PDA

View Full Version : The Official 16/17 Various National Soccer Team News Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

cam_wmh
08-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Sam Allardyce makes early contact with England's Euro 2016 players as he begins work on stopping cycle of failure

Here's hoping..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/02/sam-allardyce-makes-early-contact-with-england-euro-2016-players/

Locke
08-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Presumably to tell them that their services are no longer required.

rubecube
08-04-2016, 12:07 PM
I honestly don't understand why every England manager has to do things their own way instead of using the players in the roles they were successful in for their clubs. Hodgson with Kane and Ali, Capello with Lampard and Gerrard, etc. Hopefully Big Sam can buck the trend.

GirlySports
08-04-2016, 01:31 PM
I honestly don't understand why every England manager has to do things their own way instead of using the players in the roles they were successful in for their clubs. Hodgson with Kane and Ali, Capello with Lampard and Gerrard, etc. Hopefully Big Sam can buck the trend.

This.

Also with Leicester and Spurs doing so well last year the team should have been easy to pick from those two clubs mostly

4-4-2

Hart
Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Rose
Townsend, Alli, Dyer, Albrighton
Vardy, Kane

I think that team picks itself without anyone out of position and without Hodgson trying to shoehorn Rooney into everything.

rubecube
08-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Hart
Vardy, Kane

Not enough Raheem Sterling.

Regards,
Roy Hodgson

Locke
08-04-2016, 02:22 PM
This.

Also with Leicester and Spurs doing so well last year the team should have been easy to pick from those two clubs mostly

4-4-2

Hart
Vardy, Kane

I think that team picks itself without anyone out of position and without Hodgson trying to shoehorn Rooney into everything.

Its an indictment of the talent available in the Premier League, clearly the Russian and Icelandic leagues are superior in all ways.

Although England did beat Portugal 1-0 in a Friendly prior to the Tournament and ergo are the greatest team in Europe and Champions in all but name and all is well.

cam_wmh
08-04-2016, 04:37 PM
+ Drinkwater

Locke
08-05-2016, 08:26 AM
+ Drinkwater

No. I dont trust water. I know what fish do in there. :ph34r:

devo22
08-05-2016, 09:21 AM
poor Big Sam. Hasn't even started and he's already lost one of the biggest superstars.

England ‏@England
We can confirm that James Milner has retired from international duty after 61 appearances for the #ThreeLions.

cam_wmh
08-28-2016, 01:58 PM
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p480x480/14089007_10153660673602447_4046940668197864765_n.j pg?oh=97322b5c36247f3accc84ad56a673326&oe=585A3F22

In comparison to the Euro squad, Milner, Bertrand, Barkley, Wilshere and Rashford are out. Michail Antonio is in for the first time, while Shaw, Walcott, Drinkwater and Jagielka are back in. No idea how Walcott makes it over Barkley, but oh well.

Just re-posting this

Senator Clay Davis
08-29-2016, 11:20 AM
Well word is Big Sam is naming Jordan Henderson England captain tomorrow. Over/under when Sam gets fired?

cam_wmh
08-29-2016, 12:36 PM
Well word is Big Sam is naming Jordan Henderson England captain tomorrow. Over/under when Sam gets fired?

Gotta be joking!
Smalling, Lallana, Drinkwater, Dyer, would all be better, if he feels he needs to strip Rooney.

The truth is, there isn't a better leader than Rooney on this team.

If he wants to do something start making his mark, make Forster his keeper, and bench Cahill for Stones.

Locke
08-29-2016, 12:55 PM
Gotta be joking!
Smalling, Lallana, Drinkwater, Dyer, would all be better, if he feels he needs to strip Rooney.

The truth is, there isn't a better leader than Rooney on this team.

If he wants to do something start making his mark, make Forster his keeper, and bench Cahill for Stones.

No way! Make Henderson the Captain, hes the best player they have.

devo22
08-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Surely Allardyce isn't that stupid? Not that Rooney is great or anything, but taking the armband away from him is a dumb move. Rooney has a lot of support in the media and among pundits, this would create a lot of unnecessary noise. Plus: Henderson? Lol.

Locke
08-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Surely Allardyce isn't that stupid? Not that Rooney is great or anything, but taking the armband away from him is a dumb move. Rooney has a lot of support in the media and among pundits, this would create a lot of unnecessary noise. Plus: Henderson? Lol.

Lol because hes the best decision?

Although I do agree with your media comment, that makes a lot of sense but I think Big Sam is the lamb being lead to the slaughter here, hes been brought in to change the culture and I think he'll do it and do a good job of it. But its going to suck, its going to be unpopular and its going to have consequences. So hopefully they're paying him 'Cappello money.'

England wont likely do all that well in the meantime, but what does that matter? They'll qualify for the World Cup. Hell, they had a perfect qualification record for the Euros and we all know how that went.

Right now the results hardly matter, its about changing the culture of the England team so their balls dont drop off the second they pull on the Three Lions shirt.

devo22
08-29-2016, 02:41 PM
and that makes Henderson a worthy captain of England because ...?

I agree with your overall sentiment, but if you want to convince me that a guy who started 3 of the last 15 England games all of the sudden is the best choice for the armband ... I'm here. Go ahead.

Locke
08-29-2016, 02:50 PM
and that makes Henderson a worthy captain of England because ...?

I agree with your overall sentiment, but if you want to convince me that a guy who started 3 of the last 15 England games all of the sudden is the best choice for the armband ... I'm here. Go ahead.

Okay, if you read the Kelowna thread you shall understand that, while early in the day, I have been medicating myself. With bleach, booze and what may or not be embalming fluid. The container is blank and unhelpful. Who doesnt put labels on these things? Anyways....

The Henderson comments were a joke. He is by no means a terrible decision, but its not a call that I'd make. Would I take the arm-band away from Rooney? Damned right I would, if I'm the manager looking for a culture and attitude shift then yes, it has to happen, then you have to pick who to give it to.

If you look at that roster and take Rooney out of the equation, who do you pick? Henderson isnt a terrible call, but I'd prefer to give it to a goalkeeper or established defenceman. Not knowing whether Hart is going to be around much longer and not having a clear-cut #1 CB its a tough call.

If not Henderson my money would be on Cahill.

d_phaneuf
08-29-2016, 04:40 PM
sounds like it's Rooney still then Kane or Stones most likely when he drops it

cam_wmh
08-29-2016, 05:01 PM
Lol Henderson is barely good enough for Englamds bench, and barely good enough for a mid table club. If Liverpool strive for top 4, Henderson is nowhere near their first team.

Locke
08-29-2016, 05:16 PM
Lol Henderson is barely good enough for Englamds bench, and barely good enough for a mid table club. If Liverpool strive for top 4, Henderson is nowhere near their first team.

Good to know.

d_phaneuf
08-29-2016, 06:29 PM
that's what makes no sense to me with the rumor it was him

they should do it like Italy and just have most caps = captain

but if you are going with someone who is guaranteed to be a first choice on the team sheet for like the next 2 tournament cycles?

only name I can come up with is Dier

devo22
08-30-2016, 10:39 AM
Rooney keeps the armband and retires from the team after the 2018 WC.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37220971

Locke
09-01-2016, 03:19 PM
Neuer named new Germany Captain. Schweinsteiger retires.

http://www.espnfc.us/world-cup-qualifying-uefa/story/2941996/germany-confirm-manuel-neuer-as-captain-after-bastian-schweinsteiger-retirement

Thanks Basti!

GirlySports
09-01-2016, 05:17 PM
Brazil crushed Ecuador in Quito. They might be getting it back together.

Japan lost at home to UAE. Thats surprising.

cam_wmh
09-03-2016, 09:26 PM
Big Sam named his starting England 11 vs Slovakia.

England Hart; Walker, Cahill, Stones, Rose; Dier, Henderson; Lallana, Rooney, Sterling; Kane.

If Sam were really dressing his most in form 11;
Drinkwater for Henderson
Vardy for Kane
Antonio for Lallana

The Big Chill
09-03-2016, 11:24 PM
Henderson is an odd one. He seems to get picked in starting lineups all the time despite his rather average performances.

