PDA

View Full Version : Bryan Murray gives a prospect a dose of reality

sureLoss
09-25-2015, 10:48 AM
Apparently Murray lost his cool trying to convince a prospect to stay.

Sylvain St-Laurent @Syl_St_Laurent
#Sens QUOTE OF THE DAY: "I told him (Wikstrand) he can go home and be a grocery clerk and play in a beer league." - Bryan Murray

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/09/24/senators-prospect-wikstrand-bolts-for-sweden

There could be one less player at Senators' camp when they hit the ice Friday morning.

Sources confirmed to the Sun reports out of Sweden Thursday night that prospect defenceman Mikael Wikstrand is likely headed back to Farjestad to try to rejoin his club team there. The club could either move to suspend the 21-year-old defenceman because they'd rather have him in the AHL this season or decide if they'll grant him permission to play overseas if he doesn't report Friday morning.

The Senators have spent a lot of time in camp trying to convince Wikstrand to stay -- even newly-appointed senior adviser to scouting Daniel Alfredsson has held talks with the young man to try to keep him here.

Signed to an entry-level deal last year, the hope was the seventh-round pick in 2012 would come to camp and compete for a spot on the blueline. Instead, he only suited up for one game at the rookie tournament in London earlier this month, suffered a shoulder injury and hasn't played during camp.

The Senators believe Wikstrand has a good shot at being an NHL player but want him to make the transition to North American hockey this season by playing in Binghamton. He wouldn't confirm his return to Sweden when contacted by reporters there Thursday night and referred all calls to his agent.

Erick Estrada
09-25-2015, 11:05 AM
IMO that's pretty bush league by Murray. The kid is a human being and if that's the decision he feels is best for him you don't have to like it but you should be able to accept it in a professional manner. I highly doubt you would ever hear Brad Treliving say that even if he was just as disappointed.

neo45
09-25-2015, 11:08 AM
Nowhere near as bad as what Tom did to us. This kid would rather play at home in a league that is about as good as the AHL, big deal

Hemi-Cuda
09-25-2015, 11:09 AM
Murray comes off like a tool, there are a lot of fringe Euro hockey players that decide to stay and play at home instead of bouncing around North America hoping to stick with an NHL club. They still make a great living playing hockey and don't need to bag groceries to make ends meet

Benched
09-25-2015, 11:10 AM
They may think it's the best path for him to the NHL, but another year in Sweden, probably not the end of the world and not worth the potentially irreparable damage your comments are doing to your relationship with the player...

sureLoss
09-25-2015, 11:11 AM
Some of you are misunderstanding the situation. The kid has a valid NHL contract and going back to europe without the club's permission.

Full quote.

Brent Wallace @tsn_wally
Murray on Wikstrand: "I told him he could go back and be a grocery clerk. He could play in the beer leagues but he could not play hockey...

Brent Wallace @tsn_wally
Murray con’t “... in any shape or form if he doesn’t play for the Ottawa organization and that’s the way it will be."

Basically Murray won't sign his transfer papers to allow him to play in Europe under IIHF rules. In other words, the Senators are blocking the from kid playing professional hockey.

polak
09-25-2015, 11:13 AM
7th round pick with an actual shot at the NHL should probably listen to his NHL team....

But I think Murray was d-bag too.

Erick Estrada
09-25-2015, 11:18 AM
Some of you are misunderstanding the situation. The kid has a valid NHL contract and going back to europe without the club's permission.

Full quote.

Brent Wallace @tsn_wally
Murray on Wikstrand: "I told him he could go back and be a grocery clerk. He could play in the beer leagues but he could not play hockey...

Brent Wallace @tsn_wally
Murray con’t “... in any shape or form if he doesn’t play for the Ottawa organization and that’s the way it will be."

Basically Murray won't sign his transfer papers to allow him to play in Europe under IIHF rules. In other words, the Senators are blocking the from kid playing professional hockey.

