PDA

View Full Version : [News] Flames recall Morrison and Sieloff

sureLoss
09-30-2015, 10:54 AM
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=781104

The Calgary Flames announced today that they have recalled defencemen Kenney Morrison and Patrick Sieloff from their American Hockey League affiliate, the Stockton Heat. The 23-year-old Morrison has played in two pre-season games with Calgary where he has an assist and two PIMs, while 21-year-old Sieloff skated in one pre-season tilt where he was a plus-one with two PIMs.

Murph
09-30-2015, 10:56 AM
:blink:

I don't understand. Send them to Stockton and then recall them immediately???

Finger Cookin
09-30-2015, 10:57 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MoreDrank
09-30-2015, 10:58 AM
Treliving using reverse-psychology on this training camp roster.

sureLoss
Randy Sportak @SUNRandySportak
Sieloff is on the ice for #Flames practice. Odd because I see all the vets, too, as well as Wotherspoon, Kulak, Nakladal, as well as Wilson

CMPunk
The hell?

keenan87
09-30-2015, 10:59 AM
Maybe a trade is coming?

Poe969
09-30-2015, 10:59 AM
Trade in the works?

sureLoss
09-30-2015, 11:00 AM
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
The recalls today just insurance for the final two preseason games. No new injuries. #Flames

Bandwagon In Flames
Very interesting stuff. There couldn't be a trade in the works. Right??????

Maybe Wilson and Nakladal haven't shown enough to stick with the big club in managements eyes.

saillias
Trolliving?

Otto-matic
Treliving and Co have a deal coming up?

sureLoss
09-30-2015, 11:01 AM
Randy Sportak @SUNRandySportak
Callups are for insurance. With Brodie already hurt, #Flames may rest Giordano, Hamilton, Russell and WIdeman in last two pre-season tilts

Aaron Vickers @AAVickers
Craig Conroy just called the recalls 'insurance', hence Sieloff and Morrison rejoining the group. #Flames

Poe969
09-30-2015, 11:11 AM
It's totally BT and co. rubbing it in the oilers faces that we have so many options on D right now. Take that stupid oilers.

Lanny'sDaMan
09-30-2015, 11:13 AM
Good! Sieloff shouldn't have been sent down in the first place IMNSHO

Vinny01
09-30-2015, 11:18 AM
I think the top 4 have looked solid enough that it would be okay to rest them up and give the kids another shot. Wotherspoon, Nakladal, Wilson, Morrison, Sieloff all battling for the 6/7 spot

Locke
09-30-2015, 11:19 AM
I think the top 4 have looked solid enough that it would be okay to rest them up and give the kids another shot. Wotherspoon, Nakladal, Wilson, Morrison, Sieloff all battling for the 6/7 spot

Yeah, makes sense. Let the kids duke it out in the last 2 preseason games.

devo22
09-30-2015, 12:06 PM
Kulak too.

Huntingwhale
09-30-2015, 12:08 PM
Wizards work in mysterious ways

flamesfan55
09-30-2015, 12:34 PM
Insurance or not still doesn't make sense why you would remove then from Stockton's training camp especially with the amount of Dmen that are still in camp?

Cali Panthers Fan
09-30-2015, 12:37 PM
It's not a bad plan when you think about it. You rest your top 4 d-men who will be heavily relied upon once the regular season begins. You get to watch the guys you think are already worthy of a regular season recall play against what would be close to a regular starting lineup for the opposition. Now, when you need someone from the farm you know how they stack up against an NHL regular lineup, not a bunch of 'tweeners and junior prospects with a handful of coasting veterans sprinkled in the lineup.

These last 2 games will be tune up games for everyone, and the veterans will likely be playing near 100% effort (or should be anyway). That's a better test for some of these guys since we already know how they fare against AHL players and pre-season lineups. My hope is that 1 or 2 of them look really impressive (my money is on Kulak) and they make management second guess the signing of someone like Ryan Wilson (not that I have anything against him). Some of these d-men need to start forcing their way into the lineup.

BruceCody
09-30-2015, 01:12 PM
D pairings at Winnipeg october, 1

Wotherspoon - Wilson
Kulak - Nakladal
Sieloff - Morrison

Ortio

Jay Random
09-30-2015, 01:15 PM
Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to juggle rosters.

Fighting Banana Slug
09-30-2015, 01:21 PM

Wotherspoon - Wilson
Kulak - Nakladal
Sieloff - Morrison

Ortio

This will be a great way to see who is deserving of those last few spots. (And also a great reason why one shouldn't worry about the W/L record in the preseason).

