PDA

View Full Version : Mike Keenan battling prostate cancer

sureLoss
09-25-2018, 01:26 PM
https://www.tsn.ca/keenan-battling-prostate-cancer-1.1180536

Mike Keenan faced many challenges during his 20 seasons as a National Hockey League head coach.

Now Keenan is facing a health challenge with the same ruthless intensity the colourful coach leaned on while behind the bench.

The 68-year-old was diagnosed with prostate cancer in May after a biopsy confirmed what was originally detected through an annual PSA blood test.

Keenan met with several doctors over the summer before deciding on his best course of treatment in August.

“I evaluated options in the U.S. and Canada,” Keenan said. “After consulting doctors, I was made aware I qualified for brachytherapy seed implants.”

Keenan had surgery last week at Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto, initiating the form of radiation therapy.

“Dr. Hans Chung and his team did an outstanding job with the highest professional standards,” Keenan said.

Keenan decided to go public with his diagnosis to help raise awareness and acknowledge the excellent medical care he's received through Sunnybrook.

"I’m trying to build awareness and combat the stigma that can be associated with prostate cancer,” Keenan said. “I was diagnosed early because of an annual PSA test used to detect this type of cancer in my yearly checkup.”

Keenan's prognosis is excellent and his sense of humour remains razor-sharp. He concluded our conversation by joking, “I am now the real Iron Mike, as the radiation seeds implanted stay for life.”

transplant99
09-25-2018, 01:28 PM
Wish him nothing but the best.

Mattman
09-25-2018, 01:31 PM
This guy is a tough mf. He can beat this for sure!

Good luck Mike!

RyZ
09-25-2018, 01:40 PM
Give that cancer hell, Mike!

Badgers Nose
09-25-2018, 01:51 PM
Since my childhood it's gone from you might know someone with it, to someone you know, to someone in your close circle of friends, to someone in your family... it's not hard to imagine a future where most people have had to scrap cancer. Freakin' scary.

Occurrence keeps going up, but mortality keeps going down. From Canadian Cancer Society:

Based on 2010 estimates:
1 in 2 Canadians (49% of men and 45% of women) is expected to develop cancer during their lifetime.

Based on 2012 estimates:
1 out of 4 Canadians (28% of men and 24% of women) is expected to die from cancer.

Between 1992–1994 and 2006–2008, survival rates increased from 53% to 60% for all cancers combined.

Locke
09-25-2018, 01:54 PM
No....you've gotten this all wrong. Prostate Cancer is actually fighting Mike Keenan and I wont lie, I think Cancer bit off more than it could chew on this one.

Cancer probably should have left Iron Mike alone.

TheScorpion
09-25-2018, 02:03 PM
Coach of the Flames when I started getting into hockey. Man, those teams were fun to watch.

If anyone can tell cancer to go piss up a rope, it's Mike Keenan.

EVERLAST
09-25-2018, 03:49 PM
Keenan will best this . Man I hate ####ing cancer and the people it's taken from this world far too young.

sketchyt
09-25-2018, 03:52 PM
This is one of the best Mike Keenan stories I've ever heard in case anyone missed... might be one of the best hockey coaching stories as well:

Y4ooWfg4fP4

keenan87
09-25-2018, 04:11 PM
A good coach and wish him the best!

killer_carlson
09-25-2018, 06:10 PM
Let's hope he beats this!

bubbsy
09-25-2018, 07:08 PM
Best of luck!

I met Keenan randomly in the miami airport while travelling for work. It was the summer he was hired. I went by him to wish him best of luck in the new gig for my flames. He was super friendly.

flame^thrower
09-25-2018, 07:43 PM
Beat it Iron Mike! F@#K cancer!

Snuffleupagus
09-26-2018, 04:37 AM
Since my childhood it's gone from you might know someone with it, to someone you know, to someone in your close circle of friends, to someone in your family... it's not hard to imagine a future where most people have had to scrap cancer. Freakin' scary.

Occurrence keeps going up, but mortality keeps going down. From Canadian Cancer Society:

Based on 2010 estimates:
1 in 2 Canadians (49% of men and 45% of women) is expected to develop cancer during their lifetime.

Based on 2012 estimates:
1 out of 4 Canadians (28% of men and 24% of women) is expected to die from cancer.

Between 1992–1994 and 2006–2008, survival rates increased from 53% to 60% for all cancers combined.
Man, those stats are ugly, after years of virtually nothing I lost a great friend to breast cancer last year and now have another fighting the same damn thing.