PDA

View Full Version : Who is more dominant at their sport, the All Blacks or Team Canada?

FireGilbert
09-20-2016, 11:35 PM
I am a big fan of both hockey and rugby and was wondering, right now, who is the more dominant team, the New Zealand All Blacks at rugby or Team Canada at hockey?

The All Blacks: Winners of the last two World Cups and on a 15 game winning streak.

Team Canada: Winners of the last two Olympics and on a 153game winning streak.

I am going to lean towards the ABs. They have been blowing every team out recently and during their winning streak only one game was close. Canada on the other hand had closer games and needed a couple OT wins to keep their streak going.

It is very tough to compare however as the ABs play much more often and hockey games can be kept close by a hot goalie (see Latvia).

ChuckieNZ
09-20-2016, 11:59 PM
I'm biased, but for me it's the All Blacks AINEC. They are blowing world class teams out (Wales, Australia, Argentina, South Africa recently) and this is all happening since the retirement of McCaw, Carter, Nonu, Smith & Mealamu. The depth of New Zealand rugby is unmatched by any nation in that they can replace a world class player like Dan Carter as an example, with another world class player in Beauden Barrett, and not skip a beat. In fact, it could be argued they have upped their game even further since the World Cup.

Not saying that Canada isn't dominant, but I see the ABs as being on a whole 'nother level.

TheAlpineOracle
09-21-2016, 12:10 AM
I'm biased, but for me it's the All Blacks AINEC. They are blowing world class teams out (Wales, Australia, Argentina, South Africa recently) and this is all happening since the retirement of McCaw, Carter, Nonu, Smith & Mealamu. The depth of New Zealand rugby is unmatched by any nation in that they can replace a world class player like Dan Carter as an example, with another world class player in Beauden Barrett, and not skip a beat. In fact, it could be argued they have upped their game even further since the World Cup.

Not saying that Canada isn't dominant, but I see the ABs as being on a whole 'nother level.

Everything you just said is the same for Hockey Canada. They are blowing out everyone in best on best competitions and half their roster could turn over and it wouldn't make a difference. They lost Benn and Seguin, doesn't even matter. They could probably put a second team in the tournament and still finish 1-2.

DoubleK
09-21-2016, 12:24 AM
This needs a thread?!

You Need a Thneed
09-21-2016, 12:28 AM
It's easier to blowout a team in Rugby than Hockey. Really hard to compare across sports, especially in a category like this. Both teams are about as dominant as can be at this moment.

That being said - the United States football team (if there was one) would be far more dominant than either.

The Canadian hockey team should start doing something In the spirit of NZs Hakka, just to intimidate their opponents.

FireGilbert
09-21-2016, 12:48 AM
This needs a thread?!

Great comment, thanks for the solid contribution!

It's easier to blowout a team in Rugby than Hockey. Really hard to compare across sports, especially in a category like this. Both teams are about as dominant as can be at this moment.

That being said - the United States football team (if there was one) would be far more dominant than either.

The Canadian hockey team should start doing something In the spirit of NZs Hakka, just to intimidate their opponents.

I didn't want to compare sports where there is only one good team with no international competition. Aussie Rules Football would be another example.

I think Rugby and hockey are a decent comparison. Rugby is a little deeper but both sports have one dominant team, ~3 good teams and ~4 competitive teams.

Locke
09-21-2016, 01:12 AM
This needs a thread?!

Good job padding your post count. Get it up there! Dont quit and shine on you diamond!

He's right though, I cant believe we wasted our money on a thread like this. Getting our refund is going to be tough. Its a shame these damned threads are so goddamned expensive!!!

In other, more 'thread-related news' I think this is actually a cool question.

Both Hockey and Rugby are sports that are fairly limited by their participation demographics.

Both sports have limited participation, they dont have 30 team World Cups, and its all about cycling talent in and out over their useful playing periods.

I'd actually call it a dead heat, but I'd be tempted to tip my hat to New Zealand Rugby as I think they've done it for longer.

Da_Chief
09-21-2016, 01:27 AM
You can put US basketball in there too. I know some wins have been close for them but if they put out their best players it wouldn't even be close. Likes of James, Curry, Westbrook, Paul, Davis etc weren't even at the Olympics yet they still won the gold.

I'm not familiar with rugby much at all so can't compare ABs to Canada/Hockey, USA/basketball.

killer_carlson
09-21-2016, 02:31 AM
I think of the All Blacks vs Wales is a really telling measure of the All Blacks dominance.

Wales hasn't beaten the All Blacks since 1953. They have played 33 matches in their history, not including split squad games.

Wales is currently ranked 5th in the World at Rugby. They have been consistently ranked in the top 10 worldwide.

To put that in perspective, imagine Canada going on a 65 year winning streak against a team like the Czech Republic or Slovakia

If I also recall correctly, there have only ever been 5 countries that have beaten New Zealand at rugby as well.

So in any sport, i'm not sure you can rival the All Blacks longevity as being the top dog as the All Blacks dominance is measured in decades, not years.

Puppet Guy
09-21-2016, 07:12 AM

I think a Canadian Haka would be having the post-game handshake before the puck drop. With lots of "excuse me" and "I'm sorry", and a box of donuts presented to the other team's bench.

Sainters7
09-21-2016, 08:49 AM
I don't know enough about rugby, but from what I've been told from rugby friends when I was in college, aren't the All Blacks famous for usually choking late in tournaments historically? If that's the case, it's gotta be Canada.

undercoverbrother
09-21-2016, 09:08 AM
I don't know enough about rugby, but from what I've been told from rugby friends when I was in college, aren't the All Blacks famous for usually choking late in tournaments historically? If that's the case, it's gotta be Canada.

They did in the 90's during getting spanked by the French was an amazing game to watch. But that isn't the story. In international play, all time, they have won 420 of 545 games played (77% success).

Their standing in the last 10+ years is amazing

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/New_Zealand_IRB_World_Rankings.png

I would say it is very close.

GirlySports
09-21-2016, 09:26 AM
All Blacks for sure. They just roll everyone.

Even in 2010 Canada were a bit of a disaster as Babcock started this system of taking star centers and fitting them into roles and it took time. This group has become very comfortable now in 2016 so they look dominant. However I think a best of 3 against Sweden could go either way.

TheAlpineOracle
09-21-2016, 09:45 AM
I think a Canadian Haka would be having the post-game handshake before the puck drop. With lots of "excuse me" and "I'm sorry", and a box of donuts presented to the other team's bench.

Thornton and Burns should just stand at the red line and start combing their beards while the rest of the team skates around with brooms chanting and sweeping up the debris.

polak
09-21-2016, 10:03 AM
I don't know but it makes it way less fun to watch.

Locke
09-21-2016, 11:36 AM
I don't know but it makes it way less fun to watch.

I find that it depends on the game. Watching the All-Blacks is a treat, its text-book Rugby.

Also, the game is usually always meaningful and Rugby doesnt come with an intensity-dial, if you're on the field playing you are going 100% because there are 10 other guys just waiting to take your spot.

In Hockey with Team Canada, I see what you're saying, because once Canada is up 2 or 3 to zip the game is dead and buried, they start killing time and the intensity falls off a cliff, but I dont find that to be the case with Rugby.

polak
09-21-2016, 12:02 PM
Yeah I was referring to Canada as I've never watched Rugby (before the olympics that is, man that was awesome!).

2010 was the last time I felt really invested in watching Canada play. The game against Latvia in 2014 was intense too but they breezed through the rest of that tournament.

rubecube
09-21-2016, 12:10 PM
They did in the 90's during getting spanked by the French was an amazing game to watch. But that isn't the story. In international play, all time, they have won 420 of 545 games played (77% success).

Their standing in the last 10+ years is amazing

I would say it is very close.

Canada has also had a pretty big habit of choking in big tournaments in the past (World Cup '96, Nagano, Turin).

GirlySports
09-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Yeah I was referring to Canada as I've never watched Rugby (before the olympics that is, man that was awesome!).

2010 was the last time I felt really invested in watching Canada play. The game against Latvia in 2014 was intense too but they breezed through the rest of that tournament.

dunno the Us semifinal was pretty nervous

undercoverbrother
09-21-2016, 12:22 PM
Canada has also had a pretty big habit of choking in big tournaments in the past (World Cup '96, Nagano, Turin).

Fair comment.

I guess with the All Blacks even in the years they pooped the bed at the RWC, they were still dominated during tours (incoming and outgoing) visuallyTM it looked worse. International hockey is player so infrequently that you don't get that ongoing comparison.

Locke
09-21-2016, 12:41 PM
Fair comment.

I guess with the All Blacks even in the years they pooped the bed at the RWC, they were still dominated during tours (incoming and outgoing) visuallyTM it looked worse. International hockey is player so infrequently that you don't get that ongoing comparison.

Yeah, with most International sports and teams theres a more or less 'Standing' National Team, whereas with Hockey they pretty much slap together whomever they can get whenever they have to.

Northendzone
09-21-2016, 01:11 PM
both these teams are good - but neither teams record is close to that of the harlem globetrotters

undercoverbrother
09-21-2016, 01:41 PM
both these teams are good - but neither teams record is close to that of the harlem globetrotters

https://m.popkey.co/fba93c/KMzwG_f-maxage-0.gif

troutman
09-21-2016, 03:22 PM
Korea is really good at the Starcraft.

V
09-21-2016, 06:21 PM
China's got them beat at table tennis.

Party Elephant
09-21-2016, 06:58 PM
Yeah, with most International sports and teams theres a more or less 'Standing' National Team, whereas with Hockey they pretty much slap together whomever they can get whenever they have to.
I agree that this is what makes them harder to compare. The ABs will have their top players together 12-15 games a year whereas in hockey we only get our top guys together for a short tournament every 4 years.

If you take the world hockey championships into account it changes considerably. Canada doesn't usually dominate that tournament and often don't even make the final. There's no rugby equivalent tournament for NZ to not take seriously, it is a big deal every time the team is together. For that reason I'd give the edge to the ABs.

midniteowl
09-22-2016, 12:47 PM
Thornton and Burns should just stand at the red line and start combing their beards while the rest of the team skates around with brooms chanting and sweeping up the debris.

And chasing all the Gremlins around the ice. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/calflames/interesting%20pics/GremlinStripeByInti_zpsr0rgddtk.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/calflames/media/interesting%20pics/GremlinStripeByInti_zpsr0rgddtk.jpg.html)

FireGilbert
09-22-2016, 07:47 PM
Another interesting comparison with a slight edge to New Zealand:

-The All Blacks have only ever lost to 5 different teams: Australia, South Africa, England, France and Wales.

-Canada has lost to 6 different teams: USA, USSR/Russia, Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic, Sweden, Finland and Switzerland.

If not for that one horrible Canada game against Switzerland in 2006 they would be even.