PDA

View Full Version : TJ Brodie - bright spot in a not so great season?

ScorchyScorch
02-19-2016, 11:17 AM
In 47 games since his injury he's amassed 33 points (4-29), good for 58 points in 82 games. This would put him ahead of Wideman's career year last season (56) in just his 5th season in the league.

Whether or not you put much stock into a stat such as +/-, when you look at the Flames stats there is one thing not like the rest and that's Brodie. He is a +14. The next closest Flame to that on defence is Engelland at an even 0, then Giordano at -2. Actually no one on the team is even close to him in that regard except Gaudreau (+9), who puts up a point on a nightly basis. I'm not an expert on the advanced stats and perhaps someone can dig those up, but it appears TJ has clearly been an aberration from the mean in a year where arguably only Gaudreau has taken a step forward from last season, whereas everyone else has taken a small - or large - step back.

He continues to shine individually despite the team's overall performance and it's showing on paper and on the ice. One would think he should get plenty of consideration for the world cup of hockey and upcoming Olympics based on the way he is trending.

hockey.modern
02-19-2016, 11:19 AM
Yup, We know he's good. Wonder if he'll make Team Canada? Or if he's still that underrated.

PepsiFree
02-19-2016, 11:20 AM
Best defenceman on the Flames.
Most underrated defenceman in the NHL (he's top 10, easy).

Gaudfather
02-19-2016, 11:23 AM
He is #6 in the recent Top Ten list of Positional Power Rankings by Jonathan Willis at Sportsnet - not too bad at all!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-positional-power-rankings-the-10-best-defencemen/

6. T.J. Brodie, Calgary Flames (46GP | 4G | 27A | 31PTS)
Brodie ranks fifth in even-strength scoring by defencemen and has both good shot and goal numbers on a bad team, all while playing the toughest available opposition. Last month: 3

jaikorven
02-19-2016, 11:24 AM
Best defenceman on the Flames.
Most underrated defenceman in the NHL (he's top 10, easy).

Agreed and I would even say top 5 in the NHL.

ricardodw
02-19-2016, 11:41 AM
In 47 games since his injury he's amassed 33 points (4-29), good for 58 points in 82 games. This would put him ahead of Wideman's career year last season (56) in just his 5th season in the league.

Whether or not you put much stock into a stat such as +/-, when you look at the Flames stats there is one thing not like the rest and that's Brodie. He is a +14. The next closest Flame to that on defence is Engelland at an even 0, then Giordano at -2. Actually no one on the team is even close to him in that regard except Gaudreau (+9), who puts up a point on a nightly basis. I'm not an expert on the advanced stats and perhaps someone can dig those up, but it appears TJ has clearly been an aberration from the mean in a year where arguably only Gaudreau has taken a step forward from last season, whereas everyone else has taken a small - or large - step back.

He continues to shine individually despite the team's overall performance and it's showing on paper and on the ice. One would think he should get plenty of consideration for the world cup of hockey and upcoming Olympics based on the way he is trending.

Your thread title goes against the predominate theme here at CP:

Gio is an All Star near Norris D-man who at age 33 has committed to the Flames on a very Flames favorable contract.

Hamilton was a steal of a deal and has shown signs that he will be a dominate D-man well worth his contract next year if not the year after.

Russell is playing at level where someone will pay him 5M long term and the home town discount that the Flames should sign him is 4Mx4

Frolik is one of the Flames top forwards and is well worth his 21M over 5 years.

On the positive things that IMHO actually do compete with the Brodie good news:

Gaudreau
Monahan
Bennett

To say that the Flames are having a "not so great season" is inviting ridicule and questions about your hockey knowledge.

PeteMoss
02-19-2016, 11:47 AM
http://i.giphy.com/1x65Yj512fquc.gif

Fire of the Phoenix
02-19-2016, 11:49 AM
To say that the Flames are having a "not so great season" is inviting ridicule and questions about your hockey knowledge.

LOL. Are you serious? What is wrong with how he wrote it? Not everyone screams what they mean like you do. You're arguing over semantics, I'm pretty sure that the poster is aware the Flames have been a tire fire this year even of he didn't beat us over the head with it. We get it. The Flames suck. Happy?

saillias
02-19-2016, 11:49 AM
Flames Frolik CP Hamilton etc

^What?

This post is an abstract mixed bag of thoughts about the Flames and CP, but presented sarcastically. I have no idea what you're actually trying to say.

Imported_Aussie
02-19-2016, 11:50 AM

And if anyone knows about inviting ridicule and having their hockey knowledge questioned....

