PDA

View Full Version : The Players Tribune - James Neal

manwiches
09-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Rather than start a new thread every article, I'll just create a new thread that can be updated.

New article, written by James Neal on his take on shooting.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/james-neal-predators-sniper/

Another great read.

Huntingwhale
09-29-2015, 11:37 AM
Best sports article site ever

Hackey
09-29-2015, 12:18 PM
When I played hockey I never liked playing the off wing because you're always taking passes on you're back hand and having to dish them on you're back hand but what he say's about snipers make a lot of sense since your always in the middle of the ice on you're forehand and have way better shooting angles. Makes sense why a playmaker might prefer their natural wing as opposed to a sniper who might prefer the opposite wing. I wonder if that was Bylsma's logic for making him switch or if it was simply the position available and just coincidentally worked out really well. Always some great insight with these articles.

Resolute 14
09-29-2015, 12:41 PM
Honestly, I'd rather have a new thread for each article that is worth posting.

The servers won't run out of ones and zeros.

jayswin
09-29-2015, 12:43 PM

It's mega thread or die on CP!! :D

Northendzone
09-29-2015, 12:54 PM
This thread should include the word Ongoing

Locke
09-29-2015, 01:09 PM

Me too. Threads are so cheap they're practically free.

Besides it allows for discussion about each article individually.

manwiches
09-29-2015, 01:11 PM
I'll go with the majority. I'm of the opinion for new threads, but I didn't want anybody harping on me for starting 'another' Players Tribune thread.

If mods can help me edit, change to - Players Tribune - James Neal

GioforPM
09-29-2015, 01:12 PM
New thread with the name of the article/player makes it easier to search back, I guess.

vilzeh
09-29-2015, 01:23 PM
I love Players tribune, when I first discovered it, I red articles about 5 hours straight.

Thanks for the thread, wouldn't have stumbled upon this either this quickly!

genetic_phreek
09-29-2015, 01:25 PM
One of my least favorite articles. No real insider info. I do normally like these though. Thanks for posting.

FBI
09-29-2015, 01:45 PM
Yeah not as earth shattering as some of the other ones. The stick tapping was interesting though. I still hear a lot of it in games.

kerni
09-29-2015, 01:52 PM
James if you owned a bar how cheap would your shots be. (From his ask Neal segment)

Hemi-Cuda
09-29-2015, 01:55 PM
The bit about Fleury chirping opposing players in his French Canadian accent immediately brought this to mind

2ywv_JCyolU

codynw
09-29-2015, 02:02 PM
He's right about playing your off wing being easier for shooting. I can't stand playing on the right side (I'm a right shot).

I had no idea about the stick tapping in the NHL. I wonder why that makes some players mad.

northcrunk
09-29-2015, 02:18 PM
He's right about playing your off wing being easier for shooting. I can't stand playing on the right side (I'm a right shot).

I had no idea about the stick tapping in the NHL. I wonder why that makes some players mad.

I would guess just because it telegraphs the pass.

heep223
09-29-2015, 02:41 PM

So annoying at any level. I see you - I don't think you're open or I think there's a better play. It's like snapping your fingers at someone.

Coach
09-29-2015, 02:43 PM

That's a hockey thing, not just NHL. I hate when the kids I coach tap their stick for passes. Just had this chat with them yesterday.

It's not about telegraphing, it's that, for a guy who is concerned with what he's currently doing with the puck and the pressure they have on them, someone outside their vision randomly tapping their stick does nothing to give them any new information.

Screaming for it telegraphs just as much as tapping, but if you scream you're probably using your teammates name and telling him where you are. Anyone on the ice can type their stick.

northcrunk
09-29-2015, 02:53 PM
That's a hockey thing, not just NHL. I hate when the kids I coach tap their stick for passes. Just had this chat with them yesterday.

It's not about telegraphing, it's that, for a guy who is concerned with what he's currently doing with the puck and the pressure they have on them, someone outside their vision randomly tapping their stick does nothing to give them any new information.

Screaming for it telegraphs just as much as tapping, but if you scream you're probably using your teammates name and telling him where you are. Anyone on the ice can type their stick.

When I play against a stick tapping team I always tap my stick and get the puck passed to me 50% of the time.

Tyler
09-29-2015, 03:29 PM
Best sports article site ever

This really doesn't need to be posted every time a Trib article goes live

TheFlamesVan
09-29-2015, 04:00 PM
When I read the thread title, I expected his article to be about how to deliver the perfect headshot.

genetic_phreek
09-29-2015, 04:04 PM
When I think of tapping the stick I think of the late Steve Montador.

manwiches
09-30-2015, 07:56 AM
When I think of tapping the stick I think of the late Steve Montador.

I think this was one of those times where Monty was so damned open coming into the zone. I recall watching that live thinking 'That's odd. Nobody is in the middle of the ice.' And then you hear the stick taps and screaming for the puck, and Monty skates on screen into the zone and wires it.

IMO, best use of stick slap. But for the record, I agree. I hate when my linemates tap their sticks. I'd rather someone call my name. The reason I prefer it is because I mess with other teams when I play and tap my stick for drop passes. It works maybe 5-10% of the time, but their reaction to this reminds me to never throw a pass to a tapping stick

Huntingwhale
09-30-2015, 08:51 AM
This really doesn't need to be posted every time a Trib article goes live

EL8e2ujXe8g

Kolbe31
09-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Another great read from the Players Tribune.

Whenever James Neal is brought up, I'm reminded of the mayhem that ensued when the Penguins had him take over their Twitter account using #askneal. Flyers fans went to town on him.

Among my favorites:

.@penguins If you opened a bar how cheap would your shots be #AskNeal

#askneal if you could go back in time and play with any player in history, which one would you knee in the face?