PDA

View Full Version : [News] Oilers waive Scrivens

sureLoss
10-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers
The #Oilers have placed goaltender Ben Scrivens on waivers for the purpose of assignment.

RedHot25
10-04-2015, 10:02 AM
I wonder if he throws the jersey this time.

Samonadreau
10-04-2015, 10:03 AM
New regime putting their stamp on things. Scrivens never had a chance with that D in front of him last year.

kyuss275
10-04-2015, 10:04 AM
What's his contract like? Wondering if he is cheap and Tampa Bay might be interested in him as the back-up? Can't see Tampa wanting an expensive 1B goalie from the flames.

sureLoss
10-04-2015, 10:05 AM
1yr left $2.3 million cap hit

badger89
10-04-2015, 10:06 AM
I'm surprised they wouldn't just keep him as backup. He didn't seem that bad. More of a reflection of the team in front of him.

keratosis
10-04-2015, 10:06 AM
Another one bites the dust.

codynw
10-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Just like Dubnyk, Scrivens was never the problem. Talbot will probably be on waivers next year too

RedHot25
I can't think of his name - Nilsson? - but it sounded like he was having a good enough camp to take the back up role?

Weitz
I'm surprised they wouldn't just keep him as backup. He didn't seem that bad. More of a reflection of the team in front of him.

Was out played by the other 2 goalies.

transplant99
So that makes the back up...Nilsson?

Yikes.

btimbit
10-04-2015, 10:11 AM
Dawn. Anyone looking for a backup might take this vs a trade for one of our more expensive 1B guys.

kyuss275
1yr left $2.3 million cap hit

Well at least he has a good agent. Not sure how he ever got that kind of money?

sureLoss
General Fanager @generalfanager
Nikitin and Scrivens both in the AHL combine for $6.8M in salary, the Oilers would have $4.9M on the cap as buried.

bob-loblaw
10-04-2015, 10:12 AM
I thought he didn't let in a goal in the pre-season?

neo45
10-04-2015, 10:12 AM
I think he is a capable NHL backup but I'm not sure if a team wants a backup for 2.3 million

The Fonz
10-04-2015, 10:14 AM
Exciting news. I can't wait for him to go to another team and outperform Talbot.

Unfortunately though, we've learned the Oiler recovery program typically takes a year to complete.

Rejean31
10-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Scrivezina??? On waivers??

Sylvanfan
10-04-2015, 10:16 AM
So thats 6.8 million dollars of Katz's money that MacTavish spent in the minors....and they didn't fire him?

sureLoss
10-04-2015, 10:24 AM
So thats 6.8 million dollars of Katz's money that MacTavish spent in the minors....and they didn't fire him?

Mark Spector @SportsnetSpec
. @generalfanager Don't forget the $3.25 for a No. 7 Dman in Ference. That's $10M in salary, $8.15M in cap space on 3 players not playing.

kyuss275
10-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Mark Spector @SportsnetSpec
. @generalfanager Don't forget the $3.25 for a No. 7 Dman in Ference. That's $10M in salary, $8.15M in cap space on 3 players not playing.

MacT has to have pictures of Katz doing something illegal.:D I just don't see how he is still collecting a pay cheque? lol

keratosis
10-04-2015, 10:26 AM
I'm going to miss the Klown show.[emoji22]

FlamesAddiction
10-04-2015, 10:27 AM
Just like Dubnyk, Scrivens was never the problem. Talbot will probably be on waivers next year too

Maybe he wasn't the problem, but he wasn't the solution either. He is a fringe NHLer at best.

I think it's possible a team claims him. Maybe a team like San Jose will give him a shot instead of giving up an asset for a goalie.

browna
10-04-2015, 10:29 AM
So thats 6.8 million dollars of Katz's money that Lowe spent in the minors....and they didn't fire him?

FYP. Lowe did this with Souray too, when Souray complained about the Oilers medical staff not properly treating him and the front office ignoring him after pushing him to come back early from his injury.

It was pretty clear throughout the last tenure that Lowe pulled all the strings, he just needed a patsy fall guy to do the day to day talking as a mouth piece, and do the dirty work like embarrassingly stand on the bench beside Nelson for a half dozen games.

The fact that I don't think Lowe has spoken publicly since getting demoted in June is almost beyond belief. No matter how tight the muzzle (ie "keep quiet and we'll continue to pay you"), Lowe's ego is far too big to be able to just stand back and see the keys taken away from him suddenly for a team he had under his finger for over a decade; I'm sure in his mind he's taking full credit for any incremental success this year.