Seriously though - we all know the Flames have good building block, Brodie begin one of them. The reason this season is "not so great" is that as fans we want to see a winning team, and we know they have been let down by poor special teams and goaltending

Dr. Doom
02-19-2016, 11:51 AM
What I find fascinating about Brodie (but frustrating as a fantasy owner LOL), is his lack of shots. The guy has only taken 56 shots this season, slightly above a shot per game.

For a guy with 33 points in 47 games, he sure does create a lot of offense. Impressive really, Kaberle comes to mind but he's so much more than that too...

ScorchyScorch
02-19-2016, 11:52 AM
This is about Brodie. We could use something overwhelmingly positive to discuss and there isn't yet an individual Brodie appreciation thread.

I didn't say the "only" bright spot.

Frolik and Hamilton have also statistically done worse than their previous seasons, or are on pace to.

And lol actually they aren't having a great season? I'm not sure if your post is a joke or not. It appears so.

heep223
02-19-2016, 11:57 AM
What I find fascinating about Brodie (but frustrating as a fantasy owner LOL), is his lack of shots. The guy has only taken 56 shots this season, slightly above a shot per game.

....and also his shot is an absolute muffin. If he had a good shot, he'd win the Norris.

JJ1532
02-19-2016, 12:07 PM
He's been the biggest bright spot, but I'd say there are several other points that have pleased me.

Monahan has shown a real development of his play making ability, really stepped up an area of weakness in his game.

Gaudreau shrugging off his sophmore slump. There had to have been questions asked over wether he could do what he did last season again. He has, on a much worse team than last years. He's been our best forward by a mile.

Gio has recovered from a really poor start to the season and whilst he is still a level short of his top top form, hopefully if he ends the season healthy and has a full off-season to get himself in top shape, he'll come back as good as ever.

Hamilton has moulded himself into a decent player after a bad start as well. Looks like a real asset on the PP, has really added some scoring depth and offensive ability to our blue line.

But yeah, Brodie has been the biggest standout for me. We knew he was important last season, but this season he's proven to be, along with Johnny, 1 of our 2 most valuable players and one of the cornerstones of the team for the next 5 years at least.

It's not been all doom and gloom, there have been positives from this season. Brodie is the biggest, but as already mentioned, there are a number of others as well.

Roof-Daddy
02-19-2016, 12:18 PM
Brodie is awesome. His career ppg has gone as follows:

Nice progression.

Other bright spots, and important ones because they pertain to the future of this team:

Brodie - As discussed above.
Hamilton - Has improved tremendously since the his slow start.
Bennett - Having a stellar rookie season, despite a slow start offensively.
Gaudreau - A massive sophomore season.
Monahan - Leveled off somewhat in his third season, but nothing to worry about IMO. He's 21 and if what he is now is all he ever becomes, then there is nothing wrong with a 20-30 goal, 50-60 point solid two way center.

Those are the bright spots you want to have in a rebuild. Much better than having the team be lifted by career years from 30+ year old players like Hudler and Wideman.

GoJetsGo
02-19-2016, 12:22 PM

Gio is an All Star near Norris D-man who at age 33 has committed to the Flames on a very Flames favorable contract.

Hamilton was a steal of a deal and has shown signs that he will be a dominate D-man well worth his contract next year if not the year after.

Russell is playing at level where someone will pay him 5M long term and the home town discount that the Flames should sign him is 4Mx4

Frolik is one of the Flames top forwards and is well worth his 21M over 5 years.

On the positive things that IMHO actually do compete with the Brodie good news:

Gaudreau
Monahan
Bennett

I'm sorry, what was that about Lee Stempniak?

Coach
02-19-2016, 12:30 PM
Sometimes I feel bad for ricardow and the beating he takes after almost all his posts.

Then I read the post.

GranteedEV
02-19-2016, 12:40 PM
There have actually been many bright spots this year. Brodie probably the brightest, because he's amazing, but:

- Gaudreau is one of the leading scorers in the NHL on a team with a bad power play. Can you just imagine if we had a good power play?
- Ferland has been really good.
- Backlund is quietly having the best year of his career after a rocky start. He should finish with 40-45 points while being a positive possession forward
- Sam Bennett.
- Dougie Hamilton
- Hudler is starting to heat up before the deadline
- The biggest issue is the most easily rectified one, goaltending.
- We've not just bad enough to miss the playoffs, we're probably bad enough in the standings for Matthews or Laine. Way better outcome than 12th-last-place

Gaudfather
02-19-2016, 02:37 PM
I would also add Gio as a bright spot as well. Took him a bit to get going after coming off his injury, but he has been his true self for the past three months - a good example of leadership and consistency.

heep223
02-19-2016, 02:38 PM
Backlund's play over the past 20 games has been a bright spot for me.

spuzzum
02-19-2016, 02:47 PM
There have actually been many bright spots this year. Brodie probably the brightest, because he's amazing, but:

- Gaudreau is one of the leading scorers in the NHL on a team with a bad power play. Can you just imagine if we had a good power play?
- Backlund is quietly having the best year of his career after a rocky start. He should finish with 40-45 points while being a positive possession forward
- Sam Bennett.
- Dougie Hamilton
- We've not just bad enough to miss the playoffs, we're probably bad enough in the standings for Matthews or Laine. Way better outcome than 12th-last-place

Does all these brights spots equate that we have the worst goaltending in league history? We're close to dead last folks.

