PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Flames Oct 5th - 6th Practices

hockey.modern
10-05-2015, 02:15 AM
If I'm not mistaken these practices will be running from 10am-1pm at the Saddledome for the two days before the season opener. (Free Admission) if anyone has the time it's an opportunity to see what that final lineups may be and what changes are to happen. I will try to update from the Flames media etc, if anything stands out.

Erick Estrada
10-05-2015, 07:16 AM
I hope Hartley gets his lines finalized as soon as possible as the team kind of looked out of sorts in the preseason as it's important not to come out of the gates slow as if you are out of the playoffs in November/December chances are you aren't going to make it.

sureLoss
10-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Wes Gilbertson @SUNGilbertson
#Flames RW Jiri Hudler missing from practice this morning. Missed third period Saturday, but coach Bob Hartley called it "very minor.

Raymond and Byron missing from practice as well after being put on waivers.

sureLoss
10-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
Smid skating in Hudler's place on the top line this morning. Don't get used to that. #Flames

Aaron Vickers @AAVickers
#Flames lines this AM:
Bouma-Baclund-Frolik;
Gaudreau-Monahan-SMID;
Bollig-Stajan-Jones;
Ferland-Bennett-Jooris
Smid holding Hudler's spot.

sureLoss
10-05-2015, 10:57 AM
#Flames D unchanged too:
Giordano-Hamilton;
Russell-Wideman;
Engelland-Kulak. Things starting to become pretty clear for opening night.

CroFlames
10-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Smid skating in Hudler's place on the top line this morning. Don't get used to that. #Flames

Aaron Vickers @AAVickers
#Flames lines this AM:
Bouma-Baclund-Frolik;
Gaudreau-Monahan-SMID;
Bollig-Stajan-Jones;
Ferland-Bennett-Jooris
Smid holding Hudler's spot.

LOL. Smiddy on the top line is awesome. I wish there was one more preseason game just to watch that actually happen :)

CroFlames
10-05-2015, 11:27 AM
I hope Hartley gets his lines finalized as soon as possible as the team kind of looked out of sorts in the preseason as it's important not to come out of the gates slow as if you are out of the playoffs in November/December chances are you aren't going to make it.

Doomsday much? Sheesh.

sureLoss
10-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Ramo has won the #1 goaltender spot... for now.

Ramo gets the start on Wednesday. #Flames

Erick Estrada
10-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Doomsday much? Sheesh.

Overreact much? Where did I say they were destined to miss the playoffs? The Flames got off to a good start last season and that kind of set the table for a playoff appearance. IMO the Flames will be in the same sort of tight race they were last season for a playoff spot and it's important that they don't start overly slow.

sureLoss
10-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Randy Sportak @SUNRandySportak
#Flames coach Hartley said Hudler wasn't on ice today because he's sick.

Muta
10-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Good for Kulak. Really, the only surprise at camp. I'm excited to see how he handles this step up in competition.

dammage79
10-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Derek Wills ‏@Fan960Wills 53s53 seconds ago
Karri Ramo and Jonas Hiller will be two goaltenders dressed for #Flames in season-opener vs. #Canucks on Wednesday.

Randy Sportak ‏@SUNRandySportak 1m1 minute ago
Hartley also says Ortio is No. 3 on the depth chart. #Flames

What? How in the hell is Ortio #3 on the depth chart? Love Hartley but their eye on goaltending is drunk.

GioforPM
10-05-2015, 11:39 AM
Derek Wills ‏@Fan960Wills 53s53 seconds ago
Karri Ramo and Jonas Hiller will be two goaltenders dressed for #Flames in season-opener vs. #Canucks on Wednesday.

Randy Sportak ‏@SUNRandySportak 1m1 minute ago
Hartley also says Ortio is No. 3 on the depth chart. #Flames

What? How in the hell is Ortio #3 on the depth chart? Love Hartley but their eye on goaltending is drunk.

Both Ramo and Hiller played as well as Ortio in preseason games IMO.

Erick Estrada
10-05-2015, 11:39 AM
Ramo has won the #1 goaltender spot... for now.

Ramo gets the start on Wednesday. #Flames

Not sure if this is good or bad for Ramo. Last year the Flames were terrible in their opener against the Canucks and haven't won an opening game since 2009 (against the Canucks coincidentally). If he loses does the next man up start game two?

