PDA

View Full Version : QOTD: Where do you like Ferland in the lineup?

Bingo
09-30-2015, 07:14 AM
He's played the right side with Monahan and Gaudreau, the left side with Bennett and Frolik, and the right side with Stajan. Backlund is healthy again so that's an option too.

Where do you like Ferland in this lineup?

Poe969
09-30-2015, 07:17 AM
I think Bennett and Ferland are going to have great chemistry moving forward.

Imported_Aussie
09-30-2015, 07:18 AM
I like him with Stajan. He is an impact player, so play him on a lower line with responsible players and let him off the chain. He has yet to show he has the touch to play with Gaudreau and Monahan, would sooner put Hudler, Colborne or Granlund with that duo

kyuss275
09-30-2015, 07:22 AM
To start the season i went with Stajan line. He is still young and new to the NHL. Hopefully by X-mas he has moved up.

SuperMatt18
09-30-2015, 07:25 AM
I think I like him with Bennett.

Personally have Johnny-Monahan and Ferland-Bennett as pairs. Then Hudler and Frolik can rotate on the lines as the RWs.

Chingas
09-30-2015, 07:27 AM
Third line duty imo. Is that the Backlund option?

Hockeyguy15
09-30-2015, 07:29 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a line with him, Stajan and Bouma.

However, trying to come up with lines I think it's clear we have too many bodies.

bubbsy
09-30-2015, 07:33 AM
i went top line, because i would like to see hudler playing with Bennet. providing the team 2 solid scoring line options.

Toonage
09-30-2015, 07:34 AM
Loved his game against Vancouver in the playoffs when he was with Stajan & Jones. I'd like to see him start him there and then gradually move up.

FlamesAddiction
09-30-2015, 07:34 AM
Bottom 2 lines, but he will bounce around a little.

playmaker
09-30-2015, 07:38 AM
here ...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxyOT-ICUAAJHYd.jpg

Street Pharmacist
09-30-2015, 07:49 AM
All the smart little plays to get Johnny and Monahan the puck made me appreciate his offensive game. Give him a little more time with them to develop chemistry and I think we're onto something great. Also let's Hudler and Bennett become a pair

Super-Rye
09-30-2015, 07:55 AM
I would like to see him start the season on the top line for two reasons.

Firstly, I think he has looked pretty good there during pre-season. He has the speed and the hands to play with Monahan and Gaudreau and the size to create space for them.

While he may start on the top line, it will be interesting to see if he can be an consistent offensive threat against other teams top players. Can he keep that spot over the course of the season? If he can't, you can always move Hudler back up.

The other reason I want to see Ferland play on the top line is so that Bennett can play with Hudler and Frolik. I think that would be a really good line for Bennett's development, and would spread out the scoring threats out so other teams can't just focus on shutting down the top line.

kermitology
09-30-2015, 08:28 AM
I said top line, but I think a rotation is in order. Swap him and Hudler between the top two lines based on who is going and who needs going. Ferland seems to make his line mates get moving, and Hudler is just awesome. He can score with either line.

Da_Chief
09-30-2015, 08:30 AM
I'm guessing VanSmack and NewUser are Edm/Van fans?

codynw
09-30-2015, 08:30 AM
Top line, until he proves he doesn't fit in. He's looked pretty good there in limited pre season action.

Cali Panthers Fan
09-30-2015, 08:34 AM
Make no mistake, I think Ferland will be a 2nd line power winger soon, but to begin his full-time NHL career I like him with the steadying influence and passing skills of Stajan. Ferland's biggest problem in his pro career has been consistency. He can be a dominant player, but some nights (like last night) he can fight the puck a lot and look a little disorganized. Until he displays some consistency I think he is a fantastic fit on the LW with Stajan and Jones on a 3rd line. This is until Bennett is ready for full time center duties, and at that point he could stay on that 3rd line on his wing with someone like Jones or Colborne on the right side.

These are the way I think the lines will be to start the year, but I imagine it will change over the course of the season.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Stajan-Jones
Bouma-Colborne-Jooris
Extra: Bollig, Granlund

Huntingwhale
09-30-2015, 08:48 AM
I actually really like him with Jones last year. Both are big bodies and when they were on their game, they could out muscle whatever line they were paired against. However with Jones seemingly pencilled in on the bottom 6, I don't know how often we'll see that.

