PDA

View Full Version : Political Spectrum

Bingo
07-30-2004, 09:54 AM
Just getting a sense of the political climate at Calgarypuck. I know our demographic studies suggest the site itself has moved considerably younger in the past two years ... more college students generally means more left thinking viewers.

Thought a pole might be interesting to see if that is a fact.

calf
07-30-2004, 10:00 AM
I'm one of those centrists that gets sucked up to by all the politicians.

I lean right on some issues, left on others.....all depends on what it is.

...I'm also one of those younger, university student posters

jonesy
07-30-2004, 10:01 AM
oops, i guess if you view the results without voting you then can't vote. (e-equivalent of spoiling your ballot??)

kermitology
07-30-2004, 10:03 AM
I'm slightly right of centre, so I said right.

FlamesAddiction
07-30-2004, 10:06 AM
Left of centre for Canadian and western European spectrums. Far left for the American spectrum.

Cowperson
07-30-2004, 10:09 AM
The "political leaning analysis poll" that periodically shows up here has me as a "Libertarian Party" guy.

Left of Bush and right of Kerry maybe. :blink:

Right of Martin and left of Harper. :blink:

Confused. :lol:

Cowperson

Pagal4321
07-30-2004, 10:17 AM
Just like calf, one of those younger university student's. Lean left on some issure, right on the others, some I just don't have a preference for. Ergo I picked center.

Bingo
07-30-2004, 10:18 AM
I picked RIGHT, but not FAR RIGHT ... and agree with many ... it's hard to slot yourself at times.

I'm more left when it comes to social issues, but right when it comes to how I think a government needs to be run.

I am one of those guys that could change though, if the certain policies were dropped from the left side.

At the end of the day I think the biggest reason I lean right is the fact that in North American politics (from my paying attention years) right leaning presidents and prime ministers seem to get more done. They make more mistakes and have more controversy, but seem to actually be carrying out a plan and not just wasting space looking to get re-elected.

My thoughts.

La Flames Fan
07-30-2004, 10:19 AM
I went center....though I probably lean a little left. It's strange because when I was in Canada, I often sided with the conservatives and disliked many many things about the Liberal Party, but since being in the US, I have rallied behind the Democrats.....

looooob
07-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Pretty much Centre as a Canadian, but as I am following the US election a little right now, I"d have to admit to being Left, but not way Left by their standards

I'm pretty Left leaning on some social issues...but Center/R-Center on most other issues

transplant99
07-30-2004, 10:32 AM
Fiscally consevative and socially liberal....using definitions.

However i clearly lean right on a lot of issues.

I voted lean right as well.

Maritime Q-Scout
07-30-2004, 10:42 AM
I don't really know how to answer this question. In my surroundings and well being from and living on the East Coast, I am unquestionably right of centre.

HOWEVER

in comparison to politics of the location of this message board (Alberta) I'd say I'm more left leaning than the majority of the people here, and in general in comparisons to your standard I would be left of centre.

So all in all would I just be centre? <_<

Mike F
07-30-2004, 10:44 AM
I'm definately left on most issues, but not Al Sharpton left.

That being said I definately go for ideas and principles rather than parties. Here in Canada I can't see myself voting Conservative, but as I've often said if I could choose a US President it would be Powell or McCain, two moderate Republicans.

peter12
07-30-2004, 10:50 AM
Centre for sure.
I confuse myself with my flip flopping around on issues.

Agamemnon
07-30-2004, 11:40 AM
I put Far Left. I can't help it, its just the way I am :P

nfotiu
07-30-2004, 02:04 PM
I can't slot myself in those defs.

I am pro choice, believe in gay rights, small government, low taxes, low deficits, socialized medicine, relaxed drug laws and business friendly laws.

I am against governments that start wars, censor, invade my privacy, mix religion into their politics, decidedly install fear into their constituents for their benefit.

I am pretty much can't stand anything George Bush does. Ralph Klein and Bill Clinton are my 2 favorite recent politicians. The only 2 times in my life I've been living in a state/province/country I've been allowed to vote in their elections, I've voted for the federal Reform party, but I was more voting for my MP than the leader.

Displaced Flames fan
07-30-2004, 02:11 PM
I lean slightly to the right.

metallicat
07-30-2004, 04:35 PM
I like to think I am a moderate conservative, thus voting right. I support Bush and Harper, but I suppose I have more liberal views on issues like gay marriage than they do. At the end of the day, I have more in common with the moderate right than the moderate left.

jimmy11
07-30-2004, 04:38 PM
I lean Right, which is rare for people in this neck of the woods (Southern Ontario)

sbailey924
07-30-2004, 05:01 PM
Left. My grandfather was a Yellow-Dog Southern Democrat, and we have some letters written to him from JFK. We survived the Southern shift to the right, and now tend to be fairly liberal (although if you saw some of my conservative acquaintances reactions, you'd think we were Communists).

