PDA

View Full Version : Florida Panthers 10 hour ticket blitz for opening night.

dash_pinched
10-01-2015, 08:25 AM
Operators are standing by.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQPKIYVWcAAM3iS.jpg:medium

codynw
10-01-2015, 08:27 AM
I pay more than that for Lethbridge Hurricanes tickets.

demzor
10-01-2015, 08:31 AM

I pay more for Melfort Mustangs tickets

How the hell do the Panthers survive?

heep223
What a disaster

FlamesAddiction
Ladies and gentlemen, your 2016 Quebec Nordiques!

That is how they should introduce them on opening night. Maybe people will get the hint.

heep223
10-01-2015, 08:51 AM
I pay more for Melfort Mustangs tickets

How the hell do the Panthers survive?

They lose a ton of money, successful teams subsidize part of the loss, and the owner writes a cheque every year.

ToraToraTora
10-01-2015, 08:52 AM

My Flames season tickets are only slightly higher than Hurricanes tickets.

Yet another reason I don't go to canes games.

Drak
10-01-2015, 08:53 AM
Move em to a hockey worthy location. Quebec would be good.

codynw
10-01-2015, 08:56 AM
My Flames season tickets are only slightly higher than Hurricanes tickets.

Yet another reason I don't go to canes games.

I should say "face value of Lethbridge Hurricanes tickets is higher than that".

Because I rarely pay for Hurricanes tickets. I usually go for free.

Cali Panthers Fan
10-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Calm down everyone. It's just to make sure it's a pretty full building for opening night. Hockey isn't big on the radar here, so this is how they promote the team. It's just something you have to do here that isn't necessary in big hockey markets.

There are plenty of tickets sold all year long, and the building is full when teams like Montreal, Toronto, and the New York teams are visiting. They probably operate at a loss, but it's not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

sharkov
10-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Cheaper than a movie ticket

heep223
10-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Calm down everyone. It's just to make sure it's a pretty full building for opening night. Hockey isn't big on the radar here, so this is how they promote the team. It's just something you have to do here that isn't necessary in big hockey markets.

There are plenty of tickets sold all year long, and the building is full when teams like Montreal, Toronto, and the New York teams are visiting. They probably operate at a loss, but it's not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

According to Forbes they are operating at around a $20M loss every year. So I guess it depends on what your definition of "bad" is.

mikephoen
10-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Don't forget, those tickets are U.S. dollars. In a few more months $10 U.S. will buy a house in Canada.

jayswin
10-01-2015, 11:09 AM

Make no mistake, Panthers attendance has been minuscule the past two seasons, like horribad. The building is full (ish) when those teams come because the arena is full of Leaf, Rangers and Habs fans.

http://thumb.usatodaysportsimages.com/image/thumb/540-390nw/8302685.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCPj-1OPhocgCFVE3iAod3ecGow&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fsports%2Fnhl%2 Fevent%2F2014%2F20395%2Fgallery%2F&bvm=bv.104317490,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNH417fANbwlWP3AdbMa2MLkt-Hibg&ust=1443805744008798)

Cali Panthers Fan
10-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Make no mistake, Panthers attendance has been minuscule the past two seasons, like horribad. The building is full (ish) when those teams come because the arena is full of Leaf, Rangers and Habs fans.

http://thumb.usatodaysportsimages.com/image/thumb/540-390nw/8302685.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCPj-1OPhocgCFVE3iAod3ecGow&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fsports%2Fnhl%2 Fevent%2F2014%2F20395%2Fgallery%2F&bvm=bv.104317490,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNH417fANbwlWP3AdbMa2MLkt-Hibg&ust=1443805744008798)

Yes, I'm aware that's the reason, but it's also because Panthers fans sell their tickets to those fans because they can make a sizable profit. The exact same thing happens in hockey crazy Calgary and everyone complains about how many rival fans are in the building.

It doesn't matter who buys the tickets, as long as tickets are sold.

Bandwagon In Flames
10-01-2015, 11:21 AM

Sorry Cali, but I'm going to reserve judgement until Florida Flames Fan chimes in.

Cali Panthers Fan
10-01-2015, 11:26 AM
^I've tried to get a name change from the mods, but they refuse.

However, Flameswin gets a change to Jayswin in the blink of an eye. :(

jayswin
10-01-2015, 11:32 AM

Hint: Kevanguy likes cheeseburgers. ;)

PegCityFlamesFan
10-01-2015, 11:46 AM
At least they sweetened the pot with a fridge magnet.

Joborule
10-01-2015, 12:01 PM
The Panthers are definitely going to be the first team to relocate in the near future. Seattle should be ready by then. Unless a wild card like Milwaukee, Hartford, or Kansas City puts a serious bid.

