Street Pharmacist
10-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Huh? Why?

Stormchaser
10-04-2015, 06:15 PM
All your Hamiltons belong to us

Red Menace
10-04-2015, 06:16 PM
What his contract and waiver status? I assume this is for Stockton?

sureLoss
10-04-2015, 06:16 PM
conditional 7th round pick.

Freddie Hamilton has already cleared waivers.

sureLoss
10-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Aaron Vickers @AAVickers
Freddie Hamilton will report to the Stockton Heat. #Flames

MissTeeks
10-04-2015, 06:17 PM
@NHLFlames: "It’s really exciting. I was shocked at first but then excited and it’s been exciting ever since." - Freddie Hamilton on the trade

@NHLFlames: "Everybody saw how well they did last year & the organization is on a rise. I’m thrilled to be part of the organization." - Freddie Hamilton

sureLoss
10-04-2015, 06:18 PM
This deal also helps the Avs sign Glencross and Skille who are on PTOs.

If they sign both they will be at 49 contracts after getting rid of Hamilton

VANFLAMESFAN
10-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Huh? Why?

to get people here to freak out over a 7th round pick.

MissTeeks
10-04-2015, 06:20 PM
@NHLFlames: "I’m looking forward to being in the same organization as my brother now and seeing what happens." - Dougie Hamilton on the trade

memphusk
Maybe because he was Dougless.

handgroen
nm

GranteedEV
10-04-2015, 06:21 PM
to get people here to freak out over a 7th round pick.

Damn it, that could have been the next Matt DeBlouw.

Waste of a conditional seventh round pick.

Street Pharmacist
10-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Maybe because he was Dougless.
I spit out my beer. Lol

mrdonkey
10-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Huh? Why?

Because it's a conditional 7th round pick and the baby Flames need depth, too.

Finger Cookin
10-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Eagerly anticipating the "Let's go Dougie! FREDDIE SUCKS!" chants from the smarks in the crowd.

browna
10-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Granlund brothers next, please.

dammage79
10-04-2015, 06:24 PM
I wonder what the condition is. The Avs get the pick if he plays one NHL game?

Samonadreau
10-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Hmmmmm, another fringe center........

dammage79
10-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Granlund brothers next, please.

We don't have room for one, how could we possibly fit another?

sureLoss
10-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Wes Gilbertson @SUNGilbertson
When I asked #Flames D Dougie Hamilton recently to name his hero, Freddie was the answer: "I've looked up to him ever since I was little."

Phanuthier
10-04-2015, 06:32 PM
I wonder what will come first, Dougie will become Doug or Freddie will become Fred?

BACKCHECK!!!
10-04-2015, 06:38 PM
This will be the Flames best brother pairing since Robyn and Richie Regehr.

GranteedEV
10-04-2015, 06:39 PM
I wonder if this was something the Flames did specifically to influence Glencross getting signed, and the condition on the pick is the Avs get the pick only if they sign Glencross. That would be very interesting.

JurassicTunga12
10-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Interesting. Lets get the Shores too.

Finger Cookin
10-04-2015, 06:44 PM

Better than Darryl and Ron? :bag:

bax
10-04-2015, 06:45 PM
I wonder if this was something the Flames did specifically to influence Glencross getting signed, and the condition on the pick is the Avs get the pick only if they sign Glencross. That would be very interesting.

Why would the flames care?

PeteMoss
10-04-2015, 06:46 PM
From junior he struck me as a guy who end up as a 4th line centre in the NHL if he makes it. He's not nearly as big as Dougie but he won all those academic awards like his brother did. They played together in Niagara in junior.

dammage79
10-04-2015, 06:56 PM
How does he slot in down in Stockton?

1. Shore
2. Arnold
3. Hamilton?
4. Grant?
5. Heard?

Then possibly Granlund?

With the absurd depth at the FW ranks. I am a bit curious to see if there's a big package of players going out in trade.

GranteedEV
10-04-2015, 06:58 PM

1) Because they are a class organization.
2) Because doing little favors like this for other teams can help you when you need a favor in a year, for instance dropping 3.5M dollars of Ladislav Smid.

killer_carlson
10-04-2015, 06:58 PM

Because notwithstanding how Glencross is treated on the board, he was a very committed and valued member of the community. Glencross is probably in the top 3 that the Flames have ever had in terms of using his celebrity to raise money for worthy causes in the community.