Fire
10-05-2015, 12:09 PM

I agree, it would be disrespectful not having Hiller back up Ramo, but I do hope the Flames don't drag the 3 goalie thing out too long.

442scotty
10-05-2015, 01:03 PM

Yep... Ortio didn't exactly play lights out in preseason which you would want to see if you are going to move him up the ladder

Bandwagon In Flames
10-05-2015, 01:09 PM
Yep... Ortio didn't exactly play lights out in preseason which you would want to see if you are going to move him up the ladder

He posted a shutout against Colorado's A-team while having an AHL squad in front of him. I don't believe Hartley was coaching in that game either.

Toonage
10-05-2015, 01:13 PM
Ortio at #3 isn't a condemnation. He played well during the pre-season and got the longest look. Hiller (and Ramo) will be given a few games to either play their way off the team and into the AHL or as a way of showcasing them to teams that may require goaltending a week or two into the season.

saillias
10-05-2015, 01:15 PM
I would've gone with Hiller. He had a lights out preseason and came out of the gate really strong last year too. Ramo looks like same old Ramo.

heep223
10-05-2015, 01:18 PM
I would've gone with Hiller. He had a lights out preseason and came out of the gate really strong last year too. Ramo looks like same old Ramo.

I forgot about Hiller's performance to start last season. I remember he absolutely stole that game vs. Chicago at the dome. I think they had like 53 shots or something and the Flames won 2-1. Honestly I think those first 10 games of excellent goaltending were a huge factor in giving the team the confidence they needed to realize they could actually be a playoff team.

The Yen Man
10-05-2015, 01:35 PM
I forgot about Hiller's performance to start last season. I remember he absolutely stole that game vs. Chicago at the dome. I think they had like 53 shots or something and the Flames won 2-1. Honestly I think those first 10 games of excellent goaltending were a huge factor in giving the team the confidence they needed to realize they could actually be a playoff team.

You mean he cost us McJesus? Thanks Hiller.

Locke
10-05-2015, 01:37 PM

I think Ortio is a lot like Kipper, you've got to give him a run of games.

hockey.modern
10-05-2015, 11:31 PM
Oct 5 Updates:

- Byron, Raymond on Waivers
- Granlund sent to Stockton

I think these will be the opening roster for Wednesday

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Jooris
Bollig-Stajan-Jones

Giordano-Hamilton
Russell-Wideman
Kulak-Engelland

Ramo
Hiller

IR: Colborne, Brodie, Smid
Press Box: Ortio

SeanCharles
10-05-2015, 11:51 PM
Oct 5 Updates:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Jooris
Bollig-Stajan-Jones

Giordano-Hamilton
Russell-Wideman
Kulak-Engelland

Ramo
Hiller

Press Box: Ortio, Byron, Raymond

I can't see them not having any skaters for insurance. Both guys will stay up if they clear.

Calgary4LIfe
10-06-2015, 01:15 AM
I prefer Ramo over Hiller myself, but I prefer Hiller start. Ramo seemed like such a good road goalie, and Hiller seemed like the better home goalie. I would keep playing it that way as often as possible while they're both on the team.

crapshoot
10-06-2015, 05:28 AM
Oct 5 Updates:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Jooris
Bollig-Stajan-Jones

Giordano-Hamilton
Russell-Wideman
Kulak-Engelland

Ramo
Hiller

Press Box: Ortio

Those seems like four pretty well balanced lines, and it's great to have four lines who are capable of playing decent hockey. Hopefully that third line can gel right away too, really looks like it could be a good line given a bit of sheltering.

If everything stays intact for a while, I would love to see Bollig bumped to the press box, Bouma on the Stajan line and Colborne on the Backlund line. Of course it likely wont stay intact for very long

sureLoss
10-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Kristen Odland
@KristenOdlandCH
Hudler back on the ice w/#Flames after missing Monday's skate because he was sick.

Raymond also on the ice after clearing waivers

sureLoss
10-06-2015, 10:57 AM
so no changes expected:

#Flames lines unchanged:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler;
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik;
Ferland-Bennett-Jooris;
Bollig-Stajan-Jones

Randy Sportak @SUNRandySportak
#Flames D
Giordano-Hamilton
Russell-Wideman
Kulak-Engelland

G
Ramo
Hiller

heep223
10-06-2015, 11:03 AM
That is a good balanced attack.

