PDA

View Full Version : [News] TSN Ranks Giordano 27th in NHL

GranteedEV
09-30-2015, 06:47 PM
Link (http://www.tsn.ca/crosby-no-1-for-sixth-straight-year-on-tsn-s-top-50-list-1.368712)

...Yay?

Also: McDavid is already better than Hudler, Gaudreau, Monahan etc. Lulz.

codynw
09-30-2015, 06:51 PM
McDavid 37th with 0 games played?

lol

Finger Cookin
09-30-2015, 07:17 PM
Neat!

sharkov
09-30-2015, 07:19 PM
underrated!

Vulcan
09-30-2015, 07:20 PM
Giordano 7th among defencemen.

Nehkara
09-30-2015, 07:23 PM
Also 7th best defenceman... err... What Vulcan said.

Poe969
09-30-2015, 07:55 PM
What number was Mattewes?

That was such a joke, kind of insulting to any player below him since realistically he isn't really in the NHL.

Textcritic
09-30-2015, 07:55 PM
How is Gaudreau not on this list?

burnitdown
09-30-2015, 07:59 PM
How is Gaudreau not on this list?

Seems like a fairly legit top 50. Not sure who you'd slot Gaudreau ahead of? Most names that made it are legit stars. McDavid, Hall and maybe Sedin seem like they don't belong and could allow Gaudreau to slot in but I'm sure there's another 10-20 similar guys on the cusp that you could make an equal case for.

Textcritic
09-30-2015, 08:08 PM
Seems like a fairly legit top 50. Not sure who you'd slot Gaudreau ahead of? Most names that made it are legit stars. McDavid, Hall and maybe Sedin seem like they don't belong and could allow Gaudreau to slot in but I'm sure there's another 10-20 similar guys on the cusp that you could make an equal case for.
I would put Gaudreau ahead all of them, but also the likes of Pavelski, Pacioretti, Parise, Duchene, McDonough, Nash, and Burns.

dieHARDflameZ
09-30-2015, 08:22 PM
McDavid in the top 50 with 0 GP is a bloody joke.

Crumpy-Gunt
09-30-2015, 08:26 PM
Lmao

btimbit
09-30-2015, 08:36 PM

For sure. Another great season then Gaudreau should definitely be on there, but after just one, it makes sense to leave him.

Same arguement should apply for McDavid though. Hasn't even played yet ffs

The Hendog
09-30-2015, 08:36 PM
Karlsson seems high to me
I feel like him and PK have some Eastern Canada bias
I much prefer Gio over both of them

calumniate
09-30-2015, 08:47 PM
I would put Gaudreau ahead all of them, but also the likes of Pavelski, Pacioretti, Parise, Duchene, McDonough, Nash, and Burns.

Pacioretti, burns? Soon I imagine but pretty early. These guys are good

KootenayFlamesFan
09-30-2015, 08:56 PM
Why stop at 37? TSN should have just put McDavid in the top 5 and got it over with. I mean, if he hasn't played a game and can be in the top 40 you might as well just go all the way.

calgaryblood
09-30-2015, 09:01 PM
Karlsson seems high to me
I feel like him and PK have some Eastern Canada bias
I much prefer Gio over both of them

Over PK Subaan and Karlsson? That seems like Flames bias. I'm a huge Gio fan but I'd take both those guys over Gio. Karlsson is somewhat debatable but PK is a great defenceman and he's still young.

dammage79
09-30-2015, 09:03 PM
Well, now. I wasn't really paying attention to all the McJesus hype but Eichel has outperformed him by every measure in this short pre-season. EVERY measure. Where's Eichel? The hype is getting absurd. McDavid is going to bust purely on hype alone. I get the hype from Edmonton's POV, it's their thing and he does deserve some of it from Edmonton, but nationally? Come on, these kids shouldn't even crack the top 100 on this kind of list. There's an R word that's not PC I'd like to use to describe this instance.

vilzeh
09-30-2015, 09:04 PM
That is just pathetic.

neo45
09-30-2015, 09:07 PM
I really don't think there are 22 players better than Datsyuk

Strange Brew
09-30-2015, 09:08 PM
McDavid makes about zero sense. You either leave him off the list because he has yet to do anything at all in the NHL (my choice) or you put him almost right at the top since there's almost no one in the league you trade him for.

