hard enough to retrieve pucks in corners after dump ins proves it. This guy reminds me of Brian Sutter, his whole system is dump and chase and work hard to retrieve pucks in board battles. That worked great in the big player era but it is outdated and certainly won't work for a small skilled team. I hope they sneak into the playoffs just because they can use the playoff experience but this coach is terrible for this team. There is a reason our skilled forwards always look miserable and don't produce, they can't with the system being employed.

You want to talk about wrong? Re watch what Ward said and try to find the things you are claiming he said. Because they are not there

I listened to Ward’s 5 minutes on the Flames site. It’s here, I forget how to embed non YouTube video links

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/post-game-ward-150220/c-5259833

He makes a general remark at one point about battles and compete ‘when you throw a puck in the corner, who is going to come up with it?’ but he was not talking about this with respect to their offence.

Some highlights
- he pulled Rittich for a momentum change, they left Rittich hung out to dry on a few of those
- mentions they didn’t win as many battles down low and also that the did not break up as many cycles as usual
- mentions at least twice about sloppy slot coverage and that there needs to be more there
- he felt they didn’t create a lot early as they didn’t have the puck enough and found their legs a bit in the third but at that point you are chasing the game from pretty far away

Seems Ward watched the same game I did

Reign of Fire
02-16-2020, 11:12 AM
The game was bad, but I am getting tired of the chicken little crowd. Don't come cheering here after a win, if you are going scream "sky is falling" after every loss. Also, we are missing our best defenceman.

This was a bad call on the coach for starting Rittich after shutout performance by Talbot. You have to ride the hot hand. They fought to tie it twice, but those two quick goals by Chicago sank 'em.

Erick Estrada
02-16-2020, 11:20 AM
The game was bad, but I am getting tired of the chicken little crowd. Don't come cheering here after a win, if you are going scream "sky is falling" after every loss. Also, we are missing our best defenceman.

This was a bad call on the coach for starting Rittich after shutout performance by Talbot. You have to ride the hot hand. They fought to tie it twice, but those two quick goals by Chicago sank 'em.

LOL they got totally beat down by another non-playoff team after getting handled by the Kings earlier in the week. If that isn't worthy of sky falling takes I don't know what is. I'm sorry but some fans simply aren't going to accept weak efforts from this team as just a routine game in an 82 game season. Flames have by far the worst goal differential of any team in a playoff spot, in fact there are several non-playoff teams with positive goal differentials. There is something wrong with a team that gets blown out as much as this one and it's not something that should be smothered by the positive crowd.

DeluxeMoustache
02-16-2020, 11:21 AM

Well, there were two sets of quick goals.

The ones on Rittich that made it 4-2 were 1:04 apart, after which the Flames got it back to 4-3

The second set of 2 quick goals on Talbot were 27 seconds apart and made it 6-3

The Flames scored 4 goals. Which set of 2 sank ‘em?

DazzlinDino
02-16-2020, 11:27 AM
I also recall the year Darryl Sutter came in and we missed the playoffs. He said it wouldn't happen again and it didn't until he became GM and tried to do too much.

I am not saying get Darryl, although he would certainly not tolerate this inconsistency...ever. I just wanted to point out what an experienced coach can do.

If we lost 2 to 1 Darryl Sutter wanted to know why we scored enough to win but still lost the game. You never found a lazy player on his teams and he didn't allow excuses. But like Hartley, if players lost a hard fought game he was the first to admit it and was honest about it. Are these current Flames the hardest working teams?, no. Are our top layers better than the other teams top players, no! The current coach is not experienced enough to know how to motivate individuals or get them completely focused on a single goal.

Here is a good Darryl Sutter read, talks his ability to motivate and some about his time with the Flames.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2089930-the-genius-of-darryl-sutter-how-kings-coach-gets-the-most-out-of-his-players

dissentowner
02-16-2020, 11:32 AM
You want to talk about wrong? Re watch what Ward said and try to find the things you are claiming he said. Because they are not there

I listened to Ward’s 5 minutes on the Flames site. It’s here, I forget how to embed non YouTube video links

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/post-game-ward-150220/c-5259833

He makes a general remark at one point about battles and compete ‘when you throw a puck in the corner, who is going to come up with it?’ but he was not talking about this with respect to their offence.

