PDA

View Full Version : Not looking good for Micheal Ferland "again"

Snuffleupagus
02-15-2020, 01:29 AM
Suffered his 5 concussion in 3 years tonight on a rehab assignment in Utica.

Doctors should just recommend retirement before he has no quality of life left.

Update: back in the game and looking good...fingers crossed

2nd update, not looking good again with looks like his 6th concussion.

Just retire man and enjoy your family.

N-E-B
02-15-2020, 01:38 AM
Man that’s tough to hear. Even though he’s a dirty Canuck I still love the guy. Kind of thinking he should just retire too. He’s got a very young child at home.

Jetfire
02-15-2020, 01:38 AM
Love Ferly. Such a shame this is happening to him. I agree, he should hang up the skates, get into coaching or something perhaps if he still wants to be involved in the game. He's got a young family and his whole life ahead of him, not to mention he has had a respectable pro career to look back on.

sempuki
02-15-2020, 01:46 AM
Totally saw this coming. Not everyone gets to make a couple million playing a childrens game. Retire and enjoy the rest of life with a higher level of quality.

monkeyman
02-15-2020, 01:47 AM
As much as I hate the Canucks, I hate this more.
Good luck Ferly, you'll live forever in our hearts as we fondly remember the 14-15 playoff series in which you played a huge role in knocking out the Canucks.

Kidder
02-15-2020, 01:48 AM
When I think of the Flames in the 2010s, I will think of Ferkland and the force he was in our lone playoff series win.

Blaster86
02-15-2020, 01:48 AM
For the record, he did not suffer a new concussion tonight. He is still experiencing symptoms from a concussion he got near the beginning of the season.

AC
02-15-2020, 02:09 AM
He also has a 2nd baby girl that was just born last month.

I hope Ferly can continue his career safely.

btimbit
02-15-2020, 02:10 AM
I'll never stop rooting for this guy

KootenayFlamesFan
02-15-2020, 04:10 AM
I saw this story tonight and all I can think is.........just retire.

It sucks to stop playing at a young age, but with a family like he has, other things are more important in life. Sucks to say, but I hope to read that he's hung them up for good soon.

Cali Panthers Fan
02-15-2020, 04:27 AM
For the record, he did not suffer a new concussion tonight. He is still experiencing symptoms from a concussion he got near the beginning of the season.

Which is actually worse as far as his long-term prognosis goes.

cam_wmh
02-15-2020, 04:46 AM
I saw this story tonight and all I can think is.........just retire.

It sucks to stop playing at a young age, but with a family like he has, other things are more important in life. Sucks to say, but I hope to read that he's hung them up for good soon.

Unofficially, yep he should. Ride it out on LTIR, and collect that remaining $9.5m

Roof-Daddy
02-15-2020, 04:47 AM
Anton Volchenkov you piece of ####.

Hockey_Ninja
02-15-2020, 05:28 AM
I feel so bad for the guy. Concussions are the absolute worse. He should retire before his issues get even worse.

Gugstanley
02-15-2020, 07:14 AM
Unofficially, yep he should. Ride it out on LTIR, and collect that remaining $9.5m

Concussions are no joke and can take a long time to recover from. At minimum he should shut down this season and reassess for next season.

Vinny01
02-15-2020, 08:24 AM
Really glad he was able to get his money this summer. I also hope he is able to bounce back

Infinit47
02-15-2020, 08:26 AM
That sucks. He's got to be thinking about his long term health now.

albertGQ
02-15-2020, 08:26 AM
Hate the Canucks. But glad they gave him that contract. If his career is over, he’s set for life thanks to them.

sempuki
02-15-2020, 08:41 AM
Hate the Canucks. But glad they gave him that contract. If his career is over, he’s set for life thanks to them.

After taxes and fees, the number gets a lot smaller. And that has to last you until retirement, if you don't have other marketable skills.

Still, it's a good quality of life for most people. He should take it and run.

CaptainCrunch
02-15-2020, 09:05 AM
Really feel for Ferland, he's a heart and soul player who's had a really tough and inspiring journey to the NHL, he deserves better but sometimes our bodies don't cooperate.

I'm hoping that he's having serious discussions with the Canucks and his supporters about stopping. I also hope he's got a good support group around him.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
02-15-2020, 09:08 AM
After taxes and fees, the number gets a lot smaller. And that has to last you until retirement, if you don't have other marketable skills.

I hate to focus on this in this thread, as this is horrible news for Ferly and it’s not about the money, it’s just sad he may not get to continue his career, that’s devastating.

But the whole argument that comes up for players that there money has to last until retirement drives me nuts. One they’ve got 20 working years left to do something else and develop more marketable skills should they want more money, just like the rest of us have too. Two, even for a guy like Ferly, he’s Shoukd be set money wise if he doesn’t want to work.

He’s earned just under $10M so far in his career and us owed about $8M more on his current contract that’s insured no doubt. We all pay taxes. He will have earned the equivalent of someone who works a 40 year career and earns 450K a year each year.......All if it up front before he’s 35. He should be very much set for life if he wants to be.

GGG
02-15-2020, 10:43 AM

So he ends up with 9 million after tax over his career. Assuming half is wasted he has 4.5 million left. At a 4% SWR he can take 180k per year out forever with relatively low risk.

Yamer
02-15-2020, 10:44 AM
When I first started going to the U of C the Flames would have their prospects play a game at the Father David Bauer Arena. If you've never seen a game there it is quite an intimate, old-school college rink. Fans would sit on one side, while most media and team personnel were on the other. Flames scratches would gather to watch the game in the far corner away from from the main entrance. Ferland was scratched the first time I attended.

The concession was closed the first time, so if you wanted a snack or drink you had to go all the way around the rink near the corner where the Flames scratches were to access the vending machines. As I wandered over I saw the Flames players standing in their suits, watching the game, joking around. All except one. Ferland was talking to a few kids who had wandered over. It was charming in how he introduced himself as "I'm Micheal, what's your names?", never talked about being a player or a big deal, and just chatted hockey and school with them.

I don't remember what happened that game, but that always stuck with me. That's the kind of person he was starting out, and I always felt good hearing those stories throughout his career. I am fully in the boat rooting for Ferland to get healthy and be as happy as he's made others in his life.

Best wishes, Micheal.