In short: pro-choice (but discourage it), pro-gun control, against most capital punishment, strong gov't healthcare, public education, less corporate welfare, yada yada yada...

Captain Sensible
07-30-2004, 05:36 PM
I see Right is an option, where is "wrong"?

lucid
07-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Left.
A little more centre-right on some issues however.

An Econ prof of mine once explained the political spectrum something like this:
University/college students lean to the left, with their little naive notions of equality. Students are poor, they don't want to pay tuition--Heck, they want others to pay for them.
As people get older and are exposed to the real world, they lean more the the right. They become dirty, greedy capitalist *expletive*s.

(It was an interesting class: a very right-leaning prof debating with a classroom full of more centre/left- oriented individuals).

By his assessment, I'm right on track ;)

FlamesAllTheWay
07-30-2004, 09:29 PM
As one Winston Churchill once said,

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."

Anyways, I voted center...

TheCommodoreAfro
07-30-2004, 11:09 PM
Over 30, but still on the left in terms of policy and worldview. In terms of economics and money related things in politics I sit more in the middle. I guess for me I would rather my government balanced the budget, and put a greater empahsis on arts and education. Another illustration is that I have three magazine subscriptions coming to my door here - The Economist, Harper's and Cinemascope (movies I will never see here in Japan) which illustrates these leanings pretty accurately, come to think of it.

In my uni days, even though I eventually got my degree in business, I would have answered far left to the above poll.

In high school I would have said center/right.

Calgary Flames
07-30-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by TheCommodoreAfro@Jul 30 2004, 11:09 PM
Over 30, but still on the left in terms of policy and worldview. In terms of economics and money related things in politics I sit more in the middle. I guess for me I would rather my government balanced the budget, and put a greater empahsis on arts and education. Another illustration is that I have three magazine subscriptions coming to my door here - The Economist, Harper's and Cinemascope (movies I will never see here in Japan) which illustrates these leanings pretty accurately, come to think of it.

In my uni days, even though I eventually got my degree in business, I would have answered far left to the above poll.

Off topic... but this guy has a hilarious nickname... what was your old one?

TheCommodoreAfro
07-30-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by SuperNilson+Jul 31 2004, 02:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SuperNilson @ Jul 31 2004, 02:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheCommodoreAfro@Jul 30 2004, 11:09 PM

Off topic... but this guy has a hilarious nickname... what was your old one? [/b][/quote]
Feff.

Been waiting for the switchover to make the request. Saw your name change and Scottie worked his magic! :P

transplant99
07-31-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Captain Sensible@Jul 30 2004, 06:36 PM
It's there.....its called far left!! :D

Sorry I couldnt resist.

Displaced Flames fan
07-31-2004, 06:56 AM
NICE signature DoreFro.

Captain Sensible
07-31-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by transplant99+Jul 31 2004, 12:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (transplant99 @ Jul 31 2004, 12:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Captain Sensible@Jul 30 2004, 06:36 PM
It's there.....its called far left!! :D

Sorry I couldnt resist. [/b][/quote]
Oh boy, I set it up and you knocked it clear out of the park.

TheCommodoreAfro
07-31-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Displaced Flames fan@Jul 31 2004, 09:56 PM
NICE signature DoreFro.
Since we didn't win the cup, my fave Flames moment of the past 14.9 years.

Thanks!

Flame Of Liberty
07-31-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Cowperson@Jul 30 2004, 04:09 PM
The "political leaning analysis poll" that periodically shows up here has me as a "Libertarian Party" guy.
:o Really?

Far right for me. Extreme far right. Off the charts actaully. Libertarian they call it.

snowdude
07-31-2004, 08:11 PM
I am one of those university student posters and sit about left in Canada. If i were measured by the US scale i'd be considered a pinko commie me thinks

Cowperson
07-31-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Flame Of Liberty+Jul 31 2004, 03:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Flame Of Liberty @ Jul 31 2004, 03:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cowperson@Jul 30 2004, 04:09 PM

Far right for me. Extreme far right. Off the charts actaully. Libertarian they call it. [/b][/quote]
Yep. Taken it twice now. Same result.

Here's the link if someone wants to take the test.

http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/politicalc...naire.pl?page=1 (http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/politicalcompass/questionnaire.pl?page=1)

Here's a different quiz than the one we've had before. Still named me a Libertarian.

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html

Cowperson

MrMastodonFarm
07-31-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Flame Of Liberty@Jul 31 2004, 09:31 AM
Far right for me. Extreme far right. Off the charts actaully. Libertarian they call it.
Libertarian? I thought the offical name was Pure Concentrated Evil? :P

Just took the second test that Cow posted. I was right on the dot between left and centurist. Wasn't suprised at all. I voted left in this poll however.