I doubt that the condition is that the Avs have to sign Glencross, but what it does do is gives the Avs the flexibility to do so. That does Glencross a solid as well as gives Hamilton his brother in the system.

dash_pinched
10-04-2015, 07:03 PM
Obligatory. Disclaimer - NSFW (language)

hReFx1kjuIE

Biff
10-04-2015, 07:04 PM
Trading for Hamilton. A deal so nice, we did it twice.

Azure
10-04-2015, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't be surprised either if helping Glencross get a contract had something to do with it.

When a guy like that who has given so much back to Calgary, you do everything in your power to help him get a NHL contract.

MissTeeks
10-04-2015, 07:09 PM
http://flames.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=781681

"That was always a dream, ever since we were little, to play on the same team," Freddie told CalgaryFlames.com. "This gives us a chance to do that. There’s a lot of work that still has to be done but that is definitely a huge bonus, being part of the organization."

The news came as a bit of a shock to Dougie, who found out on Sunday afternoon during a team event.

"Brad [Treliving] told me when we were at the little barbecue we were having today. It kind of caught me off guard but obviously it’s really exciting," he said. "I’m looking forward to being in the same organization as my brother now and seeing what happens."

The pair have played together in the past, suiting for three seasons together as members of the Ontario Hockey League's Niagara IceDogs, and at the 2012 IIHF World Junior Championship in Calgary and Edmonton.

"The memory from that … making the team together, being able to wear the Canadian jersey together, and being able to do it in Canada, it was one of my best hockey memories – especially being able to do that with my brother," Dougie stated. "That’s probably one of the best memories."

Freddie concurred, noting how much it meant to be able to represent his country with his younger sibling.

"Being able to have that experience with your brother ... very memorable."

hockey.modern
10-04-2015, 07:12 PM
How do the Flames have a barbecue party in this weather

flamesfan1297
10-04-2015, 07:18 PM
How do the Flames have a barbecue party in this weather

Now that's the real question here!

jayswin
10-04-2015, 07:31 PM
Wes Gilbertson @SUNGilbertson
When I asked #Flames D Dougie Hamilton recently to name his hero, Freddie was the answer: "I've looked up to him ever since I was little."

That was one of the odder Calgary Sun city celebrity question editions I've seen, and maybe could explain his tough go with fitting in the Bruins locker room. He mentioned Taylor Swift and One Direction as the two artists on his playlist and who he'd like to see live.

He also mentioned Ellen DeGeneres as the famous person he'd most like to meet. He seems like a really cool, confident person who isn't trying to be anything other than who he is, and judging by everything we know about this Flames group I'm sure he'll fit in really well here, especially with Brian Burke in the organization.

hockey.modern
10-04-2015, 07:42 PM
That was one of the odder Calgary Sun city celebrity question editions I've seen, and maybe could explain his tough go with fitting in the Bruins locker room. He mentioned Taylor Swift and One Direction as the two artists on his playlist and who he'd like to see live.

He also mentioned Ellen DeGeneres as the famous person he'd most like to meet. He seems like a really cool, confident person who isn't trying to be anything other than who he is, and judging by everything we know about this Flames group I'm sure he'll fit in really well here, especially with Brian Burke in the organization.

Do you have the link the article?

jayswin
10-04-2015, 07:46 PM
Do you have the link the article?

No, just checked and couldn't find it online. It was just one of those news paper throw in interviews the Sun does each week featuring Calgary celebrities with questions like "Who's your favorite artist, what do you have for breakfeast, what famous person would you like to meet, etc.

GettinIggyWithIt
10-04-2015, 07:49 PM

That would seem really odd to me. I would expect it to have more to do with Freddie's performance in Calgary. However, I do think that giving the Avs the room to sign Glencross probably had something to do with it. Seems like both teams were just fitting partners for this type of transaction.

PeteMoss
10-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Come on.. this is a business. If the Flames were so worried about Glencross getting a contract they'd give him one themselves. This has nothing to do with that.

jayswin
10-04-2015, 07:54 PM
Come on.. this is a business. If the Flames were so worried about Glencross getting a contract they'd give him one themselves. This has nothing to do with that.

Ultimately, you could be right, but it would be in spite of your faulty logic. The Flames have no room on this team for Glencross, but if he has room to make another team they may do a little to help that situation if they could. Saying "If they wanted to help him they'd sign him here" is kind of absurd.

You're right that hockey is a business, but like another poster mentioned, sometimes it's good business to help another team out if it works for you now and could lead to good business relations down the road. So if you can see that helping the Av's out by taking a contract (one that also benefits the Flames by making two brothers, one of which is an all star defensemen, happy) and helps a former player who gave so much to the organization and is now in a tough, slightly embarrassing situation, you do it.

