PDA

View Full Version : [Rumour] Were the Flames after Stamkos?

speeds
10-02-2015, 03:39 PM
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/amid-speculation-and-rumors-steven-stamkos-focuses-on-lightning-season/2248125

Bandwagon In Flames
10-02-2015, 03:45 PM
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/amid-speculation-and-rumors-steven-stamkos-focuses-on-lightning-season/2248125

Did you read the article? Calgary was mentioned in the first paragraph and that's it. Stamkos strongly denied the rumor and that was that.

Article is complete speculation and just click bait. Just a way to sensationalize the boring topic of contract extensions.

Vinny01
10-02-2015, 03:51 PM
I couldn't imagine what we would have given up but salary and a guy like Bennett likely would have been going the other way

flambers
10-02-2015, 03:53 PM
I couldn't imagine what we would have given up but salary and a guy like Bennett likely would have been going the other way

Doubt any team is going to offer that much for a pending ufa.

Vinny01
10-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Doubt any team is going to offer that much for a pending ufa.

I doubt Tampa would give up one of the best goal scorers in the game who is 25 for anything less than a massive price

Caged Great
10-02-2015, 04:09 PM
It would be interesting to acquire him, but I would not sacrifice any of Brodie, Hamilton, Gaudreau, Monahan, or Bennett to do it. The good thing is that the Flames would have the assets to pull off a trade like that though.

He is a UFA after all and there would be no guarantee that he would want to come here.

That would be a huge add though if it were to become a reality. Shift him to RW and have him on the first line with Gaudreau and Monahan.

Fire of the Phoenix
10-02-2015, 04:16 PM
It would be interesting to acquire him, but I would not sacrifice any of Brodie, Hamilton, Gaudreau, Monahan, or Bennett to do it. The good thing is that the Flames would have the assets to pull off a trade like that though.

He is a UFA after all and there would be no guarantee that he would want to come here.

That would be a huge add though if it were to become a reality. Shift him to RW and have him on the first line with Gaudreau and Monahan.
I guess one of the biggest issues is they want him on RW in Tampa right now but Stamkos wants to play C

Badgers Nose
10-02-2015, 04:46 PM
I feel that despite his accomplishments he is kind of under rated. It would be great to see him in a big hockey market.

He breaks the Flames model, in terms of development, contender projection and money. Glad he did not end up here, as it would have taken a huge payment to get him, UFA or not.

blankall
10-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Honestly, after the Hamilton deal, I feel like we could get Stamkos for Brandon Bollig and a couple of buffet passes to the Chrysler Club Lobby.

btimbit
10-02-2015, 05:25 PM
I'm sure the rumour isn't completely unfounded, given Treliving's reputation they, have probably talked about it. As far as a deal ever being somewhat close though? No way

T@T
10-02-2015, 05:59 PM
Tampa's in a bit of a pickle, they are up against the cap, reports are Stamkos isn't too happy so I doubt any sort of discount will happen.

I can't imagine him signing for less than $11-12m long term.

JohnnySkittles
10-02-2015, 06:13 PM

No we don't. Getting Stamkos would cost at least Bennett ++

Fire of the Phoenix
10-02-2015, 07:43 PM
No we don't. Getting Stamkos would cost at least Bennett +

Name one trade in the last 10 years where a pending UFA was traded for a package that included a prospect as good as Bennett. Tampa will not be getting a Bennett-type back from anyone if they go down the trade route, historically there is no reason to think that. Granted a UFA as good as Stamkos hasn't really been traded (Hossa is the closest and look at that 'value'), so it is hard to say but one thing's for sure, it would be idiocy to trade a Bennett for 20-80 games of Steven Stamkos. Maybe an extended Stamkos gets you Bennett but no way, no how, if he's a pending UFA. I wouldn't even trade Bennett for one season of Sidney Crosby. That's just terrible planning unless it's going to guarantee you the cup (which it won't, obviously).

FWIW, hypothetically, I think Klimchuk+Poirier+1st+cap dump is a fair starting point (not that I would necessarily endorse it), but Bennett is on a whole other level...

It's interesting, TBL would really hurt their chances for the cup next year if they trade him but it would also hurt to lose him for nothing. They also can't really afford him $$$ wise with all the talent they have (the triplets and Hedman will need re-upped within 2 years). I don't think the odds are great that Stamkos is in Tampa this time next year, it's just a matter of which poison pill Yzerman wants to eat. He could always sign him of course, but that's just another poison pill that would likely cost them other players they might rather not lose.

Caged Great
10-02-2015, 07:53 PM
Joe Thornton returned Brad Stuart (#2 D-man) Marco Sturm (2nd liner) and Wayne Primeau (4th liner) and he was under contract at the time.