I admit I only read the initial quotes you put up and after reading Murray is doing what is within the team's rights it's not like he's a core player that has decided to bail on the team. It's a young man that maybe realized he's not comfortable living and playing in North America at this time. IMO this can be handled much more gracefully as I don't see the upside of trying to force a young player into something he's not comfortable with. I'm of the opinion if a player doesn't want to be on the team you move on to players that do.

Locke
09-25-2015, 11:19 AM
Well thats one way to ruin the relationship between the team and the player.

Is this kid it? Is he the final missing piece that absolutely must stay? Because if not then this probably wasnt the hill to die on.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
09-25-2015, 11:19 AM
Sometimes you have to speak in terms people understand. At least Murray was straight with kid on what he feels his decisions means for his future NHL career. You could argue that he didn't need to quote what he said to the media, but as fans we are always clamouring for more exposure from behind closed doors so I'm ok with it.

SuperMatt18
09-25-2015, 11:25 AM

Full quote.

Brent Wallace @tsn_wally

Brent Wallace @tsn_wally

But if the kid really isn't loving life in North America, would rather play in Sweden, and wants to go home why be a dick about him and block his path.

Maybe his mental wellness isn't really great in North America, and he feels it is better for him to be in Sweden.

Don't pay him, assign him to the Swedish league, and call it a day. It's not like the kid is demanding a trade or wants a new contract, he just wants to go back home.

Komskies
09-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Surprised Alfie couldn't convince his fellow Swede to stay in North America.

sureLoss
09-25-2015, 11:34 AM
I admit I only read the initial quotes you put up and after reading Murray is doing what is within the team's rights it's not like he's a core player that has decided to bail on the team. It's a young man that maybe realized he's not comfortable living and playing in North America at this time. IMO this can be handled much more gracefully as I don't see the upside of trying to force a young player into something he's not comfortable with. I'm of the opinion if a player doesn't want to be on the team you move on to players that do.

Maybe a bit coming from Melnyk.

The senators paid a $80k signing bonus to the kid on July 1st.

Remember there were stories about how pissed Melnyk was that Heatley forced a trade after Heatley's signing bonus had to be paid out by the Senators. Granted $80k is a different order of magnitude than the millions Heatley got, but Melnyk could be mad that the kid is only leaving after getting his signing bonus for this upcoming season and not deciding to leave before it was paid out.

Benched
09-25-2015, 11:37 AM
purse strings that tight there?

Fighting Banana Slug
09-25-2015, 11:41 AM

Oh yeah, from what I heard about Melnyk, he'd be pissed if they paid for his taxi from the airport.

dash_pinched
09-25-2015, 11:43 AM

Melnyk has too much money tied up in his forensic investigations.

Coach
09-25-2015, 11:44 AM
Surprised Alfie couldn't convince his fellow Swede to stay in North America.

I'm kind of surprised Alfie didn't convince Murray to just let the kid go play at home. Would they not still hold his rights upon returning to NA?

Seems like an odd thing to lose your cool about.

The Yen Man
09-25-2015, 11:46 AM
I guess I'm in the minority, but I think I side with Murray. Kid signed a contract with the Sens. He had no problem taking the signing bonus it seems. His rights belong to the Senators for the duration of the contract. If he wasn't sure, he shouldn't have signed the deal. Now he's committed to it, and wants to back out. I'd be pissed too if I were the Sens.

GioforPM
09-25-2015, 11:50 AM
I guess I'm in the minority, but I think I side with Murray. Kid signed a contract with the Sens. He had no problem taking the signing bonus it seems. His rights belong to the Senators for the duration of the contract. If he wasn't sure, he shouldn't have signed the deal. Now he's committed to it, and wants to back out. I'd be pissed too if I were the Sens.

Sure, it's legal. But I wouldn't keep him to go and sulk in the AHL and take up a good spot on my farm team. Maybe the Sens shouldn't pay a signing bonus to a kid with an iffy attitude.