Claeren
08-01-2004, 01:44 AM
I voted left, but that is only by Alberta standards. By Canadian standards i am probably center. I also find that my ideal state is more left leaning but i realize the practical realities of open markets and so on....

I did the test and my dot is exactly where the Dali Lama's is, i don't think that can be a bad thing..... lol

Claeren.

FlamesAddiction
08-01-2004, 02:18 AM
Yeah, I'm sure the Dalai Lama did that test. :P

300spartans
08-01-2004, 02:48 AM
The Dalai Lama is the long lost libertarian brother I never had. :)

Flame Of Liberty
08-01-2004, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Cowperson+Aug 1 2004, 03:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cowperson @ Aug 1 2004, 03:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Flame Of Liberty@Jul 31 2004, 03:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Cowperson@Jul 30 2004, 04:09 PM

http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/politicalc...naire.pl?page=1 (http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/politicalcompass/questionnaire.pl?page=1)

Here's a different quiz than the one we've had before. Still named me a Libertarian.

Cowperson [/b][/quote]
That`s excellent, more power to you! :D

Here`s a good test to see where you stand on economic issues (Austrian school ie libertarian, keynesian, chicago school or pure left evil), it is a lot more complicated that the second test:

http://www.mises.org/quiz.asp?QuizID=4

and here`s another, more broad and simple to see how libertarian you are:

http://www.bcaplan.com/cgi/purity.cgi

The second one is pretty straighforward, but it could be an eye opener for people who think are right wing because of common misinterpretation of what right wing means (ie do you think anti trust laws should be abolished? do you think monetary base should be frozen? and best of all - is government inherently evil or necessary evil?).

Happy testing.

Flame Of Liberty
08-01-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by MrMastodonFarm+Aug 1 2004, 03:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MrMastodonFarm @ Aug 1 2004, 03:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Flame Of Liberty@Jul 31 2004, 09:31 AM
Libertarian? I thought the offical name was Pure Concentrated Evil? :P

Just took the second test that Cow posted. I was right on the dot between left and centurist. Wasn't suprised at all. I voted left in this poll however. [/b][/quote]
Haha yep that`s what they call it. Pretty much everybody I talk to about politics or economics thinks I`m nuts, at least in the beginning. I try to post a lot about these topics on this board too, eventhough I know the acceptance of such ideas isn`t very high. However, even if my radical rants only persuade 5 people to do some further research into it, its well worth it IMO.

As for the advocates web page, they are guiltyof the very misconception about libertarianism I was talking about. They say that:

"Libertarians support a great deal of liberty and freedom of choice in both personal and economic matters. They believe government's only purpose is to protect people from coercion and violence. They value individual responsibility, and they tolerate economic and social diversity."

Libertarians do not believe government`s only purpose is to protect people from coercion and violence because the government is nothing else but coercion and violence. Governments can work only when they can use coercion and violence, ie tax, regulate, `distribute income` etc. For libertarians there`s no such thing as a free state. Other right wing ideologies can accept some form of state/government, libertarians cannot. That`s the basic differences between these two - libertarian creed does not compromise when it comes to liberty and principles.

So, in short, if someone thinks there`s a small role of the governemnt (no matter how small) that`s fine (and certainly better than supporting big government) but he`s not libertarian.

Another misconception is that libertarians (sometimes called anarchocapitalists or ancap) are anarchists fighting against globalization, McDonalds and multinational companies, whereas these two groups are on the opposite polar ends of the political spectrum. What I am saying libertarians are not those guys throwing rocks and molotow cocktails into KFC, which is what many people think when they hear the word anarchy.

Libertarians are against any form of violence or coercion (which means physical attack against someone or their property) unless they are threatened or attacked in the first place. That`s it in a nutshell.

Cowperson
08-01-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Flame Of Liberty+Aug 1 2004, 09:07 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Flame Of Liberty @ Aug 1 2004, 09:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Cowperson@Aug 1 2004, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Flame Of Liberty@Jul 31 2004, 03:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Cowperson@Jul 30 2004, 04:09 PM

Cowperson
That`s excellent, more power to you! :D

Here`s a good test to see where you stand on economic issues (Austrian school ie libertarian, keynesian, chicago school or pure left evil), it is a lot more complicated that the second test:

http://www.mises.org/quiz.asp?QuizID=4

and here`s another, more broad and simple to see how libertarian you are:

http://www.bcaplan.com/cgi/purity.cgi

The second one is pretty straighforward, but it could be an eye opener for people who think are right wing because of common misinterpretation of what right wing means (ie do you think anti trust laws should be abolished? do you think monetary base should be frozen? and best of all - is government inherently evil or necessary evil?).

