PDA

View Full Version : [News] Flames release Ryan Wilson from PTO

sureLoss
10-04-2015, 12:09 PM
flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=781589

The Calgary Flames announced today that they have released defenceman Ryan Wilson from his professional try-out.

Calgary has 27 players remaining at training camp (3x goalies, 8x defencemen, 16x forwards).

mrdonkey
10-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Good on Kulak for earning a spot. Kid deserves it.

Igster
10-04-2015, 12:13 PM
As expected. He was OK, but not great. Kulak beat him out.

sureLoss
10-04-2015, 12:13 PM
GOALTENDERS
1 - Jonas Hiller
31 - Karri Ramo
37 - Joni Ortio

DEFENCEMEN
15 - Ladislav Smid
7 - TJ Brodie
29 - Deryk Engelland
4 - Kris Russell
6 - Dennis Wideman
5 - Mark Giordano
27 - Dougie Hamilton
61- Brett Kulak

FORWARDS
13 - Johnny Gaudreau
16 - Josh Jooris
23 - Sean Monahan
60 - Markus Granlund
79 - Micheal Ferland
8 - Joe Colborne
11 - Mikael Backlund
17 - Lance Bouma
52 - Brandon Bollig
67 - Micheal Frolik
18 - Matt Stajan
19 - David Jones
21 - Mason Raymond
24 - Jiri Hudler
93 - Sam Bennett
32 - Paul Byron

Gaskal
10-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Good on Kulak for earning a spot. Kid deserves it.
Especially after Hartley made these comments (http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=781614&navid=DL|CGY|home).
“He looked like a playoff defenceman,” Hartley said. “He played very well. I’m very pleased with Kulak’s game. Nothing fancy. He skated well, made some great decisions, showed some poise for a young defenceman and I’m very pleased with his game.”

I think that's the highest praise he could give Kulak as a coach.

btimbit
10-04-2015, 12:15 PM
He was alright but we have better options

transplant99
10-04-2015, 12:16 PM
Writing was on the wall when he didn't start last nights game.

Hartley said to both Kulak and Ramo "here ya go, now prove it"

I think both start on Wednesday.

sureLoss
10-04-2015, 12:18 PM
With Smid, Brodie and Colborne all on IR Flames just need to cut 1 more to finalize a 23 man roster.

if they carry 3 goalies it will be a forward that needs to be cut.

thymebalm
10-04-2015, 12:19 PM
I'm really surprised to see him released.

He seemed like the perfect kind of player to force some pressure up the roster. I guess we have enough young guys doing just that.

In the end, i'm happier knowing more prospects are likely to get ice time.

mrdonkey
10-04-2015, 12:20 PM
GOALTENDERS
1 - Jonas Hiller
31 - Karri Ramo
37 - Joni Ortio

DEFENCEMEN
15 - Ladislav Smid
7 - TJ Brodie
29 - Deryk Engelland
4 - Kris Russell
6 - Dennis Wideman
5 - Mark Giordano
27 - Dougie Hamilton
61- Brett Kulak

FORWARDS
13 - Johnny Gaudreau
16 - Josh Jooris
23 - Sean Monahan
60 - Markus Granlund
79 - Micheal Ferland
8 - Joe Colborne
11 - Mikael Backlund
17 - Lance Bouma
52 - Brandon Bollig
67 - Micheal Frolik
18 - Matt Stajan
19 - David Jones
21 - Mason Raymond
24 - Jiri Hudler
93 - Sam Bennett
32 - Paul Byron

So it appears the Flames will run 6 D and 3 G, at least until one of Brodie or Smid is cleared to play.

It appears the only decision left to be made is one cut up front with the injury to Colborne. Hopefully it's Raymond, but my gut says Granlund gets sent down to start.

thymebalm
10-04-2015, 12:21 PM
With Smid, Brodie and Colborne all on IR Flames just need to cut 1 more to finalize a 23 man roster.

if they carry 3 goalies it will be a forward that needs to be cut.

Treliving has painted himself into a corner, deal a goalie, send down a deserving player and break the mantra, or waive Byron/Raymond.

That's how I see his choices anyway.

sureLoss
10-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Treliving has painted himself into a corner, deal a goalie, send down a deserving player and break the mantra, or waive Byron/Raymond.

Could also assign Granlund to Stockton.

Lanny_McDonald
10-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Good move. Better players in the minors.

Prufrock
10-04-2015, 12:24 PM
He was outplayed by Kulak. I hope he finds a spot though, I had a decent chat with him last night at Craft (a bunch of the guys were there) and he seemed like a really nice guy.

Anyway, can it be Oct. 7 already?

thymebalm
10-04-2015, 12:25 PM
Could also assign Granlund to Stockton.

