PDA

View Full Version : [PGT] Flames defeat Canucks 4-3 in OT

Cali Panthers Fan
09-26-2015, 10:35 PM
Well they won, so they deserve a dancing gif, but the way they won deserves this gif.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1213536/elaine-dance-o.gif

sureLoss
09-26-2015, 10:35 PM
Wooo!

AC
09-26-2015, 10:36 PM
sureLoss drunk.

BigRed
Motherboard overload?

Reggie Dunlop
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p180/reggiedunlop_photos/dancingscorch.gif (http://s128.photobucket.com/user/reggiedunlop_photos/media/dancingscorch.gif.html)

Point Blank
Lol Canucks fans saying that Canucks Vets are out vs a bunch of Flames prospects that want to prove themselves, that's why they lost.

That definitely explains yesterday's game in Calgary too...

JurassicTunga12
Our B or even C squad beats Vancouver's A squad pretty much.

Gaskal
09-26-2015, 10:37 PM
https://theoffdutymime.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/kent-brockman_52820.gif
Around the League Report

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/images/smilies/Vancouver_Canucks_logo_SS.png
Bollig catches Miller napping
6 million dollar goal woo
6 mil. + Eddie Lack for a top 5 draft pick.
Did miller fall asleep, looked like he was not ready for a bollig shot.
What did eddie lack get traded for again, i literally forgot
Bollig strikes again
Ugh. C'mon man. That's on Hammer.
lol, Hamhuis Sucks.
Anyone blaming Miller on that goal doesn't understand hockey. Good Lord.
I can't even
How r we losing to this flames roster?
Oh man, we're actually going to lose to Calgarys farm team + 4th line. Pathetic.
If we lose vs this flames team, holy ****
Hamhuis is bad at hockey
Hamhuis having a tire fire of a game
Great pass by Gaunce, but what the **** was Hamhuis thinking there?
Hamhuis with !!!!! nothing.
Granlund ties it up 3-3
Miller you didn't even try.
Oh Miller.
6 mil goalie
Markstrom to steal starting position by trade deadline #CONFIRMED
Jooris wins it in OT
honestly if we lose this against this flames roster, it would be the most hilarious thing i have seen thus far this preseason

Better start laughing
you honestly just gotta laugh LOL
womp womp womp

pretty sad to lose versus these scrubs, thanks millsy

We lost to this roster... Alright.. not watching a game all season.. Only highlights for me .

Top 5 pick please.

getbak
09-26-2015, 10:37 PM
The Sedins should have waited until after the game to get drunk for their birthday.

MisterJoji
09-26-2015, 10:39 PM
After that embarrassing commentary, really makes me appreciate how good we've got it with Ball and Hrudy.

BigRed
09-26-2015, 10:39 PM
The around the league report is the best innovation around here in yeeeaaaaaarrrs. Love it

IgnitedSoul
09-26-2015, 10:40 PM
the OT goal, more or less:

http://38.media.tumblr.com/753356336039b3c466b953fb80a32e73/tumblr_njqzddbFt41qkdxm3o1_500.gif

AC
Highlights (courtesy Reddit gamethread)

Bollig 1-1 Goal (https://cdn.streamable.com/video/webm/u4ti.webm)
Bollig 2-1 Goal (https://cdn.streamable.com/video/webm/zg1k.webm)
Granlund's tying 3-3 Goal (https://cdn.streamable.com/video/webm/s9lh.webm)
Stajan to Jooris OT Winner (https://cdn.streamable.com/video/webm/g3i2.webm)

trublmaker
The kids are alright

Redrum
Stajan and Stockton over the Canucks...

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/Freakinsaprykin/1437366988353_zpsq27yt7g0.gif

Reggie Dunlop
Canucks lose to Stockton Heat.

Drak
09-26-2015, 10:41 PM
the OT goal, more or less:

http://38.media.tumblr.com/753356336039b3c466b953fb80a32e73/tumblr_njqzddbFt41qkdxm3o1_500.gif

I love Stajan.

transplant99
09-26-2015, 10:41 PM
that Canuck team looks to be in a world of hurt this year. I cant believe how slow they have looked and truly low on talent.