IliketoPuck
10-06-2015, 11:04 AM
Our fourth line is awesome.

Yes it is a highly paid fourth line, but you have to think over the course of a season that they will dominate opposing team's fourth lines.

I think our attack is very balanced this year. The #1 line will be deadly on the powerplay, and our other three lines will provide some solid secondary scoring. Subbing in Colborne for Bollig when he is healthy will make the fourth line that much more dangerous.

Then when Brodie comes back, put him with Kulak and roll 3 pairings that can skate, pass, defend.

I'm starting to get way too excited, and I don't care that I'm rambling. Is it Wednesday yet? GO Flames!

sureLoss
10-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Derek Wills @Fan960Wills
Look for Bennett to play with Backlund and Ferland on second-unit PP.

sureLoss
10-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Jermain Franklin @TSNJFranklin
#Flames practicing 3-on-3. It's such a fluid game anything can happen with the long change. Even saw a regroup w a pass back to the goalie

heep223
10-06-2015, 11:50 AM
Derek Wills @Fan960Wills
Look for Bennett to play with Backlund and Ferland on second-unit PP.

Interesting, I would have thought Frolik would be one the 2nd unit

Fire
10-06-2015, 11:59 AM

Yeah I would replace Backlund with Frolik and have Bennett play center.

Street Pharmacist
10-06-2015, 12:03 PM
#FreeKulak

polak
10-06-2015, 12:08 PM
God. Is Wednesday yet!?

I can't wait. I can't wait. I can't wait.

D as in David
10-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Yeah I would replace Backlund with Frolik and have Bennett play center.

Aren't face-offs a weakness for Bennett at this point? May be that they want a better chance at gaining possession after whistles.

Fire
10-06-2015, 06:54 PM
Aren't face-offs a weakness for Bennett at this point? May be that they want a better chance at gaining possession after whistles.

Not sure what Bennett's face-off percentage has been this pre-season but Backlund was only 48.3% last season. So unless Bennett is really bad I don't think it should be a problem.

GranteedEV
10-06-2015, 07:01 PM

I think Bennett and Backlund were PP2 locks. I have a feeling Ferland has a better one-timer than Frolik, but that's just a hunch.

Enoch Root
10-06-2015, 08:07 PM
I think Bennett and Backlund were PP2 locks. I have a feeling Ferland has a better one-timer than Frolik, but that's just a hunch.

I think Ferland earned the opportunity through his willingness to park himself in front of the net.

The Flames have needed a crease crasher for a long time

hockey.modern
10-06-2015, 08:34 PM
OPENING NIGHT LINES
Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Jooris
Bollig-Stajan-Jones

Giordano-Hamilton
Russell-Wideman
Kulak-Engelland

Ramo
Hiller

POWER PLAY ONE
Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Giordano-Hamilton

POWER PLAY TWO
Bennett-Backlund-Ferland
Russell- Wideman

Street Pharmacist
10-06-2015, 09:06 PM
So who's doing GDTs this year??

FBI
10-06-2015, 09:46 PM
So who's doing GDTs this year??

It's a combo of HD and Cali(Flori)FlamesFan.
So whatever you do, don't start the GDT tomorrow! ;)

Street Pharmacist
10-06-2015, 09:48 PM
It's a combo of HD and Cali(Flori)FlamesFan.
So whatever you do, don't start the GDT tomorrow! ;)
I will never do them. No issues there

FBI
10-06-2015, 10:08 PM
Can't wait for the 10,000 news articles tomorrow and pre-game stuff.. Not going to be a productive day, that's for sure..

The Professor
10-06-2015, 10:11 PM
I don't understand why Jones is on the fourth line. I find him a very serviceable second or third line dude.

BruceCody
10-07-2015, 01:43 AM
I don't understand why Jones is on the fourth line. I find him a very serviceable second or third line dude.
Because Hudler, Frolik and Jooris (if healthy) better than Jones ;)

Cali Panthers Fan
10-07-2015, 05:22 AM
Jones is on the 4th line for now, mostly because it is the best fit. You know that Hartley is going to mix some players around the lineup this year. I would expect Monahan and Gaudreau to stay together for the most part...and that's about it. All the pieces are relatively interchangeable.

King Theo
10-07-2015, 05:30 AM
God. Is Wednesday yet!?

I can't wait. I can't wait. I can't wait.

Yes it is now Wednesday. Game Day!! :w00t: