PDA

View Full Version : Hathaway, Sieloff, Wotherspoon, Nakladal, Morrison to Stockton. UPD: Shore clears

sureLoss
10-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Per Ren Lavoie

#Flames cuts today. Prospects Hathaway, Sieloff, Morrison all off to Stockton. Drew Shore on waivers. Could be picked by another team. Per millions

Toonage
10-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Not unexpected. Not shocked. But I am curious to see if this league wide interest in Shore was real.

mikephoen
Unfortunately not a surprise. I think he clears.

squirtle
Had times where he looked really decent, and other times where he was just lackluster. I think this was the right move.

jayswin
http://i.imgur.com/P81gmDP.gif (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCInt9LecpMgCFccuiAodA2wHzw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2FEve%2Fcomme nts%2F2jhe5o%2Fthe_battle_for_ge8jv_happening_stat us_its&psig=AFQjCNE0LYFmLmirA-ZqrStSomLHm0YxHw&ust=1443890226240930)

Ashasx
10-02-2015, 10:38 AM
Colborne must be okay?

Bandwagon In Flames
10-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Colborne must be okay?

I think it's more that Hathaway and Granlund have shown more.

I'll say 20%~ chance he gets claimed.

GranteedEV
10-02-2015, 10:40 AM
Hope he clears, and that they gave him a strong message on what to work on in the minors if he does clear. I still see real upside in this kid.

AC
10-02-2015, 10:40 AM
Worst case he gets claimed and we lose a depth forward.

I'd prefer to use Granlund, Hathaway, Agostino, Arnold, and Klimchuk in a call-up personally.

SuperMatt18
10-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Colborne must be okay?

Even with Colborne out I think we still needed to waive him.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Ferland - Bennett - Frolik
Bouma - Backlund - Jones
Bryon - Stajan - Jooris
Bollig, Raymond

Colborne IR
Hathaway, Granlund Assigned
Shore Waived

Fire
10-02-2015, 10:42 AM
I think he clears and I hope he does because he does provide some solid depth, but just not good enough to earn a spot on the team.

Finger Cookin
10-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Pretty much. Colborne's injury might postpone things for Raymond or Byron.

Bandwagon In Flames
10-02-2015, 10:44 AM
Hope he clears, and that they gave him a strong message on what to work on in the minors if he does clear. I still see real upside in this kid.

You and maybe 2 other posters. He's 24 by the way, not a kid.

Enoch Root
10-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Bottom line is that he hasn't raised his game since being acquired last year. Whether that's due to injuries, opportunities, numbers or whatever, at the end of the day the result is the same.

And Granlund and Hathaway have both looked better in camp.

And the Flames have too many forwards so, no choice. No doubt Treliving shopped around for interest but at this time of year, every team is in the same boat.

So you send him down. If he gets claimed, then so be it. If not, we have a larger stable in Stockton.

Crumpy-Gunt
10-02-2015, 10:56 AM
I think he gets claimed.

Bezer
10-02-2015, 10:58 AM
I am pretty disappointed to see Shore on waivers, but to be honest, he has left me wanting more when I watch him play. I hope he doesn't get claimed and develops in Stockton then he gets another shot with the big club in the future.

The Original FFIV
10-02-2015, 11:02 AM
20/20 hindsight we should have sold high at the deadline last year when people were calling on him.

Good on the other players for forcing this decision - Treliving talked about 'bottom push' which results in moves like this.

hummdeedoo
10-02-2015, 11:02 AM

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Ferland - Bennett - Frolik
Bouma - Backlund - Jones
Bryon - Stajan - Jooris
Bollig, Raymond

Colborne IR
Hathaway, Granlund Assigned
Shore Waived

I think that's real close to what will happen - although I think Raymond gets waived and we have 13 forwards, 7 D and 3 goalies to start.

Flames Fan, Ph.D.
10-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Treliving is tackling the roster the way I used to take tests: doing the easiest questions first and delaying the tough ones.

Cheerio
10-02-2015, 11:04 AM
one of the best faceoff guys on the team and had the highest PPG on Adirondack last season. He'll look good in Arizona this year.

Bandwagon In Flames
10-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but Raphael Diaz also placed on waivers today.

Robo
10-02-2015, 11:08 AM
was hoping to see raymond on waivers too

nik-
10-02-2015, 11:10 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/ry3sw.jpg

Vinny01
10-02-2015, 11:11 AM
Not like we gave up much to get him but I suspect he will clear.

Street Pharmacist
10-02-2015, 11:11 AM
one of the best faceoff guys on the team and had the highest PPG on Adirondack last season. He'll look good in Arizona this year.
Kind of misleading. He had a high PPG on San Antonio, kinda nothing on Adirondack

Erick Estrada
10-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Hope he clears but I think he gets claimed. Can't keep everyone.

ClubFlames
10-02-2015, 11:13 AM

Since when is he one of the best faceoff guys on the team? Maybe in AHL? Certainly not in NHL. Unless you are basing it on the total of 59 (29W-30L) faceoffs he took last year which is a very small number.

FlamesAddiction
10-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Edmonton will claim him. He is probably better than half their team.

FBI
10-02-2015, 11:20 AM
We all kinda saw this coming through preseason play. Too bad, had higher hopes for this guy. Others more deserving though.

JetsFlamesFan
10-02-2015, 11:20 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/ry3sw.jpg

uh... ok? :blink:

Racki
10-02-2015, 11:21 AM
Edmonton will claim him. He is probably better than half their team.
I completely expect him to be claimed by the Oilers as well.

GreenLantern2814
10-02-2015, 11:24 AM
We've had a bum run of players wearing 22 post-Langkow. Stempniak, Setoguchi and Shore. Alliterative as well.

Hope the kid gets claimed. Free up a contract, reduce the roster logjam. Organizationally, they can withstand the loss of Drew Shore.

getbak
10-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Not unexpected. Not shocked. But I am curious to see if this league wide interest in Shore was real.
The level of interest teams have at the deadline is a lot different than the level of interest teams have at the end of training camp.

After the deadline, the roster limit is lifted, teams are struggling with injuries, and they know which of their own prospects are ready for the NHL at that time. Plus, Shore was a pending RFA, so acquiring him carried no long-term commitment. If the team that acquired him had to trade him, they'd likely get something decent in return in the summer.

Now, teams have to work with the 23 man roster limit and most of their players are healthy. Teams also want to fill the few rosters holes they may have with prospects who are already in their own system. At this time of year, every team has bubble guys like Shore that they're trying to get through waivers into the AHL.

Even if he clears on October 3, it doesn't mean there wasn't interest in him on March 2.

jaikorven
10-02-2015, 11:26 AM
I think that's real close to what will happen - although I think Raymond gets waived and we have 13 forwards, 7 D and 3 goalies to start.

I do hope you are right, but what is sad is that Raymond gets a further shot in the regular season to prove himself, just because he is a vet. Where Shore actually outplayed him imo.

Lanny_McDonald
10-02-2015, 11:27 AM
No big loss if he gets picked up. We have better home grown talent in the minors.