Good.

getbak
09-26-2015, 10:42 PM
After that embarrassing commentary, really makes me appreciate how good we've got it with Ball and Hrudy.
Just tweeted by Hextall...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CP4I0Q-UAAEIkAn.jpg

The crew getting ready for the season. Looks like Hrudey is drunk.

flylock shox
09-26-2015, 10:43 PM
That was one of those games where a forward prospect could really step up and show something.

Klimchuk and Granlund seemed to do that. But nobody else really put their stamp on the game, which was a bit of a shame.

On the other hand, some (all?) of the D did look good. Kulak looks great, Spoon looked solid too. Andersson's potential is really high. Very encouraging on the back end.

In goal, I think Ramo might be the guy that's traded. Somehow I feel like there's too much overlap between him and Ortio, with Ortio being younger and cheaper with more potential. Hiller, with his flaws, is a pretty steadying presence in net, and the contrasting styles I think make a goalie switch mid-game an advantage for the Flames.

Not a pretty game, but a pretty chuffing result.

robbie111
09-26-2015, 10:44 PM
Markus Granlund Loubo's hardest working Flame tonight.

ScorchyScorch
09-26-2015, 10:45 PM
Stajan looked super skilled tonight for whatever reason. It's as if Johnny passed on his playmaking abilities to him for a game.

Horvat is a good young player, but that's about all the Canucks have coming up, so hah..suck it.

Enoch Root
09-26-2015, 10:45 PM
Kulak with a deserving assist on the OT winner

BigRed
09-26-2015, 10:46 PM
Kulak on the opening night roster. Book it.

Kaine
09-26-2015, 10:50 PM
Canucks are going to be a garbage team this year.

Fire
09-26-2015, 10:50 PM
Ramo wasn't terrible but I if the pre-season ended right now, he would be the odd man out.

JurassicTunga12
09-26-2015, 10:51 PM
Agreed in that most of the forwards didn't really stand out other than a couple of the vets and Granlund, and later in the game, Klimchuk.

Our entire D group was pretty dang good though. Man, we're overflowing with depth on D it seems. In the future with Dougie and Brodie taking on the top pairing load, and Gio with his leadership mentoring some of the younger guys coming up, while still being pretty solid himself I'd imagine. We're gonna be in such good shape on the back end for years.

ScorchyScorch
09-26-2015, 10:53 PM
that Canuck team looks to be in a world of hurt this year. I cant believe how slow they have looked and truly low on talent.

Good.

It is good.

I won't forget those merciless 5-0, 6-1 beatings they laid on us regularly in the past 5 years that would put damper on the nights out at the pub. About time the tables turned and they got their taste of mediocrity.

transplant99
09-26-2015, 10:55 PM
Ramo wasn't terrible but I if the pre-season ended right now, he would be the odd man out.

Not sure about that...I mean he just stopped 40 shots in a win.

getbak
09-26-2015, 10:55 PM
I have a feeling we'll get some clarity on the plan for Kylington tomorrow. I suspect he'll be on a plane to California in the morning.

ScorchyScorch
09-26-2015, 10:57 PM
Ortio > Ramo = Hiller so far IMO.

No discernible weak link yet.

GranteedEV
09-26-2015, 10:59 PM
Not sure about that...I mean he just stopped 40 shots in a win.

He played a very Karri Ramo game.. Let in some whatever goals, made some good saves. He is what he is - a competent 1B goalie.

I agree that he'd be the odd man out because Hiller and Ortio are just flat out better - but that's not a knock on Ramo. He's easily in that Cam Ward and Antti Niemi class of guys who could miraculously take you deep, but aren't true #1s. That's why I prefer him over Hiller - because you don't want two alpha dogs on the same team getting pissed off every time they lose their net, you want your #1 (Ortio) and your reliable backup (Ramo).

saillias
09-26-2015, 11:01 PM
Pretty amazing reading how much their fanbase is overreacting to a couple pre-season games. They might be a basement team this season but a couple lame pre-season performances won't determine that. Vets especially 30+ year old superstar vets tend to mail it in.

