PDA

View Full Version : [GDT] Flames @ Avs - 7PM (MDT)

jg13
09-24-2015, 07:50 AM
No video stream available. Game will be live tweeted by @NHLFlames

Calgary Lines

Ferland-Stajan-Jones;
Raymond-Bennett-Jooris;
Elson-Granlund-Poirier;
Colborne-Shore-Bollig

Wilson-Andersson;
Kulak-Nakladal;
Sieloff-Kanzig;
Morrison-Stevenson

Ortio

Colorado has yet to announce their entire line up but Roy spoke about a few players that will be on the ice tonight.

Martinsen-Grigorenko-Mackinnon
Mitchell - Duchene - Skille

Reto Berra will start.

AC
09-24-2015, 07:53 AM
The game in Denver will not be broadcast but CalgaryFlames.com will have pre-game coverage, highlights, and post-game reaction from the Pepsi Center. @NHLFlames will also be live-tweeting the game.

Flames_F.T.W
09-24-2015, 08:09 AM
It still baffles me that they don't broadcast some games, even if it's only the preseason. Why not allow the Flames to send a tv crew, like the ones responsible for the Penticton tournament?

sureLoss
09-24-2015, 08:14 AM
Also for those wondering Roy said that 2015 Avs frist rounder Mikko Rantanen would not be playing tonight.

getbak
09-24-2015, 08:23 AM
I believe the Penticton tournament was done by the Canucks crew, or at least a combination of all four teams that were there.

The odd thing is that the Pepsi Center has one of those new giant replay screens, so they're obviously going to have to do some sort of "broadcast" just for that. I don't understand why they can't set that up to stream with the radio announcers (assuming it's being broadcast on the radio down there). From the highlights I saw, I believe that's what was done for the streams of Monday's Flames and Oilers games.

I assume it probably has more to do with the Avs wanting to sell tickets to the game. If you look, there are some big blocks of tickets still available for tonight. If the Avs aren't going to make the feed available, there's not much the Flames can do to force them.

The good news is that this should be the only game of the season that isn't available anywhere. The Canucks preseason games are both on Sportsnet, and the Jets games are on TSN (which should be on Centre Ice if the TSN feed is blacked out in Calgary). The Flames should stream the Colorado game on Tuesday.

FBI
09-24-2015, 08:27 AM
So first we get crap stream, then we get no stream.
So freakin lame. Dinner with the wifey instead I guess.

corporatejay
09-24-2015, 08:29 AM
It's 2015. This is ####ing embarrassing. "Live tweeting".

JohnnyT
09-24-2015, 09:35 AM
It's 2015. This is ####ing embarrassing. "Live tweeting".

Follow along with your boxscore at home tonight!

FiveSeven
09-24-2015, 10:09 AM
Wow, someone with a stand and an iPhone could stream well enough to compete with the stream we got last time.

Tacopuck
09-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Do we have any CP'ers going to the game with a huge phone battery and a Periscope account?

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 10:31 AM
Apparently the Denver Radio Station KRWZ 960 AM/HD will be streaming the PBP.

But of course you need an american proxy to even listen to the god damn radio.

FBI
09-24-2015, 10:34 AM
How are we supposed to get mad at who they cut when we don't even get to see the players in action?

northcrunk
09-24-2015, 10:34 AM
WOW is this 1990? They can't stream the game or put it on T.V but they are going to "live stream" it? What a god damn joke.

getbak
09-24-2015, 10:36 AM
Apparently the Denver Radio Station KRWZ 960 AM/HD will be streaming the PBP.

But of course you need an american proxy to even listen to the god damn radio.

It will be on Calgary radio.

Street Pharmacist
09-24-2015, 10:42 AM
It's preseason people. There's likely not much of an audience

northcrunk
09-24-2015, 10:48 AM
Can we start a "Sportsnet is no good" thread?

polak
09-24-2015, 10:50 AM
It's hard to give away preseason tickets. I'm not surprised they're not sending a crew to broadcast the game properly.

Lame that they're not streaming the jumbotron feed though.

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 11:00 AM
It will be on Calgary radio.

Doh, you're right, it's on the Fan tonight. I just assumed this was a conspiracy by the Avs to keep Calgarians from accessing the game.

