PDA

View Full Version : Clarkson Cup

kn
03-13-2016, 02:23 PM
Calgary versus Montreal. I like that they retain the pro team uniform colours. Fairly decent crowd and game... I guess the TV audience will be minuscule though.

Anyone else watching?

kn
03-13-2016, 02:40 PM
Just reading up on the league... It's been slow and steady growth. They started with $100,000 in revenue but that has increased to $1.8 million. Average Attendance has increased from 500 to 700 this year; they had 7,000 for the All-Star game. Montreal and Calgary have the support of the NHL clubs and they've signed a deal with Sportsnet to televise four games a year.

The biggest controversy is paying players. The CWHL pays expenses while the NWHL in the US is paying players between $10,000 to $25,000. Does there really need to be two women's leagues in North America?

Mango
03-13-2016, 04:14 PM
The NWHL will include two Canadian teams next year. They'll be from southern Ontario.

Hayley Wickenheiser and many of her Calgary teammates, including the rest of the Olympians on the Inferno, are pro-CWHL. Most of them train, work and live in Calgary. Wickenheiser is very outspoken when it comes to this.

Some picked Montreal to be the runaway winners of the Clarkson Cup, but Calgary is dominating this game. Montreal's got the best player in the game right now with Marie-Philip Poulin, but Calgary's depth is tremendous. It's certainly showing today.

To bring the championship to Calgary is fantastic and will only raise the team's profile.

Pretty cool that they're using Calgary's goal horn in Ottawa.

kn
03-13-2016, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I'm really enjoying the game. What a save by Brian just as I write this! That was major league...

Mango
03-13-2016, 04:23 PM
She's been great.

Blayre Turnbull has been huge this game. Her finish on both goals was top class.

kn
03-13-2016, 04:28 PM
Congrats to the Inferno on bringing a championship to Calgary!

Mango
03-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Awesome :) What an incredible performance. Eight goals!

Funny that Wickenheiser is called a rookie.

kn
03-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Nice choice of Alicia Keyes "This girl is on fire" during the celebration.

kn
03-13-2016, 04:35 PM
They need a better "Conn Smythe Trophy".

Mango
03-13-2016, 04:35 PM
Really cool to see this. It must be so fulfilling to the coaching staff and management, given all the hard work they've put in over the years. Of course, the players too!

Hope the Flames do a little something for them this week.

craigwd
03-16-2016, 12:04 AM
Really cool to see this. It must be so fulfilling to the coaching staff and management, given all the hard work they've put in over the years. Of course, the players too!

Hope the Flames do a little something for them this week.

So very proud to be a part of this team! :)

The team is being honoured at the Flames game tonight.