Not that I mind them being so bipolar.

Samiz
09-26-2015, 11:01 PM
It's really hilarious (but not surprising) that Nucks fans are turning against Miller already. Wouldn't be a Canucks season without goalie controversy

GranteedEV
09-26-2015, 11:02 PM
Stajan looked super skilled tonight for whatever reason. It's as if Johnny passed on his playmaking abilities to him for a game.

Back when we traded Phaneuf for him, he was coming off a 40 assist season, and completed that season with 38 assists too.

Enoch Root
09-26-2015, 11:02 PM
You have to think that Andersson is going to be flat out dominant in Barrie. Hopefully, he and EatBread destroy together

bob-loblaw
09-26-2015, 11:16 PM
Markus Granlund Loubo's hardest working Flame tonight.

Bollig was robbed!

GioforPM
09-26-2015, 11:17 PM
I only caught the mid second period onward. Thought Colborne was pretty good, Stajan was very good. Kulak and Wotherspoon played well. Granlund is having a really good preseason. Poirier just can't quite make a play.

calgaryblood
09-26-2015, 11:26 PM
Treliving and crew have some tough decisions coming up. Some guys who deserve a spot will not get a spot because there just isn't any room. Another game and more and more I think Raymond is not part of this organization going forward unless he's in the AHL. He's been passed by at least a half dozen players fighting for a spot.

Reaper
09-26-2015, 11:28 PM
Canucks are going to be a garbage team this year.Only this year?

robbie111
09-26-2015, 11:32 PM
Wonder why Backlund hasn't played lately, hope he's not hurt.

Caged Great
09-26-2015, 11:38 PM
^He is.

OzSome
09-26-2015, 11:59 PM
Very impressed with our young defensemen tonight and of course Karri Ramo. They are not perfect but they did a great job all night. Kulak, Morrisson, Andersson, Kylington and Wotherspoon was almost mistake-free and they looked poised out there. It looks like they have been playing in the NHL. Grandpa Ryan Wilson was actually pretty good too and I wouldn't be surprise if the Flames offer him a contract. Young forwards are okay and I expect the type of plays they made. I don't think any of Hathaway, Riley, Elson, Poirier, and Klimchuk's play will make his decision tougher when it comes to forming the regular season lineup. Ramo might have given up 3 goals and more than what Hiller gave up last night. I just hope that won't be basis of who will stay between the two. Hiller was playing behind 5 veteran defensemen and veteran forwards compared to Ramo playing behind 1 veteran defensemen and veteran 3rd and 4th line forwards plus young guys.
I am liking the 3 on 3 OT format. Hartley is making the other team guessing on how he will lined up the OT. Last night he put 2 F and 1 D. Tonight he started with 1 F and 2 Ds but the winning goal still came with 2 Fs and 1 D.

Demetric
09-26-2015, 11:59 PM
What?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

09-27-2015, 12:06 AM
McCann looks pretty good for the Canucks, looks like he'll be a player. He's getting a lot of hype in Vancouver, hes their McJesus. Horvat looks like he's going to continue to develop and be an impact player. As a Flames fan, my hope is that he becomes one of those good skater power centres but never really develops much of a finishing ability.

As for the Flames:

Kylington and Anderson are going to be big parts of this team, but I think the best thing for them is to get sent down. I thought Kylington had a rough first period, but I was really encouraged with his reads and defensive plays in the second half of the game. He got burned wide a few times in the first, but later in the game when the same situation arised, he played it differently and snuffed out the attack, that shows that the kid is smart and learning, and making adjustments even within the game. I'm leaning towards him going to the AHL, as I just don't see Brandon as a great place to learn the defensive aspects of the game.

Anderson needs an extra step in his skating to really seperate from the forecheck and lead a rush. It's not critical, but right now, I feel like he's relying too much on his smarts and positioning. The skill is so evident though. He made this one outlet under pressure where he evaded the forecheck and made a pinpoint pass on his backhand up to a forward. It was a thing of beauty.

