PDA

View Full Version : [News] Raffi Torres At It Again - Check to the Head of Silfverberg - Update gets 41 games

Mike F
10-04-2015, 10:28 AM
The only YouTube clip I could find:

bDReX2vj5gc

TSN has better clips in its story here (http://www.tsn.ca/sharks-torres-ejected-for-hit-to-the-head-1.371405).

San Jose Sharks forward Raffi Torres could be facing another suspension by the National Hockey League after receiving a match penalty for an illegal hit to the head of Anaheim Ducks forward Jakob Silfverberg.

Torres was assessed the penalty in the first period of Saturday's exhibition game.

Silfverberg left the ice and did not return.

Bandwagon In Flames
10-04-2015, 10:41 AM
This is the crap we need out of the game. Not fighting.

Stay Golden
10-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Torres started his run at Silverberg just past center ice. About 6 strides. He knew what hr was going to do.
Can't stand this rat he seems to be involved with garbage a few times every season.

Lanny_McDonald
10-04-2015, 10:42 AM
Didn't think it was as bad a hit as it has been built up to be. When are players going to start skating with their heads up?

Finger Cookin
10-04-2015, 10:46 AM
I think the top comment on TSN suggested his suspension be 82 games, which would finish off the regular season of his final contract. Hopefully then we'd never see him in the NHL again.

devo22
10-04-2015, 10:49 AM
one of those players who have already received way too many "second" or "last" chances. Get him out of the league already.

Bandwagon In Flames
10-04-2015, 10:51 AM
Didn't think it was as bad a hit as it has been built up to be. When are players going to start skating with their heads up?

I think the top comment on TSN suggested his suspension be 82 games, which would finish off the regular season of his final contract. Hopefully then we'd never see him in the NHL again.

One of these posts is not like the other one.

New Era do you know who Raffi Torres is? Yet you're taking his side and blaming the victim for this charge to the head?

Antithesis
10-04-2015, 10:52 AM

He clearly begins striding towards Silverberg from quite a distance away, which strongly suggests to me that Torres was targeting him, though I never played hockey so what do I know? Torres has a reputation for a reason and just isn't getting it. It's time for him to go away.

And we can just as easily ask when players will start taking better care of each other as "When are players going to start skating with their heads up?" Who decided that punishment for not doing so had to be a potentially debilitating injury? I can't believe that the NHLPA hasn't stepped up to do more to get this guy out of the game to protect their hundreds of other members.

Fire of the Phoenix
10-04-2015, 10:56 AM

That's such a brutal oversimplification. It's a really fast game with 10 players on the ice flying all over the place, you can't expect every single player is going to have his head on a swivel 100% of the time. The onus is clearly on Torres to not be a head-hunting piece of crap. Kick him out of the league already.

PlayfulGenius
10-04-2015, 11:02 AM
Where's the puck in that clip...it appears to be quite late, too...hard to tell, of course.

cory
10-04-2015, 11:11 AM
http://gfycat.com/RipeGoodGopher

Mike F
10-04-2015, 11:11 AM
One of the things that bothers me the most is that you see Torres show absolutely no concern for Silfverberg in the TSN clips. He practically skates over him without even glancing down. Completely disgusting.

That disgust went up exponentially after seeing how blatant a head shot it really was.

IgiTang
10-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Wow... That was intent with the elbow out, principle point of contact and only point of contact was the head.
He's gotta be done in the NHL, right!?

AcGold
10-04-2015, 11:39 AM
This is what his tenth incident? Get this moron out of the league already

nik-
10-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Why is this guy even still in the league? :confused:

It's time to start punishing the teams that sign these players too. If someone is a Cooke or a Torres, and you sign them, and they do something stupid, there should be a significant penalty.

devo22
10-04-2015, 11:45 AM
This is what his tenth incident? Get this moron out of the league already
not quite, but he was suspended five times in the span of 2 years.

May 2013 - suspended for Round 2 of the playoffs (6 playoff games)
Jan 2013 - suspended for 8 games
Apr 2012 - suspended for up to 25 games, missed 13 playoff games
Jan 2012 - suspended for 2 games
Apr 2011 - suspended for 4 games (2 regular season, 2 playoff games)

Diemenz
10-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Is that ###### canoe also wearing an A? Wow, that is the last person I would want my young players looking up to. Preseason or not he doesn't deserve to have an A on his jersey.