Ferland to me will alternate between 2 and 3rd line duty, with a spot on the top unit if things get rough for Johnny. I'd like to see him be a mainstay on the top line just to give it some beef. But breaking up that chemistry with Hudler - Monahan - Gaudreau seems sacrilegious.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Stajan-Jones
Bouma-Colborne-Jooris
Extra: Bollig, Granlund

Ultimately this what I would like to see. With the bottom 6 interchanging as needed. I love how that top 6 looks.

Erick Estrada
09-30-2015, 08:52 AM
First or second line? Really? Can someone remind me what this guy has done outside of making an over the hill Bieksa look bad?

Krovikan
09-30-2015, 08:53 AM
I've thought he has been best with Bennett and Frolik this preseason; think that line really works well together. With Monahan and Gaudreau, he seemed to be a step behind the play with those two. I think a 2/3 line like bellow could really work well throughout the season.

Ferland-Bennett-Frolik

FlamesAddiction
09-30-2015, 08:58 AM
First or second line? Really? Can someone remind me what this guy has done outside of making an over the hill Bieksa look bad?

I agree, I think expectations are way too high for him this early in his career. He came in the game late last season and was relatively fresh, but he was slowing down by the 2nd round.

He has 2 goals and only 26 regular season games, and some people want him on the top line. That seems crazy to me. Was he even on the top line in the AHL?

Southside
09-30-2015, 08:58 AM
I put him on 2nd unit with Bennett and Frolik, but it would be interesting to see if he can mesh with Monahan and Gaudreau. If he was on top line, we would benefit from a more balanced top 6.

Crumpy-Gunt
09-30-2015, 09:02 AM
I think I like him with Bennett.

Personally have Johnny-Monahan and Ferland-Bennett as pairs. Then Hudler and Frolik can rotate on the lines as the RWs.

Sounds good to me

Poe969
09-30-2015, 09:02 AM
It's so tough to say for sure, there are so many players that look good together. This team is very versatile and that's amazing. Guys like Ferland, Frolik, Backlund, Colborne and even Jones don't look like they'd be out of place anywhere in the lineup. There are so many line combinations that just look good together that it's hard to pick one.

Bourque's Twin
09-30-2015, 09:07 AM
Ferland has been good on every line he's played on, because he's a good all-around player.

I think he adds a lot to the top 6.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Ferland - Bennett - Frolik

I think besides Gaudreau, Monahan, and Bennett the rest are interchangeable.

YYC in LAX
09-30-2015, 09:14 AM
Don't really care - just want to see him matched up against McDavid for home games.

Finger Cookin
09-30-2015, 09:15 AM
No strong preference. I just like Ferland in the lineup. He adds lots of flexibility to the possible line combinations.

Calgary4LIfe
09-30-2015, 09:17 AM
Can my answer be "All the lines"?

What I mean is, I would like to continue seeing him get into different lines and and seeing how he does. He does seem to find a way to develop chemistry with a lot of players - maybe it is because he has a really nice heavy shot and does well along the boards. He does have a pretty high IQ that is allowing him to 'figure out' how to be effective with different players. Granlund, Jooris, Stajan, Jones and now I think we were seeing that chemistry start to develop a little bit with Monahan and Gaudreau (though still early).

I personally want Hartley to stick him throughout the lineup and see how he does. No one can definitively state what this kid's ceiling is or what line he should or shouldn't be playing on I think. I don't think Ferland even knows at the moment. What I do think is that he does a fairly good job of making himself a fit on different lines, and let's see if his scoring increases as he gets more opportunities (I think it will).

He is definitely a joy to watch out there.

shutout
09-30-2015, 09:21 AM
I like the idea of third line with Bennett. I don't see Bennett being the #2 centerman on the team.

Bouma - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Bennett - Jones/Colborne/Jooris

Bandwagon In Flames
09-30-2015, 09:32 AM

He produced very well in the AHL and has done nothing but impress in training camp. The guy has scored some decent goals and made some beautiful passes while still maintaining his physical dominance. Hartley has played him on the top 2 lines for games and he hasn't looked out of place.

Personally I think he would be dynamite on a 2nd line with Bennett and Frolik. Both Bennett and Ferland can play the crash and bang fore check game while Frolik brings a steady defensive presence on the ice and helps keep puck possession in the offensive zone (something Bennett will need in his first year playing centre).

Jackpot_Smooth
09-30-2015, 09:59 AM
I like how he's looked on the first line with monahan and gaudreau however keeping hudler with them for proven offence is also a plus. I see a fit for him as well with bennett and frolik as well because he also adds a bit of a deterrent for players going after bennett since bennett has a bit of an edge to his game.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
09-30-2015, 10:15 AM
It's an interesting question. Where do I like him? Anywhere in the top 6 would obviously be the best for this club. If Ferland could be a legit top 6 forward for this team playing the game he play's, that's just simply the best outcome for the Flames, but that kind of goes without saying.