If the kid wants to play in a Euro pro league or something, probably the best thing to do would have been to cut a deal for his release (maybe the Euro team would pay part of his bonus back).

sureLoss
09-25-2015, 11:52 AM

Fighting Banana Slug
09-25-2015, 11:53 AM

Full quote.

Brent Wallace @tsn_wally

Brent Wallace @tsn_wally

That makes more sense for sure. Still, Murray could have handled it better, I think.
Basically the reverse situation of Kylington, no? AIK could have kept him in Sweden, but allowed him to go to NA. Probably don't want a potentially mopey player hanging around, which might be the case with this kid in the AHL.

The Yen Man
09-25-2015, 11:54 AM
Sure, it's legal. But I wouldn't keep him to go and sulk in the AHL and take up a good spot on my farm team. Maybe the Sens shouldn't pay a signing bonus to a kid with an iffy attitude.

If the kid wants to play in a Euro pro league or something, probably the best thing to do would have been to cut a deal for his release (maybe the Euro team would pay part of his bonus back).

I'm guessing ultimately in the end, this is what they'll do. It just sounds like Murray airing out his frustration with the kid more than anything else. I seriously don't think they'll keep the kid around if he really doesn't want to stay.

sureLoss
09-25-2015, 11:55 AM
That makes more sense for sure. Still, Murray could have handled it better, I think.
Basically the reverse situation of Kylington, no? AIK could have kept him in Sweden, but allowed him to go to NA. Probably don't want a potentially mopey player hanging around, which might be the case with this kid in the AHL.

Your post brings up another good point. The senators could have also potentially paid a ~$200k transfer fee to bring him to North America in the first place.

Erick Estrada
09-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Maybe a bit coming from Melnyk.

The senators paid a $80k signing bonus to the kid on July 1st.

Remember there were stories about how pissed Melnyk was that Heatley forced a trade after Heatley's signing bonus had to be paid out by the Senators. Granted $80k is a different order of magnitude than the millions Heatley got, but Melnyk could be mad that the kid is only leaving after getting his signing bonus for this upcoming season and not deciding to leave before it was paid out.

Maybe. I know nothing about the player or his motives. All I know is that I wouldn't want to force a young man into something he wasn't comfortable with as maybe he has anxiety issues being away from home. Some young people find it hard to adapt to a new lifestyle.

sureLoss
09-25-2015, 12:00 PM
Story gets weirder:

Don Brennan @SunDoniB
Wikstand has tweeted in Swedish that he left Ottawa because a "close family member is seriously ill." Bryan Murray wasn't told #sens

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPxG6oMW8AA6VSv.jpg:medium

Benched
09-25-2015, 12:05 PM
"Bryan Murray wasn't told #sens"

the doh is strong here. Either someone really messed up, or he shot his mouth off before hearing the facts.

Sainters7
09-25-2015, 12:11 PM
Even without that last info, I really don't understand Murray's comments. He thinks the kid has a real shot at the NHL, but couldn't crack a European pro league, and would then be forced to bag groceries?

That's just a dumb, emotional comment.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android

Poe969
09-25-2015, 12:12 PM
The only real way for Murray to clear his name right now is to trade a second round pick to the Flames for Mason Raymond. Everyone would forget how bad he handled the prospect thing and focus on the deal!

You'd have to think the prospect would have told someone about the family member though.

Komskies
09-25-2015, 12:14 PM
Even without that last info, I really don't understand Murray's comments. He thinks the kid has a real shot at the NHL, but couldn't crack a European pro league, and would then be forced to bag groceries?

It's not that he couldn't crack a European roster, it's that the Sens don't want to sign the transfer agreement, hence the bagging groceries comment. If he's not going to play in North America, they won't let him play at all.

Radio
09-25-2015, 12:16 PM
nm...Komskies beat me to it.