The Bolts do not need defensemen, so a trade of say Backlund + Poirier/Klimchuk + Hiller/Ramo + 1st would probably be enough even though that sounds like highway robbery. Nobody thought a 1st + 2 2nds would get Hamilton.

d_phaneuf
10-02-2015, 08:04 PM
He's a leaf on June 1st, 2016 IMO

KootenayFlamesFan
10-02-2015, 08:15 PM
Besides playing closer (or at) home, why would anyone want to play in T.O.? Tampa looks set for quite a few years, Stamkos would be foolish to give up potentially numerous shots at a Cup just to play for the Leafs.

Enoch Root
10-02-2015, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I doubt that after surviving one rebuild, he is keen on joining another

As for the Flames acquiring him, man that would make things tough for signing the young trio

Street Pharmacist
10-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Besides playing closer (or at) home, why would anyone want to play in T.O.? Tampa looks set for quite a few years, Stamkos would be foolish to give up potentially numerous shots at a Cup just to play for the Leafs.

He's not the big kahuna anymore though. He's not getting elite money from Tampa, so he'll find it elsewhere

KootenayFlamesFan
10-02-2015, 08:27 PM
He's not the big kahuna anymore though. He's not getting elite money from Tampa, so he'll find it elsewhere

7.5 this season and the owner has already said Yzerman can do pretty much anything he wants money wise that makes sense for the team. So unless Yzerman is low-balling in a big way he's going to get a monster contract. That and a stacked team, not sure what else he wants. Toronto seems like he would be taking about 20 steps backwards.

Finger Cookin
10-02-2015, 08:28 PM
Name one trade in the last 10 years where a pending UFA was traded for a package that included a prospect as good as Bennett.
I can't think of a trade in the past 20 years that involved an entire season of a pending UFA as good as Stamkos. I have no idea what he'd fetch. Not that it matters, since he won't get dealt anytime soon.

Street Pharmacist
10-02-2015, 08:28 PM
7.5 this season and the owner has already said Yzerman can do pretty much anything he wants money wise that makes sense for the team. So unless Yzerman is low-balling in a big way he's going to get a monster contract. That and a stacked team, not sure what else he wants. Toronto seems like he would be taking about 20 steps backwards.
If Yzerman wants to keep Hedman, Bishop and the triplets, I'm not sure they can afford that

Enoch Root
10-02-2015, 08:29 PM
Kovalchuk?

Finger Cookin
10-02-2015, 08:41 PM
Kovalchuk?

Probably the closest comparable, but even that was only from February to the end of the season before he needed to be re-signed.

KootenayFlamesFan
10-02-2015, 08:53 PM
If Yzerman wants to keep Hedman, Bishop and the triplets, I'm not sure they can afford that

Yeah, I guess it depends who Yzerman wants to keep. Stamkos isn't even 26 yet, so it's not like he's much older than the triplets (basically the same age as Johnson and Palat).

I think I'd pull a Chicago and spend whatever you have to keep your core there and worry about the rest later. Personally I'd keep Stamkos and trade one of the triplets if I had to.

JiriHrdina
10-02-2015, 09:32 PM
We know Treliving is a workaholic who calls about everyone available. So that's probably all this is.

Jason14h
10-02-2015, 10:40 PM
The Bolts do not need defensemen, so a trade of say Backlund + Poirier/Klimchuk + Hiller/Ramo + 1st would probably be enough even though that sounds like highway robbery.

Yeah I'm sure they would trade one of the 5 best players in the league for a 3rd line center, a B/B- prospect (at best), a expensive goalie to play 15 games, and a bottom of the 1st round pick.

It isn't robbery, its the kind of proposal we would see from an Edmonton fan!

albertGQ
10-02-2015, 11:26 PM

So if the Lightning are playing June 1st in the 3rd round, they'll trade him to the Leafs in the middle of their playoff run?

driveway
10-02-2015, 11:44 PM
If we're one of the best three or four teams in the west come deadline day and Stamkos isn't signed I hope we go after him as a rental like crazy. 1st + any two prospects.

codynw
10-03-2015, 12:26 AM
If we're one of the best three or four teams in the west come deadline day and Stamkos isn't signed I hope we go after him as a rental like crazy. 1st + any two prospects.

Even if he's not signed, why would they trade their best player? The Lightning have a legit shot at the Cup this year and trading Stamkos ruins that.

Hackey
10-03-2015, 01:03 AM
And why would we trade a 1st and 2 prospects to rent Stamkos?

Cole436
10-03-2015, 01:09 AM
Joe Thornton returned Brad Stuart (#2 D-man) Marco Sturm (2nd liner) and Wayne Primeau (4th liner) and he was under contract at the time.

The Bolts do not need defensemen, so a trade of say Backlund + Poirier/Klimchuk + Hiller/Ramo + 1st would probably be enough even though that sounds like highway robbery. Nobody thought a 1st + 2 2nds would get Hamilton.

And it was panned, even at the time, as one of the worst trades in modern NHL history.

If Stamkos is getting traded as a pending UFA, you can bet teams will go insane to get him even as a rental.

troutman
10-03-2015, 01:52 AM

Not if he wants to play in the playoffs in the next 5 years.

Caged Great
10-03-2015, 02:17 AM
Here's a ufa trade

Hossa and Dupuis (who was not good at the time) were traded for Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen and a 1st round pick 20th overall (Angelo Esposito)

Hossa was 28 at the time and was 6th in the NHL in points the season prior.

Stamkos is 25 now, and was 14th last year in points.

Giving a premium for the 3 years age difference, that offer I suggested wasn't terribly out of line, and is better than the Hossa trade by quite a bit.

driveway
10-03-2015, 03:19 AM
Even if he's not signed, why would they trade their best player? The Lightning have a legit shot at the Cup this year and trading Stamkos ruins that.

Well, they'll be in a difficult spot. Do you keep Stamkos and go for the cup, or do you try to maximize your assets? The Lightning likely figure to be contenders for the next few seasons with Hedman, the Triplets, Bishop/Vasilevsky and Callahan. If it's really looking like Stamkos is not going to sign and is going to test Free Agency... do you take the run at the Cup and risk losing him for nothing?

It depends, I suppose on your philosophy towards championships: do you prefer a window that's as long as possible, or one that is as wide as possible? Stamkos on your team kicks the window wider open, but moving him for some quality young assets: picks + good prospects, extends the window of competitiveness.

I'm not sure what kind of mindset Yzerman has towards the 'window.' Personally, I'm a 'get it as wide as possible and go for it' guy, which is why I would want to pursue Stamkos as a deadline acquisition if we're a top 3 or top 4 team in the conference.

If we're flirting with 110 points, I'd be in favour of going all-in.

Now obviously this is a whole lot of hypotheticals and speculation, but, should the chips fall the right way this season and Treliving went hard after Stamkos, I'd be in support of that.

heep223
10-03-2015, 03:41 AM
Not if he wants to play in the playoffs in the next 5 years.

No kidding. Anyone thinking that Stamkos could end up in Toronto needs to give their head a shake.

Jay Random
10-03-2015, 04:57 AM
No kidding. Anyone thinking that Stamkos could end up in Toronto needs to give their head a shake.

Oh, great. All winter long, the Toronto media will sound like maracas.

Poe969
10-03-2015, 05:57 AM
the only thing keeping us from getting stamkos is hanowski. If we added him to any deal, we'd get stamkos. Or we could do cammy for stamkos but it'd have to happen now to make sense...

Personally, I think there is no way to get stamkos on the flames but if there is someone in hockey who can make it happen its BT. Any player is a possibility for him to take (I said take not trade for because when he wants a player, he doesn't trade for him he takes him then gives back whatever he wants to give back)

Resolute 14
10-03-2015, 08:17 AM

The fact that Boston makes very stupid trades does not mean other teams will.

There is absolutely no scenario where a Stamkos trade does not begin with Bennett or Monahan or Gaudreau. And that, of course, is why no actual talks would have actually happened.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
10-03-2015, 09:31 AM
Off topic question, why are they called the triplets?

Gaudfather
10-03-2015, 04:05 PM
A pipe dream - but a good one!

Hockey_Ninja
10-03-2015, 04:10 PM
And why would we trade a 1st and 2 prospects to rent Stamkos?
Anytime you have a chance to land a player of Stamkos' caliber it's worth a shot to see what it would cost.

Gaskal
10-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Remarkably pipe-dreamish. Negotiations would have to go sour, the Lightning would have to suck throughout the season and be out of the race, Flames somehow make the cap space at the deadline and Calgary happens to be the only team he's willing to waive the NMC for. Plus I don't even know if the rumors of him being unhappy in TB are true or not.

Good lord though, Gaudreau - Monahan - Stamkos would score in bunches.

Gaudfather
10-03-2015, 04:13 PM
The biggest issue facing Tre on a deal like this is that Stevie Y is no Don Sweeney!

Badgers Nose
10-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Maybe if there was a point in time when the Gio contract was looking undoable...

Hamilton to Calgary.

Gio and a prospect for Stamkos.

I dont think fans in eaither city would have been too upset with the captain rfa swap.

GettinIggyWithIt
10-04-2015, 09:56 AM
Off topic question, why are they called the triplets?

I think it had something to do with Cooper making a statement about how they were on the same wavelength - like they were triplets and then it just caught fire in the media.