FBI
09-24-2015, 11:01 AM
Usually CP saves the day, so hopefully DenverFlame or somebody will step up with some jumbotron highlights etc

GioforPM
09-24-2015, 11:03 AM
No streaming is better than the crap streaming from the other night.

buyakasha
09-24-2015, 11:03 AM
The you better bring your A game or you're cut line up

Samiz
09-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Any chance the Colorado broadcast team picks this up? I agree that it's not a huge deal since it's preseason but it's still kind of ridiculous that some games have coverage and some don't

Huntingwhale
09-24-2015, 11:25 AM
That sucks about it not being broadcast. So much for eating tacos and watching the Flames play.

AC
09-24-2015, 11:38 AM
Any chance the Colorado broadcast team picks this up? I agree that it's not a huge deal since it's preseason but it's still kind of ridiculous that some games have coverage and some don't

No their website says they aren't streaming it either.

Loudog
09-24-2015, 11:40 AM
I was going to say, "Can't wait to watch how Wilsson plays together tonight."

But I guess I have to wait on the edge of my seat for tweets to tell me...

DenverFlame
09-24-2015, 12:00 PM
Usually CP saves the day, so hopefully DenverFlame or somebody will step up with some jumbotron highlights etc

Unfortunately, due to stupid work obligations, I won't be making it to the game tonight. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Street Pharmacist
09-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Unfortunately, due to stupid work obligations, I won't be making it to the game tonight. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
You need priorities sir.

gilligans_off
09-24-2015, 12:06 PM
At least we don't have blackouts during the regular season anymore.

Erick Estrada
09-24-2015, 12:11 PM
This is probably an important start for Ortio. I get the feeling the Flames are willing to roll the dice and put him through waivers if he doesn't have a good preseason showing.

SportsJunky
09-24-2015, 12:11 PM
I just heard Sample00 on NHL radio raving about Ferland's physicality in the playoffs last year. He made great points. Then, the very next caller was named Chad and he made some great points about Emile Poirier. Flames talk on the airwaves, I loved it.

Finger Cookin
09-24-2015, 12:17 PM
Eh, not too worried about no broadcast for a preseason game.

puckedoff
09-24-2015, 12:27 PM
I prefer my games livetweeted anyways, that's how I follow along during the regular season and playoffs.

redmile04
09-24-2015, 12:36 PM
Probably in the minority based on the posts but could care less about a preseason game being broadcasted especially on a TNF NFL night and I watch all 82 games, both on TV and live tweeting lol.

On a positive note for those that are upset, next 2 games are on TV!

Crumpy-Gunt
09-24-2015, 12:36 PM
This is probably an important start for Ortio. I get the feeling the Flames are willing to roll the dice and put him through waivers if he doesn't have a good preseason showing.

Even If ortio gives up 5 goals in each of his next pre season games, we won't be exposing him to waivers.

Poe969
09-24-2015, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't be too sure. If BT can't find a taker for Hiller and the Flames are "stuck" with him they'll have to move down Ortio. It isn't the most desirable situation but it is possible. At the beginning of the season, aren't a lot of pretty decent prospects put on waivers but make it through because most teams can't really take any more contracts or something like that?

calumniate
09-24-2015, 01:30 PM
Ben 'two way' street expected to play:
John Mitchell (http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8470750)—Matt Duchene (http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475168)—Jack Skille
Andreas Martinsen (http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8478561)—Mikhail Grigorenko (http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8476888)—Nathan MacKinnon
Andrew Agozzino (http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475461)—Ben Street (http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8476043)—Borna Rendulic
Cody McLeod (http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471657)—Marc-Andre Cliche (http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471718)—Patrick Bordeleau (http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471326)
Francois Beauchemin (http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8467400)—Erik Johnson
Chris Bigras (http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8477453)—Brad Stuart
Nick Holden (http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474207)—Zach Redmond
Duncan Siemens (http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8476464)—Mat Clark (http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475162)
Reto Berra
Calvin Pickard (http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475717)

http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=780395

MissTeeks
09-24-2015, 01:30 PM
Lineups:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/24/2ef00a7cdd61d426c9d52e30e20ed952.jpg

icarus
09-24-2015, 01:39 PM
I wonder if number #24 on the Avs roster is, you know, going to get pucks in deep and give it 110% and leave it all on the ice and try to get a big two points.

GioforPM
09-24-2015, 02:14 PM
They list Jooris, Colborne, Granlund as Cs despite where they played most of last year. I bet the Cs will be only Stajan, Bennett, Shore and maybe Granlund. Apparently the Flames will only have Jones on RW, too.

I'd like to see how Bennett/Poirier or Bennett/Colborne work.

Finger Cookin
09-24-2015, 02:15 PM
Wasn't Granlund a C most of this time here last year?

Bandwagon In Flames
09-24-2015, 02:27 PM
I prefer my games livetweeted anyways, that's how I follow along during the regular season and playoffs.

Was this meant to be sarcastic?

How could you consider yourself a hockey fan if you don't even watch the playoffs?

Agreed I'm not bent out of shape over no live stream for the game, but I am a bit disappointed that every other Canadian franchise has more video coverage than 'Flames TV'. Even Winnipeg has a program aired on TSN (or Sportsnet, I forget).

Erick Estrada
09-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Even If ortio gives up 5 goals in each of his next pre season games, we won't be exposing him to waivers.

I tend to agree but then again I'm not so sure they may be looking around the league to see if teams are secure with their situations to the point they can sneak him down. Markstrom is a bigger name than Ortio and he passed through waivers last year and we don't really know just how highly the rest of the league thinks Ortio.

Hartley isn't going to slot him ahead of Hiller and Ramo unless in his eyes he's been better so if that doesn't happen what do you do with him as they were discussing on 960 this morning that they don't want to carry three goaltenders. Something has to give here and I don't know what the market is going to be early in the season to trade one of Hiller or Ramo. I really like everything that Treliving has done but signing Ramo in the offseason is a bit of a head scratcher.

FBI
09-24-2015, 02:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that was sarcastic lol.. Nobody watches playoffs via tweets.

GioforPM
09-24-2015, 02:46 PM
Wasn't Granlund a C most of this time here last year?

Beginning of the year yes, esp. when Stajan was out. But not after he was sent down and recalled IIRC.

He's not a great centre IMO - especially in the dot. He's a better winger. Ditto Jooris and Colborne.

XeO
09-24-2015, 03:03 PM
Who do you guys think should be on left wing for our second line when we have a regular line up.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
????? - Bennett - Frolik

Coach
09-24-2015, 03:07 PM
Okposo

Finger Cookin
09-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Who do you guys think should be on left wing for our second line when we have a regular line up.

????? - Bennett - Frolik

Bennett shouldn't be on the second line when we have a regular line up.

YYC in LAX
09-24-2015, 03:11 PM
^^ Ferrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

GioforPM
09-24-2015, 03:13 PM
Bennett shouldn't be on the second line when we have a regular line up.

I think we will have a 2A for scoring (Bennett) and a 2(b) for defence (Backlund).

It might look like:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Colborne[dunno if he can do LW]-Bennett-Jones
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland/Raymond/Byron-Stajan-Bollig/Jooris/Shore/Granlund

D as in David
09-24-2015, 03:26 PM

????? - Bennett - Frolik

Irrelevant.

killer_carlson
09-24-2015, 03:34 PM
for what it is worth, I listened to many games on the radio last year. It took a while to develop some chemistry (and thanks to extreme patience shown by Loubardias), but they were a pretty good tandem by the end of the year.

Try it on radio tonight, for old times sake.

polak
09-24-2015, 03:46 PM

????? - Bennett - Frolik

We were hoping Porier could step in there and make some noise...

That doesn't look like it's going to happen.

greentree
09-24-2015, 03:49 PM
That's a dog's breakfast Flames lineup in Denver, but makes some sense given the loopy three preseason games in three consecutive nights.

I'll be listening for a big game for Ortio, for sure, but it's Granlund who really needs to step it up and right away, imho. I don't think he's an NHL regular, he looks really small and plays sorta tiny, and doesn't do anything especially well. But he's been in the system awhile and gets his opportunities to play, so...maybe he fits somehow.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him packaged with a "regular" like Raymond, for picks. Wouldn't break my heart.
Poirier has been mediocre at best, even disappointing, but he should be granted more time.

robbie111
09-24-2015, 04:33 PM
That's a dog's breakfast Flames lineup in Denver, but makes some sense given the loopy three preseason games in three consecutive nights.

I'll be listening for a big game for Ortio, for sure, but it's Granlund who really needs to step it up and right away, imho. I don't think he's an NHL regular, he looks really small and plays sorta tiny, and doesn't do anything especially well. But he's been in the system awhile and gets his opportunities to play, so...maybe he fits somehow.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him packaged with a "regular" like Raymond, for picks. Wouldn't break my heart.
Poirier has been mediocre at best, even disappointing, but he should be granted more time.

