PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Calgary Roughnecks and NLL Thread

InglewoodFan
12-18-2015, 03:34 PM
With the pre-season game this Sunday and the roster being announced today, time for a new Roughnecks thread I figured.

Roster is here (http://www.calgaryroughnecks.com/site/necks/page.asp?page=view_news&newsID=1770#.VnSH3xUrLb1)

Will be a very different look up front, looking forward to seeing Digby play. Hopefully a bigger role for Leung on transition. And a familiar looking defence.

One big question with the roster - where the heck is Roe? Not even on the practice squad? Really want to see this kid play.

I've been saying for a couple of seasons they needed to shake the team up, we had a really consistent lineup for a long time. Nice to see some new blood. I am a little concerned that so many new players might expose some weaknesses in our coaching. Still not a huge Malawsky fan, we'll see what he can do this season.

JiriHrdina
12-18-2015, 04:02 PM
Losing Evans is tough but Digby is a truly unique player. His size and athleticism make him a very tough guy to cover. You can't cover him 1:1. You combine him with Dickson and you have two very hard challenges for the D.
I think Berg is going to be very impressive. Looking forward to the offense having a different look - it was a little stale.
Looks like they are moving up McRae from D to Transition - he'll do well there. The D is therefore going through a lot of changes. That might be a weak spot to start the year.

I've not yet heard what the deal with Roe is. Will try to find out.

InglewoodFan
12-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Just heard from someone who knows Roe's dad, apparently he got hurt in camp and got cut. Crappy. As my buddy said, won't take long for a guy 6' 10" with good hands to catch on somewhere. Surprising they cut him loose, didn't they trade to get that pick?

JiriHrdina
12-18-2015, 11:15 PM
He hasn't shown enough to be worth a pick.

EuKnoLikeMonny
12-19-2015, 10:07 AM
Does anyone have that promo code kicking around still for the 5 dollar tickets to the game tomorrow afternoon?

FlamingHomer
01-02-2016, 04:19 AM
Just to get everyone up to speed, here is a summary of the Roughnecks transactions during the off season:

JULY 2015
7th - Signed goaltender Frankie Scigliano to a three-year agreement
31st - Signed goaltender Peter Dubenski to a two-year agreement
AUGUST 2015
3rd - Moved goaltender Peter Dubenski to the Active Roster from the Hold Out List
- Released transition player Geoff Snider
12th - Signed transition player Karsen Leung to a two-year agreement
17th - Signed defenceman Mike Carnegie to a two-year agreement
20th - Signed transition players Tor Reinholdt and Tyson Roe to one-year agreements
24th - Signed defencemen Dan MacRae and Patrick O'Meara to one-year agreements
SEPTEMBER 2015
23rd - Signed defenceman Jon Harnett to a one-year agreement
19th - Placed defenceman Andrew McBride on the Retired List
26th - Traded forward Shawn Evans and a third-round selection in the 2018 NLL Draft to the New England Black Wolves in exchange for forward Tyler Digby and a first-round selection in the 2018 NLL Draft and a 2019 first-round selection
28th - Signed forward Carson Barton, defenceman Tyson Bell, defenceman Mitch de Snoo, goaltender Jordan Kancsal, defenceman Kellen LeClair, forward Jacob Ruest and forward Jason Jones to one-year agreements
30th - Signed defenceman Mitch Banister to a one-year agreement
NOVEMBER 2015
3rd - Signed forward Reilly O'Connor to a two-year agreement
- Signed forward Wesley Berg to a one-year agreement
9th - Signed goaltender Christian Del Bianco to a one-year agreement
18th - Placed goaltender Peter Dubenski on the Hold Out List from the Active Roster
DECEMBER 2015
5th - Released goaltender Jordan Kancsal from the Active Roster
- Signed forward Curtis Dickson to a three-year agreement
10th - Released forward Carson Barton from the Active Roster
16th - Released transition player Tyson Roe and forward Jacob Ruest from the Active Roster
- Placed transition player Peter McFetridge on the Injured Reserve List - Second Level
- Signed forward Jeff Shattler to a two-year contract
17th - Released forward Jason Jones from the Active Roster
- Released defenceman Patrick O'Meara and transition player Tor Reinholdt from the Active Roster
- Signed defenceman Patrick O'Meara to the Practice Player List
18th - Released defenceman Mitch Banister from the Active Roster
- Signed defenceman Bradley Kri to the Practice Player List
21st - Signed defenceman Mitch Banister to the Practice Player List
23rd - Released defenceman Bradley Kri from the Practice Player List
28th - Traded defenceman Mitch de Snoo to the Buffalo Bandits in exchange for transition player Brandon Goodwin
31st - Signed forward Tyler Melnyk to the Practice Player List

InglewoodFan
01-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the summary, seems like a busier year than the past few for moves. Hope it shakes things up a bit.

Necks signed Bob Snider to the practice roster today. Local boy which is good for the fans, and I think he has good seasons left in him. He's coached my boys in field lacrosse and I think he is an excellent guy.

greyshep
01-02-2016, 04:33 PM
I am going to my first ever roughnecks game tonight. I have a question about length of game though. I understand its 4x15min quarters, but my question is more around length of the entire actual event.

Game starts at 7pm, when can I reasonably expect it to be all finished?

I am wondering if I need to take my hockey gear with me for my 1045pm ice time tonight or if I am going to have time to go home first.

JiriHrdina
01-02-2016, 04:44 PM
I am going to my first ever roughnecks game tonight. I have a question about length of game though. I understand its 4x15min quarters, but my question is more around length of the entire actual event.

Game starts at 7pm, when can I reasonably expect it to be all finished?

I am wondering if I need to take my hockey gear with me for my 1045pm ice time tonight or if I am going to have time to go home first.

You'll be done around 930

Da_Chief
01-02-2016, 05:17 PM
Interesting trade just before the season starts.

From above FlamingHomer's post:
28th - Traded defenceman Mitch de Snoo to the Buffalo Bandits in exchange for transition player Brandon Goodwin

de Snoo is starting the season on Bandits practise roster. Goodwin was the last pick of round 1 in 2014 draft. He has some offensive upside but was still and off the board pick back then. We'll see how he performs.

I think the D is a weak point unless LeClair and Bell are super-quick learners it could be a long season against some of the offences around the league.

They need a stud dman. I also wouldn't be surprised in Del Bianco take over starting netminder position by season's end. He had a great camp.

Let go RoughNecks.

TheAlpineOracle
01-02-2016, 06:12 PM
I didn't realize the home opener was tonight or I would have went. I see it's being broadcasted on tsn.

Da_Chief
01-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Roughnecks were up 6-2 after half time. Now it's 6-6 after 3 Qs.

Resolute 14
01-02-2016, 10:15 PM
Horrendous meltdown tonight. When the Rush finally pushed, the Roughnecks simply fell apart. Three SHG against is inexcusable.

GC91
01-02-2016, 10:52 PM
I was at my first roughnecks game tonight. Terrible meltdown after being up 6-2. Great atmosphere though they sold me on going back again. How does the play off format work for this league. How many teams make it through

JiriHrdina
01-02-2016, 11:35 PM
I was at my first roughnecks game tonight. Terrible meltdown after being up 6-2. Great atmosphere though they sold me on going back again. How does the play off format work for this league. How many teams make it through

3 teams in each division. First place gets a bye
First round is single elimination. Second round 2 games with a tie breaking mini game after game 2 if need be.
Finals are a best of 3

Kerplunk
01-03-2016, 01:24 AM
Well, that game happened. Not sure what went off the rails in the third; 5 shot on goal for, and 2 short handed against. And that one in the second where the ref blew the play in without a Roughneck player in the area, spotting them another.....ugh. Maybe if they hit the net more instead of trying to go through 2 defenders (dammit, Dobbie), and learned how to transition....

And then there are those new Rush colours. I can kind of handle the green on the jersey (can't be worse than the Swarm), but the green and white of the names HAS to go. Most other teams I can usually read the name on them, but on the Rush ones the name is just a green blur, and the number isn't much better, just larger.

Da_Chief
01-03-2016, 08:29 AM
The D played better then I expected, had good pressure all night. Few breakdown caused the goals.

Frankie played really well too. The O is adjusting with all the new faces. I still see a playoff team.

Resolute 14
01-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Transitioning to defence was miles ahead of the last few seasons. They struggled to go from D to O, but a lot of that is likely the Rush. Curious to see how they do against Buffalo next weekend.

dirk diggler
01-03-2016, 02:34 PM
the one issue i have with them is when they have a partial break, sometimes they need to take it to the net instead of always setting up..... i do like the youth injection, other than about 5 or 10 minutes, they played a pretty solid game

JiriHrdina
01-03-2016, 04:41 PM
the one issue i have with them is when they have a partial break, sometimes they need to take it to the net instead of always setting up..... i do like the youth injection, other than about 5 or 10 minutes, they played a pretty solid game

Take the opportunity when it's there but often the right play is to let the offence get on the floor. A missed quick strike keeps your d on the floor and now tired.

dirk diggler
01-03-2016, 04:43 PM
true but there are times when i think they need to take it to the net and they seldom do it. Snider used to do it and Mcfeteridge also

KevanGuy
01-04-2016, 09:45 PM
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpost.php?p=5568900&postcount=484

GC91
01-07-2016, 07:37 AM
Being new to Calgary I took in my first NLL game for the Roughnecks home opener. Let's be honest, no one really follows the NLL if you do not have a team in your city unless you are a die hard lacrosse fan. I don't mean to take a shot at the league like that as I really enjoyed the game and will be going back to the next one. The atmosphere was actually more electric than any of the Flames games I've been to here when you factor in the difference in attendance for each. I could see the NLL working in a lot of markets and I hope they take the time to grow this sport properly. They have gained my interest!

I was hoping someone who knows the game well to explain it a little more to me on this forum. I've played high levels of hockey so my perception of the game tends to relate to my biased knowledge of how to play hockey. I was confused right away about the line changes. Both teams seemed to allow fast breaks and odd man rushes down the court? (don't know my lacrosse language) to change when turn overs occurred. I assume it has to do with keeping fresh legs on the court as running obviously takes a lot out of you but it seemed to create most of the scoring chances against both teams. Whats the thought behind that. What am I seeing?

JiriHrdina
01-07-2016, 12:15 PM
In many ways it is closer to basketball. In terms of your question - the skills required, and therefore players you use on D, is much different than the guys you use on offense. So it isn't like hockey where you have D and F playing at the same time, you basically have attackers and defenders.
Transition players are a blend - that are designed to push the ball up the floor - but the line between what is a Transition player v. a D is becoming very blurry.

The frequency of odd man rushes is also a lot higher when the teams have the long change. Dane Dobbie has made a living scoring goals on breakaways during those quarters.

Glad you enjoyed your first game.

GC91
01-07-2016, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info. What are the basic rules for penalties. I can see you're allowed a lot of contact with the stick but at what point is it crossing the line. Mid section to shoulders all legal? Allowed to set picks?

JiriHrdina
01-07-2016, 02:22 PM
Yeah pretty much above the waist and below the shoulders is fine. In reality they often get away with a lot of other stuff.

You set a pick, but you can't get in the way of a player that is actively defending an attacker. Frankly it is often hard to tell what gets called and not called.

Resolute 14
01-07-2016, 02:47 PM
Transition players are a blend - that are designed to push the ball up the floor - but the line between what is a Transition player v. a D is becoming very blurry.

Particularly since they reduced the roster size.

As far as penalties go, your guess as as good as the referees most games. I've been watching since the Roughnecks' second ever game, and I still don't know what is going to be called from one quarter to the next.

JiriHrdina
01-07-2016, 02:53 PM
Particularly since they reduced the roster size.

As far as penalties go, your guess as as good as the referees most games. I've been watching since the Roughnecks' second ever game, and I still don't know what is going to be called from one quarter to the next.

The penalties are tough, the infractions that cause a change in possession are even together.

Resolute 14
01-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Yup. Near as I can tell, that is really just a push to the back or an illegal screen of someone away from the ball.

dirk diggler
01-30-2016, 10:22 PM
went to the roughnecks game and couldnt believe the reffing, the Stealth were basically the Canucks out there. constant diving and embellishment. nice to see the roughnecks win though

cavalera403
02-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Not sure if the rush are this good or CALGARY is this bad but this is a blood bath so far and from what I have seen is a complete lack of interest and just aa ton of bad penalties. I think they are looking forward to the superhero game tomorrow and not the job tonight

JiriHrdina
02-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Both. Rush are damn good and you simply cannot give them that many 5 on 3 powerplays. 5 straight goals by Greer by himself is pretty impressive.
Riggers should manage floor time in the 2nd half as they have the Swarm tomorrow - a team that hung 20 on the Rock last weekend.

cavalera403
02-05-2016, 07:51 PM
I have loved the d coverage at all the last few games that Center pass just seems to always be there

Resolute 14
02-06-2016, 04:53 PM
Nice to see Saskatoon buy into the team though. 8600 last weekend, 9800 last night. The NLL needs some stability with some of these teams. And whenever Katz gets his replacement team, a solid Calgary-Edmonton-Sasktoon triangle would be big for the Roughnecks themselves.

GeoffSK
02-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Nice to see Saskatoon buy into the team though. 8600 last weekend, 9800 last night. The NLL needs some stability with some of these teams. And whenever Katz gets his replacement team, a solid Calgary-Edmonton-Sasktoon triangle would be big for the Roughnecks themselves.
I got season tickets to the Rush. Great sport to watch live. Hopefully the city continues to support. Supporting the team 9 times a year should be easy specially with a good team right from the start. I'm actually surprised how many rush jerseys i see in the crowd.

GeoffSK

dirk diggler
02-06-2016, 11:02 PM
hope the sask. fans embrace the rush, they are a damn good team

Resolute 14
02-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Nice little comeback win for the Roughnecks last night. Given how inept they looked in the first quarter, that was a remarkable win.

Scornfire
02-07-2016, 04:43 PM
Took my friends to their first lacrosse game last night, they were getting a little antsy and wanted to leave when we were down 9-3 or something, I told them things can change pretty quickly in the NLL and we should stick around. Think they were more than a little surprised when the roughnecks actually did manage to come back and win it

Great game, my only complaint was the dickbag in my section yelling out random #### during the anthems (Ps. The girl who sang was absolutely remarkable, hope she gets to do Flames games in the future)

cavalera403
02-08-2016, 12:13 AM
If you were in 219 I was in that section as well and wanted to drop kick him over the rail.

JiriHrdina
02-08-2016, 07:57 AM
That's a very young Swarm team and once they started to lose the momentum, they didn't know how to get it back. I think the other thing is that Brodie Macdonald simply isn't a great goaltender. He had a lot of balls just hitting him throughout the game. He is a big guy so that's part of his approach - but when you have Dickson just ripping one off his big toe and he doesn't react - that's telling.

The game should have been closer at half time based on that alone, but once the Riggers started to put balls behind him - I think they knew they could score enough to come back.

Fun game and a big win. 3-3 now instead of 0-6 this time last year.

The Rush are in an entire class right now in the league. The rest of the league (except the Rock) are just a big mess of teams that can beat each other on any given night.

Resolute 14
02-08-2016, 08:45 AM
One thing that is driving me batty about the NLL this year is how the officials have married the delay of game penalty if you drop the ball and it rolls six inches away thing with their insistence on slowing the game down by whistling down fast restarts because the guy was more than six inches away from the spot the referee wants to restart play.

Also, Jiri - what did you think about the final play of the game? The Swarm were really campaigning hard for a penalty (shot), and I think they had a case. I didn't hold much sympathy though because that team was diving up a storm all night long.

JiriHrdina
02-08-2016, 10:10 AM
One thing that is driving me batty about the NLL this year is how the officials have married the delay of game penalty if you drop the ball and it rolls six inches away thing with their insistence on slowing the game down by whistling down fast restarts because the guy was more than six inches away from the spot the referee wants to restart play.

Also, Jiri - what did you think about the final play of the game? The Swarm were really campaigning hard for a penalty (shot), and I think they had a case. I didn't hold much sympathy though because that team was diving up a storm all night long.

Yeah they had a case with the stick wrapped around the neck - and the obvious tug on the jersey. It was pretty clear in the last 5-10 minutes they weren't calling anything though - they wanted it settled on the floor. And he still got an amazing chance.

But yes I agree they had a case.

Lacrosse is a very difficult game to officiate though.

cavalera403
02-08-2016, 10:51 AM
Jiri do you know where I could find a full rule book for the NLL
my google search just comes up with the PDF of the 2013 book and some general reviews of changes made for this season.

After last weekend with all of the dead ball calls and even Friday with some of the head scratching calls in the second quarter that just were ignored Saturday, I really want to read what the book says instead of just throwing my hands up at the game or at the TV.

JiriHrdina
02-08-2016, 12:55 PM
https://s3.amazonaws.com/nllassets/2016+NLL+Rulebook.pdf

140 pages long!

Resolute 14
02-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Haha. I've been watching the Roughnecks for 15 years and I still throw my hands up at the officiating all the time. As Jiri says though, this is an incredibly difficult game to officiate. Especially after the league took the third official off the floor.

cavalera403
02-13-2016, 10:49 PM
Dr. Jackal meet Mr. Hyde. Man that was a tough second half to watch. You don't have #44 on the floor in the offensive end and you can just see it fall apart. Triple team on Superman and Shatler was invisible. And yes Digby and Berg had hatricks but lots of missed passes outside of that.

JiriHrdina
02-13-2016, 10:52 PM
Yeah they couldn't generate anything from the left side. And a complete lack of emotion. Sounds like DD might be out a few weeks so someone needs to step up.

cavalera403
02-13-2016, 11:07 PM
Was there a reason Snyder was out tonight. Getting killed in the face off is not cool. Goes to show how spoiled we were with Geoff

JiriHrdina
02-13-2016, 11:13 PM
Was there a reason Snyder was out tonight. Getting killed in the face off is not cool. Goes to show how spoiled we were with Geoff

Not sure. I was surprised too - I felt he was key to the comeback win last week. My only thought is they wanted to dress a couple of differen options to try and see who clicked from the left side with Shattler. So they had both Kellen Leclair and Brandon Goodwinn dressed and getting turns on offense. I think they put both of them in there, and that meant Bob was out.

The Mammoth were able to sustain their runs in part because the Riggers couldn't get the ball back. And when you are chasing those extra possessions become critical.

We were spoiled with Geoff, but you don't need to dominate the draws. You need to be close to 50/50. Mammoth were 18/25 tonight. Yikes. And that's with a guy (Coates) who was well under 50% himself tonight heading into the game.

cavalera403
02-13-2016, 11:51 PM
Yeah at the end of the third when we were 5/15 on draws it was an unpleasant sight

cavalera403
02-28-2016, 05:23 PM
Well the last two games have been... Close

That's about all I can say

What has been your take Jiri?

JiriHrdina
02-28-2016, 05:33 PM
Tough to lose two games in overtime that you led, but blown leads have become the story of the season across the NLL.
Poulin was terrific today, and they had some good looks to end it in OT.
They really miss Dobbie, you simply can't replace him. I was hoping Melnyk would show more today, but he was pretty quiet.
Buton is a nice pick up on D.

Kerplunk
02-28-2016, 06:03 PM
Ya, I'm kinda getting tired of them being up at the half, but then coming out flat in the 3rd and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Also really, really miss the ability to win face-offs.

The Rush seemed to have the talent of performing form tackles and getting away with it....

Da_Chief
02-28-2016, 06:15 PM
Tough to lose two games in overtime that you led, but blown leads have become the story of the season across the NLL.
Poulin was terrific today, and they had some good looks to end it in OT.
They really miss Dobbie, you simply can't replace him. I was hoping Melnyk would show more today, but he was pretty quiet.
Buton is a nice pick up on D.

Were you calling the game today?

cavalera403
02-28-2016, 08:37 PM
At least two times Dickson was hauled to the ground without even a possession call let alone a penalty and to have M Carnagie get call right after was just a joke.