Some highlights
- he pulled Rittich for a momentum change, they left Rittich hung out to dry on a few of those
- mentions they didn’t win as many battles down low and also that the did not break up as many cycles as usual
- mentions at least twice about sloppy slot coverage and that there needs to be more there
- he felt they didn’t create a lot early as they didn’t have the puck enough and found their legs a bit in the third but at that point you are chasing the game from pretty far away

Seems Ward watched the same game I did

Jesus, stop arguing it, everybody else saw it but you apparently. He wasn't talking about chasing pucks in corners referring to the offence? Then what did he mean by that? They tried it the WHOLE game. As to your earlier post about the defence if you are playing chip and chase and lose the board battles giving up possession constantly you are going to get owned. If you play a possession game that isn't happening. It is obvious by his comments Ward did not watch the same game you did, neither did anybody else for that matter. They played dump and chase but you didn't see that. The goaltending was mediocre but you didn't see that either. Not sure what you were watching but it was not the Flames/Hawks game.

keeper34
02-16-2020, 11:33 AM
They forgot to wear their third Jersey

Reign of Fire
02-16-2020, 11:36 AM
Well, there were two sets of quick goals.

The ones on Rittich that made it 4-2 were 1:04 apart, after which the Flames got it back to 4-3

The second set of 2 quick goals on Talbot were 27 seconds apart and made it 6-3

The Flames scored 4 goals. Which set of 2 sank ‘em?Which ones do you think I mean? They fought back to tie it...obviously the latter two sank them. You can only fight back so many times.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Joborule
02-16-2020, 11:55 AM
Well that sucks.

The odds were totally stacked against them. No good team is going to win that game.

This is a super late response, but I just feel I have to say something about it.

I don't know if this is just some on the forum that say it, or every fanbase has this kind of philosophy, but it makes no sense whatsoever that we make these kinda of excuses for the franchise history the Flames have had for the past couple of decades.

I guess because the Flames have been one of the most mediocre franchises in that span, that we're so conditioned to losing. We pass on excuses for games where the odds are LARGELY in favour for the Flames actually. The Flames are at home which should be an advantage, won three of their past four games where they've light the lamp each time, and playing against a weak team that's been on a bad losing skid. How the #### do you get tuned, giving up 8 goals out of that?

The Flames inconsistency is madneing, but it's always how they have been save for a few seasons, because that's how mediocre teams perform. So I suppose that the quotes above are relevant when it comes to the Flames, but it's not the norm for hockey teams in general; especially good quality teams that have chances of making a playoff run.

EDIT: And now reading further, I see the sarcasm in your posts. Okay I'll check myself out. :bag:

Strange Brew
02-16-2020, 12:04 PM
^ ironically the post immediately after my first one brought out the tried and true “trap game” comment.

Flash Walken
02-16-2020, 12:04 PM
This is a super late response, but I just feel I have to say something about it.

I don't know if this is just some on the forum that say it, or every fanbase has this kind of philosophy, but it makes no sense whatsoever that we make these kinda of excuses for the franchise history the Flames have had for the past couple of decades.

I guess because the Flames have been one of the most mediocre franchises in that span, that we're so conditioned to losing. We pass on excuses for games where the odds are LARGELY in favour for the Flames actually. The Flames are at home which should be an advantage, won three of their past four games where they've light the lamp each time, and playing against a weak team that's been on a bad losing skid. How the #### do you get tuned, giving up 8 goals out of that?

The Flames inconsistency is madneing, but it's always how they have been save for a few seasons, because that's how mediocre teams perform. So I suppose that the quotes above are relevant when it comes to the Flames, but it's not the norm for hockey teams in general; especially good quality teams that have chances of making a playoff run.

It is a marked commentary sbout this board when high level sarcasm like what strange brew and Aarongavey are laying down in this thread is perceived as serious commentary.

I don't blame you at all for not seeing it, it's nearly imperceptible compared to much of the same fawning and team servitude that goes on here.

The flames just had the doors blown off twice in a week and it's still rough to tell if someone is being sarcastic or not about whether the flames are a good team that just had a bad night.

Just to clarify, he is making a joke about how this team sucks.

Manhattanboy
02-16-2020, 12:11 PM
It is a marked commentary sbout this board when high level sarcasm like what strange brew and Aarongavey are laying down in this thread is perceived as serious commentary.

I don't blame you at all for not seeing it, it's nearly imperceptible compared to much of the same fawning and team servitude that goes on here.

The flames just had the doors blown off twice in a week and it's still rough to tell if someone is being sarcastic or not about whether the flames are a good team that just had a bad night.

Just to clarify, he is making a joke about how this team sucks.

Apparently except for a couple of unfortunate breakdowns the Flames played “great” last night.

GioforPM
02-16-2020, 12:11 PM
^ ironically the post immediately after my first one brought out the tried and true “trap game” comment.

If this is directed at me, I will say it again, “trap game” is not an excuse. It’s an indictment. Good teams don’t fall victim to trap games. Trap games are ones that lazy and unfocused teams lose.

Coaches tell their teams an upcoming game is a “trap game” to remind them not to take it lightly.

Flash Walken
02-16-2020, 12:19 PM
Apparently except for a couple of unfortunate breakdowns the Flames played “great” last night.