Huntsy
09-30-2015, 01:22 PM
Insurance?? Since when do you need insurance for pre-season games. Either leave them or ship them. What does it do to a player's confidence? Think the trade deal soon. Maybe a Wideman or Smid or both. Maybe marks the release of Wilson from PTO. Wait and see I guess..

dino7c
09-30-2015, 01:26 PM
just start the season already...

Point Blank
09-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Insurance?? Since when do you need insurance for pre-season games. Either leave them or ship them. What does it do to a player's confidence? Think the trade deal soon. Maybe a Wideman or Smid or both. Maybe marks the release of Wilson from PTO. Wait and see I guess..

I don't think it does anything to a player's confidence

cannon7
09-30-2015, 01:38 PM
If they're insurance, then it's insurance in case a trade goes down. Gotta think some guys are being shopped. Engelland and Smid come to mind. Hope Wideman isn't moved, unless the return is insane.

GranteedEV
09-30-2015, 01:39 PM

Wotherspoon - Wilson
Kulak - Nakladal
Sieloff - Morrison

Ortio

Stockton Heat VS Winnipeg Jets

Round 2

GioforPM
09-30-2015, 01:47 PM

You play them to ensure Gio/Hamilton/Russell/Wideman don't get injured in a meaningless preseason game. Gio and Russell have already blocked shots.

Fire
09-30-2015, 01:48 PM

If they want to rest their top-4 for the last two games they need to call guys up. Simple as that. Nothing more. Wideman or Smid will not be traded.

Red Menace
09-30-2015, 01:49 PM
This all adds up to a tougher game for Ortio in Winnipeg...facing a full Jets lineup with potentially all rookie D in front of him.

Flamesforver11
09-30-2015, 01:58 PM
Nice, i like Morrison

Camronius
09-30-2015, 02:50 PM
Didn't see anyone mention trading any of these guys.... one scenario when you have too many bodies at a position is to flip them for other assets you need, could be picks, maybe RW depth or maybe they could be used as chips when moving out another contract (hiller, raymond, etc). We have a glut of forwards and dman, we also have an extra goalie. A few mentions of trading vet d-man in smid or engelland, but it's also quite possible we move some of these prospects and this is actually a show case to do so.

To me it feels like they haven't made up their mind on D, this gives the prospects all another opportunity to take the available spot and drive the competition. Whoever showcases best in Winnipeg will be in Calgary on opening day.

Vinny01
09-30-2015, 03:17 PM

Wotherspoon - Wilson
Kulak - Nakladal
Sieloff - Morrison

Ortio

If Ortio has another huge game he might be the starter on day 1

dino7c
09-30-2015, 03:29 PM
If Ortio has another huge game he might be the starter on day 1

I highly doubt it, my guess is Ramo gets the start

no point in risking another top d-men...season starts in a week lets just get the pre season over with

The Fonz
09-30-2015, 06:07 PM
I understand not wanting to risk anyone from our top 4. What I don't understand though, is why they were sent down 2 days ago only to be recalled again, as if this situation couldn't have been foreseen.

I don't want to be one of those "must be a trade coming" people.... But this does tingle the old trade balls.

Frank MetaMusil
09-30-2015, 06:16 PM
I understand not wanting to risk anyone from our top 4. What I don't understand though, is why they were sent down 2 days ago only to be recalled again, as if this situation couldn't have been foreseen.

I don't want to be one of those "must be a trade coming" people.... But this does tingle the old trade balls.
It's to see if they have another gear. The players will look at it as their last chance to cement themselves into a roster spot. Hope is one of the strongest motivators.

hockey.modern
09-30-2015, 06:26 PM

Was wondering the same thing.

Caged Great
09-30-2015, 06:46 PM
Too many bodies all over the place, trades will need to happen regardless.

Fire
09-30-2015, 06:57 PM

Maybe Treliving and coaches watched the last game and decided the top-4 are ready to go, no point on playing any more meaningless games. If they still looked rusty then you probably don't see these guys called up.

hockey.modern
09-30-2015, 07:30 PM
It all adds up, the recall of the two defencemen, and last night when they were giving away all the Wideman jerseys away for free at the dome.

Funkhouser
09-30-2015, 07:33 PM

Ahhhh, so thats why they're tingling

Cleveland Steam Whistle
09-30-2015, 08:24 PM

So you're saying this one dingles your berries.

Conroy4Mayor
09-30-2015, 09:49 PM
My thought is that another team is interested in obtaining a prospect in order to compensate for taking an overpaid goalie off our hands. They want to see them in more games before deciding which young defenceman they want. Either Morrison or Seiloff will be traded with a goalie after Saturday's game. Flames can afford to lose one of them due to organizational depth. They need to make room for Hickey next year. That's my theory anyway.