Really starting to wonder what is up with Poirier. The speed, the shot, the tenacity that you see in highlights and read about just isn't being shown at the NHL level. I don't know if he's being too tentative or what but it's getting a little worrisome. I feel like he's almost thinking too much out there, rather than just playing.

On the other hand, I liked Klimchuk's game tonight. He looks like he's gotten quicker and he has no hesitation to battle for the puck along the boards. AHL is where he should be and hopefully he puts up some good numbers down there.

What are the Flames going to do with Granlund? He's in a dogfight for one of the forward positions. I really want to see him succeed as I think the Flames could use a skill guy for the top 6 to eventually replace Hudler. Granlund has always been a point producer at every level he's played. I just don't know if there's a place for him this year. Hopefully he doesn't get frustrated and demand a trade or leave for Finland if he gets sent down. I think in the future there's a spot for him on a line with Ferland and Bennett as I think his game really suits those two (he had great chemistry with Ferland in Abbostford). Hopefully he sticks around long enough for that to develop.

calgarywinning
09-27-2015, 12:20 AM
Booyah on Stajan for all the great feeds and heads up play. Really surprised me.

Freeway
09-27-2015, 12:34 AM
^He is.

Word is he practiced today with the local group.

TopChed
09-27-2015, 12:44 AM

I thought Shorthouse was decent, but Garrett is awful. I think I'd even prefer Simmer over Garrett.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
09-27-2015, 12:52 AM
Wonder why Backlund hasn't played lately, hope he's not hurt.
Backlund not hurt, that's un-possible.

Caged Great
09-27-2015, 12:52 AM
Word is he practiced today with the local group.

I heard it was something minor, nothing to be worried about. That makes sense that he is close again.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
09-27-2015, 12:53 AM
Only caught the back half of the third, but Tyler Wotherspoon looked good out there. Playing very aggressive and pro-active, I liked it.

Gallick
09-27-2015, 12:57 AM
Fun game to be at for $25 after spending hundreds of dollars the last few years to watch the Flames lose in Vancouver.

Ramo had a great night and can't be blamed for the first two goals. Thought Wilson was steady and looks poised to parlay that PTO into a contract. Couple great shifts from Colborne, he looks strong.

And man is that 3-on-3 good stuff. I'll take that over a shootout 10 times out of 10.

Igster
09-27-2015, 01:37 AM
Thought Wilson was steady and looks poised to parlay that PTO into a contract.

Funny the different views watching the game. I thought Wilson was slow and a turnover machine. I doubt he gets a contract. I had high hopes. Kulak had a very good game. Much better than Wilson and very poised, even under intense pressure.

jg13
09-27-2015, 02:26 AM
Didn't get a chance to watch the game tonight but wow from those highlights Matt Stajan looks like Johnny frickin Gaudreau out there.

Itse
09-27-2015, 03:20 AM
Hartley praising Bolligs conditioning and saying his "role will not change but responsibilities will increase" in the post-game interview. So sounds like he's a lock for he team. No kids pushing him out at this point.

Cali Panthers Fan
09-27-2015, 06:22 AM
^ Even if Bollig's job was in danger, going out and getting 2 goals in a game against most of the veterans for Vancouver and against their top goalie should have been enough for him to keep his job.

But realistically, Bollig is the only real tough guy we have on forward, so he was always going to be on a team run by Treliving and Burke.

Rick M.
09-27-2015, 06:26 AM
^ Even if Bollig's job was in danger, going out and getting 2 goals in a game against most of the veterans for Vancouver and against their top goalie should have been enough for him to keep his job.

But realistically, Bollig is the only real tough guy we have on forward, so he was always going to be on a team run by Treliving and Burke.

I consider Ferland pretty tough too.

GioforPM
09-27-2015, 07:47 AM
Funny how a few people are shocked at Stajan's play. The guy has always been capable on offence. Look at his stat history. He has, to his credit, accepted a lesser role for the betterment of the team. Not to mention the odd clutch goal (right Canucks)? That's why people say he can play up and down the lineup when needed.

Fighting Banana Slug
09-27-2015, 08:07 AM
^^ True about Stajan, but was surprising to me was his speed. He looked really explosive out there. Perhaps more of an indictment on the Nucks, but he was really pushing the play.