I don't think Gio is that far off where he should be.

Monahan and Gaudreau are awfully close to belonging on here and should be next year. Hudler maybe deserves it based on play right now.

dammage79
09-30-2015, 09:09 PM
Tavares should be bumped down about 4 spots but that is purely a point of view. Kids a stud but he's not better than at least Ovie Stamkos and Doughty.

Northendzone
09-30-2015, 09:14 PM
I dunno, I see McDavid as a 600 g/700 a guy easy........

dammage79
09-30-2015, 09:16 PM
I like the HM at #51 to Ekblad. He at least has done something to get a mention.

GranteedEV
09-30-2015, 09:18 PM
There's an R word that's not PC I'd like to use to describe this instance.

Reform?

Sorry, I'll just go face this corner.

Hackey
09-30-2015, 09:32 PM
37 seems fair for McDavid. If McDavid is available at pick 37 in my hockey pool I'm taking him.

trublmaker
09-30-2015, 09:36 PM
37 seems fair for McDavid. If McDavid is available at pick 37 in my hockey pool I'm taking him.

Always given never earned ??

#-3
09-30-2015, 09:43 PM
I'm with Hackey.

No reason to believe Gio wont take at least a small step back. Career season in his mid 30s, coming off an injury, just signed a big deal, improved depth (less quality ice time to go around). I like Gio, but top 7 in the league is very reasonable.

Lots of reasons to believe McDivid will be a top 50 pool guy fairly quickly, he will at least get the ice time.

Hudler, Monahan, and Gaudreau don't worry me.
As long as we know Johnny will just keep doing Johnny things.

blender
09-30-2015, 09:46 PM
When Gaudreau wins the Art Ross this season he will be ranked next year.

T@T
09-30-2015, 09:50 PM
When Gaudreau wins the Art Ross this season he will be ranked next year.
Just behind McJesus.

trublmaker
09-30-2015, 10:08 PM
I'm with Hackey.

No reason to believe Gio wont take at least a small step back. Career season in his mid 30s, coming off an injury, just signed a big deal, improved depth (less quality ice time to go around). I like Gio, but top 7 in the league is very reasonable.

Lots of reasons to believe McDivid will be a top 50 pool guy fairly quickly, he will at least get the ice time.

Hudler, Monahan, and Gaudreau don't worry me.
As long as we know Johnny will just keep doing Johnny things.

This isn't about who you'd pick in your pool this is about the best players in the NHL of which McGod has ZERO games played

GreenLantern2814
09-30-2015, 10:11 PM
I may have gone off a little bit on this without reading up about how it actually works. It's still mickey mouse, but it's less mickey mouse than I thought.

And we absolutely should do our own. I'll start the poll.

GranteedEV
09-30-2015, 10:17 PM
The foundation of this list is mickey mouse, it doesn't even merit a response. We might as well have done it.

Actually, we should absolutely do that. I'll start the poll.

1) Sidney Crosby
2) Mark Giordano
3) Johnny Gaudreau
4) Sean Monahan
5) John Tavares
6) Jiri Hudler
7) Alex Ovechkin
8) TJ Brodie
9) PK Subban
10) Dougie Hamilton
11) Oliver Kylington
12) Drew Doughty
13) Anze Kopitar
14) Carey Price
15) Joni Ortio
16) Duncan Keith
17) Evgeni Malkin
18) Mikael Backlund
19) Patrice Bergeron
20) Ryan Getzlaf
21) Sam Bennett
22) Erik Karlsson
23) Kris Russell
24) Pekka Rinne
25) Not Jonas Hiller, so Jonathan Toews.