GirlySports
09-04-2016, 11:22 AM
what are Poland doing :P

Senator Clay Davis
09-04-2016, 11:40 AM
Of course Sam brings on Walcott instead of Vardy, and of course Walcott absolutely ####s the bed on a good chance.

Locke
09-05-2016, 02:16 PM
Liverpool's Adam Lallana saves England. You're welcome.

cam_wmh
09-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Sam is just a Roy who smiles more.

I don't know if I should be investing any energy in England. Just the same old.

Senator Clay Davis
09-06-2016, 12:13 PM
I hope Rashford enjoyed his first (and last) U21 appearance for England: He's got a hat trick. So Sam has to be some kind of dumb to leave him off future big squads, he's arguably England's most in form striker right now.

GirlySports
09-06-2016, 03:18 PM
saw highlights. Luxembourg GK was shambles tonight! Denied his country a historical result

troutman
09-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Brazil crushed Ecuador in Quito. They might be getting it back together.

I thought FIFA was banning games at high altitude?

polak
09-06-2016, 03:21 PM
what are Poland doing :P

omfg don't get me started. Didn't watch the game but I was livid when I saw the score.

GirlySports
09-06-2016, 03:25 PM
I thought FIFA was banning games at high altitude?

they did but after a south american protest it was lifted in 2008.

troutman
09-06-2016, 03:32 PM
they did but after a south american protest it was lifted in 2008.

What was there to protest? All the Andean countries have lower altitude cities with stadiums.

devo22
09-06-2016, 03:39 PM
21 year old Nathaniel Chalobah had his 88th cap for an England youth team today, I think it was his 31st u21 cap. He has played zero professional games for Chelsea. Crazy stuff.

GirlySports
09-06-2016, 03:48 PM
What was there to protest? All the Andean countries have lower altitude cities with stadiums.

IIRC they protested that other countries can play anywhere, in cold, in hot, day or night, real grass or turf. So why is Altitude singled out? Also FIFA could not prove that was more of a health risk then say playing in the African desert. So they dropped it.

Locke
09-06-2016, 09:25 PM
So the Swiss bring down the Euro champs. Nice.

M*A*S*H 4077
09-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Good for nothing Mexicans

CroFlames
09-07-2016, 08:42 AM
Croatia absolutely dominates Turkey.

Gets a 1-1 draw. Barf.

3 crossbars in the first half alone.

Senator Clay Davis
09-07-2016, 08:44 AM
I see France held to a scoreless draw by Belarus. That might be the biggest surprise of the first round of WC qualifying. Waaay too much talent in that France squad to score nothing against a real minnow.

GirlySports
09-07-2016, 08:57 AM
I see France held to a scoreless draw by Belarus. That might be the biggest surprise of the first round of WC qualifying. Waaay too much talent in that France squad to score nothing against a real minnow.

Well France could not beat the Ronaldo-less minnows of Portugal in the European final at home. There are real problems with Deschamps.

Addick
09-11-2016, 04:57 PM
Did anyone catch any of the 2016 Futsal World Cup matches that were on TV yesterday? I watched a couple of them and they were rather interesting. Due to the size of competition, I've always thought that Calgary or Alberta could probably host it rather easily. Maybe we should try hosting the CONCACAF championship and build toward the WC.

SuperMatt18
09-12-2016, 07:18 AM
Picked up tickets for the Italy vs Spain Qualifier on October 6th in Turin.

Pretty pumped for that.

Forza Azzurri!

CroFlames
09-12-2016, 08:10 AM
I heard that newer stadium in Turin is actually sweet. Very intimate and good for crowd atmosphere.

Apparently the old one was world class for bad atmosphere. And drafts.

GirlySports
09-12-2016, 09:47 AM
Did anyone catch any of the 2016 Futsal World Cup matches that were on TV yesterday? I watched a couple of them and they were rather interesting. Due to the size of competition, I've always thought that Calgary or Alberta could probably host it rather easily. Maybe we should try hosting the CONCACAF championship and build toward the WC.

lots of different countries in this. Perhaps its more of an equalizer? i'm told the Solomon Islands are pretty good. The powerhouses are the usual suspects, Brazil, Argentina, Spain and Italy.

nik-
09-21-2016, 11:01 AM
Euro 2020 going all over Europe with a London final

https://twitter.com/UEFAEURO/status/778569195353206784

http://i.imgur.com/Taaf4Az.png

polak
09-21-2016, 12:30 PM
Yup they've been saying it for a while.

I love it but if I was European I'd be pretty pissed. Makes it a lot harder to see your team play multiple games.

nik-
09-21-2016, 12:32 PM
Why is it harder?

It's cheaper to just fly return to and from the games than stay parked in a city or two in one country.

Senator Clay Davis
09-21-2016, 12:35 PM
So what team is going to get punished with the Baku to Dublin or Bilbao flight? I like the concept of multiple cities across Europe hosting, but a potential 9 hour flight between games is ridiculous.

Cecil Terwilliger
09-21-2016, 12:37 PM
lol Azerbaijan.

Somewhere, someone had a dumptruck full of money brought to their house. I can't believe they are actually going to play in that scum country (FTR the people aren't scum, just the government/police etc). And here I thought maybe some lessons had been learned from awarding the world cup to Qatar.

"That Azerbaijan Euro presentation...Let's just say it moved me...TO A BIGGER HOUSE!. Oops I said the quiet part loud and the loud part quiet."
- UEFA representative at meeting to decide host cities.

devo22
09-22-2016, 05:08 AM
That 2020 tournament was Platinis baby, so of course a part of it is shady. You can't expect a noble man like him to pass up that sweet Azerbaijan money, can you?

polak
09-22-2016, 11:38 AM
Why is it harder?

It's cheaper to just fly return to and from the games than stay parked in a city or two in one country.

It's only "cheap" to fly between the major centers. You're not getting to Dublin, Budapest, Bucharest or Copenhagen for overly cheap. The flights between cities like that still come out to around $200 on EasyJet or RyanAir and then you also don't have your car there to get around between off days.

nik-
09-22-2016, 11:40 AM
But you don't have off days. You fly there, you fly home. You don't rent cars, you don't rent hotels.

Addick
09-22-2016, 11:43 AM
It's only "cheap" to fly between the major centers. You're not getting to Dublin, Budapest, Bucharest or Copenhagen for overly cheap. The flights between cities like that still come out to around $200 on EasyJet or RyanAir and then you also don't have your car there to get around between off days.

Isn't RyanAir based in Dublin?

nik-
09-22-2016, 11:46 AM
It is.

What is harder about this is the ability to make it a one month vacation. For Europeans that actually want to go watch their team, this is actually fantastic. Instead of taking off stretches of time, you can take off a couple days a few times, fly in and out, and save a ton of money.

Senator Clay Davis
09-22-2016, 11:48 AM
That 2020 tournament was Platinis baby, so of course a part of it is shady. You can't expect a noble man like him to pass up that sweet Azerbaijan money, can you?

How did Almaty not get a game then? Kazakhstan is pretty well know for its corruption. I suppose they can't offer as nice a seaside house as Azerbaijan can though.

Senator Clay Davis
09-26-2016, 03:55 PM
Good news England fans, Big Sam may already be on his way out.

Sam Allardyce used his position as England manager to negotiate a £400,000 deal and offered advice to businessmen on how to “get around” FA rules on player transfers, The Telegraph can disclose.

Before he had even held his first training session as England’s new head coach, Allardyce negotiated a deal with men purporting to represent a Far East firm that was hoping to profit from the Premier League’s billion-pound transfer market.

He agreed to travel to Singapore and Hong Kong as an ambassador and explained to the “businessmen” how they could circumvent Football Association rules which prohibit third parties “owning” players.

Unbeknown to Allardyce, the businessmen were undercover reporters and he was being filmed as part of a 10-month Telegraph investigation that separately unearthed widespread evidence of bribery and corruption in British football.

Over the course of two meetings, lasting four hours in total, Allardyce told the fictitious businessmen that it was “not a problem” to bypass the rules introduced by his employers in 2008.

He said he knew of certain agents who were “doing it all the time” and added: “You can still get around it. I mean obviously the big money’s here.”