On D, I think Kulak, Wilson and Nakladal (if healthy) are the last ones pushing for 7d. Wotherspoon has been just OK to me.

transplant99
09-27-2015, 08:30 AM
He played a very Karri Ramo game.. Let in some whatever goals, made some good saves. He is what he is - a competent 1B goalie.

I agree that he'd be the odd man out because Hiller and Ortio are just flat out better - but that's not a knock on Ramo. He's easily in that Cam Ward and Antti Niemi class of guys who could miraculously take you deep, but aren't true #1s. That's why I prefer him over Hiller - because you don't want two alpha dogs on the same team getting pissed off every time they lose their net, you want your #1 (Ortio) and your reliable backup (Ramo).

I entirely disagree with that.

Yours is an opinion like anyone one else, but that does not make it so.

I believe Ramo better than Hiller by a wide margin while the jury is still out on Ortio.

red sky
09-27-2015, 08:30 AM
Funny the different views watching the game. I thought Wilson was slow and a turnover machine. I doubt he gets a contract. I had high hopes. Kulak had a very good game. Much better than Wilson and very poised, even under intense pressure.

I agree. There was a stretch in the third where he gave the pick away twice and the boards and then lost a board battle.

Royle9
09-27-2015, 08:41 AM
I honestly see Kulak as the next Brodie, they play a very similar game. His skating looks flawless out there, and his poise with the puck and attention to detail is pretty spot on. The guy never panic's it seems and with Brodie being out for 3-6 weeks and Nakladal out as well I truly believe Kulak has played his way onto the flames.

I think if Engeland goes down or something Wilson would slot in there but the mobility needed to take over Brodie's spot is right up Kulaks alley. Truth be told I used to think Kulak was going no where, but he's proved me wrong big time and I'll eat crow for it.

druetetective
09-27-2015, 09:28 AM
Iv'e been high on Kulak for a very long time, Always insisting he was our 2nd best D prospect. (after Wotherspoon at 1st and later Hickey).

It was absurd how underrated he was for a while. I've seen numerous top 25 prospect lists he wasn't apart of.

Torrie the Whaler
09-27-2015, 09:40 AM
backlund not hurt, that's un-possible.
inconceivable!

GioforPM
09-27-2015, 09:53 AM
It wouldn't take much of an injury to keep a vet like Backlund out of preseason games.

sworkhard
09-27-2015, 09:57 AM
^^ True about Stajan, but was surprising to me was his speed. He looked really explosive out there. Perhaps more of an indictment on the Nucks, but he was really pushing the play.

On D, I think Kulak, Wilson and Nakladal (if healthy) are the last ones pushing for 7d. Wotherspoon has been just OK to me.

Stajan's speed is what surprised me too. The type of passes he made though are the kind of passes he's done his entire career. I wouldn't be surprised if close to half of his career assists are from behind the net. Bollig looked more mobile too.

I've been impressed by Kulak and Sieloff on defense. Sieloff looks like he may have the strength to play his style at the NHL level now. Wotherspoon also looked good, but didn't look as tough to play against as Sieloff. Wotherspoon is probably more proficient offensively though.

On forward, I was impressed with Klimchuck. He was strong on the puck, winning board battles, and driving the net. I think he'll do well in Stockton this year.

Porier looked slow and weak on the boards. I remember this happened to Backlund as he put on size and strength for a couple years too, so perhaps it's just going to take him some time to get his quickness back after putting on more muscle. It's also possible he hasn't completely recovered from his injuries.

IgiTang
09-27-2015, 10:11 AM
Man oh man... Eating alot of crow from these two games on Stajan. He was an absolute beast. He was seeing the ice and skating faster than I'd ever seen him. Maybe the best I've seen him play. Perhaps he read CP and seen my post and was like f*** that igitang guy, I'm sticking around.

Good for him though!

FlamesAddiction
09-27-2015, 10:12 AM
Really starting to wonder what is up with Poirier. The speed, the shot, the tenacity that you see in highlights and read about just isn't being shown at the NHL level. I don't know if he's being too tentative or what but it's getting a little worrisome. I feel like he's almost thinking too much out there, rather than just playing.