Am I doing this right?

d_phaneuf
09-30-2015, 10:19 PM
Even just in the Pacific

Sedin
Monahan
Thornton

I guarantee Edmonton won't want McDavid matched up against those 3, and if they do he's going to be hemmed in his own zone the entire time

Cleveland Steam Whistle
09-30-2015, 10:23 PM
Always given never earned ??
It's an opinion piece by a media outlet making an educated prediction. It's not a competition for roster spots, not a contract negotiation, not a formal NHL awards ceremony.

Always earned does not apply here. Based on the information available to them, TSN is willing to make the assessment that McD is a top 50 talent in e NHL. Fair enough IMO, and now well see if they got it right, too low or too high.

GreenLantern2814
09-30-2015, 11:06 PM
1) Sidney Crosby
2) Mark Giordano
3) Johnny Gaudreau
4) Sean Monahan
5) John Tavares
6) Jiri Hudler
7) Alex Ovechkin
8) TJ Brodie
9) PK Subban
10) Dougie Hamilton
11) Oliver Kylington
12) Drew Doughty
13) Anze Kopitar
14) Carey Price
15) Joni Ortio
16) Duncan Keith
17) Evgeni Malkin
18) Mikael Backlund
19) Patrice Bergeron
20) Ryan Getzlaf
21) Sam Bennett
22) Erik Karlsson
23) Kris Russell
24) Pekka Rinne
25) Not Jonas Hiller, so Jonathan Toews.

Am I doing this right?

Kylington ahead of Doughty has had me audibly laughing for a good 30 seconds. Well done.

Locke
09-30-2015, 11:13 PM
Wow, when did the mainstream Hockey media turn into Twilight moms?

dammage79
09-30-2015, 11:20 PM
Seriously, there is absolutely no reason not to put Eichel right ext to McDaivid in a projection ranking like this. They're one and the same in my book. In fact I'll put Eichel slightly ahead of McDavid.

flylock shox
09-30-2015, 11:25 PM
Yeah, in limited viewings I've liked the look of Eichel more than McDavid so far.

So far, so good.

topfiverecords
09-30-2015, 11:46 PM
At least the Toronto media controlled themselves enough to keep an undeserving Leaf like Kadri off the list.

I'd put Datsyuk in the top 4.

dino7c
09-30-2015, 11:48 PM
Seriously, there is absolutely no reason not to put Eichel right ext to McDaivid in a projection ranking like this. They're one and the same in my book. In fact I'll put Eichel slightly ahead of McDavid.

canadian on canadian team vs. american on american team

that is their reason

I honestly think McDavid has been oversold in this age of social media and competition for ratings ect.

Looks like he could be a great player but the best player in a decade? how can they keep calling him that...we don't even know if he will be the best rookie THIS season

Flames Fan, Ph.D.
10-01-2015, 01:17 AM
I'm an admitted fanboy, but Marion Hossa is way too low on that list. On any given night he can easily embarrass half the players listed above him. Ditto Datsyuk, as another poster already pointed out.

Seems the list generally discount brains and overall performance in lieu of speed and being young.

getbak
10-01-2015, 02:07 AM
I guarantee Edmonton won't want McDavid matched up against those 3, and if they do he's going to be hemmed in his own zone the entire time
If Hall is mentoring him, we can be sure McDavid won't be stuck in the Oilers' zone very often.

They'll both be camped out in the neutral zone while the other team plays keep-away in the Oilers' zone. First overall picks aren't getting paid to play defence.

The Hendog
10-01-2015, 06:07 AM
Over PK Subaan and Karlsson? That seems like Flames bias. I'm a huge Gio fan but I'd take both those guys over Gio. Karlsson is somewhat debatable but PK is a great defenceman and he's still young.

The rankings are just for the up coming season not the rest of their careers so age I don't think is really a factor. Karlsson is the leagues best offensive defencemen no doubt but Gio's D is far better so I would side with Gio's overall game over Karlsson. PK is awesome again but his discipline lets him down sometimes and he makes stupid decisions and takes stupid penalties which makes it hard to trust him at times. PK probable physically brings the better game to the ice over Gio but Discipline wise Gio is stronger and that just makes me trust him more hence why I feel he is better.

btimbit
10-01-2015, 06:57 AM
At least the Toronto media controlled themselves enough to keep an undeserving Leaf like Kadri off the list.

