PDA

View Full Version : [News] Flames cut 9 players (7 to Stockton, Schneider back to Junior, Murray released)

sureLoss
09-25-2015, 03:08 PM
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=780560

The Calgary Flames announced today that they have assigned seven players to their American Hockey League affiliate, the Stockton Heat: Austin Carroll (RW), Mitchell Heard (C), Aaron Johnson (D), Ryan Lomberg (LW), Louick Marcotte (RW), Kent Simpson (G), and Hunter Smith (RW). The Flames also assigned goaltender Nick Schneider to Medicine Hat (WHL) and they announced that defenceman Douglas Murray has been released from his professional try-out.

Calgary has 49 players remaining at training camp (5x goalies, 18x defencemen, 26x forwards).

polak
09-25-2015, 03:10 PM
Hunter Smith makes the A! That's good. Or was he a lock?

GranteedEV
09-25-2015, 03:10 PM
Caroll and Smith the most notable cuts. Schneider sent to Junior unsurprisingly.

sureLoss
09-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Hunter Smith makes the A! That's good. Or was he a lock?

He could have gone back to junior as an overager, but it would have been a surprise if he did.

JJ1532
09-25-2015, 03:14 PM
Would someone be kind enough to post an updated roster of who is now left in camp?

redsunsdriver
09-25-2015, 03:14 PM
I guess Carroll is not playing tonight.

FBI
09-25-2015, 03:18 PM
Pumped that Smith made the Heat! Carroll too right? Or was that a given..

Ring of Fire
09-25-2015, 03:20 PM
Kanzig not assigned to the AHL with Carroll and Smith (both guys that are 1st year pro). I know Klimchuk is also hanging around but it looks like Kanzig may be going back to jrs.

Caged Great
09-25-2015, 03:20 PM
All of them were expected. I'm sure after tomorrow another dozen or so will get re-assigned.

sureLoss
09-25-2015, 03:21 PM
who is left by my count (please let me know if there is a mistake)
GOALTENDERS
1 - Jonas Hiller
31 - Karri Ramo
72 - Mason McDonald
36 - Jon Gillies
37 - Joni Ortio
DEFENCEMEN
15 - Ladislav Smid
63 - Ryan Culkin
7 - TJ Brodie
26 - Tyler Wotherspoon
29 - Deryk Engelland
43 - Dustin Stevenson
73 - Keegan Kanzig
4 - Kris Russell
6 - Dennis Wideman
50 - Patrick Sieloff
53 - Kenney Morrison
58 - Oliver Kylington
5 - Mark Giordano
27 - Dougie Hamilton
33 - Jakub Nakladal
44 - Ryan Wilson (PTO)
54 - Rasmus Andersson
61 - Brett Kulak

FORWARDS
13 - Johnny Gaudreau
16 - Josh Jooris
23 - Sean Monahan
51 - Kenny Agostino
60 - Markus Granlund
79 - Micheal Ferland
8 - Joe Colborne
11 - Mikael Backlund
17 - Lance Bouma
22 - Drew Shore
28 - Emile Poirier
52 - Brandon Bollig
64 - Garnet Hathaway
65 - Turner Elson
67 - Micheal Frolik
18 - Matt Stajan
19 - David Jones
21 - Mason Raymond
24 - Jiri Hudler
45 - Morgan Klimchuk
46 - Bill Arnold
48 - Bryce Van Brabant
57 - Derek Grant
76 - Blair Riley
93 - Sam Bennett
32 - Paul Byron

dammage79
09-25-2015, 03:22 PM
Kanzig not assigned to the AHL with Carroll and Smith (both guys that are 1st year pro). I know Klimchuk is also hanging around but it looks like Kanzig may be going back to jrs.

Don't assume that just yet. Kanzig was one of the last cuts last season too. I think the Flames want more face to face time with him.

Serapth
09-25-2015, 03:25 PM
So, if a rookie pushes hard, do we expect to see a trade happen immediately, or a minor league start and a promotion later? I mean, always earned, right?

Jay Random
09-25-2015, 03:26 PM
So, if a rookie pushes hard, do we expect to see a trade happen immediately, or a minor league start and a promotion later? I mean, always earned, right?

If a trade has to happen to make room for the rookie, then the trade happens when it happens. One GM can't make a trade all by himself.

Finger Cookin
09-25-2015, 03:26 PM

Probably similar to last year, where Jooris earned a spot but didn't get recalled right away until Setoguchi got demoted.

Serapth
09-25-2015, 03:28 PM
If a trade has to happen to make room for the rookie, then the trade happens when it happens. One GM can't make a trade all by himself.

But you run into a catch-22. If a player earns his way onto the team but doesn't make the team, it makes the ethos seem like a lie.

On the other hand, if you send a veteran down to the minor while waiting to trade them, you kill their value.

Leaving a very very very small window in which to make an optimal trade.

polak
09-25-2015, 03:30 PM
I guess Carroll is not playing tonight.

Was he supposed too?

Finger Cookin
09-25-2015, 03:33 PM
But you run into a catch-22. If a player earns his way onto the team but doesn't make the team, it makes the ethos seem like a lie.
Only to pedantic fans.

GranteedEV
09-25-2015, 03:36 PM
One notable non-cut is Dustin Stevenson. Must be a real boost to his confidence.

Locke
09-25-2015, 03:38 PM

On the other hand, if you send a veteran down to the minor while waiting to trade them, you kill their value.

Yeah, no.

Just because you earned something doesnt mean you'll reap the reward immediately.

Professional hockey, hell professional sports in general, are not big on instant gratification.

If you earn a spot thats great but you may not get it right away and not every single time they dont immediately adhere to the ethos to the letter makes it instantly obsolete or hollow.

Stay Golden
09-25-2015, 03:45 PM
Keep the cuts coming Hartley :D Murray released nice the Flames have 4-5 D prospects that would be a better fit for the 7 spot. Not including Wilson.

sureLoss

Carroll was a given. He was too old to go back to junior.

DoubleF

Just because you do well in a several month stint doesn't mean you suddenly forget all the time before it. That's why vets usually have an edge. If you're honest as management and explain that a good rookie will be a first call up and deliver on that promise, the ethos doesn't fade.

I generally only see prospects frustrated when other prospects start passing them and they don't understand why. (ie: Sven, Koko etc.) I don't think I've ever seen a prospect pissed because they feel they are constantly passed over for NHL promotion due to the bottom 6 vets on the roster.

Cheerio
09-25-2015, 03:46 PM
GOALTENDERS
1 - Jonas Hiller
37 - Joni Ortio
DEFENCEMEN
15 - Ladislav Smid (IR)
7 - TJ Brodie (IR)
29 - Deryk Engelland
4 - Kris Russell
6 - Dennis Wideman
5 - Mark Giordano
27 - Dougie Hamilton
33 - Jakub Nakladal
44 - Ryan Wilson (PTO)

FORWARDS
13 - Johnny Gaudreau
16 - Josh Jooris
23 - Sean Monahan
79 - Micheal Ferland
8 - Joe Colborne
11 - Mikael Backlund
17 - Lance Bouma
22 - Drew Shore
67 - Micheal Frolik
18 - Matt Stajan
19 - David Jones
21 - Mason Raymond
24 - Jiri Hudler
93 - Sam Bennett

My hopes for the opening day roster

Burner
09-25-2015, 03:46 PM
the sportsnet headline....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-re-assign-eight-to-whls-medicine-hat-tigers/

JJ1532
09-25-2015, 03:52 PM
GOALTENDERS
1 - Jonas Hiller
31 - Karri Ramo
72 - Mason McDonald
36 - Jon Gillies
37 - Joni Ortio
DEFENCEMEN
15 - Ladislav Smid
63 - Ryan Culkin
7 - TJ Brodie
26 - Tyler Wotherspoon
29 - Deryk Engelland
43 - Dustin Stevenson
73 - Keegan Kanzig
4 - Kris Russell
6 - Dennis Wideman
50 - Patrick Sieloff
53 - Kenney Morrison
58 - Oliver Kylington
5 - Mark Giordano
27 - Dougie Hamilton
33 - Jakub Nakladal
44 - Ryan Wilson (PTO)
54 - Rasmus Andersson
61 - Brett Kulak

