PDA

View Full Version : 2015 ALCS Toronto Blue Jays VS Kansas City Royals

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

CgyFlamesftw
10-14-2015, 09:23 PM
Blue jays one of four teams remaining. These two teams met mid July before the all star break and was possibly one of the most intense games all year long. Best of 7 series beginning

Friday October 16th 730 ET.
Saturday October 17th 530 ET.
Monday October 19th 700ET.
Tuesday October 20th TBD.
Wednesday October 21st TBD.
Friday October 23rd TBD.
Saturday October 24th TBD.

Mathgod
10-14-2015, 09:28 PM
Give em hell Jays.

I'm guessing Estrada game 1, Price game 2, Dickey game 3, Stroman game 4, Estrada game 5, Price game 6, Dickey game 7.

Buehrle and Hutchitson take the spots of Cecil and Loup?

Should be a great series.

(Pluck me if Tulo bats below the half-Mendoza again...)

KootenayFlamesFan
10-14-2015, 09:31 PM
There's some bad blood there. Should be an awesome series. Hopefully not too many games are at 10 am.

Roof-Daddy
10-14-2015, 09:31 PM
So who get's the ball game 1? Estrada?

Game 1 - Estrada
Game 2 - Price
Game 3 - Stroman
Game 4 - Dickey

Sound about right?
Hopefully Price can find his mojo in the playoffs. He's been underwhelming thus far.

getbak
10-14-2015, 09:32 PM
And we'll never be Royals.
It don't run in our blood,
That kind of luxe just ain't for us.
We crave a different kind of buzz.

Let's go Blue Jays!

Finger Cookin
10-14-2015, 09:34 PM
Give em hell Jays.

I'm guessing Estrada game 1, Price game 2, Dickey game 3, Stroman game 4, Estrada game 5, Price game 6, Dickey game 7.

Buehrle and Hutchitson take the spots of Cecil and Loup?

Should be a great series.

(Pluck me if Tulo bats below the half-Mendoza again...)

Put Stroman in Game 3 so you can use him again in Game 7 if you have to.

Mathgod
10-14-2015, 09:51 PM
Put Stroman in Game 3 so you can use him again in Game 7 if you have to.
He would be on short rest though... wouldn't he?

Roof-Daddy
10-14-2015, 09:53 PM
He would be on short rest though... wouldn't he?

Nope.

15th, 16th, 17th, 18th off.

Game 3 is on the 19th.

V
10-14-2015, 09:57 PM
The way the last series went, I guess it isn't a huge deal that they don't have home field advantage.

Sainters7
10-14-2015, 10:12 PM
Love it, I was legit bummed when KC was down 6-2 in game 4 because I want all the shenanigans that'll come from this series.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android

savemedrzaius
10-14-2015, 10:35 PM
Watched the post-game celebration again and did anyone notice Price and Stro. Those guys seem tight. The whole team seems so close. I really hope Jays match any offer Price gets on the market because it seems like he would be willing to stay here. Fits in for sure.

Street Pharmacist
10-14-2015, 10:37 PM
Watched the post-game celebration again and did anyone notice Price and Stro. Those guys seem tight. The whole team seems so close. I really hope Jays match any offer Price gets on the market because it seems like he would be willing to stay here. Fits in for sure.
It's not going to be the money per year, it'll be the term. That's the killer

Sylvanfan
10-14-2015, 10:42 PM
I like a fly ball pitcher like Estrada pitching in Kauffman stadium and Dickey throwing the knuckler indoors.

Frequitude
10-14-2015, 10:49 PM
We started the post trade deadline run against KC and we'll keep it going against KC.

Can't wait for the drama that will ensue. I'll put the over-under on hit batters at 6.

schooner
10-14-2015, 10:55 PM
It's not going to be the money per year, it'll be the term. That's the killer

With Beeston gone the 5 year term cap should go with him. But I agree, term will be the sticking point in negotiation. As a fan I say throw the money at him. What the team decides I have no idea. Price seems to enjoy playing in Toronto but he is also a pretty happy go lucky guy on a winning team so it is hard to read.

Overall it shouldnt be too big a deal. The Jays have a lot of guys under control so they can stay competitive.

And that is the last I will say about that. Whatever happens I want to focus on now!

Go Jays Go!

vegasbound
10-14-2015, 11:15 PM
Is it basically an assumption that Buehrle comes in, replacing the injured Cecil? I like Brett Cecil so I was pretty bummed that he got injured but Buehrle might be an okay consolation prize.

I just started watching the past two months, recovering from major knee surgery because it seemed there was nothing on except Blue Jays in the summer. Got me hooked. Call me a bandwagoner but go Jays!

goodyear
10-14-2015, 11:23 PM
Anyone remember what the beef was about between the Jays and the Royals?

I remember the dust up but not the stuff that lead up to it.

kmart
10-14-2015, 11:45 PM

I saw it as Stroman expressing his emotion jumping up and down and the vet Price with a concern for Stroman, coming back from a torn ACL, from doing anything dumb while celebrating. In saying that those two seem like a very close pairing. Heck, It seems like everyone on the pitching staff is Stromans best friend.

Caged Great
10-14-2015, 11:50 PM
At least we don't have to face the Astros pitching. That's not to say that the Royals are not dangerous in their own right.

I also hate minute maid park because I don't think the Jays have ever won a game there.

Hopefully the players remain calm throughout the ALCS.

hwy19man
10-15-2015, 12:19 AM
There's some bad blood there. Should be an awesome series. Hopefully not too many games are at 10 am. I think the earliest start time will be 1330h Mountain time, just like game 2 of this series.

kmart
10-15-2015, 12:23 AM
Anyone remember what the beef was about between the Jays and the Royals?

I remember the dust up but not the stuff that lead up to it.

All started with the ump issuing a warning after the Royals pitcher Volquez threw near Donaldsons head. Then it happened twice afterwards, once with Volquez, but the ump didn't throw anyone out. Afterwards, Sanchez threw and hit a Royals batter at the legs and got thrown out of the game.

Ned Yost, Royals manager, then went on to tell the media that nothing the Royals did was intentional and that Aaron Sanchez's actions were intentional on a 2-0 count, even though one of the balls was straight down the middle of the plate. Bautista then tweeted he lost respect for Ned Yost.

After the game, the Volquez (who is also starting game one) called Donaldson "a crybaby" and Donaldson replied saying he didn't want Volquez out of the game and that he was "good hitting."

Then out of nowhere Yordano Ventura, who will also be pitching this series, went on a Twitter tirade about Bautista being a nobody, accusing him of stealing signs, and warning Bautista about the next time they meet. That's went Gregg Zaun did his Sunday roast on Ventura.

KootenayFlamesFan
10-15-2015, 01:58 AM
Yeah, the good 'ole......'Okay, that's enough, everyone is warned!'

- Kansas keeps chucking at JD's head.....'Okay, seriously guys, no more of that!'
- Chucks at his head again......'That wasn't intentional, everyone calm down!'
- Sanchez hits the KC batter on the foot.....'You were already warned, yer outta here!!!!!'

That whole sequence was just so ridiculous. That ump should have been fired the next day.

CofR
10-15-2015, 04:51 AM
IIRC Gibbons got ejected from the game, then went back on the field when benches cleared.

Not a Jays fan but the way that game was managed by the ump was complete garbage... Since that game I've wanted this match up for the ALCS this year.

SportsJunky
10-15-2015, 05:44 AM
I'm still not over that game from yesterday! I like this ALCS series for Toronto. It's great if Buherle can be inserted into the bullpen to deal with the lefties in this series. Blue Jays are on a mission. That one yesterday was one for the ages.

Trojan97
10-15-2015, 06:13 AM
It's a 2-3-2 format for those not aware. It goes without saying that you need at least a split in KC, but if you can steal both there's a great shot to win it in 5 or less at home.

This should be a fantastic matchup. The back end of that Royals bullpen is scary but none of their starts terrify me. Ventura and Volquez had a bad ALDS, even Cueto got roughed up a little bit in his first start. If our bats can get inside their heads a little bit early on, look out.

Hemi-Cuda
10-15-2015, 08:58 AM
It's a 2-3-2 format for those not aware. It goes without saying that you need at least a split in KC, but if you can steal both there's a great shot to win it in 5 or less at home.

This should be a fantastic matchup. The back end of that Royals bullpen is scary but none of their starts terrify me. Ventura and Volquez had a bad ALDS, even Cueto got roughed up a little bit in his first start. If our bats can get inside their heads a little bit early on, look out.

I wish hockey would adopt that format. Less travel, and home advantage means more with 2 elimination games instead of just game 7

Enoch Root
10-15-2015, 09:04 AM
I wish hockey would adopt that format. Less travel, and home advantage means more with 2 elimination games instead of just game 7

They did once.

The away team seemed to win every series in 5 that year and they switched back.

Too bad,they should have been more patient

username
10-15-2015, 09:04 AM
For those needing a history lesson on these two teams this season:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/zaun-stop-writing-cheques-your-skinny-ass-cant-cash/

Gotta love Zaun!

ClubFlames
10-15-2015, 09:48 AM
Kansas will start Edinson Volquez in Game 1. He's the guy who almost hit Donaldson twice in the August series.

CaptainCrunch
10-15-2015, 10:01 AM
I don't know baseball, but all I know is that the Jays can't afford to fall asleep for long stretches at a time against these guys.

The Jays were really fortunate in game 5, especially with the three really strange errors in a row by Texas.

whosurnabby
10-15-2015, 11:06 AM
I don't know baseball, but all I know is that the Jays can't afford to fall asleep for long stretches at a time against these guys.

The Jays were really fortunate in game 5, especially with the three really strange errors in a row by Texas.
Huh? The Jays D was phenomenal and their approach at the plate was solid too. Texas was fortunate that it took the Blue Jays 2 games to play their game or else it would've been a much shorter series. Call me arrogant, but now that the boys got their "mojo" back and there's a sense of "hatred" towards the Royals, I predict that they are going to feast on KC's mediocre starting pitching. As a Jays fan, the only thing that scares me about KC is their dirty ways.. they've beaned a lot of hitters this year and they usually do it when they get salty.

One thing that I can guarantee is that small ball lovers will love this series. Kauffman is HUGE, dimension wise...Here's hoping the Jays continue to play their brand of baseball. Save the homerun swings once the series heads back to the Homerdome. :D

SuperMatt18
10-15-2015, 11:27 AM
I almost feel like that plays into the Jays attitude.

They play better when there is a "me against the world" attitude and have a little bit of anger in their game.

Throw at Donaldson or Bautista in game 1. I dare them.

BloodFetish
10-15-2015, 11:45 AM
You thought yesterday's bat flip was good? Wait until Joey Bats hits one out vs. KC, especially if it's Ventura on the mound.

I hope he does the "mic drop" move while staring at the pitcher.

Sylvanfan
10-15-2015, 12:09 PM
With Beeston gone the 5 year term cap should go with him. But I agree, term will be the sticking point in negotiation. As a fan I say throw the money at him. What the team decides I have no idea. Price seems to enjoy playing in Toronto but he is also a pretty happy go lucky guy on a winning team so it is hard to read.

Overall it shouldnt be too big a deal. The Jays have a lot of guys under control so they can stay competitive.

And that is the last I will say about that. Whatever happens I want to focus on now!

Go Jays Go!

There are ways around the term. If you put the big money up front with an opt out clause at year 3, the players more often than not are opting out of the contract because they can usually get the remaining term on the old contract for more money than what's left.

I too hope Price can better find his groove against the Royals. Although a lighter hitting contact type team like them could give him fits.

Jiggy_12
10-15-2015, 12:10 PM
Very much looking forward to this match-up. These are the two best teams in the AL, easily the most depth across all facets of the game and the two best defensive teams in MLB. I actually liked the Jays match-up against KC better than I did the Astros (KC doesn't possess a true ace pitcher like the Astros do with Keuchel, who could have potentially faced us 3 times).

A 7 game series to determine the best of the AL, and I like our chances.

Probable game 1 lineups (assuming no major changes to the 25 man rosters);

Kansas City

Escobar
Zobrist
Cain
Hosmer
Morales
Moustakas
Perez
Gordon
Rios
Toronto

Revere
Donaldson
Bautista
Encarnacion
Smoak/Colabello
Tulowitzki
Navarro (Estrada likely game 1 starter, otherwise Martin here)
Pillar
Goins
No weak spot in their core 9. no auto out. I think their lineup is deeper than ours, but they lack the same explosiveness 2-4 like we have. Jays have more power, Royals have more speed. I still take the Jays lineup over anyone else, but Royals are very very deep.

Rotations:

Kansas City
Volquez
Ventura
Cueto
Medlen/Young (KC used 3 man rotation in ALDS, might not get to these guys)
Toronto

Estrada
Price
Stroman
Dickey
Advantage - Bluejays. The Jays rotation features 4 of the top pitchers in the American League in the 2nd half of the season. The ONLY question mark is Dickey with his unpredictable knuckleball, but he answered those questions and concerns with his great effort in game 4. The Royals have 3 solid guys but also 3 very inconsistent guys. They can all be absolutely lights out, or they can impode. The consistency and pure talent of the Jays starters gives them a massive edge.

Core Bullpen:

Kansas City
Herrera (7th inning)
Madson (8th inning)
Davis (closer)
Duffy (lefty)
Hochevar
Toronto

Lowe (7th/8th inning)
Sanchez (7th/8th inning)
Osuna (closer)
Loup (lefty)
Hawkins
Hendricks
Have to give the bullpen edge to the Royals, even though the Jays top 3 are very good. It really falls off a cliff after that, and we don't even know if we will have Loup for the series (have to assume another lefty would be brought in in that case)

Team defense: Both teams are very strong up the middle, starting at catcher, middle infield, and then center field. No weakness on either side.
call this one a draw - its as close as you can get.

Key stat comparison (reg. season)

Batting average:
Toronto .269
KC .269

OBP:
Toronto .340
KC .322

OPS:
Toronto .797
KC .734

Fielding pct:
Toronto .985
KC .985

ERA:
Toronto 3.80
KC 3.73

WHIP:
Toronto 1.21
KC 1.28

Opponent's batting average:
Toronto .248
KC .249

Opponent's OPS:
Toronto .707
KC .710

Stolen bases:
Toronto 88
KC 104

My prediction: Two very talented teams here. I just really like the way the Jays hitters matchup against the Royals starters. If they do what they are supposed to do, it should render that Royals bullpen meaningless. If Royals take the lead to the 7th inning, it could be lights out Blue Jays. I'm going with Jays in 6.

trumpethead
10-15-2015, 12:23 PM
Kansas will start Edinson Volquez in Game 1. He's the guy who almost hit Donaldson twice in the August series.

Volquez actually hit Donaldson in the first inning of that game, then threw high and tight at him in the 3rd inning. Volquez followed it all up with "he's a little baby!" smack in his post-game interview. Donaldson retorted with a classic "I thought it was pretty good hitting so I don’t want him out of there.”

The Goon
10-15-2015, 12:44 PM
It's going to be a bit weird on Monday evening with Game 3 and the federal election both happening. MLB really should have respected the election and moved the game.

Going to be a lot of channel flipping that night.

jayswin
10-15-2015, 12:46 PM
The federal government should have respected Game 3 and moved the election.

MoneyGuy
10-15-2015, 12:54 PM
The federal government should have respected Game 3 and moved the election.

...made it a month shorter. This protracted campaign is grueling.

JayP
10-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Very much looking forward to this match-up. These are the two best teams in the AL, easily the most depth across all facets of the game and the two best defensive teams in MLB. I actually liked the Jays match-up against KC better than I did the Astros (KC doesn't possess a true ace pitcher like the Astros do with Keuchel, who could have potentially faced us 3 times).

A 7 game series to determine the best of the AL, and I like our chances.

Probable game 1 lineups (assuming no major changes to the 25 man rosters);

Kansas City

Escobar
Zobrist
Cain
Hosmer
Morales
Moustakas
Perez
Gordon
Rios
Toronto

Revere
Donaldson
Bautista
Encarnacion
Smoak/Colabello
Tulowitzki
Navarro (Estrada likely game 1 starter, otherwise Martin here)
Pillar
Goins
No weak spot in their core 9. no auto out. I think their lineup is deeper than ours, but they lack the same explosiveness 2-4 like we have. Jays have more power, Royals have more speed. I still take the Jays lineup over anyone else, but Royals are very very deep.

Good analysis, but I don't see how the Royals are more deep than the Jays. Each team has two hitters that are step below the rest of the lineup. Pillar = Rios and Escobar = Goins. The difference is our manager isn't an idiot and doesn't bat Goins lead-off.

After that, the Jays are superior at basically every spot down the order. The Royals don't have anyone who's even near the level of JD/Bats/EE unless you still think RBIs matter (which they don't and Morales is a pretty average hitter aside from that stat). The Royals have a pretty good offense, but the Jays are big mismatch. Their offense is actually pretty similar to the Rangers in that it's fairly deep, but there isn't any really scary threats in there.

DiracSpike
10-15-2015, 01:55 PM
All started with the ump issuing a warning after the Royals pitcher Volquez threw near Donaldsons head. Then it happened twice afterwards, once with Volquez, but the ump didn't throw anyone out. Afterwards, Sanchez threw and hit a Royals batter at the legs and got thrown out of the game.

Ned Yost, Royals manager, then went on to tell the media that nothing the Royals did was intentional and that Aaron Sanchez's actions were intentional on a 2-0 count, even though one of the balls was straight down the middle of the plate. Bautista then tweeted he lost respect for Ned Yost.

After the game, the Volquez (who is also starting game one) called Donaldson "a crybaby" and Donaldson replied saying he didn't want Volquez out of the game and that he was "good hitting."

Then out of nowhere Yordano Ventura, who will also be pitching this series, went on a Twitter tirade about Bautista being a nobody, accusing him of stealing signs, and warning Bautista about the next time they meet. That's went Gregg Zaun did his Sunday roast on Ventura.

Also worth mentioning that it was the last game of a 4 game set where Donaldson had roasted KC for a bunch of hits, one of which was a walk off. The Royals felt he was "pimping" his big hits and that's why Volquez through at him his very first at bat.

I don't forsee KC doing anything stupid off the bat but they are a very old school team that had brawls with the White Sox and at least one other team that's escaping me right now this season. Given that and the Jays penchant for pimping their home runs regularly I believe this series will get out of hand by game 4.

As someone who's heart almost gave out yesterday afternoon I don't know how I'll handle this one, it's going to be great baseball with a nasty side.

Party Elephant
10-15-2015, 02:03 PM
Can someone explain to us less hardcore baseball fans why Buehrle isn't on the roster in the playoffs? And are there any other players from the regular season that are no longer on the roster?

kmart
10-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Honestly, the "pimping" is way too overblown. That HR Donaldson hit was huge, it's one of those things that are in the moment. If he's singlehandedly pimping out the pitcher or the Royals' as a collective thats a different story, but when you win you've got to celebrate in ways that are not robotic.

Bautista's again was also in the moment, however old heads will always think that it's being "pimped." I would be surprised if anyone wasn't ready to express themselves emotionally and jogged the base-paths with no expression, especially after that seventh inning. If KC wants to lose their cool after being "pimped" then they are going to walk out of this series as the losers just like the series at the Rogers Center.

I also think the entire unwritten rules of baseball needs a new modern touch to it. There is a declining interest for the game because of these unwritten rules, players are just expected to be robotic in their ways. What Bautista did to finish off that seventh inning was unbelievable, the raw emotion shown through the bat flip was the icing on the cake. You want to draw interest to baseball, people in baseball need to let go of how Dyson, Zaun, or the Kansas City Royals think and start letting the Puigs, Bautistas, and Harper's play with the passion they play with.

edslunch
10-15-2015, 02:17 PM
Can someone explain to us less hardcore baseball fans why Buehrle isn't on the roster in the playoffs? And are there any other players from the regular season that are no longer on the roster?

As a starter he's not used to coming in for relief appearances on short notice with limited warm-up. Plus he suffered severe arm fatigue at the end of the season and really wasn't very effective

kmart
10-15-2015, 02:19 PM

25 man roster only allowed for each series and usually four starters are enough for a team to get through a series. Buehrle has not pitched well to finish the season. He's hardly been a reliever throughout his career and doesn't have the strongest splits against lefties, which if he was a reliever he would be expected to face lefties.

He'd have to be a starter or a long man (pitcher who pitches when the starter struggles early in a game). I assume they like Hendriks more as the long man at the moment.

Roof-Daddy
10-15-2015, 02:46 PM
Yeah, it's kind of crazy that Buerhle and Hutchison, who combined for 28 wins this season (28-13 collectively) aren't on the roster in the post season.

It's too bad really, but part of the game and to be expected when you add Price and Stroman to the rotation, combined with the 2nd half performances of Buerhle and Hutchison when compared to Dickey and Estrada, who were lights out.

bluejays
10-15-2015, 04:56 PM
Buerhle himself said at his last game he wasn't feeling right towards the end of the season. Shame because I really like the guy when things aren't going so well for the starter, but at the same time he really hasn't played well at all leading up to that last game. Hutchison has to go back to relearn pitches to be effective, so he's out. I just hope nobody else gets injured for the rest of the playoffs, because brining in either of those guys would really be a last resort.

browna
10-15-2015, 06:21 PM
Yeah, it's kind of crazy that Buerhle and Hutchison, who combined for 28 wins this season (28-13 collectively) aren't on the roster in the post season.

It's too bad really, but part of the game and to be expected when you add Price and Stroman to the rotation, combined with the 2nd half performances of Buerhle and Hutchison when compared to Dickey and Estrada, who were lights out.

Well, the ALCS roster isn't yet set until tomorrow AM, so it will be interesting to see what, if any, changes Gibby makes.

Sounds as if Loup will be available, but that's not necessarily a good thing.

I think it's ideal for the Jays to get on the road for game 1. Allows them to get out of the crazy city and spotlight and thus little more focused than in Toronto, and less chance of the hangover/letdown home game after the intense game on home turf yesterday. On the otherside, I'd expect of a let down from the Royals trotting back on home turf after last night. So, get a split in KC, or even just take Game 1, and with the 2-3-2 format, KC will be pretty tight for game 2 as almost a must win.

hwy19man
10-15-2015, 08:08 PM

They did once.

The away team seemed to win every series in 5 that year and they switched back.

Too bad,they should have been more patientThe NBA did this format for the finals for 29 years. They switched back to the traditional format last year. Owners and players did not like the idea of a team getting three consecutive home games.

browna
10-15-2015, 08:50 PM
The NBA did this format for the finals for 29 years. They switched back to the traditional format last year. Owners and players did not like the idea of a team getting three consecutive home games.

Hockey did that too, as mentioned already in the thread. I think in the mid 90's IIRC occasionally? Only if there was an Eastern time zone team (may have still been when Leafs were in West, Wings the other team) having to play a West (Pacific time zone) coast team like SJ or LA, to prevent a lot of travel after Game 4. I think the team that had more points had the option.

Sainters7
10-16-2015, 06:22 AM
And we'll never be Royals.
It don't run in our blood,
That kind of luxe just ain't for us.
We crave a different kind of buzz.

Let's go Blue Jays!

Forgot about that song, I always hated it. For some reason the part that always got me the most annoyed was that "...and we'll never be royals! [background singers: Royy-alls!]" part.

Thanks for giving me even more fuel to hate on the Royals over the next few days

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android

EldrickOnIce
10-16-2015, 08:14 AM
Honestly, the "pimping" is way too overblown. That HR Donaldson hit was huge, it's one of those things that are in the moment. If he's singlehandedly pimping out the pitcher or the Royals' as a collective thats a different story, but when you win you've got to celebrate in ways that are not robotic.

Bautista's again was also in the moment, however old heads will always think that it's being "pimped." I would be surprised if anyone wasn't ready to express themselves emotionally and jogged the base-paths with no expression, especially after that seventh inning. If KC wants to lose their cool after being "pimped" then they are going to walk out of this series as the losers just like the series at the Rogers Center.

I also think the entire unwritten rules of baseball needs a new modern touch to it. There is a declining interest for the game because of these unwritten rules, players are just expected to be robotic in their ways. What Bautista did to finish off that seventh inning was unbelievable, the raw emotion shown through the bat flip was the icing on the cake. You want to draw interest to baseball, people in baseball need to let go of how Dyson, Zaun, or the Kansas City Royals think and start letting the Puigs, Bautistas, and Harper's play with the passion they play with.

I really loved the bat flip. Any Jays fans would. Any other MLB fan might not, and I understand that too. It was the 7th inning, not the bottom of the 9th. I heard one guy suggest the hockey equivalent would be an over the top celebration of a goal to take the lead in the 7th game of the first round of the NHL playoffs... with 10 minutes left to go in the game. I don't think anyone, except maybe Oil fans, would be on board with that.
That said, I agree that there is too much of a traditionalist unwritten rule mentality in hardcore baseball fans.

Finger Cookin
10-16-2015, 08:25 AM
Eh, some people in hockey consider the fist bump fly bys at the bench as excessive celebrations after any goal. Some people are just going to be grumpy about things at times.

Long live the bat flip.

V
10-16-2015, 08:44 AM
I really loved the bat flip. Any Jays fans would. Any other MLB fan might not, and I understand that too. It was the 7th inning, not the bottom of the 9th. I heard one guy suggest the hockey equivalent would be an over the top celebration of a goal to take the lead in the 7th game of the first round of the NHL playoffs... with 10 minutes left to go in the game.

If it was the bottom of the 9th there would be the whole weird crazy thing they do at the plate trying to rip the guy's clothes off. Somehow that's okay. I guess I just don't understand the hardcore baseball traditionalists, but I'm the same way with hardcore hockey traditionalists. Let the players show some emotion.

I loved the bat flip. It wouldn't have made sense in many other situations, but that moment was as charged as I've ever seen in sport.

dustyanddaflames
10-16-2015, 09:20 AM
Should be a great series - I remember that Sunday game against KC, once it was done I told my friend, this is the LCS that I want to see. KC has a really good team, not a lot of thunder in the middle of that lineup, but they are great at manufacturing runs. The club they have built suits their home field perfectly, speed added to a large outfield. This series is not going less than 6 games, IMO.

It is going to be a challenge for Blue Jay pitchers keeping that speed at bay. But if there ever was a time to support the Russell Martin signing, it would be for this series alone.

TheAlpineOracle
10-16-2015, 01:07 PM
Walks will be key in this series. Kansas has the best base running team in baseball in my opinion, and if the Jays give them away a free base every inning or so, it's going to be a huge problem. Because of that, Sanchez out of the bullpen really scares me in this series.

Jiggy_12
10-16-2015, 01:34 PM
Game 1 lineup:

1. Revere
2. Donaldson
3. Bautista
4. Encarnacion
5. Colabello
6. Tulowitzki
7. Navarro
8. Pillar
9. Goins

SuperMatt18
10-16-2015, 01:36 PM
No Martin...that seems surprising.

Edit: Nevermind forgot that Estrada was starting tonight and that he pitches better with Navarro.

Roof-Daddy
10-16-2015, 01:37 PM
nm

Scornfire
10-16-2015, 01:40 PM
Here's a pretty good article regarding the Estrada/Navarro battery

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/estrada-navarro-battery-results-too-compelling-to-ignore/

DiracSpike
10-16-2015, 02:40 PM
So the start times came out...I don't have all of them but games 4 and 5 start, again, at 2:07 our time.

I just can't handle this. I understand it for the DS but this is the semifinals and they have games starting in the middle of the goddamn afternoon for half the continent. It's like they're trying to be irrelevant, they just won a boatload of fans for how fun thier post season has been and they're pissing it away. I get that they don't want games overlapping, I get that the New York -Chicago series has prioirity, I get that the US TV networks get basically no money for Jays games. But use your brain schedulers, you don't have to have a four hour cushion before games. Start the Cubs game at 8 Central, 7 mountain, 3 hour cushion before that is 4 mountain. There is no reason for these games to start so early.

