PDA

View Full Version : Hope Solo decides to end her season with NWSL’s Seattle Reign

Otto-matic
08-30-2016, 01:36 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrIMd9ZWEAEVcLQ.jpg:small

Goalkeeper Hope Solo has decided to end her season with the Seattle Reign of the National Women’s Soccer League.

The beleaguered goalkeeper, who was handed a six-month suspension and saw her contract with U.S. Soccer terminated last week, announced her departure from her professional club team in a statement Tuesday.

I don't recall the USWNT firing Solo, she literally was suspended for 2 games.

shermanator
08-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Her contract with the US national team was terminated: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/sports/soccer/hope-solo-us-womens-team-terminated-contract.html?_r=0

Which is good, Solo can go #### herself forever.

Resolute 14
08-30-2016, 02:03 PM
Not even professional enough to honour her commitment to her club team. Sounds about right.

Though it is possible that she was asked to leave.

Otto-matic
08-30-2016, 02:58 PM
At least there may be new hope for the USWNT.........:bag:

nik-
08-30-2016, 03:28 PM
"Coming to terms with the fact that I'm an ####### has been devastating"

That's how that should have read.

Locke
08-30-2016, 03:45 PM
Hope Solo really strikes me as one of those people who are far more trouble than they're worth but just never seem to realize it.

Since1984
08-30-2016, 03:50 PM
Her contract with the US national team was terminated: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/sports/soccer/hope-solo-us-womens-team-terminated-contract.html?_r=0

I'd watch that...

lazypucker
08-30-2016, 04:12 PM
I'd watch that...

TMZ has a behind the scenes video:

http://www.tmz.com/2016/08/30/hope-solo-soccer-team-usa-punishment-video/

Bill Bumface
08-30-2016, 04:41 PM
She's just a bad human.

FIFA should have given her a different ban for the glove change tactics.

corporatejay
08-30-2016, 05:39 PM
Why so much hate for Hope Solo? Seriously, I don't mind her at all.

taco.vidal
08-30-2016, 06:21 PM
Why so much hate for Hope Solo? Seriously, I don't mind her at all.

I like her intensity and that fire within.

Magnum PEI
08-30-2016, 06:41 PM
Both her and Wombach seem completely insane. Although she did say Sinclair was the best ever.

SuperMatt18
08-30-2016, 06:44 PM
She is terrible for other reasons but the post game comments really didn't deserve a 6 month suspension or termination of her contract.

She was heated after a big loss in penalty kicks and was pissed off, don't mind candid comments like that. I hate that all we get for the most part is boring responses from Athletes.

There was nothing wrong with how Sweden played but you just lost in the quarter finals of the Olympics as the heavy favourites - you should be pissed off.

Blaster86
08-30-2016, 06:47 PM
I like her intensity and that fire within.

Yeah.

I mean, when I get fired up I beat the #### out of my nephew. It's the norm.

Locke
08-30-2016, 07:45 PM
She is terrible for other reasons but the post game comments really didn't deserve a 6 month suspension or termination of her contract.

She was heated after a big loss in penalty kicks and was pissed off, don't mind candid comments like that. I hate that all we get for the most part is boring responses from Athletes.

There was nothing wrong with how Sweden played but you just lost in the quarter finals of the Olympics as the heavy favourites - you should be pissed off.

Of course not, but thats the nature of sports. Hope Solo has been a pain in the USWNT's ass for years now, all those comments did was finally throw US soccer a bone and give them a good enough reason to finally get rid of her.

The team, the Organization and the country need to move on from Hope Solo but she was holding on tooth and nail until she finally gave them an excuse.

This is called: 'using someone's ridiculous pride that has been tarnishing the organization against them to get what you want.'

USWNT comes out of this looking reasonable and squeaky clean!

"Hey we made her apologize and banned her for what amounted to 2 games, the rest of this hysterical overreaction is 100% on her and has nothing to do with us."

You can even mentally picture them literally and figuratively washing their hands of Hope Solo.

Locke
08-30-2016, 07:47 PM
Yeah.

Who doesnt? Hes so used to it by now he just recognizes the subtle cues. Hes also viciously phobic of the smell of leather but I have no idea what thats about and I'm sure its completely unrelated.

KootenayFlamesFan
08-30-2016, 07:52 PM
I think if she made those comments after a league game or something there wouldn't have been as much backlash. But the Olympics are a different beast, it's not the time to be calling other athletes 'cowards'. Probably couldn't pick a worse time, actually.

The domestic violence stuff along with the drinking and driving in the national team's van with her husband and just a general bad vibe I get from listening to her and I wouldn't mind if she never played again.