That was my break the mantra choice.

Granlund earned a spot from my point of view.

sureLoss
10-04-2015, 12:28 PM
That was my break the mantra choice.

Granlund earned a spot from my point of view.

Has he played well enough to get a top 12 spot? If not he should be going back to Stockton for the ice time, not being the healthy scratch most games.

GranteedEV
10-04-2015, 12:28 PM
I actually think Wilson could have gotten a deal somewhere, but Calgary was a poor fit. Guys have struggled mastering Hartley's system quickly(Engelland last year, Diaz for a while, Hamilton this year so far), his lack of footspeed made him a bad partner for Engelland or Wideman, he's a primarily left side D which made him a bad partner for Russell, and our overflowing prospect depth gave him a ton of competition.

Still, Flames gave him a longer chance than most PTOs. Maybe he can convert that to a deal with somebody else.

devo22
10-04-2015, 12:37 PM
the right call in my opinion. I hope he gets an NHL deal somewhere though.

thymebalm
10-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Has he played well enough to get a top 12 spot? If not he should be going back to Stockton for the ice time, not being the healthy scratch most games.

I thought so. He produced offensively, he was responsible defensively, he had some serious speed and jam. I wouldn't always put him in over Bollig or Jones or Bennett or Jooris, but I think he was just as good as these guys.

Flash Walken
10-04-2015, 12:52 PM

I think you're correct. Granlund is the easiest move to make and the player that has established himself the least of those guys.

It's just a temporary thing until the goalie situation resolves itself.

Finger Cookin
10-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Kulak will be assigned when Brodie or Smid are healthy. The difficult decision will come when all three injured players are healthy. Barring further injuries, of course.

Bandwagon In Flames
10-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Kulak will be assigned when Brodie or Smid are healthy. The difficult decision will come when all three injured players are healthy. Barring further injuries, of course.

It's not when, but if. It's quite rare to see an entire healthy lineup at any point in the season. Highest chance for a healthy roster is at the start of the season, which obviously isn't the case for the Flames.

Just love that the Flames are in this position. You know what kinds of teams have to make these hard decisions due to enormous depth? Playoff teams.

cannon7
10-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Guess this makes sense in the long run. When Smid is activated, if he isn't outplaying guys like Engelland then I move him for whatever you can get. Kulak, Wotherspoon, Morrison, etc. are all better options in a #6/7 capacity.

Finger Cookin
10-04-2015, 01:15 PM
It's not when, but if. It's quite rare to see an entire healthy lineup at any point in the season. Highest chance for a healthy roster is at the start of the season, which obviously isn't the case for the Flames.

Just love that the Flames are in this position. You know what kinds of teams have to make these hard decisions due to enormous depth? Playoff teams.

Agreed, and I thought I was saying the same thing with my "barring further injuries" qualifier. I don't think there's any question that all three currently injured players will get healthy again (except for Smid, maybe). What might force things is if they happen to get healthy around the same time and no one else is injured.

Geeoff
10-04-2015, 01:18 PM

Having too many good players is not a bad corner to be painted into IMO.

Vulcan
10-04-2015, 01:26 PM
I think they'll send a goalie down if a trade can't be made. I also believe Granlund will be sent down because he isn't a top 12 forward. They could have signed Wilson but as soon as Brodie is back, he'd be redundant so in the long run he'd just be taking up a player spot on our 50 man list. Maybe they'll recall Wotherspoon or Nakladal as the 7th defenceman for now.

Badgers Nose
10-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Great to see Kulak earn/win a spot.

Bandwagon In Flames
10-04-2015, 01:37 PM
I'd love if Treliving could work some more of his magic to get something for Hiller. Even packaging him with a middling prospect for a 2nd-3rd round pick would be fine. It's not that Hiller has negative value right now, but there's trouble finding goalie buyers currently.

dammage79
10-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Kulak beat Wilson out. Good for Kulak, and good for the Flames.

chubeyr1
10-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Personally I think Wilson proved he is an NHL defenseman, just not a good fit here. Hope he gets a contract from another team.

Good on Kulak, I was impressed last preseason with how well he meshed with Engelland.

As for sending a forward down? Granlund is the easy choice. He has done alot more in camp and preseason than others on the roster though. Granlund needs to shift to the wing, if he could win a faceoff I would be screaming that he should not be sent down.

Flames Draft Watcher
10-04-2015, 02:01 PM
Great move. Kulak looked really good last game as well. Wilson just isn't as mobile as our other defensemen.