FORWARDS
13 - Johnny Gaudreau
16 - Josh Jooris
23 - Sean Monahan
51 - Kenny Agostino
60 - Markus Granlund
79 - Micheal Ferland
8 - Joe Colborne
11 - Mikael Backlund
17 - Lance Bouma
22 - Drew Shore
28 - Emile Poirier
52 - Brandon Bollig
64 - Garnet Hathaway
65 - Turner Elson
67 - Micheal Frolik
18 - Matt Stajan
19 - David Jones
21 - Mason Raymond
24 - Jiri Hudler
45 - Morgan Klimchuk
46 - Bill Arnold
48 - Bryce Van Brabant
57 - Derek Grant
76 - Blair Riley
93 - Sam Bennett
32 - Paul Byron My opening day roster. Haven't seen any pre-season games, so could be way off. Forgive me if I am.

If I was the GM, I can get us down to 2 goalies and 7 d men, accounting for Brodie and Smid being on the IR. But I'm struggling to cut the last 2 forwards. Gonna be a tough decision for Treliving.

Vulcan
09-25-2015, 03:56 PM

They still need to make the Heat and they could still be sent down to Adirondack or in Smith's case back to junior. Calgary still has 12 extra forwards who have to play somewhere.

Finger Cookin
09-25-2015, 03:57 PM
nm

killer_carlson
09-25-2015, 04:02 PM
It will be interesting to see how Smith handles the early demotion.

I have high hopes for him, but there is a lot of work to be done.

Calgary4LIfe
09-25-2015, 04:20 PM
Keep the cuts coming Hartley :D Murray released nice the Flames have 4-5 D prospects that would be a better fit for the 7 spot. Not including Wilson.

There will be no Flames' prospects being the 7th defencemen. Murray would have been a much better fit in that regard as you don't care at all if he develops. You don't want prospects sitting around not getting into games. A vet becomes the 7th - Smid, Engelland, Johnson, Wilson, etc.

Surprised that Smith and Carrol got sent down so quickly - figured they would stick around a bit longer to get a bit more exposure as to how big of a step-up the NHL is. I expected both to be demoted before the start of the season, but figured they would stick around a bit longer in preseason.

Surprised Stevenson stuck around - maybe he is expected to take on a bit of a leadership role in Stockton and feel being around Giordano and the rest of the Flames would help in that regard? Not that he is bad or anything, but I don't quite consider him to be a legitimate prospect at this point (though I guess that wouldn't be out of the question). Riley too is a bit of a surprise at sticking around, so perhaps ditto for him?

Some very tough decisions coming for sure. Will be very interesting what they decide to do with Shore in particular.

FlamesFanFromBC
09-25-2015, 04:34 PM
Is Aaron Johnson signed to 2-way contract or signed AHL contract? Last I heard he was on a PTO.

topfiverecords
09-25-2015, 04:43 PM
My hopes for the opening day roster

Wanting Raymond on the opening day roster? That's a bannin!

TheDebaser
09-25-2015, 04:53 PM
Yes, on this day, 9 of our finest competitors have fallen from our ranks.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

42xzsq7St88

Lanny'sDaMan
09-25-2015, 05:02 PM
My opening day roster. Haven't seen any pre-season games, so could be way off. Forgive me if I am.

If I was the GM, I can get us down to 2 goalies and 7 d men, accounting for Brodie and Smid being on the IR. But I'm struggling to cut the last 2 forwards. Gonna be a tough decision for Treliving.

I mostly agreed with your roster except all things being equal I would release Wilson and let Andersson play out his ten til Brodie or Smid return.

cannon7
09-25-2015, 05:09 PM
The hardest part about holding up the "always earned, never given" mantra is having vets that aren't very desirable to other GMs in the way.