I'd argue goaltending is not easily rectified and is an achilles heel for lots of teams. Potentially most difficult to fix.

PeteMoss
02-19-2016, 03:04 PM
Does all these brights spots equate that we have the worst goaltending in league history? We're close to dead last folks.

I'd argue goaltending is not easily rectified and is an achilles heel for lots of teams. Potentially most difficult to fix.

In some ways the Flames record is impressive. They are getting historically bad goaltending and have a historically bad PK and still can't be worse than the Oilers.

Roof-Daddy
02-19-2016, 03:06 PM
In some ways the Flames record is impressive. They are getting historically bad goaltending and have a historically bad PK and still can't be worse than the Oilers.

Plus, most of their best players are 25 or under and likely only going to get better.

Also, most of the overpaid filler/depth/garbage filling out their roster should eventually get replaced by younger, better players as their contracts expire.

Calgary4LIfe
02-19-2016, 03:25 PM
I will argue that you have to really be overly-frustrated to the point of being biased if you are not seeing some legitimate bright spots this year. People mentioned some good ones already (and I like the Backlund bit too - I also see him as a player that has really turned it around to where he was a couple of seasons ago).

Since this is predominantly focused on Brodie, I would like to add this.

There is not a single other Flame who has been this consistent. Not Giordano (who I think has been really great outside his starts, but does have some less than stellar moments), not Gaudreau (does so well at home, but much less consistent on the road) - nobody else on the Flames maintains a certain level of play on each second of every shift in every game.

I think the only other player that has been showing as much consistency has been Engelland. He is about as 'steady-eddie' as there is right now on the team (of course, he doesn't have the impact that Brodie has - just really liking how steady Engelland has been through the majority of this season). FDW is right - not everyone appreciates a tough stay-at-home defensive defencemen, but I sure am liking what he brings every night. Will be eyeing him quite a lot in the next while as I assume his ice-time will increase to the #3 defencemen mark, and seeing how he does playing those minutes and that situation.

GranteedEV
02-19-2016, 03:40 PM

And I hope Hiller can get us closer. 8th-14th last is no-man's land and Ramo was nearly getting us into that awful range.

Got an example of a team that

1) Has a good roster that consistently deserves to be in the playoffs
2) Hasn't been committed to Cam Ward for the last decade.
3) And hasn't rectified goaltending
?

Because I don't buy that there's a team like that. Last year, these were teams with 5v5 FF% > 51% (teams that deserved to be in a playoff spot based on their skaters' control of the play) and a SV% < 0.911 (League Average)

Dallas (.895)
Tampa (.910)
Anaheim (.907)
San Jose (.907)
Carolina (.902)
Detroit (.909)
New York Islanders (.903)

Well, have they failed to rectify it? Let's look at their SV% this season:

Tampa (.913)
Anaheim (.914)
Detroit (.914)
New York Islanders (.917)

Four of those same teams are already better than league average just a season later. Let's look at what's left:

Dallas (.907)
San Jose (.905) - Martin Jones actually has a .917, only their backup 'tending sucks this year.
Carolina (.902) - Cam Ward.

So yeah, Dallas. They've got some bad goalie contracts, but they're still in a playoff spot, second in the central. San Jose is also in a playoff spot, 2nd in the Pacific and 8th best in the league.

The teams that can't seem to get a handle on goaltending are the ones with bad skater groups in front of their tenders. The Oilers, etc. Most goaltending issues are one-offs unless there's a bad contract involved.

Goaltending can be figured out. The 2010 Blackhawks had 26th ranked goaltending and stomped their way to a cup.

MarkGio
02-19-2016, 04:12 PM

- Sam Bennett.
- Dougie Hamilton

The last point can't be understated. Although, I wouldn't consider Backlund a bright spot. Too many seasons have gone by where Backlund has simply plateaued in terms of production.

MarkGio
02-19-2016, 04:17 PM
And I hope Hiller can get us closer. 8th-14th last is no-man's land and Ramo was nearly getting us into that awful range.