McG
09-30-2015, 09:57 PM
i wonder if this is a viewed as a chance to have the call ups get games against almost nhl opposition to see how they do? Even when playing the oilies, it was playing against ahl forwards.

Tbull8
09-30-2015, 10:00 PM
My thought is that another team is interested in obtaining a prospect in order to compensate for taking an overpaid goalie off our hands. They want to see them in more games before deciding which young defenceman they want. Either Morrison or Seiloff will be traded with a goalie after Saturday's game. Flames can afford to lose one of them due to organizational depth. They need to make room for Hickey next year. That's my theory anyway.

Or they want wideman (or engelland) so the flames want to make sure they have a guy ready to step in and fight for a spot

Conroy4Mayor
09-30-2015, 10:12 PM
Or they want wideman (or engelland) so the flames want to make sure they have a guy ready to step in and fight for a spot

There are a few reasons why Wideman and Engelland are less likely to be traded:

1. They are expensive, and most teams are already at their budget or cap.
2. They have one-way contracts and most teams already have a full roster.
3. Occasionally GM's and pro scouts fall in love with a prospect's potential. It only takes 1 team out of 29 to believe Morrison could be the next Seabrook.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
09-30-2015, 10:48 PM
There are a few reasons why Wideman and Engelland are less likely to be traded:

1. They are expensive, and most teams are already at their budget or cap.
2. They have one-way contracts and most teams already have a full roster.
3. Occasionally GM's and pro scouts fall in love with a prospect's potential. It only takes 1 team out of 29 to believe Morrison could be the next Seabrook.
4. Both are better than all but 4 defencemen actually in the Flames organization and the Flames don't seem to be in the tanking for draft picks mode.

Jay Random
10-01-2015, 12:27 AM

Was wondering the same thing.

Ahhhh, so thats why they're tingling

Crikey, you guys trade balls? Mine are still original equipment.

Conroy4Mayor
10-01-2015, 07:00 AM
4. Both are better than all but 4 defencemen actually in the Flames organization and the Flames don't seem to be in the tanking for draft picks mode.

Have to respectfully disagree about Engelland. I think Wilson is better.

Huntsy
10-01-2015, 07:05 AM
If they want to rest their top-4 for the last two games they need to call guys up. Simple as that. Nothing more. Wideman or Smid will not be traded.

Rest them from what? They haven't played hardly at all. The final two or three should be thrown out there together as a pair and then make a decision. To still carry 5 or 6 guys that are #7 at best doesn't make sense at this stage..

Split98
10-01-2015, 07:29 AM
http://spencerford.com/hosting/animated-gif/Treliving-Wizard.gif

...? :blink:

Alberta_Beef
10-01-2015, 07:31 AM
I think it is as simple as they wanted Sieloff and Morrison in Stockton when their camp started.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
10-01-2015, 02:23 PM
Have to respectfully disagree about Engelland. I think Wilson is better.
Yes, I'm sure Wilson who required to come to training camp on a PTO is better than a player who proved just last season they could step and play top 4 minutes on a 2nd round playoff team. I'm sure that's why he needed to be signed to a PTO.

I'll be doing cartwheels if Wilson ends up being better than Engelland, that would be great, and maybe he just needs time to pull his game together after some substantial injuries. But to date, Wilson hasn't shown anyone close to anything that should lead us to believe that he will out play Engelland at this point.

Fighting Banana Slug
10-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Engelland vs Wilson is far closer than you are suggesting. I think they will likely keep both.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
10-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Engelland vs Wilson is far closer than you are suggesting. I think they will likely keep both.
Based on what? Career's to date, this years preseason games, something else?

northcrunk
10-01-2015, 03:04 PM
I'm liking Seiloffs game. Not the tallest guy but is a Mac Truck out there. So solid.

Fighting Banana Slug
10-01-2015, 03:09 PM
Based on what? Career's to date, this years preseason games, something else?

Preseason to date. In my opinion, Wilson has looked very solid out there, in particular playing on the road in Denver and Vancouver behind AHL bound forwards. Winnipeg will be a big test, but I think he earned the spot. Engelland will stay because he has a contract, knows his role and Hartley likes him. I am not sure what he does so well that Wilson can't (outside of beating on Nucks). Nakladal and Kulak each made a case as well, but once Brodie is back, I think both are in the AHL for seasoning and would be the early call-up. Still not sure what to make of 'Spoon.

Edit: You got me thinking about career numbers (which I really didn't factor in).

Engelland: 33 years old, 319 games, 58 points, 361 penalty minutes
Wilson: 28 years old, 230 games, 67 points, 157 penalty minutes

sureLoss
10-01-2015, 03:10 PM
One thing about Wilson is that because he missed so much time due to injury he qualifies for performance based bonuses.

Can give him a low base salary then give him a bonus for every 10 games played for example.

Crumpy-Gunt
10-01-2015, 03:16 PM
I think Ryan Wilson can be a solid player for us. Glad we offered him a pto

D as in David
10-01-2015, 04:00 PM
It's possible that signing Wilson could be dependant on whether they feel Nakladal is ready for the NHL right away. If they feel he needs some time down on the farm, I could see Wilson being signed.

Conroy4Mayor
10-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Edit: You got me thinking about career numbers (which I really didn't factor in).

Engelland: 33 years old, 319 games, 58 points, 361 penalty minutes
Wilson: 28 years old, 230 games, 67 points, 157 penalty minutes

You missed...

Engelland: -14
Wilson: +18

bettman
10-01-2015, 05:01 PM
With 49 contracts, I think Flames will keep Wotherspoon and Kulak as 6-7. Let Nakladal get used to North America in Stockton. Wilson may be offered AHL deal. When Smid is back they will have another contract to deal with.

Fighting Banana Slug
10-01-2015, 05:11 PM
With 49 contracts, I think Flames will keep Wotherspoon and Kulak as 6-7. Let Nakladal get used to North America in Stockton. Wilson may be offered AHL deal. When Smid is back they will have another contract to deal with.

If 49 is accurate, that would probably be the determining factor on Wilson, but I thought we were around 46.

I liked Nakladal in the first preseason game, hopefully he is healthy and can show his stuff.

D as in David
10-01-2015, 05:23 PM
There are, I believe, four contracts that are currently sliding. The bread eater, Kylington, Andersson and I can't remember the other.

Edit: The goalie in the Hat?

Jay Random
10-01-2015, 05:23 PM
That's 49 including Andersson, Schneider, and McDonald, who have been returned to junior. Their contracts automatically slide, so only 46 count against the limit.

Kylington could theoretically be recalled from Stockton.

There's room for Wilson in terms of numbers of contracts. Not sure if there's room in terms of bodies on the rosters (Calgary and Stockton).

Flames Draft Watcher
10-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Anyone who thinks Wilson is better than Engelland needs to pass the pipe. Wilson looks like he's skating in mud out there. I'd be shocked if we signed him. Engelland is clearly better and both Nakladal and Kulak have impressed me more. Oh and I'd take Wotherspoon over Wilson as well.

Conroy4Mayor
10-01-2015, 10:51 PM
If Engelland plays like that the rest of the season, we should be in good shape for a lottery pick. Surely there's someone better knocking on the door.

Jay Random
10-01-2015, 11:13 PM
If Engelland plays like that the rest of the season, we should be in good shape for a lottery pick. Surely there's someone better knocking on the door.

Riiiiiight. Because no matter how good your goalies, forwards, or top 5 defencemen are, whether you make or miss the playoffs is determined by your #6 defenceman.

Caged Great
10-01-2015, 11:55 PM
Engelland is likely going to be an 8-10 minute a night guy with Brodie playing shifts with each of Hamilton and Giordano throughout the game.

Textcritic
10-02-2015, 12:20 AM
This post is really, really terrible.

It is incomprehensible how you managed to watch Engelland in tonight's game, and arrived at this conclusion. He was among the Flames best defensemen tonight with Kulak and Nakladal.

Alberta_Beef
10-02-2015, 07:30 AM
This post is really, really terrible.

It is incomprehensible how you managed to watch Engelland in tonight's game, and arrived at this conclusion. He was among the Flames best defensemen tonight with Kulak and Nakladal.From reading his posts the past couple days it's pretty clear he is unable to look at Engelland's contributions objectively.

DoubleF
10-02-2015, 11:32 AM
Anyone who thinks Wilson is better than Engelland needs to pass the pipe. Wilson looks like he's skating in mud out there. I'd be shocked if we signed him. Engelland is clearly better and both Nakladal and Kulak have impressed me more. Oh and I'd take Wotherspoon over Wilson as well.

I don't think Wilson played poorly, but there are a few equivalents on our farm already as you've already noted. Hopefully he uses his time here to successfully grab a job elsewhere. I don't think he's that much better or worse, but just no room for him.

The Yen Man
10-02-2015, 11:38 AM

That someone is definitely not Wilson, I'll tell you that much. Seems like your hate for Engelland clouds your judgement on player ability.