This is a really a minor deal that's a win, win for both organizations, imo.

McG
10-04-2015, 07:55 PM
Ultimately, you could be right, but it would be in spite of your faulty logic. The Flames have no room on this team for Glencross, but if he has room to make another team they may do a little to help that situation if they could. Saying "If they wanted to help him they'd sign him here" is kind of absurd.

You're right that hockey is a business, but like another poster mentioned, sometimes it's good business to help another team out if it works for you now and could lead to good business relations down the road.

Perhaps it was all of this and...

"oh yeah, and we gave you a 2nd for Berra."

DoubleF
10-04-2015, 07:56 PM
That would seem really odd to me. I would expect it to have more to do with Freddie's performance in Calgary. However, I do think that giving the Avs the room to sign Glencross probably had something to do with it. Seems like both teams were just fitting partners for this type of transaction.

I could see Glencross being a great consequence and reason to do the deal, but not remotely close to the reason the deal was done in the first place. Won't know unless Treliving decides to explain things to the fans.

It's amazing how much potential good will Treliving may potentially collect from: Freddie, Dougie, Avs and Glencross though. Less likely on the latter two though. Furthermore, it could be a neat little locker room boost in the minors. Freddie might work extra hard for his shot to reunite with his bro. That's great juju and attitude to have in a locker room.

EDIT: Read a prospect write up that says Freddie is a defensive D with good IQ. Won't give you much in terms of points but is supposed to be a good locker room presence.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/freddie_hamilton/

GettinIggyWithIt
10-04-2015, 07:59 PM

I don't disagree. More likely that the Avs called and said they want to sign Glencross but need to get rid of a contract, and would the Flames be interested in taking Freddie of their hands for a nominal price (conditional 7th). Flames just acquired Dougie, the acquisition cost is low, and while helping the Avs they get Dougie's older brother in the system. Actually works out for both teams. Then again....maybe it didn't happen that way. Who knows.

Lanny'sDaMan
10-04-2015, 07:59 PM
I wonder what will come first, Dougie will become Doug or Freddie will become Fred?

Dougie Gilmour. Still after all these years.

PeteMoss
10-04-2015, 08:19 PM
The Flames and Avs are in the same conference and could compete for a wild card position this year. They aren't going to pal around and give up contract spots to help the other out.

Ring of Fire
10-04-2015, 08:22 PM
Good insurance move if they have to put Byron on waivers. Maybe it was in the works before Shore was waived as insurance as well.

savardandjokinen
10-04-2015, 08:49 PM
I was once high on him. He's stuck in our forward depth but will help Stockton. May play a few games up here but idk if he's ready.

drewtastic
10-04-2015, 08:51 PM
So...do the disgruntled Oilers ("We offered a 6th!!!") trade for Max now?

calgarywinning
10-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Treliving Sedin'ed the future.

Max Cow Disease
10-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Now here's the Hamilton that I was hoping we'd end up with all along. After beginning to come to terms with the fact that we may have to settle with Dougie, this comes as an astounding surprise.

mikeecho
10-04-2015, 08:58 PM
It's all about the Hamilton's Baby!

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1360/790/200/lazysunday1.0.jpg

YYC in LAX
10-04-2015, 09:15 PM
We've got Dougie and Freddie and Joshie and Markie and Paulie and Brodie and Matty and Masey and Mikey and Joey and Johnny and Seany and coach Bobby. Gonna be an exciting season.

topfiverecords
10-04-2015, 10:07 PM
Don't forget our boy Sammy!!

AC
10-04-2015, 10:15 PM
We've got Dougie and Freddie and Joshie and Markie and Paulie and Brodie and Matty and Masey and Mikey and Joey and Johnny and Seany and coach Bobby. Gonna be an exciting season.

You forgot the other real one, Kenney Morrison!

getbak
10-04-2015, 10:22 PM
You forgot the other real one, Kenney Morrison!

At the Prospects tournament, they said that Agostino also prefers Kenny.

hockey.modern
10-04-2015, 10:28 PM

Read that in Hartleys voice.

Gaskal
10-04-2015, 10:36 PM
He's a right shot like his brother but as a forward. We aren't exactly armed to the teeth with those. Gives Hathaway and Smith some competition on the right side in AHL.

H2SO4(aq)
10-04-2015, 10:43 PM

probably the two best brothers in the league since jeff and Anson Carter.

CaptainCrunch
10-04-2015, 10:48 PM
Got it Got it need it need it got it got it need it, trade for it.

Remember when we traded for the wrong Bure :)

flamesfan1297
10-04-2015, 11:33 PM
I was once high on him. He's stuck in our forward depth but will help Stockton. May play a few games up here but idk if he's ready.