Sainters7
09-25-2015, 12:19 PM
Ah gotcha. Well at least he's handling it maturely

Hockey Fan #751
09-25-2015, 12:35 PM
The problem with letting him go is you set a future precedent for all your other European prospects that it's okay for them to sign NHL contracts, accept signing bonuses and then head back.

Now, if you make an exception due to his family situation that's different as it is extenuating circumstances.

Locke
09-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Oh yeah, from what I heard about Melnyk, he'd be pissed if they paid for his taxi from the airport.

Yeah, but anything that pisses off Melnyk is good in my books.

Itse
09-25-2015, 01:17 PM
The problem with letting him go is you set a future precedent for all your other European prospects that it's okay for them to sign NHL contracts, accept signing bonuses and then head back.

Considering that 99% of hockey players ultimately want to play in North America, I see that as a really marginal problem.

Strange Brew
09-25-2015, 01:38 PM
Well thats one way to ruin the relationship between the team and the player.

Is this kid it? Is he the final missing piece that absolutely must stay? Because if not then this probably wasnt the hill to die on.

Sorry but I could not resist commenting on the old "hill to die on" cliche. I'm not sure the Sens are dying on a hill here. Requiring a 7th round pick to honor his contract is probably not Napoleon's Waterloo or Custer's
Last Stand.

Locke
09-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Sorry but I could not resist commenting on the old "hill to die on" cliche. I'm not sure the Sens are dying on a hill here. Requiring a 7th round pick to honor his contract is probably not Napoleon's Waterloo or Custer's
Last Stand.

I meant that in the context of any future dealings between the player and the club. You dig your heels in on this issue and any and all future negotiations are going to be a battle.

If hes absolutely dead-set on going home then ship the kid back to Sweden for the season and try again next year. Presumably if he goes to Sweden he isnt getting paid, sure he got his signing bonus, but thats it.

And the thing is, a 7th round pick is a throw-away, if they get anything out of it at all its practically a miracle, one season of playing in Europe isnt going to kill him or the Sens and at the end of the day he doesnt want to be here, so what can you do? You can play hardball and get nothing for their investment of his signing bonus and potential transfer fee or they can take that time to get him up to expectations next year.

The 'hill to die on' comment basically means that with actions and words like this, its a scorched earth policy and I dont see that it really needs to be.

Hell, until the emergence of this thread I'd never even heard of this kid.

Five-hole
09-25-2015, 03:30 PM
I meant that in the context of any future dealings between the player and the club. You dig your heels in on this issue and any and all future negotiations are going to be a battle.

If hes absolutely dead-set on going home then ship the kid back to Sweden for the season and try again next year. Presumably if he goes to Sweden he isnt getting paid, sure he got his signing bonus, but thats it.

And the thing is, a 7th round pick is a throw-away, if they get anything out of it at all its practically a miracle, one season of playing in Europe isnt going to kill him or the Sens and at the end of the day he doesnt want to be here, so what can you do? You can play hardball and get nothing for their investment of his signing bonus and potential transfer fee or they can take that time to get him up to expectations next year.

The 'hill to die on' comment basically means that with actions and words like this, its a scorched earth policy and I dont see that it really needs to be.

Said Tim Ramholt

combustiblefuel
09-25-2015, 04:05 PM

I felt the same way untill Sureloss posted this video from today.

I'm on the side the Sens on this one . The kid make a commitment and failed to live up to his half pf the agreement.If I signed a contract for a job and accepted a signing bonus then just disappeared I'm sure they would either sue me or expect I give them every penny back.

It's weird that he posted their is a family illness alll of a sudden right before he boards a plane. It sounds like he was trying to leave for the last week or so and that didn't work so he played a trump card.

combustiblefuel
09-25-2015, 04:07 PM

It seems they already did him this favor last year tho.

GullFoss
09-26-2015, 12:14 AM
In the interview he sounds pretty level headed about the whole situation. Doesnt rip the player at all. Pretty classy imo.

CorsiHockeyLeague
09-26-2015, 12:31 PM
If there's a family illness, fine, go be with your family, and then once you've done that come back and play for Binghamton. How is this complicated?

Kid sounds like he just made up an excuse.

Resolute 14
09-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Yeah, no. The Sens aren't spending the time they did trying to convince him to play in Binghamton if they weren't worried about the kid bolting back to Sweden. He might well have a sick relative, but it seems he is using that an excuse to justify reneging on his contract.

That said, it is unsurprising that Bryan Murray continues to be a dbag.

Finger Cookin
09-26-2015, 01:33 PM
Lots of sympathy for a kid reneging on his contract. Good thing he didn't sleep in, or the knives would be out.

Reaper
09-26-2015, 11:44 PM
I felt the same way untill Sureloss posted this video from today.

I'm on the side the Sens on this one . The kid make a commitment and failed to live up to his half pf the agreement.If I signed a contract for a job and accepted a signing bonus then just disappeared I'm sure they would either sue me or expect I give them every penny back.

It's weird that he posted their is a family illness alll of a sudden right before he boards a plane. It sounds like he was trying to leave for the last week or so and that didn't work so he played a trump card.Yeah, it seems like he got his bonus, nodded happily and crossed his fingers while saying he'd love to play in North America for 2015-2016. Then he shows up at rookie camp and starts to go back home because "he didn't think he was ready." If I was Melnyk and the kid sat in my office and took the bonus I handed to him then told me he'd play in the NHL I'd be sore too.

If the sick relative excuse is true (it feels too conveniently timed) then this kid has some serious communication issues.

cgy2london
09-29-2015, 12:26 PM

Full quote.

Brent Wallace @tsn_wally

Brent Wallace @tsn_wally

Good. They drafted him. They have a plan for him and they have the right to see that plan out. This isn't a free agent, this isn't a veteran that doesn't want to take a demotion.

This is a 7th round kid who has yet to play a game in the NHL. If he plans on ever playing he should learn to follow the chain of command. He has absolutely no right to say he would rather play in Sweden rather the NA.

Poe969
09-29-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm guessing you didn't read the whole thread....the kid went back home because a family member was sick or something like that.

dino7c
09-29-2015, 12:37 PM
I'm guessing you didn't read the whole thread....the kid went back home because a family member was sick or something like that.

you seem to be an expert on the facts

Poe969
09-29-2015, 12:42 PM
MEOW! I'm just going by what's been reported. But yes, I'm a very factual guy.

lazypucker
09-29-2015, 03:53 PM
I am going to venture a guess here about the situation:

So a foreign worker signed a contract to work in Canada - fine

Now he is asking for compassion leave to go back home to attend to a sick relative - fine

But he is also asking for permission to work for ANOTHER employer back home while on leave - that's where the problem lies.

I side with Murray on this case.

Fredrik
11-19-2015, 09:38 AM
Don´t know if this has been reported in Canadian media, but as it turns out, Wikstrands brother has leukemia.
In an interview with Värmländska Folkbladet late October, Wikstrand commented on the incident:
"It was really bad of me (not contacting Murray before leaving). I am horrible sad that I didn´t do it. I should have brought it up in a better way, telling them why I wanted to play at home. But I am a guy who holds things for myself, keep it in the family. My agent didn´t know about it either".

Later, he called both Daniel Alfredsson and Murray, and told them what had happened, and that he wanted to come back. However, Murray has answered him that he only will be welcomed to Binghamton... And that is somewhere Wikstrand apparently doesn´t want to play...

At the same time I can understand he wants to be near his brother at first, I find it hard to swallow that he wants to skip ahead and play in the NHL directly, however good he is.

Fredrik
01-20-2016, 02:13 PM
Just saw an interview with Wikstrand on Färjestads web site. During the interview, a somewhat familiar face steps in and tell him that Ottawa and Färjestad has agreed to let him play in SHL.

http://www.farjestadbk.se/artikel/76071/

(swedish)