Cheerio
10-02-2015, 11:28 AM
Since when is he one of the best faceoff guys on the team? Maybe in AHL? Certainly not in NHL. Unless you are basing it on the total of 59 (29W-30L) faceoffs he took last year which is a very small number.

We was 21/26 in preseason, and spent all summer working on faceoffs and it look like it's paid off. Granlund was 9/21.

Bandwagon In Flames
10-02-2015, 11:29 AM
I do hope you are right, but what is sad is that Raymond gets a further shot in the regular season to prove himself, just because he is a vet. Where Shore actually outplayed him imo.

Honestly I don't think Shore outplayed Raymond last night. Raymond almost had 2 goals and at least plays a speedy game. He even drove the net once which I've never seen him do before. Shore just moseys around the neutral zone not doing a whole lot.

Poe969
10-02-2015, 11:29 AM

He'll probably get the same 3-4 million contract Schlemko got too right?

Some people around here start to like one player and then think that player is amazing and worth more than we think. Shore just wasn't good enough, if the team loses a fringe NHL'er for nothing it really doesn't matter. And I'm still trying to find out in what world he was one of the best faceoff guys or had the highest PPG.

Bandwagon In Flames
10-02-2015, 11:30 AM
We was 21/26 in preseason, and spent all summer working on faceoffs and it look like it's paid off. Granlund was 9/21.

Maybe he should of spend all summer working on another part of his game, because everything else was lacking.

Honestly Cheerio, with your track record it's safe to say you are terrible at evaluating players.

jaikorven
10-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Honestly I don't think Shore outplayed Raymond last night. Raymond almost had 2 goals and at least plays a speedy game. He even drove the net once which I've never seen him do before. Shore just moseys around the neutral zone not doing a whole lot.

Oh I don't dispute your comment, but I meant over the whole of training camp, not just last night's game. Either way I just want Raymond gone. He is not top 14 on the Flames forwards.

Crumpy-Gunt
10-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Hope he clears because I think he can be a big player for Stockton

Cheerio
10-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Maybe he should of spend all summer working on another part of his game, because everything else was lacking.

Honestly Cheerio, with your track record it's safe to say you are terrible at evaluating players.

Since I believe that Schlemko & Shore > Engelland & Bollig I'm terrible at evaluating players? Good to know that 2 players who actually bring something to the table other than HURR DURR TOUGHNESS AND INTANGIBLES are actually bad. The last time this team had a guy who could win faceoffs in the bottom 6 it was Stephane Yelle, this is a terrible faceoff team. Shore brings something to the table that no one else can and I think he's a better fit for the 13th forward spot than Granlund, Bollig and Raymond

Poe969
10-02-2015, 11:39 AM
So you're saying you know more than Jack Adams award winning coach Hartley?

HURR DURR I like these guys so they're awesome!

Who cares how they are compared to other players. There is a specific spot that needs to be filled and the coaching staff and management will take the player best suited for that spot. You obviously overvalued Shore and Schlemko otherwise they'd be on the Flames.

jaikorven
10-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Since I believe that Schlemko & Shore > Engelland & Bollig I'm terrible at evaluating players? Good to know that 2 players who actually bring something to the table other than HURR DURR TOUGHNESS AND INTANGIBLES are actually bad. The last time this team had a guy who could win faceoffs in the bottom 6 it was Stephane Yelle, this is a terrible faceoff team. Shore brings something to the table that no one else can and I think he's a better fit for the 13th forward spot than Granlund, Bollig and Raymond

Not Granlund...nope

flamesfan55
10-02-2015, 11:40 AM
My frustration is I don't believe Byron should still be here instead of Shore.

sureLoss
10-02-2015, 11:45 AM
#Flames cuts today. Prospects Hathaway, Sieloff, Morrison all off to Stockton. Drew Shore on waivers. Could be picked by another team.

Per millions

Crumpy-Gunt
10-02-2015, 11:45 AM
So far I think the 13th forward spot is granlunds to lose.

Byron is coming back off an injury and doesn't have anything to prove. He's at camp trying to get better. They know what he brings and who he is. Drew Shore has almost no identity and never established a style of play. The coaches are familiar with Byron and know once he gets fit he will be a reliable bottom 6 guy

getbak
10-02-2015, 11:47 AM
#Flames cuts today. Prospects Hathaway, Sieloff, Morrison all off to Stockton. Drew Shore on waivers. Could be picked by another team.

Per millions

What's that bring the numbers down to now?

Bandwagon In Flames
10-02-2015, 11:47 AM
My frustration is I don't believe Byron should still be here instead of Shore.

Byron actually provides value to the team though. Great PKer and possession player with incredible speed. He's an ideal 13th forward that can be versatile. His speed can be really effective against certain teams.

Cheerio
10-02-2015, 11:48 AM
So you're saying you know more than Jack Adams award winning coach Hartley?

HURR DURR I like these guys so they're awesome!

Who cares how they are compared to other players. There is a specific spot that needs to be filled and the coaching staff and management will take the player best suited for that spot. You obviously overvalued Shore and Schlemko otherwise they'd be on the Flames.

Just because he won a trophy doesn't mean he in infallible. Remember the Setoguchi experiment last year? I bet Chicago was wishing they still had John Scott/Brandon Bollig on their roster when they were lifting the cup...

Calgary4LIfe
10-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Though people may complain that Shore was put on waivers ahead of Raymond (which is another argument), at least Treliving is indeed following through with the 'earned not given' mantra. It would have been much easier to send Granlund and Hathaway down as they don't need to clear waivers.

As a vet, Raymond may just be getting the benefit of the doubt for now as he did score at a relatively high rate in relation to his TOI.

I suspect Treliving has probably called back all the GMs (and then some) that had expressed interest in Shore, and didn't get a taker on a trade. Betting he probably clears.

Bandwagon In Flames
10-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Just because he won a trophy doesn't mean he in infallible. Remember the Setoguchi experiment last year? I bet Chicago was wishing they still had John Scott/Brandon Bollig on their roster when they were lifting the cup...

Is Hartley the GM or something? I recall Hartley giving him a chance as a good coach does and then he got waived shortly after.

And Bollig won a stanley cup with Chicago.

What are you smoking dude?

Calgary4LIfe
10-02-2015, 11:52 AM

Sure, he isn't infallible. What was wrong with the Setoguchi experiment? He played less than 20 games and had reduced minutes near the end, with frequent scratches. What do you supposed he should have done differently?

flambers
Colborne must be okay?

Flames have 16 forwards still in camp including Colborne.

If Colborne goes on IR, one will need to be assigned.