Got an example of a team that

1) Has a good roster that consistently deserves to be in the playoffs
2) Hasn't been committed to Cam Ward for the last decade.
3) And hasn't rectified goaltending
?

Because I don't buy that there's a team like that. Last year, these were teams with 5v5 FF% > 51% (teams that deserved to be in a playoff spot based on their skaters' control of the play) and a SV% < 0.911 (League Average)

Dallas (.895)
Tampa (.910)
Anaheim (.907)
San Jose (.907)
Carolina (.902)
Detroit (.909)
New York Islanders (.903)

Well, have they failed to rectify it? Let's look at their SV% this season:

Tampa (.913)
Anaheim (.914)
Detroit (.914)
New York Islanders (.917)

Four of those same teams are already better than league average just a season later. Let's look at what's left:

Dallas (.907)
San Jose (.905) - Martin Jones actually has a .917, only their backup 'tending sucks this year.
Carolina (.902) - Cam Ward.

So yeah, Dallas. They've got some bad goalie contracts, but they're still in a playoff spot, second in the central. San Jose is also in a playoff spot, 2nd in the Pacific and 8th best in the league.

The teams that can't seem to get a handle on goaltending are the ones with bad skater groups in front of their tenders. The Oilers, etc. Most goaltending issues are one-offs unless there's a bad contract involved.

Goaltending can be figured out. The 2010 Blackhawks had 26th ranked goaltending and stomped their way to a cup.

I'd argue that the Blackhawks are the exemption, not the norm. Crawford also shines during the post season. Teams like San Jose, TB, Pittsburgh, Philly, and Dallas have made the playoffs with poor goaltending, but having won a cup with poor goaltending.

So can the Flames make the playoffs without an elite tender? Sure, but I cant see them winning it all without one.

GranteedEV
02-19-2016, 04:33 PM
My point is that goaltending can be rectified. It's not the first step in making a playoff team, it's the last step. Steps being

1) #1 Defenseman
2) #1 Center
3) #2 Defenseman
4) #2 Center
5) #3 Defenseman
6) #1 Winger
7) #2 Winger
8) #4 Defenseman
9) #3 Winger
10) #3 Center
11) #4 Winger
12) #1 Goaltender
13) Depth

So far I bolded the steps we've got covered in my opinion, so that's why I'm not too down on this team. Once we've got 1-11 covered, #12 will be that final step. #

Flames Draft Watcher
02-19-2016, 04:40 PM
My point is that goaltending can be rectified. It's not the first step in making a playoff team, it's the last step. Steps being

1) #1 Defenseman
2) #1 Center
3) #2 Defenseman
4) #2 Center
5) #3 Defenseman
6) #1 Winger
7) #2 Winger
8) #4 Defenseman
9) #3 Winger
10) #3 Center
11) #4 Winger
12) #1 Goaltender
13) Depth

So far I bolded the steps we've got covered in my opinion, so that's why I'm not too down on this team. Once we've got 1-11 covered, #12 will be that final step. #

1) #1 Defenseman - Brodie
2) #1 Center - Bennett
3) #2 Defenseman - Giordano
4) #2 Center - Monahan
5) #3 Defenseman - Hamilton
6) #1 Winger - Gaudreau
7) #2 Winger
8) #4 Defenseman
9) #3 Winger
10) #3 Center - Backlund
11) #4 Winger - Frolik
12) #1 Goaltender
13) Depth

For me we're only missing the #2 and #3 wingers, the #4 defenseman and the goalie. I think Ferland has a chance to develop into a complimentary power forward on the top two lines. Should be able to get a star winger or defenseman at the top of this draft. So close.

djsFlames
02-19-2016, 04:46 PM
Bennett will be the number one center if he can correct his streaky offense. Just needs more consistency in that regard, while improving on the details of the game.

I have to give it to those mentioning Backlund. Since December he's been a difference maker in his own regard every odd game and is back to producing at 0.5ppg, which is ideal for a 3 center.

That said, Monahan, Gio, Russell, Engelland, Colborne, Ferland have been roughly the same if not a little worse this season. Monahan did improve on aspects of his game but hasn't performed as well in other ways (no big game breaking goals like last year, some invisible nights where he looks tentative and slow)
And Wideman, Jooris, Bouma, Hiller, Hudler (- past 2 weeks) have taken a significant step back.

MarkGio
02-19-2016, 04:49 PM
Bennett is not a number 1 centre

Huntingwhale
02-19-2016, 04:52 PM
Brodie was a 4th round pick and literally none of us projected him to be the player he is. I thought he'd top out as a #5, #4 in a career season. We're watching a potential franchise guy unfold in front of our eyes. Not only that, but he has one of the best contracts in the league. Whenever I think of our cap situation and what it will become, l remember that Brodie is an absolute steal and deserves way more. Then I don't feel so bad, cause it could be so much worse.