Now we just have to find someway to dump Raymond.

herashak
10-04-2015, 02:23 PM
hopefully kulak runs with this. I could see him pushing engelland out of an every game spot when brodie gets back. I would love to see him as the bonafide #6 dman come playoff time. But even if he isn't here for too much longer this is still a great boost to his development.

neo45
10-04-2015, 02:26 PM
If we thought Kulak was good in preseason we are going to think he is amazing if he gets paired with Brodie. Brodie makes any D partner better

scotty2hotty
10-04-2015, 02:29 PM
If we thought Kulak was good in preseason we are going to think he is amazing if he gets paired with Brodie. Brodie makes any D partner better

Jeepers ... can you imagine?

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Kulak
Russell - Wideman

<drool>

GranteedEV
10-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Jeepers ... can you imagine?

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Kulak
Russell - Wideman

<drool>

Don't like it.

Giordano - Brodie
Russell - Hamilton
Kulak - Wideman

scotty2hotty
10-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Don't like it.

Giordano - Brodie
Russell - Hamilton
Kulak - Wideman

LOL. Fair enough. I'm just happy with the embarrassment of riches.

Strange Brew
10-04-2015, 04:58 PM
I think you're correct. Granlund is the easiest move to make and the player that has established himself the least of those guys.

It's just a temporary thing until the goalie situation resolves itself.

I kind of think Granlund has earned a top 12 spot. Has he outplayed the majority of Flame forwards this preseason? I think he has.

I know what you mean but I'm not sure the goalie situation resolves itself. Barring an injury, BT needs to make a move. Three goalies is a big problem and there is no good way to give them each enough PT to work it out. I honestly expected Ortio sent down by now.

druetetective
10-04-2015, 07:04 PM
I know in the NFL players are paid 6000-45000 for PTO during camp.

Any idea if Wilson earned anything for his time?

killer_carlson
10-04-2015, 07:58 PM
I think it will play out like this until Brodie is back:

Gio - Hamilton 22 to 25 minutes
Russel - Wideman 22-25 minutes
Kulak Engellend 8 to 10

if we are winning and the game is out of reach look for the third pairing to climb up in icetime.

McG
10-04-2015, 07:59 PM
i can think of one team that should be taking a real good look at Ryan Wilson, but for that reason alone they won't.

druetetective
10-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Yeah he's probally better than Ferance as #7. I'd take Gryba/Reinhart over him though.

Anyways I don't think It's Edmonton's bottom guys that are hurting them. The lack of a # 1,2,4 guy is their problem.

druetetective
10-04-2015, 08:59 PM
dp.

Calgary4LIfe
10-04-2015, 09:30 PM
I do think that Wilson gets picked up somewhere. Just everything you want in a bottom pairing defencemen I think, especially for teams that want a bit of a veteran presence as well. Good luck to him. Would be had for cheap as well for teams with cap issues but wanting more depth. Not a whole lot of decent free guys out there left - at least none that spring to mind.

Flames Draft Watcher
10-04-2015, 10:03 PM
I kind of think Granlund has earned a top 12 spot. Has he outplayed the majority of Flame forwards this preseason? I think he has.

I know what you mean but I'm not sure the goalie situation resolves itself. Barring an injury, BT needs to make a move. Three goalies is a big problem and there is no good way to give them each enough PT to work it out. I honestly expected Ortio sent down by now.

I watched 5 of the preseason games, 4 live. I don't think Granlund significantly outplayed many of the Flames forwards. I think he outperformed Raymond and Byron and Shore but he's still very much a bubble guy to me. Stuck behind Monahan, Bennett, Backlund and Stajan. And his face offs aren't good enough yet for a full time centre role. I think he can easily play with us but I don't think he significantly outplayed any of our top 4 centres. So he's an extra forward or down to Stockton.

dustygoon
10-04-2015, 10:06 PM

Cool litmus test. So did Stajan play well enough to get a top 12 spot? And I'm a fan of Stajan by the way.

kyuss275
10-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Cool litmus test. So did Stajan play well enough to get a top 12 spot? And I'm a fan of Stajan by the way.

Yes he did. He had a great pre-season. Flames are deep at center ( odd to write that). In my opinion with the pre-season he had, he would have been top 9 on some teams.

CaptainCrunch
10-04-2015, 10:45 PM
Yeah he's probally better than Ferance as #7. I'd take Gryba/Reinhart over him though.

Anyways I don't think It's Edmonton's bottom guys that are hurting them. The lack of a # 1,2,4 guy is their problem.

Gryba is brutal in every way, he's a brick on skates. And Reinhart is probably going to get murdered in the West by high speed forwards making him turn.

druetetective
10-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Lets not kid ourselves Gryba/Reinhart is at least on par with Kulak/Engelland

Obviously when Brodie comes back our bottom pair will be significantly better though.

druetetective
10-04-2015, 11:17 PM
After watching some Reinhart videos I take that back. I'll take Kulak over him easily.

That trade is going to haunt the Oilers for years.