Matty81
02-15-2020, 10:59 AM
Feel like we really saw concussion issues start that one playoffs. Bieksa the plastic tough guy jumped him in the corner and landed a shot flush before he even had his gloves off rather than squaring off. Ferland stood in but then rigth away I the next round against Anaheim I remember him lining someone up for a hit and getting elbowed hard in the face and heading to the bench looking concussed. Two super hard shots to the head in 3 games.

Glad he got his payday. Hope he has a great life outside of hockey.

Flash Walken
02-15-2020, 11:45 AM
Feel like we really saw concussion issues start that one playoffs. Bieksa the plastic tough guy jumped him in the corner and landed a shot flush before he even had his gloves off rather than squaring off. Ferland stood in but then rigth away I the next round against Anaheim I remember him lining someone up for a hit and getting elbowed hard in the face and heading to the bench looking concussed. Two super hard shots to the head in 3 games.

It was an elbow from Nate Thompson that started it that season.

Ferland tried to run around in the Anaheim series like he had in the Canucks series and the Ducks were just a significantly tougher and dirtier team.

100s of sub-concussive impacts over his career. 64 fights in the last 10 years.

Robo
02-15-2020, 11:45 AM
If he retires he forfeits all that money doesnt he? Best to just go on ltir no?

Zoller
02-15-2020, 12:10 PM
If he retires he forfeits all that money doesnt he? Best to just go on ltir no?

No way he actually retires. It's either LTIR or he plays.

Great thing about concussions is it's easy to just say you're still feeling symptoms. If he doesn't want to ever play another game he doesn't have to.

I'm not saying that's what he's doing. I'm just saying maybe he should look after that brain of his. I'm sure he knows the risks better than anyone though.

I'm glad he got his money.

CalgaryFan1988
02-15-2020, 12:13 PM
Always liked Ferland, he is the type of player I really enjoy watching play.

browna
02-15-2020, 12:18 PM

Yeah the Ducks weren't the Canucks and we're ready for him trying the same stiff. He tried for that hit his second shift of game 1, and that was that for his running around, and then was out for half an hour of real time.

Guaranteed he has other episodes with the Flames, before and after, and undoubtedly some in the WHL, just not official.

As of course has been proven, once you have a few, the next one's come much easier.

Very surprised anyone have him that kind of deal, these signs were pretty obvious in his time in Carolina.

AC
02-15-2020, 01:30 PM
Yeah Volchenkov was suspended in 2014 for his dirty elbow giving Ferland his first official concussion I believe.

c-40305603

It was Ferly's 1st NHL game too.

Beatle17
02-15-2020, 02:18 PM

Still works out to over $4M. You would have to make $200K per year for 40 years to take home that much money. I think he will be alright, can pretty well work any job he wants if he wants for the rest of his life.

Reggie Dunlop
02-15-2020, 02:24 PM
Michael Ferland overcame some formidable obstacles to make it to The Show. It's a shame if it ends this way, but hopefully he'll still have the support he needs going forward.

Flash Walken
02-15-2020, 02:32 PM
Yeah Volchenkov was suspended in 2014 for his dirty elbow giving Ferland his first official concussion I believe.

c-40305603

It was Ferly's 1st NHL game too.

So ####ing dirty

midniteowl
02-15-2020, 02:32 PM
Nevermind, beaten by AC

I've always like Furland, hope he get better soon.

getbak
02-17-2020, 07:17 PM
He's officially shut down for the rest of the season...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERBfIl_W4AAYuq1?format=jpg&name=small

Dion
02-17-2020, 07:23 PM
5rUfBqq9-b0

Tron_fdc
02-17-2020, 07:29 PM
I love Ferly. Always have.

Guy needs to hang em up and become an indiginous role model through speaking engagements or appearances. That’s as important as him being a top 6 NHLer. Probably more.

oldschoolcalgary
02-17-2020, 07:34 PM
its a tough break for sure... was pulling for Ferly to be able to make a recovery, but at this point, he's going to have to start thinking about his future...

activeStick
03-11-2020, 09:38 AM
Ferland is still trying to return next year.

JohnnyB
03-11-2020, 10:23 AM
Ferland is still trying to return next year.

Jeez, I would expect the guy is getting medical advice on this, but how could this be worth it? Unless he has been very irresponsible in managing his money, the added income from a return seems like it should pale in comparison to what he's risking. It's not like he's Crosby and can make a big contribution without mixing it up and taking more shots to the head.

I loved Ferland when he played with the Flames. I hope this all has a happy ending for him despite it seeming pretty risky and perhaps irresponsible.

Textcritic
03-11-2020, 11:11 AM
Jeez, I would expect the guy is getting medical advice on this, but how could this be worth it? Unless he has been very irresponsible in managing his money, the added income from a return seems like it should pale in comparison to what he's risking. It's not like he's Crosby and can make a big contribution without mixing it up and taking more shots to the head.

I loved Ferland when he played with the Flames. I hope this all has a happy ending for him despite it seeming pretty risky and perhaps irresponsible.This strikes me as an expected response. NHL players are the best of the best hockey players on earth, and they don't get there unless they are ultra competitive. I would imagine Ferland will do everything he can to get back.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

tvp2003
03-11-2020, 11:55 AM
I'm confident Ferland is getting the best medical treatment and advice available -- what he does with that advice is up to him.

I will state that I think Ferland could still be an effective player without the physicality -- he can still skate well, plays 200 feet, is disciplined, and has an above average shot. I also believe he got his last actual concussion (versus just a relapse of symptoms) from a fight, which in hindsight was probably not a good idea.

Flash Walken
03-11-2020, 12:14 PM
It's important he train and rehab as if a return is possible. A goal to achieve, a reason to maintain hope.

He's also got to proceed as if he intends to play to fulfill his contract.

Because of the league's approach to head injuries, he will have to continue to train and deal with symptoms for a good deal longer before he's declared unfit to play by league doctors.

Another 5-6 months of symptoms may be enough to call it a career, but not yet.

Keith Primeau played a handful of games at the start of his last season before suffering a concussion, but didn't end up retiring until almost a full year later. that was 15 years ago.

Badgers Nose
03-11-2020, 01:26 PM
Ferland may retire, but Ferkland will live in our hearts forever.

monkeyman
06-08-2020, 06:57 PM
Ferland cleared to skate. Great news that he's not showing any symptoms. I still think it'd be foolish for him to try and return to professional hockey given his history of concussions.

https://www.tsn.ca/vancouver-canucks-fw-micheal-ferland-concussion-cleared-to-skate-fw-josh-leivo-knee-still-out-1.1484149

lazypucker
06-08-2020, 09:18 PM
He has another 3 years at 3.5mil each left. I don't think he will just retire now and give up $10.5 mil...

codynw
06-08-2020, 10:26 PM
He has another 3 years at 3.5mil each left. I don't think he will just retire now and give up $10.5 mil...

People have gone on LTIR for dumber reasons than a brutal concussion history. All it would take is for him to get a doctor to say it's too risky to keep playing.

agulati
06-09-2020, 08:21 AM
I hope he gets solid advice and takes it from the medical professional. It is tough to walk away from a sport that you love and excel at, but you have to consider long term life implications of another concussion, or even on the basis of all of them he has already had so farz

Envitro
06-09-2020, 01:10 PM
isn't there some sort of insurance for contracts like this? In case of massive life-threatening injury?

Huntingwhale
06-09-2020, 02:22 PM
I'm glad Ferland got his big contract recently. At least if he walks away, which nobody would fault him, he'll be taken care of his entire life and still be able to do something else as a career should he choose.

He's my favorite Canuck ever (gross).

Redrum
06-09-2020, 02:48 PM
Sucks that he ended up a Canuck. But all that tells me is he made them so afraid when he was here, they had to get him when given the chance. As much to not have to play against him as to have him play for them.

monkeyman
06-09-2020, 05:17 PM
isn't there some sort of insurance for contracts like this? In case of massive life-threatening injury?

I can't speak to Ferland's case, but you have to imagine, with Ferland's history, if you're an insurance company, you are not going anywhere near that contract.

I too am glad Ferland got that contract, and man, am I ever happy he's not feeling the effects of concussions, but I really hope he never plays another game in the NHL. Especially playoff hockey. At what point does the risk outweigh he reward?
But keep collecting that money from the Canucks.

Blaster86
06-09-2020, 06:29 PM
I sincerely hope that these risks are really worth it for him. I want to see him play and be healthy, but unless that's guaranteed I don't want to see him risk his future for a sport.

FlamesAddiction
06-09-2020, 06:32 PM
If a player with a serious concussion issue is cleared medically to play, does he have to play in order to not forfeit his contract? Or would he have the ability to decline and stay on IR?

Blaster86
06-09-2020, 06:40 PM
If a player with a serious concussion issue is cleared medically to play, does he have to play in order to not forfeit his contract? Or would he have the ability to decline and stay on IR?

I'd be legitimately shocked and choked if the Canucks did not honour it.

Nathan Horton is still getting paid iirc and he was done in by concussions.

codynw
06-09-2020, 06:53 PM
I'd be legitimately shocked and choked if the Canucks did not honour it.

Nathan Horton is still getting paid iirc and he was done in by concussions.

I thought Horton had back issues?

Poe969
06-09-2020, 07:13 PM
I could see him "retiring" so there is no cap hit but then gets a job with the org that pays him about the same

Blaster86
06-09-2020, 07:31 PM
I thought Horton had back issues?

You are correct.

FlamesAddiction
06-09-2020, 08:17 PM
I could see him "retiring" so there is no cap hit but then gets a job with the org that pays him about the same

The Mike Illich special.

CorsiHockeyLeague
06-09-2020, 08:23 PM
There's no cap hit either way, is there?

I also figured once he had a couple of failed attempts to play this year he was done. It's up to him though, I think at this point the league has gotten to a place where people with concussion history are making well informed decisions.

getbak
06-09-2020, 08:28 PM
There's no cap hit either way, is there?
Yes, LTIR still carries a cap hit. The team can replace that cap hit while the player is out, but it all still counts. More importantly, the money paid to both the injured player and the replacement(s) all counts towards the players' share of revenue.

Itse
06-10-2020, 09:00 AM
Yes, LTIR still carries a cap hit. The team can replace that cap hit while the player is out, but it all still counts. More importantly, the money paid to both the injured player and the replacement(s) all counts towards the players' share of revenue.

IIRC the league is planning to change things so that LTIR doesn't count against the cap. (The current system is overly complicated and creates some weird situations, so would make sense.)

CorsiHockeyLeague
06-10-2020, 09:14 AM
Yes, LTIR still carries a cap hit.
Yeah, but it seems to me this only matters for purposes of clearing the cap floor, since you're allowed to exceed the cap by the amount of money on LTIR. My point is that there's no real benefit to the organization if he were to retire and get a job with the organization for the same salary, so I don't know why they would do that.

cannon7
06-10-2020, 10:25 AM
He signed a well deserved contract. Should just ride it out on IR and then retire.

dino7c
06-10-2020, 10:43 AM
If only he had itchy equipment he could get his money no problem

BACKCHECK!!!
06-10-2020, 11:31 AM
Do you think he'd fit in a Scorch costume?

Erick Estrada
06-10-2020, 11:53 AM
If only he had itchy equipment he could get his money no problem

I believe equipment rashes are more of a common occurence with players of front loaded contracts making considerably less actual money in the last years of the deal.

Funkhouser
07-25-2020, 06:26 AM
Ferland is back and on the second line. He has apparently been their best forward throughout the scrimmages.

Thought people might be interested to hear.

dino7c
07-25-2020, 04:11 PM
Ferland is back and on the second line. He has apparently been their best forward throughout the scrimmages.

Thought people might be interested to hear.

I wish him well but think he is taking a pretty big risk here

Blaster86
07-25-2020, 08:08 PM
Ferland has been great in the mini-camp. I sincerely hope that the issues are behind him, for him and his family's sake.

Snuffleupagus
07-25-2020, 10:29 PM
He signed a well deserved contract. Should just ride it out on IR and then retire.
It shows that playing in the NHL is his passion, not just the big money.

I fear the worst though, his style of play likely wont get him to another contract regardless of his passion.

dino7c
07-26-2020, 03:09 AM
Ferland has been great in the mini-camp. I sincerely hope that the issues are behind him, for him and his family's sake.

Issues like he has had don't just go away...he will have another concussion if he continues to play

Scroopy Noopers
07-26-2020, 07:02 AM
Issues like he has had don't just go away...he will have another concussion if he continues to play

* what everyone said about Crosby.