Well Granlund was the best Flame against Connor and the boys in Edmonton, but I agree he needs to show something to make the team as he can still be sent down without waivers.

I'd like to see him on the wing for a couple of games because as a center he loses the draw and is chasing the puck for the rest of the shift. At wing he could use his wicked shot more. Guy has one of the best shots on the team but you can't use it if you are always chasing the puck. Wing is where he should be.

polak
09-24-2015, 04:37 PM
You know Granlund is definitely looking to make the big team this year. He's been playing like it from the sounds of it.

Yeah. Porier. ugh.

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 04:55 PM
I wonder if people remember Poirier doesn't even turn 21 til December. Most guys from his draft class who didn't jump straight to NHL are just now hoping to start their pro careers.. like Klimchuk and Kanzig.

PugnaciousIntern
09-24-2015, 04:59 PM

Wasn't this where we got the Ferland goal highlights last year? I thought he scored 2 that night, and we had those Jumbo highlights. That was awesome to see.

09-24-2015, 04:59 PM
I wonder if people remember Poirier doesn't even turn 21 til December. Most guys from his draft class who didn't jump straight to NHL are just now hoping to start their pro careers.. like Klimchuk and Kanzig.

Well he better make it before Shinkaruk does or we'll never hear the end of it!

There is so much at stake here ;)

foshizzle11
09-24-2015, 05:37 PM
haha, ya, I think we can be patient with Poirier and I still think he will be better than Shinkaruk. Looking at the Canucks roster, he might just be competing with Sven and his position in the top 6, but it sounds like they are just giving Sven that spot.

Radio for me tonight, just like old times!

saillias
09-24-2015, 06:18 PM
There is no reason to be worried about Poirier. He proved himself an elite AHL player in his rookie season. He's outperformed Shinkaruk by a mile and had a better season than Mantha, a guy who blew his numbers away in the Q, and was considered a better prospect. A 22nd overall pick, progressing the way he has, is very good. The Flames org has done a lot worse than Poirier with its 1st rounders that's for sure.

PugnaciousIntern
09-24-2015, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I'm still quite high on Poirier, it was clear when he was drafted that he needed some farming to round out and refine his game. By the end of last year he looked like a real pro player, compared with what we initially drafted. I think he has all those tools in place and a good defensive awareness, that his focus this year can just be on playing to his strengths. He and Bennett bring a lot of similar elements, it would be amazing if they both develop like they should

cannon7
09-24-2015, 07:06 PM
Klimchuk-Bennett-Poirier is a line I'd like to see.

Tbull8
09-24-2015, 07:08 PM
Klimchuk-Bennett-Poirier is a line I'd like to see.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland to fill out the top 6

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Game started. MacKinnon/Duchene/Johnson/Beauchemin all in the game -_-

Caged Great
09-24-2015, 07:10 PM
Developing prospects is rarely a linear process. Every guy usually goes through ups and downs before figuring it out (if they do). Poirier is struggling to learn how to create points at the NHL level. That's typical for players picked in the latter half of the first round at this stage of their development. Backlund didn't stick in the NHL until the 4th year after he was drafted, this is Poirier's 3rd. Even then it took Backlund another two years to become good at the NHL level. For comparison that would be the 2018-19 season in Poirier's case. Plenty of time.

Not everyone is Monahan and Gaudreau who are awesome right off the bat. I wouldn't be shocked if Bennett struggled a bit this year just because that's the more typical thing.

MarkGio
09-24-2015, 07:11 PM
Is there an email address where I can send an angry letter regarding this lack of broadcast!?

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 07:11 PM
- Bennett with a "beautiful back check"
- Shore wins a faceoff, playing at home in Colorado.
- Morrison picks up a holding penalty, Avs to the PP

FBI
09-24-2015, 07:14 PM
The only concerning thing about poirier is he is super speedy in all his ahl and junior highlights and we haven't seen the speed yet at NHL. Not sure why, maybe because he doesn't have the puck much yet?

getbak
09-24-2015, 07:15 PM
Is there an email address where I can send an angry letter regarding this lack of broadcast!?

jsakic@coloradoavalanche.com -- Probably.

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 07:15 PM
-Nakladal on the PK, sounds like he's pretty good.
-Raymond also on the PK, doesn't sound like he fell down yet.
-Kulak also on the PK, "good stick / good job closing the gap (on Erik Johnson?)"
-Another good clear
-Ortio apparently made a crazy save
-Hartley also has Turner the Burner also out on the PK
-Penalty killed

btimbit
09-24-2015, 07:18 PM
Refreshing the boxscore every few minutes sure is exciting. Why watch a game when you can do this.

hockey.modern
09-24-2015, 07:18 PM
Sounds like Colborne is using his size to his advantage

Cali Panthers Fan
09-24-2015, 07:19 PM
Refreshing the boxscore every few minutes sure is exciting. Why watch a game when you can do this.

There is a thing called radio.

saXon
09-24-2015, 07:19 PM
For those that are interested, the game is being streamed live via the radio on the Fan 960

http://player.sportsnet960.ca/

http://www.surfmusic.de/radio-station/cfac-the-fan-960-am,15276.html

JurassicTunga12
09-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Sounds like Ferland is bulldozing his way around.

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 07:23 PM
Flame on the PP now?
Avs SH 2-on-1 --> Kulak with a Russell-esque block-save! Can we just hand him a roster spot?
Colborne almost scores on Ortio? wat?
Nakladal to Morrison. Two right shots on the point eh. Interesting.
Colborne creating a good chance on Colorado's top pairing, Berra makes a good save.
Avs kill the PP =/

Ferland/Stajan/Jones lines seem to have created some offensive chances and zone time. Crazy to think this could legitimately be our 4th line next year.

btimbit
09-24-2015, 07:23 PM
There is a thing called radio.

Oh joy, how exciting.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/LVIbmaUwpRJ1C/200_s.gif

(Just being a sarcastic dink, thought they weren't doing a radio broadcast either. Thanks.)

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 07:27 PM
Two icings already in this game. Some things never change :D

polak
09-24-2015, 07:28 PM
Oh joy, how exciting.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/LVIbmaUwpRJ1C/200_s.gif

(Just being a sarcastic dink, thought they weren't doing a radio broadcast either. Thanks.)

Jesus, Clarkson looks so young!

AC
09-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Judge Jooris!

sureLoss
Jooris!

hockey.modern
Jooris!

dammage79
Rasmus Andersson being mentioned a fair bit on the radio. And Jooris scores. EDIT: And surprise surprise, Andersson get the apple.

btimbit
09-24-2015, 07:30 PM
Atta boy Jooris

GranteedEV
Andersson to Jooris!!!!!!!!!

sureLoss
Assist to Andersson.

jg13
Sounds like Andersson is playing very well

JurassicTunga12
Jooris!

Sounds like Andersson is seriously impressing.

saXon
Sounds like our blue line driving the play and setting up chances and the Jooris goal. Good to hear.

btimbit
Jooris switched to #16? Neat! When did that happen? I like it

getbak
09-24-2015, 07:31 PM

This summer, when they announced all the new numbers.

dammage79
09-24-2015, 07:31 PM

Was announced with the Bollig and Bennett changes.

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 07:32 PM
Baby Flames Hemming Adults Avs in

btimbit
09-24-2015, 07:32 PM
This summer, when they announced all the new numbers.

I must have missed/forgot about that one. Thanks guys

getbak
09-24-2015, 07:33 PM
Baby Flames Hemming Adults Avs in

Unsustainable!!!

Rick M.
09-24-2015, 07:34 PM
Sounds like Jooris' wrist is fine.

btimbit
09-24-2015, 07:35 PM
Sounds like Ortio doing well

foshizzle11
09-24-2015, 07:36 PM
Sounds like Jooris gained a bunch of muscle too training with Gio this summer, something like 13 more pounds. I wonder how much that will aid him in the corners this season? I think he might just have a great season. Bouma 2.0??

sureLoss
09-24-2015, 07:37 PM
Kristen Odland @KristenOdlandCH
If you're wondering how Ortio is doing (& you're not listening to this pre-season masterpiece), the #Flames G is giving up massive rebounds.

foshizzle11
09-24-2015, 07:39 PM
^^Interesting. I wish we could watch!!

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 07:39 PM
Ortio just robbed MacKinnon on a wraparound.

sureLoss
09-24-2015, 07:40 PM
Ortio robs MacKinnon on the wraparound

442scotty
09-24-2015, 07:40 PM
And now the radio broadcast is breaking up at lot... arg

dammage79
09-24-2015, 07:41 PM
Ortio is sounding like he is doing great. Despite the tweet above.

btimbit
Kristen Odland @KristenOdlandCH
If you're wondering how Ortio is doing (& you're not listening to this pre-season masterpiece), the #Flames G is giving up massive rebounds.