And for all the flack the Flames have gotten this season and the ''failure'' of a season as some of you like to say, imagine if Brodie didn't' pan out. Imagine he was simply a #5 and not a core guy. What a massive, massive hole that would be. IMO he's the most important piece going forward (other then a #1G).

I'd also like to reiterate what an awesome contract he is on. 4.6/mil for the next 4 years after this season. And not only that, but he signed a bridge contract before to prove himself.

And he does this all without big fanfare, no drama and just kicks ass every single time he's on the ice. There is no player on the team I worry about less then Brodie. What a team player he is.

djsFlames
1) #1 Defenseman - Brodie
2) #1 Center - Bennett
3) #2 Defenseman - Giordano
4) #2 Center - Monahan
5) #3 Defenseman - Hamilton
6) #1 Winger - Gaudreau
7) #2 Winger - Laine/Puljujarvi
8) #4 Defenseman - Andersson
9) #3 Winger - Mangiapane
10) #3 Center - Backlund
11) #4 Winger - Frolik
12) #1 Goaltender - Gillies
13) Depth

Is my hope.

Flames Draft Watcher

Long term? I do think he is. He's the highest Calgary pick and was drafted to be a franchise centre and I think he will be.

Obviously he isn't at the moment, no one would be arguing that.

djsFlames
02-19-2016, 04:54 PM

Oh..my mistake. I wasn't aware players leveled off at 19 years of age?

MarkGio
02-19-2016, 04:55 PM
Oh..my mistake. I wasn't aware players leveled off at 19 years of age?

Which should be the response if I said "Bennett will never be a number one centre"

MarkGio
02-19-2016, 04:57 PM
Long term? I do think he is. He's the highest Calgary pick and was drafted to be a franchise centre and I think he will be.

Obviously he isn't at the moment, no one would be arguing that.

Let's just wait and see if he even becomes a centremen. I'll definitely agree that he'll likely be a top line player.

ScorchyScorch
02-19-2016, 09:51 PM
3 assists tonight.

He's gonna break 50 points and not even play a full season.

renny
02-19-2016, 11:41 PM
Brodie has been awesome for the Flames, definitely looking forward to having him on the Flames as a core member.

http://storage.calgarysun.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297620018642_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Ryan+Eggold+NBC+Upfront+Presentation+rhJvrx7Vkzvl. jpg

As a sidenote, anybody else watch the Blackist and thinks Brodie totally looks like this dude?

Strange Brew
02-19-2016, 11:51 PM
Brodie has been incredible. If the guy could shoot he would be a cinch to lead defensemen in scoring.

For me the bright spots have been he and Gaudreau emerging as dominant players and Bennett's play over last 20 games. No one else has really exceeded expectations.

AcGold
02-20-2016, 12:00 AM
Which should be the response if I said "Bennett will never be a number one centre"

What you said was ambiguous and correctly could be interpreted as saying he is not of first center quality in present or future tenses.

minnow
02-20-2016, 12:01 AM
Brodie was a 4th round pick and literally none of us projected him to be the player he is. I thought he'd top out as a #5, #4 in a career season. We're watching a potential franchise guy unfold in front of our eyes. Not only that, but he has one of the best contracts in the league. Whenever I think of our cap situation and what it will become, l remember that Brodie is an absolute steal and deserves way more. Then I don't feel so bad, cause it could be so much worse.

And for all the flack the Flames have gotten this season and the ''failure'' of a season as some of you like to say, imagine if Brodie didn't' pan out. Imagine he was simply a #5 and not a core guy. What a massive, massive hole that would be. IMO he's the most important piece going forward (other then a #1G).

I'd also like to reiterate what an awesome contract he is on. 4.6/mil for the next 4 years after this season. And not only that, but he signed a bridge contract before to prove himself.

And he does this all without big fanfare, no drama and just kicks ass every single time he's on the ice. There is no player on the team I worry about less then Brodie. What a team player he is.

I have really enjoyed watching Brodie progress. Right from his first game with the Flames you could tell he was going to be great. He is so good at creating space and taking control. So good at moving the puck out of the zone well and outstanding long passes, skating, smarts
and all those things already mentioned. And you're right about the "worry". I tend to think "Oh good, Brodie will get it figured out" when he has a shift.

calgarywinning
02-20-2016, 12:13 AM
An absolute treat to watch as a hockey fan. The full meal deal, defensively and offensively. Similar to Doughty in so many ways.

Worried about signing him to a big contract and play goes south, but based on current play he is an elite player.

Also, love him in interviews and how grounded he is. Big fan.

the2bears
02-20-2016, 12:29 AM

Or a response to "I was being obtuse".

dammage79
02-20-2016, 04:28 AM
TJ Brodie. If I am reading stats right, He's trending into Scott Niedermayer territory. I always wanted a Scot Niedermayer type of D man on the Flames, it appears we have one.

Maybe some of you think My praise is a little too high. But I don't think the comparison is that far off.

Caged Great
02-20-2016, 04:32 AM
TJ Brodie. If I am reading stats right, He's trending into Scott Niedermayer territory. I always wanted a Scot Niedermayer type of D man on the Flames, it appears we have one.

Maybe some of you think My praise is a little too high. But I don't think the comparison is that far off.

Consider two things, 1 the Devils won their first cup in Niedermayer's age 21 year and were an elite team throughout this period while the Flames were borderline terrible throughout. Also, the 90's were higher scoring than it has been recently.

Age 21
Niedermayer - 48 GP 4 G 15 A 19 PTS
Brodie - 54 GP 2 G 12 A 14 PTS

Age 22
Niedermayer - 79 GP 8 G 25 A 33 PTS
Brodie - 47 GP 2 G 12 A 14 PTS (24 pts if same GP)

Age 23
Niedermayer - 81 GP 5 G 30 A 35 PTS
Brodie - 81 GP 4 G 27 A 31 PTS

Age 24
Niedermayer - 81 GP 14 G 43 A 57 PTS
Brodie - 81 GP 11 G 30 A 41 PTS

Age 25
Niedermayer - 72 GP 11 G 35 A 46 PTS
Brodie - 48 GP 4 G 32 A 36 PTS

PPG pace for each
Niedermayer - 0.526
Brodie - 0.437

Not a bad comparison between them.

PeteMoss
02-20-2016, 08:27 AM
Completely useless accomplishment - I've seen Brodie play since he was in Peewee on a terrible minor hockey team where he was the best player by a country mile.

Textcritic
02-20-2016, 09:58 AM
The last point can't be understated. Although, I wouldn't consider Backlund a bright spot. Too many seasons have gone by where Backlund has simply plateaued in terms of production.
So, because he has "plateaued" in the past, you figure that this is a good reason to belittle his excellent play NOW? The fact that he is playing NOW better than he has at any point of his career would be the definition of a "bright spot," would it not? And I have to think that if you are not that high on Backlund right now, it must be because you haven't been paying attention. He has been really, really good for the past thirty games or so now—better than I have ever seen him.

Sylvanfan
02-20-2016, 12:02 PM
Brodie passing ability has caught up to his skating. That type of speed and ability to quickly move the puck on the back end is great to have.

Regarding the Niedermayer comparison....I'd throw out the 21 and 22 year old seasons. He was a number 3 pick who played in the NHL at 18 and full time at 19. He was a far more refined player at a young age. Brodie the 4th rounder needed some extra time now that he's had it we're seeing a top 10 pick calibre player...top 3 in some draft years.

ScorchyScorch
02-20-2016, 12:10 PM
Edmonton may have 6 Giordanos on their back end, but I bet they'd kill to have a Brodie.

Vinny01
02-20-2016, 12:26 PM
This season hasn't exactly been that bad. The horrible start and goaltending really screwed the team. Horrible goaltending has to be addressed but luckily all of our goalies are free agents.

Brodie has been incredible. He and Gio give us an elite pair and the team has been much better since Gio got back up to speed and Brodie returned from injury.
Johnny has been fantastic. No sophomore slump for him as he has ascended to Superstar status this year
Backlund quietly has come on as of late and is on pace for 41pts which is well worth the cap hit. He could be an interesting trade chip for the Flames this summer.

flames_fan_down_under
02-20-2016, 12:33 PM
I agree that T.J. Brodie is a great story. He is the quarterback of the teams offence IMO.

He brings such a great skill set to our team.

I was thinking about who is more valuable to the team, TJ Brodie or Gaudreau. In the end I think Gaudreau is slightly more valuable to the Flames but it's definitely close.

saillias
02-20-2016, 12:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbrlVeSUYAEuYRt.jpg
Courtesy of Carolyn Wilke from todaysslapshot.com

ScorchyScorch
02-20-2016, 12:54 PM
For being so hyped and universally loved, Doughty is never really up there in the stats department.

Street Pharmacist
02-20-2016, 01:19 PM
For being so hyped and universally loved, Doughty is never really up there in the stats department.
He's a great defenseman, but overrated IMO

flames_fan_down_under
02-20-2016, 01:35 PM

I was pretty damn impressed with him when he was on Team Canada at the Sochi Olympics.

Two Gold Medals.
Two Stanley Cups.

Still only 26 years old.

Do I think he's the best defence man in the NHL? No. Would I want him on the Flames, in a heartbeat.

GranteedEV
02-20-2016, 01:55 PM
Consider two things, 1 the Devils won their first cup in Niedermayer's age 21 year and were an elite team throughout this period while the Flames were borderline terrible throughout. Also, the 90's were higher scoring than it has been recently.

Age 21
Niedermayer - 48 GP 4 G 15 A 19 PTS
Brodie - 54 GP 2 G 12 A 14 PTS

Age 22
Niedermayer - 79 GP 8 G 25 A 33 PTS
Brodie - 47 GP 2 G 12 A 14 PTS (24 pts if same GP)

Age 23
Niedermayer - 81 GP 5 G 30 A 35 PTS
Brodie - 81 GP 4 G 27 A 31 PTS

Age 24
Niedermayer - 81 GP 14 G 43 A 57 PTS
Brodie - 81 GP 11 G 30 A 41 PTS

Age 25
Niedermayer - 72 GP 11 G 35 A 46 PTS
Brodie - 48 GP 4 G 32 A 36 PTS

PPG pace for each
Niedermayer - 0.526
Brodie - 0.437

Not a bad comparison between them.

I don't like the Neidermayer comparision because one was a top 5 draft pick, the other was a later rounder. One was supposed to be great, the other was a long shot. I think, even as often as we repeat it, Duncan Keith is a much better comparable, just subtract a year of age every time:

Age 22 Keith - 81 GP 9 G 12 A 21 PTS 0.259 PPG
Age 21 Brodie - 54 GP 2 G 12 A 14 PTS 0.259 PPG

Difference - 0%

Age 23 Keith - 82 GP 2 G 29 A 31 PTS 0.378 PPG
Age 22 Brodie - 47 GP 2 G 12 A 14 PTS 0.298 PPG

Difference - Keith leads by 27%

Age 24 Keith - 82 GP 12 G 20 A 32 PTS 0.390 PPG
Age 23 Brodie - 81 GP 4 G 27 A 31 PTS 0.383 PPG

Difference - Keith Leads by 2%

Age 25 Keith - 77 GP 8 G 36 A 44 PTS 0.571 PPG / 6th in Norris Voting
Age 24 Brodie - 81 GP 11 G 30 A 41 PTS .506 PPG

Difference - Keith Leads by 13%

Age 26 Keith - 82 GP 14 G 55 A 69 PTS 0.841 PPG / Norris Trophy
Age 25 Brodie- 48 GP 4 G 32 A 36 PTS 0.750 PPG

Difference - Keith leads by 12%

Now yeah, Keith is "better" in every compared year but scoring was also higher then too, and he was a year older in every comparision. And keep in mind, the 2010 Blackhawks were the most stacked team ever (cap era) and that's Keith's career high offensively. And Keith played 1st Power Play.

Not to get too zealous, but TJ Brodie has potential to have a better career than Duncan Keith.

Mean Mr. Mustard
02-20-2016, 03:15 PM
Not to get too zealous, but TJ Brodie has potential to have a better career than Duncan Keith.

While I appreciate what you are saying, the truth of the matter is that Niedermayer and Keith both have achieved more regular season success and more importantly playoff success than Brodie, granted both on much better teams, but their playoff numbers (and Conn Smythe wins) need to be accounted for as well.

Street Pharmacist
02-20-2016, 04:21 PM
I don't like the Neidermayer comparision because one was a top 5 draft pick, the other was a later rounder. One was supposed to be great, the other was a long shot. I think, even as often as we repeat it, Duncan Keith is a much better comparable, just subtract a year of age every time:

Age 22 Keith - 81 GP 9 G 12 A 21 PTS 0.259 PPG
Age 21 Brodie - 54 GP 2 G 12 A 14 PTS 0.259 PPG

Difference - 0%

Age 23 Keith - 82 GP 2 G 29 A 31 PTS 0.378 PPG
Age 22 Brodie - 47 GP 2 G 12 A 14 PTS 0.298 PPG

Difference - Keith leads by 27%

Age 24 Keith - 82 GP 12 G 20 A 32 PTS 0.390 PPG
Age 23 Brodie - 81 GP 4 G 27 A 31 PTS 0.383 PPG

Difference - Keith Leads by 2%

Age 25 Keith - 77 GP 8 G 36 A 44 PTS 0.571 PPG / 6th in Norris Voting
Age 24 Brodie - 81 GP 11 G 30 A 41 PTS .506 PPG

Difference - Keith Leads by 13%

Age 26 Keith - 82 GP 14 G 55 A 69 PTS 0.841 PPG / Norris Trophy
Age 25 Brodie- 48 GP 4 G 32 A 36 PTS 0.750 PPG

Difference - Keith leads by 12%

Now yeah, Keith is "better" in every compared year but scoring was also higher then too, and he was a year older in every comparision. And keep in mind, the 2010 Blackhawks were the most stacked team ever (cap era) and that's Keith's career high offensively. And Keith played 1st Power Play.