I'd put Datsyuk in the top 4.

If they did another 50 I'm sure Marner and Nylander would be listed

Oil Stain
10-01-2015, 07:44 AM
canadian on canadian team vs. american on american team

that is their reason

I honestly think McDavid has been oversold in this age of social media and competition for ratings ect.

Looks like he could be a great player but the best player in a decade? how can they keep calling him that...we don't even know if he will be the best rookie THIS season

Maybe Eichel had just been under sold.

McDavid has the hands and vision of Johnny G but he's 6'1 and one of the top skaters in the NHL.

It's obvious that he's going to be a top talent.

Being Canadian might help. Canadian team doesn't. Everyone was crazy about him before the lottery.

heep223
10-01-2015, 07:52 AM
Maybe Eichel had just been under sold.

McDavid has the hands and vision of Johnny G but he's 6'1 and one of the top skaters in the NHL.

It's obvious that he's going to be a top talent.

Being Canadian might help. Canadian team doesn't. Everyone was crazy about him before the lottery.

How could you say he's one of the top skaters in the NHL when he's never played in the NHL?

FlamingHomer
10-01-2015, 07:56 AM
Seguin at 15. Hall at 43. Doh!

saillias
10-01-2015, 08:00 AM
TSN continues the undeserved love affair with the Sharks for whatever reason. Burns is a strange one, off the radar for most of his career, suddenly we start learning he's a crazy character and he starts appearing on these hot or not lists, funny.

Oil Stain
10-01-2015, 08:01 AM
How could you say he's one of the top skaters in the NHL when he's never played in the NHL?

When he is in the NHL In a week he will be.

Poe969
10-01-2015, 08:24 AM
so you agree that he isn't right now?

Burke Salad
10-01-2015, 08:35 AM

I think they are referring to his skating stride, which is explosive. I would have had Toews at the top over the last 4 years, too much love for Sidney.

LChoy
10-01-2015, 08:37 AM
To be fair, both Button and the other TSN analyst both commented that McDavid was on too high. He may be on the list next year, but it's not appropriate to rank the kid before he has even played 1 regular season game.

Personal opinion, but Toews > Crosby

Oil Stain
10-01-2015, 08:40 AM
so you agree that he isn't right now?

Preseason counts. :D

codynw
10-01-2015, 08:49 AM
Personal opinion, but Toews > Crosby

I'm a huge Toews fan, but it blows my mind that people actually believe this.

Radically Red
10-01-2015, 09:17 AM
When he is in the NHL In a week he will be.

Then he should be on the list next year after showing what he can do.

Let him prove it first is all I would want.

Locke
10-01-2015, 09:40 AM
I'm a huge Toews fan, but it blows my mind that people actually believe this.

Really?

Crosby puts up more points, I'll grant you that, but I feel that Toews brings more to the table in terms of clutch play, leadership and various other positive attributes.

I suppose it depends on your metrics in order to determine 'better player,' but if someone asked who I'd want on the Flames tomorrow my answer would be Toews.

codynw
10-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Really?

Crosby puts up more points, I'll grant you that, but I feel that Toews brings more to the table in terms of clutch play, leadership and various other positive attributes.

I suppose it depends on your metrics in order to determine 'better player,' but if someone asked who I'd want on the Flames tomorrow my answer would be Toews.

For one thing, if you want a player that brings "more to the table", Kopitar, and maybe even Bergeron (especially if you count cap hits) are better options than Toews.

And for another, Crosby isn't just a floater that puts up a bunch of points. I don't know where that reputation came from, but he's very competent defensively, while being WAY ahead of the competition offensively. At least he usually is, last year was an off year.

This really shouldn't even be a discussion.

Weitz
10-01-2015, 09:47 AM
As much as I love McDavid, I agree you really have no business being on a list until you play some games.

Mind you, I think they included him to up views and increase discussion.

Poe969
10-01-2015, 09:49 AM
If preseason counts, where did Eichle land? He's clearly shown more than McDavid so far.

