PDA

View Full Version : Just another reason to hate the Yankees

Resolute 14
08-31-2004, 08:06 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yan...ports-headlines (http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyside303947945aug30,0,3955285.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines)

Mike Mussina whining to the press because the Jays ceremony honouring Tom Cheek went long and delayed Sunday's game another 15 minutes.

Nothing like whining about a ceremony to honor the Jays equivalent of Peter Marher, who is fighting a brain tumor no less.

:angry:

Resolute 14
08-31-2004, 08:16 PM
Ahh, the beauty of karma...

The Yankees are getting absolutely CRUSHED by Cleveland: 22-0 as I type this. :lol:

JiriHrdina
08-31-2004, 08:31 PM
"I congratulate the man who got 4,300 games, but sitting for 15 extra minutes before the game was supposed to start - that was worse," said Mussina, "

Hey Mike! You know what's even worse than that? Losing your father and being diagnosed with a brain tumor in under 10 days. Insensitive jerk.

RedHot25
08-31-2004, 09:00 PM
It was unclear whether Mussina fully understood the gravity of Cheek's medical situation. Several former Blue Jays players and current team executives attended the ceremony for Cheek,

Mussina, who was visibly angry both about the 15-minute delay and the way his outing ended, said he noticed the ceremony for the first time when he left the bullpen after he threw his warm-up pitches. "When I came in from the bullpen, I passed the umpires going out at 2:13 when they were going to the field," he said. "I told them to get them off the field or we're not going to start for 20 minutes. And that's what happened."

Wow even so if he didn't understand it all, he's still a jerk. That's absolutely disgusting. And to think i used to have a bit of respect for him...

Jiggy_12
08-31-2004, 09:14 PM
All Mussina wanted was for them to tell him how long it was actually going to be. Those 15 extra minutes can mean your pitching arm getting stiff and cold, something you don't want when trying to win your division.

JiriHrdina
08-31-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Fuel@Aug 31 2004, 09:14 PM
All Mussina wanted was for them to tell him how long it was actually going to be. Those 15 extra minutes can mean your pitching arm getting stiff and cold, something you don't want when trying to win your division.
Sorry. Not good enough.

If you felt it hurt your performance talk with your Manager with it and have them bring it up with the Jays in private. There is no way you can say something to the press and not come off as a jerk.

Jiggy_12
08-31-2004, 09:29 PM
I know, just trying to see where he may be coming from
I don't agree with it. I would like to see a video of him saying that, rather than selective quotes chosen for a newspaper article.

Resolute 14
08-31-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Fuel@Sep 1 2004, 03:14 AM
15 minute delays happen all the time. A 4 run inning vs a 0 run inning could mean an extra 15 minutes the pitcher is waiting for his arm to get cold.

This isnt about Mussina's arm, or the ceremony affecting Mussina's performance. This is all about Mussina's obsessions with starting the game on time. And damned be anyone who should dare interfere with his schedule - even if it is to honor a far better human being than he is.

Jiggy_12
08-31-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Snakeeye+Aug 31 2004, 10:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snakeeye @ Aug 31 2004, 10:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Fuel@Sep 1 2004, 03:14 AM
15 minute delays happen all the time. A 4 run inning vs a 0 run inning could mean an extra 15 minutes the pitcher is waiting for his arm to get cold.

This isnt about Mussina's arm, or the ceremony affecting Mussina's performance. This is all about Mussina's obsessions with starting the game on time. And damned be anyone who should dare interfere with his schedule - even if it is to honor a far better human being than he is. [/b][/quote]
What I was saying was, had Mussina been told about the delay, he could have stayed in the bullpen to warm up. Once he was in the dugout he had to stay there for the duration of the ceremony, however long that may be. Could have been longer than 15 minutes, maybe 30. A pitcher is not going to start a game well after sitting on their ass for that long, take that from someone who has taken pitching semi-seriously.

I am not defending what he said, he shouldnt have said it. However, I can see what went through his mind...he should have just kept it as an inside thought.

KevanGuy
08-31-2004, 11:04 PM
In realted news the Yanks tied the MLB record for futility in a game losing 22-0.

The game matched the most lopsided shutout in major league history, with Pittsburgh besting the Chicago Cubs by the same score on September 16, 1975.

Man, you guys SUCK! (http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?yy=2004&mm=08&dd=31&gameStatus=2&gameID=&scheduleID=9902&slug=TP-RECAP-MLB-9902)

octothorp
09-01-2004, 07:52 AM
Wow, 22 runs on 22 hits and one error. That's some efficient run-production.