PDA

View Full Version : Is a Treliving contract soon to be announced?

bluck
02-20-2017, 02:36 PM
With the signing of Stone today and the rumours that Treliving will be a buyer at the deadline, is it safe to assume he will be resigned? I can't see a team letting their current GM make any trades that involve draft picks if they plan on replacing him. Thoughts?

IgiTang
02-20-2017, 02:48 PM
Stone hasn't been signed has he? That would really screw things up for the expansion draft.

Zoller
02-20-2017, 03:05 PM
Treliving is going to do whatever he can to make the playoffs this year. His job literally depends on it. As for the team letting their current GM make trades that involve draft picks when he doesn't have a contract. If you're implying that Treliving will trade the future of this club for some short term rentals then that's just not going to happen. The trade for Stone today is a trade with the future in mind.
Probably best to resign Stone after the expansion draft, that is if he shows well over the final stretch here.

Manhattanboy
02-20-2017, 03:06 PM
Just saw Murray Edwards. Flames owners in meetings this week.

puckedoff
02-20-2017, 03:13 PM
With the signing of Stone today and the rumours that Treliving will be a buyer at the deadline, is it safe to assume he will be resigned? I can't see a team letting their current GM make any trades that involve draft picks if they plan on replacing him. Thoughts?

The Stone trade was a sign the Flames will be sellers, as this gives them room to move out Gio and Brodie at the deadline.

goflamesgo18
02-20-2017, 03:15 PM
The Stone trade was a sign the Flames will be sellers, as this gives them room to move out Gio and Brodie at the deadline.

Trading picks for rentals usually means you are a seller

Lanny'sDaMan
02-20-2017, 03:16 PM

Man, and here I thought the Medical Marijuana I was getting was good stuff, I need to speak to your provider!

FlameZilla
02-20-2017, 03:25 PM

This post is the clearest indication yet that Russian trolls are using the MSM to replace peoples' brains with smouldering poodle feces.

Manhattanboy
02-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Haha oh that's harsh.

FlameZilla
02-20-2017, 03:35 PM
Super harsh... sorry puckedoff! :clown:

Lanny'sDaMan
02-20-2017, 04:02 PM
Super harsh... sorry puckedoff! :clown:

Say silly things; win ugly and uninteresting prizes!!!!!

Flames Draft Watcher
02-20-2017, 06:35 PM
the stone trade was a sign the flames will be sellers, as this gives them room to move out gio and brodie at the deadline.

wtf

Hockey Fan #751
02-21-2017, 10:36 AM
Maybe Treliving doesn't get fired. Maybe Maloney becomes the GM and Treliving stays on as an assistant GM.

Erick Estrada
02-21-2017, 11:18 AM
Maybe Treliving doesn't get fired. Maybe Maloney becomes the GM and Treliving stays on as an assistant GM.

Has a GM ever accepted a demotion? I highly doubt this would happen. It's widely known that the Flames are going to wait until completion of the season to assess Treliving. If the team crashes and burns down the stretch who knows what the owners will do?

Strange Brew
02-21-2017, 11:37 AM
No doubt. Hopefully trading Gio and Brodie allow us to recover that 3rd and conditional 5th.

CroFlames
02-21-2017, 11:42 AM
Has a GM ever accepted a demotion? I highly doubt this would happen. It's widely known that the Flames are going to wait until completion of the season to assess Treliving. If the team crashes and burns down the stretch who knows what the owners will do?

They won't learn anything new about the GM in the last 20 games that they haven't already learned in the first 200 or so games he has been GM.

Zulu29
02-21-2017, 11:58 AM

I dunno, do you think ownership wants a lame duck GM ahead of the trade deadline in a tight playoff race? Doesn't seem like they would as he'd likely sit on his hands or do risky trades.

Erick Estrada
02-21-2017, 12:05 PM
They won't learn anything new about the GM in the last 20 games that they haven't already learned in the first 200 or so games he has been GM.

If they have already made up their mind then we have to assume he's getting fired because there really is no good reason to have him working in a lame duck situation if they already know they are keeping him.

