PDA

View Full Version : 2016/2017 THE Premier League Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

GirlySports
06-15-2016, 05:18 PM
Perhaps its time for the 2016/2017 thread now that the schedule is out for next year?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3642412/Premier-League-fixtures-2016-17.html

Here we go. No more Barclays as THE Premier League goes sans-sponsor for the next two years

d_phaneuf
06-16-2016, 12:43 AM
new schedule got released

opening weekend with some great games, lots of dates will change within the weekend as Sky/BT pick their games and move to sunday/monday (and I think this year we start the 10 friday games too

Arsenal/Liverpool
West Ham/Chelsea
Spurs/Everton

d_phaneuf
06-16-2016, 12:44 AM
Liverpool with a tough start

@ Arsenal
vs Burnley
@ Spurs
vs Leicester
@ Chelsea

The Big Chill
06-16-2016, 12:17 PM
I think that Burnley game will be away too because of the Anfield construction. Will be a good test to start the season.

devo22
06-19-2016, 09:55 AM
David Ornstein ✔ @bbcsport_david
Vardy set to reject Arsenal & stay at Leicester. No final decision yet but favouring #LCFC. #AFC won't improve offer, pursuing other options

White Out 403
06-19-2016, 01:08 PM
Vardy set to reject Arsenal & stay at Leicester. No final decision yet but favouring #LCFC. #AFC won't improve offer, pursuing other options

I think Vardy is about to seal his statue outside the Leicester grounds. Deliver them a title and stay with the club. Wonderful.

devo22
06-20-2016, 01:04 PM
Victor Wanyama is about to join Tottenham for just £12m according to Sky. That's a ridiculous piece of business ... Levy must have some compromising pictures of Ralph Krueger or whoever is in charge of transfers at Southampton right now. No wonder Koeman wanted to move.

Meanwhile you see the first ridiculous reaction to the new TV deal. Leicester have been trying to sign Troy Deeney for a while, but Watford have again rejected the latest bid which was £25m according to Sky. Unbelievable stuff ... 25 million pounds doesn't even get you Troy ####ing Deeney! Might as well stop negotiating transfers with other EPL clubs and focus on buying foreign players if that's what the English market is going to look like ...

Slava
06-20-2016, 01:11 PM
Victor Wanyama is about to join Tottenham for just £12m according to Sky. That's a ridiculous piece of business ... Levy must have some compromising pictures of Ralph Krueger or whoever is in charge of transfers at Southampton right now. No wonder Koeman wanted to move.

Meanwhile you see the first ridiculous reaction to the new TV deal. Leicester have been trying to sign Troy Deeney for a while, but Watford have again rejected the latest bid which was £25m according to Sky. Unbelievable stuff ... 25 million pounds doesn't even get you Troy ####ing Deeney! Might as well stop negotiating transfers with other EPL clubs and focus on buying foreign players if that's what the English market is going to look like ...

Yeah I like that Wanyama deal. He's a good back-up for Spurs and the price is right. I can't see that 25mm being worth it for Deeney and I like that guy. That just seems crazy for a 30 year old.

d_phaneuf
06-20-2016, 01:39 PM
ya 12m and can rotate with Dier and Dembele, or even play 3 CMs away in Europe pr to the bigger squads

im not a huge fan of Wanyama but as a squad player hes great

SuperMatt18
06-20-2016, 03:07 PM
Which poster was it that was adamant that Wanyama was the best midfielder in the Premier League.

devo22
06-20-2016, 04:54 PM
Which poster was it that was adamant that Wanyama was the best midfielder in the Premier League.
haha that was Fusebox. Didn't last too long on the forum :D

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=4371208

also argued that Scott Parker was better than Michael Carrick. Good times. Even moon blasted the guy :D

cam_wmh
06-20-2016, 11:04 PM
Man that guy was a stunned, be seeing you the Tuesday of the week next.

devo22
06-23-2016, 05:32 AM
has now signed a new 4 year contract at Leicester.

Senator Clay Davis
06-23-2016, 08:54 AM
As long as the money was close it always made more sense to stay with Leicester. Arsenal play such a different style that while he's a good scorer, he probably has a lot fewer chances because of how Arsenal play. Plus now he probably gets a statue outside the stadium in Leicester.

Locke
06-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Dammit, looks like City are gearing up to buy Leroy Sane. That will likely be a good bit of business. I wish Low would play him for Germany.

devo22
06-23-2016, 01:03 PM
Dammit, looks like City are gearing up to buy Leroy Sane. That will likely be a good bit of business. I wish Low would play him for Germany.
given that Schalke have now bought Breel Embolo for around €27m, I think it's only a matter of time before Sane to City is done. That one really sucks.

Senator Clay Davis
06-23-2016, 01:04 PM
There's a German guy named Leroy? How has he not been made captain of Germany?

devo22
06-23-2016, 01:05 PM
meanwhile, Henrikh Mkhitaryan to United edges closer. Bild say United have made a bid of €36m, but Dortmund want €40m. Should be sorted soon enough.

devo22
06-24-2016, 06:41 AM
Brexit is going to have a big effect on the PL as well. Lots of players from Spain, France etc. who are currently playing in the PL probably wouldn't even get a work permit, since it's normally only granted if you're an established player who has played in over 30 percent of your national teams games in the last two years. In any case, buying young EU talents should be impossible now.

Slava
06-24-2016, 08:22 AM
Brexit is going to have a big effect on the PL as well. Lots of players from Spain, France etc. who are currently playing in the PL probably wouldn't even get a work permit, since it's normally only granted if you're an established player who has played in over 30 percent of your national teams games in the last two years. In any case, buying young EU talents should be impossible now.

That's really interesting actually. Any links on that or has anything been written going through this?

Senator Clay Davis
06-24-2016, 08:31 AM
I'd be curious if we see players outside England demand to be paid in Euros and not Pounds considering the instability it will be experiencing for the next few years. I've also seen some fun theories players could get deported, but sports is big money so I doubt that it actually comes to that.

cam_wmh
06-24-2016, 09:36 AM
meanwhile, Henrikh Mkhitaryan to United edges closer. Bild say United have made a bid of €36m, but Dortmund want €40m. Should be sorted soon enough.

What kind of midfielder is he? #10? Box to Box?

devo22
06-24-2016, 09:46 AM
What kind of midfielder is he? #10? Box to Box?
he's best as a right winger or a #10. Definitely not a box to box.

rubecube
06-24-2016, 12:32 PM

It's going to be hilarious in 10 years when there is a massive shortage non-English players in the PL and they coefficient their way down to two teams in the CL.

Locke
06-24-2016, 12:46 PM
It's going to be hilarious in 10 years when there is a massive shortage non-English players in the PL and they coefficient their way down to two teams in the CL.

And as much as its the UK leaving, looking at the distribution of the vote you can really blame this on the English.

The Scots, Irish and Welsh were sensible about this, its the plucky Englishman that let everyone down on this one.

The English just cut off their nose to spite their face for Queen and Country.

rubecube
06-24-2016, 12:49 PM
And as much as its the UK leaving, looking at the distribution of the vote you can really blame this on the English.

The Scots, Irish and Welsh were sensible about this, its the plucky Englishman that let everyone down on this one.

The English just cut off their nose to spite their face for Queen and Country.

Bloody English. They ruined England!

Locke
06-24-2016, 02:04 PM
Looks as though Liverpool are no longer interested in Gotze, which is no surprise as his form has not been good of late.

But Liverpool have apparently agreed to a deal on Sadio Mane from Southampton? I dont know anything about him though.

Locke
06-24-2016, 02:06 PM
Spain goalkeeper David De Gea is not on the same level as Italy's Gianluigi Buffon, according to Matteo Darmian.http://www.espnfc.us/european-championship/story/2901047/david-de-gea-not-on-same-level-as-gianluigi-buffon-matteo-darmian

Well yeah, thats not exactly a damning conviction even from a teammate.

I consider Manuel Neuer to be the best goalkeeper in the world at the moment and he isnt 'on the level' of Buffon. That man has been a legend for decades, people need to give Buffon more credit.

Senator Clay Davis
06-24-2016, 02:10 PM
Looks as though Liverpool are no longer interested in Gotze, which is no surprise as his form has not been good of late.

But Liverpool have apparently agreed to a deal on Sadio Mane from Southampton? I dont know anything about him though.

Surely you remember the fastest hat-trick in Premier League history right?

y4OyrC4FYts

Locke
06-24-2016, 02:13 PM
Surely you remember the fastest hat-trick in Premier League history right?

y4OyrC4FYts

Alright! Sweet! In fairness though, it was against Aston Villa.

Senator Clay Davis
06-24-2016, 02:16 PM
United were hot after him last year if I remember. Nice player, still pretty young so could be a decent signing. Certainly a good signing if it's only £30m since apparently £25m can't get you Troy Deeney.

Locke
06-24-2016, 02:17 PM
United were hot after him last year if I remember. Nice player, still pretty young so could be a decent signing. Certainly a good signing if it's only £30m since apparently £25m can't get you Troy Deeney.

Who the hell is Troy Deeney? And why the hell is he worth that if I havent heard of him? Am I that out of touch? No...its the children who are wrong!

Senator Clay Davis
06-24-2016, 02:27 PM
Watford apparently think being north of London means you should act like the North London clubs.

devo22
06-24-2016, 03:04 PM
the thing is: they simply don't need the money. Thanks to the new TV deal, the times were smaller clubs HAVE TO sell are gone. I don't think they value Deeney higher than 25m, they probably just don't want to sell him at all and even higher bids will probably not change that.

devo22
06-26-2016, 01:50 PM
Raphael Honigstein ✔ @honigstein
Dortmund have sent an official to Manchester, Mkhitaryan deal nearly done

so that one should be done and dusted in a couple of days, fee is going to be around €38m. In addition, Ibrahimovic is expected to sign on Friday, once he's collected his bonus money from PSG on June 30. Raiola must be in love with United by now, since they're signing two of his biggest clients ... now if he could just send back Pogba instead of shipping him to Madrid, that'd be great :D

but honestly, getting Ibrahimovic, Mkhitaryan and Bailly has been a nice start, and it's not even July yet. Two full months left for additional business.

cam_wmh
06-26-2016, 09:32 PM
Sell Darmian. He said Buffon is better than De Gea.

dash_pinched
06-28-2016, 08:58 AM
Sadio Mane to Liverpool now official (£34m transfer)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36642523

SuperMatt18
06-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Sell Darmian. He said Buffon is better than De Gea.

Italy 2 - Spain 0

Kind of right in that way I guess.

Locke
06-28-2016, 11:57 AM
Sadio Mane to Liverpool now official (£34m transfer)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36642523

Thats a lot of money...

devo22
06-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Thats a lot of money...
also a great player, although inconsistent. Plus Southampton remains your transfer bitch.

Locke
06-28-2016, 12:31 PM
also a great player, although inconsistent. Plus Southampton remains your transfer bitch.

Everyone needs a farm team.

devo22
06-28-2016, 12:32 PM
Everyone needs a farm team.
but your farm team finished higher in the standings than you did.

Locke
06-28-2016, 12:33 PM
but your farm team finished higher in the standings than you did.

Thats why we're taking all their players.

Bagor
06-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Maybe. Maybe not.

Sometimes I wonder about the English talent that never gets a break because teams would rather spend 10M on an average foreign player.

devo22
06-28-2016, 04:49 PM
Marseille striker Micky Batshuayi goes to Chelsea for €40m, according to various reports in France.

Slava
06-29-2016, 06:45 AM
Marseille striker Micky Batshuayi goes to Chelsea for €40m, according to various reports in France.

Yeah I read that yesterday and thought it was fake. West Ham had apparently offered 38mm and that was rejected because he wants to play CL. So instead he goes to a team even further down the table? Makes sense.

I understand that everyone assumes Chelsea is right back in to the top of the table and right back to CL, but that seems a little presumptuous.

SuperMatt18
06-29-2016, 08:32 AM
Yeah I read that yesterday and thought it was fake. West Ham had apparently offered 38mm and that was rejected because he wants to play CL. So instead he goes to a team even further down the table? Makes sense.

I understand that everyone assumes Chelsea is right back in to the top of the table and right back to CL, but that seems a little presumptuous.

Antonio Conte says they will be back in Champions League

http://67.media.tumblr.com/99bb4b11f27653825a36c970d933ad9f/tumblr_o9fyrfednG1vvwgg7o1_500.gif

Senator Clay Davis
06-29-2016, 08:37 AM
Chelsea also played closer to a Champions League level last year if you take out the disastrous start under Mourinho. It'd be surprising if they aren't back in the mix this year.

Slava
06-29-2016, 09:40 AM
So who drops from the top 4? Leicester seems like they over-performed. I think City and Spurs will be in there. United is going to push hard, and there is always an outside chance for Liverpool, West Ham and a few clubs in that realm. Sure, we'd all like to see Woolwich get relegated, but that spot doesn't automatically go to Chelsea even in that glorious event!

Regardless though, it seems a little weird that a guy who was effectively rejecting anywhere other than Juventus or Tottenham a couple days ago specifically for CL would now go to Chelsea. Of course stranger things have happened though.

cam_wmh
06-29-2016, 09:46 AM
Spurs'll Spurs.

Senator Clay Davis
06-29-2016, 10:10 AM
As of now I'd say there's realistically 8 teams that will be fighting for the 4 CL spots. West Ham and Leicester will obviously depend on what happens with players going out. But if Payet, Kante and Mahrez all return to their teams it's going to be a pretty crazy race for those spots. Plus who knows if we get another club making a Leicester type run.

cam_wmh
06-29-2016, 12:18 PM
As of now I'd say there's realistically 8 teams that will be fighting for the 4 CL spots. West Ham and Leicester will obviously depend on what happens with players going out. But if Payet, Kante and Mahrez all return to their teams it's going to be a pretty crazy race for those spots. Plus who knows if we get another club making a Leicester type run.

I know. It's exceptionally rare, to the point of not considering, especially two years consecutive.

rubecube
06-29-2016, 03:09 PM
Regardless though, it seems a little weird that a guy who was effectively rejecting anywhere other than Juventus or Tottenham a couple days ago specifically for CL would now go to Chelsea. Of course stranger things have happened though.

Not strange at all. It's called wanting to get paid. I guarantee Chelsea offered a higher weekly wage than what either Spurs or Juventus offered.

VladtheImpaler
06-29-2016, 06:33 PM
So who drops from the top 4? Leicester seems like they over-performed. I think City and Spurs will be in there. United is going to push hard, and there is always an outside chance for Liverpool, West Ham and a few clubs in that realm. Sure, we'd all like to see Woolwich get relegated, but that spot doesn't automatically go to Chelsea even in that glorious event!

Come now, Slava - like you don't what's going to happen. The Spurs blew their chance this season and will settle comfortably into 6th or 7th next season.:)

Slava
06-29-2016, 10:37 PM
Not strange at all. It's called wanting to get paid. I guarantee Chelsea offered a higher weekly wage than what either Spurs or Juventus offered.

I think its $150k/week. Crazy money.

Come now, Slava - like you don't what's going to happen. The Spurs blew their chance this season and will settle comfortably into 6th or 7th next season.:)

Or they win CL and the league!

devo22
06-30-2016, 09:21 AM
worst kept secret ever.

Zlatan Ibrahimović ‏@Ibra_official
Time to let the world know. My next destination is @ManUtd

devo22
06-30-2016, 11:20 AM
Gianluca Di Marzio ✔ @DiMarzio
And also #Miktharian to @ManUtd from @BVB is done: he has just found the house to live in #Manchester #MUFC

Martial - Ibrahimovic - Mkhitaryan up front, plus Rashford to rotate in and out ... bloody awesome. Too bad they have to cater to Rooney too ...

devo22
06-30-2016, 12:25 PM
ha oh wow, you can already buy Mkhitaryan shirts on Uniteds webstore. Somebody's going to get fired.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmN9p5PUkAADnMF.jpg:small

devo22
07-01-2016, 11:12 AM
http://www.manutd.com/~/media/19F24579B6FF4FC9A4428A6DE094B8EE.ashx?w=600&h=600

Locke
07-01-2016, 11:41 AM
No way! I never saw that coming!

GirlySports
07-01-2016, 11:56 AM
Gianluca Di Marzio ✔ @DiMarzio
And also #Miktharian to @ManUtd from @BVB is done: he has just found the house to live in #Manchester #MUFC

Martial - Ibrahimovic - Mkhitaryan up front, plus Rashford to rotate in and out ... bloody awesome. Too bad they have to cater to Rooney too ...

which means Rashford will get loaned out.

devo22
07-01-2016, 12:48 PM
which means Rashford will get loaned out.
no chance. Rooney is going to play behind those front 3. Rashford is the prime backup up front to rotate in and out. He'll get plenty of minutes.

With all the money Everton is getting from their new owner, they should invested a few bucks in their graphics/social media department. What the hell is that?!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmS5AN8WEAAgAEc.jpg:small

Locke
07-01-2016, 12:56 PM
Just got the update that Crystal Palace have offered Liverpool £25M for Benteke.

Take it! Take it and run!

d_phaneuf
07-01-2016, 10:55 PM
Vincent Janssen says AZ are blocking his transfer to Spurs

Dutch Telegraph says Spurs are offering 15m and they want closer to 20

I hope they sign him, would rather him than Saido as Kane backup and Batman's price to Chelsea was insane

Locke
07-02-2016, 12:01 AM
Liverpool have rejected a £25 million bid for Christian Benteke from Crystal Palace.

Sources tell Press Association Sport that the club are looking to recoup most of the £32.5m they paid for the Belgium international just less than 12 months ago.

The Reds are looking for £30m plus add-ons for the 25-year-old, who has failed to impress manager Jurgen Klopp.http://www.espnfc.us/liverpool/story/2906196/liverpool-reject-25m-christian-benteke-bid-from-crystal-palace-report

http://i.imgur.com/BXOKI2m.jpg

d_phaneuf
07-02-2016, 12:22 AM
I mean, maybe try it once??? see if Palace bite?

Benteke a good player just a horrible fit for Klopps system, he needs a team that's going to just pound balls in to the box on crosses

Slava
07-02-2016, 08:29 AM
Vincent Janssen says AZ are blocking his transfer to Spurs

Dutch Telegraph says Spurs are offering 15m and they want closer to 20

I hope they sign him, would rather him than Saido as Kane backup and Batman's price to Chelsea was insane

Apparently its Billy Beane who is the cause of the hold up. I know they made the movie but remind me of what the A's won under this program again?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/07/01/tottenham-bid-to-sign-az-alkmaar-striker-vincent-janssen-held-up/

devo22
07-02-2016, 09:18 AM
http://www.espnfc.us/liverpool/story/2906196/liverpool-reject-25m-christian-benteke-bid-from-crystal-palace-report

http://i.imgur.com/BXOKI2m.jpg
why accept their first bid though? Let them pay. Palace have just got £10m for Dwight friggin Gayle and have nobody up front except for 5 goal Connor Wickham. They need somebody like Benteke and I'm sure he'd do really well there. They'll pay.

Janssen would be a really good pickup for the Spurs, even at 20m. Good young striker and solid Kane alternative. Getting guys like him and Wanyama really helps their depth, and they'll need that for the Champions League.

Hans-Joachim Watzke has confirmed today that they have accepted Uniteds bid for Henrikh Mkhitaryan. Conflicting reports regarding the fee, I have read everything between £26m and £35m. In any case, good addition but pretty steep for a guy with one year left on his contract.

cam_wmh
07-02-2016, 09:26 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/01/15/35DBAACF00000578-0-image-a-34_1467383922405.jpg

devo22
07-05-2016, 09:12 AM
thought Mourinhos first presser was pretty good. He's an arrogant jerk, but I prefer that to LVG and his philosophies for sure. Thought he handled the questions which could have led to big headlines (Guardiola, Rooney, Giggs) pretty well. Spoke about having identified four priority signings, three of which have already been completed (Bailly, Ibrahimovic, Mkhitaryan). They obviously hope that Pogba will be the fourth, but I doubt it can be done. Certainly going to be a midfielder though.

cam_wmh
07-05-2016, 10:59 AM
nm

devo22
07-05-2016, 11:37 AM
reports in France say that actually Blaise Matuidi is probably going to be the fourth one. Much more realistic target than Pogba, would be a good signing.

Now if we could shoot Fellaini into the sun, that'd be great.

Locke
07-05-2016, 11:41 AM
reports in France say that actually Blaise Matuidi is probably going to be the fourth one. Much more realistic target than Pogba, would be a good signing.

No, no, no! Its all about re-distributing Fellaini's position within the organization.

http://i.imgur.com/J7zViRD.jpg

I for one think he'd make a great mascot. Up until he starts elbowing children in the face. He cant help it, its in his DNA.

cam_wmh
07-05-2016, 01:16 PM

---------- Ibrahimovic
----------- Rooney
---- Martial ------ Mkhitaryan
------- Schwein -- P***a
Shaw - Smalling - Bailly - Valencia
------------ De Gea
Diamond allows the team to play a Mourinho defensive system, with a strong middle. Shaw & Valencia will provide the overlapping width.

Rashford can sub in for either Rooney or Ibby.

Locke
07-05-2016, 01:28 PM
---------- Ibrahimovic
----------- Rooney
------- Schwein -- P***a
------------ De Gea
Diamond allows the team to play a Mourinho defensive system, with a strong middle. Shaw & Valencia will provide the overlapping width.

Sorry, who is this?

Senator Clay Davis
07-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Mourinho's leash is pretty short I would imagine. If at the end of year two (or even year one in an extreme case) he isn't in Champions League, he's probably fired just like Van Gaal and Moyes. Glazers actually don't care about the Champions League from a doing well perspective, they care about the money. That's gotta suck for the fans, the mandate of the coach is to ensure the money rolls in. And trust me I know better than most, I cheer for the other Glazer owned sports franchise. Glazers are horrible owners.

devo22
07-05-2016, 01:34 PM
---------- Ibrahimovic
----------- Rooney
------- Schwein -- P***a
------------ De Gea

I love the lineups that have Schweinsteiger as a starter. I mean, it's a nice idea, but what about the 27 games where he's injured?

-------------------Ibrahimovic
--------------------(Rashford)
--Martial------------------------------Mkhitaryan
(Memphis)---------Rooney------------(Lingard)
--------------------(Herrera)
--------Schneiderlin----------Matuidi
----------(Carrick)-------(Schweinsteiger)

--Shaw-------Smalling------Bailly-------Valencia
(Borthwick)---(Rojo)------(Jones)------(Darmian)

----------------------De Gea
---------------------(Romero)

with Mata, Blind and Fellaini probably those who are sold.

cam_wmh
07-05-2016, 01:54 PM
I meant schneid! Lol
Such similar spellings

The Big Chill
07-05-2016, 03:16 PM
Do you guys think Ibra will be starting? I was thinking it might be likely to see him coming from the bench

devo22
07-05-2016, 03:20 PM
I think so, yes. Not in every game, but in the important ones for sure. Mourinho said today that he thinks that Ibrahimovic and Rashford complement each other really well in terms of what they bring (experience vs youth). They'll probably share the minutes up front, with Ibrahimovic getting the nod in the big PL games and Rashford in the EL.

The Big Chill
07-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Ibra is a great striker, but he will likely be a bit of a statue out there at this point in his career. He'll need a lot of runners around him to make it work. If he's starting I would think having Martial and Depay on his flanks with Mikhtaryan in behind looks much more dangerous. Of course that relies on the continued development of Martial and Depay though.

devo22
07-05-2016, 03:56 PM
well that would mean no Rooney, and we all know that's a huge no-go.

I'd agree in general though, need a lot of pace around Ibrahimovic to make it work. Martial and Mkhitaryan both are very fast, and the full-backs will provide additional power. Also those front three aren't exactly known for the defensive efforts, so I think you need a couple workhorses in midfield. Schneiderlin and Matuidi have played together for France before Kante emerged and it worked pretty well, so if they sign Matuidi, I'd be all for this pairing behind Rooney.

devo22
07-06-2016, 04:38 PM
sooooo it seems United's really going all in for Pogba.

In the meantime, Manchester United's interest in him remains high. Manchester United are ready to make an important offer for Pogba: 120 million euros, which Raiola will present to Juventus at the end of the tournament.

Juventus consider Pogba very important, we now have to see how they will react to such an offer. Manchester United already have an agreement in principle with the player: 13 million euros per season net of taxes.http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/eng/manchester-united-ready-to-make-offer-for-pogba-agreement-in-principle-reached-with-the-player-the-figures/

absolutely crazy numbers. Di Marzio is reliable as it gets (I think of him as the Bob McKenzie of European football), so we'll see ... I'm sure Juventus won't want to sell unless the player kicks up a fuss, which is when Raiola comes into play. Still think it's extremely unlikely that this is going to happen, but with Raiola in the corner and Pogba apparently up for the move, who knows.

Slava
07-06-2016, 06:57 PM
^ Wow, 120mm is an insane amount of money! So if that works then what have they spent during this window? Must be nearing 200?

d_phaneuf
07-07-2016, 02:30 AM
Ibra is in insane shape, don't think he's a statue at all in terms of fitness, his pace like you guys saying is lacking though

the pace of the PL is going to be a bit different from Ligue 1 so I don't think he starts every game, and depending on fixture congestion he probably doesn't play 90 minutes in a Europa league match until the KO rounds

But I can see him starting 30ish games in the league and another 10-15 combined in cups

nemanja2306
07-07-2016, 03:22 AM

Fellaini for Wideman? :whistle:

Senator Clay Davis
07-07-2016, 04:47 AM
Pogba's first choice is Real so if he goes to United just because they offer more, I'd be worried that's gonna be Di Maria all over again. Some Chinese team should offer him $2 million a week though just for fun.

Addick
07-07-2016, 08:16 AM
How can purchasing clubs agree to terms with players before selling clubs agree to a fee or give their consent? Consent may be given in certain cases but it seems like a good share of transfer rumours have the negotiations taking place backwards.

devo22
07-07-2016, 08:25 AM
^ Wow, 120mm is an insane amount of money! So if that works then what have they spent during this window? Must be nearing 200?around 185-190 I believe. Ibra was free, Mkhitaryan cost around €30-35m and Bailly €32m plus bonuses. But they'll surely sell a few players too and that should get the net sum down considerably.

Pogba's first choice is Real so if he goes to United just because they offer more, I'd be worried that's gonna be Di Maria all over again.my fear too. But if he stays for 2-3 years and then goes to Real for even more money, I think United still pull the trigger.

How can purchasing clubs agree to terms with players before selling clubs agree to a fee or give their consent? Consent may be given in certain cases but it seems like a good share of transfer rumours have the negotiations taking place backwards.
officially you agree a fee first, yes. But it makes no sense to negotiate a fee only to find out afterwards that the player doesn't even want the move. So realistically, you gauge the player's interest beforehand through the agents. So you agree rough numbers with the agent, let the clubs agree a fee and then hammer out the details with the player.

Locke
07-07-2016, 08:45 AM
around 185-190 I believe. Ibra was free, Mkhitaryan cost around €30-35m and Bailly €32m plus bonuses. But they'll surely sell a few players too and that should get the net sum down considerably.

Pfft...who do you have to sell thats worth anything? Fellaini??

In other news looks like Liverpool sold Ibe for £15M to Bournemouth which I'm not too happy about, I think he still has potential, and Skrtel looks to be on his way to Fener, no idea on numbers yet. Its time to move on from him if Sakho can get off the banned drugs.

devo22
07-07-2016, 09:04 AM
he comes with hair! And elbows! He's worth a lot!

No realistically, Mata will bring in the most cash. Blind too, if they really sell him.

by the way Locke, Crystal Palace have upped their Benteke offer to £27m plus £4m in bonuses. Told you so ;)

Locke
07-07-2016, 09:06 AM
he comes with hair! And elbows! He's worth a lot!

No realistically, Mata will bring in the most cash. Blind too, if they really sell him.

by the way Locke, Crystal Palace have upped their Benteke offer to £27m plus £4m in bonuses. Told you so ;)

Hair and elbows? Thats a deal so neat it cant be beat!

Mata is good, Herrera might net you some cash, I still think hes a good player and Blind could be on the block if United are actually scouring the earth for every CB in the land.

And yes...you did tell me so about Benteke, you were right on that one except I have no faith that hes going to hit any bonuses.

GirlySports
07-07-2016, 09:07 AM
ashley young worth anything?

devo22
07-07-2016, 09:09 AM
I really hope they don't sell Herrera. Still think he's a really good player, just has to be used correctly ...

... same goes for Ashley Young. Was a beast under Ferguson in his first season. Still think he's a useful squad player.

Addick
07-07-2016, 09:12 AM
officially you agree a fee first, yes. But it makes no sense to negotiate a fee only to find out afterwards that the player doesn't even want the move. So realistically, you gauge the player's interest beforehand through the agents. So you agree rough numbers with the agent, let the clubs agree a fee and then hammer out the details with the player.

Although it makes sense for the purchasing club, it undermines contract law. Selling clubs are in a position where they have to 'deal with' this loophole but purchasing clubs are the ones that should have to 'deal with' the length of time it takes to do things according to the binding and agreed procedures. Also, #### agents.

devo22
07-07-2016, 09:17 AM
Although it makes sense for the purchasing club, it undermines contract law. Selling clubs are in a position where they have to 'deal with' this loophole but purchasing clubs are the ones that should have to 'deal with' the length of time it takes to do things according to the binding and agreed procedures. Also, #### agents.
100 per cent agree. I remember United filed a complaint with FIFA a few months before the Ronaldo transfer because Real Madrid simply wouldn't stop trying. Of course FIFA did nothing about it, so since then, I've resigned to the fact that everybody does it. It's ####ty and yes, #### agents, but the transfer market has been like that for a while.

Addick
07-07-2016, 10:40 AM
Of course FIFA did nothing about it, so since then, I've resigned to the fact that everybody does it. It's ####ty and yes, #### agents, but the transfer market has been like that for a while.

Yup, I cringe every time I read an article about Arsenal possibly doing it.

Slava
07-07-2016, 01:01 PM
Spurs have signed Vincent Janssen according to a number of reports. He should provide cover for Kane and should be a good addition. Not as sexy as some of the other names, but a good young striker who hopefully pans out.

devo22
07-07-2016, 01:19 PM
Middlesbrough is going to be an interesting team. They signed Victor Valdes today, they are about to sign Neven Subotic from Dortmund and have already brought in two interesting players in Viktor Fischer and Marten de Roon. Now they apparently are in talks with Robin van Persie.

rubecube
07-07-2016, 05:29 PM
The FIFA 17 cover choices are...uh...interesting. James, Hazard, Martial, and Reus. Martial and Reus I guess I can see, but Hazard and James?

https://www.easports.com/fifa/cover-vote?utm_campaign=fifa17_hd_ca_eam_socv_fb_c1b-covervote-19s&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&cid=8913&ts=1467933974253

Slava
07-08-2016, 06:46 PM
This seems unlikely, and I'm mainly posting this for Locke's benefit, but Spurs have apparently been inquiring about Mario Gotze. He would apparently choose between Spurs and Dortmund.

The article says he would choose Tottenham if he were to come to England based on them being into the CL despite the connections with Klopp. Who knows how likely this is, but it would be a great signing for Spurs.

http://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2016/7/9/12133140/mario-gotze-transfer-news-rumors-tottenham-liverpool-borussia-dortmund

devo22
07-08-2016, 06:54 PM
might as well burn the cash instead. Götze is useless these days.

Slava
07-08-2016, 06:58 PM
Oh really? I don't really watch much Bundesliga so I couldn't say specifically.

devo22
07-08-2016, 07:02 PM
yeah ... and it's a shame really, he was an outstanding talent at Dortmund. Injuries have been a big problem (which would IMO be a problem in the PL since it's a more physical league) and he hasn't always kept himself in the best shape either. In hindsight, the Bayern transfer was a horrible idea ... was never able to live up to the expectations and has been a bench player for a while. Bayern have been trying to sell him (last contract year is coming up and he's not in Ancelottis plans). He's really fallen from grace in Germany quickly ... they expected him to become a real superstar, but in the end, he has had very, very, very little impact at Bayern.

Slava
07-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Yeah I knew he wasn't really fitting in and would have to battle hard to get a spot there, but he's still only 24 so I figured he wasn't totally washed up. If he is, he'd be a better fit for Liverpool though.

d_phaneuf
07-08-2016, 07:32 PM
the report is out of BILD too who are usually very accurate

I think with his age and talent it's worth it, there's plenty of young players who haven't done well at a massive club only to move on and find their talent

Locke
07-09-2016, 01:04 PM
yeah ... and it's a shame really, he was an outstanding talent at Dortmund. Injuries have been a big problem (which would IMO be a problem in the PL since it's a more physical league) and he hasn't always kept himself in the best shape either. In hindsight, the Bayern transfer was a horrible idea ... was never able to live up to the expectations and has been a bench player for a while. Bayern have been trying to sell him (last contract year is coming up and he's not in Ancelottis plans). He's really fallen from grace in Germany quickly ... they expected him to become a real superstar, but in the end, he has had very, very, very little impact at Bayern.

Bayern have basically told him that hes extraneous to requirements for next season and that if a club come for him he will be sold.

Before the Euros he stated that he was going to stay at Bayern for the last year of his contract and then move, but I believe that the team have been trying to move him.

the report is out of BILD too who are usually very accurate

I think with his age and talent it's worth it, there's plenty of young players who haven't done well at a massive club only to move on and find their talent

Pretty much what I'm holding out hope for, but hes really fallen a long way down.

devo22
07-09-2016, 02:40 PM
there have even been rumours in Germany that Bayern put pressure on Götze by telling him that they wouldn't register him for the CL next season if he decided to stay. Rummenigge has denied this obviously, but it shows how quickly he has fallen from grace. At this point, I'm sure his confidence is shot. He's a reclamation project that could still return to former glory, but I just can't see him excel in the Premier League. His injury record is bad enough in Germany ...

-------------------------------------------------

Mourinhos mouthpiece Duncan Castles in the Times - it seems Raiola would get quite a bit of money if he sealed Pogbas return to United. No wonder he's been pushing for it while getting cozy with United all summer.

https://abload.de/img/pogbafjs24.jpg

Locke
07-11-2016, 03:58 PM
Looks like West Ham released a statement that they're not listening to offers under £50M for Payet.

Seems reasonable.

devo22
07-11-2016, 04:02 PM
Graziano Pelle goes to China. Sigh. And even worse for Southampton fans: they turn around and spend the same amount (around €15m) on Pierre-Emil Höjbjerg from Bayern Munich. I honestly can't think of a big club that's as good as Bayern right now when it comes to selling average players for big money. They got €30m for Rode and Höjbjerg this summer, for Christs sake ... that almost funded the Hummels fee by selling those two. Unbelievable.

Vincent Janssen to Tottenham seems finally done, according to the BBC. Fee is €20m, which is an outstanding piece of business for the Spurs yet again.

SuperMatt18
07-11-2016, 04:08 PM
Surprising from Pelle.

Pretty much means is unlikely to get as much time on the international team since the Italian federation frowns upon players that play outside of the big 5 leagues for the most part.

Although I guess he is 30 already and probably realizes he isn't in the plans for much longer anyways.

Slava
07-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Looks like West Ham released a statement that they're not listening to offers under £50M for Payet.

Seems reasonable.

