PDA

View Full Version : Bonds slugs 695 and 696

Jiggy_12
08-30-2004, 07:49 AM
In case you didn't know, Barry Bonds is amazing. Last night he hit 2 mammoth homeruns, the 2nd and 3rd longest in turner field history, and at 40 years old keeps defying age. Just 4 more homeruns to reach the magical 700 total, and likely will be the last player to do so for a very long time.

Click Here (http://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/shownews.jsp?content=s08309A)

The countdown is on to 700, then 714, then 755. History is in the making, I'm really enjoying watching this guy play.

dirk diggler
08-30-2004, 08:14 AM
I heard on the radio they were talking about his stats..... he has an on base % of over 600 and a slugging percentage of over 800.... i think as MVP voting goes, Rolen and Pujols might cancel each other out being on the same team, and Bonds might win again... cant say he isnt worthy.. all this at 40? mind boggling

JiriHrdina
08-30-2004, 08:15 AM
I agree, Bonds is unreal. The guy maybe sees two or three good pitches a game and still puts up amazing numbers. Right now he's gotta be the front runner for NL MVP.

Jiggy_12
08-30-2004, 08:20 AM
Also, People can talk about juice all they want, the fact of the matter is you still have to hit the ball in the right spot at the right time to hit the homerun. Anyone that plays baseball can tell you that it isnt all about the power and size, its about contact and bat speed and follow through.

troutman
08-30-2004, 09:32 AM
I'm a Giants fan, but everything Bonds has done is pretty much meaningless to me. He is so full of horse steroids it is not funny. Imagine how may home runs Ruth, Maris or Aaron would have hit if they had access to the juice. His accomplishments are very tainted.

sbailey924
08-30-2004, 09:41 AM
Best hitter ever.

Still extremely dislike him.

It's him or Beltre for MVP. The Cardinals have too many good players in their lineup.

habernac
08-30-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by troutman@Aug 30 2004, 09:32 AM
I'm a Giants fan, but everything Bonds has done is pretty much meaningless to me. He is so full of horse steroids it is not funny. Imagine how may home runs Ruth, Maris or Aaron would have hit if they had access to the juice. His accomplishments are very tainted.
Yep. It's too bad because he probably could have been just as great without them. Great swing, great eye, but he's a walking pharmacy.

dirk diggler
08-30-2004, 11:01 AM
i agree with the roids comments, but the fact is he still puts the bat on the ball and almost never strikes out, that has nothing to do with size and strength... as a person he is very unlikable, as a player, he is the best. no question.....

octothorp
08-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Yeah, the thing is that the more power you have, the wider margin of error you have in terms of where you hit the ball. He nails a helluva lot that would be deep routine flies for most hitters. Can't really compare him to anyone like Aaron or Ruth, but he's by far the best hitter of the steroids era.

habernac
08-30-2004, 11:52 AM
and you know what kills me? These roided up goofballs still don't hit them as far as Mantle used to.

Resolute 14
08-30-2004, 11:54 AM
Bonds is an olympian's role model.

Beyond that, his Home Run record will have a big ole asterisk for all time as far as I am concerned.

octothorp
08-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Snakeeye@Aug 30 2004, 10:54 AM

Beyond that, his Home Run record will have a big ole asterisk for all time as far as I am concerned.
Will it? Or will steroid and other enhancements change the game so much that it'll just become the norm? The way that we dismiss anything done in hockey prior to WW2 (roughly) as not being part of the 'modern era' of the game, and so not being really useful to us statistically.

La Flames Fan
08-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Amazing for a guy on 'roids....

troutman
08-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by octothorp+Aug 30 2004, 06:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (octothorp @ Aug 30 2004, 06:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Snakeeye@Aug 30 2004, 10:54 AM

Will it? Or will steroid and other enhancements change the game so much that it'll just become the norm? The way that we dismiss anything done in hockey prior to WW2 (roughly) as not being part of the 'modern era' of the game, and so not being really useful to us statistically. [/b][/quote]
When all these athletes start dying at age 50 for no apparant reason, I would hope that steroids and enhancements are not the norm.

Weiser Wonder
08-30-2004, 06:01 PM
I can't hate Barry Bonds. He's just too pathetic...not allowing baseball games to have your name. now thats just sad to be that egotistical...and hopefully his wife thinks his high voice is sexy because im sure no one else does.

Jiggy_12
08-30-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Weiser Wonder@Aug 30 2004, 06:01 PM
I can't hate Barry Bonds. He's just too pathetic...not allowing baseball games to have your name. now thats just sad to be that egotistical...and hopefully his wife thinks his high voice is sexy because im sure no one else does.
He isnt not allowing baseball video games to have his name
He isnt apart of the MLBPA and the games can't put non MLBPA players into their games.

JiriHrdina
08-30-2004, 09:39 PM
Until I see definitive proof that Bonds is on 'roids I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Does that make me a fool? Probably. But at least I can enjoy watching his exploits without getting all worked about him being on the juice.

Incidently their is a great article in this month's Esquire about the company that makes Bond's bats. Really great read - check it out.

troutman
08-31-2004, 08:52 AM
definitive proof

I guess the enormous and sudden increase in his body mass, sudden rise in his home run totals, hair-trigger temper and surly attitude, evasiveness, the disdain of his own team-mates, and vacant look in his eyes is not definitive proof.

Jiggy_12
08-31-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by troutman@Aug 31 2004, 08:52 AM
definitive proof

I guess the enormous and sudden increase in his body mass, sudden rise in his home run totals, hair-trigger temper and surly attitude, evasiveness, the disdain of his own team-mates, and vacant look in his eyes is not definitive proof.
Not arguing any f your points, but except for the bad teammate part. Bonds wants to win, he will put the team in front of himself. His teammates have said that he is a great team guy. His little spat with Jeff Kent a couple seasons ago could have been as much kent's fault is it was Barry's. Kent has quite the ego himself.