Happy testing. [/b][/quote]
Hey, I said tests had declared me Libertarian, not that I had done so myself.

Your second test had me with seven points and concluded: "6-15 points: You are starting to have libertarian leanings. Explore them."

The test itself seemed to be a series of extreme statements with only yes or no answers. I'd love to know YOUR score!!!

The first test on Austrian economics . . . . . well, I started it but its Sunday morning and I ain't bothering to think that hard. :lol: Maybe later.

Cowperson

Flame Of Liberty
08-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Well that is the whole point of the second test, to show people what libertarian ideas are all about. To show people that in a hypotetical central banking question "The monetary policy of FED should be"

a/ tight
b/ loose

there is a c/ as well saying there is no place for FED on a free market. You do not get told that kind of stuff at your university or in local media. Then of course people consider it extreme when they hear it for the first time.

As for the test I had 150 (160 is max) and it says:

You are nearly a perfect libertarian, with a tiny number of blind spots. Think about them, then take the test over again. On the other hand, if you scored this high, you probably have a good libertarian objection to my suggested libertarian answer. :-)

And that is pretty much correct, with the objections being the current US foreign policy. In a perfect world I would be against it, but in reality is see it pretty much necessary eventhough I disagree why and how are they doing it.

Cowperson
08-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Flame Of Liberty@Aug 1 2004, 05:58 PM

As for the test I had 150 (160 is max) and it says:

You are nearly a perfect libertarian, with a tiny number of blind spots. Think about them, then take the test over again. On the other hand, if you scored this high, you probably have a good libertarian objection to my suggested libertarian answer. :-)

Well, if you got 150 on THAT test then you're earlier self-assessment of being "extreme far right, off the chart" is pretty much dead on!!

Not that there's anything wrong with that. . . . .

Cowperson

Cowboy
08-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Well I voted left and am left. I was quite suprised to see so many people say they were on the right......

dahh well, I actually thought most Albertans voted Conservative because they would have regional representation, (you know being the spoiled little rich kids that live in the Mount Royal of Canada we need something to complain about). I didn't think Alberta voted this way because they were THAT conservative...thats too bad, I thought we were moving on...

Cowboy
08-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Edit

zarrell
08-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Calgary4life@Aug 1 2004, 02:20 PM
I didn't think Alberta voted this way because they were THAT conservative...thats too bad, I thought we were moving on...
Moving on from what?

Cowboy
08-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by zarrell+Aug 1 2004, 08:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (zarrell @ Aug 1 2004, 08:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Calgary4life@Aug 1 2004, 02:20 PM
I didn't think Alberta voted this way because they were THAT conservative...thats too bad, I thought we were moving on...
Moving on from what? [/b][/quote]
From being conservative...

It is time to speak up for womens rights, gay rights, rights of immigrants. It is time to have equality of eduaction and health care...Why should someone who is rich have better eduaction than someone who is not as well off...

It amazes me that we can vote a Liberal Mayor in overwhelmingly, very high approval rate....yet we can not vote one liberal MP in!!!

lucid
08-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Calgary4life@Aug 1 2004, 03:03 PM
It is time to speak up for womens rights, gay rights, rights of immigrants. It is time to have equality of eduaction and health care...Why should someone who is rich have better eduaction than someone who is not as well off...

It amazes me that we can vote a Liberal Mayor in overwhelmingly, very high approval rate....yet we can not vote one liberal MP in!!!
There's liberalism and conservatism in social issues, but there's also a right and a left in regards to economics issues. In an economically strong Alberta, it is unlikely to have a strong percentage of the population going for leftist economic policies.

Cowboy
08-01-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by lucid+Aug 1 2004, 09:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lucid @ Aug 1 2004, 09:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Calgary4life@Aug 1 2004, 03:03 PM

There's liberalism and conservatism in social issues, but there's also a right and a left in regards to economics issues. In an economically strong Alberta, it is unlikely to have a strong percentage of the population going for leftist economic policies. [/b][/quote]
Fair enough, and I am certainly more economically conservative than I am socially however, I do not believe that big businesses should be getting tax cuts, when there are individuals in Alberta that can hardly make it... I think it is important to spend money on social programs as well I dislike wasteful spending....yeah yeah sponsorship scandal....probably did more to unify the country than it would have they not spent the money!!!, kept separtists mouth shut for awhile anyway...

nieuwy-89
08-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Although I often feel "far right" when I wade into the debates here on CP, I called myself "right" to distinguish myself from the ultra-conservative, anti-gay-marriage, pro-life camp. But yeah I'm pretty right wing otherwise.