Bandwagon In Flames
10-01-2015, 12:27 PM
The Panthers are definitely going to be the first team to relocate in the near future. Seattle should be ready by then. Unless a wild card like Milwaukee, Hartford, or Kansas City puts a serious bid.

What makes Florida more likely than Phoenix?

dino7c
10-01-2015, 12:28 PM
good thing our high ticket prices pay them rev-share

Joborule
10-01-2015, 12:30 PM
What makes Florida more likely than Phoenix?

Phoenix has had ownership issues, and have had commitments locally as well from the league to keep it there. Whereas Florida has been stable for the most part, but still can't establish a grounded fanbase. Sure, they haven't been that successful on the ice consistently, but they have been in the playoffs in recent years, that they should be able to get a bit more butts in the crowd than they do now.

I'm not saying Arizona won't move in the near future as well, but I think when the Panthers move, it won't be done with much kicking and screaming, and more of a simple pack up bags and go like Atlanta to Winnipeg was.

BigT112
10-01-2015, 12:32 PM
good thing our high ticket prices pay them rev-share

Revenue sharing saved the Flames, Oilers and Canucks in the 90s from going the way of the Jets and Nordiques. Can't really say anything bad about it. While I think the Panthers should be moved, can't fault them for trying to get butts into the seats. It's gotta get old when out of town media comments on your empty building nightly.

Resolute 14
10-01-2015, 12:37 PM
FWIW, the Panthers had a 90% renewal rate on their season tickets from last year, and added 2000 new STHs. So they should actually show improvement this year.

One of the other big things about the Panthers is that the owners lose a ton of money on the team, but make a fair bit of it back via their management contract for the arena. As is usually the case, the bigger picture may not be as terrible as we assume. But like Atlanta and Phoenix, the future of the Panthers will depend almost exclusively on the existence of an owner willing to operate a team in that market. There is literally nothing a bunch of fan whining about the attendance can do to change that.

Fighting Banana Slug
10-01-2015, 12:37 PM
I would have thought Philly would have been a reasonable draw for them.

$10 is nuts, how many season ticket holders are there? The danger with this sort of thing is that it would piss of season ticket holders if done on a regular basis. (assuming season tickets aren't going that cheap).

Bring_Back_Shantz
10-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Phoenix has had ownership issues, and have had commitments locally as well from the league to keep it there. Whereas Florida has been stable for the most part, but still can't establish a grounded fanbase. Sure, they haven't been that successful on the ice consistently, but they have been in the playoffs in recent years, that they should be able to get a bit more butts in the crowd than they do now.

I'm not saying Arizona won't move in the near future as well, but I think when the Panthers move, it won't be done with much kicking and screaming, and more of a simple pack up bags and go like Atlanta to Winnipeg was.

As I understand it, the owners in Florida have exclusive rights to the arena which makes them a lot more money than the Panthers lose. However part of that deal is that the primary tennant is a hockey team.
No hockey team = no areana deal = no profit overall.

So yeah, the Panters as a team are lsoing money, but they are a requirement for the larger business to make money, so they are a lot more stable than most people think.

Finger Cookin
10-01-2015, 12:44 PM

C'mon, mods.

topfiverecords
10-01-2015, 01:02 PM
Here's next years promotion.
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb15/smashcard/Flames/panthers_zps5n2xcwqj.jpg

Joborule
10-01-2015, 01:09 PM
FWIW, the Panthers had a 90% renewal rate on their season tickets from last year, and added 2000 new STHs. So they should actually show improvement this year.

One of the other big things about the Panthers is that the owners lose a ton of money on the team, but make a fair bit of it back via their management contract for the arena. As is usually the case, the bigger picture may not be as terrible as we assume. But like Atlanta and Phoenix, the future of the Panthers will depend almost exclusively on the existence of an owner willing to operate a team in that market. There is literally nothing a bunch of fan whining about the attendance can do to change that.

As I understand it, the owners in Florida have exclusive rights to the arena which makes them a lot more money than the Panthers lose. However part of that deal is that the primary tennant is a hockey team.
No hockey team = no areana deal = no profit overall.

So yeah, the Panters as a team are lsoing money, but they are a requirement for the larger business to make money, so they are a lot more stable than most people think.

I've heard of this, but does anyone have an article source for this? I wonder just how much money they make by keeping the Panthers operational there, despite not getting much game-to-game revenue.

Jay Random
10-01-2015, 01:25 PM
Last season I was hearing that the Panthers were actually losing money faster than the arena made money, and the owners had applied to the county to renegotiate the deal so they would no longer be required to put a hockey team there.