JiriHrdina
08-31-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by troutman@Aug 31 2004, 08:52 AM
definitive proof

No. It's not. They are possible symptons of steroid use but far from definitive proof. Show me the results of a "pee in a cup" test and then I'll believe it.

Innocent and until proven otherwise.

troutman
08-31-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Fuel+Aug 31 2004, 03:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fuel @ Aug 31 2004, 03:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-troutman@Aug 31 2004, 08:52 AM
definitive proof

Not arguing any f your points, but except for the bad teammate part. Bonds wants to win, he will put the team in front of himself. His teammates have said that he is a great team guy. His little spat with Jeff Kent a couple seasons ago could have been as much kent's fault is it was Barry's. Kent has quite the ego himself. [/b][/quote]
On a big mile-stone home run (his 500th I think) none of the Giants came out of the dug-out to congratulate him.

Jiggy_12
08-31-2004, 11:56 AM
But how long ago was that? Considering he is almost at 700 now, alot could have changed since then. 200 divided by about 40-50 a year is still about 4 years. He could have just had bad chemistry with those particular teammates. You watch him play now, and he jokes around and has fun with all the guys on his team. At least thats what I've seen.

Edit: I did some quick math, it was the start of the 2001 season when he hit his 500th. He went on to hit 73 that year to break the record.

habernac
08-31-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by JiriHrdina+Aug 31 2004, 10:16 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JiriHrdina @ Aug 31 2004, 10:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-troutman@Aug 31 2004, 08:52 AM
definitive proof

No. It's not. They are possible symptons of steroid use but far from definitive proof. Show me the results of a "pee in a cup" test and then I'll believe it.

Innocent and until proven otherwise. [/b][/quote]
MLB are too busy burying their heads in the sand over the issue. Not real surprising considering Bud Selig is the commisioner.....

moon
08-31-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by JiriHrdina+Aug 31 2004, 04:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JiriHrdina @ Aug 31 2004, 04:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-troutman@Aug 31 2004, 08:52 AM
definitive proof

Innocent and until proven otherwise. [/b][/quote]
Pretty easy to be innocent when you don't have to test and refuse to go get tested independently to show that you are clean.

moon
08-31-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Fuel@Aug 31 2004, 05:56 PM
But how long ago was that? Considering he is almost at 700 now, alot could have changed since then. 200 divided by about 40-50 a year is still about 4 years. He could have just had bad chemistry with those particular teammates. You watch him play now, and he jokes around and has fun with all the guys on his team. At least thats what I've seen.

Edit: I did some quick math, it was the start of the 2001 season when he hit his 500th. He went on to hit 73 that year to break the record.
I have heard from other former teammates that we not exactly his biggest fans.

Also even some of his teammates now while not saying he is a jerk certainly don't talk about what a great guy he his.

Jiggy_12
08-31-2004, 02:47 PM
Ego's might clash, but the guy wants to win. period. Watch him in the playoffs, watch him lose. You will see one angry Barry, he wants his team to do well. If you can't see that then you haven't watched the same baseball I've been watching, and I watch alot.

flames_1987
08-31-2004, 06:58 PM
I got to see this guy live this Summer, wen to San Fran to watch the Spos play. The guy introduced himself to the kids outside the stadium with I'm Barry Bonds your not whe the kids asked for an autograph. He's one of the best if not the best but man what a tool.

Resolute 14
08-31-2004, 07:01 PM
I did too. In Tampa on the game that started the Devil Rays brief run from pathetic to mediocre. Bonds didnt hit a ball out of the infield.

I'm not sure if I loved seeing him fail so miserably, or if I hated not seeing him get a hold of one.

JiriHrdina
08-31-2004, 08:33 PM
I just have a hard time understanding why Bonds is villified so much. If he is indeed using steroids he's likely just one of perhaps hundred MLB players doing so. Or what about Sosa - dude was caught with a corked bat. After a few months of bad press most people seem to have forgotten about it.

Hey - Bonds probably is a jerk. But man, the guy is still impressive. More than that though - until MLB decides to do something about steroid use in the game I don't see any point making a big deal of whether or not he's on the juice.

troutman
09-01-2004, 01:35 PM
All you need to know about Barry (2001 article):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...life_of_reilly/ (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/life_of_reilly/news/2001/08/21/life_of_reilly/)

Bonds isn't beloved by his teammates. He's not even beliked. He often doesn't run out grounders, doesn't run out flies. If a Giants pitcher gives up a monster home run over Bonds in leftfield, Bonds keeps his hands on his knees and merely swivels his head to watch the ball sail over the fence. He's an MTV diva, only with bigger earrings.

He should be the MVP.

But that doesn't mean you have to root for him.

Jiggy_12
09-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by troutman@Sep 1 2004, 01:35 PM
All you need to know about Barry (2001 article):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...life_of_reilly/ (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/life_of_reilly/news/2001/08/21/life_of_reilly/)

Bonds isn't beloved by his teammates. He's not even beliked. He often doesn't run out grounders, doesn't run out flies. If a Giants pitcher gives up a monster home run over Bonds in leftfield, Bonds keeps his hands on his knees and merely swivels his head to watch the ball sail over the fence. He's an MTV diva, only with bigger earrings.

He should be the MVP.

But that doesn't mean you have to root for him.
I remember reading that article actually..and I believe it. Is Bonds pompous? yes, is he an ass? yes. but does the guy want to win? You gotta believe it. And does he perform like no other player of his era? Yep. Take the good with the bad I suppose, and what you get is still 1 hell of a ball player to watch.