I dunno, do you think ownership wants a lame duck GM ahead of the trade deadline in a tight playoff race? Doesn't seem like they would as he'd likely sit on his hands or do risky trades.

According to Friedman the Flames owners are fine with this. I expect after they will go over the progress of his three years from beginning to end and decide if they feel he should be allowed to continue on. I believe they would be fine with him making trades to help secure a playoff spot seeing that's what owners seem to care about the most. On the outside it certainly looks like his return is contingent on them making the playoffs.

Dajazz
02-21-2017, 12:07 PM

Meanwhile in Sweden, the other night... uuuh. Yea...

Nah, this alternative fact thing isn't working.

TorqueDog
02-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Meanwhile in Sweden, the other night... uuuh. Yea...

Nah, this alternative fact thing isn't working.I finally figured out what Trump was talking about.

Leksand got blasted by Växjö by a final score of 6 - 0. That's what was happening in Sweden. I saw it on SHL.se.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
02-21-2017, 12:27 PM
If they have already made up their mind then we have to assume he's getting fired because there really is no good reason to have him working in a lame duck situation if they already know they are keeping him.

According to Friedman the Flames owners are fine with this. I expect after they will go over the progress of his three years from beginning to end and decide if they feel he should be allowed to continue on. I believe they would be fine with him making trades to help secure a playoff spot seeing that's what owners seem to care about the most. On the outside it certainly looks like his return is contingent on them making the playoffs.
Or the other option where the potential exists that BT and his boss Burke and maybe even ownership have had transperant conversations with BT about his performance and their likely intentions and BT has a strong sense of what his future with Calgary holds and he's not a lame duck GM after all.

I won't pretend to know what the Flames are actually planning for BT, maybe this really is a huge indication that they aren't going to continue with him (however I doubt it). But the consistent reaction on here in any scenario where people seem to assume the coaches, management and players inside the Flames organization don't have any more information to operate on than the Fans is hilarious. Where do you people work where you don't get to have transparent conversations with your bosses and co-workers? You should all find new jobs. To assume that at this point BT hasn't had strong conversations with Burke about his future, and that he doesn't have a good idea of where he sits in regards to a renewal (in either direction) is silly.

transplant99
02-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Treliving sounded every bit a guy that knows he will be back next year and beyond with the morning guys today.

It would be a massive surprise to see him jettisoned at this point.

endeavor
02-21-2017, 12:45 PM
Time will tell if he resigns or re-signs.

Vulcan
02-21-2017, 01:00 PM
I think Treliving has been doing a good job. The only question mark so far is his choice of a coach. The team makes the playoffs and that question is answered.
They don't and GG could be replaced or not but Treliving should be given another swing at this.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
02-21-2017, 01:21 PM
I think Treliving has been doing a good job. The only question mark so far is his choice of a coach. The team makes the playoffs and that question is answered.
They don't and GG could be replaced or not but Treliving should be given another swing at this.
How big of a question mark is the coach really though? I agree, the jury should still be out, but short of the Flames leading the division, or being in last place in the West, wouldn't we expect it to take a while to see if he's the right guy.

Right now, worst case scenario this team is at the very least marginally better than last years squad, with 0 improvement on the goaltending front (something I don't easily attribute to head coaching either way).

I guess the worst thing you can say about him is that some of our best players haven't shinned so far under him.............which isn't nothing. Although you could also make an argument on that front that suggests that's a positive for him as a coach, and to just wait until those players pick it up.

Hockey Fan #751
02-21-2017, 01:23 PM

The only GM accepting a direct demotion that I can think of was Dale Tallon in Florida. But now he appears to be in charge again there so who knows.

I think something like this also happened in Toronto once when they transitioned to the three-man committee of Mike Smith, Ken Dryden, Pat Quinn. Not that it was at all successful.

Usually when these types of demotions happen they're when the GM is older and they move to an "advisor" type position (Lowe, Gainey, Milbury, etc.). It definitely wouldn't be a conventional move if done but the thought crossed my mind because of Maloney's previous working relationship with Treliving.

Flash Walken
02-21-2017, 02:25 PM
Treliving sounded every bit a guy that knows he will be back next year and beyond with the morning guys today.

