PDA

View Full Version : 2016 NFL Off-Season Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Pagal4321
02-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Well no better time to start this one than now. Congrats to the NFL Champion Denver Broncos, now all eyes turn to the Combine starting February 26th.

NFL Draft order is set and the first round shapes up as follows:

1. Tennessee Titans
2. Cleveland Browns
3. San Diego Chargers
4. Dallas Cowboys
5. Jacksonville Jaguars
6. Baltimore Ravens
7. San Francisco 49ers
8. Miami Dolphins
9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
10. New York Giants
11. Chicago Bears
12. New Orleans Saints
13. Philadelphia Eagles
14. Oakland Raiders
15. Los Angeles Rams
16. Detroit Lions
17. Atlanta Falcons
18. Indianapolis Colts
19. Buffalo Bills
20. New York Jets
21. Washington
22. Houston Texans
23. Minnesota Vikings
24. Cincinnati Bengals
25. Seattle Seahawks
26. Green Bay Packers
27. Pittsburgh Steelers
28. Kansas City Chiefs
29. Arizona Cardinals
30. Carolina Panthers
31. Denver Broncos

Note: New England's first-round pick was taken away following the Deflate Gate scandal.

Who picks the first QB in this years draft? Will Peyton Manning retire? How much money will Von Miller make?

troutman
02-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Browns have to take Goff or Lynch, don't they?

ResAlien
02-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Browns have to take Goff or Lynch, don't they?

Your boy Peter King thinks they may take a run at Brock. Neither of those two are franchise guys anyway, take BPA and try again next year because they undoubtedly will draft top 5 again next year.

CofR
02-08-2016, 10:58 AM
ABC 6 in Philadelphia is reporting that Bills running back LeSean McCoy was involved in an incident early Sunday morning that left two off-duty police officers in the hospital.

http://deadspin.com/report-lesean-mccoy-involved-in-brawl-that-left-two-of-1757785045

transplant99
02-08-2016, 07:17 PM
...Johnny Manziel (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/16736/johnny-manziel) hit ex-girlfriend Colleen Crowley so hard that it ruptured her left eardrum, Crowley's attorney told Dallas-Fort Worth television station NBC5 on Monday.

"They expect [the ear] to heal, but it'll take a while," attorney Kathy Kinser told NBC5.

The affidavit states that Manziel dragged Crowley down some back steps to the hotel exit. As they passed a valet, Crowley states she pleaded with a valet as the pair left, saying: "Please don't let him take me. I'm scared for my life!" The valet responded he didn't know what to do.

Ass clown.

ben voyonsdonc
02-09-2016, 08:46 AM
Ass clown.

You are being far too kind to Manziel.

troutman
02-09-2016, 01:32 PM
Your boy Peter King thinks they may take a run at Brock. Neither of those two are franchise guys anyway, take BPA and try again next year because they undoubtedly will draft top 5 again next year.

Peter King also thinks CLE will go after Osweiler.

ResAlien
02-09-2016, 01:53 PM
Peter King also thinks CLE will go after Osweiler.

I...I thought that's what I said? I'm so confused.

And if Philly brings back Nick Goddam Foles the tank is definitely on. Drop some for Watson?

troutman
02-09-2016, 08:54 PM
I...I thought that's what I said? I'm so confused.

And if Philly brings back Nick Goddam Foles the tank is definitely on. Drop some for Watson?

Oops.

I was talking about his cousin, Ozzy Osweiler. :whistle:

DropIt
02-12-2016, 10:43 AM
Matt forte has announced the Bears won't be re-signing him this offseason. Tough to see him go, hope he lands somewhere competitive.

Pagal4321
02-12-2016, 11:06 AM
Matt forte has announced the Bears won't be re-signing him this offseason. Tough to see him go, hope he lands somewhere competitive.

Not surprising given how Langford was playing when he got injured. Similar to Rawls outplaying Lynch in Seattle, if Lynch didn't retire, there would be little reason to bring him back.

I think the days of paying veteran RBs big money might be behind us, unless they are game changers (Peterson, Charles, etc.).

Displaced Flames fan
02-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Who picks the first QB in this years draft? Will Peyton Manning retire? How much money will Von Miller make?

Cleveland, yes and a :poo: pot full.

MacDaddy77
02-12-2016, 11:46 AM

He'll look good in a patriots #22 next year

transplant99
02-16-2016, 07:28 PM
New England Patriots (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots) linebacker Jerod Mayo (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11244/jerod-mayo), 29, is retiring from the NFL, his agent, Sean Kiernan, confirmed to ESPN.

MacDaddy77
02-16-2016, 08:14 PM
Awesome. This alone frees up almost 7 million for pats to take a run at forte

Perhaps also Mario Williams and/or Alshon Jeffrey or Eric weddel.

Those would be my 4 top choices for the pats

rubecube
02-17-2016, 12:42 AM
No way the Bears let Jeffery go.

MacDaddy77
02-17-2016, 07:56 AM
Yea Jeffrey is wishful thinking. Pats wouldn't pay what he wants anyway. Wish they had a deep threat though

rubecube
02-17-2016, 02:35 PM
Yea Jeffrey is wishful thinking. Pats wouldn't pay what he wants anyway. Wish they had a deep threat though

Desean Jackson is likely going to be available.

Senator Clay Davis
02-19-2016, 01:27 PM
Rams have released Chris Long, James Laurinaitis and Jared Cook; Steelers TE Heath Miller has retired, which means maybe Pittsburgh fans won't shout out "HEEEEEATH" anymore when the other TE catches it.

corporatejay
02-19-2016, 03:36 PM
I'd take Chris Long and James Laurinaitis in a heartbeat if the money is right.

dirk diggler
02-19-2016, 07:08 PM
Defense and Gurley is all this team has, they probably had the worst QB play in the league last year, with all those picks they got from Washington, this has been quite the underachieving team, not sure how Fischer keeps his job...

Da_Chief
02-20-2016, 08:08 AM
We just interviewed Jordan Dangerfield, Steelers Safety. He was a practise roster player last year so he tells us what its like to be a practise roster player, their routine. What bets they have while being a scout defence and all. Fun interview.

http://ostalk.podbean.com/e/ostalk-episode-25-an-interview-with-steelers-safety-jordan-dangerfield/

Please check it out and any feedback would be appreciated.

DropIt
02-23-2016, 12:26 PM
Sounds like the Saints are going to cut Marques Colston.

about 2 years too late

puffnstuff
02-24-2016, 11:56 PM
I guess this can go in here. JPP suing ESPN and Adam Schefter for illegally obtaining his medical records and tweeting them.

Sainters7
02-25-2016, 11:53 AM
Sad about Colston, he was probably my favourite Saint over the Brees/Payton era. But unsurprising, he's a shadow of the player he used to be. Frankly I was surprised he was even on the team last season, I figured 2014 was his farewell tour.

Still such a great story, goes from the 4th from last pick in the draft and a guy who was reportedly badly out of shape at his first ever OTA's, to the Saints all-time leading WR. I'll miss the Quiet Storm.

Senator Clay Davis
02-27-2016, 06:30 PM
No shocker at all, but Peyton is indeed retiring.

His Bronc riding days are over; the last rodeo is done.

Peyton Manning is saying goodbye; it's been lots of fun.

I'm told Manning will acknowledge his decision by the end of this week.

In all probability, Peyton, who will turn 40 on March 24, is leaving the Broncos and retiring from the game he has played competitively for 29 years.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_29570921/paige-broncos-peyton-manning-will-ride-off-into

rubecube
02-28-2016, 04:47 PM
I'd wager the sexual assault allegations made the decision that much easier.

corporatejay
02-28-2016, 06:19 PM
I'd wager the sexual assault allegations made the decision that much easier.

The one from 20 years ago? Or is this a new one?

TBone290
02-28-2016, 10:44 PM
Mississippi State defensive lineman Chris Jones had trouble staying upright as he finished his 40 attempt today at the NFL combine, and replays revealed why: his genitals came flying out of his shorts while trying to beat five seconds.

Leave it up to the wisecracking Rich Eisen to note that “these guys fall down hard and long.”

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/defensive-lineman-crashes-out-of-nfl-combine-40-yard-da-1761792055

Hahaha Umm...yeah

Senator Clay Davis
03-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Bills have cut Mario Williams, as expected. Gotta think all teams desperate for pass rush will be giving him a call (Tampa and Dallas come to mind).

Displaced Flames fan
03-01-2016, 11:48 AM
Franchise tags applied today:

Carolina-Josh Norman
Denver-Von Miller
Washington-Kirk Cousins
Kansas City- Eric Berry

rubecube
03-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Eagles re-sign Badford Bradford to 2-year $36M extension, with $26M guaranteed. Excuse me while I go barf.

Senator Clay Davis
03-01-2016, 02:59 PM
Bradford will now have earned over $100 million in his career, all of earned pretty much on potential and not results. To be fair though because Flacco ruined QB contracts forever, $18 million is the going rate for a mediocre QB. Besides rookies, Tyrod Taylor is the best value in the league by a ridiculous margin.

corporatejay
03-01-2016, 03:10 PM
Eagles re-sign Badford Bradford to 2-year $36M extension, with $26M guaranteed. Excuse me while I go barf.

That is simply insane. INSANE.

corporatejay
03-01-2016, 03:11 PM
Bradford will now have earned over $100 million in his career, all of earned pretty much on potential and not results. To be fair though because Flacco ruined QB contracts forever, $18 million is the going rate for a mediocre QB. Besides rookies, Tyrod Taylor is the best value in the league by a ridiculous margin.

Flacco is at least competent. C'mon man, Bradford has proven NOTHING. I'm not convinced he's any better than Nick Foles.

ResAlien
03-01-2016, 03:11 PM

Dammit. More Bradford? He makes Alex Smith look like a gunslinger. Uuuuugh.

DropIt
03-01-2016, 03:14 PM
They should have just drafted someone at 13

Senator Clay Davis
03-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Flacco is at least competent. C'mon man, Bradford has proven NOTHING. I'm not convinced he's any better than Nick Foles.