AcGold
10-04-2015, 11:49 AM
He's been doing this crap for a decade, close to 10 incidents.

May 8, 2005 - Michalek

Oct. 20, 2007 - Moss

March 29, 2009 - Berglund

Feb. 22, 2011 - Pacioretty

4 minutes of dirty hits

UOTlhWVePtE

KootenayFlamesFan
10-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Waste of space. Suspend him for life and set a precedent. He clearly hasn't learned his lesson or just doesn't care.

Enoch Root
10-04-2015, 11:54 AM
that last clip is pretty damning. He was going to miss him and then sticks out his shoulder/elbow to catch his head. Only point of contact was the head.

And it's not like Silfverberg was bent over. Sometimes a guy will be bent down and a normal hit makes contact with the head. This was a case of Torres extending his upper body outward and upward to make contact with the head, and head only.

Samonadreau
10-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Nice job Torres, try to take a guys head off in a preseason game. I am on board with the 82 gamer.

Lanny_McDonald
10-04-2015, 11:59 AM
New Era do you know who Raffi Torres is? Yet you're taking his side and blaming the victim for this charge to the head?

Yup, know who he is and his reputation. Not taking his side either. Think the league has gone way too far the other way and has made it so guys don't need to think about protecting themselves. I've seen way worse from other players and with greater intent. Sorry, I like good hard hitting hockey. I like guys that can change a game with a big hit. I like the guys that play on the edge and keep the skill players honest. I hate the fact that we'll never see another Scott Stevens in the league. If this hit is suspension worthy then I worry about how many times Micheal Ferland is going to be suspended this season, especially with the number of divers that work in our division. Torres clearly glides into the player before delivering "the hit." This hit was barely a glancing blow but people are crying like he decapitated Silfverberg, who was admiring his pass and not aware of the players around him. I'm not a fan of Torres, but not a hater either. I think this one is being blown way out of proportion. If this was Micheal Ferland in this predicament you all would have a very different perspective on the legality of the hit and the potential suspension.

Benched
10-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Sticking elbow out to clip his head on a fly by is the type of hitting you want in the league?

No Ty. Agree to disagree.

Ps. If ferland did this I'd have an issue with it to. But ferland doesn't target heads with elbows. It's a few quick steps, glide, shoulder in, and mostly stay on your feet. (He's gotta watch the jumping)

RougeUnderoos
10-04-2015, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with a Ferland suspension if he skated more than halfway across the ice and elbowed a guy in the head when he doesn't have the puck.

I do have a problem with people who don't have a return key on their keyboard.

Fire of the Phoenix
10-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Nice job Torres, try to take a guys head off in a preseason game. I am on board with the 82 gamer.

Too bad the NHLPA won't be. They'll die on that hill before they let the NHL do anything even close that. It's far more important to them that he be allowed to run around, injuring other union members.

JiriHrdina
10-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Too bad the NHLPA won't be. They'll die on that hill before they let the NHL do anything even close that. It's far more important to them that he be allowed to run around, injuring other union members.

Which boggles my mind. Why is the PA more concerned about protecting guys up for suspensions instead of protecting the larger group of players at risk by having this goofs running around.

Fire of the Phoenix
10-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Which boggles my mind. Why is the PA more concerned about protecting guys up for suspensions instead of protecting the larger group of players at risk by having this goofs running around.

I wouldn't be surprised if the union leadership blames the league solely for the concussion/player safety issues over the years. They have an important part to play too, but no one can force them into it. Until both the NHL and NHLPA come together to fix this, it's never going to get fixed. I wonder what it's going to take? Sadly, probably someone dying or becoming a paraplegic.

Mattman
10-04-2015, 12:30 PM
The only reason fighting should be in hockey to allow people to beat the #### out of dirty players like Torres. Get him out of the game NHL! He's injuring your young and star players.

OBCT
10-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Terrible hit, and nothing new for Torres.

It's annoying that players like him are still "relevant" in the game today.

You know you're dirty when Don Cherry calls you out ...
-LRTk6Nd1ug

Bandwagon In Flames
10-04-2015, 01:12 PM
Yup, know who he is and his reputation. Not taking his side either. Think the league has gone way too far the other way and has made it so guys don't need to think about protecting themselves. I've seen way worse from other players and with greater intent. Sorry, I like good hard hitting hockey. I like guys that can change a game with a big hit. I like the guys that play on the edge and keep the skill players honest. I hate the fact that we'll never see another Scott Stevens in the league. If this hit is suspension worthy then I worry about how many times Micheal Ferland is going to be suspended this season, especially with the number of divers that work in our division. Torres clearly glides into the player before delivering "the hit." This hit was barely a glancing blow but people are crying like he decapitated Silfverberg, who was admiring his pass and not aware of the players around him. I'm not a fan of Torres, but not a hater either. I think this one is being blown way out of proportion. If this was Micheal Ferland in this predicament you all would have a very different perspective on the legality of the hit and the potential suspension.

There is a difference between hard hitting hockey and goon hockey. Give your head a shake. Torres skates between two of his teammates who were covering him and is the 3rd man charging him.

Oh and put me in the boat that has players like Eric Lindros still in the league instead of Scott Stevens. How many ex NHLers are suffering every week of their life because of dirty Scott Stevens hits? I'm for tough, fair hockey. Not dirty goon play from players like Torres. Disgusting post.

It's this mentality that paints fighting in a negative light. No respect for the players who sacrifice their bodies to play hockey, not get elbowed in the face by plugs.

DownhillGoat
10-04-2015, 01:19 PM
Fairly typical union mentality.

calumniate
10-04-2015, 01:32 PM

The almighty dollar sadly. If a player is injured the players still get paid, however suspended players are done so without pay. The incentive structure really needs to be updated imo

Erick Estrada
10-04-2015, 02:44 PM
Some of the blame has to go to the teams that employ dirty players like Cooke and Torres. IMO if one of the Sharks top players get injured by a cheap shot the team has it coming by employing one of the worst offenders in the league. There's simply no excuse to have these dirt bags on your roster. I know I would be furious if the Flames brought either of those two guys in. I hope the league comes down hard on him as it was blatant attempt to injure.

CliffFletcher
10-04-2015, 03:05 PM
I hate the fact that we'll never see another Scott Stevens in the league.

We'll still see players who can body check, rub guys out along the boards, and play physical hockey. But we don't need head-hunting. And Stevens would have been just as good a player without the elbows to the head - the guy could play hockey.

This 'keep your head up' stuff is dumb. No matter how skilled these guys are, they will sometimes need to look down at their feet, and they will sometimes not be aware of another player closing in from a blind spot.

codynw
10-04-2015, 03:10 PM
I'd be fine with an 82 game suspension. Get this piece of garbage out of the NHL.

Erick Estrada
10-04-2015, 03:27 PM
This 'keep your head up' stuff is dumb. No matter how skilled these guys are, they will sometimes need to look down at their feet, and they will sometimes not be aware of another player closing in from a blind spot.

Yep this knuckle dragging mentality has no room in any sport as we are seeing retired players battling with post concussion syndrome as well as depression. The NFL now has the defenceless hit on a receiver major penalty because it's been proven that any human being not prepared for a major blow can suffer a brain injury. There should never be a case where an unaware player is put in a position that he can take a major head shot.

I want to be entertained by these guys but I don't want them to put their lives on the line for my entertainment purposes.

GoJetsGo
10-04-2015, 03:29 PM

Honestly, what is wrong with you?

Watch it again, in case you some how (inexplicably) missed it:

You say you're familiar with Torres and his history, you see that blatant, negligent hit clearly targeting the head, and still manage to ramble out the rest of the absolute trife in that post?

Unreal. :rolleyes:

Mike F
10-04-2015, 03:43 PM
This hit was barely a glancing blow but people are crying like he decapitated Silfverberg, who was admiring his pass and not aware of the players around him.
The hit was "barely a glancing blow" because all he contacted was the head. That's the problem!!!

Had Torres "kept him honest" and totally leveled Silfverberg with a full body, shoulder-to-shoulder hit, a la Ferland, it would have been applauded. But it wasn't. It was shoulder directly to, and only to, the head.

Do you not see a difference?

Five-hole
10-04-2015, 03:46 PM

I'm gonna pile on because this is one of the worst posts on this board in a while. In addition to what everyone else has said, the last statement really has me shaking my head. How does the phenomenon that people treat their home town guys more favorably have anything to do with whether this hit was legal? Fans are fans. Vancouver fans were defending Bertuzzi on Moore. That doesn't reflect on the act whatsoever.

This was a dirty hit by a guy who deserves not one millimeter of slack on his rope.

OldSam
10-04-2015, 03:47 PM
I hate Raffi Torres. Get him out of the NHL already.

Azure
10-04-2015, 07:08 PM
Not sure why the NHL let him still play after the last one. What exactly does he contribute to the league?

Nothing.

Scornfire
10-05-2015, 12:08 AM
Can we start a petition or something? so sick of this idiot being in the league

smoothessence
10-05-2015, 12:15 AM
Kadri 4 games for hit to the head (E=NG still)

783651&catid=60

Rinaldo 8 games for charging/boarding/hit from behind after "seeing only Letang's numbers for considerable time and distance"

736780&catid=60

Volchenkov 4 games for hit to the head (Ferland)

660734&catid=60

Going to be dependent on the severity of the injury as always and based on past history.

Most likely 25-30 games.

smoothessence
10-05-2015, 12:24 AM
Torres' past suspensions for hits to the head

Rest of playoffs

25 games

MoBiBu
10-05-2015, 12:41 AM
The almighty dollar sadly. If a player is injured the players still get paid, however suspended players are done so without pay. The incentive structure really needs to be updated imo

Player A suspended for hit on Player B:

1) Player A's pay during suspension is forfeited to Player B
2) Player A's team suplements pay to Player B by some % depending on number of suspensions given to players on that team in recent seasons

MissTeeks
10-05-2015, 02:31 PM
NHL Player Safety ‏@NHLPlayerSafety2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/651131710688530432)

San Jose's Raffi Torres has been suspended 41 games for an illegal check to the head and interference. Video: http://ow.ly/2bvCax (http://t.co/0Z9kgVAMyq)

calf
10-05-2015, 02:32 PM
41 games per TSN

Gaudfather
According to TSN Torres has been suspended for 41 games - good riddance Torres!

codynw
Not enough.

Mattman
10-05-2015, 02:33 PM
Step in the right direction! Good job NHL

Jacks
10-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Would have preferred a lifetime suspension considering he past.

dammage79
10-05-2015, 02:35 PM
41 games. Excellent. Repeat offenders like Torres deserve this. Glad the hammer was dropped.

devo22
less than he deserves, but more than I expected. Not bad.

Erick Estrada
Would have preferred a lifetime suspension considering he past.

I like the suspension but we will see how much gets taken off when the NHLPA appeals. Does the NHL have the power to hand out a lifetime suspension? I doubt it.

Crumpy-Gunt
10-05-2015, 02:36 PM
That's stupid. This tells players they can throw 10 dirty hits in a couple of years and only face a 41 game suspension on the 10th hit. Ban him already

old-fart
10-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Guy is a major d-bag of a hockey player and the sooner him and his ilk (hello Matt Cooke) are officially out of the league, the better.

Locke
10-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Wow. Good job NHL.

Sever, but not severe enough to land them in PA hot water.

The Wheel of Justice got it just about right this time.

I dont know about any of you but I was surprised Raffi was still in the NHL.

CroFlames
10-05-2015, 02:38 PM
In my opinion, this spells basically a lifetime ban for him. The club doesn't want to keep a guy who obviously never learned his lesson and so at the end of the suspension, they'll likely assign him to the minors and no other club will touch him ever after.

That was probably his last game in the NHL.

codynw
10-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Wow. Good job NHL.

Sever, but not severe enough to land them in PA hot water.

The Wheel of Justice got it just about right this time.

I dont know about any of you but I was surprised Raffi was still in the NHL.

Didn't play at all last year. And only a handful of games the year before.

Gaudfather
10-05-2015, 02:39 PM
I like the suspension but we will see how much gets taken off when the NHLPA appeals. Does the NHL have the power to hand out a lifetime suspension? I doubt it.

The NHLPA would look like idiots to appeal this - given Torres is out trying to purposely shorten or end the careers of other NHLPA players.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
10-05-2015, 02:41 PM
That's stupid. This tells players they can throw 10 dirty hits in a couple of years and only face a 41 game suspension on the 10th hit. Ban him already
I think you are underestimating the severity of this punishment, not that I don't agree I'd like to have seen more, I think the NHL showed a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, especially with a union lurking around and looking for precedence on these type of rulings you can't erase all the mistakes of the past (talking about the NHL being to light on Torres and others up to this point) on one incident or with one ruling. All you can do is take big steps in the right directions, I'd call this that.

codynw
10-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Does anyone know how Silfverberg is doing? I haven't heard anything about him.

dino7c
10-05-2015, 02:42 PM
41 games is a lot, I get the whole lifetime ban thing but realistically that would never fly with the PA/lawyers ect.

Stay Golden
10-05-2015, 02:42 PM
41 games outstanding decision by NHL player safety.
1/2 a season is a just decision based on his lengthy rapsheet of just pure idiot behavior!
Well done Brian Leech.

Jason14h
10-05-2015, 02:43 PM
I agree that we will never see him in the NHL again.

devo22
10-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Does anyone know how Silfverberg is doing? I haven't heard anything about him.
according to the video that explains the suspension, he didn't return to the game for precautionary reasons, but apparently wasn't injured on the play. He didn't practise today though, so who knows if that's true.

Locke
10-05-2015, 02:45 PM
41 games is a lot, I get the whole lifetime ban thing but realistically that would never fly with the PA/lawyers ect.

Guys, this basically is a lifetime ban in everything but name.

25 games sewered this guy's career, 41 games is going to effectively end it.

Scornfire
10-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Wait, according to that video he's NOT considered a repeat offender? What the everloving #### does it take to be one then?

KootenayFlamesFan
10-05-2015, 02:49 PM
After that many suspensions and that many head shots 41 games isn't enough. I understand people saying it effectively ends his career, but the NHL shouldn't have even left the door open a crack. Ban him for life, and battle the NHLPA over it if you have to.

devo22
10-05-2015, 02:49 PM
Wait, according to that video he's NOT considered a repeat offender? What the everloving #### does it take to be one then?
the NHL says you're a repeat offender if you're suspended twice in a span of 18 months. This doesn't apply to Torres in this case though because he missed over a season with an injury - his last suspension was in May 2013. However, they still factor in his history of suspensions when making a decision:

A Player is considered a repeat offender for 18 months following his most recent incident that resulted in a suspension. His status as a repeat offender in this category is used to determine the amount of salary forfeited should he receive another suspension.

It is important to note that even if a Player is not defined as a repeat offender, his past history may come into consideration when determining future Supplemental Discipline.http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=738846

Benched
10-05-2015, 02:52 PM
it's starting to hit the right mark, it just seems like the curve upward in suspension time is not quick enough. that was a long list of guys that were hit in the same manner...

re-watching the video and where he shrugs after the hit like 'come on! what was wrong with that?' got my blood boiling again.

41 - hugely strong message to the league at large that the headshots are serious business. probably not enough for this player though, and he shouldn't even have been playing before this hit given his history

CorsiHockeyLeague
10-05-2015, 02:57 PM

Only?!?

That's a massive, massive suspension. They got this one right.

Scornfire
10-05-2015, 02:57 PM
the NHL says you're a repeat offender if you're suspended twice in a span of 18 months. This doesn't apply to Torres in this case though because he missed over a season with an injury - his last suspension was in May 2013. However, they still factor in his history of suspensions when making a decision:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=738846

Seems more like a description for a "Recent Offender", but as long as his History is still factored in I guess it doesn't really matter. Either way, he and Cooke can be gone yesterday imo

Bmuzyka
10-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Now, correct me if I am wrong, but San Jose can still dress a complete roster correct? Maybe, we should punish teams who dress these wreck less players. Maybe make a team work with one less roster spot for the duration of a player suspension. I doubt that would ever happen, but it might keep coaches in check who might send out a goon to rough someone up.

SuperMatt18
10-05-2015, 03:10 PM
Good.

I agree that the teams that employ these idiots need to get some type of punishment as well.

I like the roster aspect, have a suspended player on the roster, well you are down to a 22 man roster for the next 41 games then.

Also they should increase the penalty where the team has to pay the same amount of the suspended value to the other team. Thanks for employing this idiot San Jose...now write a $441k cheque to the Ducks.

Enoch Root
10-05-2015, 03:12 PM

I would venture to guess that there is not a single player anywhere who is currently thinking: sweet - I can commit 10 suspend-able infractions before they give me a 41 gamer!

nik-
10-05-2015, 03:13 PM
Sharks should be punished too. It's time to start discouraging teams from signing these idiots in a way that's more heavy handed than a suspended player. Obviously it's not working as these plugs keep finding their way onto rosters.

IgiTang
10-05-2015, 03:14 PM
If Torres missing a season due to injury is counted in his time accounted for repeat offender status, that rule needs to be changed.

Make it 182 regular season games excluding playoffs. Forces a player to be accountable for 2 seasons actually played.

Locke
10-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Sharks should be punished too. It's time to start discouraging teams from signing these idiots in a way that's more heavy handed than a suspended player. Obviously it's not working as these plugs keep finding their way onto rosters.

You mean a punishment more than the occasional Forensic Investigation by Eugene Melnyk?

Enoch Root
10-05-2015, 03:20 PM

Not sure how it actually does work in this regard (maybe someone can jump in), but one way to punish the team is to make it so that the suspended player remains on the 23 man roster and their cap hit continues to count.

In this case, that would mean that SJ would effectively have to run with a 22 man roster for half the season. That would be a pretty stiff penalty for them.

TurdFerguson
10-05-2015, 03:31 PM
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j463/nitetothemare/TorresSeesYou.gif

GioforPM
10-05-2015, 03:32 PM
Not sure how it actually does work in this regard (maybe someone can jump in), but one way to punish the team is to make it so that the suspended player remains on the 23 man roster and their cap hit continues to count.

In this case, that would mean that SJ would effectively have to run with a 22 man roster for half the season. That would be a pretty stiff penalty for them.

I like this a lot. It makes intuitive sense - sign a dirty player, that's the contract you live with, suspensions and all.

Meers
10-05-2015, 03:43 PM
An appropriate ban for a serial head hunter.

Jordan!
10-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Almost feel bad for how stupid he is.

Mike F
10-05-2015, 04:09 PM
according to the video that explains the suspension, he didn't return to the game for precautionary reasons, but apparently wasn't injured on the play. He didn't practise today though, so who knows if that's true.
That's part of why I'm pleasantly surprised by the suspension - it says that the league didn't care what the effect of the hit was. Just throwing the hit was egregious enough to warrant the 3rd longest suspension in league history.

cKy
10-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Good.

I agree that the teams that employ these idiots need to get some type of punishment as well.

I like the roster aspect, have a suspended player on the roster, well you are down to a 22 man roster for the next 41 games then.

Also they should increase the penalty where the team has to pay the same amount of the suspended value to the other team. Thanks for employing this idiot San Jose...now write a $441k cheque to the Ducks.

I'd rather the funds from suspensions based on injury go to the players fund and research on concussions/recovery to assist players as well.

greentree
10-05-2015, 04:37 PM
Some of the blame has to go to the teams that employ dirty players like Cooke and Torres.
100% yes.

That said, I'll wager Torres is done, finished. Finally.

Jay Random
10-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Well, Torres knocked Silfverberg's head halfway off, and got suspended for half a season.

Now we know what the penalty for decapitation would be.

terryclancy
10-05-2015, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=Mattman;5443488]The only reason fighting should be in hockey to allow people to beat the #### out of dirty players like Torres. Get him out of the game NHL! He's injuring your young and star players.[/

I've always regretted that the zebras threw Torres and John Scott out of that Vancouver-Chicago playoff game a few years back before Scott had a chance to pummel Torres for the leaping blindside head hit he delivered to one of the Blackhawks' star d-men.

Resolute 14
10-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Mike Commodore is of the opinion that the suspension was too long. He's getting totally lit up on Twitter, heh.

10-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Terrible hit, and nothing new for Torres.

It's annoying that players like him are still "relevant" in the game today.

You know you're dirty when Don Cherry calls you out ...
-LRTk6Nd1ug

The funny thing is, back in his draft year, Torres was compared to Cherry's love Wendel Clark, who i'm quite fond of as well, but who in today's NHL would have faced suspension a lot as well for his hits.

It's funny who Cherry likes or dislikes. It really depends on who a player injures. Torres must've injured one of Cherry's favourites and therefore never got any love from him.

Ferland SHOULD have got a lot of love from Cherry last year, but I don't recall Cherry doing any special montage for him or even talking favourably about him. I think it was because Ferland owned one of Cherry's current favourites, Bieksa.

schooner
10-05-2015, 06:38 PM
I'd rather the funds from suspensions based on injury go to the players fund and research on concussions/recovery to assist players as well.

Someone can correct me but I believe the forfeited salary from suspensions funds the NHL Substance Abuse program. Either that or NHL sponsored charities (ie Hockey Fights Cancer). Cant remember exactly but something like that.

Resolute 14
10-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Goes to the players' pension plan, iirc.

combustiblefuel
10-05-2015, 07:41 PM
Someone can correct me but I believe the forfeited salary from suspensions funds the NHL Substance Abuse program. Either that or NHL sponsored charities (ie Hockey Fights Cancer). Cant remember exactly but something like that.

Goes to the players' pension plan, iirc.

It goes to the NHL's players' emergency assistance fund.

Heres an article about it.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7556335/the-nhl-players-emergency-assistance-fund-getting-boost-brendan-shanahan-fines

To track the evolution of the players' emergency assistance fund -- which is intended to provided money to former players or their families who are down on their luck -- is in many ways to track the evolution of the league itself.

In 1992-93, the fund received a boost when the league decided that the players, who had always been suspended without pay, would instead forfeit that amount of their salary to the emergency fund. The change was made in part to ensure that teams weren't secretly paying the players during their suspensions. (This was also when professional advisers started overseeing the fund.) T

chemgear
10-05-2015, 07:42 PM
41 games is going to effectively end it.

Good.

TheChief
10-05-2015, 08:04 PM
One thing I can say is at least it showed it him answering the bell when he destroyed Eberle with his head down. I can respect him for that.

Matt Cooke never answered the bell for anything that's why I rate him as a bigger piece.

codynw
10-05-2015, 08:29 PM
One thing I can say is at least it showed it him answering the bell when he destroyed Eberle with his head down. I can respect him for that.

Matt Cooke never answered the bell for anything that's why I rate him as a bigger piece.

Cooke fought Thornton the first time he played Boston after the Savard hit.

Serapth
10-05-2015, 08:51 PM
The funny thing is, back in his draft year, Torres was compared to Cherry's love Wendel Clark, who i'm quite fond of as well, but who in today's NHL would have faced suspension a lot as well for his hits.

It's funny who Cherry likes or dislikes. It really depends on who a player injures. Torres must've injured one of Cherry's favourites and therefore never got any love from him.

Ferland SHOULD have got a lot of love from Cherry last year, but I don't recall Cherry doing any special montage for him or even talking favourably about him. I think it was because Ferland owned one of Cherry's current favourites, Bieksa.

Trying to apply logic to the ravings of a geriatric lunatic is seldom a productive activity.

Fire of the Phoenix
10-05-2015, 09:05 PM
Kudos to the NHL, this is more than I expected and fully deserved. I really hope the NHLPA does the right thing and refuses to support any appeal.

Dion
10-05-2015, 11:35 PM
He should have been banned from the NHL. It's clear Torres has learned zip from his previous suspensions.

Locke
10-05-2015, 11:43 PM
Good.

No arguments here.

The thing is, its more complicated than that. You cant just 'ban him for life' because his union is going to fight for him tooth and nail, they have to, its their job.

So a severe suspension based on his precedents is defensible within reason. So I think the league got it bang on. Torres gets suspended and the PA has an out to shrug their shoulders and say its legit and theres nothing they can do.

Its win/win/win.

Wormius
10-06-2015, 12:16 AM
He could use some kind of psychiatric evaluation. Is he just impulsive and can't stop himself, or does he think the team is expecting him to make these stupid plays?