I think PC and maybe Katz has realized the subservient role MacT played the last couple years, and they feel a slight bit sorry for him (never mind he's still under contract), and they'd rather have him as the "link" to the "old" team, than want to bring Lowe and his toxic opinion back into the mix in the offices/behind the scenes.

pseudoreality
10-04-2015, 10:30 AM
Nilsson didn't let in a goal in preseason. Tough to send him down. I'm going to say there is probably a 25% chance Scrivens gets claimed. He's proven to be a serviceable back-up when playing behind an NHL caliber defense. The problem is he makes too much for a back-up.

Street Pharmacist
10-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Was out played by the other 2 goalies.
Honest question. Scrivens has better numbers at every level outside 120 preseason minutes. Is that enough?

Enoch Root
10-04-2015, 10:37 AM
So the Oilers are going to go with a tandem of Talbot and Nilsson.

So you trade for Talbot, okay. Young guy with good stats, payed his dues in the AHL. Only 57 NHL games, but no problem there. Has earned his chance.

Here's the problem: you go with a backup that has only played 23 NHL games. A guy that couldn't crack the Islanders lineup - the team with the worst goaltending in the history of the NHL - and who thus ran off to the KHL last year.

This just epitomizes the Oilers organization. Neither Talbot nor Nilsson is a bad decision on their own, but going with both of them is practically begging for disaster.

Where's the leadership? Where's the mentoring? Where's the strategy of putting your players in a position to succeed?

Nope. The greatest path to success is through failure.

Lanny_McDonald
10-04-2015, 10:39 AM
I'm going to miss the Klown show.[emoji22]

Same show, they've just added new members to the Klown Kar. ;)

Enoch Root
10-04-2015, 10:40 AM
Honest question. Scrivens has better numbers at every level outside 120 preseason minutes. Is that enough?

Exactly.

Nilsson should be getting minutes in the A, with Scrivens providing veteran backup for Talbot.

Nope. Treat your players like crap and give the job to a new guy that played well in a couple of pre-season games.

trackercowe
10-04-2015, 10:42 AM
Yeesh, I thought for sure they would keep Scrivens around just as a layer of security in case Talbot isn't ready for a spot at the starter. So instead of throwing in Tablot into the wolves it would have been more of a 1A/1B situation like in Calgary.

Now they're going to try and start Talbot in 60-65 games this year, for a guy who's only been in the league two years and only came in for relief duty last year when Lundqvist was hurt. Granted he looked good, but that was in front of a stacked defensive core, and often goalies that look good in relief never pan out... just like Scrivens covering for Quick's injury woes a few years ago. I honestly foresee the same thing happening once again.

Bandwagon In Flames
10-04-2015, 10:48 AM
The Oilers are 2nd to none when it comes to setting themselves up for failure.

tvp2003
10-04-2015, 10:57 AM
The Oilers are 2nd to none when it comes to setting themselves up for failure.

Make no mistake, like his predecessors, Talbot will be given full opportunity to crash and burn this season. It's the Oiler way.

GranteedEV
10-04-2015, 11:30 AM

I have to imagine Boston was aggressively scouting guys like Talbot, Reinhart, Nilsson, and Laurikainen when Chiarelli was there, so maybe it is along with his KHL numbers. For reference, Ramo in his best KHL year was a .929 in 40 games and Nilsson`s coming off a 0.936 over 38.

Sometimes it`s more than numbers, it`s what you see on the ice too. Maybe Nilsson`s shown strong fundamentals, which would be an automatic improvement over floppy scrivens. And there`s the fact that Nilsson is 6`5`` and can stop some shots just by being tall. An over-the-shoulder snipe like that Chiarot goal yesterday probably doesn`t even go in on a worse, but bigger goaltender. That's why a lot of us are excited about McDonald and Gillies, no?

I think the Oilers made the right move waiving Scrivens. Talbot is their starter (and the guy along with Dubnyk I was hoping we picked up in the offseason before they did =/ ) and Nilsson their backup. If Nilsson or Talbot fail, well, it's not like Scrivens would have succeeded anyways - they've already been down that road.

And if Nilsson's just atrocious, Scrivens is still a good third stringer they can call up.

savardandjokinen
10-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Nilsson is talented; just like every European...

schteve_d
10-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Hopefully he gets picked up and gets Vezina consideration next season.

Robo
10-04-2015, 12:33 PM
oilers destroy another goalie career...hope he gets back on his feet playing in front of a real team again not that gong show what a pathetic bunch of players... oh well next up Talbot

Vinny01
10-04-2015, 12:40 PM
Could the Oulers and Flames be trade partners with Edmonton having interest in Hillernor Ramo?

sharkov
10-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Scrivens for vezina 2016!

DownhillGoat
10-04-2015, 01:22 PM
And there`s the fact that Nilsson is 6`5`` and can stop some shots just by being tall.
Worked wonders for Henrik Karlsson

Weitz
10-04-2015, 01:30 PM

Fair. But what's the point in having a compition in camp if you won't send down the worst player?

Street Pharmacist
10-04-2015, 01:32 PM
Fair. But what's the point in having a compition in camp if you won't send down the worst player?
True I suppose. Plus Scrivens want good last year, but I feel like Carey Price would've been terrible too

Badgers Nose
10-04-2015, 01:33 PM
I was at the famous Oilers Sharks game. I agree with others, he will bounce back Dubnyk style somewhere.

Weitz
10-04-2015, 01:39 PM
True I suppose. Plus Scrivens want good last year, but I feel like Carey Price would've been terrible too

I don't think anyone is denying that haha

Hatter
10-04-2015, 01:40 PM
I hope he gets claimed and lands somewhere. I had the pleasure of meeting him and his wife at the Ronald McDonald House in Edmonton last year, and they were both incredibly nice people who lend a ton of time and effort to many charitable causes.

Oiler or not, he's one of the good ones.

Ozy_Flame
10-04-2015, 01:42 PM
Dude has a sweet Alexisonfire mask and he's a genuinely good person. I hope someone claims him, he deserves better.

dammage79
10-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Nilsson has been very very solid. Not surprised at all he won the back up role.

Good for Scrivens, he'll be getting his prison release sometime soon.

Hemi-Cuda
10-04-2015, 01:46 PM
I hope that Minnesota claims him and he goes on to win the Jennings with Dubnyk

getbak
10-04-2015, 02:22 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Arizona put in a claim. Lindback did not have a good preseason with a 4.37 GAA.

neo45
10-04-2015, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Arizona put in a claim. Lindback did not have a good preseason with a 4.37 GAA.

That would be awesome for Scrivens career because Smith is probably the easiest starter in the league to usurp

Calgary4LIfe
10-04-2015, 02:33 PM
I think there are probably a number of teams that would take Scrivens in a backup role at the moment. Hope he gets claimed. Seemed like a good guy that cared a lot.

Dion
10-04-2015, 02:37 PM
From HF Oilers

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/476778111925624832/9jYlAcNt_normal.jpegTerry Jones

✔@sunterryjones
Oil better? Count da ways. Scrivens. Nikitin. Acton. Fasth. Aulie. Hunt. Joensuu. Pinizzatto. Fraser and, who am I missing? Oh yeah. Eakins.
10:34 AM - 4 Oct 2015 (https://twitter.com/sunterryjones/status/650710549089529858)

List of players (19) brought in to play in the NHL for the Oilers:

Acton: Europe
Aulie: UFA
Belov: Europe
Bryzgalov: UFA (retired?)
Fasth: Europe
Ference: #7 defenseman at best
Mark Fraser: AHL (Ottawa)
Matt Fraser: AHL (Winnipeg)
Gazdic: 4th liner, probably not a full time player
Gordon: Arizona
Grebeshkov: Europe
Joensuu: Europe
Klinkhammer: 4th liner, may not be a full time player
LaBarbera: AHL (Philadelphia)
Larsen: Europe
Nikitin: AHL
Perron: Pittsburgh
Roy: PTO with Washington
Scrivens: AHL

In two years as GM MacT added four players who are still regulars on the Oilers (Fayne, Hendricks, Pouliot, and Purcell).

Erick Estrada
10-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Scrivens has shown to be at least adequate in a backup role and $2.3 million is fair money for a serviceable backup. Not exactly sure why they wouldn't keep him as backup unless he's got an attitude issue and they want him away from the team. I realize the new regime is putting their stamp on the team but this seems a little unnecessary.

Enoch Root
10-04-2015, 02:56 PM
I hope he gets claimed for two reasons:

1) to eliminate the Oiler's backup plan for when the inevitable stumble happens with Talbot/Nilsson, and

2) to see yet another ex-Oilers goalie put up better numbers after escaping that crapshow

Flames Draft Watcher
10-04-2015, 03:04 PM
MacT's genius being exposed yet again. They needed a starter bad. Dump Dubnyk and pick up Scrivens and Fasth who are both terrible. Too bad he isn't still running the show.

Textcritic
10-04-2015, 03:17 PM
MacT's genius being exposed yet again. They needed a starter bad. Dump Dubnyk and pick up Scrivens and Fasth who are both terrible. Too bad he isn't still running the show.
Perhaps we will come to regret it, but I do not think the Oilers are any better heading into this season in goal. Fasth and Scrivens had over 100 games of NHL experience coming into last season, while Talbot (57 games) and Nilsson (23 games) have a combined total of 80.

Same old story: cycle through backup goaltenders with the faint hope of finding a bona fide starter.

Sylvanfan
10-04-2015, 03:26 PM
The good news is that OKC has to be a better place to live than Edmonton.

getbak
10-04-2015, 04:00 PM
The good news is that OKC has to be a better place to live than Edmonton.

Bakersfield.

MisterJoji
10-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Bakersfield.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/BBVoIs40IXXBS/giphy.gif

Can confirm, I'd rather live there than Edmonton. Source: I live in Edmonton.

Sylvanfan
10-04-2015, 04:57 PM
I only work in Edmonton....that picture of Bakersfield does look nicer than most of Edmonton.

vilzeh
10-04-2015, 05:08 PM
I hope that Minnesota claims him and he goes on to win the Jennings with Dubnyk

I won't lie.. I would love to see this happen. :D

MoneyGuy
10-04-2015, 05:18 PM
I hope he gets claimed and lands somewhere. I had the pleasure of meeting him and his wife at the Ronald McDonald House in Edmonton last year, and they were both incredibly nice people who lend a ton of time and effort to many charitable causes.

Oiler or not, he's one of the good ones.

I met Scrivens and the missus at McHappy Days. Jenny is also a goalie. (Cue the goalie jokes.)

Hockey Fan #751
10-04-2015, 05:58 PM
MacT has to have pictures of Katz doing something illegal.:D I just don't see how he is still collecting a pay cheque? lol

Problem is whether he would have been fired or not, he'd still be collecting a paycheque. May as well put him to good use, like carrying Chiarelli's luggage around or whatever he does.

McG
10-04-2015, 08:21 PM
vegas has probably stopped taking bets on Scrivens getting the Vezina next season.

CaptainCrunch
10-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Problem is whether he would have been fired or not, he'd still be collecting a paycheque. May as well put him to good use, like carrying Chiarelli's luggage around or whatever he does.

Are you kidding, you don't understand how this works. If the Oilers have any success whatsoever, Katz will be looking to redeem Lowe and Mac-T that's why they're still in the organization.

Its not like Mac-T has been shuffled away from hockey decisions, he has a senior role within the organization.

The Oilers are run like a bad WWE storyline, wait for the heel turn where Mac-T takes credit for being the architect if the Oilers turn it around.

icarus
10-05-2015, 06:21 AM
Well Lowe and MacT are to thank for McDavid...

CaptainCrunch
10-05-2015, 09:51 AM
I just see this whole scene that's like wrestlemania if the Oilers ever have any success, so this is likely to happen in 2017 or 18.

The new building is sold out, there's a buzz in the crowd. Chia comes out to address the crowd.

He lifts the microphone to his mouth and begins to speak about the great year that the Oilers are having and how improved they are and how they're maybe going to sneak into 9th spot in the west which is amazing.

Suddenly the lights go out and that song "Money" begins to play. A bunch of pyro goes off as Katz struts down to center ice followed by Lowe and Mac-T who have smug grins on their face.

Katz - "Come on Chia, its time to clarify some things here, it was never about you, it was about us, you were there to be the face of the management team, but I know and you know, and all of these Katzemaniacs out there know that the real brains of the organization are standing behind me"

Chia - "Wait what are you talking about, I'm the GM I'm the . . . "

Katz (yelling) - "Shut up, the number one draft picks, that was these guys"

Lowe starts cranking his neck and flexing his old dude pecks while he tightens the bandana covering his bald spot. Mac-T calmly chews on a tooth pick"

Katz - "What did you do? You bought in a middle pairing guy to play top minutes, you bought in a back up goalie, you did nothing, it was all of the number one draft picks that we accumulated that have made us a 9th place team in the West"

Lowe - "Like a Vipa"

Mac-T leans in and throws his tooth pick in Chia's face.

Katz - "Look brother, you were just here to make people think that Lowe and Mac-T weren't running things, but they were and they are. Chia your services are no longer required"

Chia -"What"

Katz - "You're fired"

The fans start booing as Lowe kicks Chia in the junk, and Mac-T jumps in and gives him the MacStunner". Katz points at the audience and yells.

Katz - "MAC-T"

Mac-T - "What"

Katz smacks him in the man boobs and yells"

Katz - "GET THE TABLE"

The crowd growns at this clear ripoff. Lowe and Mac-T set up a folding table and then slam Chia through it. Katz grabs the microphone.

Katz - "It was us, us all along, and you fans can go %%%% yourselves, welcome to the Old School Order"

"Money" starts playing again as Katz and Lowe and Mac-T strut to the back raising their middle fingers to the fans. The camera focuses in on Chia still lying unconcious on the broken table while Principe screams as the game goes off the air.

"Good Gawd, that man is broken in half, he's got a family, but the Old School Order is taking over the Oilyaz!!!"

Cali Panthers Fan
10-05-2015, 09:56 AM
^^^ As much as I love your intense hatred of the Oilers, please stop with the wrestling motifs.