Locke
10-01-2015, 09:53 AM
For one thing, if you want a player that brings "more to the table", Kopitar, and maybe even Bergeron (especially if you count cap hits) are better options than Toews.

And for another, Crosby isn't just a floater that puts up a bunch of points. I don't know where that reputation came from, but he's very competent defensively, while being WAY ahead of the competition offensively. At least he usually is, last year was an off year.

This really shouldn't even be a discussion.

I agree with you that Crosby isnt just some floater who puts up points, but everything he does Toews does just as well, but in the much tougher Western Conference, with the exception of tons of points, but Toews has an absolutely relentless will to win and he most often does.

Its just personal preference I guess, and I'm not saying that Crosby is hot garbage or anything, I'd just prefer Toews.

Besides if you're picking between the two you cant really go wrong either way.

ricardodw
10-01-2015, 10:39 AM
16 of the 50 players will be well rested as they did not make the playoffs.

In the west the non-playoff teams:

LA Doughty, Kopitar, Quick
Dallas Benn, Sequin
Colorado Duchene
SJ Pavelski, Burns, Couture
Edm Hall, McDavid
Ari Ekman-Larsson

No weighting given to making team successful?

Bergeron over playoff team members Ladd and Wheeler

Hall with 1 GWG over the last 2 years over Hudler (6)-Monahan(8)-Gaudreau(4) just counting last years GWGs ??

dino7c
10-01-2015, 11:18 AM
As much as I love McDavid, I agree you really have no business being on a list until you play some games.

Mind you, I think they included him to up views and increase discussion.

exactly the point I was trying to make...he is one there only because of hype, click bait, viewers ect.

If he is a point per game player this year than fine put him up there next season...otherwise the generational thing is a load of BS. He may not even be the best rookie this year let alone in the last decade plus

TX_Flame
10-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Preseason counts. :D
Really? So how many points in the standings do you get for a preseason win? You'd better watch it. All those preseason wins may be endangering your chances of drafting Auston Matthews next spring! [emoji12]

TX_Flame
10-01-2015, 11:41 AM
exactly the point I was trying to make...he is one there only because of hype, click bait, viewers ect.

If he is a point per game player this year than fine put him up there next season...otherwise the generational thing is a load of BS. He may not even be the best rookie this year let alone in the last decade plus
Nah, next year it will be Auston Matthews at number 31.

Hackey
10-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Then he should be on the list next year after showing what he can do.

Let him prove it first is all I would want.

Why? Either they are right or wrong and either way it means nothin. Every person who reads the list is probably looking to see if McDavid is there and where he is.

renny
10-02-2015, 01:14 AM
I wonder if such a list existed in Crosby's rookie year, and where did he slot before playing a single game.

Oil Stain
10-02-2015, 07:39 AM
I wonder if such a list existed in Crosby's rookie year, and where did he slot before playing a single game.

Crosby was 26th in the Hockey News top 50 05/06 preview.

http://hockeytraderumors.com/the-hockey-news-top-50-players-complete-stupidy-2005-2006/

Vedder
10-02-2015, 07:56 AM
TSN really milking the McDavid thing for all it's worth, so his presence and standing on the list is no surprise.

The "Camp McDavid" feature is cringe worthy.

Oling_Roachinen
10-02-2015, 08:31 AM
16 of the 50 players will be well rested as they did not make the playoffs.

Bergeron over playoff team members Ladd and Wheeler

He's clearly superior to those players though. There's probably should be some weight given to team success, but it is an individual ranking list. And if we're giving bonuses to players with team success, the first line center with a Stanley Cup ring gets the bonus.

undercoverbrother
10-02-2015, 09:49 AM
Crosby was 26th in the Hockey News top 50 05/06 preview.

http://hockeytraderumors.com/the-hockey-news-top-50-players-complete-stupidy-2005-2006/

2 wrongs....

Oil Stain
10-02-2015, 12:58 PM
2 wrongs....

Except they weren't wrong about Crosby. He finished 6th in scoring....