He's a right shot like his brother but as a forward. We aren't exactly armed to the teeth with those. Gives Hathaway and Smith some competition on the right side in AHL.

I could see Glencross being a great consequence and reason to do the deal, but not remotely close to the reason the deal was done in the first place. Won't know unless Treliving decides to explain things to the fans.

It's amazing how much potential good will Treliving may potentially collect from: Freddie, Dougie, Avs and Glencross though. Less likely on the latter two though. Furthermore, it could be a neat little locker room boost in the minors. Freddie might work extra hard for his shot to reunite with his bro. That's great juju and attitude to have in a locker room.

EDIT: Read a prospect write up that says Freddie is a defensive D with good IQ. Won't give you much in terms of points but is supposed to be a good locker room presence.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/freddie_hamilton/

So is he forward or Defense?

Gaudfather
10-04-2015, 11:37 PM
The Avs did the Flames a solid taking Reto Berra, so turnabout is fair play! Also makes the Flames organization really feel like home for Dougie now - good for an extra 10 points this season! Don't forget Treliving is a wizard.

GettinIggyWithIt
10-04-2015, 11:50 PM
So is he forward or Defense?

He's a forward.

driveway
10-05-2015, 12:08 AM
Fast, cheap, defensive-minded centreman, bound for the minors, two-way deal, good in the room, good leadership qualities, older brother and 'hero' of the Flames shiny new Dougie, helps a former Flame get an NHL contract?

I bet the Avalanche made one phone call about Hamilton.

dino7c
10-05-2015, 12:14 AM
lol@anyone who thinks Glencross had anything to do with this (from a Flames perspective)

this is the NHL for christ sake, for his service over the years the Flames gave him...oh I don't know, millions of dollars! Some of you act like they owe him something

honestly sometimes I wonder

Alberta_Beef
10-05-2015, 02:32 AM
lol@anyone who thinks Glencross had anything to do with this (from a Flames perspective)

this is the NHL for christ sake, for his service over the years the Flames gave him...oh I don't know, millions of dollars! Some of you act like they owe him something

Agreed. It was a case where the Avs needed a roster spot and they probably called Calgary to do a solid for Freddie because he's a good kid and asked for nothing in return.

3rd line Grinder
10-05-2015, 03:02 AM
probably the two best brothers in the league since Nick and Aaron Carter.

fyp:bag:

T@T
10-05-2015, 06:24 AM
For a 7th round pick I would love to see Freddie out score his brother again.

Actually if he even gets to play with the flames it might be a win.

driveway
10-05-2015, 06:34 AM

Right, because it never, ever makes sense to cultivate good business relationships, or to maintain a reputation. Especially in a world as small as the professional hockey world, which - on the management side - we know to be 100% based on merit and in no way shape or form an old-boys-network.

Because the likelihood of a long-term professional remaining in the industry is so small, and giving someone who you have an established relationship with a helping hand if it's also beneficial to you is always, always a stupid idea.

Because hockey is a zero-sum game played by numbers and run by computers.

*ring, ring*
"Hi, Brad? It's Joe. Listen, we want to sign Glennie, but we're up against the limit."
"We'd love to help Glennie out."
"Great, who do you like? My first thought was Freddie would love to play with his brother."
"Would you do a seventh?"
"We can do that."
"Great, write it up."
*click*

Poe969
10-05-2015, 06:39 AM
I like this move for a bunch of reasons. The Flames picked up the struggling brother of the new star player they just signed. They took a chance on a once promising young player and it didn't cost them anything (although the way the Flames have been drafting, they could likely turn that 7th round pick into a star), the Avs will now be able to sign Glencross (if they did it for that reason or not, it's still going to happen) and it shows that BT is constantly working. The guy has shown that he's doing his best to make the Flames as good as they can be. By the moves he's made so far, I don't think I'll have a negative stance on anything he does until it's proven to be a bad move because I can't think of one he's made yet.

albertGQ
10-05-2015, 07:38 AM

How could you forget Evander and Patrick Kane

PeteMoss
10-05-2015, 08:35 AM
Right, because it never, ever makes sense to cultivate good business relationships, or to maintain a reputation. Especially in a world as small as the professional hockey world, which - on the management side - we know to be 100% based on merit and in no way shape or form an old-boys-network.

Because the likelihood of a long-term professional remaining in the industry is so small, and giving someone who you have an established relationship with a helping hand if it's also beneficial to you is always, always a stupid idea.

*ring, ring*
"Hi, Brad? It's Joe. Listen, we want to sign Glennie, but we're up against the limit."
"Great, who do you like? My first thought was Freddie would love to play with his brother."
"We can do that."
"Great, write it up."
*click*

And then a few months down the road a great opportunity comes up to do a trade and the Flames can't do it because they can't fit these guys under the contract limit. You don't just take on a contract to help out Glencross and the Avs.

If it was the trade deadline and these teams weren't competing... maybe I'd buy this for a second.

Hells Bells
10-05-2015, 08:38 AM
Sidney and Sven Crosby are likely the best brother duo according to many on this site.

Although most of them think they are one in the same.

chopper89
10-05-2015, 08:59 AM
That's still only 4 draft picks for 2 Hamiltons!

Not bad at all!

Royle9
10-05-2015, 09:09 AM
Sidney and Sven Crosby are likely the best brother duo according to many on this site.

Although most of them think they are one in the same.

Let's not forget father and son combo Wayne and Connor McGretzky.... at least per the hourly TSN & EDM media.

Locke
10-05-2015, 09:13 AM
This is just the Flames covering their bases after decades of always getting the crap brother.

Wayne Primeau, Rob Niedermayer, Val Bure, etc.

Rick M.
10-05-2015, 09:21 AM
We should pick up Seth Jones to play with his brother David. Do you think a 7th round pick will get it done? :whistle:

EldrickOnIce
10-05-2015, 09:22 AM
From an addon to the article on Flames analytics, from Burke.
On the scads of free agents signing PTOs: “You become a cap casualty because you're too expensive, and some of those guys are going to take major pay cuts if they want to play. And I don't like that part of it. I don’t like the fact that Curtis Glencross has to go to camp on a tryout. I wish there was a way around it.”
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/brian-burke-calgary-flames-president-hockey-analytics-chris-snow-eyeball-character-truculence-curtis-glencross/

If some part of this deal was helping out a former player who did excellent things for this organization on and off the ice, it's good.

Bourque's Twin
10-05-2015, 09:27 AM
How could you forget Evander and Patrick Kane

Owen and Jordan Nolan too

topfiverecords
10-05-2015, 10:00 AM
It was clearly...
Avs: "Let's call Calgary and see what it would take to get Hamilton from them. They're gonna want a ton so lowball them to start"

Roy: "Hey Brad, I'm calling about a trade possibility."
Treliving: "Sure, who are you thinking?"
Roy: "Hamilton"
Treliving: "For what?"
Roy: "Maybe a 7th?"
Treliving: "Sure, I'll have Connie write it up and start the trade call."

Treliving to Conroy: "Hey, just got Freddie Hamilton from Colorado for only a 7th"
Sakic: "Wait, did we trade Freddie?"

http://wpmedia.o.canada.com/2014/04/hkn_flames_treliving_20140428_31764629.jpg?w=200

bax
10-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Glencross released from his PTO with the Avs. Like I said earlier, the Flames aren't in the business of doing favors for former players

Locke
10-05-2015, 11:22 AM
It was clearly...
Avs: "Let's call Calgary and see what it would take to get Hamilton from them. They're gonna want a ton so lowball them to start"

Roy: "Hey Brad, I'm calling about a trade possibility."
Treliving: "Sure, who are you thinking?"
Roy: "Hamilton"
Treliving: "For what?"
Roy: "Maybe a 7th?"
Treliving: "Sure, I'll have Connie write it up and start the trade call."

Treliving to Conroy: "Hey, just got Freddie Hamilton from Colorado for only a 7th"
Sakic: "Wait, did we trade Freddie?"

http://wpmedia.o.canada.com/2014/04/hkn_flames_treliving_20140428_31764629.jpg?w=200

Take your thanks you brilliant basterd!

dino7c
10-05-2015, 12:04 PM

*ring, ring*
"We can do that."
"Great, write it up."
*click*

The Calgary Flames are not in the business of helping other teams or former players

Maybe they wanted to do a current top end D-man a solid by acquiring his brother not help out a guy that complained about his role last season.

heep223
10-05-2015, 12:07 PM
This is just the Flames covering their bases after decades of always getting the crap brother.

Wayne Primeau, Rob Niedermayer, Val Bure, etc.

...Markus Granlund....

*runs for cover*

Locke
10-05-2015, 12:18 PM
...Markus Granlund....

*runs for cover*

Oooh...I'll grant you that at the moment he appears to be the 'less-talented' brother, but the other brothers were hot garbage.

I remember all the proselytizing that we only picked up Rob Neidermayer in hopes of luring Scott.