I want to watch your product why won't you let me?

Weitz
10-16-2015, 02:47 PM
GAME DATE TIME TV LOCATION
Game 1 Friday, 10/16 7:30 p.m. FOX Kansas City
Game 2 Saturday, 10/17 3:30 p.m. FS1 Kansas City
Game 3 Monday, 10/19 7:00 p.m. FS1 Toronto
Game 4 Tuesday, 10/20 3:00 p.m. FS1 Toronto
Game 5* Wednesday, 10/21 3:00 p.m. FS1 Toronto
Game 6* Friday, 10/23 7:00 p.m. FS1 Kansas City
Game 7* Saturday, 10/24 7:30 p.m. FS1 Kansas City

GirlySports
10-16-2015, 02:56 PM
starting a game at 8 central is too late for the east coast, first pitch isn't til 9:10ish.

Fire of the Phoenix
10-16-2015, 03:01 PM
These start times are more reasonable except during the middle of the week. I can understand a matinee game on the weekend but Tuesday and Wednesday is just stupid. Those will be the two games I have to miss :(

At least I was able to catch all of the glory that was game 5. That was all I was able to catch of the previous series despite wanting to watch the whole thing. And I had to call in sick to do it.

zyzz
10-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Estrada has been lights out for a while now. Guessing he's going to get lit up fast and furious. I predict 8-3 Royals tonight. 6 in the first 3.

Chell_King
10-16-2015, 03:43 PM
So the start times came out...I don't have all of them but games 4 and 5 start, again, at 2:07 our time.

I just can't handle this. I understand it for the DS but this is the semifinals and they have games starting in the middle of the goddamn afternoon for half the continent. It's like they're trying to be irrelevant, they just won a boatload of fans for how fun thier post season has been and they're pissing it away. I get that they don't want games overlapping, I get that the New York -Chicago series has prioirity, I get that the US TV networks get basically no money for Jays games. But use your brain schedulers, you don't have to have a four hour cushion before games. Start the Cubs game at 8 Central, 7 mountain, 3 hour cushion before that is 4 mountain. There is no reason for these games to start so early.

Shut it. Don't know if this comment could be any worse. Like could you. Your what I think of this comment. Your what I think of your speaking. Your you.

Scornfire
10-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Estrada has been lights out for a while now. Guessing he's going to get lit up fast and furious. I predict 8-3 Royals tonight. 6 in the first 3.

Between this and your prediction about Baertschi scoring more than any Flames player this year, you seem like a guy I'd like to make bets with

V
10-16-2015, 04:08 PM

Weren't you the one saying the Jays were imploding in game four when it was 7-1. How does feel to always be expecting impending doom? It must be crazy exhausting.

Antithesis
10-16-2015, 04:30 PM

I'm sorry but this makes no sense. He's been doing terrifically well all year, so that must mean he's going to be bad tonight?

I remain optimistic. Jays are going to smack around the Royals and expose them for the idiots they all are. They're the Canucks of MLB! Give 'em the business!

Fire of the Phoenix
10-16-2015, 04:51 PM
zyzz sounds like a guy who would be convinced that the next coin flip is going to be heads because the last 5 flips were tails.

V
10-16-2015, 05:31 PM
GAME DATE TIME TV LOCATION
Game 1 Friday, 10/16 7:30 p.m. FOX Kansas City

I was pretty stoked to catch the game at 5:30. Turns out it's at 6:07. What the heck, man??

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 05:48 PM

Did you read the insane Game 4 and Game 5 viewership ratings here in Canada? Also, we were plastered all over the ESPN website/Sportscenter after Game 5. Irrelevant? We are the Chicago Cubs of the AL. Everyone, yes even Yankees fans, wants us to take out those punkass Royals.

RougeUnderoos
10-16-2015, 05:57 PM
Sweet anthem, including the introduction: "the only non athlete on the Michael Jordan brand".

Really cool that he was wearing sweats while doing the national anthem. Sharp! Maybe Shania Twain will do the anthem for game 3 in cutoffs.

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Smallball lovers will love this series. I gurantee ya'll that.

DropIt
10-16-2015, 06:10 PM
That was a beautiful punch out pitch on Revere

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 06:13 PM
That outfield is so HUGE! Donaldson tagged him and it was an out.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 06:18 PM
At least they are burning the pitcher, 24 pitches already

JiriHrdina
Showing good patience at the plate - pitch count nearing 25

Street Pharmacist
Keep that up they'll be in the bullpen by the 4th inning

DropIt
10-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Well that's not a great start

zyzz
10-16-2015, 06:24 PM
MOD EDIT: Knock it off.

SportsJunky
10-16-2015, 06:24 PM
Second game in a row I'm missing due to travel. Go Jays!

DropIt
10-16-2015, 06:31 PM

Aww. What'd it say

V
10-16-2015, 06:31 PM

Haha, you must be so miserable.

Mathgod
10-16-2015, 06:34 PM
Come on Tulo, get on base for once.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 06:34 PM
That was great ball by Estrada to get out of that.

Not sure I agree with having Colabello vs Righties in this series.

V
10-16-2015, 06:37 PM
Aww. What'd it say

He was gloating for being right about the Royals torching Estrada early. After one pitch.

Mathgod
Tulo http://i.imgur.com/FA2CI9v.gif

whosurnabby
That was great ball by Estrada to get out of that.

Not sure I agree with having Colabello vs Righties in this series.
With Cola, at least you have a great eye that doesn't swing on offspeed stuff outside the zone. Smoak's approach is an automatic out. I love the glove, but jeez, have some patience.

V
They're making this Volquez guy look better than he is.

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 06:41 PM
They're making this Volquez guy look better than he is.
as long as Estrada keeps on pitching like his Marco ACEstrada self, we are going to be in this. His changeup is filthy. My goodness. Same arm slot, same delivery, same spin...the difference? 12-14mph on the radar gun. His fastball-changeup game is elite.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 06:42 PM
Those were some bad cuts by the Royals in those ABs

DropIt
10-16-2015, 06:42 PM
Dat change tho

V
10-16-2015, 06:44 PM
Yeah, just a solid inning for Estrada. He's dealing today.

DropIt
10-16-2015, 06:44 PM
Not so nice when you can't hit HRS either, KC fans

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 06:50 PM
Sal Perez looks like a good pitch framer...it ain't working tho'

Great ump at the homeplate tonight. Pillar has been seeing the ball well all October. Dis gonna be good.

DropIt
10-16-2015, 06:50 PM
Good AB from Pillar, followed by a nice bunt. Hope the top of the order can knock him in

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 06:54 PM
Good patience by JD

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 06:55 PM
Too bad. 45 pitches through 3

Mathgod
10-16-2015, 06:56 PM
Jays bats are AWOL so far.

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 06:56 PM
At some point, boys has got to get thru Volquez...you don't want this to end up being a bullpen vs bullpen type of ballgame. Entertaining game so far. Incredible D and pitching from both teams and starters.

JiriHrdina
10-16-2015, 06:57 PM
Bats are quiet, but the approach is sound. Not like in the early part of the last series.

Antithesis
10-16-2015, 07:02 PM
Oh God, does that double mean Estrada sucks again?

Antithesis
10-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Love seeing Alex Rios fail. :)

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 07:04 PM
Oh God, does that double mean Estrada sucks again?
Absolutely. Not because this is KC's home field and they know the spots where to put the ball in play (ie: those damn huge corners in the outfield)

Antithesis
10-16-2015, 07:05 PM
Oh no, now he's allowed a run!!

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 07:07 PM
Come on now Cola...you don't want armchair managers to switch their preference because Smoaky can play D. Gotta keep that ball in check.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 07:07 PM
2-0

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 07:08 PM
jays need to get their stuff together here. Hopefully with them trailing they will snap out of it.

JiriHrdina
10-16-2015, 07:09 PM
jays need to get their stuff together here. Hopefully with them trailing they will snap out of it.

All due respect but this is baseball. I have no issue with their approach at the plate. They've hit some balls hard - just haven't found holes.
It's the 3rd. Plenty of time.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 07:11 PM
All due respect but this is baseball. I have no issue with their approach at the plate. They've hit some balls hard - just haven't found holes.
It's the 3rd. Plenty of time.

I know, just don't like seeing them stranding guys at 2nd with less than 2 outs like last inning.

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 07:13 PM
Got this to say though...KC's a damn dangerous team once they get to that 1st bag. Like I previously mentioned...you like smallball? KC's the team to follow.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 07:19 PM
ugly inning thus far for the bats.

JiriHrdina
10-16-2015, 07:20 PM
Come on now Tulo

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 07:21 PM
Not a fan of the strikezone, balls that are outside away are getting called.

some adjustments where they might look to shoot one the other way might become necessary.

Mathgod
10-16-2015, 07:22 PM
I dare say if the Jays fall behind 0-2 in the series again I don't think they're coming back this time.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 07:23 PM
I dare say if the Jays fall behind 0-2 in the series again I don't think they're coming back this time.

Even though they lost the two games, I thought they beat themselves more than Texas beating them. Too amped, looking to be the hero.

Roof-Daddy
10-16-2015, 07:23 PM
Ugh. Is that Volquez, or is that Pedro Martinez in his prime?

What the frig? Pitching the game of his life.

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Is it time to drop Tulo to 7th again? He's struggling, big time, right now with the bat.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 07:29 PM
At this rate, Cliff Pennington may be the better option (joking).

Tulo might be better off in the 9 hole.

3-0

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 07:29 PM
Sal Perez is on fire lately. 3-0 now.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Still 5 innings for the Jays to figure something out. Got to figure it's just a matter of time.

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 07:31 PM
Still 5 innings for the Jays to figure something out. Got to figure it's just a matter of time.
Not to be a debbie downer, but the thing with KC is, the faster you figure it out the better...I say this because their bullpen is truly elite. Game is practically over once the bullpen shows up. As a Jays fan though, I hope you're right. :(

dieHARDflameZ
10-16-2015, 07:35 PM
It's game 1 and Volquez is dealing so far. This team is a resilient group. It's still very early in the series.

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 07:38 PM
GoGo gets a hit! Finally!

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 07:38 PM
If Goins fails to reach, the top of the order will be up in the 6th.

Edit: nice hit.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 07:40 PM
Revere hit a ball hard, but right at the guy.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 07:40 PM
If the Jays can't get to Voloquez in the next inning with the heart of the order up, they probably won't...

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 07:42 PM
I'm assuming top of the 6th is Volquez' final inning...Yost is definitely gonna' go to the BP after that.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 07:44 PM
That's the one thing that is frustrating. Good pitching will beat good hitting and Voloquez is dominating.

Glad that was foul.

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 07:48 PM
That's the one thing that is frustrating. Good pitching will beat good hitting and Voloquez is dominating.

Glad that was foul.
Absolutely...that's why the idea of momentum in baseball is an absurd thing. Maybe except for that 7th inning...that was the exception, I think.

Roof-Daddy
10-16-2015, 07:55 PM
Volquez is eating Bautista up with that outside stuff.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 07:58 PM
Good on Jose for battling here.

Roof-Daddy
10-16-2015, 07:58 PM
Couple really good at bats right here. Hopefulyl Jose can make something of it. Bullpen stirring for KC

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 07:59 PM
full count

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 08:00 PM
walk.

Now would be a good time EE to walk the Parrot.

Roof-Daddy
10-16-2015, 08:01 PM
What an at bat. Draws a walk.

1st and 2nd, o out, EE up.

Have to cash some runs here, or it's probably lights out.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 08:04 PM
And the outside the zone pitch comes to bite EE.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 08:06 PM
Come on Cola, a single would help.

Anything, got to cash someone.

JiriHrdina
10-16-2015, 08:07 PM
Yeah don't need to try and get it all back, just put a good swing on the ball.

JiriHrdina
10-16-2015, 08:11 PM
Shoot pretty good hack.

Caged Great
Great, now Tulo's up with 2 outs.

zero chance here....

Roof-Daddy
Dammit. They keep hitting these hard liners right at guys. Too bad. That one hits the gap and two runs score.

Caged Great
Disappointing because that was a great hack by Cola there

JiriHrdina
10-16-2015, 08:12 PM
Tulo's gonna do something here.

DropIt
10-16-2015, 08:14 PM
That was on a tee

Roof-Daddy
10-16-2015, 08:15 PM
Geez Tulo. That 3-1 pitch should have been cranked.

nik-
10-16-2015, 08:15 PM
Tulo's gonna do something here.

That'd be a welcome change

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 08:16 PM
WTF tulo

DropIt
10-16-2015, 08:16 PM
Tulowiski continues to be a black hole on offense from the 6 hole. He should be bumped down the order further. Best SS in baseball, my ass

nik-
10-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Jesus ####ing christ, don't leave your bat on your shoulder after an at bat like that.

God dammit that pisses me off

dieHARDflameZ
Yaaaa... Belt high fastball middle of the zone... Need to swing at those Tulo.

SuperMatt18
Those last two strikes looked very hittable, not sure what Tulo is looking for there

edslunch
Tulo takes so many third strikes

V
Well, that's basically that. Ouch.

jar_e
10-16-2015, 08:18 PM
When does Tulo get sent down in the batting order? His average is under 0.1 and we're six games in. Time to send him down.

Fire of the Phoenix
Is Tulo ever going to start hitting?

dieHARDflameZ
Tulowiski continues to be a black hole on offense from the 6 hole. He should be bumped down the order further. Best SS in baseball, my ass

Black hole other than some massive HR he hit in the Texas series...

Roof-Daddy
Guy went up there hoping for a walk. Swung at one pitch, and left with a backwards K.

Terrible.

This team would have a much better chance at a world series if the real Tulo would show up.

The Big Chill
Geez, swing the bat Tulo. Two fastballs down the middle to strike him out.

Mightyfire89
10-16-2015, 08:20 PM
****** Tulo. SWING THE BAT!

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 08:20 PM
The jays need to get Martin in to pinch hit and hope that he can start something in the next inning. Martin then Pillar and Goins might just get something to work. Navarro hasn't had any good contact at all. The one good thing is that the Jays have been able to get to their pen. They also will get another opportunity to have the best guys back up again. Frustrating though 1st and 2nd nobody out and nothing.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 08:21 PM
Honestly, I'd consider pinch hitting for Tulo if he comes up again and have Smoak take a cut or two. Worst thing is that he'll K swinging instead of having the bat on the shoulder. Might light a fire under his butt.

DropIt
10-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Black hole other than some massive HR he hit in the Texas series...

Yeah, the silver lining in his 1 hit in the postseason. May as well have John Macdonald bsck playing SS for all that Tulowiski brings

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Man, this stadium is like the opposite of Yankee stadium. I hate those huge corners on the outfield.

Ok guys...clean up the D..Jesus.

Roof-Daddy
10-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Stupid error, and then a weak friggin hit and it's 1st and 3rd with one out.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 08:27 PM
If they get any more, they're done.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 08:29 PM
Huge double play.

Roof-Daddy
10-16-2015, 08:29 PM
Wow. What a play

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Loupy!!!! Nice DP..thank god for Aaron Loup (and i'm not being sarcastic..he's been good since he got back in september.)

Roof-Daddy
10-16-2015, 08:31 PM
So with Estrada out, you should probably have Martin hit here IMO.

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 08:32 PM
So with Estrada out, you should probably have Martin hit here IMO.
I really want to see that.

edit* whoa..Tulo barehanded the flip?! Awesome play!

OMG, this Kansas City bullpen is INSANE.

Roof-Daddy
10-16-2015, 08:36 PM
Herrera is friggin dealing.

Going to take a miracle to come back in this one.

flames_fan_down_under
10-16-2015, 08:36 PM
That Tulo AB was so strange. Fights off some pitches, doesn't swing on the low and away stuff and then just stands there on fastballs right over the plate. Anyways Tulo needs to figure it out.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 08:37 PM
At least they'll be back at it in the morning tomorrow.

flames_fan_down_under
10-16-2015, 08:38 PM
Herrera is friggin dealing.

Going to take a miracle to come back in this one.

I just get the feeling there won't be a miracle this game. KC Bullpen is so strong and our hitters are guessing today.

whosurnabby
10-16-2015, 08:39 PM
I just get the feeling there won't be a miracle this game. KC Bullpen is so strong and our hitters are guessing today.
Same here and I'm not usually a negative fan. KC's bullpen, hands-down, is the best in all of baseball. Once they come in, they usually wrap things up 9 times out of 10.

Fire of the Phoenix
10-16-2015, 08:45 PM
They missed their chance earlier when volquez was wearing down. They had him on the ropes and then they put their bats away.

Can't go down by 3 late against this bullpen.

Mathgod
10-16-2015, 08:49 PM
Just 2 hits? Oh man...

Mathgod
10-16-2015, 08:57 PM
Tying run to the plate...

I want me some invisible parrot.

flames_fan_down_under
10-16-2015, 08:57 PM
Just 2 hits? Oh man...

Volquez was dealing and got some favourable calls in my opinion. His fastball had a lot of action over the plate.

Roof-Daddy
10-16-2015, 08:58 PM
F sakes.

EE out. Probably a hand injury.

Smoak hitting for him.

whosurnabby
is Edwing injured? watching the game without sound because I'm at work and I missed the Edwin at bat...please inform.

Roof-Daddy
is Edwing injured? watching the game without sound because I'm at work...please inform.

He was favoring his hand quite a bit during and after his last at bat.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 08:59 PM
Great. Hopefully EE is back tomorrow otherwise that'll be fun.

Fire of the Phoenix
10-16-2015, 09:00 PM
Uh oh, losing EE for any length of time would be devastating. Tulo is really going to need to get his crap together if EE is out.

flames_fan_down_under
10-16-2015, 09:00 PM
is Edwing injured? watching the game without sound because I'm at work and I missed the Edwin at bat...please inform.

He's getting a precautionary x-ray right now.

Mathgod
10-16-2015, 09:01 PM
ffffff

Royals lead series 1-0

Roof-Daddy
10-16-2015, 09:01 PM
Ugh. Another blown opportunity.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 09:02 PM
And once again with runners at 1st/2nd less than 2 outs, the Jays choke again.

Stupid.

Oh well, maybe they might be able to get a hit or two strung together tomorrow.

PostandIn
10-16-2015, 09:07 PM
Man, KC with lots of bat luck tonight. Jays with none. Listening to Buck and crew TO has no chance in this series.

flames_fan_down_under
10-16-2015, 09:08 PM
And once again with runners at 1st/2nd less than 2 outs, the Jays choke again.

Stupid.

Oh well, maybe they might be able to get a hit or two strung together tomorrow.

Ya I have given up being frustrated this game. It's just not happening for the Jays tonight.

Roof-Daddy
10-16-2015, 09:11 PM
lol @ Revere's arm.

Roof-Daddy
10-16-2015, 09:15 PM
Listening to Buck and crew TO has no chance in this series.

Well, if the Royals get starting pitching like that all series they are going to be tough to beat.

PostandIn
10-16-2015, 09:20 PM
So, this is the worst offensive performance by the Jays in 3 months? (Not a huge BB fan).

Roof-Daddy
10-16-2015, 09:22 PM
Why was Navarro running the bases?

I know we're down 5-0 in the 9th, but jesus Gibbons.

Roof-Daddy
10-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Well that sucked.

Just put it behind them and hopefully have a better outing tomorrow.

PostandIn
10-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Well, a dismal night of sports all around.

flames_fan_down_under
10-16-2015, 09:33 PM
Why was Navarro running the bases?

I know we're down 5-0 in the 9th, but jesus Gibbons.

Ya that was a dunce move.

You have Martin on the bench, pinch run Pompey there and then play Martin as catcher. Could have negated the out at 2nd and could have been 2 on with 1 out. What a knucklehead.

Zach
10-16-2015, 09:34 PM
Can't play any worse than that

JayP
10-16-2015, 09:57 PM
Nothing to worry about after that game. That's the only way the Royals can win.

Volquez was good, but got every call high and outside. That's terrible umping and its hard to recover from those calls. That's a strikeout pitch for a reason - it's unhittable. When a guy is nibbling and is gifted that call it's game over.

Either way, the Royals didn't hit any better - they just had their hard hits land and the Jays didn't. That's baseball. The Jays drew their walks and had baserunners and it didn't go their way. Oh well. Tomorrow, they do the same and gash the Royals big time.

If Price is on, the Jays get their split and all is right with world. No worries at all. It's a 7 game series - you can survive games like this no question.

JayP
10-16-2015, 09:58 PM
So, this is the worst offensive performance by the Jays in 3 months? (Not a huge BB fan).

No, it's clearly not. Hits aren't the only thing that matters.

Caged Great
10-16-2015, 11:20 PM
The Jays need regular season David Price to show up tomorrow otherwise this will be a short series.

kmart
10-17-2015, 12:39 AM
The Jays need regular season David Price to show up tomorrow otherwise this will be a short series.

A bit premature to call it a short series, especially after what happened last series.

Caged Great
10-17-2015, 01:56 AM
A bit premature to call it a short series, especially after what happened last series.

Kansas isn't mediocre as the Rangers were. Far better team in every aspect.

CgyFlamesftw
10-17-2015, 06:54 AM
Like donaldson said volquez is good hitting. Volquez just had his best game of his entire career. He won't replicate that again this series and Royals will be tough to get another complete outing with their starting pitcher again.

transplant99
10-17-2015, 08:43 AM
In the playoffs.

Tulowitzki hitting .080 and obp .148

Goins hitting .050 and obp .095

Completely unacceptable for 2 everyday guys and one who is supposed to be the best in the business at his position.

likely the difference in going further in the post season or not if they don't pick it up.

Caged Great
10-17-2015, 08:46 AM
I'd like those two hitting 8-9 from now on. Terrible. Tulo has the shoulder excuse though at least.

Fire of the Phoenix
10-17-2015, 09:14 AM
I'd like those two hitting 8-9 from now on. Terrible. Tulo has the shoulder excuse though at least.

I don't know if his shoulder can be blamed. He doesn't look like he's in pain out there, he looks like his swing is broken and his timing his off. Also I don't think his shoulder is preventing his him from swinging at hittable fastballs out over the plate.

He's pretty much been like this since he got to Toronto, outside the first week. Now that the competition is better, he's scuffling even more.

MillerTime GFG
10-17-2015, 09:27 AM
Ya, Tulo was hitting at a really poor pace in TO before the shoulder injury too. Just think if we could add a couple hits here and there from him and Goins, and more to where their average should be, this team will be even more of a threat.

After all, we're only 6 games into the post-season. Players go on slumps longer and worse than this all the time in the regular season. I'm not too concerned.

Frequitude
10-17-2015, 09:31 AM
Hard to believe Tulo had the second longest hit streak of the season this year.

browna
10-17-2015, 09:39 AM
With Tulo, I am sure there is some physical discomfort and restriction, but probably a bit mental effect too. Every time he's been asked he's told the press he's said he's not 100%. While refreshing, sometimes a cliche is not a bad idea, for his own mindset. Hes subconsciously given himself an out or an excuse, if even the smallest of excuses. Hope he snaps out of it, as I don't think EE will play today, or be anywhere near 100% if he does.

Jays really have no choice with the middle infield,especially the way they play defense. Can maybe replace Goins with Pennington for the bat, but Gibby woulf be roasted for taking out Tulo. Goins to short and Pennington doesn't really sound much better, offense and defense wise.

Last night they were ok,just didn't come through in clutch when they got guys on base. Cold night too etc. Estrada said he couldn't get a good grip on his fastball and thus not control it the way he wanted.

Price having a solid game is key for the morale for the team the rest of the series. Even if the Jays score 6 before he throws a pitch, and the offense crusies today to an easy win, him having a dominant outing, unlike his last two outings, will be key to the team feeling confident in him for a potential later series start.

That said,with this offense, some of that worry is out the window, but if EE is out for a few games, teams can pitch around Bautista.

And, as the cliche goes, a team is only in trouble in a series once they lose at home.

JiriHrdina
10-17-2015, 12:43 PM
EE is in

transplant99
10-17-2015, 02:13 PM
ventura has it going early....Price you're up!

JiriHrdina
10-17-2015, 02:24 PM
Good inning for Price. Now get on the bats.

zyzz
10-17-2015, 02:27 PM
Now this the time for Price to pitch a gem. Need to get this thing to 1-1.

JiriHrdina
10-17-2015, 02:27 PM
Two on. 0 out. Need to cash in here.

jayswin
10-17-2015, 02:28 PM
Two on right away. Excellent start to this inning.

jayswin
10-17-2015, 02:28 PM
Tulo, please do more than nothing here. We really need you here.

TheAlpineOracle
10-17-2015, 02:29 PM
Tulo is absolutely useless out there.

jayswin
Yeah, I'm all for punting Tulo down the order, at this point. I get it, he's a good hitter and stats eventually even out, but we don't have time for that. He's an auto out right now.

Roof-Daddy
1st and 2nd, 0 out, coldest hitter at the plate.....and you aren't sacrificing?

Unreal.

Roof-Daddy
10-17-2015, 02:32 PM
Oh **** off.

JiriHrdina
Ugh just no luck right now. Great swing.

DropIt
yeah, Tulo should have been bunting there. He should be down to 8th or 9th at this point, give him as little chance with runners in scoring position as possible

Rubicant
Just keep making good contact and eventually luck should turn.

The Big Chill
10-17-2015, 02:33 PM
Can't catch a break right now.

Fire of the Phoenix
I'm beginning to harbour a strong dislike for Escobar.

V
Un-friggen-believable.

GirlySports
10-17-2015, 02:37 PM
Price lookin good :)

jayswin
10-17-2015, 02:37 PM
Just keep making good contact and eventually luck should turn.

Yeah, but it's not that simple against the Royals, you gotta cash in early in games, because if you're trying to go ahead or comeback in the bullpen innings you're likely already beat.

TheAlpineOracle
10-17-2015, 02:38 PM
At least we know the Jays are going to hit Ventura today.

JiriHrdina
10-17-2015, 02:40 PM
Good inning.

Rubicant
Yeah, but it's not that simple against the Royals, you gotta cash in early in games, because if you're trying to go ahead or comeback in the bullpen innings you're likely already beat.

Obviously but not more they can do. I agree with people saying Tulo should be bunting in that scenario and moved down in the order though.

jayswin
Great showing from Price so far. Bats looking aggressive and smart so far as well. We'll have to cash something in the next two innings though, imo.

DropIt
10-17-2015, 02:43 PM
and pillar continues his hot streak in the 8 spot

TheAlpineOracle
10-17-2015, 02:44 PM
Jays gotta get these base runners home before they take Ventura out.

GirlySports
Love the scoreless inning trivia question ;)

JiriHrdina
Boy I was pissed off to see Goins not butting. Happy to be wrong.

DropIt
Goins! great job from the 8 and 9 spots. Now start it off with Revere and through the heart we have a chance to open this up

Roof-Daddy
10-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Nice. Whoop!

Roof-Daddy
Time for the top of the order to inflict some pain.

V
Goins is figuring things out.

JiriHrdina
10-17-2015, 02:46 PM
"Go ahead and clean up the mess in Aisle 6".
That's a great line.

GirlySports
10-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Too greedy trying to bunt single. Just sacrifice.

transplant99
10-17-2015, 02:47 PM
What a pitch....yeesh.

TheAlpineOracle
10-17-2015, 02:49 PM
This ump is giving a half foot outside on his strike zone

Fire of the Phoenix
10-17-2015, 02:50 PM
Ump's strike zone is pretty inconsistent so far.

Roof-Daddy
10-17-2015, 02:50 PM
Time for the top of the order to inflict some pain.

....or they can have a backwards K, a weak ground ball and a weak pop fly.

DropIt
10-17-2015, 02:51 PM
what a missed opportunity