During Allardyce’s meetings with the reporters he also:

- Criticised his predecessor Roy Hodgson, dubbing him “Woy” and saying that he “hasn’t got the personality” for public speaking;

- Said England’s players were underperforming because they had a “psychological barrier” and “can’t cope”;

- Suggested that players who were not being played for their club should not be picked for England;

- Described the FA decision to redevelop Wembley as “stupid”.

The issue of “third party ownership” in football has been described as “slavery”. It effectively allows companies to own a stake in a footballer. The FA led the way by banning the practice in 2008 and football’s world governing body, Fifa, followed in 2015.

Allardyce, 61, told his prospective employers it was “not a problem” to dodge the “ridiculous” rules.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/26/exclusive-investigation-england-manager-sam-allardyce-for-sale/

Locke
09-26-2016, 04:02 PM
Jesus....that was probably his first day.

Senator Clay Davis
09-26-2016, 04:03 PM
The best part is the hidden video, he appears to be drinking a pint of wine. Man's man right there.

Locke
09-26-2016, 04:05 PM
The best part is the hidden video, he appears to be drinking a pint of wine. Man's man right there.

He really didnt hide any cards up his sleeves on this one.

devo22
09-26-2016, 05:11 PM
oh Sam ... we hardly knew ye.

Locke
09-26-2016, 05:14 PM

Re-Hire Roy?

Tony Pulis would probably do it...

devo22
09-26-2016, 05:14 PM
Steve Bruce?

Locke
09-26-2016, 05:15 PM
Steve Bruce?

David Moyes?

devo22
09-26-2016, 05:17 PM
You really want to watch the world burn, don't you?

Locke
09-26-2016, 05:18 PM
You really want to watch the world burn, don't you?

I'm a Germany fan, I'll bring the Gerry Can.

Senator Clay Davis
09-26-2016, 05:18 PM
David Beckham....cause why the hell not?

cam_wmh
09-26-2016, 11:42 PM
Paul Scholes. lol

GirlySports
09-27-2016, 07:48 AM
One of the things I love about British journalism is their attention to descriptive detail. For example:

Allardyce left his home in Bolton, Greater Manchester, shortly before 7am on Tuesday. He came out of the side of his home and swiftly got into his black Mercedes car which was parked on his front drive. Wearing a suit, and a shirt unbuttoned to the navel, he then drove off without comment.

polak
09-27-2016, 08:38 AM
David Beckham....cause why the hell not?

The man can do no wrong.

Slava
09-27-2016, 09:17 AM
One of the things I love about British journalism is their attention to descriptive detail. For example:

Big Sam wearing a shirt "unbuttoned to the navel" is a sight that no one needs to see!

Locke
09-27-2016, 12:52 PM
England and Sam Allardyce have mutually agreed to part ways.

In a lot of ways I feel bad for Big Sam, this was his shot to finally become more than a Bit-Part manager.

But, in fairness, while he did conspire to circumvent the Law he did receive a 'Pint of Wine' so he did have that going for him.

devo22
09-27-2016, 12:56 PM
But, in fairness, while he did conspire to circumvent the Law he did receive a 'Pint of Wine' so he did have that going for him.
that was probably my favourite part. There he sits at a meeting with "important businessmen" he's only just met and who he wants to do lucrative business with, sipping wine from a freaking pint glass. Outstanding.

Senator Clay Davis
09-27-2016, 12:59 PM
Works out well for Sunderland, when they sack Moyes in January Big Sam can lead them out of relegation yet again.

Slava
09-27-2016, 01:00 PM
England and Sam Allardyce have mutually agreed to part ways.

In a lot of ways I feel bad for Big Sam, this was his shot to finally become more than a Bit-Part manager.

Well he does leave the post undefeated, which is unheard of!

Locke
09-27-2016, 01:10 PM
that was probably my favourite part. There he sits at a meeting with "important businessmen" he's only just met and who he wants to do lucrative business with, sipping wine from a freaking pint glass. Outstanding.

Easily my favourite part. Nothing screams class and credibility like sipping wine from a pint glass while conducting high-level business negotiations or huddling conspiratorially.

The next time I go to a nice restaurant or hotel I want to order a pint of wine just to see what happens.

Senator Clay Davis
09-27-2016, 01:16 PM
To be fair he could have just swigged right from the bottle, so a pint is quite classy relatively speaking.

Locke
09-27-2016, 01:20 PM
Unsurprisingly Gareth Southgate is named interim England Manager.

No word on whether or not that position is accompanied by a complimentary 'Pint of Wine' but I'm surmising that it does not as, if it did a lot of this rigmarole could likely have been avoided.

Barnet Flame
09-27-2016, 02:45 PM
http://newsthump.com/2016/09/27/sam-allardyce-updates-cv-with-100-win-record-in-international-football/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

afc wimbledon
09-27-2016, 04:35 PM

Oh we knowed ye Sam all right, noweth suprize hereth

Slava
09-27-2016, 06:28 PM
Apparently a number of managers are implicated in these schemes and things could be ugly as all the investigative journalists want a piece of the action. It's alluded to you a little bit in this interesting piece http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/the-farce-behind-england-manager-sam-allardyces-firing/article32092991/?cmpid=rss1&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Senator Clay Davis
10-03-2016, 03:09 PM
"Hey guys, did you see how much the quality of the Euro's declined after expanding to 24 teams?"

"I know, let's go to 48!"

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has proposed a 48-team World Cup that would see 16 teams eliminated after one knockout match.

The proposal would essentially add a play-in round three days before the current 32-team group stage. From that point, the tournament would progress as it has in the past.

Infantino revealed his plan during a visit to Bogata, Colombia, and said the proposal will be discussed at a FIFA council next week before a final decision in made in January.

"The idea is that 16 teams would qualify directly to the group stage and the other 32 would play in a preliminary phase, in the country where the World Cup is being played -- they would play for the remaining 16 places," Infantino said, according to local media. FIFA confirmed the president's plan to Reuters.

"It means we continue with a normal World Cup for 32 teams, but 48 teams go to the party."

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/2965257/fifa-president-gianni-infantino-proposes-48-team-world-cup-with-play-in-round

I mean this is what we all want right? 16 games of bus parking and shootouts to probably get eliminated in the round of 32 anyway?

GirlySports
10-03-2016, 08:05 PM
That actually would eliminate crappy teams from the 32

VladtheImpaler
10-04-2016, 10:25 AM
That actually would eliminate crappy teams from the 32

It would not - see post above. The Senator is exactly right about what would transpire.

d_phaneuf
10-04-2016, 10:28 AM
it depends how they expand

if it means an extra European or South American team can knockout a CONCACAF squad

i.e say the Netherlands gets in ahead of Honduras, or Columbia gets in ahead of Iraq

then yes it could be very good for the tournament

Senator Clay Davis
10-04-2016, 10:33 AM
Yeah but it's FIFA. And given I imagine the ultimate goal of this is to get China in the WC anyway possible, it'll be AFC and CAF teams who take up most of the extra spots. I bet UEFA gets the fewest of the extra spots.

Addick
10-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Yeah but it's FIFA. And given I imagine the ultimate goal of this is to get China in the WC anyway possible, it'll be AFC and CAF teams who take up most of the extra spots. I bet UEFA gets the fewest of the extra spots.

I've heard that China is actually taking a wise approach to youth development. It won't result in a rapid ascension but their next generation could be the start of their Icelandic-like progress.

GirlySports
10-04-2016, 01:28 PM
I think Infantino is smart here, it gives the myth that more non-europeans will get in but more europeans will actually get in.

For World Cup 2022
Let's break this down simply using the current FIFA Rankings (in brackets)

Original 16 (These guys are in):
Hosts: QATAR
UEFA (6 spots): Belgium(2), Germany(3), Portugal(7), France(8), Wales(10), Spain(11)
CONMEBOL (3 spots): Argentina(1), Colombia(4), Brazil(5)
CONCACAF (2 spots): Mexico(15), Costa Rica(18)
AFC (2 spots): Iran(37), Australia(45)
CAF (2 sports): Cote D'ivoire(34), Algeria(35)

For the playoffs, lets give 1 spot to Oceania, 10 to UEFA, 3 to CONMEBOL, and 6 to the rest.