Cali Panthers Fan
10-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Last season I was hearing that the Panthers were actually losing money faster than the arena made money, and the owners had applied to the county to renegotiate the deal so they would no longer be required to put a hockey team there.

This is all true, but the team made it seem much worse than it actually was, and Florida residents are really stingy when it comes to paying for community projects, so it's no shock at all that it didn't happen. It was a play by ownership to try and get more money out of the community since the gates admissions weren't amazing yet.

I suspect that the team will draw better this year with someone like Jagr to market along with the young 3 of Huberdeau, Barkov, and Bjugstad....Oh yeah, and Ekblad. Last year they relied heavily on Luongo for marketing as he was the only marketable player. Now people know who Willie Mitchell is and get excited about him. It just takes longer to market the team here because most people completely wrote them off.

Cali Panthers Fan
10-01-2015, 03:26 PM

Just one time since 1999/2000, which was the 2011-2012 season...so already 4 years ago. That was the year they threw a bunch of veterans together with some guys that nobody else wanted, everyone had surprisingly good years, and they somehow ended up 1st in the Southeast Division with just 94 points. Not exactly a good enough season to overcome a decade of ineptitude when you're out of the playoffs the next season.

People quickly forget that the Flames had difficulty during the Young Guns era when it came to filling the building. That's in Calgary...now think about how it would go over in Florida with much, much less on-ice success. It's easy to make fun of the Panthers half-empty building, but show me any team that wouldn't be in the same situation with those same results.

I've talked to a lot of people down here, and they're just fed up with watching a losing team. they really liked the Panthers in the 90s, but there's been nothing to even cheer for since then. Go to the stadium and there are still shrines to players from the 90s, and everyone still talks about Pavel Bure's time as being memorable, but they haven't had any marketable talent or any success to build a fanbase on.

It's not like South Florida is ever going to be a hotbed of hockey like Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, Boston, or Chicago, so let's get that clear. But success puts butts in seats, and until there is sustained success here it will always be a challenge to fill the building. End of story.

Resolute 14
10-01-2015, 05:54 PM
I've heard of this, but does anyone have an article source for this? I wonder just how much money they make by keeping the Panthers operational there, despite not getting much game-to-game revenue.

The numbers are old, but: http://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/11/16/3654718/2012-nhl-lockout-Florida-panthers-profits-arena-losses-money-revenue

And the team owner would certainly like to use the team losses to get an even better deal from Broward County, even if the arena company is profitable because of the Panthers. Downloading costs is just good business. But what sticks in my mind about the Panthers and their viability is that it was noted at least once last year that Broward County has done some studies to determine the financial viability of the facility would be without the Panthers.

Mr.Coffee
10-01-2015, 07:02 PM
the Panthers are in Sunrise, Florida. When I was in Miami, my brothers and I went to a game down there vs. the Penguins and it was one of the first visits by Crosby. The building was largely empty and the fans in the building didn't even know what hockey was. I remember they would broadcast the rules on the jumbotron, like what offsides are for example- and the number of scalpers outside the building was hilarious (lots, and you could secure tickets for like $5.

I recall the drive to get there from Miami was a little long, and traffic was a bit of an issue. I remember thinking it was sort of out of the way and if they had a way to get the arena in downtown Miami they'd be much better off.

Honestly, I think arena location is a huge deal. Look at Phoenix as another example... you need a place that's relatively easily accessible. It was annoying having to drive a ways out to get to that Panther game.

dino7c
10-01-2015, 11:59 PM
Revenue sharing saved the Flames, Oilers and Canucks in the 90s from going the way of the Jets and Nordiques. Can't really say anything bad about it. While I think the Panthers should be moved, can't fault them for trying to get butts into the seats. It's gotta get old when out of town media comments on your empty building nightly.

You honestly think the league would have lost half the Canadian teams? besides that was before the salary cap. If you can't be make it work in this system than GTFO, Flames included

Jay Random
10-02-2015, 01:29 AM
You honestly think the league would have lost half the Canadian teams? besides that was before the salary cap. If you can't be make it work in this system than GTFO, Flames included

Ken King himself has said the Flames would have left town – or folded. There was simply no business case for operating a small-market Canadian NHL team with a 65-cent dollar and no salary cap.

As for ‘GTFO’: Revenue sharing is part of the system now, every bit as much as the salary cap. If you don't like it, maybe you're the one who should GTFO.