Guessing the Flames go with 14 forwards, 6 dman and 3 goalies for the 1st week.

jg13
Updated

GOALTENDERS
1 - Jonas Hiller
31 - Karri Ramo
37 - Joni Ortio

DEFENCEMEN
15 - Ladislav Smid
7 - TJ Brodie
26 - Tyler Wotherspoon
29 - Deryk Engelland
4 - Kris Russell
6 - Dennis Wideman
5 - Mark Giordano
27 - Dougie Hamilton
33 - Jakub Nakladal
44 - Ryan Wilson(PTO)

FORWARDS
13 - Johnny Gaudreau
16 - Josh Jooris
23 - Sean Monahan
60 - Markus Granlund
79 - Micheal Ferland
8 - Joe Colborne
11 - Mikael Backlund
17 - Lance Bouma
52 - Brandon Bollig
67 - Micheal Frolik
18 - Matt Stajan
19 - David Jones
21 - Mason Raymond
24 - Jiri Hudler
93 - Sam Bennett
32 - Paul Byron

Cheerio
10-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Is Hartley the GM or something? I recall Hartley giving him a chance as a good coach does and then he got waived shortly after.

And Bollig won a stanley cup with Chicago.

What are you smoking dude?

Poe asked me if I disagreed with Jack Adams winning coach Bob Hartley so I explained that sometimes people get things wrong.

Bollig was watching from home when they lifted the cup this year.

CroFlames
So far I think the 13th forward spot is granlunds to lose.

Byron is coming back off an injury and doesn't have anything to prove. He's at camp trying to get better. They know what he brings and who he is. Drew Shore has almost no identity and never established a style of play. The coaches are familiar with Byron and know once he gets fit he will be a reliable bottom 6 guy

Do you want Granlund consistently sitting in the pressbox though? Granlund is potentially part of the future plan. You want him playing hockey regularly.

I'd rather have Byron as 13, since I'd have no problem with him sitting games. He's serviceable when needed, and he very likely isn't part of the plan moving forward so who cares if he sits.

stemit14
Byron actually provides value to the team though. Great PKer and possession player with incredible speed. He's an ideal 13th forward that can be versatile. His speed can be really effective against certain teams.

Agreed. Love what Byron brings to the team. People complain that he doesn't score enough on the breakaway chances he creates... But at least he's creating them. Most bottom six players are just chipping the puck in and getting a change. Having a gritty, super fast, fore checker like Byron on the 3rd/4th line is a great asset to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poe969
10-02-2015, 11:56 AM
The Seto experiment could have a lot more to it than we'll ever know. His off ice issues and the demons had a lot to do with things. That whole thing actually makes me like, turst and respect Hartley more. I don't know why you're bringing John Scott into things... As much as you're discounting toughness, you have to realize that the Flames are one of the smallest teams in the league and you need to have some guys out there to "protect" them and keep the other team honest.

You clearly don't know much about hockey as more than just a single player game. You can't just put together a bunch of players who are individually good. You have to think of the team aspect of it. Engelland and Bolig are part of a team system and I've only heard Hartley sing their praises. He hasn't once called them out because they're less like drew shore and only bring "HURR DURR toughness". If anything, I'm sure he'd say they bring GOOD SOLID toughness.

Cheerio
10-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Sure, he isn't infallible. What was wrong with the Setoguchi experiment? He played less than 20 games and had reduced minutes near the end, with frequent scratches. What do you supposed he should have done differently?

I seem to recall everyone on this board having issues with Setoguchi playing and as a result an issue with Hartley's coaching. But now that he won the Jack Adams, disagreeing with his decisions is not allowed.

Enoch Root
10-02-2015, 11:57 AM
isn't Kulak still here as well?

DoubleF
10-02-2015, 11:58 AM

Just because you prefer them doesn't mean they're miles ahead of the other two. You don't have to kick down Bollig and Engelland to boost up Schlemko and Shore.

Furthermore, Shore doesn't bring something to the table no one else can. His face offs might be better, but his overall package leaves something to be desired. I may not totally disagree with you wanting Schlemko and Shore over Engelland and Bollig, but I am in no way remotely close in agreeing with your arguments.

Poe969
10-02-2015, 12:00 PM
I explained that sometimes people get things wrong.

Yes, some more often than others. No one is perfect, but I'd trust someone who's highly recognized in the world's best hockey league over someone who thought Schlemko was worth 3-4 million dollars a year.

10-02-2015, 12:02 PM
Poe asked me if I disagreed with Jack Adams winning coach Bob Hartley so I explained that sometimes people get things wrong.

Bollig was watching from home when they lifted the cup this year.

Can we just create a seperate thread for the anti fighting, anti Bollig, and anti Engelland crowd to post in? Call it the "I hate Bollig and Engelland" thread.

It's getting tiring how every single thread ends up being about how Bollig and Engelland suck and how dumb the Jack Adams award winner and Flames management are for keeping these guys around.

This thread is about Shore, Hathaway, Sieloff and Morrison. Can we leave Bollig and Engelland out of it?

DoubleF
10-02-2015, 12:05 PM
isn't Kulak still here as well?

Odd, he's not on the Flames website roster, or the Stockton roster.

I think you are correct though.

GranteedEV
10-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Yes, some more often than others. No one is perfect, but I'd trust someone who's highly recognized in the world's best hockey league over someone who thought Schlemko was worth 3-4 million dollars a year.

Yeah, like Stan Bowman, who thought Bryan Bickell was worth 4M/4Y/NTC. These kinda guys always get it right.

Can we just create a seperate thread for the anti fighting, anti Bollig, and anti Engelland crowd to post in? Call it the "I hate Bollig and Engelland" thread.

Any thread that involves players who are competing for roster spots will have discussion about other players who are getting roster spots handed to them on a platter, like Raymond for instance, but not limited to him.

For some reason, for example, effective NHLer Paul Byron is being picked on in this thread as a guy who should get waived (despite being in less danger of being waived than Colborne and Raymond based solely on who Bob Hartley is calling "players we need to evaluate"). "Waive Byron just because" talk annoys me probably as much as Engelland and Bollig annoy you. But it's par for the course, get over it.

But I digress.

getbak
10-02-2015, 12:24 PM
GOALTENDERS (3)
1 - Jonas Hiller
31 - Karri Ramo
37 - Joni Ortio

DEFENCEMEN (11)
4 - Kris Russell
5 - Mark Giordano
6 - Dennis Wideman
26 - Tyler Wotherspoon
27 - Dougie Hamilton
29 - Deryk Engelland
51 - Brett Kulak
7 - TJ Brodie
15 - Ladislav Smid
33 - Jakub Nakladal
44 - Ryan Wilson(PTO)

FORWARDS (16)
11 - Mikael Backlund
13 - Johnny Gaudreau
16 - Josh Jooris
17 - Lance Bouma
18 - Matt Stajan
19 - David Jones
21 - Mason Raymond
23 - Sean Monahan
24 - Jiri Hudler
32 - Paul Byron
52 - Brandon Bollig
67 - Michael Frolik
79 - Micheal Ferland
93 - Sam Bennett
8 - Joe Colborne
60 - Markus Granlund

So, seven more moves required...

Release Wilson, or sign him to a two-way and send him to Stockton if he clears waivers
Brodie and Smid to IR
Colborne to IR if his injury last night was bad enough
Nakladal and Granlund to Stockton

That would leave either Wotherspoon, Ortio, or one of the forwards to be sent down to fit the 23 man limit. Wotherspoon seems most likely.