He probably just needs more time in the AHL to work on things. Not unusual for a prospect like him.

If he isn't pushing for a roster spot next year at this time, then I might start to worry.

Hatter
09-27-2015, 10:34 AM
I agree with a lot of other posters here. I'm not sure if he changed his training regimen this year or what, but Stajan looked blindingly fast out there last night.

He was never obviously slow, but in past seasons has seemed very deliberate in making his way around the ice. He's always been a pretty cerebral player, so if he really has improved his skating speed there could be good things coming from #18 this year.

Street Pharmacist
09-27-2015, 10:55 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like the Sedins were skating in mud last night. They've always been slow, but wow. Those are some of the slowest NHLers on the planet

Igster
09-27-2015, 10:57 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like the Sedins were skating in mud last night. They've always been slow, but wow. Those are some of the slowest NHLers on the planet

Well, they are 35 after all. We were reminded about that several times during the broadcast in case we didn't know or remember.

Street Pharmacist
09-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Well, they are 35 after all. We were reminded about that several times during the broadcast in case we didn't know or remember.
Even still. They're slower than Jagr

Enoch Root
09-27-2015, 11:18 AM
They were very slow, but I doubt they cared in the slightest. 35 year olds with Art Ross trophies rarely get excited about pre-season.

Was awesome to watch our 30-somethings outwork and outplay them though.

LOVE our culture.

And that was the best thing about Stajan last night. It was great to see him play well. But what REALLY mattered was that he worked his tail off and was a fantastic role model for the culture.

foshizzle11
09-27-2015, 11:23 AM
I finally got to watch the highlights, I was very impressed with Stajan's skill tonight, wow. Some pretty slick passing out there from the vet.

Imagine we get to see our 4th line putting consistent points this season, we will be laughing!

Great to see our young D standing tall and helping us win, they did look poised out there from the little I saw. Calm and confident.

BT and Co have some tough, tough decisions to make. This is coming down to the wire and I bet we see a lot of changes to our lineup this year from the start to the end of the season. Guys are pushing and it is very exciting.

Great job by Hartley as coaching staff for creating this atmosphere and giving every player a pchance to be on the team no matter your pay scale.

Love this team.

CaptainCrunch
09-27-2015, 11:49 AM

They've never been really fast, they're more along the line of cyclers on the board and protecting the puck really well. But I think that Canuck fans are going to be sad to see them sharply decline this year, they're not guys that should be your primary guys that you build your team around.

Plus when you watched the Flames and Canucks last year most teams are going to do the same and not chase them along the boards and just let them cycle away while watching their passing lanes.

Karl
09-27-2015, 10:57 PM
As swokhard mentioned, Stajan has always been a pretty good passer, and that was on full display last night to say the least. And, as GioforPM said, this really shouldn't be surprising considering when Staj is given any chance with better offensive opportunities, he's shown he can produce decent offense.

Also, as sworkhard and others also noted, he also looked considerably faster last night than usual. That was encouraging to see, and that's the only thing we should really be surprised about from that game last night regarding Stajan.

Good to see Matty show the passing abilities that he did back in 08-09 (and 09-10 with the Leafs before coming here).

And of course, great on Bollig to score those too. Hopefully this game also gets Bollig's ketchup bottle going some more.

Good times.

GoJetsGo
09-27-2015, 11:53 PM
Stajan is a Canuck killer.

Between the series winner in the playoffs and his three assists last night leading the AHL Flames over the NHL Canucks, I'm loving how much Vancouver fans must hate him as of late.

GioforPM
09-28-2015, 11:06 AM
Stajan is a Canuck killer.

Between the series winner in the playoffs and his three assists last night leading the AHL Flames over the NHL Canucks, I'm loving how much Vancouver fans must hate him as of late.

I'm pretty sure Hartley was thinking rivalry when he played Ferland, Bennett (after playing in Calgary the previous night) and Stajan. Bollig too I guess. The only one missing was Engelland.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Engelland-640x424.jpg