They just didn't get the bounces!

Strange Brew
02-16-2020, 12:19 PM
The term “trap game” is not one I would use for this club. It implies a superior club being trapped by an inferior opponent through taking them lightly.

GioforPM
02-16-2020, 12:20 PM
The term “trap game” is not one I would use for this club. It implies a superior club being trapped by an inferior opponent through taking them lightly.

Calgary, though mediocre, is a superior to Chicago, which is beginning a rebuild.

Joborule
02-16-2020, 12:23 PM
Calgary, though mediocre, is a superior to Chicago, which is beginning a rebuild.

Calgary though is fighting for their playoff lives. There's a strong possibility that Chicago's and Calgary's season will end on the very same day.

There's no reason for the Flames to be looking past the Blackhawks. Especially when only two games alone, they lost to a team worse than the Blackhawks, and as a result lost the season series as a whole.

I don't think Flames were looking past them to make it a trap game. It's just simply the team is not good. So they will continue to have duds against teams worse then them in the standings on a occasional basis.

GioforPM
02-16-2020, 12:25 PM
Calgary though is fighting for their playoff lives. There's a strong possibility that Chicago's and Calgary's season will end on the very same day.

There's no reason for the Flames to be looking past the Blackhawks. Especially when only two games alone, they lost to a team worse than the Blackhawks, and as a result lost the season series as a whole.

I don't think Flames were looking past them to make it a trap game. It's just simply the team is not good. So they will continue to have duds against teams worse then them in the standings on a occasional basis.

I think they got back after a decent road trip, slept in their own beds, had an easier opponent, and didn’t give the effort they needed. I don’t know if it’s looking past so much as they seem to get very easily satisfied, from game to game and even within a game (they tied it up and then figured “we’re good”).

Strange Brew
02-16-2020, 12:29 PM

Chicago is 6 points back of Calgary with 2 games in hand. They have one less regulation win and now, a better goal differential.

If Calgary is superior, it’s not being measured by the things that matter.

But we’ll always have last year.

GioforPM
02-16-2020, 12:31 PM
Chicago is 6 points back of Calgary with 2 games in hand. They have one less regulation win and now, a better goal differential.

Aren’t points things that matter?

dino7c
02-16-2020, 12:32 PM

Except points....the only thing that actually matters, Calgary has more of them

getoverit
02-16-2020, 12:32 PM
nahhhh they get participation ribbons :)
Aren’t points things that matter?

Strange Brew
02-16-2020, 12:44 PM

Did you read what I posted? That’s the first thing I said.

Of course some people say it’s the game on the ice that matters.

Manhattanboy
02-16-2020, 01:00 PM
After last night’s debacle Flames playoff chances dropped 18.6% to 42.3%.

Playoff snake on life support.

Joborule
02-16-2020, 01:05 PM

By 6 points. 3 wins, and you get 6 points from that.

Calgary is not that much more superior than the Blackhawks, if at all. They are within the same tier as each other by that separation.

This is not like a Tampa Bay spread we're talking about here. Big difference being seperated by 6 points (3 wins), and 23 points (11.5 wins).

stang
02-16-2020, 01:11 PM

They played less games and in a tougher division.

Duffalufagus
02-16-2020, 01:21 PM
This is bad hockey team. By almost any objective measure.

Don’t do anything. Hire a coach in the summer. Go from there. Do not buy anything.

Mightyfire89
02-16-2020, 05:20 PM
Burkie in the second intermission saying something like “it wasn’t a hard kick and the guy wasn’t hurt” or words to that effect regarding the Kassian incident made me lose any respect I had for him. I wonder if a guy was trying to kill Burke by taking a shot at him with a rifle but missed and then didn’t shoot any more, would Burke just brush it off and not want the person to face any sort of punishment? Or even a lesser punishment? It’s absurd.

Also, this team stinks. Either hire a real coach and go for it or give up on this gong show of a season and sell certain pieces for picks and do a retool. Maintaining the status quo is the worst option by far.

Reign of Fire
02-18-2020, 04:20 PM
LOL they got totally beat down by another non-playoff team after getting handled by the Kings earlier in the week. If that isn't worthy of sky falling takes I don't know what is. I'm sorry but some fans simply aren't going to accept weak efforts from this team as just a routine game in an 82 game season. Flames have by far the worst goal differential of any team in a playoff spot, in fact there are several non-playoff teams with positive goal differentials. There is something wrong with a team that gets blown out as much as this one and it's not something that should be smothered by the positive crowd.So don't come cheering on the wins. I usually call it like I see it. Shouldn't be celebrating everytime they win, if you are going to cry like a baby when they lose. Some of you act like they are the worst team in the league.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk