PDA

View Full Version : The Cricket Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Party Elephant
02-20-2016, 01:12 AM
The old cricket thread was a bit of a mess and I didn't really feel like digging it up, so here's a brand new one for discussing this elegant sport. Tests, ODIs, IPL, World T20, post it all in here. I know there's a few cricket fans out there!

The reason I'm starting this today is because of the test match currently being played in Christchurch between New Zealand and Australia. It marks the final match in New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum's career, and he is going out in style. On Day 1 he set two world records: one for career test sixes (106 and counting!), and the fastest test century in history off just 54 balls. It was a sensational innings to watch. Not to mention at the time he entered the match New Zealand were getting absolutely owned by the Australian bowlers, and McCullum's batting turned it around. Still a lot of cricket to be played though. Anyways, here's the highlights:
2boxcdjDnpE
I've only become a cricket fan over the last year or so, and McCullum's play has been a big reason for that. The aggressive, risk taking, hard hitting style is so much fun to watch. If you've never really watched cricket and think it's all boring and slow, this man will make you a believer. At least that was the case for me. He will be missed for NZ.

Da_Chief
02-20-2016, 07:58 AM
He's a legend, totally changed New Zealand cricket. I love the aggressive style. It's fun looking at Kiwis's scorecard this match, anyone who made runs did it over 100 strike rate. Hopefully he goes out on a winning note, he still has years left but at least we will still see him in franchise cricket.

I'm a Pakistan fan so I can appreciate that style. The last few years Pakistan teams have totalled been neutered and I hate that. Hopefully with Misbah's retirement, they can get back to playing Pakistan cricket.

PSL (Pakistan Super League) - Similar to IPL, franchise cricket. The games have been close and fun. They are at semi-final stage.

Asia Cup - Also T20 matches between Asian team just ahead of the T20 World cup will start Feb 24th. Chance for players to get into a good rhythm. The most heated rivalry in the world, Pakistan vs India, will be played on Feb 27th.

T20 World Cup - The stars will be in India to put on a show. If you want to try cricket, watch this tournament. Runs will be plenty, wickets will be plenty. Some amazing catches and huge 6ers will take place.

FireGilbert
02-21-2016, 03:30 PM
Yes, McCullum is a superb batsman. My favourite stat from the other day was that he hit more sixes in 2 hours than Don Bradman hit his entire career.

Unfortunately for the Black Caps, the superior depth of Australia is coming through. The Aussies dominated day two and have now taken a 47 run lead with 6 wickets to spare.

Also, speaking of the Don, Adam Voges has put his test batting average over 100 in his 15th test. Not bad for someone who played their first test at age 35.

GirlySports
02-21-2016, 09:25 PM
well NZ have a lead, how much can they get in Day 4?

edit: never i cant add, they're down by 30

Party Elephant
02-21-2016, 09:50 PM
Watching NZ bowl to Australia over the 5 tests they've played this season has been so frustrating. Burns, Warner, Khawaja, Voges, and Smith have all batted exceptionally well.

I'm so gutted right now, I missed McCullum's last innings because I was in a skype call!

FireGilbert
02-21-2016, 09:54 PM
well NZ have a lead, how much can they get in Day 4?

edit: never i cant add, they're down by 30

You should have just waited an hour or so and the Black Caps will be up by 30. NZ is in big trouble though, they will probably end up with ~150 run lead when they need ~300 for a chance to win.

Also, McCullum has just gotten out for 25 on 27 balls in his final at bat. Supposedly David Warner made an amazing catch.

Party Elephant
02-21-2016, 10:00 PM
You should have just waited an hour or so and the Black Caps will be up by 30. NZ is in big trouble though, they will probably end up with ~150 run lead when they need ~300 for a chance to win.

Also, McCullum has just gotten out for 25 on 27 balls in his final at bat. Supposedly David Warner made an amazing catch.

Diving one handed barrel roll, yeah it was a beauty.

As is typically the case in tests against Australia, we're losing wickets way too quickly. We are missing Ross Taylor badly, rookie Henry Nicholls has taken his spot in the batting lineup and hasn't been able to do much with it.

FireGilbert
02-21-2016, 10:32 PM
Watching NZ bowl to Australia over the 5 tests they've played this season has been so frustrating. Burns, Warner, Khawaja, Voges, and Smith have all batted exceptionally well.

I'm so gutted right now, I missed McCullum's last innings because I was in a skype call!

It's all about the depth in test cricket. NZ has two or three guys who can put up a 100 while the Aussies have 4 or 5.

Also, taking wickets is a huge problem for the Kiwis. You can dominate T20 and ODI without having wicket taking bowlers but you can never win a test match without getting 20 wickets.

Party Elephant
02-21-2016, 10:35 PM
It's all about the depth in test cricket. NZ has two or three guys who can put up a 100 while the Aussies have 4 or 5.

Also, taking wickets is a huge problem for the Kiwis. You can dominate T20 and ODI without having wicket taking bowlers but you can never win a test match without getting 20 wickets.
Too true. Wagner did well today getting 4 straight on those pull shots, but that was more smart fielding than anything.

GirlySports
02-23-2016, 06:53 AM
NZ did the best they could, led by 200

Party Elephant
02-24-2016, 01:39 AM
Well done to Australia, they are on a whole other level in test cricket.

Looking forward to World T20 in a couple weeks!

robaur
02-27-2016, 02:46 AM
nvm....edit.

Da_Chief
02-27-2016, 06:16 AM
T20 between Pakistan and India about to begin in 10 minutes.

ClubFlames
02-27-2016, 06:04 PM
India wins a tense, low scoring match against Pakistan.

Da_Chief
02-27-2016, 06:17 PM
Typical Pakistan's brutal batting.

Congrats India.

Party Elephant
02-28-2016, 12:01 AM
Can you guys recommend any good sites for cricket highlights and news? I'm only following the blackcaps so I don't get a lot of world cricket news.

ClubFlames
02-28-2016, 11:59 AM
www.cricinfo.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/willow for highlights. They don't cover every series but it's the only one I know.

ClubFlames
03-06-2016, 02:20 PM
India wins the Asia Cup beating Bangladesh by 8 wickets.

T20 World Cup starts on Tuesday, March 8.

FireGilbert
03-06-2016, 02:54 PM
India wins the Asia Cup beating Bangladesh by 8 wickets.

T20 World Cup starts on Tuesday, March 8.

I'm really trying to get excited about this but it is not coming easy.

India is by far the best T20 team right now and have the advantage of playing at home. It seems like a forgone conclusion they will win.

Da_Chief
03-06-2016, 08:34 PM
I'm really trying to get excited about this but it is not coming easy.

India is by far the best T20 team right now and have the advantage of playing at home. It seems like a forgone conclusion they will win.

Aussies, New Zealand, South Africa even English and Windies have a chance. They could win but not even close to a forgone conclusion. Aussies just chased 204 vs Saffies this morning. In a 20 over match anything can happen.

FireGilbert
03-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Aussies, New Zealand, South Africa even English and Windies have a chance. They could win but not even close to a forgone conclusion. Aussies just chased 204 vs Saffies this morning. In a 20 over match anything can happen.

I agree that anything can happen in T20 however India recently destroyed Australia in Australia, I don't see the Aussies standing much of a chance at beating them in India.

Resolute 14
03-07-2016, 04:10 PM
So apparently Sportsnet is going to broadcast some matches from this tournament, but damned if I can find a schedule.

ClubFlames
03-09-2016, 09:44 AM
So apparently Sportsnet is going to broadcast some matches from this tournament, but damned if I can find a schedule.

I couldn't find anything that said Sportsnet will be carrying any games, any links?

Da_Chief
03-09-2016, 09:49 AM
Sportsnet is definitely carrying selected games, but no idea what the schedule is.

FlamesNation23
03-14-2016, 09:00 PM
So does anyone know the Sportsnet schedule? I cant find it anywhere

ClubFlames
03-15-2016, 08:35 AM
No idea about the Sportsnet schedule.

India vs New Zealand on right now though. Evenly played match so far with Kiwis batting first.

NZ is 42/3 in 8 overs.

Da_Chief
03-15-2016, 10:50 AM
NZ only managed to get 126.

IND have been rocked by NZ spin; 53-7 after 13 overs BUT they still have Dhoni at the crease.

In for a good finish.

ClubFlames
03-15-2016, 10:57 AM
India's top order failed them big time today. Oh well, still match 1 and NZ is a good team. As long as Dhoni is there still have hope.

Da_Chief
03-15-2016, 11:10 AM
Dhoni out, game, set, match. NZ win the opener.

Da_Chief
03-15-2016, 11:32 AM
So does anyone know the Sportsnet schedule? I cant find it anywhere

It's not longer showing on the list.

http://www.totalsportek.com/cricket/icc-world-twenty20-2016-tv-channels/

Only way to watch it via monthly subscription via WillowTV

http://www.willow.tv/EventMgmt/Default_C.asp

There are couple streaming sites. I can't post them. You can PM me if you're interested.

Party Elephant
03-15-2016, 03:57 PM
I'm assuming that because of the heat and humidity in India the spin bowlers have a bit more of an edge, but this is the first time I've ever seen NZ put 3 spin bowlers in their lineup while also leaving their two best pace bowlers, Boult and Southee, on the bench. It paid off though as Santner, Sodhi and N McCullum were brilliant.

Da_Chief
03-15-2016, 04:37 PM
South Asian pitches are usually spin friendly, they don't have a lot of bounce to them but they do turn a lot. Thats why NZ used spin today.

Pitches in Australia/NZ/SA/England are more pace friendly.

Wahab Riaz (150 kph) has a brilliant fast bowling spell during last ODI world cup in Aus-NZ. I doubt you'll see anything like that during this T20 in India.

ClubFlames
03-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Pakistan demolished Bangladesh by 55 runs.

England vs West Indies on right now. England batted first and have a good score of 182. West Indies can only hope Chris Gayle plays like the "good" Chris Gayle to beat that.

ClubFlames
03-16-2016, 11:32 AM
So Chris Gayle did end up playing like the "good" Chris Gayle, 100 off 48 balls. Third fastest in T20 history. West Indies beat England easily.

FireGilbert
03-18-2016, 05:02 AM
Big game right now between the Aussies and Kiwis. NZ got off to a flying start with the bats but had a bit of a collapse before recovering for a respectable 142. It should be a close chase!

http://images.scribblelive.com/2016/3/18/809020fe-8cde-43bb-9975-a433cb4847fb.jpg

Da_Chief
03-18-2016, 06:58 AM
Black Caps win by 8, move to 2-0. Surprisingly India and Aus both winless after playing 1 game each, both losing to those pesky Black Caps.

ClubFlames
03-18-2016, 11:34 AM
What a match between England and South Africa.

SA - 229 for 4
England - 230 for 8

Da_Chief
03-18-2016, 06:35 PM
I think Dale Steyn's time is coming to an end, especially in the limited overs game. Was a class bowler but injuries and age seem to be catching up to him now. Probably the top bowler of his time.

FireGilbert
03-19-2016, 12:02 AM
NZ has pretty much already clinched a semi spot after 2 games. Their bowling has been superb.

I can't believe England came back, I assumed it was over when SA was easily cruising past 200. It was the highest run chase ever!

India vs Pakistan tonight should be a good one.

Party Elephant
03-19-2016, 06:05 PM
India bounces back with a win over Pakistan. This group is going to be tight, it might come down to net run rate for who advances

ClubFlames
03-22-2016, 01:04 PM
Kiwis are through to the Semi-Finals by easily beating Pakistan by 22 runs.

Party Elephant
03-22-2016, 10:54 PM
Kiwis are through to the Semi-Finals by easily beating Pakistan by 22 runs.

Kane Williamson's record as captain in all formats is now 8-1, the only loss in a T20 against Pakistan in January.

I'm not sure how to embed non-youtube videos, but here is the highlight package from the game:
http://www.icc-cricket.com/world-t20/videos/media/id/7909/match-highlights-nz-v-pak

ClubFlames
03-23-2016, 11:48 AM
Holy crap! India beat Bangladesh by 1 run!

India - 146/7
Bangladesh - 145/9

Last over, last 3 balls - 3 wickets gone for Bangladesh.

Da_Chief
03-23-2016, 11:49 AM
What a choke job.

Party Elephant
03-23-2016, 11:47 PM
Oh my. I just watched the highlights. That's an epic collapse.

ClubFlames
03-27-2016, 11:29 AM
Brilliant innings by Virat Kohli as India beat Australia and move on to the Semi Finals. Best batsman in the world.

India vs West Indies
England vs New Zealand

Da_Chief
03-27-2016, 01:07 PM
He's at a different level right now. AB/Root/Kane are really good Kohli is at en elite on his own. What a player.

FireGilbert
03-27-2016, 04:54 PM
As predicted Kohli and the Indians were too much for the Aussies at home. It was a good effort by Australia but in the end they just don't have the quality spin bowling you need to win in the Subcontinent.

Also, the big news of the day is Afghanistan beating the Windies! I know the Windies has a reputation for not showing up in meaningless games but this is still a huge upset. Actually, I think I've found a winning strategy for Australia going forward: entice Afghan bowlers to move to Australia.

oilyfan
03-27-2016, 08:25 PM
Great, cool under pressure, innings by Viraat Kohli! Should be an interesting game against the West Indies now, but India has the momentum.

Party Elephant
03-27-2016, 09:46 PM
Pretty excited for the semi finals, but damn, New Zealand's starts at 230 AM here. Oh well, such is life

ClubFlames
03-30-2016, 01:25 PM
England beat the Kiwis rather easily to advance to the Finals.

NZ - 153/8 in 20 overs
England - 159/3 in 17.1 overs

India vs West Indies tomorrow in the other Semi-Final.

FireGilbert
03-30-2016, 05:08 PM
Wow, the Kiwis looked so good in the tournament, I did not think they would crash out that badly.

It was certainly an odd decision to not start with the spin bowlers, the game was pretty much over after England's first 5 overs.

oilyfan
03-30-2016, 09:21 PM
Yeah the kiwis tried to outmuscle the English with pace, but that was the wrong track to do it on. Good for England, they have had a rough time in the recent past.

endeavor
03-31-2016, 11:06 AM
WI beat India in a thriller!

Was definitely expecting an India-NZ final.

ClubFlames
03-31-2016, 11:23 AM
West Indies with power hitting advance through to the Finals.

I think they win it all.

FireGilbert
03-31-2016, 10:22 PM
Well I was wrong about the Indians. I want to call them big chokers but to be fair the Windies are a great team who are probably the best in the world a chasing down a big total.

ClubFlames
04-03-2016, 11:09 AM
West Indies win the T20 World Cup beating England in grand fashion. Last over 19 needed, Carlos Brathwaite (no relation to Freddie ;)) hits 4 straight sixes to end it.

Deserved winners.

endeavor
04-03-2016, 11:13 AM
West Indies had a great tourney, both the men's and women's teams won the title.

Da_Chief
04-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Windies on a roll now. Titles in U19, Women's T20, Men's T20...Good for them. Hopefully they become a force in world cricket again.

Da_Chief
04-03-2016, 08:21 PM
gT8cLYrJwwQ

DJ Bravo -Champion. Really catchy tune. Pays homage to Micheal Jordan, Mandela, Brian Lara, Serena Williams, Usain Bolt amongst others.

Fitting after their recent LOI run.

You Need a Thneed
05-14-2016, 11:10 AM
Ok, why did that game have to be at 4:30 in the morning?

FireGilbert
11-23-2016, 05:35 AM
Another day/night pink ball test match starts in Adelaide tomorrow between the Aussies and South Africa. This was very entertaining last year and I hope one day all test matches are day/nighters.

Unfortunately the match might be a bit of a blow out. The Proteas absolutely embarrassed the hosts in the first two matches which has caused the Australian selectors to panic and select 4 uncapped players for this one.

GirlySports
11-23-2016, 09:04 AM
I have a question for you cricket experts. The England/India match a few days ago, England were 400 down with 5 sessions to go. Why did they try to block for 5 sessions for a draw? is that even realistic? I think if they just bat out normally or even accelerate, they could at least have a chance to win. 400 isn't that much in today's cricket.

ClubFlames
11-23-2016, 09:12 AM
I have a question for you cricket experts. The England/India match a few days ago, England were 400 down with 5 sessions to go. Why did they try to block for 5 sessions for a draw? is that even realistic? I think if they just bat out normally or even accelerate, they could at least have a chance to win. 400 isn't that much in today's cricket.

England tried to prolong the innings by frustrating Indian bowling attack but that backfired considering the pitch deteriorated considerably and it became bowler friendly. The spin bowlers India has are world class (Ashwin especially) so that was a brutal tactic as hardly anyone can survive them on Indian pitches for long.

Da_Chief
11-23-2016, 09:37 AM

The main issue was the 5th day, they probably could've had a go at it on the 4th day but the pitch would've been much worse (as ClubFlames said) on the 5th day. So going for it would've resulted in quick wickets.

In the end it didn't matter. Ashwin is a world class bowler but the rest are not, put them anywhere outside of Indian pitches and they'll struggle to contain runs let alone get wickets. That's not to say some of the others also won't struggle. Yasir is struggling in New Zealand right now but that is expected. I'd probably say only Yasir, Ashwin and Herath are world class spinners at the moment.

GirlySports
11-23-2016, 01:11 PM
maybe be more aggressive in the overs Ashwin is not bowling?
they should have gone for it on the 4th day. i just can't see blocking for 5 sessions for a draw as a viable solution unless rain is in the forecast.

Da_Chief
11-23-2016, 04:39 PM
maybe be more aggressive in the overs Ashwin is not bowling?
they should have gone for it on the 4th day. i just can't see blocking for 5 sessions for a draw as a viable solution unless rain is in the forecast.

Well like mentioned before hitting indian spinners in India is not easy, they're so used to the condition. So, if its spin after spin then its hard, plus the tracks for totally spin friendly.

FireGilbert
11-23-2016, 06:48 PM
There has been some debate lately about the away team automatically winning the toss in order to prevent teams (ie. India) from doctoring the pitches to their advantage. I think it is a great idea.

GirlySports
11-23-2016, 09:41 PM
i dont think South Africa is seeing the pink ball very well :P

Party Elephant
11-24-2016, 12:08 AM
The main issue was the 5th day, they probably could've had a go at it on the 4th day but the pitch would've been much worse (as ClubFlames said) on the 5th day. So going for it would've resulted in quick wickets.

In the end it didn't matter. Ashwin is a world class bowler but the rest are not, put them anywhere outside of Indian pitches and they'll struggle to contain runs let alone get wickets. That's not to say some of the others also won't struggle. Yasir is struggling in New Zealand right now but that is expected. I'd probably say only Yasir, Ashwin and Herath are world class spinners at the moment.

What were your thoughts on that match, I'm guessing you watched it?

From a New Zealand perspective it was great to see some new faces make an impact for once. de Grandhomme's bowling figures were a national record for a test debut! I don't know much about the Pakistan team though.

Party Elephant
11-24-2016, 12:11 AM
Another day/night pink ball test match starts in Adelaide tomorrow between the Aussies and South Africa. This was very entertaining last year and I hope one day all test matches are day/nighters.

Unfortunately the match might be a bit of a blow out. The Proteas absolutely embarrassed the hosts in the first two matches which has caused the Australian selectors to panic and select 4 uncapped players for this one.

Why is it they're playing the day/nighter in Adelaide again? I would have thought they'd draw more interest spreading it around to Melbourne or Sydney, and also the night sessions must run pretty late for east coast tv viewers.

FireGilbert
11-24-2016, 05:32 AM
Why is it they're playing the day/nighter in Adelaide again? I would have thought they'd draw more interest spreading it around to Melbourne or Sydney, and also the night sessions must run pretty late for east coast tv viewers.

It is the perfect timing for a day/nighter as kids are still in school and everyone is at work. The Melbourne and Sydney tests take place on Boxing Day and Jan 3rd respectively when school is out and most of the country is on vacation.

Also, Adelaide is only 0.5 hours behind Sydney and Melbourne and is actually 0.5 hours ahead of Brisbane (which makes zero sense when you look at a map of Australia but is because of Queensland's refusal to adopt DST) so it doesn't run late at all.

Anyways, South Africa rebounded from a poor start to put up 259 and Australia is 0/14 at stumps. This should be a good one.

Da_Chief
11-24-2016, 06:40 AM
What were your thoughts on that match, I'm guessing you watched it?

From a New Zealand perspective it was great to see some new faces make an impact for once. de Grandhomme's bowling figures were a national record for a test debut! I don't know much about the Pakistan team though.

Watched a bit here and there. Like you said, de Grandhomme had an amazing debut. Raval played extremely well, he was the difference.

Pakistan's lineup struggled as usual on a bouncy track but none of the batsmen showed positive intent, it was block, block till they got out.

Azhar is taking over the captaincy for the 2nd test, Misbah's father-in-law passed so he went back home (he was already getting suspended for slow blowing rate in the first match).

Hopefully second match it longer then 3 days and more of a contest.

Party Elephant
11-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Hopefully second match it longer then 3 days and more of a contest.

Hope so. Trent Bolt is out nursing an injury so the Pakistan batsmen have one less weapon to worry about.

FireGilbert
11-25-2016, 03:39 AM
Cricket's best named player and damn good wicket keeper Quinton de Kock has been the subject of some interesting puns:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/quinton-de-kock-just-invites-puns-galore/news-story/162109a54f9e5602b3890128cc03fa14

A few good ones:

De Kock's gone off early... don't worry mate, happens to every man occasionally, nothing to be ashamed of.

de Kock loves a pull

In fairness to De Kock, it's come to light that he got out in memory of Harambe. Just to restate that: De Kock got out for Harambe.

Party Elephant
11-28-2016, 10:06 PM
Wow, what a finish in Hamilton!

Pakistan had the final day to chase down 359. At one point they were 131 without loss after 60 overs and a draw looked certain. Then New Zealand buckled down to take all 10 wickets, including 3 in the final 3 overs, to win the test and take the series 2-0. Should be a big push for NZ's rankings as Pakistan were ranked #2 heading in.

FireGilbert
11-30-2016, 05:02 PM
Wow, what a finish in Hamilton!

Pakistan had the final day to chase down 359. At one point they were 131 without loss after 60 overs and a draw looked certain. Then New Zealand buckled down to take all 10 wickets, including 3 in the final 3 overs, to win the test and take the series 2-0. Should be a big push for NZ's rankings as Pakistan were ranked #2 heading in.

That sounds like an amazing finish. Why wasn't Pakistan more aggressive though? 4 runs an over isn't totally ridiculous. Serves them right for going for the draw and losing anyways.

Also, Australia and New Zealand will be starting a one day series on Sunday with games in Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne. If the Kiwis sweep the series they will replace Australia as the #1 ODI side.

I'm not sure what the Aussie schedulers were thinking though putting a ODI series in between the South Africa and Pakistan tests. We will see if that backfires on them. Also, the Australians will be going red ball -> pink ball -> white ball -> pink ball -> red ball which can't be that easy.

Party Elephant
12-01-2016, 11:07 PM
That sounds like an amazing finish. Why wasn't Pakistan more aggressive though? 4 runs an over isn't totally ridiculous. Serves them right for going for the draw and losing anyways.

Also, Australia and New Zealand will be starting a one day series on Sunday with games in Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne. If the Kiwis sweep the series they will replace Australia as the #1 ODI side.

I'm not sure what the Aussie schedulers were thinking though putting a ODI series in between the South Africa and Pakistan tests. We will see if that backfires on them. Also, the Australians will be going red ball -> pink ball -> white ball -> pink ball -> red ball which can't be that easy.
Pakistan had been batting some pretty low totals throughout the series, I don't think they got more than 250 in an innings so 359 was a big chase for them. Their openers did well for most of the day but once the floodgates opened...

I'm cautiously looking forward to the ODI series but have a feeling it's going to be a reality check for the kiwis much like their last game at the MCG. Hope I'm wrong.

FireGilbert
12-06-2016, 05:08 PM
I'm cautiously looking forward to the ODI series but have a feeling it's going to be a reality check for the kiwis much like their last game at the MCG. Hope I'm wrong.

You were right New Zealand has been getting smashed losing by 68 in Sydney and 116 in Canberra. I thought the Kiwis would have a chance at winning in Canberra as it is a smaller field similar to those in NZ however they made a very odd choice to field first and had to chase a very good 378.

Party Elephant
12-06-2016, 06:48 PM
You were right New Zealand has been getting smashed losing by 68 in Sydney and 116 in Canberra. I thought the Kiwis would have a chance at winning in Canberra as it is a smaller field similar to those in NZ however they made a very odd choice to field first and had to chase a very good 378.
Yeah those two games were good for raising the old blood pressure. Sloppy bowling and fielding did us in both times leading to ridiculous run chases. It will probably be more of the same at the G on Friday. Not to take anything away from the aussies as they've been fantastic. But the decision to bowl first was definitely questionable.

There have been some moments of encouragement for nz such as Guptill's century, but on the whole they've just been making too many mistakes and paying for them dearly.

I'm glad to see Guptill is still awesome in the one day format despite his awful test batting. He's the kind of batsmen that needs to play it in the air or he's useless.

FireGilbert
12-12-2016, 03:46 PM
Cricket's first ever field side pool has been installed at the Gabba in Brisbane for use in the day/night test against Pakistan starting on Thursday.

http://rsn.net.au/rsn/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Pool-Deck-at-the-Gabba-2-730x424.jpg

Props to the Aussies for leading the way in innovations to increase attendance to test matches.

Party Elephant
12-13-2016, 12:08 AM
Cricket's first ever field side pool has been installed at the Gabba in Brisbane for use in the day/night test against Pakistan starting on Thursday.

http://rsn.net.au/rsn/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Pool-Deck-at-the-Gabba-2-730x424.jpg

Props to the Aussies for leading the way in innovations to increase attendance to test matches.

Damn, I wonder what tickets in that section are going for! Get drunk by the pool with the cricket on? Yes please!

FireGilbert
12-13-2016, 01:40 AM
Damn, I wonder what tickets in that section are going for! Get drunk by the pool with the cricket on? Yes please!

No pool tickets for sale. Fans who show up wearing swim gear will be randomly selected to go to the pool deck for one of two 3.5 hour sessions. Such an awesome idea.

Party Elephant
12-13-2016, 02:27 PM
No pool tickets for sale. Fans who show up wearing swim gear will be randomly selected to go to the pool deck for one of two 3.5 hour sessions. Such an awesome idea.
Queeeeeeeeeeeenslaaaaaaaaaand!

FireGilbert
12-13-2016, 05:04 PM
Haha, it is actually Queeeeeeeeeeenslaaaaaaanderrrr! but close enough. You also have to say in an Aussie bogan accent.

GirlySports
12-14-2016, 09:57 PM
I tuned in and Pakistan got 2 quick wickets. Maybe I'm their good luck charm :)

FireGilbert
12-18-2016, 09:26 PM
Wow what an epic finish in Brisbane. Pakistan almost completed the greatest comeback in cricket history, putting up 450 second innings runs, but came up short losing by 39.

This was almost a massive choke by Australia who made some questionable decisions not enforcing the follow on and then declaring too soon.

ClubFlames
12-20-2016, 10:48 AM
India wins the test series against England 4-0 by winning the last Test match by an innings and 75 runs. India was pretty dominant throughout the series in every aspect.

Karun Nair scored an amazing 303* and became only the third batsman in history to convert his maiden Test ton into a triple. In the same inning Lokesh Rahul missed his double century by 1 run. Jadeja finished off the England side in the second innings by taking 7 for 48, establishing himself as one of the top spinners in the world.

Now rest for almost a month as they play their ODI series starting January 15.

ClubFlames
12-22-2016, 09:42 AM
http://icc-live.s3.amazonaws.com/cms/media/images/630x420/78491.jpg

http://icc-live.s3.amazonaws.com/cms/media/images/1200x800/78508.jpg

ClubFlames
12-22-2016, 09:44 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0Rc5woWQAE4G2t.jpg

FireGilbert
12-28-2016, 09:40 PM
I know there are a few IPL fans here but is anyone able to follow the Australian T20 Big Bash League?

It started out as a poorly attended IPL wannabe but in five years has become the 7th highest average attendance league in the world (NFL is 1 and IPL is 5).

GirlySports
12-29-2016, 08:54 AM
T20 is a great fan-friendly event. Lots of excitement packed in 3 hours.

Australian big bash and IPL are hard to watch due to the time difference. My favorite one is the Caribbean League that runs in September. They give fans in crowd $1000 for catching a 6 one handed.

FireGilbert
12-30-2016, 12:02 AM
Australia beats Pakistan again in a rain effected match which seemed like a guaranteed draw.

Pakistan was way too conservative batting in their first innings and then completely fell apart in their second. Australia on the other hand played exciting aggressive cricket and posted their best ever total at the MCG.

Party Elephant
12-30-2016, 09:41 PM
I know there are a few IPL fans here but is anyone able to follow the Australian T20 Big Bash League?

It started out as a poorly attended IPL wannabe but in five years has become the 7th highest average attendance league in the world (NFL is 1 and IPL is 5).

One of my coworkers keeps harping on about it so I'll probably watch a game or two. I saw McCullum hit 72 for Brisbane the other night - I may have to start supporting them because of him. Still got it!

In other news, New Zealand are poised to sweep their 3 game ODI series with Bangladesh. The second game was close until Bangladesh had a brutal batting collapse, but the first and third games have been relative walkovers.

FireGilbert
12-31-2016, 12:22 AM
^I'm a Heat fan too!

Did you see Chris Lynn hit the biggest 6 in history?

BtP-O9FP97g

The first cricket match I ever attended was a BBL game at the Gabba. We were sitting in the top level and I asked buddy beside me if it was possible for a ball to be hit to us. His response was not likely. Of course later in the game Nathan Coulter-Nile proceeded to smash a 6 2 rows in front of me. It was up there with Al MacInnis breaking the glass and a Joe Carter HR as the most impressive thing I have ever seen live at a sporting event.

Of course that pales in comparison to actually hitting it out of the Gabba. Amazing!

Party Elephant
12-31-2016, 12:31 AM
^I'm a Heat fan too!

Did you see Chris Lynn hit the biggest 6 in history?

BtP-O9FP97g

The first cricket match I ever attended was a BBL game at the Gabba. We were sitting in the top level and I asked buddy beside me if it was possible for a ball to be hit to us. His response was not likely. Of course later in the game Nathan Coulter-Nile proceeded to smash a 6 2 rows in front of me. It was up there with Al MacInnis breaking the glass and a Joe Carter HR as the most impressive thing I have ever seen live at a sporting event.

Of course that pales in comparison to actually hitting it out of the Gabba. Amazing!

Shot!

Party Elephant
12-31-2016, 12:38 AM
T20 is a great fan-friendly event. Lots of excitement packed in 3 hours.

Australian big bash and IPL are hard to watch due to the time difference. My favorite one is the Caribbean League that runs in September. They give fans in crowd $1000 for catching a 6 one handed.

I recently learned that Canada's captain, Nitish Kumar, plays for St. Lucia in the CPL. It is very hard to find info about cricket in Canada btw, holy cow.

FireGilbert
01-03-2017, 01:05 AM
David Warner just became the 5th test cricketer in history, and first in 40 years, to post 100 before lunch. It was also the first ever time it has been accomplished on a day 1.

Such an exciting batsman and a major reason I became a cricket fan.

Party Elephant
01-03-2017, 07:57 PM
David Warner just became the 5th test cricketer in history, and first in 40 years, to post 100 before lunch. It was also the first ever time it has been accomplished on a day 1.

Such an exciting batsman and a major reason I became a cricket fan.
He is unreal lately. Probably the most frustrating player to watch when you're a fan of the opposing team.

GirlySports
01-05-2017, 01:19 PM
WALK OFF!!!

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/gxrga

FireGilbert
01-09-2017, 04:11 PM
WALK OFF!!!

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/gxrga

That was a epic game, and the Thunder's first win of the season.

What was the bowler thinking though, he should have pulled a Trevor Chappell :whistle:

K65_spUU05s

FireGilbert
01-16-2017, 09:11 PM
Wow, this was scary! You see players losing bats all the time in baseball but I've never seen it in cricket.

_N3F6b18mZQ

Thankfully the wicket keeper Peter Nevill seems to be okay although he is still undergoing testing to determine if swelling in his cheek is being caused by a hairline fracture or a burst blood vessel.

ClubFlames
01-19-2017, 09:41 AM
A great match between India and England.

India was 25/3 at one point but the grizzled veterans Dhoni (134 off 122 balls) and Yuvraj (150 off 127 balls) came through with an epic partnership of 256 runs and India ended up with a score of 381/6. England almost chased it down with an amazing innings by Morgan (102 off 81 balls) but ended up only 15 runs short.

India - 381/6
England - 366/8

Party Elephant
01-19-2017, 11:56 PM
A great match between India and England.

India was 25/3 at one point but the grizzled veterans Dhoni (134 off 122 balls) and Yuvraj (150 off 127 balls) came through with an epic partnership of 256 runs and India ended up with a score of 381/6. England almost chased it down with an amazing innings by Morgan (102 off 81 balls) but ended up only 15 runs short.

India - 381/6
England - 366/8

I just caught the end of it at work this morning. Looked like one hell of an atmosphere.

FireGilbert
01-25-2017, 05:32 AM
Brisbane loses a super over heart breaker to the Sydney Sixers in the BBL semis to top off a bad day in sports for me :(

The final is in Perth on Saturday between the Sixers and the Scorchers. Perth is possibly the best T20 team in the world having appeared in 5 of 6 BBL finals.

FireGilbert
01-26-2017, 06:33 AM
Another crazy David Warner stat: he has just matched Sachin Tendulkar as the only batsmen in ODI history to have 5 totals over 150. Tendulkar played in 463 ODIs while Warner has played in 93!

Party Elephant
01-26-2017, 12:12 PM
Another crazy David Warner stat: he has just matched Sachin Tendulkar as the only batsmen in ODI history to have 5 totals over 150. Tendulkar played in 463 ODIs while Warner has played in 93!
That is insane. I'm glad he's getting rested for the Chappell Hadlee series

FireGilbert
01-30-2017, 12:49 AM
That is insane. I'm glad he's getting rested for the Chappell Hadlee series

Looked like an amazing finish today. Nice of the Aussies to let you guys win every once in a while ;)

Party Elephant
01-30-2017, 12:58 AM
Looked like an amazing finish today. Nice of the Aussies to let you guys win every once in a while ;)

You know, I was watching all day and only missed the last 20 or so overs so I figured it was in the bag, but I see this Stoinis kid just started raining 6s the minute I left work. One more and he would've won the game single handedly. He even took 3 wickets!

FireGilbert
01-30-2017, 03:13 AM
You know, I was watching all day and only missed the last 20 or so overs so I figured it was in the bag, but I see this Stoinis kid just started raining 6s the minute I left work. One more and he would've won the game single handedly. He even took 3 wickets!

It was millimeters away from being the greatest comeback ever. Don't worry I would have stopped watching too.

What a performance by Stoinis. It was the highest run score in Australian history, and 2nd highest all time, while also taking 3 wickets. To make it more incredible he was playing in only his 2nd ODI!

Da_Chief
01-30-2017, 08:35 AM
That was an epic inning by Stoinis, had he brought it home it would've been the greatest ODI innings ever.

The amazing part was in a 50 run, 10th wicket partnership he didn't even let Hazelwood face a delivery.

What a knock, hate the aussies but was rooting for him to take it home.

Also, was it me or was it a small ground? seemed like 6s were flying off of his bat and way back into the crowd.

Party Elephant
01-30-2017, 02:28 PM
That was an epic inning by Stoinis, had he brought it home it would've been the greatest ODI innings ever.

The amazing part was in a 50 run, 10th wicket partnership he didn't even let Hazelwood face a delivery.

What a knock, hate the aussies but was rooting for him to take it home.

Also, was it me or was it a small ground? seemed like 6s were flying off of his bat and way back into the crowd.

Yeah Eden Park has pretty funny boundaries, particularly the straight ones which are barely 50m. It's a really awkward orientation since they run the pitch perpendicular to the rugby ground rather than parallel. The next venue, McLean Park in Napier, does the opposite so the longer boundary is down the ground.

FireGilbert
01-30-2017, 02:32 PM

It was played at Eden Park in Auckland which is a rugby stadium, not a cricket ground. You may remember it was also raining 6s there during the last World Cup.

The distance to the straight boundary is only 55m which is way below the ICC mandate of 64m. They can only host internationals due to a grandfathering clause allowing stadiums which had internationals played prior to 2007 to be exempt from the updated standards.

Party Elephant
01-30-2017, 02:50 PM
It was played at Eden Park in Auckland which is a rugby stadium, not a cricket ground. You may remember it was also raining 6s there during the last World Cup.

The distance to the straight boundary is only 55m which is way below the ICC mandate of 64m. They can only host internationals due to a grandfathering clause allowing stadiums which had internationals played prior to 2007 to be exempt from the updated standards.

Interesting, I was not aware of that. It's surprising that a city the size of Auckland doesn't have a proper large cricket venue despite 3 large rugby stadiums. And since we're talking about Eden Park I'm just going to post this...
V0RA7vepnuU

FireGilbert
01-30-2017, 07:44 PM
Interesting, I was not aware of that. It's surprising that a city the size of Auckland doesn't have a proper large cricket venue despite 3 large rugby stadiums. And since we're talking about Eden Park I'm just going to post this...
V0RA7vepnuU

Yet Wellington, the capital, has a proper cricket ground but not a proper rectangular rugby field. Odd.

That was such an amazing game. Of course South Africa continued their reputation of choking in the World Cup.

FireGilbert
02-02-2017, 02:40 AM
I was hoping to watch cricket after the Flames game but for some reason the match in Napier was washed out even though it stopped raining before the start time. To quote Aussie captain Aaron Finch:

We don’t have footy boots on. It’s very easy for your feet to slip out from underneath you ... and with standing water there, if someone’s diving, they’re just going to dig into the outfield. I haven’t seen it (a cricket field drain) that slow before

What the hell New Zealand? First ODI at a rugby stadium and second ODI at a swamp. Hopefully they can get it right the third time.

ClubFlames
02-02-2017, 09:06 AM
Crazy T20 match between India and England yesterday. India made a total of 202 for 6 in 20 overs. England started the chase well and were 119 for 2 at one point but end up losing 8 wickets for 8 runs in a matter of 18 balls!

Party Elephant
02-02-2017, 10:14 PM
I was hoping to watch cricket after the Flames game but for some reason the match in Napier was washed out even though it stopped raining before the start time. To quote Aussie captain Aaron Finch:

What the hell New Zealand? First ODI at a rugby stadium and second ODI at a swamp. Hopefully they can get it right the third time.

Yep there's talk that they may pull Napier's ODI against South Africa in march. Apparently the pitch has some serious drainage issues and this has happened twice before in recent years so Napier may be done as a cricket venue for a while. Don't worry, the next game is at Seddon Park in Hamilton which is a proper round cricket oval, and the forecast is for sun and high of 28 on sunday!

Party Elephant
02-02-2017, 10:16 PM
Crazy T20 match between India and England yesterday. India made a total of 202 for 6 in 20 overs. England started the chase well and were 119 for 2 at one point but end up losing 8 wickets for 8 runs in a matter of 18 balls!

You reckon the England players threw in the towel with the series being already lost?

ClubFlames
02-03-2017, 08:56 AM
You reckon the England players threw in the towel with the series being already lost?

No, the series was tied 1-1 and that was the deciding game. They were pretty comfortable and I surely thought they would have chased that total down easily.

FireGilbert
02-03-2017, 01:51 PM
Yep there's talk that they may pull Napier's ODI against South Africa in march. Apparently the pitch has some serious drainage issues and this has happened twice before in recent years so Napier may be done as a cricket venue for a while. Don't worry, the next game is at Seddon Park in Hamilton which is a proper round cricket oval, and the forecast is for sun and high of 28 on sunday!

I wasn't really that upset but can't miss an opportunity to rip on New Zealand. I'd also take Oz being as progressive as NZ in a heartbeat over having superior cricket grounds.

I'll definitely watch some of the final ODI but to be honest one dayers are my least favourite form of cricket and I seem to be losing more intrest in them every year. I wouldn't lose any sleep if they slowly went away and we got to see more Tests and T20s.

Party Elephant
02-05-2017, 04:27 PM
And it's a series sweep for the kiwis. Shame the aussies didn't bring their full squad though.

FireGilbert
02-05-2017, 10:48 PM
And it's a series sweep for the kiwis. Shame the aussies didn't bring their full squad though.

Yeah it was the Aussie B team with their 4th choice captain. The Australians play a ton of ODI cricket though so I can't say I blame them for giving some key players a break.

So it looks like major changes at the ICC that will remove power from the big 3 (India, England and Australia). This is much needed. A few interesting points include a new financial system with more equitable distribution and the possibility of Ireland and Afghanistan becoming test nations. There is also a great proposal to change the international scheduling and championship structure:

-Nine-team Test league run over a two year cycle
-Remaining three Test teams to be guaranteed a consistent and confirmed schedule of Test matches against all other teams
-13 team ODI league run over a three year period leading into qualification for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023
-Regional T20 competition structure to be developed as a pathway to qualification for the ICC World T20

https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/323637

FireGilbert
02-25-2017, 04:30 AM
The Aussies have absolutely smashed India in the first match of their 4 test tour winning by 333 before the end of the 3rd day! This was a very surprising result as Australia is a distant 2nd in the test rankings, hadn't won in India in over 12 years, and India was on a 20 match home unbeaten streak. They were led by Steve O’Keefe who posted an amazing 12-70 which was the greatest ever performance by a visiting spinner on the sub-continent. India could not get anything going posting 105 in the first innings and 107 in the second.

Party Elephant
02-25-2017, 11:02 PM
The Aussies have absolutely smashed India in the first match of their 4 test tour winning by 333 before the end of the 3rd day! This was a very surprising result as Australia is a distant 2nd in the test rankings, hadn't won in India in over 12 years, and India was on a 20 match home unbeaten streak. They were led by Steve O’Keefe who posted an amazing 12-70 which was the greatest ever performance by a visiting spinner on the sub-continent. India could not get anything going posting 105 in the first innings and 107 in the second.

Shocking result to say the least - I guess Australia have validated their strategy of resting so many key players for the New Zealand and Sri Lanka series. I just hired a dude from India and the sessions are on all through the night here. He was really excited after the first day where they got Australia something like 210/9, but has been more and more upset ever since.

Meanwhile, South Africa's tour of New Zealand has produced two laughers and two really great close games. The T20 was pretty much a walkover for them, then the first two ODIs were decided in the final over with SA winning the first and NZ taking the second. Then yesterday it was a slaughter in Wellington, a 159 run defeat. Martin Guptill will be a godsend on wednesday when he returns from injury.

And I just found out that our local ground here in Queenstown is currently undergoing upgrades with the aim to host international matches next summer, so I could be getting some live cricket right in my backyard! Stoked!

FireGilbert
02-26-2017, 04:11 PM
And I just found out that our local ground here in Queenstown is currently undergoing upgrades with the aim to host international matches next summer, so I could be getting some live cricket right in my backyard! Stoked!

I just google imaged Queenstown cricket ground. That might be the most gorgeous cricket stadium in the world.

Party Elephant
02-26-2017, 09:31 PM
I just google imaged Queenstown cricket ground. That might be the most gorgeous cricket stadium in the world.

Yeah the backdrop's not bad. :cool: I have a membership at the events centre so that's where I go to work out

ClubFlames
03-01-2017, 11:33 AM
I know I am late but that was a pathetic performance by India. Over confidence killed them in the Test.

FireGilbert
03-01-2017, 03:54 PM
I know I am late but that was a pathetic performance by India. Over confidence killed them in the Test.

It was even more pathetic when you consider the match was played on a cracked dusty "eighth day" wicket that should have given India an advantage. It looks like the curators at Bangalore are pulling out all the stops to make sure this doesn't happen again:

India take metal objects to Bangalore pitch for second Test after Pune minefield blew up in their faces (http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/india-take-screwdrivers-to-bangalore-pitch-for-second-test-after-pune-minefield-blew-up-in-their-faces/news-story/774cb76a661918864c3a442e4ab95082)

Australia is bracing for a war of attrition in Bangalore after paranoid curators used a metal object, hessian bags, hoses and a mystery substance to try to take Mitchell Starc and Steve O’Keefe out of the second Test.

Embarrassed after the debacle in Pune, the BCCI appear hell bent on using any means necessary to manufacture conditions that will set up a brutal five-day battle in the hope it will favour the innate skills and home ground knowledge of the embattled Indians.

In contrast to the crumbly, dust bowl that disintegrated on the spot and played into Australia’s hands in the first Test, the Bangalore centre square looked more like a green monster, but not one that will offer bounce and carry. Instead, it’s a surface purposefully designed to try to silence reverse swing masters Starc and Josh Hazlewood.

I know home field advantage is a thing and the Australian crickets grounds are made purposefully hard and fast to help their bowlers, but the Indian doctoring of the pitches is completely ridiculous and OTT.

Party Elephant
03-07-2017, 11:47 PM
India bounce back with a 75 run victory in the second test. I haven't seen many highlights yet but apparently the DRS came into play several times in the second innings.

And after a 3-2 ODI series win for SA, the first test is now underway in Dunedin. I expect this will be an innings+ victory for South Africa, anything better than that will be a nice surprise. SA stumbled out of the gate at 22/3 but then buckled down with some big partnerships to finish the day at 229/4.

FireGilbert
03-08-2017, 02:32 AM
India bounce back with a 75 run victory in the second test. I haven't seen many highlights yet but apparently the DRS came into play several times in the second innings.

It was a tough loss for the Aussies who had an 87 run first inning league and were left a reasonable total of 187 to chase. DRS definitely came into play a few times. India had been shocking at their reviews and is still getting used to using the system but finally got one right.

The real DRS drama though was between the two captains, Smith and Kohli. Smith was caught technically cheating by looking towards the dressing room while deciding whether to review his dismissal. Smith described it as a brain cramp, while Kohli went on a rant accusing the Aussies of systematically cheating with the DRS by having a player in the dressing room watch the replays and signal to the batsman. In any case this has the potential to blow up and there may be an investigation which could result in major issues for Australia if they were cheating or Kohli if his accusations are found to be baseless.

GirlySports
03-08-2017, 09:14 AM
is there ever an India-Australia series without one captain call the other one a cheat?

agulati
03-08-2017, 09:42 AM
is there ever an India-Australia series without one captain call the other one a cheat?

Technically he didn't use the word "cheat" but yeah, it seems to be the norm in these series now.

FireGilbert
03-20-2017, 05:08 AM
The third test between India and Australia ends in a draw. There was a worry the wicket in Ranchi would be even worse than the first two tests however it was very batter friendly with India answering the Australian first innings of 451 with a 603. The series is still tied at 1 and will be decided in the final match in Dharamsala.

agulati
03-20-2017, 09:33 AM
The third test between India and Australia ends in a draw. There was a worry the wicket in Ranchi would be even worse than the first two tests however it was very batter friendly with India answering the Australian first innings of 451 with a 603. The series is still tied at 1 and will be decided in the final match in Dharamsala.

Great defense by the aussies though, in batting the day out.

ClubFlames
03-20-2017, 09:47 AM
Aussies were in full defense mode but a good test nonetheless.

DJ_NAV
03-24-2017, 05:52 PM
Excited for tonight!!

FireGilbert
03-27-2017, 11:40 PM
India has won the last test by 8 wickets taking the series with Australia 2-1. The Aussies were in good position starting the 2nd innings but collapsed to 137 lead by David Warner who put up a 6 to end his disastrous tour.

Losing 2-1 is still an okay result for Australia as they were expected to lose 4-0 however they will be ruing their lost opportunities in the last three matches which could have gone either way.

I also learned some new cricket terminology. Kuldeep Yadav was making his debut for India and his left handed unorthodox spin bowling is called a Chinaman. My reaction when hearing first hearing the commentators describe it:

https://media.giphy.com/media/142dhzXGA8EsIE/giphy.gif

Party Elephant
03-29-2017, 02:29 AM
Rain ruins a great test up in Hamilton. New Zealand had South Africa on the ropes at 80/5 in their second innings and a lead of over 100, but the last day was disappointingly washed out. But on a positive note, Kane Williamson scored 176 to make his 17th test century, which ties Martin Crowe for the most centuries by any New Zealand player, and also passed 5000 test runs, the youngest NZer to do so. Kane is only 26 years old! Barring significant injuries, he will own every NZ batting record by the time his career is over.

FireGilbert
03-29-2017, 03:50 AM
Rain ruins a great test up in Hamilton. New Zealand had South Africa on the ropes at 80/5 in their second innings and a lead of over 100, but the last day was disappointingly washed out. But on a positive note, Kane Williamson scored 176 to make his 17th test century, which ties Martin Crowe for the most centuries by any New Zealand player, and also passed 5000 test runs, the youngest NZer to do so. Kane is only 26 years old! Barring significant injuries, he will own every NZ batting record by the time his career is over.

The rain in Hamilton also cost Australia 2nd in the test rankings with the draw being enough for South Africa to take their place.

Frequitude
04-23-2017, 08:20 PM
So my Telus subscription seems to have given me all the IPL games on 909. Don't think I've ever watched the sport before but I kinda like it! I think I've watched more cricket this weekend than hockey.

It took a lot of googling to figure out what the hell was going on, but I think I've got the hang of it. Google also reveals a bunch of cricket purists who hate T20, but it sure made it easy for me to get into. I like it a lot. Seems like wickets don't matter though.

Anyone else watching this?

Party Elephant
04-23-2017, 09:17 PM
So my Telus subscription seems to have given me all the IPL games on 909. Don't think I've ever watched the sport before but I kinda like it! I think I've watched more cricket this weekend than hockey.

It took a lot of googling to figure out what the hell was going on, but I think I've got the hang of it. Google also reveals a bunch of cricket purists who hate T20, but it sure made it easy for me to get into. I like it a lot. Seems like wickets don't matter though.

Welcome aboard! Hey, that's how I learned the game too, by watching and googling to understand what was going on. Personally I don't catch much IPL since its on in the middle of the night for me, but high level T20 is definitely a fast and exciting format of the game and it does bring in a lot of new fans. I agree that the wickets don't matter that much (but keep in mind IPL batting lineups are STACKED) and that's the main reason long time cricket fans aren't so keen on it. It is fun to watch them smash it around and put up big scores, but the longer formats require more technique, strategy and stamina.

If you want to ease yourself into the longer forms, I'd recommend watching the Champions Trophy this June. It's soirt of like a mini world cup with only the 8 top ranked countries, playing the 50-over one day international format. It starts right after the IPL wraps up too so if you're hooked and need your fix that should be the natural progression!

bigrangy
04-23-2017, 10:10 PM

Same here, I've been watching a lot of it lately. It seems like RCB just put up an all-time bad performance, pretty neat to have watched that. I also thought wickets didn't matter but they definitely did in that match. I think my favorite team will be PRS for now, love the name.

FireGilbert
04-24-2017, 02:03 AM
Nice to see some new cricket fans! I don't watch much of the IPL due to the time change but love T20. It is a very fan friendly sport with lots of excitement and the shorter length games are a big bonus. Run rate is what matters most although you still need to protect your wickets. Definitely give test cricket a try. It can be dull at times but is a true test of cricket skill and endurance.

flamesforcup
04-24-2017, 04:09 AM
India owns the ICC basically thats why u see them cheating all the time.

Frequitude
04-24-2017, 09:49 AM
Same here, I've been watching a lot of it lately. It seems like RCB just put up an all-time bad performance, pretty neat to have watched that. I also thought wickets didn't matter but they definitely did in that match. I think my favorite team will be PRS for now, love the name.The best match was the RPS / SRH match on Saturday. It came down to the last ball with RPS down by 1 and the guy hit it for 4 for the win. I'm also on the RPS bandwagon. Partly because of that, but mainly because I'm with you that the name Rising Pune Supergiants is the greatest team name in the history of sports.

Frequitude
04-24-2017, 06:22 PM
Our Rising Pune Supergiants are taking on those Mumbai Indians losers tonight. Don't like them because of the flashy gold numbering on their jerseys.

bigrangy
04-24-2017, 07:37 PM
The best match was the RPS / SRH match on Saturday. It came down to the last ball with RPS down by 1 and the guy hit it for 4 for the win. I'm also on the RPS bandwagon. Partly because of that, but mainly because I'm with you that the name Rising Pune Supergiants is the greatest team name in the history of sports.

Yeah I caught that one as well. MS Dhoni is some kind of legend apparently.

Im watching MI vs PRS right now, PRS off to a decent start.

Frequitude
04-24-2017, 08:49 PM
Alright. 160 for the good guys. Hope they can hold them.

Frequitude
04-24-2017, 10:43 PM
Rising Pune Supergiants for the win!

mrkajz44
04-25-2017, 08:37 AM
Same here, I've been watching a lot of it lately. It seems like RCB just put up an all-time bad performance, pretty neat to have watched that. I also thought wickets didn't matter but they definitely did in that match. I think my favorite team will be PRS for now, love the name.

I love the IPL and was glad to see it back on Telus for whatever reason. If you are talking about the KKR v RCB game, then you saw something I've never seen before. Both teams were bowled out (10 wickets before 20-overs completed) when a typical 20-over game sees 3 or so wickets per team. It was a crazy impressive stand for KKR after putting up 132 in their innings; a team usually needs 180+ in order to defend and have a shot at winning.

TL;DR (or didn't really understand) - that game was an anomaly for T20 cricket. Most games go the full 20 overs and watching the team chase down a total in the final overs is usually really exciting.

GirlySports
04-25-2017, 09:17 AM
here's the old IPL thread started in 2011 (when it was on tv)
lots of rules discussion there.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=104282

Jimmy Stang
04-25-2017, 09:29 AM
What is the name of the channel that is carrying it on Telus? Anything similar for Shaw? I subscribed to willow.tv a couple of years ago for IPL, but they don't carry it anymore either. There is an online subscription available through another site now (edit: cricketgateway.com), but I will admit that I haven't been motivated to subscribe this year, although I do miss it.

Frequitude
04-25-2017, 05:06 PM
What is the name of the channel that is carrying it on Telus? Anything similar for Shaw? I subscribed to willow.tv a couple of years ago for IPL, but they don't carry it anymore either. There is an online subscription available through another site now (edit: cricketgateway.com), but I will admit that I haven't been motivated to subscribe this year, although I do miss it."GSPORTS" I believe.

bigrangy
04-30-2017, 03:42 AM
RCB loses spectacularly again, this time to RPS

Glad I picked the team I did

bigrangy
05-07-2017, 08:25 PM
Finally got around to watching the RPS vs SRH game I had PVR'd

Didn't think there was any chance they'd reach a defendable total, but then Dhoni came through with a huge thirty, and even then I still didn't think 149 would be enough, but bowling and fielding was solid and now RPS is #2!

bigrangy
05-16-2017, 12:12 PM
Another great fielding performance plus some clutch batting from Dhoni and RPS are into the final!

Go RPS!

Frequitude
05-16-2017, 11:39 PM
I think Washington might be giving Dhoni a run for my favourite player. Just a kid and all he does is get wickets. Though Steve Smith's lock tight hands might have something to say about that. No idea how these guys catch these balls. But who am I kidding, Dhoni mashing takes the cake.

Go Rising Pune Supergiant! Love that I lucked into rooting for this team.

Also hope these flashy gold plated Mumbai Indians get smoked in the semis. Would like to see KKR put up 200 against them.

bigrangy
05-17-2017, 02:26 PM
KKR is through after their Eliminator match with SRH was rain delayed. SRH batted and put up 128-7 off all 20 overs but the rain started, the match was delayed, and so KKR was given a target of 48 off of 6 overs. KKR chased easily but now there is some uproar that the formula that determined the chase score is flawed. Through my very, very limited experience watching cricket, I would say that both targets are probably about equivalent. 128 off 120 balls is kind of awful and is only a ~6.5 R/O, while 48 off 36 balls is generally an ok powerplay score and is 8 R/O.

What do the more knowledegable cricket folk think?

KKR faces MI for a spot in the final against RPS!

Da_Chief
05-17-2017, 04:15 PM
KKR is through after their Eliminator match with SRH was rain delayed. SRH batted and put up 128-7 off all 20 overs but the rain started, the match was delayed, and so KKR was given a target of 48 off of 6 overs. KKR chased easily but now there is some uproar that the formula that determined the chase score is flawed. Through my very, very limited experience watching cricket, I would say that both targets are probably about equivalent. 128 off 120 balls is kind of awful and is only a ~6.5 R/O, while 48 off 36 balls is generally an ok powerplay score and is 8 R/O.

What do the more knowledegable cricket folk think?

KKR faces MI for a spot in the final against RPS!

Uses Duckworth-Lewis formula.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duckworth%E2%80%93Lewis_method

The "uproar" wouldn't be so much if you can acheive 48 in 6 overs but more of 48 runs for 10 wickets. You can go balls to wall and try to hit everything out cause you have so many batsman in the hut. The method has been around for a long time and not going anywhere.

Frequitude
05-17-2017, 11:16 PM
Boooo. Old formula or not, SRH got screwed. You'd think that formula would cut down your wickets too so you can't just step up there and mash.

I wanted to see Warner destroy the damn Indians.

Party Elephant
05-18-2017, 04:18 PM
Yeah there's unfortunately no perfect way to deal with rain delays, and when you have a one off match that needs to be played, i.e. a semi-final it gets even more awkward. I think it was 1:30 am local time when KKR finally went to bat.

So the battle between New Zealand's best bowler (Boult) and batsman (Williamson) hoes in favour of Boult. I'll be supporting KKR from here on out!

FireGilbert
05-18-2017, 05:49 PM
Boooo. Old formula or not, SRH got screwed. You'd think that formula would cut down your wickets too so you can't just step up there and mash.

I wanted to see Warner destroy the damn Indians.

Warner is my favourite player and I was cheering for SRH however they were definitely not screwed. They only put up a measly 128 runs which is an easy total to catch DLS method or no DLS method.

The DLS systems does have some issues in short over cricket but it has been around for ages and is the best way to settle rain delayed matches.

bigrangy
05-19-2017, 05:53 PM
MI beat KKR and now they're into the final on Sunday against RPS.

8am start, but I'll be watching on delay sadly. Cheering for my boys!

Party Elephant
05-21-2017, 03:35 PM
I haven't seen any highlights yet, but sounds like the final was a thriller, with Mumbai winning on the last ball. Any of you guys see it?

Slava
05-21-2017, 06:39 PM
I watched and it was awesome! The last over in general was great and it was exciting.

Frequitude
05-22-2017, 11:57 AM
I think I'm madder now than when the Ducks swept the Flames.

FireGilbert
05-22-2017, 08:12 PM
Just saw the highlights. That was about as exciting a finish as possible in T20.

The next event on the cricket calendar is the ICC Champions Trophy from England and Wales starting on June 1st. This is basically a shorter version of the ODI World Cup which only includes the top 8 teams in the world.

The tournament is wide open but the favourites have to be South Africa who are first in the ODI rankings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_ICC_Champions_Trophy

Da_Chief
05-22-2017, 09:13 PM
South Africa are the biggest chokers in the world of cricket. Think Washington Capitals of last few years, always stacked always folding under pressure.

The favorites imo are England and Australia.

England and Aus should be 1-2 in group A.
India and South Africa should be 1-2 in group B.

I see England and Aus both winning the semi-finals and facing off against each other in the finals.

bigrangy
05-23-2017, 01:24 PM
Ugggggggggh

Finally found time to watch the final. RPS just didn't bat aggressively enough and MI bowled great when it mattered

Hopefully RPS are back next season and it's on TV again

Imported_Aussie
05-23-2017, 01:27 PM
South Africa are the biggest chokers in the world of cricket. Think Washington Capitals of last few years, always stacked always folding under pressure.

The favorites imo are England and Australia.

England and Aus should be 1-2 in group A.
India and South Africa should be 1-2 in group B.

I see England and Aus both winning the semi-finals and facing off against each other in the finals.

If there is a way for an Australia vs South Africa semi that needs to happen.
The script has been written and played out for that matchup so many times - South Africa comes in with better form, everyone says this time they break through, they are ahead in the game, boneheaded error(s), Australia snatch the win

Party Elephant
05-23-2017, 10:37 PM
In lower division international cricket news, the World Cricket League division 3 got underway today, with Canada defeating hosts Uganda (http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/1099187.html) as well as Oman defeating the USA and Singapore topping Malaysia.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/128800/128879.3.jpg

Canada upended hosts Uganda by 66 runs at Lugogo Stadium courtesy a vintage blitz from Rizwan Cheema. In a 42-over match delayed by two hours at the start, Canada made reasonable progress after choosing to bat, reaching 74 for 1 before left-arm spinner Henry Ssenyondo sparked a collapse of three wickets in four balls, which included the run-out of captain Nitish Kumar for 43.

Cheema arrived in the 29th over at 105 for 5 and immediately released all the pressure built up by Uganda's spinners, clattering 91 off 44 balls, including 10 sixes over the short boundaries at Lugogo, making Uganda pay dearly for dropping him three times along the way. Canada ended on 234 for 8 and Uganda never threatened to chase the runs after Cecil Pervez wiped out the top order with three wickets in his opening spell. Pervez finished with 4 for 44 as Uganda was bowled out for 168.

This tournament serves as the first stage of qualifying for the 2019 World Cup (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_ICC_World_Cricket_League_Division_Three) for these minnows, with the top two advancing to Division 2 which takes place next year (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_ICC_World_Cricket_League_Division_Two). The World Cup qualifying process is really complicated, and you can read more about it at these links if you feel like trying to figure it out, but basically top two at this current tournament qualify for the next one where top 2 at that qualify for the next round, and the top 2 of THAT one make it to the world cup. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Cricket_World_Cup_Qualifier) Keep winning and you're in!

Now, information about these lower level teams is pretty sparse, but it seems like Canada is in a good position to advance to division two with the win over the hosts. With the amount of teams and tournaments standing between them and the world cup it looks like qualification is a longshot, but hopefully they can put together a good campaign.

Frequitude
05-24-2017, 01:39 AM
Ugggggggggh

Finally found time to watch the final. RPS just didn't bat aggressively enough and MI bowled great when it mattered

Hopefully RPS are back next season and it's on TV againI thought the same. They just kinda dinked it around for 1's and 2's thinking they had plenty of wickets left to go for boundaries later, but they didn't actually start trying for them until Smith and Dhoni were up with only a handful of overs left. They needed to start taking risks earlier.

ClubFlames
06-01-2017, 10:35 AM
Champions Trophy started today in England.

West Indies failed to qualify and Bangladesh made it in their spot.

1st Match is still going on right now

Bangladesh - 305/6 (50ov)
England - 231/2 currently in the 41st over.

ClubFlames
06-01-2017, 11:12 AM
And England win with ease.

England 308/2 in 47.2 overs
Joe Root - 133*
Eoin Morgan - 75*

Frequitude
06-01-2017, 10:32 PM
How can one watch it from Calgary?

Party Elephant
06-01-2017, 11:08 PM
There is a (paid) streaming service called Willow that's run by ESPN, I have no idea if it's geoblocked in Canada or not but they have most cricket games on there.

Looking forward to NZ vs Australia tonight!

ClubFlames
06-02-2017, 09:22 AM
How can one watch it from Calgary?

You can download an app called YuppTV. It's an app to watch East Indian shows but they have a link to Champions Trophy. You can pay a monthly charge of $9.99 (recurring) which you can cancel after the Champions Trophy. It's accessible on your Samsung Smart TV, tablet or phone.

ClubFlames
06-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Australia vs New Zealand ongoing. There was a match delay in the beginning so the sides are playing a 46 over match.

NZ made a good total of 291 but were all out by the 45th over. Kane Williamson with a 100. Hazelwood with 6 wickets.

Australia to bat soon.

ClubFlames
06-02-2017, 04:55 PM
Just got caught up with the score. The match was a No Result due to rain. Australia was in shambles so this was a blessing for them. The revised target before the rain came down was 235 from 33 overs and the Aussies were 53 for 3 in 9 overs. Too bad for NZ.

Party Elephant
06-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Rain ruins another potentially great result for NZ. Australia's batting was pretty ineffective in their limited time at the crease, and even Steve Smith reckons they got lucky with the rain. Oh well, I'm still backing NZ to beat England and Bangladesh in order to advance.

FireGilbert
06-03-2017, 10:00 PM
It was a great start for South Africa beating Sri Lanka by 96 runs. They are still my favourite to win although this is possibly just the build up to an epic semis collapse.

The next game is India vs Pakistan. Should be a good one.

Party Elephant
06-03-2017, 11:25 PM
Oh and to follow up in the post I made 2 weeks ago, Canada finished second in division 3 with a 3-2 record, meaning they qualify for next year's division 2 tournament!

FireGilbert
06-04-2017, 05:10 PM
India absolutely demolished Pakistan by 124 runs. In a rain shortened match Pakistan was given a chase of 289 from 41 over and only managed 164.

Australia vs Bangladesh today.

ClubFlames
06-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Pakistani team is just disoriented it seems. Odd selections, odd strategy.

Another rain delay in the Australia vs Bangladesh match.

Bangladesh: 182 all out
Australia: 83/1 in 16 overs.

FireGilbert
06-05-2017, 03:52 PM
Another Aussie match abandoned due to rain only 4 overs away from a result. Stupid English weather, who thought it would be a good idea to hold a cricket tournament there?

ClubFlames
06-05-2017, 04:38 PM
Another Aussie match abandoned due to rain only 4 overs away from a result. Stupid English weather, who thought it would be a good idea to hold a cricket tournament there?

Agreed. No idea why England got to host back to back tournaments. South Africa would have been a better choice.

Party Elephant
06-05-2017, 10:28 PM
Well, that non result ruining a likely win for Australia evens out the non result where they were likely to lose at least. But the amount of games that are being abandoned is getting absurd.

FireGilbert
06-07-2017, 08:26 PM
Pakistan beat South Africa for a huge upset that throws Pool B wide open. Rain stopped the match in Pakistan's 27th over and they were ahead in the DL method.

Of the 7 matches played so far, 4 have either been shortened or cancelled by rain.

GirlySports
06-09-2017, 10:17 AM
rain has just killed this tournament

mrkajz44
06-09-2017, 01:21 PM
I'm still new to cricket, so forgive the rookie question. How do the "no result" work with a match being rained out? AUS has two games that were cancelled, so I don't really understand how that works. It looks like they somehow have 2 points in the standings, so 1 point for a "no result"?

Also had no idea a match could simply be rained out and no result occurs. Cricket is such a different game.

GirlySports
06-09-2017, 01:30 PM
No result = tie

Da_Chief
06-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Total of 2 points up for grabs. In a case of a rain-out (since there are no makeup days scheduled) each team gets a points. 2 rains outs have occurred, both involved Aus so they have 2 points. New Zealand and Bangla were the opponents, they each got a point.

England is through to semis.

3 group stage games left:

Group A
Aus vs England - if England win, Aus is out with England finishing 1st in group A and Bangla 2nd. If Aus win then England and Aus go through with the NRR determining who finishes 1st.

New Zealand are going home.

Group B
South Africa vs India - Winner moves on, loser goes home.

Sri Lanka - Pakistan - Winner moves on, loser goes home.

Net run rate will determine who finishes 1st and 2nd.

In case of both games raining out, it will stay as is with India and South Africa finishing 1st and 2nd, respectively.

FireGilbert
06-09-2017, 05:06 PM
^Good explanation but I have one clarification: wins are the first tie breaker, then NRR. This means England has already clinched first and Australia would be eliminated if they are washed out a third time.

FireGilbert
06-10-2017, 06:17 PM
Australia is out. They finally got a game in at least although it was still shortened by rain. Who picked Bangladesh to make the semis?

Da_Chief
06-12-2017, 09:55 PM
Semi-finals
June 14th: England huge favorites over Pakistan
June 15th: India huge favorites over Bangladesh

Although a big surprise is that 3 of the 4 left standing are south asian teams.

FireGilbert
06-12-2017, 10:34 PM
Semi-finals
June 14th: England huge favorites over Pakistan
June 15th: India huge favorites over Bangladesh

Although a big surprise is that 3 of the 4 left standing are south asian teams.

Wow was I ever wrong about South Africa. Usually they choke in a semi but this time it was a de-facto quarter.

It should be an England vs India final however there have been some crazy upsets this tournament.

It's definitely surprising to see 3 south asian teams in the semis. Also very surprising that 6th ranked Bangladesh and 8th ranked Pakistan made it.

Party Elephant
06-12-2017, 11:57 PM
Amazing that there's the possibility of a Pakistan-Bangladesh final at this point.

GirlySports
06-13-2017, 10:56 AM
hahaha google doodle!

https://www.google.com/doodles/celebrating-the-icc-champions-trophy-2017

i just hit a 6 :)

Da_Chief
06-13-2017, 01:22 PM
hahaha google doodle!

https://www.google.com/doodles/celebrating-the-icc-champions-trophy-2017

i just hit a 6 :)

Made 54 on my 2nd try, one 6, one 4 and buncha triples, which are so rare in cricket.

GirlySports
06-13-2017, 02:10 PM
well you are playing snails

endeavor
06-15-2017, 09:40 AM
So barring an epic collapse, looks like an India-Pakistan final. Wow.

Party Elephant
06-17-2017, 05:55 AM
So barring an epic collapse, looks like an India-Pakistan final. Wow.
No cricket fan would have expected that given Pakistan's play the last couple of years, so good on them. Hopefully we have a good final with no rain.

Da_Chief
06-18-2017, 10:44 AM
Pakistan demolish India by 180 runs to win their 1st Champions Trophy.

Slava
06-18-2017, 11:53 AM
Pakistan demolish India by 180 runs to win their 1st Champions Trophy.

You're posting here?! I just assumed you'd be out partying in the streets!

Da_Chief
06-18-2017, 01:47 PM
I wish there was a party here. Was watching it with my brother. We high fived! ;)

Slava
06-18-2017, 03:09 PM
Whoa, settle down!

FireGilbert
06-18-2017, 06:33 PM
Congrats to Pakistan. A 180 run win is about as big a blowout as you can get in cricket. Also, the 8th seed winning must be one of the biggest Cinderella stories in cricket history.

Of course Indian fans are very angry at their performance. Bollywood actor Kamaal Rashid Khan went on an epic twitter rant accusing them of match fixing.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/champions-trophy/india-reacts-with-shock-matchfixing-claims-after-champions-trophy-final-defeat/news-story/c7762c135acb415b40ade5e43ec4ea1f

endeavor
06-19-2017, 08:57 AM
Great performance by Pakistan. I'm a biased towards bowlers so Amir taking out India's big three was the highlight for me.

Party Elephant
10-22-2017, 05:35 PM
Bump.

A fantastic ODI in Mumbai last night with New Zealand pulling out a 6 wicket victory over India. Good performances all around with centuries from Virat Kohli and Tom Latham. I am very excited for the rest of this India tour now, and the season of cricket to come!

Da_Chief
10-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Good knock by Latham, solid win. Not sure what Ross was doing in the end, instead of going for a big hit and his century he kept knocking it around only to get caught out.

Sri Lanka in a tough spot. Sanga and Mahela are long gone and limited over teams are struggling big time. Whitewashed by India, South Africa and now Pakistan for 12 straight ODI losses.

Hopefully they can turn it around soon. Would suck if they fall aside like Windies and Zimbabwe have.

FireGilbert
11-22-2017, 04:20 PM
The Ashes starts soon! Go Aussies!

Party Elephant
11-25-2017, 12:06 AM
The Ashes starts soon! Go Aussies!

I'm enjoying the first Ashes test so far. It's still anyone's game and we're almost at the end of day 3!

Ben_in_Canada
11-25-2017, 07:11 AM
When I used to work for Liquorland, XXXX would give us tickets to the Ashes games at the Gabba.
Good times.

Party Elephant
11-26-2017, 01:02 PM
Australia firmly in control now with all their wickets in hand and only 56 runs to go. England's batting was pretty weak the second time around with only Joe Root making 50.

FireGilbert
11-27-2017, 02:21 AM
Australia wins! England was looking good for the first two days but then the Aussies took control. The English have not won at the Gabba since 1986.

The next one is in Adelaide on the 2nd. The pink ball will be out for the first ever day night Ashes test.

Party Elephant
12-28-2017, 01:33 AM
The Ashes series has been a dud, but Alastair Cook has now claimed a pretty incredible record in the fourth test:

https://scontent.fchc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26166625_1851708381514916_1841532608282034766_n.jp g?oh=bc772868d21805bbd4c8e957f7b6122e&oe=5ABCDB0C

Had the work TV on it all day. What an innings, to stand out there in front of 90,000 opposing fans and take on some of the best bowlers and fielders in the world, face more than 400 deliveries and hardly make any mistakes. One of the best Test innings I've seen in my short time as a cricket fan. Now that the series has already been decided England finally looking like they might win one.

FireGilbert
01-06-2018, 03:11 AM
I was at the Sydney Cricket Ground today for the 3rd day of the test. Unfortunately it was a mostly boring and uneventful day with the Aussies batting all day and only losing 2 wickets.

The Aussie batters dug in and slowly added the runs up which wasn't the most exciting for the fans but put them in a winning position. The English bowling, other than Anderson, was pathetic and at times it felt like they were just going through the motions.

It was still a fun sitting outside drinking beers in a great atmosphere and any day where the English get smashed is a good day. Also, I managed a personal half century, spending over $50 on beer :cool:

FireGilbert
01-07-2018, 08:26 PM
It's over! The Aussies win the series 4-0.

Also, we have a new Canadian cricket fan:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cxresources/ODEyMDE4M3xjeG8uYnxodHRwczovL2Nkbi5uZXdzYXBpLmNvbS 5hdS9pbWFnZS92MS8zZGE4MDZiMzQ2OTZjMDYwOWY0MDdkNjY3 YWRhNjhjZD93aWR0aD03MDB8ODEyMDE4M2N4by5ifDgxMjAxOD M=

FireGilbert
01-22-2018, 04:00 PM
Possibly the best catch ever in the BBL last night:

s6nbXzamsXM

Party Elephant
01-23-2018, 11:24 PM
Possibly the best catch ever in the BBL last night:

s6nbXzamsXM

Who the hell geolocks a video in Australia?

Sick catch though.

FireGilbert
03-24-2018, 04:54 PM
Australia was caught cheating in Cape Town :bag:

ClubFlames
03-25-2018, 02:59 AM
Pretty crazy.

Steve Smith pretty much admitted he and the "leadership group" decided to do it because they needed an edge in the game cuz the ball was reverse swinging.

I believe the coach (Darren Lehmann) knew about it too.

Steve Smith will probably take the fall and be removed from the team.

FireGilbert
03-25-2018, 05:04 AM
What bugs me the most is how they made the youngest member of the team do the cheating. Bancroft is still to blame but he must have felt like he had no choice.

Smith and Warner have stepped down for the rest of this test and I'm guessing they won't play in the 4th one. Smith has destroyed his legacy and will never be captain again both internationally and in the IPL.

Party Elephant
03-26-2018, 12:44 AM
You know it's bad when the Prime Minister is calling them out:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/legends-want-steve-smith-sacked-after-balltampering-scandal/news-story/766365369ad0b6b19d0895f826957c85

FireGilbert
03-26-2018, 06:06 AM
Meh. The PM is likely secretly happy this is distracting from his useless government.

I'm really embarrassed and am hoping for lengthy suspensions and leadership changes however the more I think about it there is a lot of overreacting, such as the calls for lifetime bans. Like baseball, ball tampering has been part of the game for years with an attitude of it's only cheating if you get caught. The ICC clearly doesn't consider it a big deal with only a one match suspension.

If anything good comes of this I hope it is more clarity around the ball tampering rules. For example why is sucking on a candy and then rubbing sugary saliva on the ball considered okay?

ClubFlames
03-26-2018, 10:14 AM
Rabada celebrates too hard - 2 game suspension.

Smith admits to cheating - 1 game suspension.

I guess ICC uses the same wheel of justice as the NHL.

Imported_Aussie
03-26-2018, 12:34 PM
Rabada celebrates too hard - 2 game suspension.

Smith admits to cheating - 1 game suspension.

I guess ICC uses the same wheel of justice as the NHL.

Well Rabada did have his suspension revoked in the end.
It comes down to them setting up the rules the way they did - contact with an opposition player is vague, and would cover a tap during celebration or something more intentional.
Ball-tampering is too weakly punished by ICC, but I expect Cricket Australia to come down hard, especially with all the backlash.

However, if you step back and look at the big picture - this is not the first instance of a player/team using a foreign object to change the condition of the ball. it may be one of the more blatant, but it is not an unique event.
The main factor here that makes this worse is the captain/coach/leadership group co-opting the most junior player into the cheating. They tried to hide the evidence, but then made a full admission. Other cases, players have denied everything or only come clean much later.

For me, you have to sack the coach and strip the captaincy and vice-captaincy - the leadership team should no longer be leading, plain and simple. That is down to the coercion used on a junior player - abuse of power should mean removal of power position.

As for suspension beyond 1 game, up to and including life bans, this is a very tricky situation, precedent setting in fact. What does this event have that makes it warrant an unprecedented punishment? Would Smith, Warner, etc. take the case to court for future earnings if banned long-term, given the lack of precedent?

All I can say is that what they did was wrong in so many ways, poor sportsmanship and they should face discipline. And also that I am so glad I am not the one deciding the discipline to be levied, as it is close to a no-win situation.

FireGilbert
03-28-2018, 04:33 AM
Smith and Warner have been suspended for 12 months while Bancroft will be out for 9.

Seems a little harsh, I wouldn't be surprised if there are appeals.

Imported_Aussie
03-28-2018, 10:00 AM
Smith and Warner have been suspended for 12 months while Bancroft will be out for 9.

Seems a little harsh, I wouldn't be surprised if there are appeals.

If they were to appeal, they would need to wait until the public backlash cools down. Appealing now they may have a case in law, but the court of public opinion would destroy them. Sponsors are already fleeing, so the best course of action is likely to cop the ban, show genuine remorse, and fade into the background in the short term. That way in 6-9 months they can start positioning themselves for recalls for the Ashes.

I think this is the first action, and then a deeper review may bring more changes. IMO to clean up the image of the team, Lehmann has to go, and you either bring in a well respected foreign coach or an ex-Aussie player with a strong presence and reputation. My ideal choice would be Gillespie, due to his coaching track record in County, or Gilchrist as he is the poster-boy of sportsmanship from the past generation of players. Maybe even the pair of them, with Gilchrist cast as more of a mentor and Gillespie the traditional coach.

I think there has been a gradual decline of ethics and behaviour over time, which has led to the situation that the team is now in. It isn't like 2-3 players decided overnight to cheat. I think there needs to be scrutiny at all levels and an emphasis on professional, sportsmanlike conduct.

What this also does now for other teams is show a clear statement of intent - whether you think the penalty is too severe, too lenient, not enough players penalized, what it says is that this is serious and warrants real punishment. ICC needs to revisit rules and other associations now need to either punish as severely or look like they condone the practice.
So Faf should lay off the mints :whistle:

ClubFlames
03-29-2018, 11:13 AM
Darren Lehmann steps down as coach for the Aussie team. Pretty emotional press conference.

Party Elephant
03-29-2018, 06:20 PM
I would think that more knives will come out in the coming weeks. Probably a lot of blame to go around, and I think Lehmann resigned knowing that more dirt was going to come out on him.

FireGilbert
03-30-2018, 07:04 PM
The Kiwis are trolling us now.

BMiCJ-MQvDk

I'm still of the opinion the suspensions are too harsh and in terms of cheating, match fixing > PEDs >>>> ball tampering. I did grow up as a baseball fan though where ball tampering is a part of the game and the only crime is getting caught.

Also, it looks like Warner is being set up as the bad guy in this with stories emerging of him being a loose canon and a bad team mate.

Party Elephant
03-30-2018, 10:31 PM
The Kiwis are trolling us now.

BMiCJ-MQvDk

I'm still of the opinion the suspensions are too harsh and in terms of cheating, match fixing > PEDs >>>> ball tampering. I did grow up as a baseball fan though where ball tampering is a part of the game and the only crime is getting caught.

Also, it looks like Warner is being set up as the bad guy in this with stories emerging of him being a loose canon and a bad team mate.His PR team was a bit slow as his tearful apology press conference didn't happen until today.

FireGilbert
03-31-2018, 03:25 AM
His PR team was a bit slow as his tearful apology press conference didn't happen until today.

The Warner press conference was a bit of disaster. He tearfully read a prepared statement and refused to answer questions.

I don't expect any one here to know who Warner's PR rep, Roxy Jacenko, is but that explains a lot about why he is losing the PR battle.

ClubFlames
04-03-2018, 11:11 AM
This is pretty hilarious.

DpLwS5sI_hk

Jimmy Stang
04-03-2018, 11:34 AM
Any news on how to (legally) watch IPL 2018 in Canada? I know that a couple of years ago, Willow.tv carried the matches. Not finding a definitive answer this year.

mrkajz44
04-03-2018, 01:28 PM
Any news on how to (legally) watch IPL 2018 in Canada? I know that a couple of years ago, Willow.tv carried the matches. Not finding a definitive answer this year.

+1 on this request. I've been trying to see if some games are on Sportsnet again, but can't find anything so far.

ClubFlames
04-04-2018, 10:50 AM
I'm pretty sure the contract with Sportsnet ran out in 2016.

As for legal online stream, Willow TV has to carry it. They did last year.

ClubFlames
04-04-2018, 10:53 AM
https://www.cricketgateway.com/

You can register and watch Live streaming on Cricket Gateway. They are the official digital streaming partner for IPL 10.

mrkajz44
04-06-2018, 08:15 PM
If you're on Telus it looks like most (maybe all?) of the IPL will be on channel 2312. Info on timing of the games is on 2313.

Go Knight Riders!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

GirlySports
04-08-2018, 07:55 PM
If you're on Telus it looks like most (maybe all?) of the IPL will be on channel 2312. Info on timing of the games is on 2313.

Go Knight Riders!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

YES! I see it. First game tomorrow at 7:30am Mumbai vs Chennai.

Frequitude
04-18-2018, 09:15 PM
Rooting for Chennai this year because of MS Dhoni.

fundmark19
04-18-2018, 10:02 PM
Is this the year cp gets fired up for Ipl again? As the original Chennai fan I could get into this again. My kids wake me up early enough to watch

Party Elephant
04-18-2018, 10:10 PM
Is this the year cp gets fired up for Ipl again? As the original Chennai fan I could get into this again. My kids wake me up early enough to watchI don't follow much since its on in the middle of the night, but go Sunrisers since Kane Williamson is the captain!

Izzle
05-18-2018, 09:20 AM
The IPL is in full swing and there have been some amazing catches this season (Boult earlier in the season and Rashid Khan earlier in the same match come to mind).

However, this one taken by AB DeVilliers is probably his submission to be part of the Avengers. One of the most bonkers catches I have ever seen. Kohli's face after the catch really says it all. It's almost like his brain is refusing to believe that the catch was taken. The crowd volume noticeably gets louder.

https://www.iplt20.com/video/139408/m51-rcb-vs-srh-vivo-perfect-catch-of-the-match-ab-de-villiers?tagNames=indian-premier-league

GirlySports
05-18-2018, 01:42 PM
Chennai lost to last place Delhi which throws everything up into the air with one last matchday to go. Should be a fun weekend!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/table/series/8048/season/2018/indian-premier-league/

Hyderabad 9-4
Chennai 8-5
Kolkata 7-6
Mumbai 6-7
Bangalore 6-7
Rajasthan 6-7
Punjab 6-7
Delhi 4-9

Top 4 make the page playoffs. If tied, goes to Net Run Rate

Saturday
Rajasthan vs Bangalore
Hyderabad vs Kolkata

Sunday
Delhi vs Mumbai
Chennai vs Punjab

Party Elephant
05-21-2018, 12:56 AM
Go Sunrisers! Prior to this IPL season there was a lot of noise in NZ that Williamson should give up T20 in order to focus on the longer formats (the thought being that his game wasn't suited for the faster pace and higher required strike rate for T20 batsmen) but he has basically reinvented his game to become one of the top runscorers this season.

Hope he can lead his team to the championship!

GirlySports
05-22-2018, 10:27 AM
Go Sunrisers! Prior to this IPL season there was a lot of noise in NZ that Williamson should give up T20 in order to focus on the longer formats (the thought being that his game wasn't suited for the faster pace and higher required strike rate for T20 batsmen) but he has basically reinvented his game to become one of the top runscorers this season.

Hope he can lead his team to the championship!

A bowling display as Sunrisers were only able to get 139 batting first but Super Kings are now 57/5 after 11 overs. Winner goes straight to the final! It's on Telus 2312 for those who have it.

GirlySports
05-22-2018, 11:11 AM
Looks like Chennai are going to win, need just 6 off the last over. But they are 8 down.