He's an average NFL QB. Again, the standard now for that because of Flacco's contract is $15-18 million per season. Bradford easily gets this deal on market. Market is market....welcome to the new normal for average QBs. Osweiler though has to be crushed he couldn't just hand it off and not lose the game like Manning, he'd be looking at 5 yrs/$100 million at a minimum right now as a Super Bowl winning FA QB.

I mean Cousins now is getting $20 million next year because of a hot 10 game stretch. That's why more teams should take the Bills route and hope you can find a needle in a haystack and maybe find a starting calibre QB for scrap heap prices.

corporatejay
03-01-2016, 03:29 PM
He's an average NFL QB. Again, the standard now for that because of Flacco's contract is $15-18 million per season. Bradford easily gets this deal on market. Market is market....welcome to the new normal for average QBs. Osweiler though has to be crushed he couldn't just hand it off and not lose the game like Manning, he'd be looking at 5 yrs/$100 million at a minimum right now as a Super Bowl winning FA QB.

I mean Cousins now is getting $20 million next year because of a hot 10 game stretch. That's why more teams should take the Bills route and hope you can find a needle in a haystack and maybe find a starting calibre QB for scrap heap prices.

Cousins is on a 1 year deal though. He'd never get that on the open market. He's being paid 20 million because they want to get another 'prove it' year out of him.

The raiders should try and get their #### together, they have a real gem in Derek Carr and he's being paid next to nothing. Their window to win is going to close soon.

To be fair, I don't even think that Sam Bradford is even mediocre.

Senator Clay Davis
03-01-2016, 03:44 PM
I would call Bradford the definition of mediocre, that's why he got this deal. He's shown flashes of a real franchise QB, but he's mostly been average to below average. The Eagles are gambling those flashes turn out to be the early signs of a great QB.

And because of the Kaepernick deal structure, I bet Cousins would have gotten the exact same deal on the open market as Kaepernick, heavy dollars but lots of outs in it. The desperation teams have for QBs too also drives the prices of average QBs through the roof.

nik-
03-01-2016, 03:52 PM

haha what in the actual ####?

rubecube
03-01-2016, 04:21 PM
They should have just drafted someone at 13

I think the two-year deal means they're still likely to do so if it's also BPA.

habernac
03-02-2016, 03:03 PM
Brandon Lafell and Scott Chandler released from the Patriots. Who am I going to blame for all the dropped passes now?

transplant99
03-02-2016, 04:53 PM
The Atlanta Falcons (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/atl/atlanta-falcons) have released Roddy White (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8442/roddy-white), the franchise's all-time leading receiver, with two years remaining on his contract.

DropIt
03-02-2016, 06:16 PM
http://www.dabears.com/attachments/upload_2016-3-1_18-55-7-png.12965/

Janoris Jenkins of the Rams is likely to hit free agency as the team chose to FT Trumaine Johnson leaving Jenkins high-and-dry.

I would love to see the Bears make a run at him, since our secondary is beyond awful, but I think the Giants, Bucs and Raiders all have more cap room and equally as bad CB needs.

rubecube
03-07-2016, 02:39 PM
Maxwell and Alonso to the Dolphins for picks is apparently done pending physicals. Murray close to being traded as well. Howie cleaning up Chip's mess from last year.

Displaced Flames fan
03-07-2016, 02:42 PM
Good to see a Griz player like Trumaine Johnson do so well.

ResAlien
03-07-2016, 02:53 PM
The 3 year 45 mil offer alleged to Brock is hopefully only like 30 mil guaranteed or less. Let the Texans or Rams pay him, Fitzpatrick, Siemian or someone else can run that offense for now.

rubecube
03-07-2016, 02:54 PM
No woman puts her hands on Brock Osweiler's pizza! What a chump.

http://deadspin.com/brock-osweiler-gets-into-physical-altercation-while-hol-1763355137

ResAlien
03-07-2016, 03:04 PM
No woman puts her hands on Brock Osweiler's pizza! What a chump.

http://deadspin.com/brock-osweiler-gets-into-physical-altercation-while-hol-1763355137
I'm usually on board with your various crusades but I think I'll save my outrage on this one. Just seems like a bunch of drunk people outside of a pizza place. Ray Rice this is not.

rubecube
03-07-2016, 03:13 PM
Shoulda green texted it. It's typical deadspin sensationalism.

Senator Clay Davis
03-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Couldn't have been that drunk, they made it to a pizza place instead of settling for the hot dog guy outside the bar.

nik-
03-07-2016, 04:37 PM
deadspin is probably one of the worst sites on the internet.

rubecube
03-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Probably?

nik-
03-07-2016, 04:51 PM
well I'm sure there are snuff sites out there somewhere. I'm hesitant to be absolute

But deadspin is the snuff film of sports "journalism"

rubecube
03-07-2016, 05:11 PM
DeMarco Murray to the Titans. I mean good for the Eagles, but what the hell is going on in Tennessee?

KelVarnsen
03-07-2016, 05:15 PM
DeMarco Murray to the Titans. I mean good for the Eagles, but what the hell is going on in Tennessee?

So long DeMarco!

ResAlien
03-07-2016, 05:22 PM
The Chip purge continues. Wish they hadn't thrown good money after bad with Sam but at least the rest of Chip's awful mistakes seem to be gone. Anyone left who should probably start packing?

Senator Clay Davis
03-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Eagles either going wild in FA or gunning for that #1 pick next year. Nice to rid of horrible contracts but that roster is weak before these moves so that is a bad looking team unless they do a bunch in FA.

ResAlien
03-07-2016, 05:55 PM
Eagles either going wild in FA or gunning for that #1 pick next year. Nice to rid of horrible contracts but that roster is weak before these moves so that is a bad looking team unless they do a bunch in FA.

Yeah dumping a highly paid backup RB, vastly overpaid #2-3 CB and an IR slot decimates that roster. They're already not going to be great so getting out from underneath the garbage contracts that Chip left them with sets them up well going forward. Have to put out the dumpster fire that was left before you can rebuild it. I imagine a few years of awfulness are ahead but with how crap the division is it's still wide open.

rubecube
03-07-2016, 06:58 PM

Seriously?

- Maxwell was being outplayed by both Rowe and Carroll (until his injury) by the end of the season.
- Murray was easily the worst RB on the roster
- Alonso was terrible and got overtaken by Hicks until Hicks hurt himself and went on IR

They're not a good team but none of these moves make them any worse, and they just freed up about $10M in cap space in the process.

rubecube
03-07-2016, 07:00 PM
The Chip purge continues. Wish they hadn't thrown good money after bad with Sam but at least the rest of Chip's awful mistakes seem to be gone. Anyone left who should probably start packing?

Ryan Mathews is supposedly also being shopped. I would also expect them to cut Sanchez and draft a backup QB. Another possibility is Barwin, but I think they only move in a player for player deal.

ResAlien
03-08-2016, 08:19 AM
Ryan Mathews is supposedly also being shopped. I would also expect them to cut Sanchez and draft a backup QB. Another possibility is Barwin, but I think they only move in a player for player deal.

I don't think either of them are anchors that need to be moved. I'm a Barwin fan, definitely want him to stay. Matthews is whatever, not a giant contract and a good enough player. Philly does need another RB though, go CB in the draft and RB in free agency?

Read a rumour that they may swap 1sts with Miami in their trade. If that's true then Roseman is a Treliving level wizard.

Senator Clay Davis
03-08-2016, 09:14 AM
Seriously?

- Maxwell was being outplayed by both Rowe and Carroll (until his injury) by the end of the season.
- Murray was easily the worst RB on the roster
- Alonso was terrible and got overtaken by Hicks until Hicks hurt himself and went on IR

They're not a good team but none of these moves make them any worse, and they just freed up about $10M in cap space in the process.

Well everyone knew Maxwell was a bad signing before he signed with anyone last year. We all knew it was a Seattle system CB, and that someone would overpay because CBs are of high value. Murray has a bad contract no doubt, but the only time he didn't perform well in his career, besides injuries, was last year. Chip I think it's fair to say badly misused him. Alonso is still on his rookie deal and had a great rookie year. Maybe he was awful last year, but giving up on him that fast doesn't seem wise. Maybe a new coach does better. I'd have kept him at least, because he's cheap and would be a FA next year anyways so if he sucks, he's out.

And I say this because I'm seeing the exact things I saw when the Bucs transitioned over from Schiano to Lovie. Trading a lot of "overpaid, bad" players...except when it happened with the Bucs, they replaced those overpaid, bad players with even worse players through FA...and the players they dumped suddenly played significantly better elsewhere. You can't undervalue leaving a crappy organization/coaching structure. If the Eagles stay out of FA, I think they'll be ok. Given the contract Roseman gave to Bradford, I'd want them staying the hell out of FA. But if he goes in...I'd be deeply worried as an Eagles fans, given the Bradford contract.

Senator Clay Davis
03-08-2016, 09:37 AM
"Let me begin by apologizing for making this announcement via a statement and not in person. While I truly respect the significance of this, those who know me best will understand and not be surprised that I choose not to have a press conference for this announcement.

"After much prayer, thought and discussion with loved ones, I have made the difficult decision to retire from the Lions and pro football. I have played my last game of football.

"Let me assure you that this was not an easy or hasty decision. As I stated, I, along with those closest to me, have put a lot of time, deliberation and prayer into this decision and I truly am at peace with it.

"I also want you to know that I have the utmost respect and admiration for the game of football. It has provided so much for me and my family and I will be forever grateful to the game.

"With the reality of my decision, I realize there are a lot of people I would like to thank. I must start with my family – thank you for all your love and support.

"I also want to especially thank Mrs. Ford and the Ford Family for all their support over the years. They are tremendous owners and I loved playing for them. I would also like to recognize Mr. Ford, who I was honored to know and play for before he passed away.

"While it would be hard to name them all, I would also like to thank all of my teammates past and present.

"I also want to thank all of my coaches who I played for, in particular Coach Caldwell for his support, wisdom and guidance over the past two seasons. I loved playing for Coach Caldwell.