As someone who had extensive post concussion problems, I am concerned about him as well. But they have access to the best doctors in the country, I’m sure there is a plan in place to make sure he stays healthy. There is definitely risk, but nothing is a sure thing. Especially when it comes to head injuries.

I do hope I never see him drop the gloves though.

Robbob
07-26-2020, 08:25 AM
Difference between Crosby and Ferland is Ferland plays a more physical role or game if his is going to be effective. That will only add risk. Crosby is a bad comparison. Ferland is more at risk of likely going the the route of a long list of other players. Hope the best for him though.

Scroopy Noopers
07-26-2020, 08:28 AM
Difference between Crosby and Ferland is Ferland plays a more physical role or game if his is going to be effective. That will only add risk. Crosby is a bad comparison. Ferland is more at risk of likely going the the route of a long list of other players. Hope the best for him though.

He took a slap shot to the face afterwards and broke his jaw. And had no concussion issues following. He missed almost a year prior due to concussion. It’s certainly an example of “one more head shot doesn’t mean relapse into concussion symptoms”.

Scroopy Noopers
07-26-2020, 08:32 AM
Also wasn’t Ferlands most recent (or second most recent) injury a shoulder injury? That everyone just assumed was a concussion because it’s Ferland.

The guy has an on call professional medical team. They know what they’re doing.

BigErnSalute_16
07-26-2020, 09:37 AM
And one of Crosby's "concussions" was actually a neck issue that was giving him some concussion-like symptoms if I am remembering correctly

Scroopy Noopers
07-26-2020, 09:40 AM
And one of Crosby's "concussions" was actually a neck issue that was giving him some concussion-like symptoms if I am remembering correctly

Well I somehow completely missed that news, interesting. If that’s the case then yeah that was a terrible example!

Edit: wow it’s great to see how much love there is for Ferland.

tvp2003
07-26-2020, 10:09 AM
Edit: wow it’s great to see how much love there is for Ferland.

I rarely cheer for players after they’ve left or been traded away. Ferland is a definite exception to that rule (even though he plays for the Canucks).

Strange Brew
07-26-2020, 10:45 AM

It is possible he is receiving some medical advice from qualified experts on whether he should play.

Itse
07-26-2020, 11:00 AM
It is possible he is receiving some medical advice from qualified experts on whether he should play.

Obviously everyone hopes he's making a good informed decision here, but people don't always do the rational thing no matter how well informed they are.

Let's just hope everything goes well.

dino7c
07-26-2020, 11:03 AM

Yeah, like every other player in history who came back when they shouldn't have. All cleared to play by experts

Plett25
07-26-2020, 11:28 AM
Could we change the name of the thread to something along the lines of "Micheal Ferland news"

My heart sinks every time this thread gets bumped.

I loved Ferklund as a Flame and he's my most favourite Canuck ever. Ok, the only Canuck I've ever liked.

Strange Brew
07-26-2020, 11:52 AM
Yeah, like every other player in history who came back when they shouldn't have. All cleared to play by experts

You can’t even acknowledge the possibility that he is receiving advice from people who may have more knowledge about his condition and related risks than you?

It’s those kinds of extreme positions that detract from the whole debate about player safety IMO.

Galakanokis
07-26-2020, 12:27 PM
I can't find the article now but read an update on him returning a week or two ago and they had a term for Ferland's issue but I cannot think of it. Basically the concussions caused and inner ear issue so his last injury or "concussion" wasn't actually a concussion but a recurrence of the inner ear issue. Dizziness, loss of balance etc.

They referenced a retired player that came out about the same issue and he still deals with it to this day. I loved Ferland, love everything about his game so I really hope he can get past the medical concerns and a long career. Or calls it a career before things get life altering.

Here it is.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-ferland-taking-return-complex-health-scare-day-day/

Textcritic
07-26-2020, 12:56 PM
It is possible he is receiving some medical advice from qualified experts on whether he should play.It is equally possible that he is ignoring the advice he has been given.

Blaster86
07-26-2020, 10:20 PM
It is equally possible that he is ignoring the advice he has been given.

I genuinely, sincerely, absolutely hope not. If that is the case, I wish Benning would do what Gillis did to Malhotra and tell him he isn't comfortable letting him risk his future for a game.

Scroopy Noopers
07-26-2020, 11:16 PM
Here it is.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-ferland-taking-return-complex-health-scare-day-day/

Thanks for posting this, very interesting. As referrenced earlier about Crosby, and now this, research into concussions is going to save a lot of headaches. Sounds like the opposite treatment method of a concussion:
His problem, however, is not a concussion but his vestibular system, which is complicated. It is the inner-ear sensory system responsible for providing our brain with information about balance, eye movement and spatial awareness from neurotransmitters — which carry messages to the brain about the body’s functions. It is what allows us to stand and move. And it can be short-circuited by trauma.

“Just the stimulation, seeing a bunch of bodies moving around, going at full speed, getting my heart rate up — that’s what I need,” Ferland told reporters. “I just need to rewire my vestibular system. I haven’t had many symptoms, but I just need to continue to get out there with more bodies, and full pace and contact.”

CorsiHockeyLeague
07-27-2020, 12:55 AM
It is equally possible that he is ignoring the advice he has been given.
No, it's not "equally possible". It's a virtual certainty that he's receiving expert medical advice, given his history and what he does for a living. It is, in contrast, baseless speculation that he might be ignoring his doctors. Do you have any reason to think this, or are you just making stuff up?

tvp2003
08-02-2020, 08:45 PM
One minute in and Ferland drops the gloves. Was not expecting that.

Galakanokis
08-02-2020, 09:04 PM
One minute in and Ferland drops the gloves. Was not expecting that.Not sure what he's thinking there. I get being tough and proving you are good to go but that could end his career.

activeStick
08-02-2020, 09:32 PM
I was cringing the entire time he was fighting. Don't want to see him get concussed again.

Coach
08-02-2020, 09:33 PM
Yeah, pretty silly by him IMO. He doesn't have anything to prove in that realm. We all know he's a tough mudder. Save it for when it matters.

Galakanokis
08-02-2020, 09:54 PM
Is he still out there? Only 3 minutes of ice after a period and a half, lowest on the team.

Just saw him. Must be down to the 4th line.

Robo
08-02-2020, 09:59 PM
One minute in and Ferland drops the gloves. Was not expecting that.

At this point it's pure stupidity for him to be dropping the gloves

Coach
08-02-2020, 11:12 PM
I'm surprised he wasn't booted for spearing the player on the bench. The guy grabbed his stick, but...

I suspect that will be a suspension.

Fan in Exile
08-02-2020, 11:20 PM
I'm surprised he wasn't booted for spearing the player on the bench. The guy grabbed his stick, but...

It ought to be. Want to cheer for the guy but get a grip. Just dumb.

EverfresH15
08-02-2020, 11:45 PM

I’m going with a fine

Crown Royal
08-03-2020, 09:25 AM
Actually there are cases of them going away. Wrestler Daniel Bryan is one of them, I don't know how much of it was experimental treatments, but he claims that doctors say his brain looks like it has never had a concussion and was able to return to wrestling years after being forced to retire.

SportsJunky
08-03-2020, 09:47 AM
$5000.00 fine it is.

https://www.tsn.ca/vancouver-canucks-forward-micheal-ferland-find-5-000-1.1503593

oldschoolcalgary
08-03-2020, 11:17 AM
i was pretty shocked to see Ferly throw down the gloves tbh...

he's still one of my favorite players from his flames days... i hope that he doesn't take more risks than he needs to, just to 'prove to himself' that he can still play like he did in the past.

Rooting for him to do well and hope that he is back to his old self.

MrMike
08-03-2020, 11:35 AM
That's the player Ferland is. To be successful he needs to be physically engaged or else he disappears and floats. He cant be constantly being afraid for your own health second guessing what you should be doing

CsInMyBlood
08-03-2020, 11:39 AM
Love Ferland. Great to see him back playing. Sucks that he is a Canuck because he is one of those special players with another gear in the post season. He was one of the biggest reasons we actually won a playoff round.

powderjunkie
08-03-2020, 12:01 PM
Glad to see Ferland is doing well. For his sake, I wish he availed himself of the extra months without risk instead of putting his future on the line just to see Vancouver get swept out of the qualifiers.

3thirty
08-04-2020, 11:48 PM
Left the game tonight early. Didn't hear why, but hope it isn't head related.

SuperMatt18
08-04-2020, 11:57 PM
Left the game tonight early. Didn't hear why, but hope it isn't head related.

Speculation was from a blocked shot...so let’s hope it’s that.

Calgary4LIfe
08-05-2020, 12:57 PM
I will always hope Ferland has a tonne of success, and I hope he has an absolute monster of a playoff series. I am, however, disappointed that Vancouver won't get swept. Go Wild Go.

Flamenspiel
08-05-2020, 01:14 PM
I feel sorry for the guy, you got to believe that the Canuck’s management is responsible for this medical malpractice. He will suffer permanent damage and it reminds of the Rick Rypien scenario, some teams just don’t get it. Just a horrible franchise all around.

Mean Mr. Mustard
08-05-2020, 01:47 PM
I feel sorry for the guy, you got to believe that the Canuck’s management is responsible for this medical malpractice. He will suffer permanent damage and it reminds of the Rick Rypien scenario, some teams just don’t get it. Just a horrible franchise all around.

That isn't accurate at all. The Canucks franchise stood by Rypien, giving him leave of absences when his depression was making the pressures of being a professional athlete being impossible for him to deal with. To lay the blame for his suicide at the feet of the Canuck isn't correct or fair.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I think that a statement like that doesn't do any fairness towards the challenges that Rypien faced as well as they were obviously incredibly complex.

As for Ferland, I hope for his sake that he didn't play because of some non-concussion related symptoms. However if he passed all his baseline testing, was medically fit, and willing to play, I don't see how the Canucks could not play him. I don't know if that would even be allowed under the current collective bargaining agreement.

sureLoss
08-05-2020, 05:26 PM
Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Hearing Micheal Ferland (VAN) will be leaving the bubble due to injury. The forward played just four shifts and 2:36 in Game 2 vs. MIN. No clarification on specifics.

Joborule
08-05-2020, 05:28 PM
Jesus. He's the most fragile player these days.

Robbob
08-05-2020, 05:37 PM
Unlucky if it is from a shot block. Guessing a break if he has to leave.

mrdonkey
08-05-2020, 05:56 PM
Ferland as a Canuck seems to be working out about as well as Jagr did as a Flame. Poor guy just can't seem to stay in the lineup for any length of time.

sureLoss
08-05-2020, 06:01 PM
Vancouver #Canucks @Canucks
#Canucks confirm that Micheal Ferland is 'unfit-to-play' for the remainder of the play-in series vs Minnesota. He has returned home and will be re-evaluated following the series.

Enoch Root
08-05-2020, 06:04 PM
Seems weird to send him home and then re-evaluate after the series, because if Van moves on, and he is fit to return, would he not have to quarantine for 14 days before re-joining the team?

Flames1217
08-05-2020, 06:09 PM
Seems weird to send him home and then re-evaluate after the series, because if Van moves on, and he is fit to return, would he not have to quarantine for 14 days before re-joining the team?

There is also a 4 negative test rule I believe, I am not 100% sure how it works but I do not think it's an entire 14 days.

MissTeeks
08-05-2020, 06:12 PM

AC
08-05-2020, 06:18 PM
Ugh, poor guy. At least he signed a big ticket with Vancouver that he could go on LTIR and effectively retire off of.

Coach
08-05-2020, 06:35 PM
Dudes gotta step away for good. It’s too bad. Had a chance to be a really good player, and he has been in stints, but he’s made some good money. Maybe coaching or a job like McGrattan is in his future.

Be well Ferly.

oldschoolcalgary
08-05-2020, 06:46 PM
That's brutal to hear... it would be a real shame if it happened as a result of that fight, which iirc seemed pretty out of the blue and thus unnecessary.

its a shame... i think Ferland should consider retiring at this point.

bluejays
08-05-2020, 06:46 PM
That's a sad way to end your career, but it's probably best for quality of life to take precedence over the hockey career. Seemed like a good guy who overcame obstacles. Hope he can retire knowing he accomplished a ton.

OldSam
08-05-2020, 06:52 PM
Frick. Poor Ferland. Get well and enjoy your family.

Erick Estrada
08-05-2020, 06:52 PM
I really hope the doctors can do a bit better of a job with him going forward as it appears to me he probably shouldn't have got the green light to come back.

jayswin
08-05-2020, 06:54 PM

He wasn't coming back this playoffs with this return to home, imo.

codynw
08-05-2020, 06:54 PM
I feel so bad for him. Worked his ass off to overcome his substance abuse issues and make the NHL and now he can't catch a break. Hope he ends up being okay long term after all this.

d_phaneuf
08-05-2020, 07:14 PM
Glad he got the contract

But I hope he makes the decision to retire now, just too many concussions and at this point they arent even being caused by anything obvious to see

I saw a few people say they watched all his shifts and nothing really stuck out on any head contact

I cant imagine what hds going through, not being able to continue to play the game he worked his whole life for, but I hope someone sits him down and tells him he needs to worry about the rest of his life now health wise

codynw
08-05-2020, 07:17 PM
I saw a few people say they watched all his shifts and nothing really stuck out on any head contact.

He fought on his first shift back...

Galakanokis
08-05-2020, 07:38 PM
In one of his comebacks it was a very simple bodycheck that sidelined him. Sadly it is not just headshots that have an impact on him.

I think this sounds like it, time to hang them up and enjoy his family.

PepsiFree
08-05-2020, 08:00 PM
Terrible news. But, as a positive, it’s worth remembering that Ferland’s issue is related to his inner ear, not the brain, which means it’s entirely possible for him to get better and live a normal life. He could always play hockey one day, but I just don’t see it happening. I hope to see him back in the NHL in some capacity.

shogged
08-05-2020, 08:03 PM
Sucks to hear, hope he finds his health soon

activeStick
08-05-2020, 08:06 PM
Dan Murphy just confirmed on Sportsnet through sources that Ferland's exit is related to concussion symptoms. Damn it.

Cali Panthers Fan
08-05-2020, 08:18 PM
Ugh, makes me sick to my stomach to hear that. A lot of guys with post-concussion syndrome have serious depression and substance abuse issues. With his history of the latter, I sincerely hope we don't hear any terrible news about him in the future. Seemed like such an honest and earnest guy, and he never cheated his team for effort.

Ferly, it's time to hang them up. All the best to you. Perhaps you can be a "McGrattan" for a franchise and coach them through substance abuse issues.

Wood
08-05-2020, 08:21 PM
Terrible news. But, as a positive, it’s worth remembering that Ferland’s issue is related to his inner ear, not the brain, which means it’s entirely possible for him to get better and live a normal life. He could always play hockey one day, but I just don’t see it happening. I hope to see him back in the NHL in some capacity.

I didn't know this, thank you for explaining

For his own sake I hope he calls it a career. A young family now with more than enough money to live comfortably, it's the right choice

I get it though. At his best, only a few players in the NHL can offer what he can. As a competitor it has to be tough to walk away

Enoch Root
08-05-2020, 08:23 PM
I think I root for Ferland more than any other individual in the league.

Heartbreaking to watch this play out.

Geeoff
08-05-2020, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the Vancouver series, Ferland!

TheSquatch
08-05-2020, 08:42 PM

This is where my "aww poor Michael Ferland" emotions run dry. Love the guy for a hundred reasons, but this was such a bizarre thing to do.

dino7c
08-05-2020, 09:03 PM
You can’t even acknowledge the possibility that he is receiving advice from people who may have more knowledge about his condition and related risks than you?

It’s those kinds of extreme positions that detract from the whole debate about player safety IMO.

This aged well...he would have been better off listening to me as it turns out

It must suck having to stop playing the game you love but really...he is young and has millions of dollars and got to experience things most of us never will

Hang em' up...enjoy your life

PepsiFree
08-05-2020, 10:56 PM
I don’t know if the same day we learn a player like Ferland’s career might be toast is the day I’d be excited to rush in and play the “I told you so” card.

Blaster86
08-05-2020, 11:30 PM
Why the #### did he fight!?

FlamesAddiction
08-05-2020, 11:37 PM
At this point, it would be negligent to ever let him play again.

SuperMatt18
08-05-2020, 11:46 PM
Yeah, just go on LTIR now and earn the rest of that contract without playing.

Still have no idea why he thought he needed to prove something by getting in a fight that first shift back.

CorsiHockeyLeague
08-06-2020, 06:34 AM
Surely it wasn't the fight. As noted he fought his first shift in game 1, played the entire rest of the game, had a day off and I would guess had a practice in between, then was dressed for game 2, played another bunch of shifts, and then had to leave.

PepsiFree
08-06-2020, 08:34 AM
It could be the fight, but it’s just as likely that symptoms returned or were a little worse than expected just from game action alone. Bryce Salvador had the same issue as Ferland, and it’s pretty interesting just how disorienting it is: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/bryce-salvador-if-youre-going-through-hell

agulati
08-06-2020, 09:06 AM
It is unfortunate for Ferland. Always pull for the guy, but it doesn't seem that the concussion issues are going to stop plaguing him anytime soon.

Huntingwhale
08-06-2020, 09:57 AM
I don't ever root for a player to get a massive UFA contract, as usually they backfire. But Ferland was one of the few I was rooting to get paid, and I'm glad he did. Kudos to his agent for getting him that money. Nobody likes to be forced out of their line of work, but Ferland has the memories, money and youth to quit hockey and still live a great life with his family.

I would just hate to see something terrible happen to him down the road if he continues to play.

PeteMoss
08-06-2020, 10:09 AM
Ferland is a weird one to figure out. He is smart enough to pull himself out of these games when he feels the symptoms (most of the time nothing even occurs so I doubt the trainers or spotters are catching it and pulling him) but then comes back and fights on his first shift back for no reason.

At some point its on the doctors to not clear him.

Textcritic
08-06-2020, 10:20 AM
Ferland is a weird one to figure out. He is smart enough to pull himself out of these games when he feels the symptoms (most of the time nothing even occurs so I doubt the trainers or spotters are catching it and pulling him) but then comes back and fights on his first shift back for no reason.

At some point its on the doctors to not clear him.
But they cannot just make these decisions for him. Doctors have protocols they must adhere to; sets of criteria to be followed, and if a player meets the set criteria for clearance to play, a doctor cannot simply choose to veto them. This is where players need to accept the responsibility for their own health. It is something that everyone has to do. So, while doctors may clear Ferland for play because they don't really have much of a choice but to do so, I am also certain that they are also doing their utmost to make him aware of the dangers that come with that decision. In the end, it is up to Ferland to make the right decision for himself and his family.