BigT112
10-02-2015, 08:23 AM

Yes, I do believe they would have lost half the Canadian teams without revenue sharing. Many people close to the Flames said they were going to move or fold when the Canadian dollar was at 65 cents. Maybe you don't remember the "Save the Flames" season ticket drive from the late 90s. Gary Bettman fought hard to get revenue sharing to save the struggling Canadian teams, something we tend to forget.

Now it's helping to keep the Panthers and other teams afloat, and I have no problem with that. Just because there is a salary cap, doesn't mean teams should be rolling in money. It balances the playing field and makes the league healthier as a whole. If you really hate revenue sharing so much, stop paying for tickets. It's simple.

Resolute 14
10-02-2015, 09:14 AM

Yes, we would have. Edmonton, Calgary and Ottawa were all hanging by threads. And they all would have been gone without things like revenue sharing. Trying to defend your argument with "that was before the salary cap" doesn't change the fact that your smugness is misplaced given you are casting stones from your glass house.

The system is such that we are paying the revenue sharing money regardless. It doesn't actually matter who receives it.

CroFlames
10-02-2015, 10:27 AM
How quickly some folks forget. Clubs and leagues go through cycles of good times and bad. As many have mentioned already, many Canadian teams with die hard fan bases struggled to stay, including the Flames. I remember well the lottery to save the Flames & Oilers.

Now the Flames and Oilers basically print money, and are now supporting franchises that can't do it themselves. It's cyclical. However, cases can be made to relocate perpetual money losers like Phoenix when there are better options available like potentially QC, Vegas, or Seattle.

At the end of the day though, does it really matter which billionaire your dollars go to? Whether there is rev-sharing or not, you purchase entertainment at a certain dollar amount. If those dollars get spread out, what is the big deal? In fact, you'll likely get more entertaining hockey with rev-share than without.

FlamesAddiction
10-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Yes, we would have. Edmonton, Calgary and Ottawa were all hanging by threads. And they all would have been gone without things like revenue sharing. Trying to defend your argument with "that was before the salary cap" doesn't change the fact that your smugness is misplaced given you are casting stones from your glass house.

The system is such that we are paying the revenue sharing money regardless. It doesn't actually matter who receives it.

The NHL needs Canadian teams. Canada promotes the game more than the US and produces a bulk of the players, not to mention better TV deals. It's true that some of the teams were doing poorly economically, but it was certainly in the interest of every team in the league to keep as many teams as possible in Canada at the time.

Would anyone really miss the Panthers in a few years? I don't see them having a lot of intrinsic value to the league in general. I doubt we would see many "bring back the Panthers" rallies. Not that I care if they stay or leave. It's not really a concern of mine, but I wouldn't put much effort into keeping them there.

FBI
10-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Cali flames fan would miss them heh

Jay Random
10-02-2015, 02:11 PM
The NHL needs Canadian teams. Canada promotes the game more than the US and produces a bulk of the players, not to mention better TV deals. It's true that some of the teams were doing poorly economically, but it was certainly in the interest of every team in the league to keep as many teams as possible in Canada at the time.

Actually, it wasn't. As I recall, the Leafs were opposed to the currency equalization scheme or any other method of bailing out the small-market Canadian teams. They figured they could go back to the glory days before 1967, when they had the English-language media all to themselves from coast to coast.

Resolute 14
10-02-2015, 02:34 PM

Honestly, that is grossly arrogant. There is nothing at all about Calgary or Edmonton or Ottawa that is more important than Winnipeg or Quebec City. At that time, Canada was not generating much revenue at all relative to the US cities. Montreal and Toronto they would want to keep. The rest of us? The owners of the time would not have cared.

Would anyone really miss the Panthers in a few years? I don't see them having a lot of intrinsic value to the league in general. I doubt we would see many "bring back the Panthers" rallies. Not that I care if they stay or leave. It's not really a concern of mine, but I wouldn't put much effort into keeping them there.

You aren't in the business of operating an NHL team, so I doubt very many people are too concerned about how concerned you are.

FlamesAddiction
10-02-2015, 02:57 PM
Honestly, that is grossly arrogant. There is nothing at all about Calgary or Edmonton or Ottawa that is more important than Winnipeg or Quebec City. At that time, Canada was not generating much revenue at all relative to the US cities. Montreal and Toronto they would want to keep. The rest of us? The owners of the time would not have cared.
I am not implying that Calgary, Edmonton or Ottawa are more important than Winnipeg or Quebec City. Just that after losing 2 teams, the NHL made the correct decision for the whole league to implement currency equalization. The fact the Canadian markets in recent times punched well above their weight to the economic growth of the league justified whatever safety nets they put in place at the time.

You aren't in the business of operating an NHL team, so I doubt very many people are too concerned about how concerned you are.

Yeah, that was necessary.

Vulcan
10-02-2015, 03:09 PM

The fact of the matter is, we were sending more TV money south per team than we received in equalization payments, so it wasn't the American teams and Bettman being altruistic.

FlamingLonghorn
10-02-2015, 03:18 PM
The fact of the matter is, we were sending more TV money south per team than we received in equalization payments, so it wasn't the American teams and Bettman being altruistic.

Do you have a source for that information? Not questioning you, but something I would be interested in seeing.

Vulcan
10-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Do you have a source for that information? Not questioning you, but something I would be interested in seeing.

I gave links back in the old Phoenix thread but here's what I found in a quick search.

These numbers are a bit out of date so not 100% accurate, but:

Canadian assistance program: $20M/y
CBC TV deal: $65M/y
Versus TV deal: $72.5M/y

If the CBC revenue stayed in Canada, there wouldn't have been a Canadian assistance program.

Re: currency, when the dollar was at 65c US purchasing power was still >80c US, so it was undervalued then. Historic lows aren't "normal levels". Not to mention oil will go up when the economy recovers and the CAD is essentially a petrodollar. And our banks are the best in the world, huzzah!

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=1837827&highlight=CBC+TV+deal#post1837827

Cleveland Steam Whistle
10-02-2015, 04:05 PM

To be honest, even your attempt to make it not sound so bad, sounds pretty bad.

JonDuke
11-21-2015, 09:35 AM
Bump

New holiday promo:
Crazy. I don't understand how they're still in business.

Link: (http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?This%2Bdeal%2Bbeing%2Boffered%2Bby%2Bth e%2BPanthers%2Bwill%2Bmake%2BCanadian%2BNHL%2Bfans %2Bvery%2Bjealous&id=566147)

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/2015/11/21/panthers_39450.jpg

White Out 403
11-21-2015, 09:47 AM
For 99 bucks and all those perks it'd consider flying in for a jets game with the wife. What a deal. Hard to imagine how they are still in Miami. That team must be losing money at incredible levels.

CroFlames
11-21-2015, 09:51 AM
Bump

New holiday promo:

Link: (http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?This%2Bdeal%2Bbeing%2Boffered%2Bby%2Bth e%2BPanthers%2Bwill%2Bmake%2BCanadian%2BNHL%2Bfans %2Bvery%2Bjealous&id=566147)

To be fair, having your photo taken on the ice probably doesn't cost that much :whistle:

sharkov
11-21-2015, 09:57 AM
$99 can sure go a long way. Throw in an autograph jersey then deal

DazzlinDino
11-21-2015, 10:00 AM
Don't forget, those tickets are U.S. dollars. In a few more months $10 U.S. will buy a house in Canada.

Is that before, or after taxes?

CroFlames
11-21-2015, 10:05 AM
Beware guys, MTL, NYR & CHI are blacked out. Deal doesn't apply for those games.

And Flames already played the Panthers otherwise I'd be all over this.

sureLoss
11-21-2015, 10:08 AM
With how many free tickets that organization has given away over the years, this is probably an increase in revenue

Passe La Puck
11-21-2015, 10:16 AM
2 park passes for 99$ not a bad deal! Plus some random hockey crap to re-gift at christmas, win win!

topfiverecords
11-21-2015, 10:42 AM
Bump

New holiday promo:

Can't be legit. Airfare and hotel not included.

CroFlames
11-21-2015, 11:11 AM
Of course it's legit, go to the panthers website.

Obviously airfare and hotel aren't included LOL.

Yoho
11-21-2015, 11:40 AM
Of course it's legit, go to the panthers website.

Obviously airfare and hotel aren't included LOL.

I think his post was green text

Jordan!
11-21-2015, 11:42 PM
Can't say I've ever seen a deal for a coyotes game remotely like that.

getbak
11-22-2015, 02:12 AM
Can't say I've ever seen a deal for a coyotes game remotely like that.

https://marketinghockey.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/pp.jpg

Resolute 14
11-22-2015, 08:20 AM
Not to mention the $16 playoff ticket offer from a couple years ago:

http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/5/164573/2269904/coyotes2.jpg

jayswin
11-22-2015, 07:43 PM
Haha, I admire Jordon's passion for the Coyotes, but one of my favorite things on CP is when he tries to pull the wool over everyone's eyes about coyotes support like it's 1992 and we can't see every story/promotion/attendance figure just as easily as anyone in Arizona.

"Nope, not sure what you Canadians are seeing from way up north there, but everything's different down here, sellouts, no promotions, hell we have a Coyotes rally every Sunday of the year with 250k people. It's just all Coyotes all the time, baby!"