SuperMatt18
10-02-2015, 12:31 PM
I think I would actually keep Nakladal up as the 7 and send Kulak back to the minors. Has looked good but still only has 1 year of pro, and could benefit more from playing lots of minutes in the AHL vs being a 7 up in the press box.

GranteedEV
10-02-2015, 12:33 PM
I think I would actually keep Nakladal up as the 7 and send Kulak back to the minors. Has looked good but still only has 1 year of pro, and could benefit more from playing lots of minutes in the AHL vs being a 7 up in the press box.

If Kulak's kept up, it's to be the #6/#5 until Smid or Brodie are back.
Nakladal can be kept up to be the #6/#7 until that time.

MissTeeks
10-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Dude is cursed:

Roger Millions ‏@RogMillions 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/RogMillions/status/650015175060230144) Calgary, Alberta (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A53504716d445dcad)

Hearing health concerns for #Flames (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Flames?src=hash) Joe Colborne after WPG game. Perhaps long term. Tough for Joe. Could help log jam for forward spots

Phaneufenstein
10-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Probably shattered some bones

CroFlames
Dang. I thought Joe looked like he really was about to take a step forward in his game.

Disheartening as a fan of his to hear that.

Aeneas
Look forward to seeing more of Hathaway in the future.

SuperMatt18
10-02-2015, 12:38 PM
If Kulak's kept up, it's to be the #6/#5 until Smid or Brodie are back.
Nakladal can be kept up to be the #6/#7 until that time.

Yeah I was thinking that Wotherspoon had won the #6 spot, but I guess that Kulak may have won that spot.

In that case I think the same thing though. In that case keep Nakladal up as #7 and then send Wotherspoon down to the minors.

In the end I think it's going to be one of Kulak or Wotherspoon, and one of Nakladal or Wilson for those final two spots.

dammage79
10-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Calgary Flames ‏@NHLFlames 1m1 minute ago
The #Flames have assigned 5 players to the @AHLHeat ~ http://cflam.es/1LYlE0K CGY has 29 players remaining in camp.

T-Spoon and Nakladal added to the list.

Toonage
10-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Flames twitter saying Wotherspoon has been demoted

Thank you dammage79 for the link!

tvp2003
10-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Gotta be disappointing for Wotherspoon.

Looks like Kulak wins the #6 spot; can't see them signing Wilson just to put Kulak in the pressbox.

The Yen Man
Really hope they don't sign Wilson unless it's a 2 way contract so they can send him down to Stockton.

Imported_Aussie
Dude is cursed:

Roger Millions ‏@RogMillions 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/RogMillions/status/650015175060230144) Calgary, Alberta (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A53504716d445dcad)

Hearing health concerns for #Flames (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Flames?src=hash) Joe Colborne after WPG game. Perhaps long term. Tough for Joe. Could help log jam for forward spots

Just as he was starting to look like the missing ingredient in that forward corps - a big bodied guy to roll with the Kings/Ducks/Sharks.

Hopefully this means Granlund can stay, different player, but a guy who would look great on 2/3 LW or 3C

Enoch Root
10-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Wow, that is kind of surprising in that there are now only 7 healthy defensemen in camp including Wilson.

Would have thought they would keep (at least) one more than that until the last minute.

Toonage
10-02-2015, 01:00 PM
I would be genuinely surprised if Mason Raymond stays and Granlund is demoted. Placing Raymond on waivers sends a message, gives you the chance to rid yourself of him completely and at the very least saves a bit of money. Sending Granlund down, while easier, just tells players that their efforts will only take them so far.

Enoch Root
10-02-2015, 01:01 PM
Congratulations to Kulak for outlasting the others.

He has looked really good in camp - better than I would have ever guessed.

foshizzle11
10-02-2015, 01:03 PM
So, that leaves 6 healthy Dmen with contracts with the flames.

Kulak, Gio, Dougie, Engelland, Wideman, Russell.

Injured: Smid and Brodie.

PTO: Wilson.

I just don't see them signing Wilson. Brodie and Smid both expected back in October at some point, I just don't see it.

Kulak is the 7th guy this season it seems for now, hopefully he can take a spot away from Smid/Engelland and get more playing time than them this season. I like his game.

The only surprise today was Nakladal getting sent down, I wasn't sure what would happen with him. But I like the move. He could use some time getting used to the NA game before playing in the NHL. He didn't look comfortable last night.

Toonage
10-02-2015, 01:04 PM
I just don't see them signing Wilson. Brodie and Smid both expected back in October at some point, I just don't see it.

I agree with this. Reading about the possibility of them starting with 3 goalies, I can see this being the reality. 6D, 3 goalies to start.

SuperMatt18
10-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Yeah I hope we don't sign Wilson.

We already have too many d-men.

Happy for Kulak though, really stepped up and grabbed the opportunity. Another one of those Flames 4th rounders.

Kinda feel for Wotherspoon, but he just doesn't have that 1 skill that really allows him to step up and impress. Needs to use this as motivation and play with more of a chip on his shoulder.

Bandwagon In Flames
10-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Wow, that is kind of surprising in that there are now only 7 healthy defensemen in camp including Wilson.

Would have thought they would keep (at least) one more than that until the last minute.

I think Smid being close to healthy has a lot to do with it.

Stealth22
10-02-2015, 01:07 PM
Really hope they don't sign Wilson unless it's a 2 way contract so they can send him down to Stockton.

Not trying to call you out here or anything, but I'm just curious on this.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that 1-way vs 2-way has less to do with waivers/demotions to the AHL, and more to do with the salary that the player earns in the minors. Like, on a 1-way, the player earns his full NHL salary wherever he is, and on a 2-way, the AHL salary has a certain limit on it.

Can someone in the know clarify that for me? I thought I read that waiver eligibility is based on games played in the NHL, rather than 1 vs 2 way contracts.

foshizzle11
10-02-2015, 01:08 PM

I thought I remember reading somewhere that 1-way vs 2-way has less to do with waivers/demotions to the AHL, and more to do with the salary that the player earns in the minors. Like, on a 1-way, the player earns his full NHL salary wherever he is, and on a 2-way, the AHL salary has a certain limit on it.

Can someone in the know clarify that for me? I thought I read that waiver eligibility is based on games played in the NHL, rather than 1 vs 2 way contracts.

I believe you are correct Stealth.

Enoch Root
10-02-2015, 01:14 PM

That is likely true

Question: can Wilson remain on a PTO beyond opening day? Or must they commit one way or the other?

It would be sneaky-smart to keep him around on his PTO while they iron out other decisions.

MissTeeks
10-02-2015, 01:16 PM
@SUNGilbertson: #Flames head coach Bob Hartley with strong words on D Tyler Wotherspoon. "We told him you need to be a little tougher on yourself."

MissTeeks
10-02-2015, 01:19 PM
@NHLFlames: Bob Hartley has given an update on Joe Colborne: he is week-to-week with a thumb injury.

@NHLFlames: Joe Colborne says he and the team are hopeful that he will be able to avoid surgery on his thumb.

Toonage
10-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Having broken my own thumb a few years back (and not requiring surgery or a cast) I recall it being a month before I could grip anything and another month before I was confident it wasn't going to snap backward on me again. This really can't be applied to Colborne's situation as each break is unique, but I wanted to share.

Poe969
10-02-2015, 01:23 PM
That sucks about Colborne, I really thought he'd do well this year. I still think he's going to come back and be amazing, it just sucks that it won't be right away.

GranteedEV
10-02-2015, 01:24 PM

This. He's already doing contact drills no?

Finger Cookin
10-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Colborne's done. I don't see why the Flames would continue to invest the time in him when both his hands and wrists are ####ed. It's too bad, he looks like he has a lot of untapped potential.

My two cents.

3rd line Grinder
10-02-2015, 01:26 PM
wait, when did wotherspoon get cut?

Enoch Root
10-02-2015, 01:27 PM
Colborne's done. I don't see why the Flames would continue to invest the time in him when both his hands and wrists are ####ed. It's too bad, he looks like he has a lot of untapped potential.

My two cents.

well, as long as we're not over-reacting...

OldSam
10-02-2015, 01:27 PM
Feel terrible for Joe. He wants to be a Flame so bad and he has had nothing but bad luck with injuries. Get well soon.

Bob not mincing words with Tyler. Sure tells it like it is. Anyone wonder if this is Tyler's last chance?

herashak
10-02-2015, 01:30 PM
I havent watched really any pres season hockey. Did kulak look like a legit NHL dman? Ive always been high on his pro potential.

Benched
10-02-2015, 01:31 PM

a few minutes ago along with Nakladal

Finger Cookin
10-02-2015, 01:31 PM

Same time as the others in the title.

@Fan960Steinberg (https://twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg/status/650019528441753602)
#Flames assign 5 to Stockton: Hathaway, Morrison, Nakladal, Sieloff, Wotherspoon. Confirm Shore on waivers.

OldSam
10-02-2015, 01:32 PM
This. He's already doing contact drills no?

Not full contract according to Wills this morning. He indicated he is not totally cleared and the team is still concerned about the injury.

ricardodw
10-02-2015, 01:34 PM
I agree with this. Reading about the possibility of them starting with 3 goalies, I can see this being the reality. 6D, 3 goalies to start.

Who plays D when you have somebody with the flu? The playoff race was really close last year. Imagine the ramifications if the Flames are forced to go with 4/5 dmen and lose 2 pts in the standings

Larry David
10-02-2015, 01:34 PM
@SUNGilbertson: #Flames head coach Bob Hartley with strong words on D Tyler Wotherspoon. "We told him you need to be a little tougher on yourself."

Quote from Jermain Franklin adds more:

@TSNJFranklin: Hartley's message to Wotherspoon "you need to be a little tougher on yourself... more demanding, you let those 2 guys step in front of you"

Safe to say he's implying Kulak and Wilson as the 2 guys who stepped in front of him.

Enoch Root
10-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Who plays D when you have somebody with the flu? The playoff race was really close last year. Imagine the ramifications if the Flames are forced to go with 4/5 dmen and lose 2 pts in the standings

It's not like they can't call anyone up and are going to ice 4/5 d-men for an extended period of time

The 6 d-men issue is a temporary thing while they continue to work on the goalie situation

Royle9
10-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Sucks for Wotherspoon, mind you I'd agree it seems they did jump in front of him unfortunately nobody could have prevented that except for himself, cant feel too sorry for the kid. Live and learn or so they say.

Gotta think he'll be less then thrilled with the demotion, maybe he jumps ship and reunites with his former teammate and current Vancouver Savior Mr.Svensational

Benched
10-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Not full contract according to Wills this morning. He indicated he is not totally cleared and the team is still concerned about the injury.

Yeah I heard that this AM as well. Said 'limited contact' he's approved for. But full contact will not be granted until he visits the surgeon. The speculation is it was a very serious injury and the Flames are not going to rush him back as they don't want to harm Smid for life.

That comment rang in my ears. Seems like a stark comparison vs. some other NHL franchises who do not have their players best interest at heart...

Bingo
10-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Wonder how many named Kulak as their Jooris for this season? Does help that company earned motto once again.

Granlund staying over Shore does the same thing.

SuperMatt18
10-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Do we really have space for Wilson. I wonder if the 2nd guy that passed Wotherspoon is actually Nakladal, and they made it clear that Wotherspoon wasn't the first call up anymore.

He looked alright but don' think he outright won a spot IMO. I get signing him to a contract if he looked head and shoulder better then our other guys, but he didn't IMO.

Giordano
Brodie
Hamilton
Russell
Wideman
Engelland
Smid

Kulak
Wotherspoon
Nakladal
Morrison
Culkin
Sieloff
Kylington
Kanzig
Johnson

That is already 16 dmen in the organization that need ice-time. And I don't think that Wilson looked any better than Wotherspoon, Nakladal, Kulak or Morrison. If we really need another d-man I would take Schlemko or Diaz back off waivers before him as well.

Enoch Root
10-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Wotherspoon has 2 choices:

1) realize and accept that he hasn't pushed hard enough yet - and get out there and push harder, or

2) blame the Flames' organization, and wallow in a path that will find him in Europe in a year or two.

Bandwagon In Flames
10-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Wotherspoon has 2 choices:

1) realize and accept that he hasn't pushed hard enough yet - and get out there and push harder, or

2) blame the Flames' organization, and wallow in a path that will find him in Europe in a year or two.

1) Be a man

2) Be Baertschi

Choose wisely Wotherspoon!

Finger Cookin
10-02-2015, 01:48 PM

You're right. Waiver eligibility has nothing to do with two-way contracts. It's determined by signing age and pro experience.

Two-way deals have nothing to do with waivers. They just mean a player is paid one salary in the NHL, and a lower salary in the AHL. As compared to a one-way deal, where a player earns the same salary regardless of playing in the NHL or AHL.

GranteedEV
Wotherspoon is Gormley 3.0 (Gormley 2.0 is up in Edmonton right now)

GranteedEV

@TSNJFranklin: Hartley's message to Wotherspoon "you need to be a little tougher on yourself... more demanding, you let those 2 guys step in front of you"

Safe to say he's implying Kulak and Wilson as the 2 guys who stepped in front of him.

Kulak and Culkin.

Enoch Root
10-02-2015, 01:50 PM
1) Be a man

2) Be Baertschi

Choose wisely Wotherspoon!

that is exactly what I was trying to say!

A Shot Wide
10-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Geez, Spooner is my favorite prospect and I can't help but feel that's being a bit harsh as I think he's played pretty well this camp. But I guess it's true, this is the NHL, if you're hard on a player and they wilt, did they ever have what it takes? Sort of like in Whiplash if you've seen it.

Flames Draft Watcher
10-02-2015, 01:52 PM

My two cents.

WTF? Talk about extreme overreactions.

Finger Cookin
10-02-2015, 01:55 PM
WTF? Talk about extreme overreactions.

I hope I'm wrong. But this is at least his third serious wrist and hand injury in his career. As I understand it, this thumb problem is on his right hand. His off-season surgery was on his left wrist, after battling through the injury most of 14-15. He also had wrist surgery when he was the Leafs organization, after battling through most of 11-12 with a wrist injury. At best, he's injury prone in that area but manages to stay healthy. At worst...well, there's my extreme thoughts.

Maybe a bit overboard though, as you say. I hope he recovers fully and contributes to the success of the team.

Textcritic
10-02-2015, 02:00 PM
Geez, Spooner is my favorite prospect and I can't help but feel that's being a bit harsh as I think he's played pretty well this camp. But I guess it's true, this is the NHL, if you're hard on a player and they wilt, did they ever have what it takes? Sort of like in Whiplash if you've seen it.
I suppose, but without the megalomania and sociopathy.

Hartley and the Flames coaching staff have proven to be abundantly fair and very astute in their evaluation of young players and their development.

Larry David
10-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Kulak and Culkin.

Culkin is injured is he not? I'm pretty sure he meant Wilson

Textcritic
10-02-2015, 02:03 PM
I havent watched really any pres season hockey. Did kulak look like a legit NHL dman? Ive always been high on his pro potential.
Kulak looks like he is right there. If he isn't already a NHL defenseman, then he will be by this time next year.

It was a long time ago and circumstances were quite different, but watching Kulak this camp has reminded me of how Brodie stood out in his 2011 training camp.

Textcritic
10-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Culkin is injured is he not? I'm pretty sure he meant Wilson
I think it is more likely Nakladal, but before his injury Culkin looked really, really good at the Young Stars Tournament. I thought in September that he would be the one to be pushing for a spot.

SuperMatt18
10-02-2015, 02:10 PM
Hadn't really looked at it but the progression is interesting...

TJ Brodie:

Draft Year: 0.44ppg
Draft +1 : 0.79ppg
Draft + 2 : 0.86ppg
AHL Y1 : 0.50ppg

Ryan Culkin:

Draft Year: 0.42ppg
Draft +1 : 0.67ppg
Draft + 2 : 0.80ppg
AHL Y1 : 0.49ppg

I know points aren't really the whole story. And it was Brodie developing his 200ft game that really made him the player he is but in terms of pure offensive progression Culkin has taken very similar steps of improvement to Brodie.

Kulak started the year in the ECHL but a similar progression once he did work his way up as well.

Brett Kulak:

Draft Year : 0.33ppg
Draft +1 : 0.61ppg
Draft + 2 : 0.86ppg
ECHL Y1 : 0.77ppg
AHL Y1 : 0.5ppg

If either of those guys could turn into half as good a player as Brodie is that would be a win for this team.

Posted this in the summer prospect thread, and the progression between Culkin, Kulak, and Brodie is very similar.

Kulak had a step back at the start of last year with the stint in the ECHL, but he responded to it and has improved because of it.

Larry David
10-02-2015, 02:11 PM
I think it is more likely Nakladal, but before his injury Culkin looked really, really good at the Young Stars Tournament. I thought in September that he would be the one to be pushing for a spot.

Except Nakladal was sent down with Wotherspoon and Wilson is still around.

FBI
10-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Congrats to Kulak! Less than a year ago he was in the ECHL!

mile
10-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Wotherspoon is Gormley 3.0 (Gormley 2.0 is up in Edmonton right now)

Kulak and Culkin.

Can we stop presenting these as absolutes?

How Wotherspoon takes the demotion will decide whether or not he'll end up like Gormley. It's still early.

Kulak and Wilson are still at camp, so it's likely Hartley is referring to those two. Or even Nakladal. Culkin hasn't even skated at training camp.

Textcritic
10-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Except Nakladal was sent down with Wotherspoon and Wilson is still around.
So? You are presuming that Wilson and his PTO are directly equivalent to players who are already under contract with the organisation. Just because he is still here does not necessarily mean that he beat out Nakladal for a spot. He may only be here to practice with the team for another few days before the start of the season.

Otto-matic
10-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Joe out week to week with a thumb injury.

GranteedEV
10-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Can we stop presenting these as absolutes?

How Wotherspoon takes the demotion will decide whether or not he'll end up like Gormley. It's still early.

For sure. I don't think I presented it as an absolute, though.

Kulak and Wilson are still at camp, so it's likely Hartley is referring to those two. Or even Nakladal. Culkin hasn't even skated at training camp.

That's besides the point.

When you say

Kulak and ______

I say Culkin.

When I say

Culkin and ______

You say Kulak.

You can't just put someone else's name there.

SuperMatt18
10-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Have Kulak and Culkin ever been in the same room at the same time?

I personally feel like they are one person.

Strange Brew
10-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Colborne - this is really disappointing. Seems to have had a series of injuries to hand, wrist etc. No idea if its related but being able to stay healthy and in the lineup is a skill in its own right. Let's hope this is nothing serious because I was expecting a big jump.

Shore - Flames have to be disappointed a little here. I remember hearing from several media sources that the Flames were overjoyed when they landed him and thought they were getting a steal. Obviously his career is not over but I believe they were expecting him to be on the roster this year. As for all the attention at the trade deadline, I believe that was BT blowing smoke. I expect to see him in Stockton.

Kulak - the story of camp. What else to say?

Granlund - I had him voted very high in the prospect poll so happy to see him have a strong camp. Would love to see him flourish as a scorer this year.

Goalies - something going on here. If Ortio was to be sent down, I think they would have done it with the bigger group of players. There won't be 3 goalies all year long.

cannon7
10-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Hathaway kind of made the Shore discussion moot.

Larry David
10-02-2015, 02:29 PM
So? You are presuming that Wilson and his PTO are directly equivalent to players who are already under contract with the organisation. Just because he is still here does not necessarily mean that he beat out Nakladal for a spot. He may only be here to practice with the team for another few days before the start of the season.

Hey I might be wrong. I am making presumptions, you are right about that. I just think in context of the quote, and looking at who's remaining, Hartley was implying Kulak and Wilson. Whether or not Wilson has been given on a contract, he's still here and Nakladal isn't. Wilson can just as easily be released from his PTO as Nakladal can be sent down.

Bingo
10-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Granlund - I had him voted very high in the prospect poll so happy to see him have a strong camp. Would love to see him flourish as a scorer this year.

Wonder why they don't convert this guy to a winger and get him out of the faceoff dot.

He has the two way ability to plug and play if they adapt his game away from the team's greatest depth.

Enoch Root
10-02-2015, 02:30 PM
Colborne - this is really disappointing. Seems to have had a series of injuries to hand, wrist etc. No idea if its related but being able to stay healthy and in the lineup is a skill in its own right. Let's hope this is nothing serious because I was expecting a big jump.

Shore - Flames have to be disappointed a little here. I remember hearing from several media sources that the Flames were overjoyed when they landed him and thought they were getting a steal. Obviously his career is not over but I believe they were expecting him to be on the roster this year. As for all the attention at the trade deadline, I believe that was BT blowing smoke. I expect to see him in Stockton.

Kulak - the story of camp. What else to say?

Goalies - something going on here. If Ortio was to be sent down, I think they would have done it with the bigger group of players. There won't be 3 goalies all year long.
This is precisely why it is important to have lots of depth in the prospect pool - regardless of how talented, or how close they are, you never know who is going to continue to progress and who isn't.

Benched
10-02-2015, 02:30 PM
with guys like Anderson and Klyington in the system, you have to think that the time to take a step is soon....or get passed by again...

SuperMatt18
10-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Wonder why they don't convert this guy to a winger and get him out of the faceoff dot.

He has the two way ability to plug and play if they adapt his game away from the team's greatest depth.

His shot is probably better suited to the wing as well.

Could be deadly as more of a finishing winger if we decide to develop him that way. Would love to train him to be a LH/ RW, almost similar to Hudler in a way.

Strange Brew
10-02-2015, 02:35 PM

I could not agree more with this. I have to believe his long term future is on the wing. Hard to see him ever getting ahead of Monahan, Bennett or Backlund. Although Backlund is one guy that could one day be part of a meaningful trade. Granlund too for that matter.

GranteedEV
10-02-2015, 02:37 PM
His shot is probably better suited to the wing as well.

Could be deadly as more of a finishing winger if we decide to develop him that way. Would love to train him to be a LH/ RW, almost similar to Hudler in a way.

Granlund is definitely made to be a winger. Different parts of his game remind me of guys like Cammalleri, Eberle, and Hudler.

GioforPM
10-02-2015, 02:37 PM

I thought he ended up on wing as much as centre last year (mainly due to who he was replacing in the lineup).

Caged Great
10-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Have Kulak and Culkin ever been in the same room at the same time?

I personally feel like they are one person.

It's actually funny because they are very different people off the ice. Culkin is more of an easy going joker type, where Kulak is somewhat reserved and serious.

Roof-Daddy
10-02-2015, 03:31 PM
Good for Kulak.

I've been high on him and Culkin since the 2012 draft. Both have decent size, and both are great skaters with smarts as well. If Culkin could stay healthy I'm sure he'd be right in there with Brett as we speak.

I just love mobile two way D-men, and Hartley sure knows how to use them well.

dammage79
10-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Yup, congrats to Kulak for making this close to a roster spot. He's certainly earned it.

I didn't think Wotherspoon was bad or terrible, he just didn't stand out like Wilson or Kulak have. Hopefully this lights a fire under his butt. He has all the tools to be a really good D man in the NHL. Perhaps it is confidence or the lack thereof.

We're not decision makers but I will be pretty disappointed if Granlund doesn't lock up a spot. Contract stuff aside, he's earned a full time gig IMO. I am certain they'll make trades happen if need be. I just hope they feel as strongly about Granlunds camp as I do. Because they will make room for him if that is the case.

Shore was alright in camp. He does a lot of right things consistently, but like Wotherspoon, he just didn't do enough to jump out in front of the pack. He'll get claimed. If not, good for team depth.

Big time bummer about Colborne, like one reporter said though, this will give his surgically repaired wrist more time to properly heal up.

Ring of Fire
10-02-2015, 03:42 PM
I liked the Wotherspoon pick and 2011 and he has had good progression, but it seems he is at a crossroads in his development. He is a good skater and puck mover, but not outstanding in any category, nor has he shown the offensive potential to be a top-4 puck moving defenceman this training camp. I would think the Flames see Wotherspoon more as a bottom pairing defenceman who needs to add some physicality to his game while Wotherspoon may see himself as having higher potential. I hope has has a good year of development and takes Hartley's challenge to heart.

devo22
10-02-2015, 04:37 PM
Hope Shore clears, but wouldn't surprise if someone claims him. Either way, it was worth the gamble from the Flames' perspective.

Super excited for Kulak, what a step up from him.

Fire
10-02-2015, 05:01 PM
Unfortunately I think the Flames are probably working out a contract with Wilson. Otherwise he would probably be cut by now.

devo22
10-02-2015, 05:04 PM
Unfortunately I think the Flames are probably working out a contract with Wilson. Otherwise he would probably be cut by now.
I found Sportaks tweet interesting where he suggested claiming Diaz off waivers instead of signing Wilson. Probably not going to happen, but have to say I'd prefer that scenario.

MBates
10-02-2015, 05:06 PM

He specifically mentioned Wotherspoon finishing behind Kulak and Wilson earlier in the interview.

saillias
10-02-2015, 05:06 PM

I had the same thought, if you're going to let him go it should've happened last weekend or sometime the past week. If you release a PTO when preseason is pretty much over? You're sort of screwing the guy.

MBates
10-02-2015, 05:14 PM
I had the same thought, if you're going to let him go it should've happened last weekend or sometime the past week. If you release a PTO when preseason is pretty much over? You're sort of screwing the guy.

Hartley literally said the last spot is down to two guys...Kulak and Wilson...there's not much mystery...

Enoch Root
10-02-2015, 05:28 PM

No you're not, you're essentially giving him a continued try-out for all 30 teams.

saillias
10-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Hartley literally said the last spot is down to two guys...Kulak and Wilson...there's not much mystery...

Not sure what your point is but overusing ellipses is always fun.

getbak
10-02-2015, 05:31 PM
I found Sportaks tweet interesting where he suggested claiming Diaz off waivers instead of signing Wilson. Probably not going to happen, but have to say I'd prefer that scenario.

The problem with that is, if you claim Diaz, you have to keep him in Calgary, or likely lose him back to the Rangers if you try to send him down. Wilson would likely clear waivers if need be.

Enoch Root
10-02-2015, 05:31 PM
My point is that any team can sign him. And as long as the Flames continue to put him out there, he continues to have the chance to impress someone.

That is the furthest thing from screwing him.

MBates
10-02-2015, 05:40 PM
Not sure what your point is but overusing ellipses is always fun.

...everyone speculating...about...what was happening...with the final defence...spot...when the coach said...exactly...what was happening...seemed strange...to...me...that...was my point...

Plus...needed to...have some...ellipses fun...

dammage79
10-02-2015, 06:09 PM
...everyone speculating...about...what was happening...with the final defence...spot...when the coach said...exactly...what was happening...seemed strange...to...me...that...was my point...

Plus...needed to...have some...ellipses fun...

Just to finish this ellipses joke:

http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media/images/200307/kirk01/320x240.jpg

"I've..... GOT TO... MISTER!!"

Bandwagon In Flames
10-02-2015, 06:21 PM
The problem with that is, if you claim Diaz, you have to keep him in Calgary, or likely lose him back to the Rangers if you try to send him down. Wilson would likely clear waivers if need be.

So because Diaz is the better player and won't clear waivers, we should sign Wilson? Not sure they'd claim him anyways, as I'm assuming they put him on waivers for a reason. If they claim him then they're in the exact same position.

If we are in fact planning to sign Wilson then I would rather have Diaz instead. He's familiar with the team and the system. We already spent a full season teaching him how to play defense within the Flames system so I think it makes more sense.

Red Menace
10-02-2015, 07:53 PM
I think part of the thinking was to keep 2 lefty D around.
With 3 healthy Righties around there was no room for Nakladal to play.
Now Kulak and presumably Wilson can swap in with each other for the #6 spot along side Engelland.
I guess there is still a chance they go with just 6 D in order to keep 3 Goalies around.

polak
10-02-2015, 09:34 PM
Another vote for diaz.

OzSome
10-02-2015, 11:17 PM
People here are so high on Drew Shore. I've only seen him play well in one game late last season and that's it. He never impress me that is why I am not surprise of this move. Will someone claim him? I am guessing he will pass the waivers and play in Stockton. He hasn't shown anything that will get interest from the other team. I don't think it is big lost. I will rather see Granlund play for Calgary rather than Shore.

kyuss275
10-03-2015, 07:24 AM
Is the waiver wire to pick up Shore today or tomorrow? Would like him to pass through, but not heart broken if he gets picked up. Think he will pass.

getbak
10-03-2015, 07:47 AM
10am MT today.

sureLoss
10-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Everyone on waivers yesterday cleared

devo22
10-03-2015, 10:04 AM
Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg
Drew Shore has cleared waivers according to @FriedgeHNIC. Eligible to be assigned to Stockton at any point now. #Flames

Fire
10-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg
Drew Shore has cleared waivers according to @FriedgeHNIC. Eligible to be assigned to Stockton at any point now. #Flames

Good, he might become useful if the Flames run into a lot of injuries.

Enoch Root
10-03-2015, 10:39 AM
excellent - he will really strengthen the C position there, and is a solid call-up option for injuries

Enoch Root
10-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Klimchuk - Shore - Poirier
Agostino - Arnold - Hathaway?

and if Granlund goes down - yikes!

GranteedEV
10-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Agostino-Arnold-Poirier
Klimchuk-Shore-Hathaway
Lomberg-Elson-Caroll
BVB-Grant-Smith

Me like.

driveway
10-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Does he need to pass through waivers again on the way back up, or is it just when sent down?

CMPunk
10-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Does he need to pass through waivers again on the way back up, or is it just when sent down?

Just down...recall waivers is a thing of the past

devo22
10-03-2015, 10:58 AM
also waiver exempt for 10 NHL games or 30 days now, whatever comes first.

Erick Estrada
10-03-2015, 11:31 AM
Agostino-Arnold-Poirier
Klimchuk-Shore-Hathaway
Lomberg-Elson-Caroll
BVB-Grant-Smith

Me like.

Not a bad lineup. It will be interesting to see how much fan support they will get. The team looks like they will be fairly solid.

Cali Panthers Fan
10-03-2015, 11:34 AM
Not surprised Shore cleared. He had a very mediocre camp. He has a lot of NHL tools, but hasn't been effective at that level. Still, in the event that a call up is needed for center (which is inevitable with Backlund on the team), he's a dependable option.

You have to wonder how long it will be before Arnold permanently moves past him on the depth chart. He had his camp cut short with a freak dental injury and didn't get a chance to show what he could do. I suspect we'll be seeing Arnold at some point this season.

Lanny_McDonald
10-03-2015, 11:45 AM
I don't understand the love for Shore. He's not that much more than Corban Knight was, and he had fallen down the depth chart. To me, Shore really needs to step his game up and assert himself more. That means using that big body and getting to the net more often. That is the only way he'll find his way back to the NHL.

Gaskal
10-03-2015, 11:49 AM
I don't understand the love for Shore. He's not that much more than Corban Knight was, and he had fallen down the depth chart. To me, Shore really needs to step his game up and assert himself more. That means using that big body and getting to the net more often. That is the only way he'll find his way back to the NHL.
We were hoping he'd be doing stuff like this.

http://giant.gfycat.com/ScrawnyBarrenBoto.gif

He hasn't, nor has he really contributed a lot to the team to warrant staying either, so no surprise from me.

RedHot25
10-03-2015, 11:50 AM

I've often wondered if a bit of it is the "talk about your prospects/players to try to artificially inflate their value a bit". There is a bit of chatter that Alex Anthopolous with the Jays does this in baseball for example; talk them up, mention them more, play them with the big club here and there, etc...to try and make them have a tiny bit more attractiveness in any potential trade (just in general - not saying one is going to happen in this particular instance).

Strange Brew
10-03-2015, 12:40 PM
I've often wondered if a bit of it is the "talk about your prospects/players to try to artificially inflate their value a bit". There is a bit of chatter that Alex Anthopolous with the Jays does this in baseball for example; talk them up, mention them more, play them with the big club here and there, etc...to try and make them have a tiny bit more attractiveness in any potential trade (just in general - not saying one is going to happen in this particular instance).

This. If Shore was the most sought after Flame at the deadline per BT, someone would have picked him up for nothing a few months later.

I am glad we have him for depth, and he certainly would not be the first player to make an impact in the NHL a little later in his career. But for comparison sake, I think we're looking at a Max Reinhart or Corban Knight.

dino7c
10-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Very rare that players are picked up off waivers this time of year...teams are trying to get their own numbers down

rare maybe the wrong choice...it happens but its easier to sneak someone through at this time of year

kyuss275
10-03-2015, 12:51 PM
This. If Shore was the most sought after Flame at the deadline per BT, someone would have picked him up for nothing a few months later.

I am glad we have him for depth, and he certainly would not be the first player to make an impact in the NHL a little later in his career. But for comparison sake, I think we're looking at a Max Reinhart or Corban Knight.

The deadline and beginning of a regular season are 2 completley different situations. Teams might have wanted to see what he had for the rest of the season last year. That does not mean they want him in their line-up for an entire year. He also didn't show much this pre-season and other teams scouts probably saw that. Also just because the flames recieved calls on him at the deadline does not mean they were offering anything of substance. For all we know he was being offered 5th/6th round picks or other "meh" prospects.

Enoch Root
10-03-2015, 01:22 PM

BT did not say that.

Fire
10-03-2015, 03:09 PM
BT did not say that.

I believe he did say something about getting a lot of calls about Shore.

Flames Draft Watcher
10-03-2015, 03:15 PM
BT did not say that.

Pretty sure he did. I remember that interview. didn't say he was the most sought after but I think he said he got the most calls about drew shore.

Enoch Root
10-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Strange Brew claims that BT said "Shore was the most sought after Flame"

Pretty sure BT said something to the effect of: there was a lot of interest

Those are two completely different things.

GranteedEV
10-03-2015, 03:40 PM
I'm pretty sure Bennett, Monahan, Gaudreau, Brodie, Gio, Hudler, and Backlund were the most sought-after Flames last year.

Gaudfather
10-03-2015, 03:59 PM
There is always a lot of interest until someone has to write a cheque!

Strange Brew
10-03-2015, 11:35 PM
Strange Brew claims that BT said "Shore was the most sought after Flame"

Pretty sure BT said something to the effect of: there was a lot of interest

Those are two completely different things.

Not sure why you are parsing words. At a minimum, BT said they received a number of calls on Shore. He was singled out in BT's comments and I'm fairly certain it was not in response to a specific question about the player. So I will grant you that other Flames may have been more sought after and BT did not bring them up. Doesn't change the point whatsoever. Shore is what he is. Not a highly sought after commodity since those don't pass through waivers at any point in the season.