That turned out exactly as you'd think it would.

Da_Chief
10-05-2015, 01:13 PM

Pretty sure Jeff and Anson are not brothers. I think they are cousins.

SuperMatt18
10-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Oooh...I'll grant you that at the moment he appears to be the 'less-talented' brother, but the other brothers were hot garbage.

I remember all the proselytizing that we only picked up Rob Neidermayer in hopes of luring Scott.

That turned out exactly as you'd think it would.

It kind of hurt more when Anaheim ended up using that ploy, and it worked, and then they won a cup.

Locke
10-05-2015, 01:33 PM
It kind of hurt more when Anaheim ended up using that ploy, and it worked, and then they won a cup.

In fairness, they were a bit closer than we were at the time. They had a couple of pieces in place.

ricardodw
11-13-2015, 01:59 PM
posted in wrong thread

getbak
11-13-2015, 02:02 PM
Has the trade moved back away from the absolute steal for the Flames that it looked like?

Hamilton has moved into the #5 D slot in Calgary and it is not like Wideman and Russell are playing so well that they Hamilton has no opportunity to play his way into the top 4.

It is a similar role that his old team mate Matt Bartkowski is filling with the Canucks. In 2013-14 both Hamilton and Bartkowski play 64 games with the Bruins, each had just over 19 minutes a game and both ended up +22. Hamilton had a great 2014-15 and Bartkowski did not.

Bartkowski was signed by the Canucks to a 1 year 1.75 M deal as a UFA.

On the going out side of the trade :

The Flames gave up Barzal or Connor plus 2nds for Hamilton.

Even using Boston's picks Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson is a ppg Freshman at Boston U and Jeremy Lauzon who is the top scoring d-man in the Q and is +17 (#5 in the league).

As both the Flames and the Bruins are in re-build mode which team helped the rebuild more?

The Bruins got 9 years of low contract ELC and the Flames are paying Hamilton to be a top 2 d-man.

What will the trade look like in 2 years?
I think you're in the wrong Hamilton trade thread.

Freddie is tied for the team lead in both goals and points in Stockton right now.

ricardodw
11-13-2015, 02:20 PM
I think you're in the wrong Hamilton trade thread.

Freddie is tied for the team lead in both goals and points in Stockton right now.

oops

Poe969
11-13-2015, 02:26 PM
How the hell is Hamilton our #5??? He's been our second best defenseman for a few games. Before Christmas our top pairing will be Brodie and Hamilton. I think your Frolik hate is spilling over a bit to the wrong players.

calgaryblood
11-13-2015, 02:32 PM
How the hell is Hamilton our #5??? He's been our second best defenseman for a few games. Before Christmas our top pairing will be Brodie and Hamilton. I think your Frolik hate is spilling over a bit to the wrong players.

Define "good". He's been ok to average and Hartley is sheltering him like crazy.

He was fifth in ice time among dmen last night and in Florida and has looked average.

He can't complete a breakout pass to save his life, pinches at the wrong time and is very soft and that includes the last few games. He's also not willing to take the body and is playing way too soft.

He's been our number 5 defenceman for at least 2 weeks, don't know what games you've been watching.

getbak
11-13-2015, 02:37 PM
FREDDIE Hamilton.

This is the FREDDIE Hamilton thread!

Lanny_McDonald
11-13-2015, 02:44 PM
posted in wrong thread

Isn't it embarrassing when you find yourself under the wrong bridge?

SuperMatt18
11-13-2015, 03:05 PM
In fairness, they were a bit closer than we were at the time. They had a couple of pieces in place.

Were they though? Those teams were probably at close places in the development cycle at that point in time. With both having dark horse success on the back of good playoff runs.

Rob was traded from here to Anaheim in 02/03.

Ducks lost in the finals in 02/03 but failed to make the playoffs in 03/04.

Flames lost in the finals in 03/04 then won their division in 05/06.

Scott signed with the Ducks on August 5th 2005 and it was his arrival that turned that team around. (Kariya had already moved on, Selanne had just returned on a show me contract after a couple of poor seasons).

If anything the Flames were ahead of the Ducks at that stage in their development. Ducks beat the Flames in 7 with Scott on their team already, Flames likely win that series if Scott is here.

Azhouse
11-13-2015, 03:16 PM
Pronger helped

albertGQ
11-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Pronger helped

Should have won the Conn Smythe (yes, I know he got suspended twice)

sureLoss
02-12-2016, 10:17 AM
per General Fanager the conditions on the 7th rounder:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbB7B9wXEAAgkJW.png

Looking unlikely at this point the Flames will have to give up a pick.