"There are so many other people I would like to recognize and thank for what they have done for me throughout my career, but rather than risk forgetting someone, I will simply say "thanks" to everyone.

"And finally, to the fans of Detroit and Michigan. I so appreciated your passionate support over the years and truly enjoyed playing for you. I loved playing in Detroit and will forever be a Lion. My biggest regret is that I wasn't able to help give our fans a championship. But I do believe the future of the Lions is bright and with the leadership from people like Rod Wood and Bob Quinn, who I have gotten to know over the past few months, I am confident that our fans will soon be rewarded with the championship you deserve.

"From the bottom of my heart I thank you all for everything."
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/article-1/Statement-from-Calvin-Johnson/bb88f791-0815-42a1-9195-8786e332a224

Pagal4321
03-08-2016, 10:11 AM
As a Vikings fan, this makes me happy. As a football fan, this makes me sad.

Galakanokis
03-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Hard to complain to much about the Eagles moves so far. The Bradford signing is questionable no doubt but it's a two year deal with an east out. Dumping Murray and Maxwell is awesome, just wasted roster space and money. I could have kept Alonso but not sad to see him go. I think there is a Detroit linebacker of two lined up to play with Schwartz again.

Displaced Flames fan
03-08-2016, 12:11 PM
Broncos release Owen Daniels, Louis Vazquez and Aaron Brewer to clear cap space. I would expect a huge Von Miller deal to be announced soon. I will respectfully disagree with Res, and he knows I am biased, but not signing Osweiler would be a complete disaster. As long as the money isn't crazy, the Broncos MUST get that deal done and I expect they will.

ResAlien
03-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Broncos release Owen Daniels, Louis Vazquez and Aaron Brewer to clear cap space. I would expect a huge Von Miller deal to be announced soon. I will respectfully disagree with Res, and he knows I am biased, but not signing Osweiler would be a complete disaster. As long as the money isn't crazy, the Broncos MUST get that deal done and I expect they will.

I don't dislike Brock, I just think with the market as it is his pay will be far beyond his value. Let Houston give him the moon and sign Fitzpatrick to a similar (cheaper) deal. Draft and develop another QB.

I think keeping Trevaythan is more important to the team. Hopefully he's getting a deal. Underrated piece of that defence.

Malik Jackson off to Florida 6 years 90 mil in Jacksonville? Maybe he can bunk with Julius Thomas. Happy trails bud. Time for Sly Williams to step up.

Displaced Flames fan
03-08-2016, 12:47 PM
I don't dislike Brock, I just think with the market as it is his pay will be far beyond his value. Let Houston give him the moon and sign Fitzpatrick to a similar (cheaper) deal. Draft and develop another QB.

I think keeping Trevaythan is more important to the team. Hopefully he's getting a deal. Underrated piece of that defence.

Malik Jackson off to Florida 6 years 90 mil in Jacksonville? Maybe he can bunk with Julius Thomas. Happy trails bud. Time for Sly Williams to step up.

I think that's par for the course for Quarterbacks though. The other thing is, there isn't a QB in this draft I'd waste a pick on thinking he was likely to be a franchise guy.

Agree completely about Trevathan.

rubecube
03-08-2016, 02:41 PM
Murray has a bad contract no doubt, but the only time he didn't perform well in his career, besides injuries, was last year. Chip I think it's fair to say badly misused him.

Murray's bad year was predicted by just about every single NFL analyst out there. The Cowboys basically ran him into the ground the year before and he had no legs last year. I don't know that it's fair to say that Chip misused him because Mathews, Sproles, and Barner all performed better than him in the same offense.

Alonso is still on his rookie deal and had a great rookie year. Maybe he was awful last year, but giving up on him that fast doesn't seem wise. Maybe a new coach does better. I'd have kept him at least, because he's cheap and would be a FA next year anyways so if he sucks, he's out.

He's also coming off multiple knee surgeries and it's just as likely that his rookie year was an outlier. Additionally, as I said, he'd have been third on the depth chart behind Hicks and Kendricks. If he goes on to recover and become great player then so be it, but if not then it's better to get something for him this year than lose him for nothing next year. I'd also wager that he was thrown in to make taking on Maxwell's contract more palatable.

If the Eagles stay out of FA, I think they'll be ok. Given the contract Roseman gave to Bradford, I'd want them staying the hell out of FA. But if he goes in...I'd be deeply worried as an Eagles fans, given the Bradford contract.

Meh, the Bradford contract is only for two years and he would've gotten that or more on the open market. Is he getting paid too much? Probably, but it's not like there were better options awaiting the Eagles in FA, and the draft is looking pretty iffy for QBs this year.

Howie's track record in FA is a mixed bag, but I think he learned big time from the Dream Team fiasco. They absolutely need to spend in FA, but they need to be smart and go after the low-risk, high-reward types and address the holes in the secondary and on the offensive line. Signing McKelvin to a two-year deal today looks like a solid opening move.

rubecube
03-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Just saw a rumour that the Eagles/Dolphins trade basically works out like this:

To MIA Alonso, Maxwell, 1st (13th overall)
To PHI 1st (8th overall), 4th

That's an absolute steal for the Eagles if true. I'm containing my enthusiasm though until I see it finalized.

Galakanokis
03-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Eagles signed Bills corner McKelvin to a two year deal. Probably a slot corner but Schwartz is familiar with him so he might move around. I think you see the Eagles grab a LB or two and a veteran wideout in free agency, I think they will be active.

transplant99
03-08-2016, 06:14 PM
Defensive end Malik Jackson (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15047/malik-jackson) confirmed to ESPN's Josina Anderson on Tuesday that a report he is leaving the Denver Broncos (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/den/denver-broncos) to join the Jacksonville Jaguars (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/jax/jacksonville-jaguars) is true and he has agreed to a deal with Jacksonville.

A league source told ESPN's Michael DiRocco that Jackson's deal is for six years and worth $90 million, averaging $15 million per season. NFL Network had earlier reported terms of the contract.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14928456/malik-jackson-says-leaving-denver-broncos-jacksonville-jaguars

devo22
03-08-2016, 07:14 PM
Raiders sign both Kelechi Osemele and Bruce Irvin, wow ...

Senator Clay Davis
03-09-2016, 07:51 AM
Just saw a rumour that the Eagles/Dolphins trade basically works out like this:

To MIA Alonso, Maxwell, 1st (13th overall)
To PHI 1st (8th overall), 4th

That's an absolute steal for the Eagles if true. I'm containing my enthusiasm though until I see it finalized.

Or...

The Miami Dolphins are considering backing out of a trade agreed to earlier this week with the Eagles because of their concern about a shoulder injury suffered by cornerback Byron Maxwell, league sources told ESPN's Ed Werder and Chris Mortensen.

The Dolphins were to acquire Maxwell and linebacker Kiko Alonso from the Eagles for draft-pick compensation, but the trade was contingent upon Maxwell and Alonso passing physicals and could not be official before the league's new year opened at 4 p.m. ET Wednesday.

As of Tuesday night, sources said the Dolphins considered the trade dead because of their medical staff's concern over Maxwell's injury, which forced him to finish the 2015 season on injured reserve. If they go through with the trade, the Dolphins would be inheriting a huge contract for Maxwell, who signed a six-year, $63 million deal with the Eagles as a free agent last season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14933355/byron-maxwell-shoulder-injury-cancel-miami-dolphins-philadelphia-eagles-trade-involving-kiko-alonso

That would be brutal for the Eagles. More than likely to make this happen the compensation will have to increase for Miami.

Pagal4321
03-09-2016, 08:13 AM
Jacksonville and Oakland have a TON of money to spend ($73 million and $72 million under the cap, respectively) so it won't be a surprise when details emerge of their crazy contracts!

Senator Clay Davis
03-09-2016, 08:20 AM
This is the first year the cap floor actually comes into effect (i.e. teams can't carry over cap space), so we're going to see a lot of contracts that seem stupid because teams have to overpay. I'm not sure where the Giants qualify on that list in terms of the floor, but giving Janoris Jenkins $12 million a season certainly qualifies as a stupid contract. CBs now get as overpaid as QBs it seems.

Like how does Derek Wolfe feel? I'm sure he's glad to be in Denver and he got paid well, but he probably could have earned more than twice as much on the open market seeing what Malik Jackson got. Lots of money this year with the cap going up too

swo2k1
03-09-2016, 09:54 AM
Or...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14933355/byron-maxwell-shoulder-injury-cancel-miami-dolphins-philadelphia-eagles-trade-involving-kiko-alonso

That would be brutal for the Eagles. More than likely to make this happen the compensation will have to increase for Miami.

According to the twitterverse the deal is back on.

ResAlien
03-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Rumour floated by Ian Rapoport that if the Broncos lose Brock to the Texans they'll trade for Kaepernick. I could live with that.

Also as rumoured the Eagles will sign Chase Daniels. Hopefully he beats out Bradford

Senator Clay Davis
03-09-2016, 10:26 AM
According to the twitterverse the deal is back on.

He passed the physical. But no 4th round pick, it's just a straight swap of 1st rounders and the players. For the Eagles this was a win just for the contracts, the 5 spot move in a weak draft is whatever. And I'd actually be surprised if Chase Daniel isn't Eagles starter by midseason, given all the advantages he'll have already knowing the offense front to back, and Bradford being decidedly average.

As to Kaepernick/Osweiler, Kaep has shown he can be a game manager with an elite defense already so seems like a logical fit. If the Broncos have such little interest in bring Brock back, that should be a pretty big red flag for the Texans or anyone else pursuing him.

Galakanokis
03-09-2016, 10:48 AM
Moving up 5 spots in a weak draft while dumping two players they didn't want anyways is a massive win. Spin it anyway you want this is a great move by the Eagles. So is the Murray trade. Getting out of those contracts while not taking any cap hits is very good work.

I'll add that I am much happier with this years free agent signings than last years. I like McKelvin and McLeod.

rubecube
03-09-2016, 11:32 AM
Murray trade is a swap of 4th round picks. Whatever, getting that anchor of a contract off the books was worth it. If they sign Daniels, it's a pretty good sign that they're not high on any of the QBs in the draft this year. Could easily go RB or OT at that spot. I'd be perfectly happy getting Elliott there.

The Big Chill
03-09-2016, 11:55 AM
He passed the physical. But no 4th round pick, it's just a straight swap of 1st rounders and the players. For the Eagles this was a win just for the contracts, the 5 spot move in a weak draft is whatever. And I'd actually be surprised if Chase Daniel isn't Eagles starter by midseason, given all the advantages he'll have already knowing the offense front to back, and Bradford being decidedly average.

As to Kaepernick/Osweiler, Kaep has shown he can be a game manager with an elite defense already so seems like a logical fit. If the Broncos have such little interest in bring Brock back, that should be a pretty big red flag for the Texans or anyone else pursuing him.

I think it's mostly about price for Brock O. Denver is short on cap space and may not want to pay the ~18 mil per year for a largely unproven player. I don't think it's as much of a red flag as it is a risk assessment/management situation.

I'll be happy if the Texans land Brock, as long as the contract isn't too long. There are only one or two QBs in this draft who can start from day one, and it would cost an enormous amount to move up from pick 22 to get one of them.

It's a risk for Houston, but if it works out it could make them a solid playoff team immediately.

dissentowner
03-09-2016, 12:19 PM
The Dolphins boggle my mind, wtf are they doing?

CofR
03-09-2016, 12:27 PM
Bucs re-sign Doug Martin

devo22
03-09-2016, 01:04 PM
solid offseason for the Steelers so far. Re-signed Foster and Gay among other depth players and got Ladarius Green to replace Heath Miller, so now they can focus on improving the defense in the draft.

Pagal4321
03-09-2016, 01:06 PM
Whaaaaaaat?

‏@Rand_Getlin
I'm told QB Brock Osweiler has agreed to a deal in principle with the Houston #Texans.

devo22
03-09-2016, 01:08 PM
sooooo ... Kaepernick to Denver?

EDIT: or RGIII ...

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
With Brock Osweiler off to Houston, RGIII is on Broncos' list of replacement quarterbacks, per source. Could be visiting Denver.

Displaced Flames fan
03-09-2016, 01:15 PM
Just infuriating. What a waste of 4 years.

Kaepernick is Plan B? Seriously? The guy is beyond awful. He has no ability to get past his first read. RG3? Slightly less horrifying of an option.

They might as well go with Siemian and suck ass for a couple of years until the next can't miss QB comes along.

I have a feeling I will be even more pissed when I hear the number the Texans are giving him.

troutman
03-09-2016, 01:17 PM
All-Pro C Mack leaves Browns for the Falcons.

habernac
03-09-2016, 01:17 PM
Dis, you had to think when the Broncos switched back to Manning late season his days there were numbered.

The Big Chill
03-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Big start to FA for Houston. Brock O and Lamar Miller both reported to be signing.

Senator Clay Davis
03-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Broncos should trade for Mike Glennon from Tampa. Better than Kaepernick or RGIII by a good margin. Texans also got Lamar Miller too. If that Houston offense can be respectable, they are a big threat next year with an elite defense themselves.

Displaced Flames fan
03-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Dis, you had to think when the Broncos switched back to Manning late season his days there were numbered.

No, I really didn't.

1. His play was fine in that San Diego game. The team around him was fumbling the game away.

2. Peyton F...ing Manning was not going to have his last chance at a Super Bowl denied.

It kind of made sense to me. Maybe Osweiler soured after it, but I'm pretty sure the Broncos didn't make him an offer that told him "We want you as our starting QB moving forward." If they had, I have to think that option looks much better than going to Houston to him.

Displaced Flames fan
03-09-2016, 01:28 PM
....and really, the bottom line to me is the Broncos thinking in this. How can any other option they have be better than Osweiler at this point? Are they really willing to hand the keys over to guys who couldn't hold their jobs on their last teams over a few Million a year? Not to mention that if you go with Kaepernick, you have to give up something to get him and his contract is not a bargain!

The Big Chill
03-09-2016, 01:30 PM
4 years, 72 mil for Osweiler

Flabbibulin
03-09-2016, 01:31 PM

Lol, pretty big payday for beating the Patriots at the peak of their injury woes...

Senator Clay Davis
03-09-2016, 01:31 PM
Odds Peyton unretires now? Lol...

rubecube
03-09-2016, 01:33 PM

Jesus that's steep. How much is guaranteed and what's the cap hit are the big questions.

Eagles have signed former Texans G Brandon Brooks to a 5-year $40M contract. Huge upgrade to the offensive line. Still need another guard, but Howie's having a solid offseason so far.

Wood
03-09-2016, 01:35 PM
I'd prefer RG3 over Kapernick if those are the options. Hell, might as well pick up both and see who sucks less

I'm not sold on Osweiller so I don't see it as a big loss, we were screwed when it came a Manning replacement regardless

rubecube
03-09-2016, 01:36 PM
Is DFF the only Broncos fan who's actually upset about this?

devo22
03-09-2016, 01:37 PM
4 years and 72m for Osweiler
4 years and 26m for Miller

Texans splashing cash today. I kind of get it, given that they have a great defense and desperately need some offensive weapons, but that's a lot of money and a lot of risk with Osweiler.

Senator Clay Davis
03-09-2016, 01:40 PM
Broncos apparently offered Brock $16 million per. So looks more like he felt shafted by the decision to go back to Peyton than it is chasing the money.

ResAlien
03-09-2016, 01:41 PM

Disappointed sure but not upset. Keeping him would have been the safest play but like I said previously he's not worth what he's getting paid. 4 years 72 mil? That's money better spent in other places for the Broncos.

Plus Denver's just going to sign Brees to a retirement contract in a year or two anyway right ;)

The Big Chill
03-09-2016, 01:42 PM
4 years and 72m for Osweiler
4 years and 26m for Miller

Texans splashing cash today. I kind of get it, given that they have a great defense and desperately need some offensive weapons, but that's a lot of money and a lot of risk with Osweiler.

I'm happy with the risk. The other options to solve the QB problem are putting a package together for Goff or Wentz, or picking a backup off of another roster like Glennon, or Kaep. Every option is costly and risky. At least with Osweiler is only $$ and cap space we're risking, and we keep our picks to rebuild the Oline.

It has potential to fail, but I'd rather take the risk then run out a bunch of crappy QBs again next season.

ResAlien
03-09-2016, 01:49 PM
Forte to the Jets seems odd, Pats fan I know was frothing at the mouth saying he'd sign with New England.

Galakanokis
03-09-2016, 01:54 PM
Osweiler Vs. Hoyer In 2015 over first 7 starts I believe.

QB CMP ATT CMP% YDS Y/ATT TD NT

Osweiler 156 251 62.2% 1821 7.3 9 5

Hoyer 158 262 60.3% 1847 7.0 12 5

Displaced Flames fan
03-09-2016, 01:56 PM
Anyone know what Kaepernicks AAV is? SF says they aren't trading him anyway, thankfully, but I'm curious.

Galakanokis
03-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Any interest in Fitzpatrick from the Broncos?

devo22
03-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Ryan Fitzpatrick will officially be a free agent, and it seems the #Jets have kept things at arm's length. He'll be a free agent.

wouldn't that be an option for Denver? I mean, if the alternatives are Kaepernick and RGIII ...

Displaced Flames fan
03-09-2016, 02:04 PM

I'm going to be more upset than anyone. I'm from Kalispell, MT as most know and have been a Broncos fan since I was about 10 years old. They draft a kid to play QB from Kalispell, MT. How cool is that? To root for a hometown kid on your favorite team?

That said, I don't think that factor is blinding me here. I absolutely understand where Res is coming from on this, but I'm not interested in losing seasons waiting for the next option over $2M per year in a world where the salary cap is $155M plus. The market is changing. Look at what Malik Jackson is going to get today. He'll have a salary higher than Von Miller's tag #. That's insane, but that's the market and the market will adjust. In 2 or 3 years Jackson won't be among the leagues highest paid defenders and in 2 or 3 years Osweiler will be in the bottom half of the league in terms of salary for a QB. Hell, Jackson wasn't even a starter in Denver.

I just don't see how you invest 4 years training a guy behind one of the GOATs and then let him walk away and think that guys that have already failed on other teams are a great backup plan.

Senator Clay Davis
03-09-2016, 02:05 PM
^^Fitz I would think is looking to get paid first and foremost. I doubt the Broncos offer much more than a 2-3 year deal to any FA.

Displaced Flames fan
03-09-2016, 02:07 PM
Fitz>>>>>Kap and RGIII

devo22
03-09-2016, 02:09 PM
Broncos also lose Danny Trevathan to Chicago.

ResAlien
03-09-2016, 02:10 PM
You let him walk away when the contract demands for what he provides exceeds the value you've placed on him. The 4 years invested are a sunk cost, he is what he showed he was: an average QB. The money he's being paid is what you pay someone who can win you games, not just play in them.

I trust in Elway to make the best long term decision for the team. This front office saw him in practice and games every day for four years, if they don't want to pay him franchise money then I'm sure they have their reasons.

Edit: and dammit I liked Danny. That's a shame.

Erick Estrada
03-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Ha ha ha it must suck to be a Texans fan as it's one middling QB to another. I am STUNNED they are paying that big pylon almost $40 million guaranteed based on 7 career starts. Stunned! I was so hopping he would stay with the Broncos so Mack could have a 10 sack head start on the rest of the league based on playing the Broncos twice a season. IMO the Broncos will find a better QB via trade or free agency.

Trojan97
03-09-2016, 02:16 PM
Osweiler is guaranteed 37 million. 18 of which will be paid out in year 1. I'm more than ok with that as a Texans fan considering he's going to get at least two years to prove himself as a starter. By the time years 3/4 roll around, he'll either be "the guy" or you can cut him with minimal dead money on the books.

Joborule
03-09-2016, 02:17 PM

Jesus Christ. Yeah, let him go after the money.

Displaced Flames fan
03-09-2016, 02:56 PM
Edit: and dammit I liked Danny. That's a shame.

Yes, great player. Made Wesley Woodyard expendable and that's saying something in my mind. No surprise Fox went after him.

devo22
03-09-2016, 02:58 PM
Giants sign Olivier Vernon and give him 85m over 5 years, with over 52m guaranteed ... holy cow

Senator Clay Davis
03-09-2016, 03:03 PM
This has to be one of the stupidest days in FA history in terms of contracts given out. At this point is Von Miller for $25 million per that preposterous? He's obviously the best player available.

Senator Clay Davis
03-09-2016, 03:49 PM
Adam SchefterVerified account ‏@AdamSchefter 15m15 minutes ago
NFL announces Chiefs to forfeit 2016 3rd round pick and 2017 6th round pick for violating Anti Tampering Policy

Adam SchefterVerified account ‏@AdamSchefter 12m12 minutes ago
In addition to lost draft picks, Chiefs' organization fined $250,000. Andy Reid fined $75,000 and John Dorsey fined $25,000.

The NFL essentially encourages tampering with this "negotiating period", and now is gonna punish someone for it? Dumb league is dumb.

rubecube
03-09-2016, 04:22 PM
The NFL essentially encourages tampering with this "negotiating period", and now is gonna punish someone for it? Dumb league is dumb.

More to it than that.

NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations TROY VINCENT today advised the Kansas City Chiefs of the discipline being imposed for a violation of the Anti-Tampering Policy relating to improper contact during the 2015 "Negotiating Period" with prospective unrestricted free agent player Jeremy Maclin, then under contract to the Philadelphia Eagles.

Vincent informed Chiefs Chairman and CEO Clark Hunt by letter that the club and individual employees had violated the Anti-Tampering Policy by having direct communications with Maclin during the Negotiating Period, which is specifically prohibited. Because of those impermissible contacts, Kansas City will forfeit its third-round pick in the 2016 NFL Draft and its sixth-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft and pay a fine of $250,000. In addition, Head Coach Andy Reid has been fined $75,000 and General Manager John Dorsey has been fined $25,000.

EDIT: I doubt the Chiefs care. I'm sure they would have been happy to give up a 3rd and a 7th for Maclin.

Bobblehead
03-09-2016, 04:48 PM
Anyone know what Kaepernicks AAV is? SF says they aren't trading him anyway, thankfully, but I'm curious.

They have been saying that they want Kaep, but he wants out. The belief is head office is saying they want to keep him so they can trade him vs cutting him outright.

rubecube
03-09-2016, 04:55 PM
They have been saying that they want Kaep, but he wants out. The belief is head office is saying they want to keep him so they can trade him vs cutting him outright.

As bad as he was last year, I would think there'd be a market for him. Jets, Browns, Rams, and Broncos all need a QB.

Bobblehead
03-09-2016, 05:33 PM
As bad as he was last year, I would think there'd be a market for him. Jets, Browns, Rams, and Broncos all need a QB.
He is due a roster bonus on Apr.1 (somewhere in the $11/12 Million range) and I read he will cost $15 Million for this season total.

Are the 49ers are going to cut him or will they will pay the bonus? That's the question all the QB needy teams are wondering.

rubecube
03-09-2016, 05:39 PM
Eagles also signed Chase Daniel for $21M over three years. Expected to be a QB competition in camp. Oh good.

Senator Clay Davis
03-09-2016, 05:41 PM
I think Kaep stays ultimately. When you look at what else is out there, can they really do better? Especially considering what it costs now for an average QB. Vick looked amazing for a half sec in Chip's offense, Kaep could probably look pretty decent. I think he can be had, but the 49ers are likely seeking at least a 2nd round pick because that's market now. Kaep is better than any FA except maybe Fitz but even then I'm inclined to value Kaep's running more than Fitz's costly turnovers.

rubecube
03-09-2016, 05:58 PM
Kaep has a way better arm than Fitz, too.

Sainters7
03-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Eagles also signed Chase Daniel for $21M over three years. Expected to be a QB competition in camp. Oh good.
Happy to hear that, I always liked him in New Orleans. Smart in the pocket, and a decent arm, kinda reminded me of Brees frankly (obviously not the same skill level of course). Glad to see he's finally getting an actual chance to be a starter.

Tyler
03-09-2016, 06:28 PM
Hot damn my Texans were busy today! Woop woop

devo22
03-09-2016, 08:19 PM
Steelers get Ladarius Green for 4 years and 20m with only 4.75m guaranteed and re-sign Ramon Foster for 3 years and 9.6m (2.75m guaranteed). On a day of absolute madness, those are some pretty sweet deals. Still have enough cap space to add a good corner or safety.

Senator Clay Davis
03-09-2016, 08:34 PM
So Chase Daniel can earn up to $36 million in 3 years with certain incentives. Doesn't sound like they want him backing up to me. Still the money for QBs now who've done effectively nothing is shocking, the level of desperation at the position is crazy. With the cap going up and up, it seems a $30 million a year QB has to be coming soon.

DropIt
03-10-2016, 07:50 AM
Love the Danny Trevathan signing, especially when some rumours had his price upwards of 9 million. Bobby Massie, while not a big name should be a week 1 starter and talks are that they can move Kyle Long back to RG where he was a pro bowl player.

Was hoping Matt Forte would have gone to a bit more of an established team than the Jets to get him a realistic shot at a ring.

Some insane contracts given out to defensive linemen I'm glad the Bears avoided. Olivier Vernon and Malik Jackson, wow.

Displaced Flames fan
03-10-2016, 08:01 AM
Love the Danny Trevathan signing, especially when some rumours had his price upwards of 9 million. Bobby Massie, while not a big name should be a week 1 starter and talks are that they can move Kyle Long back to RG where he was a pro bowl player.

Was hoping Matt Forte would have gone to a bit more of an established team than the Jets to get him a realistic shot at a ring.

Some insane contracts given out to defensive linemen I'm glad the Bears avoided. Olivier Vernon and Malik Jackson, wow.

You will love Trevathan. He's a throwback. Tackle machine.

Massie has quietly been one of the best tackles in the game for the last couple of seasons.

Displaced Flames fan
03-10-2016, 08:36 AM
So I did a little research and the number on Kaepernick this upcoming season is $11.9M.

So basically, the Broncos believe that giving up a 2nd round pick (that's an NFL starter at almost every position) and paying $12M to a QB that will have to come in and learn the system is preferable to what Houston did. I do NOT concur.

Having said that, I don't think this was a great decision for Osweiler football wise but I can't fault him for chasing the money.

Denver should have began negotiating with Osweiler the moment the Super Bowl ended. That crap about waiting for Manning to make a decision was incredibly stupid and obviously is part of the reason Osweiler was so keen to move on.

I'm fine with the decision if there is a solid back up plan in place. There wasn't. At this point I actually think the best option is to woo Peyton out of retirement.

Senator Clay Davis
03-10-2016, 08:41 AM
Osweiler was gone the second they benched him in the regular season finale. Unless Denver was coming way over the top with an obscene offer (like $22-25 million per), he wasn't coming back. He clearly took the slight of the bench very personally, which is his prerogative. Broncos won the Super Bowl with a noodle arm, they just need a solid QB who won't turn it over and they'll be a contender again next year. Which is why I'm not liking getting Fitz who is notorious for costly turnovers.

Bar-Down
03-10-2016, 09:18 AM
Michael Silver ✔ ‎@MikeSilver
Talks have intensified between the 49ers and Broncos re: Kaepernick. But Broncos are not the only suitor. More on @nflnetwork soon

Apparently the 49ers are asking for a 2nd round pick.

Bobblehead
03-10-2016, 09:51 AM
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

Draft picks most likely in play for Colin Kaepernick:

Broncos-2nd rd (63), 3rd (94, 98)
Jets-2nd (51), 3rd (83)
Browns-2nd (32), 3rd (65)

https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/707972263329472512?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Edit:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 38s39 seconds ago

Clarification: No team would offer all those picks listed. Those are the available picks, the ammunition, of the interested teams.

Senator Clay Davis
03-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Browns are apparently pushing the hardest for Kaepernick right now.

Erick Estrada
03-10-2016, 11:20 AM
Raiders are likely going to be lauded for winning free agency which as a Raiders fan is satisfying but equally terrifying seeing how winning free agency rarely translates to winning games. That said they got the best CB and offensive lineman available and added a solid pass rusher and the trenches and secondary translate more to winning than flashy RB/WR signings/trades. Cautiously optimistic that the Raiders may finally get back to the postseason.

rubecube
03-10-2016, 01:02 PM
So basically, the Broncos believe that giving up a 2nd round pick (that's an NFL starter at almost every position) and paying $12M to a QB that will have to come in and learn the system is preferable to what Houston did. I do NOT concur.

Uhhh what? The Broncos second round pick is #64 overall. Here are the last 10 players picked in that spot and how many games they've started:

2015 - Jordan Richards (2)
2014 - Justin Britt (32)
2013 - Dwayne Gratz (25)
2012 - Dwayne Allen (42)
2011 - Randall Cobb (43)
2010 - Charles Brown (23)
2009 - Richard Quinn (4)
2008 - Kevin Smith (31)
2007 - Sabby Piscitelli (22)
2006 - Tarvaris Jackson (34)

Britt has started a lot of games but he's been pretty damn terrible in a lot of them too. Outside of Cobb & Allen it's mostly a collection of career backups and guys who've washed out of the league. It's hardly a guaranteed starter. The only player on that list I wouldn't trade straight up for Kaepernick is Cobb.

EDIT: I see the Broncos pick is actually #63 but I'm pretty sure if I went digging my point would still stand. It's much closer to a third rounder than a second rounder.

Displaced Flames fan
03-10-2016, 01:56 PM
Raiders are likely going to be lauded for winning free agency which as a Raiders fan is satisfying but equally terrifying seeing how winning free agency rarely translates to winning games. That said they got the best CB and offensive lineman available and added a solid pass rusher and the trenches and secondary translate more to winning than flashy RB/WR signings/trades. Cautiously optimistic that the Raiders may finally get back to the postseason.

I am more than cautiously pessimistic that you are correct.

Erick Estrada
03-10-2016, 02:39 PM
I am more than cautiously pessimistic that you are correct.

Broncos and Chiefs still are good teams but have lost significant talent in the offseason while the Raiders have improved vastly over the past few days. Still lots of work to do and injuries can happen but the Raiders IMO have as good a shot as anyone to win the AFC West which is wide open.

Displaced Flames fan
03-10-2016, 03:31 PM
Broncos and Chiefs still are good teams but have lost significant talent in the offseason while the Raiders have improved vastly over the past few days. Still lots of work to do and injuries can happen but the Raiders IMO have as good a shot as anyone to win the AFC West which is wide open.

Completely agree. I think you misunderstood my post. :) Or it doesn't make sense to anyone but me!

+ The Raiders have the best QB in the division. Rivers is still good and a fiery leader, but he's not as good as Derek Carr at this point, in my opinion.

devo22
03-10-2016, 03:34 PM
CJ Anderson signs a 4 year, 18m offer sheet with the Dolphins

d_phaneuf
03-10-2016, 03:50 PM

Im really happy with what they have done

to me the difference and teams in the past that have 'won' free agency is that the Raiders are doing it to supplement through all the work Reggie has done with the last few drafts, rather than building a super team through FA

Plus how he is doing the contracts is great, not only have they gotten really good deals but everything is being front loaded, so when Mack and Carr need to get paid it won't be an issue

The only glaring weakness now to me is safety, but it sounds like they are favorites for Weddle (Bruce Irvin is already actively recruiting him)

Once we get that it means the draft suddenly turns in to strengthening by BPA regardless, not trying to fill holes

Displaced Flames fan
03-10-2016, 06:25 PM
CJ Anderson signs a 4 year, 18m offer sheet with the Dolphins

This will be interesting. Thats a cap friendly contract for a really good back.

habernac
03-11-2016, 07:19 AM
Patriots sign WR Chris Hogan, anyone know anything about this guy?

Erick Estrada
03-11-2016, 07:36 AM
Im really happy with what they have done

to me the difference and teams in the past that have 'won' free agency is that the Raiders are doing it to supplement through all the work Reggie has done with the last few drafts, rather than building a super team through FA

Plus how he is doing the contracts is great, not only have they gotten really good deals but everything is being front loaded, so when Mack and Carr need to get paid it won't be an issue

The only glaring weakness now to me is safety, but it sounds like they are favorites for Weddle (Bruce Irvin is already actively recruiting him)

Once we get that it means the draft suddenly turns in to strengthening by BPA regardless, not trying to fill holes

Yeah I like that he front loads the deals to make it easy to cut ties if things don't work out. I actually thought Weddle would have been one of the first guys they signed but maybe the Raiders aren't as high on him as we thought. Seems like a goo fit as he still graded out really well against the pass last season.

Da_Chief
03-11-2016, 07:40 AM
Patriots sign WR Chris Hogan, anyone know anything about this guy?

Just that he'll have a career year next year.

Erick Estrada
03-11-2016, 07:41 AM
Completely agree. I think you misunderstood my post. :) Or it doesn't make sense to anyone but me!

+ The Raiders have the best QB in the division. Rivers is still good and a fiery leader, but he's not as good as Derek Carr at this point, in my opinion.

Smith is the best game manager in the division, River has had the best overall career but I would say Carr is presently the best overall QB in the division but he's still got room to improve as when the offensive line broke down from injuries down the stretch he struggled at times. Things should be better in year two under Musgrave's offense and Cooper should be a lot better as well. I thought they may have gone after a running back like Miller and it sounded like they made a decent offer to Martin but it appears they may look at the draft to find a guy to spell Murray who had a great season last year but I don't think he's a guy that can carry the load by himself.

Senator Clay Davis
03-11-2016, 07:44 AM
Chris Hogan got offer sheeted, not signed, so the Bills can match. He's a white slot receiver, the Pats have had that market on lockdown since Welker.

MacDaddy77
03-11-2016, 08:17 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000586944/Tyrod-Taylor-hits-Chris-Hogan-for-a-deep-fade-for-42-yards

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2267194-undrafted-journeyman-wr-chris-hogan-taking-on-big-role-for-bills-offense

The scrappy 6'1", 220-pound receiver was initially pegged for the slot; he's incredibly fast. He ran a 4.47 40-yard dash and "blew away the competition in the other speed drills" at Fordham's pro day in 2011, per Mike Garafolo of The Star-Ledger.

But Marrone has been so impressed with his drive and performance that he has given him more matchups on the outside.

MacDaddy77
03-11-2016, 08:18 AM
Definite upgrade on Ladrop from last year I think.

troutman
03-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Browns officially waive Johnny.

nfotiu
03-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Browns officially waive Johnny.

It seemed so obvious (to anyone paying attention) from the second he was drafted, that it would all go down exactly like this.

Da_Chief
03-11-2016, 10:32 AM
It seemed so obvious (to anyone paying attention) from the second he was drafted, that it would all go down exactly like this.

Oh I'm sure the Browns knew it was a big risk as well but they probably thought the reward could be big if he put it all together.

Sometimes you have to take that risk, unfortunately for the Browns it just doesn't work out.

Senator Clay Davis
03-11-2016, 10:39 AM
But the Browns paid a couple hundred grand on a QB study of the 2014 QBs, and that report said draft Bridgewater. But some random homeless guy said draft Manziel, so the Browns being the Browns, decided why go with the report we paid good money for when some homeless guy thinks Johnny is gonna be awesome? The Browns will always be the Browns until they stop doing idiocy like that.

nfotiu
03-11-2016, 10:43 AM
Oh I'm sure the Browns knew it was a big risk as well but they probably thought the reward could be big if he put it all together.

Sometimes you have to take that risk, unfortunately for the Browns it just doesn't work out.

Is there really that much potential reward in a 6' tall, weakish armed QB?

Erick Estrada
03-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Chris Hogan got offer sheeted, not signed, so the Bills can match. He's a white slot receiver, the Pats have had that market on lockdown since Welker.

That post got me thinking about undersized, speedy slot receivers typically being white. Even in the CFL it's typically guys like Dressler, Cahoon, and that Ryan Smith kid that just signed with the Bombers from the riders in free agency that carve out solid careers lining up in the slot.

Erick Estrada
03-11-2016, 10:59 AM

Still it has to hurt Browns fans knowing they could have taken Carr or Bridgewater instead with that pick.

Da_Chief
03-11-2016, 11:01 AM
Is there really that much potential reward in a 6' tall, weakish armed QB?

Maybe. Remember some mock drafts had him going in the top 5 a year prior to his draft, his Heisman year.

I'm not saying they were right or wrong but if he somehow had managed to put it together by now we would be lauding the Browns for a great pick that turned around that franchise. In the end, its the Browns and they will fail.

ResAlien
03-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Still it has to hurt Browns fans knowing they could have taken Carr or Bridgewater instead with that pick.

Wouldn't have mattered. No matter who they drafted that person was doomed to fail. It's Cleveland, nothing can escape the black hole that is the awfulness of Ohio.

Senator Clay Davis
03-11-2016, 11:36 AM
LOL. Broncos trade for Sanchez. I mean....

ResAlien
03-11-2016, 11:38 AM
Sanchize and Seimien eh? Teach the 49ers to ask for too much. So is there a franchise QB next year? Watson maybe right?

Senator Clay Davis
03-11-2016, 11:46 AM
Maybe this is to help get Kaep? Acquire Sanchez, Chip likes him, so trade a pick and Sanchez for Kaep? I know the Denver defense is so good almost any QB could succeed...guess we'll find out.

kmart
03-11-2016, 12:15 PM
I don't think this is it for Denver. They have to create competition at QB at the very least, especially with Sanchez's mediocre background.

ResAlien
03-11-2016, 12:19 PM
I don't think this is it for Denver. They have to create competition at QB at the very least, especially with Sanchez's mediocre background.

Agreed. They were bound to bring in a vet as a worst case Ontario for the season, they aren't just handing the keys to Seimien. I assumed it would be Hoyer as a FA. Kaepernick or someone in the draft still seems likely.

Displaced Flames fan
03-11-2016, 12:32 PM
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Blaster86
03-11-2016, 12:44 PM
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I have found a picture that helps me get through the tough times when your team's management makes questionable decisions.

http://i.imgur.com/AdiBPrO.jpg?fb

ResAlien
03-11-2016, 12:49 PM
Adam Schefter

Even after trading for Mark Sanchez, Broncos plan to bring in another QB to compete for starting job. Denver not done at QB yet.

Still funny to bring in the Sanchize though.

habernac
03-11-2016, 01:08 PM

Bills declined to match.

Pats cut Lafell and get Hogan, I'm officially excited. Can the season start now??!??

rubecube
03-11-2016, 01:26 PM
Conditional 7th rounder is a massive overpayment for Sanchez.

Galakanokis
03-11-2016, 04:21 PM
I just can't believe the Eagles were able to dump that much salary on useless players and actually get something for it. Bloody amazing.

transplant99
03-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Martavis Bryant facing a 1 year suspension for violating drug policy.

"We're all stunned, me included," Fettner told USA Today Sports. "We clearly miscalculated the issue. His isn't a party issue. It's a coping issue and a depression issue, and he's got to take care of it.

"This is the biggest cry for help I've ever seen. And that hurts. It hurts us to see. He's 24 years old and he's got to get right, whatever it is. If you talk to anybody's family that has depression, they will be talking about these same things -- the [despondence], the withdrawal, the head-in-the-sand despair -- just trying to cope."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14958283/martavis-bryant-pittsburgh-steelers-faces-year-long-suspension

devo22
03-13-2016, 10:30 AM
First of all, I hope he gets help. Depression sucks.

That being said, Bryant sadly had problems with weed multiple times in the past and self-medicating yourself with weed doesn't seem like a smart plan to deal with depression ... especially when you've been suspended for weed before and have to face unannounced drug tests as a result. Anyway, if it's indeed a depression issue I hope he gets the help he needs.

With these news, the Steelers' signing a flex TE in Ladarius Green and re-signing a depth receiver in Darrius Heyward-Bey last week makes even more sense than before. Also wouldn't be surprised if they drafted a similar receiver in Sammie Coates in the 3rd round last year simply because of Bryants off-field issues.

Sylvanfan
03-13-2016, 06:00 PM
I don't think the Chiefs lost that much talent. Losing Sean Smith will weaken the secondary, but he's not young and already starting to slow down.

I think Mitchell Schwartz is a fantastic add. Cleveland played KC Oakland Denver St.Louis Seattle Arizona Cincinnati X2 Pittsburgh X2 and he allowed 11 QB hits all season. Considering Joe Thomas was starting opposite of him, he's the target for opposing game plans. I'll happily swap him for Smith any day.

Losing Daniels does hurt depth, I'll trust that Reid and Dorsey can have a viable backup in place.

No doubt Oakland is getting better and closing the gap. Reggie MacKenzie has started to draft some really good players and is supplementing them with better veterans.

I'd hate to be a Chargers fan. They look like they could be a doormat for a few years. They should trade Rivers and get the rebuild going full out. It's funny though not often the Superbowl Champs go into the next season with the worst QB situation in the league.

Drake
03-14-2016, 12:07 PM
@AdamSchefer:

Ravens gave former Chargers S Eric Weddle a 4-year, $26 million deal, including $13 million in first two years, per source.

habernac
03-15-2016, 12:56 PM
Pats trade Chandler Jones to the Cardinals for Jonathan Cooper and a 2nd round pick

devo22
03-15-2016, 01:12 PM
Broncos match and keep C.J. Anderson.

Broncos have informed RB CJ Anderson they are matching Miami's offer sheet, per source. He stays in Denver.

ResAlien
03-15-2016, 01:21 PM
Broncos match and keep C.J. Anderson.

Broncos have informed RB CJ Anderson they are matching Miami's offer sheet, per source. He stays in Denver.

Ugh. One of Elway's bigger botches so far.

devo22
03-15-2016, 01:30 PM
Steelers sign LT Ryan Harris from Denver (2 yrs, 3.9m). Surely a cheaper option than Okung or Beachum and also not as injury-prone as those two, so I like that move.

Joborule
03-15-2016, 04:53 PM
Ugh. One of Elway's bigger botches so far.
I don't mind since there really isn't anything on the offense at the moment. Keep what you can expect to have potential of being productive.

Drake
03-16-2016, 05:17 PM
@AdamSchefer:

Wheeling and dealing continues: Bears are trading TE Martellus Bennett to Patriots for draft-pick compensation, league sources tell ESPN.

Teams finalizing deal, but Chicago and New England are expected to swap mid-to-late round picks in exchange for Martellus Bennett.

DropIt
03-16-2016, 07:12 PM
@AdamSchefer:

Wheeling and dealing continues: Bears are trading TE Martellus Bennett to Patriots for draft-pick compensation, league sources tell ESPN.

Teams finalizing deal, but Chicago and New England are expected to swap mid-to-late round picks in exchange for Martellus Bennett.

4th for Bennet + 6th

Bears are really collecting draft picks this year. Can't say I love the return, but after Zach Miller's resigning it doesn't surprise me much.

Sainters7
03-16-2016, 07:46 PM
James Laurinaitis agrees to a deal with the Saints. Love it

devo22
03-17-2016, 02:09 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Russell Okung's agreement with the #Broncos (first reported by @JosinaAnderson) is 5 years, up to $12M per year.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
The belief is the #Broncos now try to trade LT Ryan Clady, with Okung agreeing to terms in Denver.

ResAlien
03-17-2016, 02:38 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Russell Okung's agreement with the #Broncos (first reported by @JosinaAnderson) is 5 years, up to $12M per year.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
The belief is the #Broncos now try to trade LT Ryan Clady, with Okung agreeing to terms in Denver.

So the Broncos replace a talented injury prone LT with...a talented injury prone LT? maybe Clady's foor injury is worse than anyone knows. Hopefully now they can chuck Clady and a 4th at SF for Kaep.

Drake
03-17-2016, 09:29 PM
LianeMorjenTV:

#BREAKING: Multiple sources confirm to #Local10 that @Ravens CB Tray Walker involved in dirt bike crash tonight.https://t.co/4QlRZbq34z

Source says Tray Walker is in bad shape; head trauma & now in surgery. Brought to @JacksonHealth in Critical Cond.https://t.co/29Fc8Bm2Cb

#BREAKING: Sources say Cops looking for @Patriots player present during Tray Walker dirt bike crash; is apparently no where to be found now.

Can't confirm who @patriots player is, but sources say he was there & cops cant find him; want to intvw him as witness to Tray Walker crash.

Drake
03-18-2016, 05:04 PM
@jeffzrebiecsun:

Horrible news: Ravens CB Tray Walker passed away, at 5 p.m. ET, according to his agent Ron Butler. He was 23.

Jbo
03-18-2016, 06:48 PM
Sad news :(

Senator Clay Davis
03-24-2016, 11:05 AM
RGIII signs with the Browns.

corporatejay
03-24-2016, 11:07 AM
Of course he did.

troutman
03-24-2016, 11:40 AM
I like it, but they still need to draft a QB #1.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/03/robert_griffin_iii_agrees_to_terms_with_cleveland_ browns.html#incart_river_index

They signed Griffin to a two-year deal worth $15 million, including a $3.5 million signing bonus and $6.75 million in guarantees. The maximum value, including incentives, is $22 million. The $7.5 million average is "bridge'' quarterback money and won't preclude the Browns from drafting a quarterback high.

dirk diggler
03-24-2016, 05:08 PM
things have to be bad when you choose the Browns, who have had 24 QB's start since 1999

Displaced Flames fan
03-31-2016, 06:56 PM
The Broncos "pursuit" of Colin Kaepernick has become laughable. Glad Elway is continuing to build the team with players that "want to be Broncos".

Sainters7
04-01-2016, 10:22 AM
Not really player news, but I just read a snippet about the Lions updating their uniforms for next year, and in the article it mentions how every team is getting a "colour rush" alternate uniform for next season. Why??

Between social media and the traditional media last season, those unis were panned pretty much across the board. They even made a "C'mon, Man!" segment for being so fugly. Either NFL marketing doesn't pay attention to feedback at all, or they were already too far down that road with all the teams last year for next season's release when the initial uniforms got critically trashed by everybody.

Displaced Flames fan
04-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Some statistics that support trusting John Elway....

From 2011-14, 4/17 UFA's signed by Elway made the Pro Bowl within 3 years. The Broncos have lost 35 UFAs in the same time period with only 1 of the 35 making the Pro Bowl.

Pretty impressive.

transplant99
04-02-2016, 04:45 PM
From Adam Schefter

San Francisco and Denver have the parameters of an agreement in principle on a trade for Colin Kaepernick, sources said, but before any deal can be completed, the quarterback and the Broncos still have to agree on a restructured contract, and the two sides have not been close.

ResAlien
04-02-2016, 05:25 PM
It comes down to does Kaepernick want to try and win a SuperBowl and then make a lot of money or make a lot of money up front and lose.

dirk diggler
04-02-2016, 11:42 PM
It comes down to does Kaepernick want to try and win a SuperBowl and then make a lot of money or make a lot of money up front and lose.

guy doesnt strike me as being that smart.... i almost think the Broncos could win more with butt fumble as their qb.

calgarygeologist
04-03-2016, 07:42 AM
Denver wants SF to pay $4.9 million of Kaepernick's salary but they have rejected that idea. I'm not a big Broncos fan but they should call off the deal. Kaepernick is a bum. Give Tebow a call.

ResAlien
04-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Give Tebow a call.

*shudder* Only if the goal is the first overall pick next year.

ResAlien
04-04-2016, 12:44 PM
Well that's that. Ian Rapoport reporting Kaepernick won't take a pay cut. Trade's dead in the water. Enjoy losing in SF I suppose. Sanchize era!

Senator Clay Davis
04-04-2016, 01:02 PM
It's pretty amazing this guy still thinks he's innocent. Hopefully he keeps getting blacklisted from the league

Hardy: “I’ve never put my hand on ANY women … In my whole entire life, No Sir. That’s just not how we’re raised. As you can tell, like I said again, it’s the Bible belt. It’s just something that’s, I wouldn’t even say frowned upon, just something that’s nonexistent in most southern homes.”

Schefter: “You say you did nothing wrong, you’re innocent and yet the pictures of her that surfaced would seem to suggest a woman who had some type of physical contact. How do you explain that?”

Hardy: “I will stop you there and say that I didn’t say that I didn’t do anything wrong. That situation occurred and that situation was handled but … saying that I did nothing wrong is a stretch but saying I am innocent is correct. Yes sir.”

Schefter: “Did you ever put your hands on her?”

Hardy: “No Sir … No Sir.”

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2016/04/espns-nfl-live-to-feature-adam-schefters-exclusive-interview-with-greg-hardy/

Displaced Flames fan
04-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Well that's that. Ian Rapoport reporting Kaepernick won't take a pay cut. Trade's dead in the water. Enjoy losing in SF I suppose. Sanchize era!

This is the craziest Broncos offseason I can remember. Just wacky.

I would rather they go with Sanchez and Siemien then waste a draft pick on one of these QBs in this years draft. Don't like any of them except Wentz and don't like him enough to spend what it would cost to get to #1.

DropIt
04-05-2016, 11:22 PM

Smart move on Kaepernick's part.

He isn't winning anywhere, no point in giving away money just to lose in Denver rather than in SF.

SuperMatt18
04-06-2016, 07:57 AM
I have no issue with NFL players refusing to restructure and not giving up money.

They have short shelf lives in the NFL and easy to be out of the league quickly. Take the money while you can get it.

Senator Clay Davis
04-06-2016, 08:15 AM
I have no issue with NFL players refusing to restructure and not giving up money.

They have short shelf lives in the NFL and easy to be out of the league quickly. Take the money while you can get it.

Beyond that, the NFL is least loyal sports league in the world. There was probably a time when I would want guys to take paycuts to win, but not anymore. Chase that money, the NFL is a vicious league so get as much as you can while you can.

Displaced Flames fan
04-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Broncos signed Jared Crick today. 2 yrs $2M per. Like it very much.

ResAlien
04-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Beyond that, the NFL is least loyal sports league in the world. There was probably a time when I would want guys to take paycuts to win, but not anymore. Chase that money, the NFL is a vicious league so get as much as you can while you can.

Agreed. I don't mind him saying pay me what I'm owed, I'm all for it. Just as a fan it'd be nice not having to pretend to be excited for the Sanchize era.

Senator Clay Davis
04-06-2016, 02:31 PM
If you're looking for positives of the potential Sanchez era, he had an amazing Jets defense and went to two straight AFC title games and had a chance to win both of them. Obviously you never want Sanchez trying to win you games, but I think he could win there by "doing enough".

dirk diggler
04-06-2016, 09:10 PM
right now Sanchez is a better qb than Manning was last year...... sad for him that when people hear his name, they think butt fumble.

rubecube
04-06-2016, 10:29 PM
right now Sanchez is a better qb than Manning was last year...... sad for him that when people hear his name, they think butt fumble.

Uhhh not quite. I've had two years of Eagles fandom to watch Sanchez for every game he played, and he's just not good. Dude can't protect the football and that's about worst trait a quarterback can have.

Displaced Flames fan
04-07-2016, 11:09 AM
Uhhh not quite. I've had two years of Eagles fandom to watch Sanchez for every game he played, and he's just not good. Dude can't protect the football and that's about worst trait a quarterback can have.

I don't disagree, but Manning gave it away more than anyone last year. He might not have fumbled the ball away, but he sure was fond of throwing it like a big fat gift to the other team.

I am not counting Sanchez out.

rubecube
04-07-2016, 11:56 AM
I am not counting Sanchez out.

Denial is the first stage. ;)

Blaster86
04-07-2016, 01:19 PM
just busting this out for DFP again.

http://i.imgur.com/AdiBPrO.jpg?fb

transplant99
04-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Denver Broncos coach Gary Kubiak has spoken with free-agent quarterback Johnny Manziel as a potential fit for the team down the line, according to two sources connected to the team.

Kubiak and Manziel both are former Texas A&M quarterbacks. But before the Broncos would make any move on Manziel, the sources said, the Broncos want to see how his pending legal issues and potential NFL discipline are resolved.

Why?...Its so apparent he is not, and likely never will be, an NFL QB.

Laughable.

Wood
04-07-2016, 09:40 PM
Has Elway called Jamarcus Russell yet?

Galakanokis
04-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Has Elway called Jamarcus Russell yet?

The Broncos don't need anymore O-Line men.

devo22
04-09-2016, 06:10 AM
bring back Tebow!

devo22
04-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
The #Jets trade a 5th rounder to the #Broncos for Ryan Clady and a 7th rounder. More ammo for Denver in a potential Kap trade & cap space.

CofR
04-10-2016, 12:14 AM
Staff photographer Michael DeMocker of the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports via Twitter that former Saints defensive end Will Smith was shot and killed in New Orleans late Saturday night

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/10/report-former-saints-defensive-end-will-smith-shot-and-killed/

Sainters7
04-10-2016, 01:36 AM
Unbelievable. Over a road rage fender bender. Just senseless.

edit: I see Twitter is its usual classy self, with all the "thank god it was only Will Smith the football player, not the actor" tweets. Sickening

Senator Clay Davis
04-10-2016, 07:56 AM
I'm not sure I'll ever make sense of why America is such a ridiculously angry country. The guns are a part of it, but people have some serious, deep issues down there where getting extremely pissed off is just too easy. Senseless tragedy.

atb
04-10-2016, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure I'll ever make sense of why America is such a ridiculously angry country. The guns are a part of it, but people have some serious, deep issues down there where getting extremely pissed off is just too easy. Senseless tragedy.

It's not just getting pissed off, it's the getting pissed off and mass access to firearms (I know, gun debate :bag:).

Senator Clay Davis
04-11-2016, 02:07 PM
This sounds made up, but is apparently true: Johnny Drunkball's newest roommate in Los Angeles? Josh Gordon. Johnny's CFL ETA is about one more season, give or take.

devo22
04-11-2016, 04:13 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
#Browns WR Josh Gordon did fail another drug test a month ago, as @MikeGarafolo said. Explains why he hasn't been reinstated yet.

some people never learn.

Senator Clay Davis
04-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Josh is one of the cases you can use as proof that pot is addictive. He can't put the bong down for a few years so he can earn millions. All I can think of is this...

OkiuAxP9vPM

devo22
04-12-2016, 03:39 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
#Browns WR Josh Gordon's application for reinstatement has been denied until Aug. 1, per source (as @MaryKayCabot said). He can reapply then

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Come 8/1, #Browns WR Josh Gordon must show @NFL he has been clean in all areas — drug tests, off the field — in hopes of being reinstated

SuperMatt18
04-12-2016, 03:53 PM
The pot bans for the NFL kind of bug me.

Keep writing those prescriptions for percocet to kill the pain, but how dare you try and smoke marijuana.

Pagal4321
04-12-2016, 04:53 PM
I think that's a fair point. I get the feeling that in a few years, when the NFL eventually legalizes marijuana, this whole Josh Gordon thing will look ridiculous.

Senator Clay Davis
04-12-2016, 05:33 PM
I fully agree pot as a banned substance is absurd, but the rule is what it is. Josh needs to stop toking for 5 years, he'll probably earn a good $20 million or so and he can then afford to smoke the best weed for the rest of his life after that.

devo22
04-12-2016, 05:37 PM
^ exactly. That's the thing that really amazes me: that guy has an incredible talent and surely has worked very hard for many years in order to make it to the NFL. He's got the chance to make a ton of money and make sure that him and his family are set up for life, playing a game. And you STILL can't put down the bong for a few years? Incredible.

I don't disagree with the argument that the marijuana rules in the NFL are outdated and desperately need a fix, but as of right now, you simply can't smoke weed as an NFL player. And frankly, that's not too much to ask in my opinion ...

rubecube
04-12-2016, 08:00 PM
I don't think it's the weed. The guy just probably isn't that interested in playing football.

Pagal4321
04-13-2016, 08:51 AM
Oh don't get me wrong, I fully agree with you guys. I am not, for one second, saying that Gordon isn't an idiot and should probably quit toking for a little bit.

And rube, if he isn't interested in playing football why is he applying for reinstatement?

ResAlien
04-13-2016, 08:56 AM
And rube, if he isn't interested in playing football why is he applying for reinstatement?

Because money.

Pagal4321
04-13-2016, 08:59 AM
Because money.

So he wants to play football for money? That was kinda my point.

ResAlien
04-13-2016, 09:06 AM
So he wants to play football for money? That was kinda my point.

I think rube meant more he's not interested in playing football because he loves it. If you did you'd do everything you could to get reinstated. If it's just a job then it's whatever.

rubecube
04-13-2016, 05:50 PM
Jesus Christ, what an idiot.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15198881/agent-drew-rosenhaus-terminates-contract-johnny-manziel-reconsider-qb-gets-treatment

Manziel said last week that he had been out in West Hollywood five to six nights in a row and said he doesn't think NFL teams have a problem with his partying.

"I don't think there's anything wrong with partying, bro," Manziel said. "There's a difference between partying and being out of control."

taco.vidal
04-14-2016, 05:20 AM
4/13/2016 1:02 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Johnny Manziel was a passenger in a car that allegedly hit a light pole and fled the scene in Hollywood this weekend ... and the person who picked him up after the crash was Josh Gordon.

TMZ Sports has learned ... Manziel was interviewed by LAPD about a crash that occurred on the Sunset Strip around 10:45 PM on Saturday night.
We're told ... cops believe the driver of the car was Manziel's good friend Ryan Silverstein -- aka OVO Ryan from Drake's OVO crew.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... cops believe Silverstein and Manziel left the scene on foot after the crash -- and were picked up by Cleveland Browns WR Gordon.

This is even better that Josh Gordon is involved.:confused:

Senator Clay Davis
04-14-2016, 05:22 AM
Drew Rosenhaus fired him as a client. How ####ed up do you have to be for Drew Rosenhaus to fire you?

ResAlien
04-14-2016, 07:11 AM
Ian Rapoport says the Rams traded up to #1

#Titans receive: 2016 15th - 43, 45, 76; 2017 1st Rd and 3rd Rd

Rams receive: No. 1, 113, 177.
#blockbuster

They must love Wentz

Wood
04-14-2016, 07:26 AM
Good for the Titans, I hope they can put together a decent team

Senator Clay Davis
04-14-2016, 07:33 AM
Not quite RGIII trade levels of bad, but massive overpayment for the Rams. Wentz is a decent prospect but is a development QB and not a plug and play guy. Teams I guess have decided that no matter what it costs, be it money or picks, they gotta find an average NFL QB to compete.

Erick Estrada
04-14-2016, 07:38 AM
The Rams have acquired the first overall pick in the 2016 draft for a king's ransom.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15201946/tennessee-titans-trade-no-1-pick-los-angeles-rams

Simply an amazing trade for the Titans as I can't believe the Rams would give up this much for a 1st overall pick in a draft like this where there isn't an Andrew Luck. I'm sorry but Wentz or Goff are not 1st overall pick caliber QB's and in some drafts wouldn't even be first round picks. I get that the Rams want to make a splash in LA but this is not the way to do it.

Flabbibulin
04-14-2016, 07:40 AM
This is more about posturing though isn't it, and generating hype with the new market.

Erick Estrada
04-14-2016, 07:47 AM
This is more about posturing though isn't it, and generating hype with the new market.

Hype at the cost of setting your franchise back? 1st round picks in the NFL are a big deal and even the two 2nd's and 3rd round picks will likely land players that will play in the NFL. Paxton Lynch could end up better than either Wentz or Goff and the Rams could have stayed put to draft him.

As a Raiders fan this trade is great though because if the Chargers stay in San Diego the Raiders will be able to walk into LA and steal the spotlight from the Rams who will likely be continuing to wallow in mediocrity.