He has been given way too much leniency in the past, he is really just occupying the spot that some other talented up and coming NHLer could benefit from. As such the Shark's GM should be ashamed for his signing.

Northendzone
10-06-2015, 07:50 AM
this really hurts my pool.....

i wonder if he has to explan to his wife how he won't be getting paid for the next couple of months

DownhillGoat
10-06-2015, 08:25 AM
the NHL shouldn't have even left the door open a crack. Ban him for life, and battle the NHLPA over it if you have to.
So on the flip side of that, let's say the NHL gives him a lifetime suspension. What happens next? NHLPA says "you can't do that", appeals, wins, and he gets 0 games and retroactive pay. He's now learned nothing and had little consequence, and can still play virtually a full season in his contract year.

The NHL made the right call here IMO. Takes him out of enough of the season that his career is likely finished. Say there's a 10% chance of him playing after this now, vs the uncertainty that the NHLPA would win an appeal and he's back in the league if the lifetime suspension fails? I'd say the way they went has a better chance of ending his career.

Komskies
10-06-2015, 08:36 AM
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j463/nitetothemare/TorresSeesYou.gif

I thought I was fataing losing it when his eyes started moving around.

chemgear
10-07-2015, 12:06 PM
He could use some kind of psychiatric evaluation. Is he just impulsive and can't stop himself, or does he think the team is expecting him to make these stupid plays?

Or simply he's a terrible human being who just happens to play hockey.

UOTlhWVePtE

guzzy
10-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Ginger, he has no soul

Superfraggle
10-08-2015, 07:45 AM
Not appealing the suspension

http://www.tsn.ca/sharks-torres-will-not-appeal-suspension-1.373358

Coach
10-08-2015, 08:09 AM
I've always maintained that suspended players should take a roster spot. I think it would be the best way to get guys like this out of the game, and curb dirty plays in general.

Poe969
10-08-2015, 08:21 AM
I agree that there should be some kind of extra penalty against the team, a roster spot is a good idea. Maybe something else against the cap or some way that makes teams think twice before signing guys like Torres and any other dirty player that doesn't bring anything else to the table.

You knew the sharks didn't sign him because of his scoring ability or leadership, the guy is a complete hygiene product.

Flash Walken
10-08-2015, 09:34 AM
Suspended players should count against the cap and also count as a roster spot.

Generally, the team impacted has lost a roster player and are down the cap space.

Jay Random
10-08-2015, 06:16 PM
What happens if a team has four players suspended at one time? Do they have to dress 19 for their games?

Enoch Root
10-08-2015, 06:26 PM
What happens if a team has four players suspended at one time? Do they have to dress 19 for their games?

If a team had 4 players suspended at the same time, that should be the least of their sanctions.

Jay Random
10-08-2015, 07:39 PM
If a team had 4 players suspended at the same time, that should be the least of their sanctions.

Fair enough, just asking.

Because, you know, that's the sort of thing that could potentially result from, for instance, starting a game against the Vancouver Canucks with a line brawl. :whistle:

4X4
10-08-2015, 10:53 PM
Fair enough, just asking.

Because, you know, that's the sort of thing that could potentially result from, for instance, starting a game against the Vancouver Canucks with a line brawl. :whistle:

TFB. Even if it's the Flames. I know you're kidding, but the joke is whether Flames fans would still support such a rule if it affected the Flames. Yes, I would. I was (lack of a better word) horrified when Marchment became a Flame. I would rather that players like him and Torres and Cooke were such a management gamble, that teams would rather fill out their lineup with someone like Glencross.

Should be a roster spot and the cap hit. If soccer can play with 10 guys on the field after a red card, hockey can play with 22 man bench after a punk like Torres endangers someone else's career. And if it's for half a season, let that be a lesson to the rest of the league. You are the company you keep, and equally guilty.

What I really don't understand is why players haven't ever risen up and demanded something like this.

AcGold
10-08-2015, 11:20 PM
Of course I'd support the rule against our own team, when Tim Jackman was on our team going around spearing people like an idiot it infuriated me. Whatever it takes to get stupid untalented players that do stupid things to make an impact out of the league is good.