In overtime it looked like the rush player shot the ball and it went off a rush player then out of play. They get the ball and promptly score. I wasn't at the best spot but did anyone see a replay if it did go off a roughneck?

Totally agree about missing 44 that left side is just garbage without him. Also miss that break out in the 4th quarter that he usually picks up a goal off the bench that really could have changed the tide in the last few games

JiriHrdina
02-28-2016, 08:39 PM
Were you calling the game today?

Yup. On FoxSportsgo

Julio
03-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Dammit...another OT loss.

cavalera403
03-05-2016, 10:22 PM
Just yuck. Great goal to tie it late however

JiriHrdina
03-05-2016, 10:35 PM
One of the best games they've played but losing three straight in overtime is devestating

cavalera403
03-05-2016, 10:45 PM
Jiri how did you see the OT winner? Was there not an illigal slash on that play to knock the stick out from #11?

JiriHrdina
03-05-2016, 10:51 PM
Jiri how did you see the OT winner? Was there not an illigal slash on that play to knock the stick out from #11?

Maybe but tough call to make in overtime

Da_Chief
03-05-2016, 11:18 PM
Looks like a re-build year. Losses piling up. Any idea who the top prospect is next year and if he's any good?

JiriHrdina
03-05-2016, 11:35 PM
Riggers will probably still make the playoffs because Vancouver is awful

JiriHrdina
03-05-2016, 11:36 PM
Looks like a re-build year. Losses piling up. Any idea who the top prospect is next year and if he's any good?

No clear number 1. Good draft for D but top pick could easily be a forward

InglewoodFan
03-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Tough loss. Vinc is so tough to get one past. And the Knighthawks were very effective in shutting down Digby, he seemed very frustrated at times. Also missed Dobbie in a game where goals were tough to come by.

On the upside, Burton is looking good on face offs. A decently strong game by Poulin. Our D kept Dawson in check and did a reasonable job on Jamieson.

Three OT losses in a row is tough. This is where the team leadership and coaching staff need to step up.

Kerplunk
03-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Tough loss...and another in OT. Good goaltending, defense, and faceoffs. A few chances to end it in OT but needed to hit the net first. That called off goal/late review flag could have made the difference.

FlamingHomer
03-20-2016, 11:05 AM
Nice. A win against Colorado. Really missing lacrosse this year. Based only on the gamesheets, there seems to be swing back to Poulin lately. Has he regained some of his form of a couple of years ago?

JiriHrdina
03-20-2016, 02:47 PM
Yeah Poulin is playing his best lacrosse since he won goalie of the year. Making the stops he can see and controlling the rebounds nicely.
Of note - the Roughnecks also stopped "The Streak" last night. Adam Jones had scored 1 more or goals in 57 straight games...an NLL record. He didn't score last night - a testament to the effort of Poulin, but also the entire D.

JiriHrdina
03-25-2016, 08:15 PM
Riggers win in Georgia tonight while the Stealth lose - more breathing room. Vancouver is just terrible. The Roughnecks will probably finish 3rd - gonna be tough to chase down Sask or Col for 2nd, but at least they are now firmly in place in a playoff spot.

Dickson continues to be unreal. 6-5 tonight. 4-5 for Dobbie. Having both guys in the line-up is basically the key for this team. Without Dobbie, there is no balance, and teams can just blanket Dickson. With Dobbie out there, they have to pick their poison.

This is a very dangerous team, that is getting better as the season goes on. Not a squad I'd want to face in the first round.

cavalera403
03-25-2016, 11:45 PM
Any details on the new jerseys they are going with for the next home game?

t0rrent98
03-30-2016, 02:11 AM
Some roughneck player got roughed up by the opposing tendy. That was awesome.

Resolute 14
03-30-2016, 10:24 AM
FOBZnManJxw

A little cheap for the goalie to be doing that, but a solid hit nonetheless. Andrew McBride was pretty pissed about it on Twitter though. He was basically calling for it to be open season on goalies that leave the crease. Moreso than it already is.

JiriHrdina
03-30-2016, 10:27 AM
Yeah tough one to make a call on. Not surprised they said it was clean, but it could cause some reprucssions. Lacrosse is a sport where numbers are taken and payback delivered eventually - moreso than hockey.
The real blown call though was late in the game when the Riggers were up by 1 - ball clearly went into the netting and refs missed it. Mammoth scored to tie. Everyone in the arena knew it hit the netting and the D paused for that crucial second. You gotta play to the whistle but tough one.

Can't believe this team has lost 4 straight over-times. They are due.

GeoffSK
04-03-2016, 01:02 PM
Sellout in Saskatoon vs the Roughnecks last night. Rush win 11-9. I was in attendance. Good to see Saskatoon embracing the team.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Resolute 14
04-03-2016, 01:05 PM
Saskatoon really embraced the team. It helps a lot that they inherited a top calibre club, but I think they would have drawn well even with an expansion team.

GeoffSK
04-03-2016, 01:07 PM
It was mentioned on a nll broadcast that the rush has sold more merchandise this year than 10 total years in Edmonton.

Riders pathetic season might have meant more money saved the fans out here.

Resolute 14
04-03-2016, 01:21 PM
I'm not even sure Katz allowed the Rush to sell stuff in the arena stores. He certainly didn't allow them to give off any other impression that lacrosse was played at Rexall.

Though yeah, I was pretty surprised at how many Saskatchewan fans were in green Rush gear at the home opener here. I was fully expecting a bunch of silver Rush gear and Rider jerseys.

Resolute 14
04-06-2016, 05:30 PM
http://www.calgaryroughnecks.com/site/necks/page.asp?page=view_news&newsID=5889#.VwWbz6QrLDe

Roughnecks are wearing, and auctioning off, Darth Vader themed jerseys this weekend.

Curtis Dickson's jersey is already up to $825! Most everyone else is near the starting price of $200.

undercoverbrother
04-06-2016, 05:40 PM
http://www.calgaryroughnecks.com/site/necks/page.asp?page=view_news&newsID=5889#.VwWbz6QrLDe

Roughnecks are wearing, and auctioning off, Darth Vader themed jerseys this weekend.

Curtis Dickson's jersey is already up to $825! Most everyone else is near the starting price of $200.

That is ####ing cool.

my boy and I were going to go, but he has a lacrosse game 9ish on Sunday morning.

too bad.

shermanator
04-06-2016, 07:34 PM
You know what? Good for the Rush. They were treated like crap in Edmonton, despite having a really good team. Glad to see them being a top draw in Saskatoon. Hopefully the team can be stable in that market.

CMPunk
04-06-2016, 08:07 PM
I like the idea, but those jerseys are terrible.

Resolute 14
04-07-2016, 08:29 AM
That's generally the point. Gimmick jerseys are almost always terrible.

