PDA

View Full Version : Medicine Hat Tigers evicted from new arena

Resolute 14
03-31-2016, 03:47 PM
Lease negotiations with the city not going too well, it seems:

http://medicinehatnews.com/news/local-news/2016/03/31/tigers-told-to-vacate-canalta-centre/

Fire
03-31-2016, 05:00 PM
Medicine Hat needs the Tigers more than vice versa. Without the Tigers the arena would be empty at least 80% of the year. You would think the city would have a lease worked out with the Tigers before they started to build the arena.

Lubicon
04-01-2016, 09:21 AM
Posturing by the City. There's nowhere for the Tigers to go so it's not like they can threaten to leave but yes, the City needs them more than they need the City. At the end of the day something will get done, they didn't build the new facility to sit empty.

Or then again maybe they do move (not sure where) and one of the other franchises that is struggling with attendance comes to the Hat.

Resolute 14
04-01-2016, 09:23 AM
Well, the Medicine Hat Arena still stands, I believe. Except I think it is also owned by the city.

They'll resolve it, naturally, but what a silly spat to begin with.

transplant99
04-02-2016, 01:49 AM
Im in Lethbridge and was at the final Canes meltdown tonight. I was around a few connected to the dub as well as the NHL and this was quite a topic.

One guy suggested that he understood that Kootenay would look at the 'Hat and may have already made contact, though i dont see it myself. Jeff Chynoweth is pretty committed to Cranbrook from what i understand.

All that being said and as resolute says, what a stupid thing to be into only one year in. The Tigers need the stadium and the stadium need the Tigers.

Sidney Crosby's Hat
04-03-2016, 05:35 PM
Im in Lethbridge and was at the final Canes meltdown tonight. I was around a few connected to the dub as well as the NHL and this was quite a topic.

One guy suggested that he understood that Kootenay would look at the 'Hat and may have already made contact, though i dont see it myself. Jeff Chynoweth is pretty committed to Cranbrook from what i understand.

All that being said and as resolute says, what a stupid thing to be into only one year in. The Tigers need the stadium and the stadium need the Tigers.

I've heard the same thing, that the city has Kootenay in their back pocket and are using it as leverage.

I've also heard Kootenay wants to get out of there and might go to Abbotsford if they can't get into Medicine Hat.

MoneyGuy
04-03-2016, 05:42 PM
It's ironic that the first Canadian city to claim to have eradicated homelessness has a homeless hockey team.

Alberta_Beef
04-03-2016, 07:10 PM
I've heard the same thing, that the city has Kootenay in their back pocket and are using it as leverage.

I've also heard Kootenay wants to get out of there and might go to Abbotsford if they can't get into Medicine Hat.It was just last summer Kootenay was rumored to Lethbridge if the Hurricanes moved. It is only a matter of time before Cranbrook loses the team whether that be by moving directly to Abbotsford themselves, or filling the void of another team that moves remains to be seen.

Resolute 14
04-04-2016, 08:03 AM
Two summers ago, I believe. The rumour had the Hurricanes going to Winnipeg, then the Ice to Lethbridge. It got put off when the community group in Lethbridge opted against putting the team up for sale, and then died when the Jets brought their AHL team in house.

It still baffles me that Swift Current works but all signs point to the Ice leaving sooner rather than later.

Alberta_Beef
04-04-2016, 06:57 PM
Two summers ago, I believe. The rumour had the Hurricanes going to Winnipeg, then the Ice to Lethbridge. It got put off when the community group in Lethbridge opted against putting the team up for sale, and then died when the Jets brought their AHL team in house.

It still baffles me that Swift Current works but all signs point to the Ice leaving sooner rather than later.that was the summer of 2015

chedder
04-04-2016, 07:46 PM
All just talk from season ticket holders but many say that Chenowyth wants to be in a bigger city and could care less about Cranbrook. They also say his mother owns the majority of the shares that the family controls. From being at many games over the years, the off ice experience there has gotten progressively worse. Not sure the city of Cranbrook's running of the arena helps that though. Another rumor is that Jeff pays himself absurdly handsomely to run the team and then says the team can't make any money.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Resolute 14
04-05-2016, 07:31 AM
that was the summer of 2015

The Jets bringing their AHL team in was summer of 2015.

The three-way WHL relocation rumour was 2014. It was, in fact, you yourself (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=136106) who broke it on Calgarypuck! ;)

Drake
04-05-2016, 11:39 AM
@tigershockey:
SMG and Tigers reach deal on Fri. Apr. 1st. WHL, SMG, and Tigers reviewd & agreed to written contract Mon. April. 4, document awaiting signatures.

Resolute 14
04-05-2016, 01:56 PM
No surprise there.

Alberta_Beef
04-05-2016, 11:12 PM
The Jets bringing their AHL team in was summer of 2015.

The three-way WHL relocation rumour was 2014. It was, in fact, you yourself (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=136106) who broke it on Calgarypuck! ;)Jesus, that was why I was so certain it was just last year :bag:.