Bar-Down
02-12-2016, 10:20 AM
per General Fanager the conditions on the 7th rounder:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbB7B9wXEAAgkJW.png

Looking unlikely at this point the Flames will have to give up a pick.

That's good news.

Did we ever find out the conditions of the Max Reinhart trade to Nashville? Wasn't it a conditional 4th?

sureLoss
02-12-2016, 10:24 AM
That's good news.

Did we ever find out the conditions of the Max Reinhart trade to Nashville? Wasn't it a conditional 4th?

It was a conditional 4th, but both teams have been very cryptic about the conditions.

Treliving on the radio said that the criteria had to be met or the Flames wouldn't get anything.

Locke
02-12-2016, 10:50 AM
Okay, so we're fairly safe against paying those conditions.

Enoch Root
02-12-2016, 11:06 AM
18 games in order to get a 7th? Wow.

Seems to me that if a young player gets 18 games in at the NHL level, he's worth more than a 7th rounder.

Pretty safe deal for the Flames: he's free unless he somehow takes a huge step forward and becomes a very useful player - then he's almost free.

Split98
02-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Is it possible to be traded for LESS than a conditional 7th?

Locke
02-12-2016, 11:14 AM
Is it possible to be traded for LESS than a conditional 7th?

Yes.

Once upon a time a baseball player was traded for 2000 red seats.

A hockey player was once traded for a team Bus. Another was traded for a steak dinner.

One baseball player was traded for, literally and I cant make this up, a bag of bats.

This sadly resulted in his suicide. :(

You take your conditional 7th when you can get it.

DJones
02-12-2016, 11:21 AM
Yes.

A hockey player was once traded for a team Bus. Another was traded for a steak dinner.

One baseball player was traded for, literally and I cant make this up, a bag of bats.

Are those NHL/MBA trades

or was that a Flint Tropics type situation?

Fire of the Phoenix
02-12-2016, 11:23 AM
Yes.

Ray Sheppard was traded for $1 if memory serves. Ouch.

Bar-Down
02-12-2016, 11:25 AM
It was a conditional 4th, but both teams have been very cryptic about the conditions.

Treliving on the radio said that the criteria had to be met or the Flames wouldn't get anything.

Strange. I just figured since it's a conditional 4th that if the conditions weren't met it would fall to a 5th or 6th at worst.

I am sure the conditions involve some NHL games and Nashville can just keep him buried all year in order to get a free asset. Oh well, just would've been nice to get something in return. I suppose there is still a chance we will.

MrMastodonFarm
02-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Doubt we ever see that 4th rounder for Reinhart. Have to think it's similar NHL games played condition on that pick from Nashville.

Calgary4LIfe
02-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Kris Draper is the famous $1 Man.

Hitman88
02-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Ray Sheppard was traded for $1 if memory serves. Ouch.

Kris Draper was traded from the Jets for $1 (https://www.nhl.com/news/draper-made-sure-red-wings-got-bang-for-their-buck/c-697652).

Great value for Detroit!

Fire of the Phoenix
02-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Kris Draper is the famous $1 Man.
Both Draper and Sheppard were traded for $1.

Locke
02-12-2016, 11:34 AM
Kris Draper! Right. Forgot about that one.

The baseball ones are minor leagues but the hockey ones were NHL I believe.

Back in the day the NHL was much less professional. Sometimes I miss those days. Not the hockey, but the hilarity.

Imagine being traded for a team bus. Not a good one.

Hack&Lube
02-12-2016, 11:41 AM
Yes.

You're probably thinking this was some random American minor league trade from 50 years ago, in reality it was the Calgary Vipers doing...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Odom_(baseball)

Locke
02-12-2016, 11:43 AM
You're probably thinking this was some random American minor league trade from 50 years ago, in reality it was the Calgary Vipers doing...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Odom_(baseball)

Fair enough. You got me. I totally thought this was eons ago.

GreenLantern2814
02-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Yes.

Just looked up the bat man's story - his name was John Odom. He died of an accidental overdose, with heroin and meth being key players. It's unfair to characterize the trade as the cause of his death. He was a heroin addict.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Odom_(baseball)

CaptainCrunch
02-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Eddie Shore traded a player for a net. He forgot to make the condition a new hockey net. He almost went through the roof when a ratty used goal was sent to him.

Locke
02-12-2016, 11:59 AM
Just looked up the bat man's story - his name was John Odom. He died of an accidental overdose, with heroin and meth being key players. It's unfair to characterize the trade as the cause of his death. He was a heroin addict.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Odom_(baseball)

Okay, fair enough. I thought that his drug use was a condition of his depression caused by his low perceived value but it was a long time ago so I'm not entirely sure.

