PDA

View Full Version : CC Sabathia checks into rehab, will miss playoffs

habernac
10-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Woah!

http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/846815

trumpethead
10-05-2015, 12:32 PM
While I would agree that there is never a 'good' or 'bad' time for someone to seek help with an addiction problem. The timing of this announcement is really strange.

With or without Sabathia the Yankees have the weakest starting pitching in the playoffs, but you have to think that CC would have been on the playoff roster. I gotta think the Royals would love to see the Yankees win the WC game.

trumpethead
10-05-2015, 12:36 PM
Good on C.C. to seek help.

bluejays
10-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Good to get help, but I really don't get the timing of this at all. While anyone wishes the best for a guy who has problems, if I were in the business of baseball and you need the guy, I'd question why the hell did this guy not make the leap a month earlier? There's a responsibility to take care of yourself, and at the same time when you make that much money there's a responsibility to help your team as well. Without sounding like a dick, I wouldn't be happy at the timing if I was part of ownership.

Dion
10-05-2015, 05:12 PM
Good to get help, but I really don't get the timing of this at all. While anyone wishes the best for a guy who has problems, if I were in the business of baseball and you need the guy, I'd question why the hell did this guy not make the leap a month earlier? There's a responsibility to take care of yourself, and at the same time when you make that much money there's a responsibility to help your team as well. Without sounding like a dick, I wouldn't be happy at the timing if I was part of ownership.

I don't think it's that simple. I have yet to read anything that says there's a timetable for when people suffering from addictions reach out for help. It varys from person to person. The article says he feels bad about the timing and probably wishes he had recognised he had a problem much sooner.

jayswin
10-06-2015, 12:16 AM

Anyone who's struggled with any kind of addiction will tell you there's absolutely no control over when you reach that point. You just reach it and then you either immediately drop out of everything and seek help or you go a much worse root.

He should be applauded for hitting that point and making the right choice, timing be damned. If anything I'd assume he was probably trying to prolong getting to this point for the exact reason you state; to try and finish the season and get help after, and then addiction did what it always does, hit him the face one day and he couldn't go on without doing something drastic, and like I stated, thankfully that drastic reaction was to put life on hold and get help.

Strange Brew
10-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Not to make light of the situation in any way but..

I had to chuckle at the story on espn.com last night, titled "CC showed subtle signs before entering rehab"

And then within the article, one of the "subtle signs" was him walking around the clubhouse obviously drunk, with an alcoholic drink in his hand, encouraging other players to take a sip. That didn't seem so subtle.