JiriHrdina
04-07-2016, 09:10 AM
Keep in mind that the Roughnecks are big with kids. Kids will love this jersey. That's the point.

Weitz
04-07-2016, 09:16 AM
You know what? Good for the Rush. They were treated like crap in Edmonton, despite having a really good team. Glad to see them being a top draw in Saskatoon. Hopefully the team can be stable in that market.

They have no one to blame but their owner. I am sure he will do the same in Saskatoon when the "shiny new toy" syndrome wears off as my friends who live there say.

JiriHrdina
04-07-2016, 09:25 AM
They have no one to blame but their owner. I am sure he will do the same in Saskatoon when the "shiny new toy" syndrome wears off as my friends who live there say.

What did the owner do wrong in your mind?
You need a good venue partner and the Oilers pretty much did everything they could to make it fail. Including telling him that he couldn't use the phrase "Battle of Alberta".
The Oilers treated him like trash like the joke of an organization they are, from top to bottom, that they are.

Resolute 14
04-07-2016, 09:34 AM
Yeah, sorry Weitz. The owner to blame here is Darryl Katz. Bruce Urban is a bit of a tool, but he was treated like crap by Katz, and the City of Edmonton is so busy kissing Katz's ass that they kowtow to everything he demands on the arena they built. Urban was forced out on a power play because Katz has insisted on complete control over everything to do with the new arena.

You can bet Katz is going to angle for an NLL expansion team (or relocation - there's no way Langley can survive long term), so that he is the one in control.

Weitz
04-07-2016, 09:36 AM
What did the owner do wrong in your mind?
You need a good venue partner and the Oilers pretty much did everything they could to make it fail. Including telling him that he couldn't use the phrase "Battle of Alberta".
The Oilers treated him like trash like the joke of an organization, from top to bottom, that they are.

Its foolish to lay the blame on the Oilers or the OEG. Urban was very hard to deal with and had been planning to move to Saskatoon for 2 years unless he got an absolute sweetheart deal to play in the new stadium.

The way he negotiated with the City for access to Northlands and use of Rexall left him with very few friends in Edmonton.

Publicly calling out the Mayor of Edmonton because he turned down an invitation to one of the play offs games - an invitation extended teh day of the game - claiming no one in the city supported the team.

Spending little money on marketing and ploys to get fans in the gate etc etc

Not to mention Urban points the finger at the City and Mayor - not the OEG for the reason of the move.

CMPunk
04-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Keep in mind that the Roughnecks are big with kids. Kids will love this jersey. That's the point.

I'm not arguing that...I know the point of the jersey and why they're doing them. I mean it's terrible because it's a poor design. Throwing the Vader head under the team logo just seems lazy...I just feel they could have done something way better.

The Fonz
04-10-2016, 11:49 AM
Going to my 1st Rush/NLL game this Saturday! Pretty pumped about it. I've heard nothing but great things from friends who have attended this year.

Yoho
04-30-2016, 09:36 PM
OT tonight against the Rock

Resolute 14
05-02-2016, 09:33 AM
The Roughnecks' playoffs are going to be very short if the struggle they endured to beat the lowly Rock is any indication. Fun game, but a lot of bad decisions.

Also F the delay of game rules entirely. It is hilarious, sad and embarrassing that the referees can - with complete and total subjectivity - call anyone they want for not dropping the ball within 1/1000 of a second for delay of game.

JiriHrdina
05-02-2016, 09:35 AM
I don't know if I would take much away from that Rock game. It was essentially a pre-season game - and it played out as such. The intensity was there, but it was very loosey goosey.
The Mammoth aren't playing well either. I think the team that gets strong tending wins it. Getting Dobbie back is key too. Shattler has really found his offensive game again, having him and Dobbie on the left and Dickson/Digby/Berg on the right is a tough match-up.
I think they win in Denver.

Resolute 14
05-02-2016, 12:50 PM
I hope so, even if the reward is only to get crushed by Saskatchewan.

Resolute 14
05-07-2016, 08:53 PM
Roughnecks taking a litany of very stupid penalties in the third quarter, but are barely holding on because of two shorthanded goals. 7-6 midway through the third.

Yoho
05-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Great game

jayswin
05-07-2016, 09:29 PM
Woooooooooow!!!! What a shot, tie game!

jayswin
05-07-2016, 09:37 PM
Two possessions in a row with no shots for the Roughnecks. Can't keep doing that.

Resolute 14
05-07-2016, 09:43 PM
Longest overtime I've ever seen.

Their D and our dumb are preventing us from even getting shots off.

jayswin
05-07-2016, 09:44 PM
What a save by Poulin! Just saved the season.

jayswin
05-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Wooohoooo, we get the honour of getting murdered by the Rush!!!

Resolute 14
05-07-2016, 09:46 PM
LMAO!

Avalanche, Mammoth, doesn't matter. The Altitude PBP guys are so pathetic.

Woo Roughnecks!

Yoho
05-07-2016, 09:47 PM
Love it

jayswin
05-07-2016, 09:48 PM
LMAO!

Avalanche, Mammoth, doesn't matter. The PBP guys are so pathetic.

Woo Roughnecks!

That was the absolute most pathetic goal call I've ever heard in any sport, lol. NLL playoffs need more Grant Farhall!

Resolute 14
05-07-2016, 09:53 PM
Game 1 of the West Final is in Calgary on May 14. Game two, and the possible sudden-death mini-game, are May 15 21 in Saskatoon.

GeoffSK
05-07-2016, 09:58 PM
Game 1 of the West Final is in Calgary on May 14. Game two, and the possible sudden-death mini-game, are May 15 in Saskatoon.
Game in saskatoon is on the 21st.

Resolute 14
05-07-2016, 10:01 PM
Crap, you're right. Thanks. I misread the tweet I saw from the Rush.

dirk diggler
05-07-2016, 10:08 PM
That was the absolute most pathetic goal call I've ever heard in any sport, lol. NLL playoffs need more Grant Farhall!

those pathetic announcers were almost in tears, i dont think they will beat the rush but i am glad to see colorado lose and now "Jr." can retire hopefully.

JiriHrdina
05-07-2016, 10:47 PM
Roughnecks can beat the Rush. Bold hasn't been himself this season and at times they have been sleepy.
Best team in the league for sure. I think the Riggers have about a 25% chance of winninng the series.

JiriHrdina
05-07-2016, 10:52 PM
BTW that was indeed the longest overtime playoff game in NLL history

Dion
05-07-2016, 11:34 PM
Looking forward to the game next Saturday. Hopefully fans will show up in droves and pack the Dome.

If anyone hasn't been to a Roughnecks game, it's great entertainment.

jayswin
05-08-2016, 01:39 PM
Looking forward to the game next Saturday. Hopefully fans will show up in droves and pack the Dome.

If anyone hasn't been to a Roughnecks game, it's great entertainment.

They won't. I'd imagine anywhere between 11-13k. I would be surprised at 14k+

Resolute 14
05-08-2016, 04:00 PM
11-13k is mammoth for an NLL playoff game. Minor leagues often experience attendance declines in the playoffs, and that's what the NLL is.

Last night's games:
13,116 in Colorado (season average: 13,832)
3,266 in New England (season average: 3,751)

Last year...
12,785 in Calgary (season average: 11,642)
6,527 and 5,808 in Rochester (7,051)
16,027 in Colorado (14,787)
10,210 and 9,257* in Toronto (10,011)
7,690 and 12,275* in Edmonton (6,578)

(*= NLL championship series)

jayswin
05-08-2016, 04:06 PM
The NLL really hit it's high mark in the mid 2000's. Looking back we took gate numbers for granted at the time, but wow was the league ever flying back then.

Toronto and Colorado we're legitimate packed crowds at 16-18k a game and I remember being jealous that Calgary was very strong but slightly behind in the 13-15k range. Now fans don't even blink at Toronto and Calgary being 9-11k markets and Colorado leading the pack at 11-13k.

Obviously a lot of leagues have taken steps back with the comfort of the home viewing experience being what it is, but still disappointing to see in such a gate driven league.

Resolute 14
05-08-2016, 04:29 PM
Before the Flames took over, Calgary was usually in the 7-8 thousand range for actual fans. Bannister almost always faked the numbers to make it look better - in those days, if he announced a crowd just over 10,000, you knew it was total bullcrap. Calgary has actually been remarkably consistent - both in terms of announced attendance, and in my subjective recollection of actual fans in seats. If anything, the crowds have gotten a little bigger since the Flames took over:

Looking over Calgary's attendance:
2016 - 11,471 (4th)
2015 - 11,642 (3rd)
2014 - 10,615 (3rd)
2013 - 10,215 (4th)
2012 - 8,312 (5th)
2011 - 10,384 (3rd)
2010 - 10,418 (3rd)
2009 - 10,398 (6th)
2008 - 12,211 (4th)
2007 - 12,707 (4th)
2006 - 11,777 (6th)
2005 - 10,207 (5th)

But the bigger problem is as you say. In any given year, two of Toronto, Buffalo or Colorado usually posted gaudy numbers. How much was real, and how much was paper is unknown, but the NLL really misses the years when the Rock and Mammoth claimed 17,000 fans per game, and the Bandits and Wings were battling Calgary around 10k. While we've remained steady, the general trend has been down.

In Calgary, we're actually spoiled because the Roughnecks always make the playoffs. It has done a great deal to help us build a lacrosse culture here. Didn't happen in Minnesota, where they went from 10k to 6k before relocating. Edmonton always plodded along in the 6-8k range. Other big markets failed outright - Chicago, NYC, Boston, San Jose, Anaheim, Phoenix. Vancouver failed once and will fail again.

How many times has the NLL shifted plans? They went on a big Canadian expansion run - adding Ottawa, Calgary, Montreal, Vancouver (Ravens) and Edmonton. Only Calgary remains. They tried to recruit NHL owners for access to NHL buildings - of the NHL teams that brought in their own teams, only Colorado remains, while Calgary and Buffalo were subsequently taken over. Going big didn't work, so now they are going mid-market. Langley, Uncasville, CT (Mohegan Sun), Duluth (Atlanta), Saskatoon. Long term, it seems only Saskatoon is likely to survive.

Weitz
05-09-2016, 09:13 AM
Tickets are too expensive now IMO. Most of the people I know have stopped going because of this.

TheAlpineOracle
05-09-2016, 09:52 AM
I would like to attend, but there is no way I'm paying the ticket prices they are asking for professional Lacrosse. I'll wait to see if I get an offer from the Flames for my season ticket account. If not, I won't be attending. $55 a ticket to sit in the second bowl is outrageous.

undercoverbrother
05-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Tickets are too expensive now IMO. Most of the people I know have stopped going because of this.

I would like to attend, but there is no way I'm paying the ticket prices they are asking for professional Lacrosse. I'll wait to see if I get an offer from the Flames for my season ticket account. If not, I won't be attending. $55 a ticket to sit in the second bowl is outrageous.

I don't know. When I compare it to the Flames, it is a great deal. I actually don't have an issue paying that for a play-off game. The product/sport is great and hopefully it continues to grow.

TheAlpineOracle
05-09-2016, 10:19 AM
I don't know. When I compare it to the Flames, it is a great deal. I actually don't have an issue paying that for a play-off game. The product/sport is great and hopefully it continues to grow.

It's a fringe sport, and it's way too expensive to gather general interest. I would probably pay $50 if it was just me going with some friends because I really like the game, but none of my friends are colleagues who really don't care are going to pay that. Hard sell at that price.

So that leave me with my wife who:

A) I'm not going to pay $50 for her to sit there on her cell phone and add another $50 on concessions on top of that to keep her occupied.

B) Will ask me how much it is (because she really is only going for me) and as soon as I say $50 a ticket will determine it's a $200 night and tell me we can better spend that money elsewhere (go to a nice restaurant, go to Canmore for the night, etc.).

I don't have kids, but i'm also assuming a lot of parents aren't going to want to be throwing down $50 a ticket to bring their kid to a lacrosse game.

If the Roughnecks got me in the door on Saturday I'm spending at least $100 on beer/food and probably any in the circle of people who come with me are doing the same. They'd be better off Charging me $25-$30 to get in and getting my concessions than they are charging $50 and losing on all my revenue. There's tons of empty seats, it's not like demand exceeds supply here.

undercoverbrother
05-09-2016, 10:43 AM
It's a fringe sport, and it's way too expensive to gather general interest. I would probably pay $50 if it was just me going with some friends because I really like the game, but none of my friends are colleagues who really don't care are going to pay that. Hard sell at that price.

So that leave me with my wife who:

A) I'm not going to pay $50 for her to sit there on her cell phone and add another $50 on concessions on top of that to keep her occupied.

B) Will ask me how much it is (because she really is only going for me) and as soon as I say $50 a ticket will determine it's a $200 night and tell me we can better spend that money elsewhere (go to a nice restaurant, go to Canmore for the night, etc.).

I don't have kids, but i'm also assuming a lot of parents aren't going to want to be throwing down $50 a ticket to bring their kid to a lacrosse game.

If the Roughnecks got me in the door on Saturday I'm spending at least $100 on beer/food and probably any in the circle of people who come with me are doing the same. They'd be better off Charging me $25-$30 to get in and getting my concessions than they are charging $50 and losing on all my revenue. There's tons of empty seats, it's not like demand exceeds supply here.

It is a fringe sport, and I agree that is one of the things holding it back.

I still don't think that is too much for what you get, which is a fast well played sport.

Clearly we will have to agree to disagree.

I don't know if you have kids involved in Lacrosse, but I get emails all the time from Roughnecks with deals on tickets.

TheAlpineOracle
05-09-2016, 10:51 AM
It is a fringe sport, and I agree that is one of the things holding it back.

I still don't think that is too much for what you get, which is a fast well played sport.

Clearly we will have to agree to disagree.

I don't know if you have kids involved in Lacrosse, but I get emails all the time from Roughnecks with deals on tickets.

It doesn't really matter what me and you think though as we are big sports fans (based on posting here) and we are probably going to cave and pay what is asked in the end. It does matter though what casual people just looking for some entertainment think. Here's the conversation i've had with quite a few of my friends/colleagues over the past two days.

Me: Hey let's go the Lacrosse game Saturday Night and have some beers. I've been to some games and always have a great time. It's the Western Final.

Friend/Colleague: Saturday Night? Sounds Great. I'd probably go, how much are tickets.

Me: $65 in the lower bowl or $45-$55 in the second bowl.

Friend/Colleague: Wow, for lacrosse??? That's a bit ridiculous. I would have went before you told me how much it was. Let's go to a bar and watch the UFC fights instead.

As soon as I tell them the price, it's a 100% deal breaker.

undercoverbrother
05-09-2016, 10:53 AM
It doesn't really matter what me and you think though as we are big sports fans (based on posting here) and we are probably going to cave and pay what is asked in the end. It does matter though what casual people just looking for some entertainment think. Here's the conversation i've had with quite a few of my friends/colleagues over the past two days.

Me: Hey let's go the Lacrosse game Saturday Night and have some beers. I've been to some games and always have a great time. It's the Western Final.

Friend/Colleague: Saturday Night? Sounds Great. I'd probably go, how much are tickets.

Me: $65 in the lower bowl or $45-$55 in the second bowl.

Friend/Colleague: Wow, for lacrosse??? That's a bit ridiculous. I would have went before you told me how much it was. Let's go to a bar and watch the UFC fights instead.

As soon as I tell them the price, it's a 100% deal breaker.

My takeaway is that you need better friends, ;)

TheAlpineOracle
05-09-2016, 11:05 AM
My takeaway is that you need better friends, ;)

Possibly.

Resolute 14
05-09-2016, 11:34 AM
The truth is, the Flames/Roughnecks are better off getting 12,000 fans at the roughly $45 average price than they are getting 15,000 at $30. And no, the concession sales won't make up the difference.

Also, go to Safeway and get the vouchers. $26 for the playoffs.

JiriHrdina
05-09-2016, 11:42 AM

At least the aggregate level this isn't happening

RM14
05-09-2016, 01:03 PM

$25 seats at Safeway.

TheAlpineOracle
05-09-2016, 01:44 PM
At least the aggregate level this isn't happening

I've thought their season tickets were always quite reasonable (often thought about getting them). It's the individual game tickets that are out of whack. Hard to get more people out to the game hoping to turn them into long term fans at that ticket price.

TheAlpineOracle
05-09-2016, 01:45 PM
$25 seats at Safeway.

I'll be picking some up tonight. Are those the ones that are unassigned and you show up at the game with the voucher?

RM14
05-09-2016, 01:51 PM
I'll be picking some up tonight. Are those the ones that are unassigned and you show up at the game with the voucher?

Yes, and there is a table set-up at the Main entrance beside the fanatic. They will have pre-printed tickets that you can just make the exchange for. Or if you want to pick specific seats, you can go down to the main ticket office early and do that.

InglewoodFan
05-09-2016, 08:12 PM
Many discount codes available for the game saturday - RN262 (friend of mine who works for CSEC), RN199 (one of my ticket reps), RN310 (Flames STH friends of the roughnecks code)

$35.99 lower bowl, $24.99 upper.

undercoverbrother
05-10-2016, 11:59 AM
WEST DIVISION FINAL
Calgary Roughnecks VS Saskatchewan Rush
Saturday, May 14 7:00PM
Friends of the Roughnecks Special Offer
$24.99/ticket (2nd level rows 5 and up)
$35.99/ticket (lower bowl, 2nd level rows 1-4)
(plus applicable fees)
Best game day price for Roughnecks Playoffs!

To purchase tickets, click "Buy Now" below and use my exclusive password in the
box on the Ticketmaster page.

SPECIAL OFFER CODE:
RN175

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/calgary-roughnecks-vs-saskatchewan-rush-calgary-alberta-05-14-2016/event/11005093E0D89B25?artistid=850098&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=35&tm_link=artist_msg-0_11005093E0D89B25

another offer, just got this email

jayswin
05-10-2016, 04:07 PM
This is part of what frustrates me about the smaller leagues. There's always lots of promo codes and offers available that actual fans always know about. "Well price isn't an excuse because look at offers a b and c that I and others know about, the deals are there if people just look".

So yes the deals are there yet they'll lose out on thousands of casual fans/people looking for a family day out who just go to ticket master and go "yikes, nope!" And then move on to the next activity with no more effort than that.

RM14
05-11-2016, 11:23 AM
They should have done a $10 fire sale just to see if they can possibly fill the place.

TheAlpineOracle
05-11-2016, 11:28 AM
This is part of what frustrates me about the smaller leagues. There's always lots of promo codes and offers available that actual fans always know about. "Well price isn't an excuse because look at offers a b and c that I and others know about, the deals are there if people just look".

So yes the deals are there yet they'll lose out on thousands of casual fans/people looking for a family day out who just go to ticket master and go "yikes, nope!" And then move on to the next activity with no more effort than that.

Yup, it's pretty ludicrous and off-putting to casual fans. My favourite was the Calgary Vipers. They had 2 tickets prices if my memory serves me correct (20-25 bucks for lower and $10 for upper). The whole stadium was empty so the 500 people that did go would all buy the cheap ticket and sit where they wanted only to be hassled by the idiot Onwer/President of the baseball team for sitting where they were supposed to instead of encouraging them to come back.

jayswin
05-11-2016, 01:02 PM
They should have done a $10 fire sale just to see if they can possibly fill the place.

Like Resolute mentioned they'd rather have less fans at a higher ticket cost if it means more profit. I've never agreed with the degree a lot of smaller leagues rely on this method, but it's their right I guess.

I feel it's shortsighted sometimes, as crowds of 15k could convert hundreds of the extra few thousand fans into life-long fans/season ticket holders, not to mention the intangibles like a stronger more intimidating crowd leading to more home success, FA's wanting to sign there, etc.

But gotta collect that extra revenue now at the higher prices with less fans because business, bitches!!!!!!!!!

TheAlpineOracle
05-11-2016, 01:21 PM
Like Resolute mentioned they'd rather have less fans at a higher ticket cost if it means more profit. I've never agreed with the degree a lot of smaller leagues rely on this method, but it's their right I guess.

I feel it's shortsighted sometimes, as crowds of 15k could convert hundreds of the extra few thousand fans into life-long fans/season ticket holders, not to mention the intangibles like a stronger more intimidating crowd leading to more home success, FA's wanting to sign there, etc.

But gotta collect that extra revenue now at the higher prices with less fans because business, bitches!!!!!!!!!

It worked in the QMJHL team where I grew up. The city didn't want the QMJHL. They were used to AHL hockey and wanted professional hockey only. The first year the team was drawing like 600-700 people a game. The team almost folded and had to borrow sticks and equipment from other teams on the road (it was rumored other teams were actually feeding the team on road trips)

New owners came in started filling seats by giving free tickets out to the kids at the schools to bring their parents and came up with some cheap concessions, and over a couple years they built an attendance of around 5k a game (more people that when to the AHL games). Now one of the healthiest franchises in the CHL and probably has some of the highest ticket prices.

Now the Roughnecks are in pretty good shape financially from what I can see, I just don't see why they don't do more to fill those empty seats. Sure reducing the ticket prices on everyone doesn't make sense, but running more promotions and advertising those wouldn't hurt. Turn an empty seat into some revenue and hopefully build a larger fan base going forward. It's a great product. It sells itself. They just need to get more people in the door.

Lots of promotions out now, but a lot of people don't know about them.

InglewoodFan
05-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Looks like the Roughnecks are kicking back $4 a ticket plus the 50/50 to Fort Mac relief.

As an aside, they've also give thousands to local minor lacrosse clubs which helps build the sport and eventual fans.

RM14
05-12-2016, 12:51 PM
Should have announced on Sunday, $10 seats, all proceeds to Ft.Mac relief. No codes, no Kick-backs. One simple announcement and build hype around this franchise.

Mister Yamoto
05-12-2016, 01:34 PM
I couldn't think of a better way to piss off the seasons ticket holders than to give away a bunch of tickets to this game.

When you give something away for free that becomes what it is worth. Besides, the Roughnecks have good attendance.

RM14
05-13-2016, 11:00 AM
I couldn't think of a better way to piss off the seasons ticket holders than to give away a bunch of tickets to this game.

When you give something away for free that becomes what it is worth. Besides, the Roughnecks have good attendance.

That's why if it's a fund raiser, season ticket holders can't be too angry about that and season ticket holders get the benefit of a fuller building/playoff atmosphere.

Looking at the select a seat on TM right now, this could be the worst attended game of the season.

TheAlpineOracle
05-13-2016, 11:55 AM
That's why if it's a fund raiser, season ticket holders can't be too angry about that and season ticket holders get the benefit of a fuller building/playoff atmosphere.

Looking at the select a seat on TM right now, this could be the worst attended game of the season.

I bought tickets yesterday. It didn't seem too bad. Most seats were about halfway up the second bowl.

TheAlpineOracle
05-14-2016, 10:00 PM
So I'm no lacrosse expert, I basically have been going to the playoff games for the past 4 years once the Flames are done so I could be competely off base on this, but is the Roughnecks goalie completely incapable of making a clutch save? That seems to be the difference to me each year. He wasn't that bad tonight ( was terrible in the prior years in my eyes), but just can't make that one save they need when the chips are all down.

Is there a reason they keep this guy around (assuming I'm
Not offbase)? Is it hard to find a replacement in this league? Do they have to be local given the low salaries?

dirk diggler
05-15-2016, 06:23 PM
Poulin is a good goalie. tough position to play. the roughnecks are a good team, the rush are a great team. i dont think it matters who they have in net for the most part.

JiriHrdina
05-15-2016, 08:33 PM
There were 3 or 4 times when the Roughnecks nearly beat Bold - ball bouncing around his feet, to have it stay out and the Rush score at the other end immediately.
That's the game right there.

dirk diggler
05-15-2016, 09:30 PM
last night was a perfect example of why the Rush are so good, calgary holds Matthews and Greer in check and they still put the boots to them. great team, nothing else to say

Da_Chief
05-15-2016, 10:01 PM
Yup, they've built a great team and hey have the 1st and 3rd overall picks in the next draft as well. They will be atop the NLL for a looong time.

dirk diggler
05-18-2016, 05:12 PM
Yup, they've built a great team and hey have the 1st and 3rd overall picks in the next draft as well. They will be atop the NLL for a looong time.

didnt realize that, wow they will be set for awhile. hope they dont find another Matthews

saskflames69
05-23-2016, 03:12 AM
so what hurts more - losing to the saskatchewan rush, or the edmonton rush?

Da_Chief
05-23-2016, 06:28 AM
Definitely Edmonton. Don't even care for Sask.

JiriHrdina
05-23-2016, 11:21 AM
didnt realize that, wow they will be set for awhile. hope they dont find another Matthews

I don't think this year's draft has a Matthews, but it has good pieces.
There challenge will be freeing up spots for these guys. The players they draft 1st and 3rd can and will expect to step in. So you need to move some of your other guys - which the Rush will likely do in return for more picks.
They have a great thing going. Literally not a single weak spot on that roster.

saskflames69
05-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Definitely Edmonton. Don't even care for Sask.

I feel like Calgary and Saskatoon would both benefit on and off the floor from having another team in Edmonton. Let's hope Daryl Katz owns it so they're no good for a while.

craigwd
06-05-2016, 01:37 AM
What a series, awesome season for Saskatchewan!
It's very premature, but I'm thinking threepeat next year. ☺

dirk diggler
06-05-2016, 10:02 AM
this is a team that could continue to win for many years. teams like calgary need to find a way to get better quickly.

FlamingHomer
07-22-2016, 02:46 PM
Here is the order for the upcoming NLL Draft. Calgary 5th and of course the Rush pick 1st overall. How do they keep doing that?

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/rock-to-pick-2nd-overall-as-nll-announces-order-of-selection-for-draft/n-5185891

JiriHrdina
07-22-2016, 03:04 PM
The Rush bent Vancouver over on a deal a couple years ago.
They are an incredibly well run franchise. Their biggest challenge is going to be creating roster space for these high picks. Most top picks expect to get playing time out of the gate - I expect the Rush will move out a guy like Curtis Knight this off-season to clear some space.
From what I understand - this draft isn't really strong. I expect the Roughnecks will continue to try and add some pieces on the back end. Bell was a very good pick last year - but they still need some youthful legs back there.

undercoverbrother
07-25-2016, 02:19 PM
I went to see a MLL game while I was in Denver the past few weeks.

Is there any cross over of athletes? I don't think the seasons overlap.

It was enjoyable, but my boy and I prefer Box to Field.

craigwd
07-25-2016, 03:11 PM
There is definitely crossover but not to the extent as summer box lacrosse in BC and Ontario.