GreenLantern2814
02-12-2016, 01:27 PM
Okay, fair enough. I thought that his drug use was a condition of his depression caused by his low perceived value but it was a long time ago so I'm not entirely sure.

It's a tragedy regardless, eh?

Heroin is such a sad, scary drug.

Also, the Vipers said they were going to auction the bats off for charity and then sold them to Ripley's Believe it or Not? for $10K? When they wouldn't trade Odom for $1000 cash because they didn't want to look financially unstable.

Good riddance to that open sore of an organization.

Vulcan
02-12-2016, 02:48 PM
Kris Draper! Right. Forgot about that one.

The baseball ones are minor leagues but the hockey ones were NHL I believe.

Back in the day the NHL was much less professional. Sometimes I miss those days. Not the hockey, but the hilarity.

Imagine being traded for a team bus. Not a good one.

The player traded for a bus happened in the WHL.

Following two seasons of junior A (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_ice_hockey) hockey in Kelowna, Martin was added to the Seattle Breakers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Thunderbirds)' reserve list. He chose instead to gain an education while playing at the University of Denver (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Denver) in 1982–83.[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Martin_%28ice_hockey,_born_1964%29#cite_note-Bussey-1) Martin did make it known that he would play junior for his hometown team, the Victoria Cougars (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Cougars_%28WHL%29), however.[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Martin_%28ice_hockey,_born_1964%29#cite_note-SeattlePI-2) The Breakers wished to trade Martin, and were in need of a new team bus. Coincidentally, the Cougars had an extra bus that they purchased from the defunct Spokane Flyers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spokane_Flyers) franchise, but as they were unwilling to pay the taxes and fees required to bring the bus into Canada, it was sitting in storage in the United States.[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Martin_%28ice_hockey,_born_1964%29#cite_note-Bussey-1) As a result, on January 19, 1983, the Cougars traded the bus to the Breakers for Martin's playing rights and $35,000.[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Martin_%28ice_hockey,_born_1964%29#cite_note-SeattlePI-2) Martin earned the nickname "Bussey" for the remainder of his career.[1 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Martin_%28ice_hockey,_born_1964%29#cite_note-Bussey-1)

Locke
02-12-2016, 02:50 PM
They nicknamed him 'Bussey.'

Wow. Just....thats gotta hurt.

And yeah, the guy traded for bats was a tragedy.

powderjunkie
02-12-2016, 10:10 PM
The Vipers offered Odom to the Laredo Broncos for a Bronco player, but that player refused to move to Calgary. The Broncos then offered $1000 cash for Odom, but the Vipers felt cash deals made the team appear financially unstable. The teams then came to an agreement on May 20 to exchange Odom for ten Prairie Sticks maple bats, worth a total of $665.

The ten bats that the Vipers received for Odom were never used, and the Vipers planned to auction them off for charity, but Ripley's Believe It or Not! purchased them for $10,000.

Pretty decent ROI in the end!

Pointman
02-13-2016, 11:33 AM
Pretty sure Jeff and Anson are not brothers. I think they are cousins.

Flames tend to get worse cousin too, like David Moss, cousin of Phil Kessell.

GreenLantern2814
02-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Pretty decent ROI in the end!

Yeah. Why make a small gesture to memorialize a young man who lost his life to an insidious substance when you can profit from his death.

JJ1532
02-18-2016, 10:26 AM
Not sure if this info has been shared or not, but we basically picked up Hamilton for nothing.

http://www.generalfanager.com/draftpicks?year=2016&round=all&team=all

According to generalfanager, the condition of the 7th going to Colorado was that he has/had to play 18 NHL games this season. Looks almost certainly like that won't be happening, so we get to keep our 7th.

bob-loblaw
02-18-2016, 12:07 PM
Not sure if this info has been shared or not, but we basically picked up Hamilton for nothing.

http://www.generalfanager.com/draftpicks?year=2016&round=all&team=all

According to generalfanager, the condition of the 7th going to Colorado was that he has/had to play 18 NHL games this season. Looks almost certainly like that won't be happening, so we get to keep our 7th.

Trying to even out what it cost us for his brother as a BOGO.

MarkGio
02-18-2016, 08:34 PM
Hamilton hasn't been bad in the AHL either. If the Flames forward group was more banged up, Hamilton would've got his cup of coffee

Gaudfather
02-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Trying to even out what it cost us for his brother as a BOGO.

Or as we used to say during happy hour - a twofer!