I've thought Top 6 has always potentially been Ferland's ceiling, but not where my expectations were for him going into this year. To be honest, the game I saw on the weekend vs. Vancouver, I thought he looked great up there. Last night vs. Colorado, he looked out of place.

So time will tell I guess. I'm not married to any line combo's, although I agree that Mony / Gaudreau just seems to work well, and I believe that Hudler can fit in anywhere in the top 2 lines and be lights out. So I'm simply cheering for, but not expecting Ferland to be on either of the Top 2 lines, couldn't care less where it is. I'm thinking it's more likely he bounces between the 3rd and 4th line as the season goes on this year.

northcrunk
09-30-2015, 10:28 AM
I like the size he brings to the top line. Nobody will mess with Johnny while Ferkland is on the ice.

jg13
09-30-2015, 10:29 AM
I have him on Stajans line to start the season but I think he could easily end up playing top 6 minutes before the end of the year.

Much like Justin Trudeau, just not ready

ricardodw
09-30-2015, 10:34 AM
It's so tough to say for sure, there are so many players that look good together. This team is very versatile and that's amazing. Guys like Ferland, Frolik, Backlund, Colborne and even Jones don't look like they'd be out of place anywhere in the lineup. There are so many line combinations that just look good together that it's hard to pick one.

there are some pretty obvious things:

1) Gaudreau-Hudler-Monahan is currently one of the top lines in Hockey. They were basically un-stoppable over the last part of last year. They will not be broken up any more than the Sedins of 3-4 years ago were going to be broken up.... until some coach figures out how to play against them.

2) The Burke theory of beef. The Flames now have 4 beef guys that can easily play top 9 minutes 12-16 minutes a game. Ferland, Bouma, Jones and Colborne. All things being equal I would expect them to be in the line-up for every game they are healthy and getting minutes.

3) That leaves 2 spots in the top 9 that default right now to Backlund and Frolik.

4) Bennett, Stajan, Byron, Jooris, Bollig,Raymond start out as the 4th line and get 10 minutes or less a game until injury or poor play push them into more ice time.

Not only line-up spots will have to be earned but so will ice-time over the game. If anyone is having a lackluster (lets call it a Glencross/Raymond/Stempniak kind of game) they should and likely will find themselves getting only 2-3 shifts in the 3rd period.

codynw
09-30-2015, 10:37 AM
I have him on Stajans line to start the season but I think he could easily end up playing top 6 minutes before the end of the year.

But how's his hair?

Cleveland Steam Whistle
09-30-2015, 10:40 AM

Nice hair though...........

Edit: Codnyw beat me to it.

gvitaly
09-30-2015, 10:51 AM
I have him on the Stajan line to start the season, but as Hartley loves to remind us his lineups are written in pencil. I feel that Ferland had a very good chemistry with Stajan last season. They were dominating the play and providing secondary scoring. However in games where the other team starts taking liberties with Monahan and Gaudreau Ferland seems like a good option on their wing.

foshizzle11
09-30-2015, 10:56 AM
I think he starts the season on Stajan and Jones' line, because they were successful last year together.

I think Hartley keeps our top line together, one of the best lines in the NHL last season. I think Backlund is our 2A centre and Bennett is our 2B centre, they will get pretty equal time I think to start the season.

I think in the future Ferland will be a top 6 player for the flames but he has to earn it first. I don't think he has done that yet.

I see the lines starting like this:

top line: JG - SM - JH
2nd: Bouma - Backlund - Frolik
3rd: Byron/Jooris - Bennett - Colborne
4th: Ferland - Stajan - Jones

This is just to start the season, if all pans out and Bennett earns 2nd line minutes, then he gets to play with Frolik or Hudler, maybe even on the wing on the top line. Who knows.

I think there are many options and I know that Hartley will make all the guys earn every minute they get. What I would like to see happen eventually to even out the roster, if everyone pans out:

JG - SM - Frolik
Ferland - SB - JH
Bouma - Backlund - Colborne
Byron - Stajan - Jones

ricardodw
09-30-2015, 11:16 AM
I think he starts the season on Stajan and Jones' line, because they were successful last year together.

I think Hartley keeps our top line together, one of the best lines in the NHL last season. I think Backlund is our 2A centre and Bennett is our 2B centre, they will get pretty equal time I think to start the season.

I think in the future Ferland will be a top 6 player for the flames but he has to earn it first. I don't think he has done that yet.

I see the lines starting like this:

top line: JG - SM - JH
2nd: Bouma - Backlund - Frolik
3rd: Byron/Jooris - Bennett - Colborne
4th: Ferland - Stajan - Jones

This is just to start the season, if all pans out and Bennett earns 2nd line minutes, then he gets to play with Frolik or Hudler, maybe even on the wing on the top line. Who knows.

I think there are many options and I know that Hartley will make all the guys earn every minute they get. What I would like to see happen eventually to even out the roster, if everyone pans out:

JG - SM - Frolik
Ferland - SB - JH
Bouma - Backlund - Colborne
Byron - Stajan - Jones

Frolik has never been on a #1 line in his 7 year NHL career. The Flames have been looking for #1 line since Iginla and Conroy/Langkow / Tanquay

Is Frolik going to replace Hudler without the line as a whole taking a hit?

I think that if Bennett plays centre his style of play will require 2 of the beef players on his wing. The level of physical intensity will increase a lot the way Bennett plays.

JG- SM - JH
Ferland-Bennett-Jones/Colborne
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik ---- real shutdown line

Bingo
09-30-2015, 11:22 AM
I agree, I think expectations are way too high for him this early in his career. He came in the game late last season and was relatively fresh, but he was slowing down by the 2nd round.

He has 2 goals and only 26 regular season games, and some people want him on the top line. That seems crazy to me. Was he even on the top line in the AHL?

When you put it that way, for sure I agree with you.

I guess I see this Hartley pairings thing and players that compliment those pairings.

So for me does he compliment the top two, the 2nd pair, the third pair or the bottom pair

GioforPM
09-30-2015, 11:24 AM
Ferland/Bennett/Colborne would be a pretty darn good forechecking line.

I want Frolik's two way game against opponents better offensive guys, which I think means playing with Backlund (since we mostly don't break up Monahan's line).

Kidder
09-30-2015, 01:22 PM
Hudler has one of the highest hockey IQs in the NHL.

There are some who are severely underestimating his contribution to the success of that top line. You're not going to swap in Ferland for Hudler and see Monahan pot 30 goals again. Or Gaudreau propel up in the NHL scoring race.

There's a reason Hudler has led the team in points in consecutive seasons.

kermitology
09-30-2015, 03:56 PM

He played with a torn oblique after game 3 or 4 didn't he?

neo45
09-30-2015, 04:26 PM
I would like to see the top line stay together and then roll 3 even lines of

Ferland - Backlund - Frolik
Jooris - Bennett - Colborne
Bouma - Stajan - Jones

dammage79
09-30-2015, 04:52 PM
Tough call. He looks to have some chemistry with Monahan and Gaudreau.

I love the idea of a 2nd line involving Hudler-Frolik-Bennett.

I feel like Ferland draws in on any line and will be placed accordingly to his performance on a game to game basis.

He also has chemistry with Granlund too.

Vulcan
09-30-2015, 04:55 PM
I don't think Ferland is ready for first line duty and his natural position is LW so here's my take.

Gaudreau and Monahan on the first line and I don't see any reason not to put Hudler there as well.

Bouma has earned his spot with Backlund on the second or shut down line. The question for me is do we strengthen it with Frolik or do we give Frolic to Bennett?

It looks like Stajan gets Jones on his RW and Hartley likes Bollig so Bollig gets 4th line LW.

That leaves Ferland with Bennett. I'd put Colborne or Frolic on their RW.

Lines
Bouma - Backlund - Frolic
Ferland - Bennett - Colborne
Bollig - Stajan - Jones

I can see why Hartley wants Ferland on the first line to spread the big bodies out. This would also enable Hudler to mentor Bennett on his line.

transplant99
09-30-2015, 06:30 PM
Let Bennett stir #### up....let Ferland finish it.

The Fonz
09-30-2015, 06:31 PM
Put him with Stajan on the 3rd/4th line. A defensively responsible, offensively capable veteran would be good for Ferland. And maybe having Ferland out there would prevent the opposition from freight training Stajan every other night.

Stud_McCool
09-30-2015, 06:48 PM
If Ferland is on the top line, that has got to be the youngest top line in the NHL. That, in itself, is exciting.

Soliak
10-01-2015, 04:34 AM
here ...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxyOT-ICUAAJHYd.jpg

These are some of the worst tie combos I have ever seen haha. Jesus christ boys get it together.