PepsiFree
08-06-2020, 10:46 AM
It's also worth noting that with the issue Ferland is currently playing with, he is probably medically fit to play as the danger isn't to further brain damage (any greater than any other hockey player), but the symptoms likely make it hard or impossible.

You can still play without a fully functioning vestibular system, Bryce Salvador (as I posted above) did and won a cup playing through it. It's just difficult, but it can also be fixed.

I don't know, I see this thread and see a lot of people acting like he suffered another concussion or that his health is in great danger or that the doctors are somehow at fault here, but his issue is different enough that it's worth understanding before we make these kind of judgements off the cuff.

Enoch Root
08-06-2020, 10:51 AM
Why the #### did he fight!?

Because that is how he plays the game. If you're going to play, play. You can't play scared or tentatively.

Braden
08-06-2020, 11:04 AM
Because that is how he plays the game. If you're going to play, play. You can't play scared or tentatively.

Seemed at somepoint when he played on our topline he had long stretches of not playing that way. But I guess when teams trade for you and sign you because you have played a certain way you feel more pressure to give them what they pay for?

JohnnyB
08-06-2020, 11:11 AM
Have been a big fan of Ferland and would be happy if he retired. He should go enjoy the rest of his post-hockey life. He played hard, left it all on the ice and should be able to retire with no regrets.

PeteMoss
08-06-2020, 11:23 AM
But they cannot just make these decisions for him. Doctors have protocols they must adhere to; sets of criteria to be followed, and if a player meets the set criteria for clearance to play, a doctor cannot simply choose to veto them. This is where players need to accept the responsibility for their own health. It is something that everyone has to do. So, while doctors may clear Ferland for play because they don't really have much of a choice but to do so, I am also certain that they are also doing their utmost to make him aware of the dangers that come with that decision. In the end, it is up to Ferland to make the right decision for himself and his family.

Doctors make judgement calls all the time. There isn't a magic chart that says you fall on this side or that side. If you can't make it through more than a few games without it recurring, I'd question if you are healthy enough to play.

Enoch Root
08-06-2020, 11:33 AM
Seemed at somepoint when he played on our topline he had long stretches of not playing that way. But I guess when teams trade for you and sign you because you have played a certain way you feel more pressure to give them what they pay for?

I think it's more a case where, on your first game back, you're full of piss and vinegar, but when you're playing every night, you're focused on your duties.

FlamesAddiction
08-06-2020, 11:40 AM
I know it's an old story, but I recall Lindros telling stories about going out, playing whole shifts and even scoring, only to go back to the bench and forget what had just happened.

Putting the onus on players to self-diagnose is not practical given the nature of the type of injury this is. I think there needs to come a point where doctors can make the call and say you will never recover to a point you can be medically cleared to play in the NHL again.

SuperMatt18
08-06-2020, 11:44 AM
I think the big thing with that Ferland fight was that it was unneccessary.

If had fought somebody in the heat of the moment then I think that would have been okay, that's not playing scared and playing your game.

But to go out there and look for a bit of a "staged" fight in your first shift right off the faceoff was unneccessary.

codynw
08-06-2020, 12:10 PM

Ferland can be a solid player without fighting. He's got decent hands, good shot, he's quick.. I get that he made it by playing that way, but he doesn't need to play that way just to have a career like the goons of the past.

08-06-2020, 12:34 PM
I feel like Ferly probably had all this hope that his head issues were not concussions and this newly diagnosed ear problem and he just got too excited thinking that he was all right and they now knew what the problem was.

Feel for the guy. Hate seeing him in a Canucks uniform. Some things just aren't meant to be.

Ferly fought A LOT in junior. That stuff has to catch up to you eventually. They should put limits on how many fights you can have in junior. It's like MMA fighters nowadays don't really spar while training. Save it for when it is needed.

Coach
08-06-2020, 12:48 PM
I feel like Ferly probably had all this hope that his head issues were not concussions and this newly diagnosed ear problem and he just got too excited thinking that he was all right and they now knew what the problem was.

Feel for the guy. Hate seeing him in a Canucks uniform. Some things just aren't meant to be.

Ferly fought A LOT in junior. That stuff has to catch up to you eventually. They should put limits on how many fights you can have in junior. It's like MMA fighters nowadays don't really spar while training. Save it for when it is needed.

Limits? It should be completely banned. I just don’t get people who find entertainment from two teenagers bare knuckle boxing.

d_phaneuf
08-06-2020, 12:48 PM

Meant in game 2

PepsiFree
08-06-2020, 12:55 PM

Concussions were likely the cause of the vestibular issue, and nothing yet indicates it's another concussion and not a ramping-up of symptoms directly tied to the ongoing vestibular issue. Those would still be considered concussion-related, due to the cause.

Here's a basic explainer for those that think the ear-issue was entirely separate from the concussion issue, or those that are confusing the ear-issue with potentially further brain damage: https://rethinkconcussions.upmc.com/vestibular-infographic/

Fighting Banana Slug
08-06-2020, 02:02 PM
Concussions were likely the cause of the vestibular issue, and nothing yet indicates it's another concussion and not a ramping-up of symptoms directly tied to the ongoing vestibular issue. Those would still be considered concussion-related, due to the cause.

Here's a basic explainer for those that think the ear-issue was entirely separate from the concussion issue, or those that are confusing the ear-issue with potentially further brain damage: https://rethinkconcussions.upmc.com/vestibular-infographic/

That is interesting and quite helpful. I would still be somewhat concerned of a proper diagnosis, however. I mean, it is pretty clear he had a concussion at one point, and is now suffering from concussion-like symptoms. If there is absolutely no question as to his brain health, I suppose great, go for it. However, there must be some risk that he is doing further damage to his brain, and if that is the case, I would hope he would err on the side of caution.

Camronius
08-06-2020, 02:26 PM
Having gone through a major vestibular and neurological issue over the greater part of a year I can share some perspective. If they are considering the issues separate ie; vestibular or even neurological vs concussion, it’s possible he could physically be cleared to play but may need to retrain balance and/or neurological pathways in his brain. The road to recovery here is actually more activity and to continue to push and fight through dizziness and other vestibular type symptoms. It sucks, and can cause physical reactions, but the only way forward is to continue to challenge yourself. Brain science has come a long way, but I have it first hand from several neurologists and MD’s that a lot is still unknown.

Anyways, in no way am I suggesting that’s the case here. Who really knows? Just adding some perspective. It’s complicated and hard to understand if you haven’t experienced it. I suspect and trust he and the doctors know what’s best for him. Be careful on knowing or judging what is the right path of recovery for him.

Blaster86
10-05-2020, 11:12 AM
Word is Ferland plans to try again at training camp.

Crown Royal
10-05-2020, 11:13 AM
Word is Ferland plans to try again at training camp.Word from? You really need to start citing sources

Blaster86
10-05-2020, 11:15 AM
Word from? You really need to start citing sources

No, I don't. Feel free to disregard what I post, but I've never posted anything that isn't something that can be easily found out, and if it is something that is from a source that can't be found by simply using google, I say as such.

Crown Royal
10-05-2020, 11:30 AM
No, I don't. Feel free to disregard what I post, but I've never posted anything that isn't something that can be easily found out, and if it is something that is from a source that can't be found by simply using google, I say as such.unlike you, most of us don't care to follow the Canucks.

And is it really that hard to be considerate and say ____ says Ferland plans to return over, word is?

Or better yet, do it because it's in the site rules

Rumours:

At Calgarypuck we don't want to get into the business of questioning anyone's character or integrity. However, unfounded, brief, information-less posts that come across as a guess or a post made to incite a riot works against Calgarypuck's image and reputation so we have to tread carefully.

If you get information .. state what it is. Heard it on the radio? Not good enough. What station, and what time, and by who? Saw it on TV? Same thing ... what channel? What pundit? in what context? Buddy that works at the Flames? Fair game but state that in your post.

PepsiFree
10-05-2020, 11:35 AM
This seems like a hill worth dying on.

Crown Royal
10-05-2020, 11:37 AM
This seems like a hill worth dying on.
Who is dying on the hill? the entire exchange was 3 posts total :confused:

Blaster86
10-05-2020, 11:52 AM
Or better yet, do it because it's in the site rules

And when I have a rumour that can be detrimental to the site in any way but can't cite the source (for one reason or another), even if I know it to be a fact, I don't post it or take it to the mods to ask for the thumbs up or thumbs down. But when it comes to #### that can be corroborated by a twitter or google search, I'm not going to bother. In this case, Dhaliwal from team 1040 and Thomas Drance from the Athletic.

Also, you all follow the Canucks religiously and you all know it. Same with the Oilers. Everyone knows Flames fans get more enjoyment out of schadenfreude induced by rivals than the actual success of the Flames!

Also, this is 4.

WE WANT 5! WE WANT 5!

Monahammer
10-05-2020, 11:53 AM
Who is dying on the hill? the entire exchange was 3 posts total :confused:

Looks to me like you went ahead, dug a trench, and set up a machine gun nest on the hill by trying to quote site regulations. C'mon it's barely an off hand rumor about the future playing career of a player, it will be alright if that post exists and doesn't require to be vetted with a fine tooth comb by you.

Crown Royal
10-05-2020, 12:03 PM
Looks to me like you went ahead, dug a trench, and set up a machine gun nest on the hill by trying to quote site regulations. C'mon it's barely an off hand rumor about the future playing career of a player, it will be alright if that post exists and doesn't require to be vetted with a fine tooth comb by you.He's been doing it all the time in the trade thread too

Blaster86
10-05-2020, 12:06 PM
He's been doing it all the time in the trade thread too

And everything I said was then corroborated by things posted by other people. Pretty sure we're fine.

Let's go for 8! We want 8!

Enoch Root
10-05-2020, 12:06 PM
And when I have a rumour that can be detrimental to the site in any way but can't cite the source (for one reason or another), even if I know it to be a fact, I don't post it or take it to the mods to ask for the thumbs up or thumbs down. But when it comes to #### that can be corroborated by a twitter or google search, I'm not going to bother. In this case, Dhaliwal from team 1040 and Thomas Drance from the Athletic.

Also, you all follow the Canucks religiously and you all know it. Same with the Oilers. Everyone knows Flames fans get more enjoyment out of schadenfreude induced by rivals than the actual success of the Flames!

Also, this is 4.

WE WANT 5! WE WANT 5!

Says the Canuck fan with 11,000 posts on a Flames' message board.

Blaster86
10-05-2020, 12:10 PM

Joke's on you. It's well documented that the Flames were my team growing up and my second team up until you pack of jackals beat it out of me!

You did this! You!

Do these posts count? Are we going for 10 or am I still looking for 8?

Doctorfever
10-05-2020, 12:10 PM

I kinda like having some posters on here who are fans of other teams.
Sort of “A view from the other side”.

As long as they don’t come here just to troll I think it’s great.

Old Yeller
10-05-2020, 12:11 PM

Blaster86
10-05-2020, 12:13 PM

You uhh.... you got a source on that?

10-05-2020, 12:14 PM
Hi.

Please knock it off.

Thanks.

jayswin
10-05-2020, 12:14 PM

Oilers and Canucks fans always think this is because we're obsessed, but the joke's on them, it's because we have no success!

Blaster86
10-05-2020, 12:15 PM
Hi.

Please knock it off.

Thanks.

Spoilsport.

Barca
10-05-2020, 12:16 PM
Ferland's agent said he will try to play again next season... that to me sounds like he's either contemplating retirement or LTIR.

Old Yeller
10-05-2020, 12:17 PM
Edit:

I was told to politely knock it off.

Blaster86
10-05-2020, 12:18 PM
Ferland's agent said he will try to play again next season... that to me sounds like he's either contemplating retirement or LTIR.

Someone needs to have the same chat with Ferland that Gillis had with Malholtra. The sport, as amazing and enjoyable as it is, is not worth ruining the larger portion of your life for.

shadowlord
10-05-2020, 12:26 PM
Whatever decision he makes to play or not; in either case, please stay healthy, Ferland!

Enoch Root
10-05-2020, 12:28 PM
I kinda like having some posters on here who are fans of other teams.
Sort of “A view from the other side”.

As long as they don’t come here just to troll I think it’s great.

As do I. I also enjoy trolling back, on occasion

Crown Royal
10-05-2020, 12:45 PM
nm