Brodie gets far less pp time too

ricardodw
02-20-2016, 04:22 PM
I was pretty damn impressed with him when he was on Team Canada at the Sochi Olympics.

Two Gold Medals.
Two Stanley Cups.

Still only 26 years old.

Do I think he's the best defence man in the NHL? No. Would I want him on the Flames, in a heartbeat.

Who is better than Doughty?

He plays the corners and the front of the net physically and has an edge.

Every game the kings have played for the last 7 years including 76 playoff games Doughty has been on the ice every basically second shift.

Try to think who the 2nd best King d-man has been over that span?

LA won a SC with Doughty and the Voynov-Muzzin and Willie Mitchell and Regehr playing on fumes.

codynw
02-20-2016, 04:31 PM

Doughty isn't loved for his offense. Not that he's bad offensively (especially considering who his coach is) but it's his all around game that people like.

Flames Draft Watcher
02-20-2016, 04:47 PM

Which shows why stats can be misleading. He's one of the top few defensemen in the NHL but people who only look at stats wouldn't see that. Gotta watch him to see the brilliance.

GranteedEV
02-20-2016, 04:52 PM
Which shows why stats can be misleading. He's one of the top few defensemen in the NHL but people who only look at stats wouldn't see that. Gotta watch him to see the brilliance.

Yep. If you fused Brodie and Gio into one right-handed shot defenseman, you get Drew Doughty. He's perfect.

Illuminaughty
02-20-2016, 05:04 PM
I think if you could pick one player to have on your team out of the whole league, for me it's Drew Doughty. He does just about everything at an elite level.

PeteMoss
02-21-2016, 03:25 PM
Yep. If you fused Brodie and Gio into one right-handed shot defenseman, you get Drew Doughty. He's perfect.

He's extremely good. But Brodie and Giordano and both way ahead of him offensively. He's never been a great PP guy.

Samonadreau
02-21-2016, 03:30 PM
Wt

FireItUp
08-23-2016, 12:01 PM
Poll Hijack! http://www.tsn.ca/franchise-faceoff :D

Cali Panthers Fan
08-23-2016, 12:05 PM
LOL, all the people picking Seabrook haven't seen him play lately. He's still good, but he's not necessarily better than any of the other defensemen on the list. Especially if you're building a team for the future, which the question asks.

Oh, and Gostisbehere is going to be a stud. I'd almost take him over Brodie. Almost.

djsFlames
08-23-2016, 12:12 PM
If the poll were taken in 2008, you take Seabrook all day long.

For the future? Brodie by a country mile.

GranteedEV
08-23-2016, 12:27 PM

1) #1 Defenseman
2) #1 Center
3) #2 Defenseman
4) #2 Center
5) #3 Defenseman
6) #1 Winger
7) #2 Winger
8) #4 Defenseman
9) #3 Winger
10) #3 Center
11) #4 Winger
12) #1 Goaltender
13) Depth

Heh, we are closer in August than in February:

1) #1 Defenseman (Brodie (and paid like a #4 :D )
2) #1 Center (Hopefully Bennett)
3) #2 Defenseman (Gio, more of a #1B :D)
4) #2 Center (Monahan, more of a #1B :D )
5) #3 Defenseman (Hamilton, more of a #2 :D)
6) #1 Winger (Johnny :D)
7) #2 Winger (Hopefully Tkachuk)
8) #4 Defenseman (Hopefully Wotherspoon, Jokipakka, or Kulak)
9) #3 Winger (Frolik
10) #3 Center (Backlund, more of a #2 :D)
11) #4 Winger (Brouwer)
12) #1 Goaltender (Elliott)

Only a few more roles to be filled!

Gaudreauvertime
08-23-2016, 12:56 PM
If the poll were taken in 2008, you take Seabrook all day long.

For the future? Brodie by a country mile.

I'm not even sure how that's debatable. Yea, Seabrook has cups. Put Brodie in his place and he'd have cups.

Brodie is a top 10 D in the league for my money, and he's only going to get better. He should be in contention for the Norris next year.

djsFlames
08-23-2016, 03:41 PM
Monahan is a #1 center already. Should be bolded. No he's not in the elite handful (yet), but he's already a #1 and producing like one. Even if Bennett doesn't pan out as that #1 to surpass him for the spot, Monahan is still a solid choice.

#2 winger and #4 defenseman are our biggest remaining needs.