It would be a massive surprise to see him jettisoned at this point.

What concerns me most is if a GM job somewhere else opens up while he is not under contract.

I know it isn't likely, but....

GreenLantern2814
02-22-2017, 12:46 AM
How big of a question mark is the coach really though? I agree, the jury should still be out, but short of the Flames leading the division, or being in last place in the West, wouldn't we expect it to take a while to see if he's the right guy.

Right now, worst case scenario this team is at the very least marginally better than last years squad, with 0 improvement on the goaltending front (something I don't easily attribute to head coaching either way).

I guess the worst thing you can say about him is that some of our best players haven't shinned so far under him.............which isn't nothing. Although you could also make an argument on that front that suggests that's a positive for him as a coach, and to just wait until those players pick it up.

This is simply not true. Last year, the Flames were dead last in team save percentage - at 0.892. They were the only team in the league to finish below .900. This year, team save percentage is 0.901. Baby steps.

Last year, the Flames combined to pay Jonas Hiller ($4.5M) and Karri Ramo ($3.8M) only $200k less than Henrik Lundqvist. So what does the GM do? He gets the cheaper, better goalie from the team with the best team save percentage in league (0.919) for the negligible cost of a 2nd round pick.

How does Treliving follow that up? By signing a backup goalie who put up identical numbers to Jake Allen while playing for the friggen Sabres. Seriously, look them up. Allen started four more games than Chad, their save % were both .920. Chad's GAA was 2.36, Allen's 2.35.

Jake Allen: 44 GS 26 W 15 L 3 OTL 6 SO
Chad Johnson: 40 GS 22 W 16L 4 OTL 1 SO

Treliving brought in a goalie with a .930 save percentage who had just finished a conference final run, and his backup's statistical clone for the low price of a 2nd and 1.7 million dollars, for a total cap hit of $4.2M. Treliving did everything you could possibly ask of a GM in this regard. Remember that acquiring Ben Bishop would've cost the team Matthew Tkachuk AND $49M worth of cap space.

Besides being psychic, how else would anyone wish Treliving conducted business? And if you are in the crowd who wants him turfed, who would you possibly want to replace him with? What would you want the next GM to do differently? You can hold the coaching thing against him if you want, but one bad coaching hire is not enough of a reason to let this GM walk away. Darryl Sutter hired Playfair, Keenan and Brent before he was told 'enough' - Gulutzan has the team in the playoff hunt. I don't really like him either, but ultimately, did I expect this team to be a division winner or a conference champ? No. I thought they'd be a bubble team, and that's what they are.

Wanna go back to the Feaster years? Thank Christ Burke fired him, otherwise Glencross would still be in the NHL, Hudler would be in year 1 of a 4/$20M deal, and Russell would be making the $5.5 he expected. And we'd be worse for it.

Keep in mind as well, the bad contracts that have really hamstrung the Flames the past two years are not Treliving deals.

-Wideman, Stajan and Smid all predate him.

-Engelland has earned his money.

-Nobody likes Bollig, but reality is, he costs 300k against the cap in the minors and doesn't prevent the team from doing anything.

-Raymond? Fine. Swing and a miss. Nobody's perfect.

-Frolik might actually be a perfect UFA signing. 28 year old player, under $5M cap hit and less than six years? For the quintessential professional hockey player. Mui bueno.

-For the Brouwer doubters out there, I would simply refer you to Joel Ward. A man who has earned over $28M over his last two contracts, and a man who no Shark fan would tell you was easily replaced last summer. Ward is five years older than Brouwer - their career production is nearly identical, both in the regular season and playoffs. Brouwer's actually got better fancy stats. In year 1 of a new deal with a new team, he's only slightly off his career norms for offensive production. He is exactly who we thought he was, and his value is going to become apparent as this season dwindles down. There's no way a Brouwer type signing can possibly be justified without factoring in post-season play and gutcheck games like the one we saw tonight. One which we won.

-Ramo at $3.8 is much maligned, but without that signing it's entirely possible the 2015-16 Flames don't win 30 games. And then we'd definitely have Matthews or Laine... #### you, Brad.