Oceania (1 spot): New Zealand(88)
UEFA (10 spots): England(12), Italy(13), Croatia(14), Suisse(16), Poland(17), Hungary(20), Turkey(21), Bosnia(23), Netherlands(24), Austria(26)
CONMEBOL (3 spots): Chile(6), Uruguay(9), Ecuador(19)
CONCACAF (6 spots): USA(22), Panama(62), Trinidad&Tobago(69), St.Kitts&Nevis(77), Guatemala(79), Jamaica(80)
AFC (6 spots): South Korea(47), Uzbekistan(49), Saudi Arabia(52), Japan(56), UAE(66), China(78)
CAF (6 spots): Senegal(39), Tunisia(42), Ghana(43), Congo DR(51), Egypt(53), Congo(54)

You would think that under normal FIFA procedures the top 16 would be seeded against the bottom 16

The top 16 are
Chile(6)
Uruguay(9)
England(12)
Italy(13)
Croatia(14)
Suisse(16)
Poland(17)
Ecuador(19)
Hungary(20)
Turkey(21)
USA(22)
Bosnia(23)
Netherlands(24)
Austria(26)
Senegal(39)
Tunisia (42)

How many of the other 16 can beat any of these 16? not many. You could have 16 European teams in a 32 team world cup.

polak
10-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Don't like one game playoffs before the group. Anyone can win a game.

GirlySports
10-04-2016, 01:36 PM
I can see the appeal for confederations not named UEFA or CONMEBOL. Like Canada would be competing for one of 8 spots instead of 3.5. And in a one gamer who knows!

But in most cases, the Euros would win the playoff. If you feel my allocation is too generous, you can adjust it.

Senator Clay Davis
10-04-2016, 01:44 PM
Why in most cases? I think in most cases we'd end up with extra time or penalties, and then who knows. It would just be the absolute worst soccer to watch, we thought bus parking was bad at Euro 2016, but at least teams had multiple games. 16 games of teams trying to get to penalties would be pretty terrible to watch.

Locke
10-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Why in most cases? I think in most cases we'd end up with extra time or penalties, and then who knows. It would just be the absolute worst soccer to watch, we thought bus parking was bad at Euro 2016, but at least teams had multiple games. 16 games of teams trying to get to penalties would be pretty terrible to watch.

Eliminate penalties. Make 'em play until someone scores.

After extra times elapses boards come up at the touch lines and each team loses two players to make it 9 on 9.

If he wants to screw with the game dont half-ass it. ;)

GirlySports
10-04-2016, 03:09 PM
i dont think the small teams are that good at parking the bus, it happens more when good and really good teams play each other. I can't think of really good examples in World Cups.

Locke
10-04-2016, 03:12 PM
i dont think the small teams are that good at parking the bus, it happens more when good and really good teams play each other. I can't think of really good examples in World Cups.

:blink:

Small teams are particularly good at parking the bus. They tend to have to do it a lot.

GirlySports
10-04-2016, 03:28 PM
:blink:

Small teams are particularly good at parking the bus. They tend to have to do it a lot.

But it's not successful. Like I understand Greece parking the bus against Germany perhaps. But Jamaica don't even have parking the bus discipline to withstand 90 minutes. Europe has 17 teams in the top 30 in the world. That's the level where teams can defend.

d_phaneuf
10-04-2016, 06:52 PM
How many of the other 16 can beat any of these 16? not many. You could have 16 European teams in a 32 team world cup.

aka close to the dream of having the Euro's every 2 years and inviting Brazil and the Argies

GirlySports
10-06-2016, 02:37 PM
totally forgot there was soccer today, Italy-Spain!

must be Blue Jays fever

Senator Clay Davis
10-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Iceland scored twice in injury time to go from certain loss to beating Finland 3-2. Boom!

Locke
10-07-2016, 01:09 PM
Bulgaria....:blink:

Locke
10-07-2016, 01:31 PM
Theres France.

devo22
10-08-2016, 08:54 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuQLqkzWcAAvKep.jpg:small

https://media.giphy.com/media/129g9HK07tEtZm/giphy.gif

Senator Clay Davis
10-08-2016, 09:36 AM
It is Malta, so even fielding a slightly puzzling lineup they should roll.

polak
10-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Is Sportsnet not showing any of the qualifiers?!

Wtf do we really need 7 hours of baseball highlights and BS. Jesus.

GirlySports
10-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Sn1 will show Germany thats it

Slava
10-08-2016, 12:44 PM
Sportsnet World has a pile of games. I don't know how many people want to see these games, but I guess if you are super interested they're on TV.

polak
10-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Lewandowski playing like a Dbag today.

polak
10-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Lewandowski scores an amazing hat trick goal just 50 min into the game and then Glik puts it in his own net with a header back to the goalie.

Wow. The stupidest thing I've ever seen.

polak
10-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Almost choked as usual but pulled it out 3-2.

Lewandowski is a beast (hate the couple dbag plays he made today though).

Locke
10-09-2016, 02:09 PM
Iceland!! Shine on you crazy bastards! BOOM!

2-0 over Turkey in the 62nd, hopefully they can hold on to that.

And Wales drop points.

Senator Clay Davis
10-09-2016, 02:34 PM
Macedonia led Italy with 15 minutes left in the 90, but a couple late goals save Italy.

devo22
10-10-2016, 08:10 AM
Wayne Rooney has been dropped for England’s World Cup qualifier away to Slovenia tomorrow night, Telegraph Sport understands.

The captain has been under intense scrutiny following a series of disappointing performances with his place in midfield set to be taken by Eric Dier.

The decision was made after training at Tottenham Hotspur’s Enfield training ground on Monday with Rooney being informed.

Although interim manager Gareth Southgate confirmed that Rooney would remain as captain when he took the job he has now decided to act after just one game.

Southgate has – at least – three more matches in charge and no-one can accuse him of not making a brave decision. He becomes the first England manager to leave out Rooney for such a crucial competitive match.

It is all the more remarkable given Southgate is a caretaker with relatively little experience but he appears determined to make his mark.good call obviously. Good on Southgate, didn't think he'd have the balls.

Senator Clay Davis
10-10-2016, 08:24 AM
Rooney's wife is fighting with Twitter trolls today. At least a Rooney is showing some fight.

GirlySports
10-10-2016, 01:17 PM
The Dutch look awful from top to bottom

Bagor
10-10-2016, 03:49 PM
Benteke with the fastest WC qualifying goal in history.cM9lKZoSyGs
Beats the previous record of 8.3 seconds in a game where England had to beat San Marino by at least 7 to stand a chance of qualifying.
rZS2aLl80wM

GirlySports
10-10-2016, 05:07 PM
I'm sad the San Marino record is broken

d_phaneuf
10-11-2016, 12:47 AM
good call obviously. Good on Southgate, didn't think he'd have the balls.

If he leaves at the end of the year but has left behind the legacy for this team that the most famous player is dropable then, and sadly this isnt a joke, he's one of the top 3 English managers in the last 50 years

I am hoping its one of those things that is just easier to do after the first time its done

GirlySports
10-11-2016, 09:51 AM
if you are bored youtube has the Asian WCQ between Iran and Korea (currently 1-0 Iran at halftime)
Yk72ehHjg4k

no commentary so it's like you're sitting right there in Tehran!

also Qatar-Syria at 10am.
EJkcKsj4_W4

Locke
10-11-2016, 01:14 PM
Well....thats not gone well for the Irish. Their instructions were probably 'keep it close for the first ~20 minutes.'

Its not even 20 minutes in and its 2-0 Germany.

Senator Clay Davis
10-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Well it looks like worst case scenario for England fans, they look just as bad or even worse without Rooney. Back into the starting lineup for next game without a doubt.

Locke
10-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Well it looks like worst case scenario for England fans, they look just as bad or even worse without Rooney. Back into the starting lineup for next game without a doubt.

Well...they're not losing, they're just not winning. They'll probably still win.

But the fact of the matter is, these mid to low level National sides are where Rooney is at his best.

d_phaneuf
10-11-2016, 01:45 PM
they are playing a team thats parking the bus

and sturridge should have a goal and assisted on another tap in if he had vision

not a real problem

Bagor
10-11-2016, 01:56 PM
Could be worse. They could be Scotland.

polak
10-11-2016, 02:45 PM
Wow Poland almost tied Armenia in Warsaw with Armenia being down to 10 men from the 30th minute and scoring another own goal.

Luckily Lewandowski scored in the FIFTH minute of stoppage time to win. Don't think Poland could recover from two ties to the minnows in group E.

polak
11-11-2016, 02:24 PM
God Lewandowski makes it hard to cheer for him. Such a #####.

Although the Romanian fans throwing firecrackers at players is not cool.

Locke
11-11-2016, 02:25 PM
God Lewandowski makes it hard to cheer for him. Such a #####.

Although the Romanian fans throwing firecrackers at players is not cool.

What would you prefer they throw?

polak
11-11-2016, 02:29 PM
And then he goes and scores to make it 2-0 in the 82nd minute and all is forgiven.

polak
11-11-2016, 02:30 PM
and he scores a PK in the 90th min to make it 3-0

What would you prefer they throw?

Tampons would be funny.

Locke
11-11-2016, 02:34 PM
I'm not sure the Germans can pull this off.

polak
11-11-2016, 02:42 PM
I'm not sure the Germans can pull this off.

Short of 10? weak.

hah Montenegro lost to Armenia, Poland on top of Group E.

VladtheImpaler
11-11-2016, 02:59 PM
BTW, over on this side, Brazil demolished Argentina, so national self-immolation day has been postponed.

d_phaneuf
11-11-2016, 04:19 PM
thats the most flattering 3-0 I can think ive seen

England had 3 players who created chances that game, 2 of them were fullbacks, and Lallana was the 3rd

GirlySports
11-11-2016, 04:21 PM
Honduras lost at home to Panama to open the Hex. Awesome, #### those guys!

CroFlames
11-12-2016, 10:08 AM
So are Croatia fans just perma-banned?

That is such a cavernous stadium to begin it's actually cool to be able to hear exactly what all the players are saying. Bonus: I know Croatian haha.

Senator Clay Davis
11-12-2016, 12:01 PM
Huge win for Ireland to go top of the group.

GirlySports
11-12-2016, 12:03 PM
So are Croatia fans just perma-banned?

That is such a cavernous stadium to begin it's actually cool to be able to hear exactly what all the players are saying. Bonus: I know Croatian haha.

are they swearing? :)

Locke
11-12-2016, 12:46 PM

Well, they're Croatian so the answer is 'probably yes.'

devo22
11-15-2016, 02:07 PM
apparently Southgate has been offered the England job until 2020.

Really hoped Wenger would make the switch in the summer, but I can't say I'm shocked that the FA prefered to hire a boring yes-man like Southgate.

Locke
11-15-2016, 02:11 PM
apparently Southgate has been offered the England job until 2020.

Really hoped Wenger would make the switch in the summer, but I can't say I'm shocked that the FA prefered to hire a boring yes-man like Southgate.

He'll get results. Well...better results than Roy anyways. Not that thats a high bar.

devo22
11-15-2016, 02:14 PM
He'll get results. Well...better results than Roy anyways. Not that thats a high bar.
that is true. Really hoped they'd aim higher than "be better than Woy" though.

but credit where credit is due, they are up 2-0 against Spain right now. They really are the world champions of meaningless November friendlies ... member when they beat Germany last November and everybody was ecstatic for the Euros? Oh, I member!

On that note, great to see Ander Herrera get his first Spain cap today. Well deserved.

Locke
11-15-2016, 02:25 PM

but credit where credit is due, they are up 2-0 against Spain right now. They really are the world champions of meaningless November friendlies ... member when they beat Germany last November and everybody was ecstatic for the Euros? Oh, I member!

On that note, great to see Ander Herrera get his first Spain cap today. Well deserved.

Baby steps. England's record isnt simply a product of mismanagement.

devo22
11-15-2016, 05:37 PM
Gabor Kiraly a.k.a. Captain Sweatpants retired from international football today, after 108 matches for Hungary.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxVIrF8XgAAndwT.jpg:small

GirlySports
11-15-2016, 10:23 PM
well well

Costa Rica 4-0 USA

The USA starts off the hex with two losses. Do they fire Klinsmann?

Southgate better take that job fast!

Locke
11-15-2016, 11:20 PM
Gabor Kiraly a.k.a. Captain Sweatpants retired from international football today, after 108 matches for Hungary.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxVIrF8XgAAndwT.jpg:small

Shine on you crazy diamond!

If I'm Adidas I hire this guy as a sports apparel spokesman!

Locke
11-16-2016, 01:30 AM
So...I'm hearing that Gareth Southgate is going to be the lowest paid England manager since the 1990s because he is literally the only candidate, so the FA have no one else and Southgate has nowhere else to go...

Locke
11-16-2016, 01:38 PM
So the entire English National team went out and got blitzed and they have photos of Rooney just completely hammered.

Now the FA is 'Re-Evaluating Time off.'

Nice. I hope Rooney was drinking his wine out of a pint glass. Thats how the boss does it!

But in between those matches British tabloid The Sun alleged Rooney drunkenly gatecrashed a wedding at England's hotel in Watford, north of London, on Saturday.

An FA spokesperson said Wednesday: "All England personnel have a responsibility to behave appropriately at all times. We will be reviewing our policy around free time whilst on international duty."http://www.thescore.com/intfr/news/1156860-rooney-wedding-crash-incident-prompts-fa-review

And of course, front and centre:

Jose Mourinho has apparently slammed the Football Association for allowing Wayne Rooney to be, as The Sun's Jake Ryan and Amy Jones reported, "too drunk to stand" after partying in the early hours of Sunday morning while on England duty.http://www.thescore.com/news/1156782

Yeah Jose....its the FA's fault Rooney got blitzed...those heathen goons!

Locke
11-16-2016, 01:43 PM
And Rooney missed training the next day with a 'minor knee injury' but is now fine.

I'll have to remember that one.

nik-
11-16-2016, 01:45 PM
He went out and got smashed in his kit?

Rooney is a full kit wanker?

Senator Clay Davis
11-16-2016, 01:46 PM
He doesn't look that drunk

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxVlQXWWQAU8dMr.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxVpSdKXgAAy5ZK.jpg

d_phaneuf
11-16-2016, 02:22 PM

and he celebrated it by throwing some viscous elbows and should have been sent off

devo22
11-16-2016, 02:54 PM
don't worry, "tough guy" Eric Dier will see him soon.

on a serious note, that didn't look vicious at all (if that's what Dier is crying about, haven't seen anything else).

https://streamable.com/24h0

CroFlames
11-16-2016, 03:17 PM

Well, they're Croatian so the answer is 'probably yes.'

It was mostly IVAN!!!!! GET BACK!!!!! or BEHIND YOU!!!!!!! BEHIND YOU!!!!!!

Locke
11-17-2016, 08:36 AM
FA Bans Days Off.

Rather than setting an example to his international teammates, it seems England captain Wayne Rooney's behaviour has prompted the drawing out of stringent rules aimed to curb player indiscretions.

In the wake of Rooney's apology for appearing to be drunk in the early hours of Sunday morning during an agreed night off for the national team, the Football Association has called for an end to free evenings for England squad members for the foreseeable future, according to BBC Sport.http://www.thescore.com/intfr/news/1157560-report-fa-bans-nights-off-for-players-on-england-duty

Thanks Obama! Trump! Rooney!!

Senator Clay Davis
11-17-2016, 08:46 AM
All I can think is if Big Sam was still in charge that teams BAC would be higher than it's winning percentage.

Locke
11-17-2016, 08:53 AM
All I can think is if Big Sam was still in charge that teams BAC would be higher than it's winning percentage.

Pints of Wine for everyone!!

Locke
11-17-2016, 12:04 PM
Seriously though, the England job is such a Poison-Pill why would anyone with any other prospects even want it?

Honestly, they should go out and get the Iceland coach, if they could instill the Icelandic level of tactical discipline with some of the talent that England has to offer they could be a dangerous team again instead of a punchline.

And wasnt he like a full-time Barber or something? I'm sure they could scoop him up for a paltry salary like £1.5M a year or something.

Get a little Viking blood in there.

devo22
11-17-2016, 12:07 PM
And wasnt he like a full-time Barber or something?a dentist, but according to Wikipedia he's a full-time coach now after the Euros success.

Locke
11-17-2016, 12:08 PM
a dentist, but according to Wikipedia he's a full-time coach now after the Euros success.

Hes moving on up. Its an intriguing idea to go outside the box and hire someone who doesnt give half a rat's ass about the 'Big Names' and will just get a team playing like a team.

devo22
11-17-2016, 12:10 PM
absolutely. Way too much politics involved.

Locke
11-17-2016, 12:13 PM
absolutely. Way too much politics involved.

Theres too much politics and too much money. There is always so many other things surrounding the England squad that they practically have time or energy left over to actually play.

Bagor
11-18-2016, 10:37 AM
So the entire English National team went out and got blitzed and they have photos of Rooney just completely hammered.Can you just stop making stuff up?

GirlySports
11-18-2016, 12:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxZVxTsWIAAAo4j.jpg

devo22
11-20-2016, 02:25 PM
probably a 4 year contract for Southgate. Because, England.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/20/england-expect-to-offer-gareth-southgate-four-year-deal-as-perma/

cam_wmh
11-21-2016, 01:19 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxZVxTsWIAAAo4j.jpg

Looking like its Bruce Arena again.

CroFlames
11-21-2016, 08:49 AM
Canada should hire Klinsmann :bag:

devo22
11-21-2016, 01:19 PM
official.

ESPN FC ✔ @ESPNFC
BREAKING: U.S. Soccer has parted ways with Head Coach and Technical Director Jurgen Klinsmann.

Senator Clay Davis
11-21-2016, 01:39 PM
Big Sam as USA coach, obviously. They are in a quasi-relegation battle to try and qualify for the WC, and no one is better at avoiding relegation than Big Sam.

Locke
11-21-2016, 01:48 PM
Big Sam as USA coach, obviously. They are in a quasi-relegation battle to try and qualify for the WC, and no one is better at avoiding relegation than Big Sam.

Plus Americans have no problems with their coach drinking a pint of wine.

Senator Clay Davis
11-21-2016, 02:52 PM
So it sounds like it's pretty much a guarantee the US is bringing Arena back. 2 steps forward, 5 steps backward.

Locke
11-21-2016, 03:01 PM
So it sounds like it's pretty much a guarantee the US is bringing Arena back. 2 steps forward, 5 steps backward.

Why not Fabio Capello?

devo22
11-21-2016, 03:05 PM
why would they bring back Arena? Makes no sense at all.

Locke
11-21-2016, 03:07 PM
David Moyes might need work soon.

Senator Clay Davis
11-21-2016, 03:09 PM
I would think Arena is not the long term guy, they just want him to take over for the rest of the Hex and then maybe go another direction?

Slava
11-21-2016, 03:09 PM

Sunderland is rolling now!

devo22
11-21-2016, 03:11 PM
doubt it. They've won two in a row, which is kinda huge when your a ####ty club like Sunderland.

Senator Clay Davis
11-21-2016, 03:11 PM
Bilic might need some work soon if anyone.

Locke
11-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Roy Hodgson! Get it done!

Slava
11-21-2016, 03:13 PM
Bilic might need some work soon if anyone.

I like Bilic for some reason, but I would be so happy to see them relegated.

GirlySports
11-21-2016, 04:29 PM
Headline coming somewhere - "Das Booted"

nik-
11-21-2016, 04:43 PM
Alexi Lalas

Locke
11-22-2016, 11:33 AM

That was quick.

Locke
11-30-2016, 09:45 AM
No surprise, Gareth Southgate named England Boss.

Pints of wine all around!

Senator Clay Davis
12-07-2016, 11:16 AM
Remember expanding the World Cup to 48 teams? The alleged proposal is even worse than thought

A report from news agency AFP on Wednesday claimed Infantino would be looking at introducing a larger edition of the competition from 2026.

Infantino will submit his latest proposal at a FIFA Council meeting in Zurich on January 9-10.

Members of the Council have received a recommendation from the governing body setting out four proposed formats, including sticking to a 32-team World Cup. Another option is a 40-team version.

Within the 48-team proposal, the top two teams from each group would qualify for a knockout round featuring 32 nations.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4010264/FIFA-president-Gianni-Infantino-backs-48-team-World-Cup.html

Senator Clay Davis
01-10-2017, 07:46 AM
So a 48 team World Cup is approved unanimously by FIFA. Awful decision but everyone at FIFA makes more money so I suspect this is a test run for a future 64 team World Cup by say 2034. Maybe 96 by 2050. And Canada and Scotland still won't make the 96 team World Cup.

GirlySports
01-10-2017, 08:51 AM
it's only one extra game for england to lose and get knocked out before the group stage

Locke
01-10-2017, 10:34 AM
That is so stupid. Even the 32 team tournament is watered down. This is going to be brutal, but yeah, money, money, money.

GirlySports
01-10-2017, 10:45 AM
That is so stupid. Even the 32 team tournament is watered down. This is going to be brutal, but yeah, money, money, money.

it's to un-europepify the world cup.

at kid level (u20) only 5 out of the 24 teams are from Europe

Im still going to watch Saudi Arabia against Cape Verde in the 1st round.

Johnny199r
01-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Well, at Least Canada has a chance of playing in a World Cup now.

Cecil Terwilliger
01-10-2017, 01:20 PM
16 Groups of 3 teams. Teams will actually not play any extra games, even though the tournament overall will have more games played. Winning team will still play seven games and it'll be in the same length of time, 32 days, with same number of venues, 12.

Group stage will only be 2 games possibly with shootouts. Otherwise it could turn entry into the last 32 into a hilarious series of tiebreakers.

This sounds like a terrible idea.

GirlySports
01-10-2017, 01:28 PM
i don't like the idea of a 32-team knockout tournament. it'll become a park the bus foul fest

Senator Clay Davis
01-10-2017, 01:33 PM
What they are suggesting (penalties in group stage to prevent...collusion) will lead to by far the worst football we've ever seen. Teams now know 90 minutes of 10 in the box means at worst they have a 50/50 shot to get 3 points. Every expansion scenario means worse football, it's unavoidable. FIFA just wants money obviously. What I'm more curious about is if this kills single country hostings of the World Cup. Now you need to provide additional security and stadium infrastructure for 16 more teams. So it's even more expensive to host now too.

CroFlames
01-11-2017, 10:02 AM
I'm even annoyed the Euro is 24 teams. It used to feel like the hardest to qualify for, and most prestigious tournament in the world when it was just 16.

I suppose the expansion was always inevitable. Probably wont' hurt Thomas Muller's chances at passing Ronaldo and Klose in all time WC goals now when they get drawn with India and Vanuatu.

VladtheImpaler
01-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Well, we are inching to closer to that Canada-Russia rematch - it's been a long wait for me.

GirlySports
01-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Well, we are inching to closer to that Canada-Russia rematch - it's been a long wait for me.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FmmV-gbVgUw/V0xoy_VmUxI/AAAAAAAAdqE/mwq4CenyeUwQZxGIBgrMmILLcKo92TN-ACLcB/s320/ussr%2Bcanada.jpg

CroFlames
01-12-2017, 02:19 PM

Who would you be cheering for?

VladtheImpaler
01-12-2017, 02:26 PM
Who would you be cheering for?

I cheered for CCCP the first time, I guess it needs to actually happen, and we will see how I feel. :)

Locke
01-12-2017, 02:41 PM

How come the Russians never wear vintage retro jerseys?

GirlySports
01-12-2017, 02:46 PM
i dont think they're allowed too. there are specific rules for country names, flags and emblems on uniforms.

VladtheImpaler
01-12-2017, 02:47 PM
How come the Russians never wear vintage retro jerseys?

You woud think with Putin and the anthem and all, it's only a matter of time. I have my CCCP jersey ready to go.

Locke
01-12-2017, 02:54 PM
You woud think with Putin and the anthem and all, it's only a matter of time. I have my CCCP jersey ready to go.

cQKzesTq0Wo

VladtheImpaler
01-12-2017, 02:55 PM
That nicely captures the spirit of the thing.

GirlySports
01-18-2017, 08:53 AM
Maybe the NASL and MLS early days were not so crazy.
* Shootouts
* No Offsides
* Effective time clock to limit time wasting

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/fifa/243/post/3041132/fifa-mulls-nasl-style-shootouts-for-2026-world-cup-group-stage

Locke
03-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Oh Russia.....never change....

A radical idea of turning football hooliganism into a sport has been proposed by Russian politician Igor Lebedev.

The MP for the Liberal Democrat Party, who gained notoriety last year when he seemed to encourage Russian hooligans at Euro 2016, further stated that the event could attract as many spectators as a football match.

On his party's website, he said: "Russia could become a pioneer in a new kind of sport. Fans arrive and start picking fights -- the call is accepted at the meeting at the stadium ... on each side of 20 people, without arms.''

Lebedev, who is also a member of the Russian Football Union's executive committee, defended the clash between fans of Russia and England at last year's European Championship as "normal,'' adding: "I don't see anything wrong with the fans fighting.''

Russian hooligans last month warned England fans that they are "100 percent guaranteed'' to be targeted at the World Cup.http://www.espnfc.us/russia/story/3075734/russian-politician-igor-lebedev-wants-to-make-sport-of-hooligan-fighting

GirlySports
03-15-2017, 09:28 AM
U20 World Cup Draw Korea 2017

XC3TJ_QwDSc

polak
03-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Maybe the NASL and MLS early days were not so crazy.
* Shootouts
* No Offsides
* Effective time clock to limit time wasting

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/fifa/243/post/3041132/fifa-mulls-nasl-style-shootouts-for-2026-world-cup-group-stage

Ties suck.

Locke
03-15-2017, 11:12 AM
Wrong thread.

GirlySports
03-22-2017, 10:56 AM
Some projected lineups for Russia 2018

https://www.facebook.com/groups/497263527099244/?multi_permalinks=800818643410396&notif_t=group_highlights&notif_id=1490013898093470

SuperMatt18
03-22-2017, 12:35 PM
Some projected lineups for Russia 2018

https://www.facebook.com/groups/497263527099244/?multi_permalinks=800818643410396&notif_t=group_highlights&notif_id=1490013898093470

I feel like that is the wrong link.

M*A*S*H 4077
03-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Farewell Poldi! Always a favorite of mine, father time has caught up with him fairly quickly the past couple years

GirlySports
03-22-2017, 12:51 PM
Sorry

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/22/world-cup-russia-2018-frontrunners-argentina-brazil-germany-france

Locke
03-22-2017, 03:38 PM
It was nice of England to let Podolski have all the time in the world on that one.

He still looks world class!

devo22
03-22-2017, 04:26 PM
https://streamable.com/d8ft7

best way to end your international career. Also kind of glad that England lost - a win would have probably got the hype rolling again and that's not what they need.

Locke
03-22-2017, 04:31 PM
https://streamable.com/d8ft7

best way to end your international career. Also kind of glad that England lost - a win would have probably got the hype rolling again and that's not what they need.

Indeed.

Burton-on-Trent, United Kingdom, Nov 10, 2016 (AFP) - England must learn to be more streetwise but ward against arrogance, interim manager Gareth Southgate said ahead of Friday's World Cup qualifier against old enemies Scotland at Wembley.

Southgate said the difference between arrogance and confidence had come up during a squad meeting before the game, which is the third assignment of his four-match tenure.

Southgate said: "I think arrogance suggests you take the opposition for granted, that you can't be hurt or you can't lose. I think that is the difference."http://www.thescore.com/epl/news/1151576

Germany are chasing a first win over their old rivals on home soil since 1987 and need no reminding of the 5-1 mauling their team took in Munich in 2001, when Michael Owen hit a hat-trick.

"It's a huge honour to captain your country, I've done it three or four times now, one of those was when we won here in Germany which was a special night," said Cahill.http://www.thescore.com/wcquefa/news/1260558

That...was a Friendly.

CroFlames
03-24-2017, 10:56 AM
Man Poldi sure knew how to score goals for Germany. Finished his career with 49. Incredible.

devo22
03-24-2017, 07:15 PM
poor Seamus Coleman, that looked like a really nasty leg break. Taylor fouled him and his tibia/fibula just snapped. That's going to be a long spell on the sidelines ...

Bagor
03-24-2017, 09:21 PM
Disgraceful tackle and a result of a referee losing control of the game,

Just minutes earlier Bale should have walked when O'Shea was lucky to come out of a lunge from him with both pegs intact.

https://streamable.com/83llv

Anyone else that is a straight red.

Then later he avoids getting sent off a second time after kicking McLean in the stomach whilst on a yellow. Again, any other name on the back and he's gone.

Ref bottled it at a level Oliver would be proud off.

I hope Serbia hammer Wales back into obscurity. Have as much time and respect for them as Keane does for Mourinho.

Bagor
03-24-2017, 09:35 PM
(https://twitter.com/DietmarHamann)Didi Hamann @DietmarHamann (https://twitter.com/DietmarHamann) 5h5 hours ago (https://twitter.com/DietmarHamann/status/845400186579030017)
This is for all the morons trying to tell me that Bale went for the ball.Cowardly.
O'Shea can count his lucky stars.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7t18k4W0AAIiIm.jpg

Hamman was in fine form on this matter with this particular gem standing out.

(https://twitter.com/DietmarHamann)Didi Hamann @DietmarHamann (https://twitter.com/DietmarHamann) 4h4 hours ago (https://twitter.com/DietmarHamann/status/845424103351865345) I hope nobody throws a punch and you accidentally get your head in the way. Never heard bigger bollox, get some sleep my friend
Aiden Lewis‏ @aidenleighlewis (https://twitter.com/aidenleighlewis)
@DietmarHamann (https://twitter.com/DietmarHamann) Come on.He's slid from a few yards away.O'Sheas legs come in to his path while clearing the ball. You can't say that's intent

Magnum PEI
03-25-2017, 03:47 PM
Looking like the Netherlands will miss another tournament.

devo22
03-25-2017, 04:54 PM
that has to be it for Blind for sure.

devo22
03-26-2017, 10:47 AM
Jermain Defoe scores for England

http://images.memes.com/meme/1166172

Locke
03-26-2017, 10:48 AM
Had to be done.

I acknowledge that. Take your 'Thanks!'

Locke
03-26-2017, 10:50 AM
On another note....its halftime in Germany and they've got goals from....

Schurrle, Muller and Gomez. Three guys that cant score for their clubs.

Wheres Klose? Get Podolski in there!

devo22
03-26-2017, 11:36 AM
Schurrle, Muller and Gomez. Three guys that cant score for their clubs.
one of those is not like the others ... Gomez has scored in 3 BL games in a row and has 6 in his last 10. Saw a crazy stat a few days ago: Gomez has so far scored at least one goal in every single game with Andries Jonker as head coach. He had 8 goals in the 5 games where Jonker was at Bayern (after van Gaal was sacked) and now 3 goals in the first 3 games of Jonkers spell at Wolfsburg.

Locke
03-26-2017, 12:03 PM
one of those is not like the others ... Gomez has scored in 3 BL games in a row and has 6 in his last 10. Saw a crazy stat a few days ago: Gomez has so far scored at least one goal in every single game with Andries Jonker as head coach. He had 8 goals in the 5 games where Jonker was at Bayern (after van Gaal was sacked) and now 3 goals in the first 3 games of Jonkers spell at Wolfsburg.

Fair enough, I was not following Gomez all that closely.

devo22
03-26-2017, 02:12 PM
as expected.

Telegraph Football‏ @TeleFootball
Holland sack head coach Danny Blind following dire defeat to Bulgaria

Senator Clay Davis
03-26-2017, 02:20 PM
Van Gaal taking them for within a shootout of the World Cup final in 2014 is looking more and more like a borderline miracle. I imagine they'll be lobbing him a phone call.

Bagor
03-26-2017, 02:39 PM
Chris Martin scores in the 88th minute to save Strachan's job. Maybe.

nemanja2306
03-27-2017, 07:21 AM
Disgraceful tackle and a result of a referee losing control of the game,

Just minutes earlier Bale should have walked when O'Shea was lucky to come out of a lunge from him with both pegs intact.

https://streamable.com/83llv

Anyone else that is a straight red.

Then later he avoids getting sent off a second time after kicking McLean in the stomach whilst on a yellow. Again, any other name on the back and he's gone.

Ref bottled it at a level Oliver would be proud off.

I hope Serbia hammer Wales back into obscurity. Have as much time and respect for them as Keane does for Mourinho.
Well, we hammered them 6-1 in Serbia few years ago, and that's with Bale. Let's hope for a repeat. :)

Taylor is a dirty POS. That is a brutal tackle, hust horrible. Coleman's season is finished. He also hit Dusan Tadic with a dirty elbow in the last match against Serbia, broke his nose. And did anyone else see Ledley laughing while Coleman was on the ground? My respect for Wales is quickly going down.

polak
03-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Poland will win the World Cup in 2018

VladtheImpaler
03-27-2017, 01:23 PM

It's only been a German-Soviet cnspiracy that prevented it from happening to this point. Just ask their President (well, the "de facto" one).

Locke
03-27-2017, 01:54 PM

On Russian soil? Not a chance. No way Putin stands idly by and lets that happen.

VladtheImpaler
03-27-2017, 02:01 PM
On Russian soil? Not a chance. No way Putin stands idly by and lets that happen.

Though, perhaps as part of some sort of deal to leave NATO and partition Ukraine and Lithuania...

GirlySports
03-27-2017, 02:08 PM
as expected.

Telegraph Football‏ @TeleFootball
Holland sack head coach Danny Blind following dire defeat to Bulgaria

Was a short-sighted appointment to begin with

GirlySports
03-28-2017, 09:13 PM
Argentina in trouble. Lost 2-0 to Bolivia and sitting 5th. Messi served 1st game of a 4 game ban

devo22
03-29-2017, 05:04 PM
can't see the Netherlands getting back to form any time soon. In addition to the poor results, it seems they have problems behind the scenes too.

Holland captain Arjen Robben believes he and experienced team-mate Wesley Sneijder should be given a role in helping to find a replacement for former national team coach Danny Blind, who was sacked at the weekend.

'We have been in the team for the last 14 years and have told the KNVB (Dutch football association) that we want to be part of the process,' the Bayern Munich winger told reporters after a 2-1 friendly defeat by Italy in Amsterdam on Tuesday.

'We have built up the right experience with coaches over the years and we know what this squad needs and we think we also have a good idea who would fit in with the group.'

[...]

'I am the first point of contact between the association and the players. I have no plans to stop. That's why Wesley and I want to be involved in the process,' he told Dutch NOS television. 'I would have Van Gaal high on my list but it is too early to start mentioning specific names.'http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4360268/Arjen-Robben-demands-role-helping-Holland-new-boss.html

what the actual heck. Robben is a great player, but who does he think he is? Demanding involvement in the hiring of a new coach and throwing around names in the media ... that's some shocking "leadership" right there.

GirlySports
03-30-2017, 08:48 AM
9 months ago Iceland beat England at the Euros. Two days ago...

Mr Thorvaldsson said: "Set a record for the number of epidurals in the maternity duty this weekend.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/03/28/birth-record-iceland-hospital-nine-months-day-since-win-england/

GirlySports
03-31-2017, 09:00 AM
2026 48-team World Cup Allocation

Europe 16
Africa 9
Asia 8
S. America 6
Concacaf 6
Oceania 1
(the hosting confederation will lost 1 spot for each co-host)

6 team playoff for final 2 spots (top 2 ranked go to semifinals, remaining 4 play quaterfinals)
10th africa
9th asia
7th s. America
7th concacaf
2nd oceania
Next best from hosting confederation

So if for example USA-Canada-Mexico host 2026, they will all get a spot and the rest of CONCACAF will get 3 spots + 2 playoff spots.

polak
03-31-2017, 10:21 AM
Canada has to be in the top 7, right?

GirlySports
03-31-2017, 10:32 AM
Canada has to be in the top 7, right?

14th in the rankings.

Senator Clay Davis
03-31-2017, 10:32 AM
So South American teams currently occupy three of the top four spots in the FIFA rankings, but they'll have fewer teams than Asia or Africa and the same as North and Central America....but sure, the tournament won't become worse and significantly more diluted. UEFA and CONMEBOL should just start their own combined tournament and abandon FIFA, it's would probably be way more watched than the 48 team World Cup. We'd all much rather see it I'm sure.

GirlySports
03-31-2017, 10:36 AM
So South American teams currently occupy three of the top four spots in the FIFA rankings, but they'll have fewer teams than Asia or Africa and the same as North and Central America....but sure, the tournament won't become worse and significantly more diluted. UEFA and CONMEBOL should just start their own combined tournament and abandon FIFA, it's would probably be way more watched than the 48 team World Cup. We'd all much rather see it I'm sure.

We've had that. It's Called World Cup before 1982 for $100 Alex. CONMEBOL were and would again be totally screwed in such a tournament just by sheer numbers. And/or the tournament would become very violent.

Senator Clay Davis
03-31-2017, 10:40 AM
The violence would only add to the intrigue. But the 48 team World Cup is pretty much a handout to Africa and Asia which is pretty much what everyone figured it was when it was announced. Hooray for more negative football I guess.

GirlySports
03-31-2017, 10:55 AM
meh

nobody plays more negative football than Switzerland and Ukraine. I still want those 2 hours back.

I treat a 48 team world cup like extended qualifying. The 32 team bracket will be where it's at!

polak
03-31-2017, 02:24 PM
Yeah I don't really get the outrage. Just don't watch the early games that don't interest you?

Makes it more worthwhile for the hosts and Fifa (if they don't have to increase the number of venues).

Magnum PEI
04-03-2017, 08:38 PM

I think UEFA is getting screwed more. It should have 25 spots. Comnebol only has 10 teams and Venezuela is traditionally more of a baseball country while Peru and Bolivia typically arent very good. I think it should have seven spots plus a playoff.

I probably wont watch much of a 48 team World Cup, I find the sport increasingly corrupt and "eurotrash" for lack of a better word. I think this will spell the end of my soccer fandom.

Locke
04-04-2017, 09:02 AM
Anyone who was watching the revamped Euros knows exactly how badly this is going to water-down the tournament.

Even at its current 30-team level its a bit watered down and you typically have the usual suspects along with the occasional surprise, at 48 this is going to be a snoozer.

You're going to get teams 'pulling a Portugal' and just parking the bus for entire group stages, its going to be brutal.

d_phaneuf
04-04-2017, 11:08 AM
I dont get the complaints about this, it adds extra excitement for countries who never would have the opportunity, and it makes the tournament longer. If there's a game you dont want to watch, no one is forcing you

Locke
04-04-2017, 12:08 PM
I dont get the complaints about this, it adds extra excitement for countries who never would have the opportunity, and it makes the tournament longer. If there's a game you dont want to watch, no one is forcing you

Because its largely going to turn the World Cup into Women's Hockey and we're either going to see minnows getting absolutely slaughtered which is boring or we're going to see more parked buses than...the Calgary Transit yard after midnight.

Which is also boring.

Do you really want to see England vs Papua New Guinea?

I mean, granted, England would probably still lose, but if you add teams then you add games and you dilute the quality of frankly, an already fairly diluted tournament.

And you dont have to do anything other than point to the expanded Euros to see the proof.

GirlySports
04-04-2017, 01:43 PM
but the expanded euros has happened only once. Do you think the 6th installment of the expanded euros will lead to England not even qualifying?

As I mention in many threads. There needs to be a carrot. Papua New Guinea may never qualify for a World Cup but with 1 Oceania spot that's the carrot to try. and maybe one day they may not qualify but they can produce a star chasing that carrot.