Mr.Coffee
08-30-2016, 09:09 PM

I'm wondering how many people in here that put any defense of Hope Solo have actually read the full article. I think it does a good job of summarizing all of the events which led to the decision.

The ban from US soccer clearly was a series of events and the Sweden related comments were the icing on the cake. They were probably equally embarrassed with the whole twitter tweeting of pictures of beekeeping suit and bugspray stuff which really pissed off the Brazilians as she mocked them for the zika virus risks prior to the beginning of the tournament.

Her behaviour is likely something US soccer doesn't want emulated and therefore they're setting the tone with the move. Hope Solo seems like she is a disaster as a person, a horrible teammate and likely toxic to any dressing room she sets foot in.

Hey can I be the coach that she says doesn't know anything about soccer? What a treat she must be to coach.

Sometimes people's attitudes, no matter how good they are, can be too much.

corporatejay
08-30-2016, 09:36 PM
I think Hope Solo catches a lot of #### because she's a woman and she doesn't act very lady-like.

The reality is she's not as good as she used to be and it's probably time to move on and they finally got sick of her ####, but fans generally really have a hate on for her and I don't know why. She's one of the best female keeper's of all time (if not the best).

Mr.Coffee
08-30-2016, 10:04 PM
I think Hope Solo catches a lot of #### because she's a woman and she doesn't act very lady-like.

The reality is she's not as good as she used to be and it's probably time to move on and they finally got sick of her ####, but fans generally really have a hate on for her and I don't know why. She's one of the best female keeper's of all time (if not the best).

I think the argument that there's sexism at play here is bull####. Did you read the article? In full?

She reminds me of Sean Avery or Terrell Owens... dbags get called out for what they are.

Locke
08-30-2016, 11:41 PM
I think the argument that there's sexism at play here is bull####. Did you read the article? In full?

She reminds me of Sean Avery or Terrell Owens... dbags get called out for what they are.

And even if that werent the case, this is sports, she can keep playing for her club and enjoy that but if her National Team thinks its time to move to 'the keeper of the future' then thats just what National Teams do.

Canada eventually retired Brodeur for Luongo, you just cant keep playing forever, no matter what crazy personal issues you may have.

taco.vidal
08-31-2016, 05:40 AM
Charges were dropped.

Yeah.

Who doesnt? Hes so used to it by now he just recognizes the subtle cues. Hes also viciously phobic of the smell of leather but I have no idea what thats about and I'm sure its completely unrelated.

I think if she made those comments after a league game or something there wouldn't have been as much backlash. But the Olympics are a different beast, it's not the time to be calling other athletes 'cowards'. Probably couldn't pick a worse time, actually.

The domestic violence stuff along with the drinking and driving in the national team's van with her husband and just a general bad vibe I get from listening to her and I wouldn't mind if she never played again.

habernac
08-31-2016, 06:45 AM

Nothing to do with sexism, people don't like her because she acts like a boorish #######. The poor sportsmanship after the Sweden match were the icing on the cake.

GirlySports
08-31-2016, 07:09 AM
I will side with Solo slightly here because the media neglects that the feud was with former coach Pia Sundheim. Sundheim has thrown Solo and other US players under the bus before.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/06/pia-sundhage-calls-hope-solo-a-piece-of-work

So when it was Pia's team that knocked out he US in the Olympic Quarterfinal. I think it's natural for Solo to call Pia a coward.

For US soccer it's all for image. US Women's Soccer has to be perfect to get attention, Olympic Golds and World Cup Golds. Anything less is failure.
To not medal and have Solo comments all over the media, US Soccer is scared.

So it's an easy bandaid solution to slowly phase her out.

corporatejay
08-31-2016, 08:17 AM
Charges were dropped.

He also pulled a gun on her during the altercation to get her to stop. I mean, I feel like everyone was kind of at fault here.

He also allegedly tried to walk away, but Solo called him a name that usually means less than manly, because he called for his mother.

That's when the unnamed nephew decided to escalate things.

"I then went into a back room and got an old gun that does not work, pointed it at her and she kept coming at me. She didn't leave but walked around me, cornering me like a shark," he told TMZ.

I mean wtf? Someone calls you a ##### so you get a gun....

The other thing was that her husband was driving drunk? How is that her fault, is he not an autonomous person?

Resolute 14
08-31-2016, 08:27 AM
Charges were dropped.

Nope. The case was dismissed on procedural grounds, but the charges were re-instated on appeal. Solo has subsequently failed to have them dismissed a second time.

http://komonews.com/news/local/soccer-star-hope-solo-loses-bid-to-have-domestic-violence-trial-canceled

CaptainCrunch
08-31-2016, 10:23 AM
Mrs Solo, vivid video is on line two, they want to film you having sex with a guy dressed as Chewbacca

Cecil Terwilliger
08-31-2016, 10:40 AM
Mrs Solo, vivid video is on line two, they want to film you having sex with a guy dressed as Chewbacca
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COaB3hYU8AEKKlt.jpg:large

KootenayFlamesFan
08-31-2016, 10:48 AM
The other thing was that her husband was driving drunk? How is that her fault, is he not an autonomous person?

They were both drunk, they were driving in a national team van during a national team camp.

Really, really stupid on both of their parts.

Bill Bumface
08-31-2016, 12:58 PM
I don't think it's much of a reach to figure that if this is all of the stuff that comes out publicly, I don't imagine day to day dealings with her are much of a treat.

I think Hope Solo is just a bad human and not only did they get weary of dealing with her crap, her on-field play no longer deems that a necessity.

People have been cut from teams for being dbags before, and it will happen again.

lazypucker
08-31-2016, 02:45 PM
Just like in any profession, if you can perform at your job, the organization will let a lot of things you do off the clock slide.

But if you can no longer do your job, then you will be picked on with the most minute thing....

old-fart
08-31-2016, 04:49 PM
I will side with Solo slightly here because the media neglects that the feud was with former coach Pia Sundheim. Sundheim has thrown Solo and other US players under the bus before.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/06/pia-sundhage-calls-hope-solo-a-piece-of-work

So when it was Pia's team that knocked out he US in the Olympic Quarterfinal. I think it's natural for Solo to call Pia a coward.

For US soccer it's all for image. US Women's Soccer has to be perfect to get attention, Olympic Golds and World Cup Golds. Anything less is failure.
To not medal and have Solo comments all over the media, US Soccer is scared.

So it's an easy bandaid solution to slowly phase her out.

What the Swede coach should have responded with was "maybe Hope should have made a save then...".

She's a horrible human being that was allowed to slide through life because she was good at something that a very small subset of the American people cared enough about to allow her to slide. She's not that good anymore, yet she's still a horrible human being so out the door she goes, and no one (besides Hope Solo) will cry and miss her. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

dino7c
08-31-2016, 05:10 PM
she assaulted a minor! if anything she got a pass because she is a women

Any man beats the #### out of a minor and they are at the very least suspended

HarryH93
09-01-2016, 01:52 AM
The whole "she's being picked on because she's a woman" argument (even though she has a history of domestic violence and engaged in unprofessional behavior while at USWNT camp) is bull####. Just ask Ray Rice or Slava Voynov how they feel about a woman being dismissed from her profession for domestic violence. Of course, we will never know if that's really why she had her contrwct terminated, but I think it's safe to say that she was walking a fine line before the comments were made.

Cecil Terwilliger
03-11-2017, 09:17 PM
BUMP

Anyone see her segment on 60 Minutes Sports on HBO?

My god what an entitled, obnoxious, scumbag POS she is.

Honestly seemed like they were trying to be as flattering as possible but the total piece of #### that she is just couldn't help but shine through.

Found a YouTube video if anyone is interested. Not sure if it'll last.

Hp07CthEx34

Machiavelli
03-11-2017, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the link. I don't think she came across poorly at all.

Cecil Terwilliger
03-11-2017, 10:38 PM
She came across as dodging responsibility for anything that's happened. Totally unapologetic for her behaviour. Everything was someone else's fault. Complete lack of humility. It was her coach's fault, her families fault, it was a sexist conspiracy not her poor attitude that got her kicked off the national team etc.

And iirc she's eligible for reinstatement soon. You'd think she'd want to make a good impression, not just bad mouth the people who can help restore her image.

Dion
03-11-2017, 10:41 PM
She came across as dodging responsibility for anything that's happened. Totally unapologetic for her behaviour. Everything was someone else's fault. Complete lack of humility. It was her coach's fault, her families fault, it was a sexist conspiracy not her poor attitude that got her kicked off the national team etc.

And iirc she's eligible for reinstatement soon. You'd think she'd want to make a good impression, not just bad mouth the people who can help restore her image.

Her massive ego won't let her admit that maybe her comments were too harsh. She comes across as a "know it all" who thinks she knows better than her coaches, family etc.

Cowboy89
03-12-2017, 10:00 PM
Her tone of voice in that interview was very annoying. She sounded like Jessica Lovejoy on the Simpsons.