Hopefully they sell him and get relegated.

rubecube
07-11-2016, 09:45 PM
Not crazy about the shoulders on the new home kit, but the away kit is sharp.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cm099l3WIAAVHfH.jpg

Slava
07-11-2016, 09:49 PM
I love the away, and home is alright as you say. The third is pretty terrible I think.

cam_wmh
07-12-2016, 12:06 AM
Who's that other keeper? Looks so out of place

Money Baer
07-12-2016, 12:19 AM
Who's that other keeper? Looks so out of place

Vorm

Locke
07-12-2016, 09:35 AM
What the hell is AIA?

Senator Clay Davis
07-12-2016, 09:40 AM
If it looks like a financial services company, has a terrible logo like a financial services company, and has a name like a financial services company...at least Everton is sponsored by beer to their credit.

Locke
07-12-2016, 09:44 AM
If it looks like a financial services company, has a terrible logo like a financial services company, and has a name like a financial services company...at least Everton is sponsored by beer to their credit.

Crap, and we lost our Carlsberg cred years ago.

Slava
07-12-2016, 09:50 AM

Its mind boggling that they have enough pull to get their logo in red on the home jersey (or any jersey for that matter).

Locke
07-12-2016, 09:52 AM

It could be a ninja training company.

"Ay-YA!"

nik-
07-12-2016, 10:09 AM

Anyone who's drank Chang would call that statement a stretch.

Senator Clay Davis
07-12-2016, 10:14 AM
^Obviously, but the League Cup and Premier League used to be sponsored by Carling so....basically the equivalent Stanley Cup Playoffs, brought to you by Mountain Crest. Carlsberg is....alright I guess. Still better than being sponsored by Qatar or Azerbaijan I suppose.

Locke
07-12-2016, 10:19 AM
^Obviously, but the League Cup and Premier League used to be sponsored by Carling so....basically the equivalent Stanley Cup Playoffs, brought to you by Mountain Crest. Carlsberg is....probably alright I guess. Still better than being sponsored by Qatar or Azerbaijan I suppose.

Fixed that for you. ;)

GirlySports
07-12-2016, 10:30 AM
teams that have betting companies as shirt sponsors are weird

Senator Clay Davis
07-12-2016, 10:35 AM
Betting companies having in game ads telling you the odds you can get down on at halftime of games is also weird. But having been over there now, everyone simple likes to get down with a little action.

Locke
07-12-2016, 10:39 AM
teams that have betting companies as shirt sponsors are weird

Not at all, I know, you know it, having some skin in the game makes the game that much better.

You've got to have a team to root for, no matter your reasons.

rubecube
07-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Spurs have come a ways since the "Mansion Poker" days.

Senator Clay Davis
07-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Well last year's sponsor count was...

Gambling - 8
Financial services/Insurance/Assurance - 5
Airlines - 2
Car companies - 1
Tire companies - 1
Beer companies - 1
Power companies - 1
Electronics companies - 1

Locke
07-13-2016, 10:41 AM
Sunderland have granted the FA Permission to speak to Big Sam about the England job.

Yes, that Big Sam Allardyce. No, I'm not joking.

http://www.espnfc.us/england/story/2912169/sam-allardyce-allowed-by-sunderland-to-meet-with-fa-over-england-job

90s long-balls for everyone!

GirlySports
07-13-2016, 11:07 AM
90s long balls might work, it's better than what they're doing now.

and I mentioned Big Sam about 10 pages ago :)

Senator Clay Davis
07-13-2016, 11:11 AM
Shouldn't they wait for Sam until they're facing relegation? Or in England's case I guess, appearing to not even qualify for 2018? Bringing him in when things aren't in peril seems like a waste of his talents.

Locke
07-13-2016, 11:18 AM
90s long balls might work, it's better than what they're doing now.

and I mentioned Big Sam about 10 pages ago :)

At least long-balls is a tactic, which, you're right, is better than what they had under Hodgson. That was just a disaster. That almost literally couldnt have gone any worse.

Good news for Andy Carroll though. This is going to be his time to shine!

rubecube
07-13-2016, 11:45 AM
Sunderland have granted the FA Permission to speak to Big Sam about the England job.

http://www.espnfc.us/england/story/2912169/sam-allardyce-allowed-by-sunderland-to-meet-with-fa-over-england-job

England gonna England.

d_phaneuf
07-13-2016, 12:12 PM
I think Sam is actually a good choice, he's a good man manager, knows how to deal with players

has a history of getting better results than his talent has shown, and he isn't exactly a throwback to the past, was one of the first managers to start looking at stats

plus he wont be as diplomatic as Roy, which we don't need, he knows his best team and will always use it

not saying England should have won that tournament but if say by the Iceland game the same group of something like Kane/Sturridge/Alli/Rooney/Wilshere/Dier/Rose/Cahill/Smalling/Walker/Hart had played 4-5 games with each other in 1 system I think things would have been more comfortable

Senator Clay Davis
07-15-2016, 07:06 AM
Chelsea has apparently signed Kante away from Leicester. Unlikely there will be a more significant move this summer in terms of how it weakens the champions and significantly boosts a likely challenger. Still would have thought he'd go somewhere with Champions League next year, but obviously a great signing for Chelsea.

Slava
07-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Chelsea has apparently signed Kante away from Leicester. Unlikely there will be a more significant move this summer in terms of how it weakens the champions and significantly boosts a likely challenger. Still would have thought he'd go somewhere with Champions League next year, but obviously a great signing for Chelsea.

That is a great signing for them. I wonder if Mahrez is staying or leaving this summer.

devo22
07-15-2016, 11:05 AM
yeah that's a fantastic signing. Fee apparently is £30m (€36m).

Leroy Sane to Man City is almost done too. Sigh.

Locke
07-15-2016, 12:01 PM

He probably chose a Non-CL Chelsea because they are going to pay him a fortune.

devo22
07-16-2016, 09:30 AM
so far:

LEICESTER CITY
+ Ron-Robert Zieler, Nampalys Mendy, Ahmed Musa, Luis Hernandez
- N'Golo Kante, Andrej Kramaric

FC ARSENAL
+ Granit Xhaka
- Mathieu Flamini, Tomas Rosicky, Mikel Arteta

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR
+ Victor Wanyama, Vincent Janssen
- nobody

MANCHESTER CITY
+ Ilkay Gündogan, Nolito, Leroy Sane, Oleksandr Zinchenko
- Martin Demichelis, Edin Dzeko

MANCHESTER UNITED
+ Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Eric Bailly
- Victor Valdes, Nick Powell, Ashley Fletcher

FC SOUTHAMPTON
+ Nathan Redmond, Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg
- Sadio Mane, Graziano Pelle, Victor Wanyama, Juanmi, Gaston Ramirez

WEST HAM UNITED
+ Sofiane Feghouli, Gökhan Töre, Havard Nordveit, Toni Martinez, Ashley Fletcher
- James Tomkins, Alex Song, Joey O'Brien

FC LIVERPOOL
+ Loris Karius, Sadio Mane, Joel Matip
- Martin Skrtel, Jordon Ibe, Kolo Toure, Joao Teixeira

STOKE CITY
+ nobody
- Peter Odemwingie, Steve Sidwell

FC CHELSEA
+ N'Golo Kante, Michy Batshuayi
- Falcao, Alexandre Pato, Stipe Perica, Mohamed Salah

FC EVERTON
+ Maarten Stekelenburg
- Tim Howard, Steven Pienaar, Leon Osman, Tony Hibbert

SWANSEA CITY
+ Mike van der Hoorn, Leroy Fer
- Eder, Alberto Paloschi

FC WATFORD
+ Isaac Success, Christian Kabasele
- Miguel Layun, Jose Manuel Jurado, Joel Ekstrand, Victor Ibarbo

WEST BROMWICH ALBION
+ Matt Phillips
- Victor Anichebe, Anders Lindegaard, Stephane Sessegnon

CRYSTAL PALACE
+ Steve Mandanda, Andros Townsend, James Tomkins
- Dwight Gayle, Emmanuel Adebayor, Brede Hangeland, Marouane Chamakh, Adrian Mariappa

AFC BOURNEMOUTH
+ Lewis Cook, Jordon Ibe, Lys Mousset, Emerson Hyndman
- Matt Ritchie, Lee Tomlin, Tommy Elphick, Sylvain Distin, Glenn Murray, Stephane Zubar

AFC SUNDERLAND
+ nobody
- Emanuele Giaccherini, Wes Brown, Yann M'Vila, Santiago Vergini, Danny Graham, Steven Fletcher, Ola Toivonen

FC BURNLEY
+ Jack Leitch
- Joey Barton, Matthew Taylor

FC MIDDLESBROUGH
+ Viktor Fischer, Marten de Roon, Antonio Barragan, Neven Subotic, Victor Valdes, Bernardo Espinosa
- Jonathan Woodgate, Rhys Williams

HULL CITY
+ nobody
- Ryan Taylor, Sone Aluko

------------------------------------------------------------------

absolutely love what Bournemouth is doing. Pretty amazing that Sunderland of all clubs haven't brought anybody in, that doesn't bode well for them and their shambolic squad. Middlesbrough has to be the most ambitious promoted team in years. Southampton is having a shocker of a window, I'm seriously worried about them. Everton will surely start spending serious cash at some point.

Locke
07-16-2016, 04:04 PM
For some reason I'm really hoping Middlesbrough get 2 clean sheets against United with Valdes in net.

Addick
07-18-2016, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Valdez headbutt someone, he looks the type.

devo22
07-18-2016, 05:26 PM
Pogba to United is "close", according to pretty good sources in Italy (Carlo Laudisa from Gazzetto dello Sport, for example). The fee is absolutely ridiculous - €100m will go to Juventus and €24m to Raiola when all is said and done. Not a single footballer on this planet is worth that money, but hey, let the Glazers bleed.

Senator Clay Davis
07-18-2016, 05:48 PM
I just read the other day that United has something like 70 different sponsors. I seriously doubt the Glazers will be out any cash here. I feel for Pogba mostly if that's the final price, he's a nice player but we all know everyone will rip on him for being overpaid and overrated if he doesn't deliver a huge season. It's not his fault for the stupid fee, but he'll be the one the media rags on regardless. For his sake I hope he's ready for it.

cam_wmh
07-19-2016, 07:37 AM
Juve keeps saying they don't want to sell too. $100m/$70m can keep those cash strapped Italians going for a long time. With Zidane recently said Real is out, call their bluff, see how bad they need that money.

devo22
07-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Gazzetta dello Sport running a story tomorrow that Pogba has told Juve to let him go because he wants the United move. Di Marzio said all parties met today and United made a €100m bid, which they'll probably reject but they are expected to come back with a counter-offer of €120m. All about finding a middle ground now, the Italian media is convinced that he'll go.

Locke
07-19-2016, 04:22 PM
Gazzetta dello Sport running a story tomorrow that Pogba has told Juve to let him go because he wants the United move. Di Marzio said all parties met today and United made a €100m bid, which they'll probably reject but they are expected to come back with a counter-offer of €120m. All about finding a middle ground now, the Italian media is convinced that he'll go.

Hell...you could damned near just buy Juve for that.

nik-
07-19-2016, 09:30 PM
Hell...you could damned near just buy Juve for that.

Juventus isn't worth a whole lot less than Liverpool

kobasew19
07-19-2016, 10:36 PM
As a Juve follower, I've been reading rumours that the team will use the money from the Pogba transfer to activate the €94 million release clause for Higuain...not sure how I would feel about that...

Locke
07-19-2016, 10:43 PM
Juventus isn't worth a whole lot less than Liverpool

I am aware of that, we cant all be Real Madrid.

As a Juve follower, I've been reading rumours that the team will use the money from the Pogba transfer to activate the €94 million release clause for Higuain...not sure how I would feel about that...

That would be...why? Is Higuain in some sort of amazing form that I am unaware of?

nik-
07-19-2016, 10:48 PM

United and Bayern fans can!

d_phaneuf
07-20-2016, 01:48 AM

That would be...why? Is Higuain in some sort of amazing form that I am unaware of?

hes nor worth it but his form is amazing, he just set the serie A record for goals in a season I think

kobasew19
07-20-2016, 05:39 AM
hes nor worth it but his form is amazing, he just set the serie A record for goals in a season I think

Exactly, set a new record for most goals in a Serie A campaign and had a solid Copa America. Definitely not worth his release clause though.

Addick
07-20-2016, 07:51 AM
Higuain is most definitely not worth anything close to his release clause. If a club was going to spend £80m on Higuain, why not throw that much and a few million more at Dortmund for Aubameyang?

devo22
07-20-2016, 08:05 AM
well Dortmund would never sell after losing Hummels, Gündogan and Mkhitaryan in the same summer.

according to Napolis president, Juve have told them that they are not going to activate the clause for Higuain, so it's not going to happen anyway.

Senator Clay Davis
07-20-2016, 11:52 AM

Apparently it's done. And for fun, Sunderland is apparently hiring David Moyes to replace him.

devo22
07-20-2016, 11:55 AM
Apparently it's done. And for fun, Sunderland is apparently hiring David Moyes to replace him.
Yeah, good luck with that. Not that Moyes can't work at a mid-table club and have success (see Everton), but that squad is an absolute tire fire. I still can't believe that Allardyce was able to keep them up, Newcastle and Norwich should be ashamed of themselves for finishing behind that lot.

as for Big Sam getting the England job, I still don't know how to feel about it.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3KUaEj1bT7Vao/giphy.gif

Locke
07-20-2016, 12:27 PM
Big Sam might not be a terrible choice. He gets a lot out of what he has. It typically isnt pretty and its usually less than inspiring, but lets be honest, he isnt being handed the keys to a Ferrari with this England squad, hes got to do the best he can with the Turnip Truck that hes given.

Honestly, and its easy for me to say as someone who isnt an England supporter, results aside if he gets a team playing with confidence rather than playing scared and can assert a culture he could have a lot of success or at least set up a successor with something decent.

Senator Clay Davis
07-20-2016, 12:32 PM
Portugal was just mostly unwatchable and I doubt their fans are giving the trophy back. If Sam wins it can be ugly as sin and the fans will live with it. But if they don't win and it's ugly he'll be fired a lot quicker than Hodgson was I would think.

d_phaneuf
07-20-2016, 01:33 PM
so how many games does it take Rooney to pick up this card

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36844570

I say less than 3

also could be hilarious opening weekend with a few games ending 9 v 9

The Big Chill
07-20-2016, 01:40 PM
so how many games does it take Rooney to pick up this card

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36844570

I say less than 3

This is long overdue, hopefully they actually enforce it.

Locke
07-20-2016, 01:49 PM
I hope they enforce it too. I want to see soccer refs treated like Rugby refs and no more schmoozing the 4th official on the sidelines either.

Opening day is going to be a bloodbath.

cam_wmh
07-20-2016, 02:21 PM
Apparently Pogba is done, as of an hour ago.

Addick
07-20-2016, 02:28 PM

I think they are going to ease into this rule. However, it would be awesome if they didn't!

devo22
07-20-2016, 02:30 PM
I hope they enforce it too. I want to see soccer refs treated like Rugby refs and no more schmoozing the 4th official on the sidelines either.

Opening day is going to be a bloodbath.
I doubt it.

Apparently Pogba is done, as of an hour ago.
yup, very reliable sources in France and Italy say so, as is Mourinhos mouthpiece Duncan Castles. Have seen everything between €100m and €130m reported, there seems to be some uncertainty regarding Raiolas cut and possible bonus payments. Either way, this one seems to be close.

Ibrahimovic, Mkhitaryan and Pogba in one transfer window despite no CL football, holy ####. I guess Woodward was right - "We can do things in the transfer market that other clubs can only dream of."

devo22
07-20-2016, 02:38 PM
In other news, the Welsh Xavi is set to sign for Stoke City. Fee is about €15m, so well done Liverpool.

Neven Subotic has failed his medical at Middlesbrough. Needs surgery because of a rib issue.

Senator Clay Davis
07-20-2016, 02:38 PM
Pogba's rumoured salary is £220,000 per week after tax, so his true base has to be somewhere close to £375,000 a week. All these stupid numbers just make me wonder what just Neymar would be worth, let alone Messi or Ronaldo.

Locke
07-20-2016, 02:39 PM
Pogba's rumoured salary is £220,000 per week after tax, so his true base has to be somewhere close to £375,000 a week. All these stupid numbers just make me wonder what just Neymar would be worth, let alone Messi or Ronaldo.

I should have practiced harder...:whistle:

cam_wmh
07-20-2016, 02:39 PM
I doubt it.

yup, very reliable sources in France and Italy say so, as is Mourinhos mouthpiece Duncan Castles. Have seen everything between €100m and €130m reported, there seems to be some uncertainty regarding Raiolas cut and possible bonus payments. Either way, this one seems to be close.

Ibrahimovic, Mkhitaryan and Pogba in one transfer window despite no CL football, holy ####. I guess Woodward was right - "We can do things in the transfer market that other clubs can only dream of."
And I think the 4th buy, plays the most games of the lot.

cam_wmh
07-20-2016, 02:41 PM
In other news, the Welsh Xavi is set to sign for Stoke City. Fee is about €15m, so well done Liverpool.

Neven Subotic has failed his medical at Middlesbrough. Needs surgery because of a rib issue.

Stoke is already better than Liverpool, why are they making them better?

:whistle::ph34r:

devo22
07-20-2016, 02:43 PM
And I think the 4th buy, plays the most games of the lot.
UPxv9VLQjQ4

;)

cam_wmh
07-20-2016, 03:13 PM
haha yeah already saw that. So slick.

d_phaneuf
07-20-2016, 03:50 PM
so for all the good he did

SAF treating Pogba like a reserve only ended up costing the club 130m

devo22
07-20-2016, 03:53 PM
so for all the good he did

SAF treating Pogba like a reserve only ended up costing the club 130m
was his most expensive mistake for sure, yes.

personally I think it all evens out in the end. The Glazers saved a ton of money for many years because Ferguson was able to get out the very best of mediocre players and win titles without breaking the bank. Hell, there even was a summer where Ronaldo and Tevez were replaced by Owen, Obertan and Valencia.

d_phaneuf
07-20-2016, 03:53 PM
obviously a great signing, although I think now United definitely need a shield in front of the back 4 because Pogba does look to stay forward a bit

the signings are done early too that while they won't have the advantage that Arsenal/Spurs have of squads that are very similar with each other already, they also wont be like City/Chelsea who are still probably looking at 3-4 signings each

I imagine over the next few years England, really any of the top 6 clubs, are going to start looking a lot stronger in the CL. Spanish cycle of dominance about to end IMO

kobasew19
07-20-2016, 04:00 PM
I keep reading it's not done yet and Madrid has jumped back in...

Locke
07-20-2016, 04:02 PM

I'm not seeing that, I keep reading that its done, and Madrid bowed out a while ago, I dont know why they'd want back in at the 11th hour.

devo22
07-20-2016, 04:04 PM
obviously a great signing, although I think now United definitely need a shield in front of the back 4 because Pogba does look to stay forward a bitSchneiderlin.

I keep reading it's not done yet and Madrid has jumped back in...the only one reporting that is di Marzio, and he even says that it's too late because Pogba is committed to go to United.

Madrid can go pound sand.

nik-
07-20-2016, 04:05 PM

Zidane doesn't want him and it seems that Perez is actually listening to his manager for a change.

edit: doesn't want him is the wrong words, doesn't see the need would be better.

d_phaneuf
07-20-2016, 04:22 PM
this also is another reason why it was always going to be Jose for them

Even if Mourinho doesn't work out, in 2 years they still have all the signings minus Zlatan

if you hire an unknown or less well known manager now, you dont get players like this until you are in the CL

devo22
07-20-2016, 04:47 PM
absolutely love Griezmanns brother ... die hard United fan. If only he could convince his brother ... :D

http://i.imgur.com/Je86CBG.png

rubecube
07-20-2016, 10:07 PM
"We can do things in the transfer market that other clubs can only dream of."

Haha, yeah, it's called having a massive chequebook and willingness to overpay.

Bagor
07-20-2016, 10:12 PM
Haha, yeah, it's called having a massive chequebook and willingness to overpay.

Whatever gets er done.

It's all about success and trophies. Isn't it?

cam_wmh
07-20-2016, 11:08 PM
Whatever gets er done.

I imagine, Teddy, Dimitar, & Michael would agree.

rubecube
07-20-2016, 11:49 PM
Whatever gets er done.

Oh I'm not disagreeing. Just this idea that it's some kind of club-related mystique that allows for it is completely naive.

devo22
07-21-2016, 04:47 AM
Oh I'm not disagreeing. Just this idea that it's some kind of club-related mystique that allows for it is completely naive.
and nobody has said that. Woodwards statement is all about the chequebook and the willingness to overpay, nobody is going to question that.

The Big Chill
07-21-2016, 06:56 AM
paul joyce (@pjoyceexpress)

Liverpool agree fee for Georginio Wijnaldum. Fee will reach £25m with add ons. Player set for medical and join Liverpool in USA tour

Locke
07-21-2016, 09:37 AM
Why did I just get a Score alert that the Pogba deal isnt done? Says Raiola nixed the deal?

Maybe he thinks he can squeeze United for a few more million?

Locke
07-21-2016, 02:02 PM
Swansea City just got sold to US investors for £110M. According to TheScore.

devo22
07-21-2016, 02:13 PM
Why did I just get a Score alert that the Pogba deal isnt done? Says Raiola nixed the deal?

Maybe he thinks he can squeeze United for a few more million?
lol that's worse than Sun level "journalism".

Raiola simply tweeted that nothing is done. He said the same thing about Ibrahimovic a day or two before he signed lol. Raiola loves that kind of stuff ... he basically talks up deals all year, and then when they really are close, he denies everything. Sooo ... nothing to see here. And given that his agent fee is, according to various reports, the only thing that holds up the deal, "nothing is done" is technically right at this moment I guess.

Locke
07-21-2016, 02:19 PM
lol that's worse than Sun level "journalism".

Raiola simply tweeted that nothing is done. He said the same thing about Ibrahimovic a day or two before he signed lol. Raiola loves that kind of stuff ... he basically talks up deals all year, and then when they really are close, he denies everything. Sooo ... nothing to see here. And given that his agent fee is, according to various reports, the only thing that holds up the deal, "nothing is done" is technically right at this moment I guess.

Hey man, if you've got a beef take it up with the Score.

devo22
07-21-2016, 02:21 PM
I don't have a beef lol. And I believe I don't even know what "The Score" is :bag: but if they really took Raiolas tweet and said he "nixed the deal", then I believe I'm not missing out on anything :D

Locke
07-21-2016, 02:33 PM
I don't have a beef lol. And I believe I don't even know what "The Score" is :bag: but if they really took Raiolas tweet and said he "nixed the deal", then I believe I'm not missing out on anything :D

They might not be one them there big fancy big-city news agencies you gots down there in Australia, but 'round these here parts they reports themselves a fine story.

cam_wmh
07-21-2016, 02:55 PM
the australia portion of your chirp, made me lol

Locke
07-21-2016, 02:57 PM
the australia portion of your chirp, made me lol

You're welcome. ;)

Anyways, I was just repeating what was on the Score alert and its probably nothing more than posturing or going for more money, I have little doubt that Pogba will be in a United jersey in fairly short order.

cam_wmh
07-21-2016, 03:50 PM
---------- Ibrahimovic
----------- Rooney
------- Schwein -- P***a
------------ De Gea

Sorry, who is this?

You're welcome. ;)

Anyways, I was just repeating what was on the Score alert and its probably nothing more than posturing or going for more money, I have little doubt that Pogba will be in a United jersey in fairly short order.

:cool:

Locke
07-21-2016, 04:01 PM
:cool:

For some reason I thought it was censored by the board and I couldnt figure out who it was.:bag:

Nuje
07-21-2016, 04:31 PM
I was really confused. There are a few words in Polish (and other eastern European languages) for which that would be an appropriate censored version. Thought Polak posted it at first.

Delthefunky
07-22-2016, 01:12 AM

Not done yet though, rumor is he might head back to Swansea

d_phaneuf
07-22-2016, 01:25 AM
Welsh Xavi would be a good fit for all the actual former Barca players at Stoke

devo22
07-22-2016, 05:20 AM
Blockbuster deal incoming: FC Liverpool sign .......... 39 year old Austrian goalkeeper Alexander Manninger. I can't even ...

Locke
07-22-2016, 09:38 AM
Blockbuster deal incoming: FC Liverpool sign .......... 39 year old Austrian goalkeeper Alexander Manninger. I can't even ...

Yeah, I just got that. WTF Jurgen?

Maybe he intends to really sandbag the hell out of the League Cup?

devo22
07-22-2016, 09:39 AM
the two weakest teams of the PL have lost their managers on the same day. Might as well already relegate them.

England @England
It's official. We are delighted to announce that Sam Allardyce is the new manager of the #ThreeLions!

Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ
Sky Sources: Steve Bruce has left Hull #SSNHQ

devo22
07-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I just got that. WTF Jurgen?

Maybe he intends to really sandbag the hell out of the League Cup?
really happy for him though, he's had a great career and he's earned that. Reliable and experienced keeper, probably only 3rd choice anyway - but a great role model and mentor for the younger guys. And make no mistake, he'll be solid if called upon.

Senator Clay Davis
07-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Should have signed Old Man sweatpants instead. Or hopefully he rocks some sweatpants too.

cam_wmh
07-22-2016, 11:05 AM
So who starts? the other loris or mignolet?

Locke
07-22-2016, 11:06 AM
So who starts? the other loris or mignolet?

I think its Mignolet's net unless he loses it.

cam_wmh
07-22-2016, 11:23 AM
well, based upon numbering conventions.. ;)

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/222989-liverpool-confirm-loris-karius-squad-number

d_phaneuf
07-22-2016, 11:25 AM
guessing Manninger wants to get in to coaching? and could come in as 3rd choice while also doing his badges

similar to what Friedel did after his 1 season of starting

Locke
07-22-2016, 11:30 AM
well, based upon numbering conventions.. ;)

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/222989-liverpool-confirm-loris-karius-squad-number

Thats not bad though, hew seems heir apparent to Mignolet, if Mignolet loses his net he may not be able to win it back.

Locke
07-23-2016, 10:02 AM
David Moyes is appointed Sunderland manager. I guess hes in a hurry to get back to the Championship. ;)

devo22
07-23-2016, 05:02 PM
I honestly wish him all the best ... but you just know this is going to end in tears.

d_phaneuf
07-23-2016, 07:18 PM
really? I would be surprised if they go down

they were a mess until big Sam showed up last year and I think with that squad they should be in the 12-16 range easily with the current team

cam_wmh
07-23-2016, 08:00 PM
Mourinho's wife posts a picture to Twitter, and in the background is a tactics board with squad players written in....

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/blog/the-toe-poke/65/post/2914549/paul-pogba-in-man-utd-xi-jose-mourinhos-wife-shares-pic-of-his-tactics-board

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cnu3k7FXEAAb1l3.jpg:large

And with some sleuthing...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cnu_D_jXYAA0VAe.jpg:large

cam_wmh
07-23-2016, 08:05 PM
Further sleuthing..

it says Mata

Locke
07-24-2016, 12:03 AM
Yeah...Mata is being sold to Manchester City's new Franchise located on the Moon.

cam_wmh
07-24-2016, 12:59 PM
Chelsea fans in preparation for their friendly vs Liverpool.

https://twitter.com/hamzy_86477/status/757130707688886272/photo/1

GirlySports
07-25-2016, 07:00 AM
Beijing game cancelled

http://e2.365dm.com/16/07/16-9/20/football-manchester-united-press-conference-jose-mourinho_3750665.jpg?20160724131745

devo22
07-25-2016, 07:36 AM
rightfully so.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoMlzLWVYAARdfz.jpg:small

unbearable weather, horrible training and pitch conditions, delayed flights, cancelled game ... I highly doubt that United will go back to China anytime soon.

GirlySports
07-25-2016, 07:59 AM
They can go to China but need to play somewhere else. The Bird's Nest is a horrible stadium for events not involving a track. They played a few SuperCoppa Italias there and they were disasters.

devo22
07-25-2016, 08:02 AM
well the conditions in Shenzhen were quite bad too. The pitch for the United-Dortmund game was horrible, not to mention the humidity. I'm really thankful to van Gaal in that regard - when the trip was planned a few months ago, they originally wanted to go for two weeks or so. Van Gaal pushed it down to 8 days.

devo22
07-25-2016, 08:25 AM
Kolo Toure is absolutely excited to join Celtic.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoNZBDzXgAA_1kR.jpg

fantastic. This almost beats Aaron Lennon from a couple of years ago.

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/ad_158656171-e1422964794248.jpg?w=620&h=408&crop=1

cam_wmh
07-25-2016, 09:30 AM
lol

Locke
07-25-2016, 02:13 PM
Kolo Toure should be happy for work and holy crap, we got £13M for Welsh Xavi? No complaints there.

devo22
07-26-2016, 06:06 AM
New Sunderland manager David Moyes wants Marouane Fellaini to join him at the Stadium of Light. Moyes signed Fellainin when he was Everton boss, and then took him to Old Trafford when he becamse United manager in 2013. A bid around the £13million mark could be enough to land the 28-year-old.http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfer-news-rumours-11662184

https://media.giphy.com/media/S3Ot3hZ5bcy8o/giphy.gif

cam_wmh
07-26-2016, 10:25 AM
Omg take him.

Locke
07-26-2016, 01:22 PM
I'm sorry, I'm afraid I dont understand.

So Fellaini would leave Manchester United? And they'd receive money? What is this? Christmas?

cam_wmh
07-26-2016, 02:32 PM
uh, well anything's possible, I mean Skrtel fetched £5.5m

devo22
07-26-2016, 02:35 PM
Moyes should also take Januzaj on loan. Would surely be mutually beneficial.

Locke
07-26-2016, 02:35 PM
uh, well anything's possible, I mean Skrtel fetched £5.5m

In fairness he had a pretty strong Euro. If you ignore all of the fouls...which most of the refs did!

devo22
07-27-2016, 04:48 PM
seems like United have finally bent (of course they have ...) and agreed to pay Raiolas fee, who apparently in return takes a small pay cut. The deal should finally be done within the next 48 hours, according to di Marzio and other Italian journalists. About time it was finalized.

Reals mouthpiece Marca apparently took a recent photo from Pogbas social media accounts where he's wearing all white as a sign that he really wants to join Real instead of United. Probably not a coincidence then that Pogba has just posted this (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoZuZwxWYAIVJo4.jpg) :D

cam_wmh
07-27-2016, 11:31 PM
seems like United have finally bent (of course they have ...) and agreed to pay Raiolas fee, who apparently in return takes a small pay cut. The deal should finally be done within the next 48 hours, according to di Marzio and other Italian journalists. About time it was finalized.

Reals mouthpiece Marca apparently took a recent photo from Pogbas social media accounts where he's wearing all white as a sign that he really wants to join Real instead of United. Probably not a coincidence then that Pogba has just posted this (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoZuZwxWYAIVJo4.jpg) :D

Man, don't do that to yourself-- he's going to Madrid.

devo22
07-28-2016, 11:25 AM
you spelled "Manchester" wrong this time though ;)

Juventus are expected to confirm the sale in a statement today. United will pay €110m (£92.5m), which also includes Raiolas fee. Seems he's taken a pay cut, since Juventus will net slightly more than €100m. Still crazy figures, but at the end of the day, it's quite a bit less than what has been reported in recent days where most of the journalists thought that United would end up paying more than €130m.

Locke
07-29-2016, 01:32 PM
Oh Jurgen...

xDZD8eM5Hgk

rubecube
07-29-2016, 01:32 PM
I love agents

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13659205_1210682942315732_6795649791810875331_n.jp g?oh=3fbaf3938cd3cd69d53d7d3279997e44&oe=582D75A9

And then...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CohXfeSUIAAZegg.jpg

rubecube
07-29-2016, 01:37 PM
On an unrelated note, does anyone know when the Canadian broadcasters release their schedules for the upcoming season? All I see as firm are the matches in August. I'm wondering if I should bother adding Sportsnet or if most of Spurs' PL matches will be on TSN.

EDIT: Nevermind. Looks like I'm set until the end of September at the minimum.

d_phaneuf
07-29-2016, 07:13 PM
I imagine they lottery them up and it ends up being even between the top 6 or so teams as to whether they end up on SNET/TSN since the contract is 50/50 down the middle I believe

Delthefunky
07-29-2016, 07:14 PM
Kolo Toure should be happy for work and holy crap, we got £13M for Welsh Xavi? No complaints there.

I'm pretty excited for him! He had a strong Euro too. What's wrong with him?

d_phaneuf
07-30-2016, 03:35 PM
nothing wrong

just Brendan at Swansea talked him up like he was just as good a passer as Xavi

Locke
07-30-2016, 03:36 PM
I'm pretty excited for him! He had a strong Euro too. What's wrong with him?

Hes a very good and serviceable player, hes just not the guy to be running the engine room if you have aspirations of being something more.

From what I can tell hes been nothing but the consummate professional during his whole tenure, but he also never really nailed down a starting spot.

Delthefunky
07-30-2016, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what's going on with Stoke's midfield. Im thinking that he'll be a Whelan replacement down the line, but they're going to have to adapt that role for him somewhat. I hope he can defend ok, because as good as Imbula is since he arrived, he does not track back well at all. Then of course we're playing Bojan further up the pitch.

devo22
07-30-2016, 04:02 PM
United score 5 in a single game. What year is it?!?!?

https://streamable.com/zuta

cam_wmh
08-02-2016, 10:39 AM
I think its Mignolet's net unless he loses it.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/watch-simon-mignolet-blunder-against-8544068

really missing the other Lloris.

Senator Clay Davis
08-05-2016, 08:23 AM
So Leicester's owner bought the remaining players from last year's squad a pretty decent gift: A brand new BMW i8 for each of them, which goes for about £130,000. Kante should have stuck around for a few more weeks.

Slava
08-05-2016, 08:42 AM
West Ham played their first game in the new stadium yesterday and from the pictures online and around it looks like a complete disaster. The fans are very far from the pitch, and there is a huge gap (20-30 feet?) between the temporary seats and main seats of the stadium. It looks incredibly temporary (and maybe it is), but if that is the deal for the next 99 years then there are going to be a lot of upset supporters I would think. If you were a supporter from here making a pilgrimage you might want to see them play an away somewhere rather than what it looks like today.

(I would post pictures, but I'm inept:bag:)

devo22
08-05-2016, 09:14 AM
it looks like they put up temporary stands so that people are closer to the pitch ... which makes a lot of the permanent seats redundant I guess.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpCihjSXgAASGe8.jpg:small https://abload.de/img/whcwr5u.jpg

apparently they named it "London Stadium" ... which sounds like something you'd find in a Pro Evo game which doesn't have the licence to use the real names.

Senator Clay Davis
08-05-2016, 09:16 AM
It'll be <insert gambling/financial services company here> stadium soon enough.

Slava
08-05-2016, 10:32 AM
Apparently Tesco bought naming rights?

Winsor_Pilates
08-06-2016, 12:18 PM
Apparently Tesco bought naming rights?
They should call it "The Fridge"

devo22
08-07-2016, 05:51 AM
Pogba has finally been given permission by Juventus to undergo his medical at Manchester United. Paperwork finally done.

EDIT: United confirm.

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/762287235794407425