Hmm,. neat. Good to know.

Sounds like he just robbed MacKinnon though:D

FBI
Good rebounds or bad rebounds?

Komskies
09-24-2015, 07:42 PM
I must have missed/forgot about that one. Thanks guys

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/flames/images/upload/2015/07/New_Jersey_Numbers_1516.jpg

thymebalm
09-24-2015, 07:43 PM
Yea... Ortio isn't bringing the kind of game he needs to if he wants to bump Hiller from the big club.

neo45
09-24-2015, 07:44 PM
Hartley likes Nakladal. About to play his second straight game with 20+ minutes. Might even get to 23 minutes tonight

CalgaryFan1988
09-24-2015, 07:45 PM
Yea... Ortio isn't bringing the kind of game he needs to if he wants to bump Hiller from the big club.

Hiller has always had terrible rebound control.

AC
09-24-2015, 07:45 PM

Sounds like he's standing on his head.

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 07:46 PM

--> Hasn't let in a goal, including at least two Grade A++ chances
--> not good enough.

I know there are rebounds but unless we see how our defensemen are defending the play we can't judge.

tvp2003
Jooris put on 13 pounds? Geez... it's not like he was a stick before. Really excited to see what he can bring in year 2 playing with a healthy wrist...

thymebalm
Hiller has always had terrible rebound control.

Hiller might not have great rebound control, but I don't see how Ortio not having great rebound control helps him usurp Hiller.

btimbit
That's why I wish we could watch this one. Radio guys making it sound like Ortio is doing great, but then there's some comments around the web that say he's looked shaky and just lucky. Big rebounds.... where are they going? How's the D coverage?

Scoutski
http://1.cdn.nhle.com/flames/images/upload/2015/07/New_Jersey_Numbers_1516.jpg

I am such an idiot, my first thought here was "how did someone get New Jersey and Calgary confused...?"

thymebalm
09-24-2015, 07:48 PM
--> Hasn't let in a goal, including at least two Grade A++ chances
--> not good enough.

I know there are rebounds but unless we see how our defensemen are defending the play we can't judge.

I'm referring to the whole body of work since training camp started. Rebound control and poor decisions tonight have some weight, but not all. It's true that unless he's awesome, he's not good enough. We have two bonafide NHL goalies. If you can't be better than them, you aren't good enough.

CalgaryFan1988
09-24-2015, 07:49 PM
Hiller might not have great rebound control, but I don't see how Ortio not having great rebound control helps him usurp Hiller.

What I mean is that Ortio usually has great rebound control, if he's fighting it tonight it's an anomaly.

Hiller has always had terrible rebound control....... It's his biggest weakness IMO

Samiz
09-24-2015, 07:50 PM
Really excited about seeing what kind of potential Andersson can have over the next few years. So far he looks like a very solid pick for 53rd overall

FBI
09-24-2015, 07:51 PM
I REALLY REALLY want Ortio to be deserving of usurping Hiller. Sooo much better from our rebuild/future point of view.

Caged Great
09-24-2015, 07:52 PM
Even if it's close, Ortio should win the job. Keeping a 24 year old that is under control for a number of years simply makes more sense than keeping a 29 or 33 year old with 1 year left.

thymebalm
09-24-2015, 07:52 PM
What I mean is that Ortio usually has great rebound control, if he's fighting it tonight it's an anomaly.

Hiller has always had terrible rebound control....... It's his biggest weakness IMO

Hiller three weaknesses

1) Early goals against
2) Going down too early
3) Rebounds

thymebalm
09-24-2015, 07:53 PM
Even if it's close, Ortio should win the job. Keeping a 24 year old that is under control for a number of years simply makes more sense than keeping a 29 or 33 year old with 1 year left.

Age is pretty insignificant, especially with goalies.

It's a results based team and a results based league. Gonna have to earn it.

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 07:55 PM
I'm referring to the whole body of work since training camp started. Rebound control and poor decisions tonight have some weight, but not all. It's true that unless he's awesome, he's not good enough. We have two bonafide NHL goalies. If you can't be better than them, you aren't good enough.

Nothing that's happened so far has suggested he hasn't been at least as good as them. Ramo let in a super-soft goal in Edmonton, Hiller let in a squeaker (on multiple chances at that) in Calgary, and so far Ortio's only goal allowed in preseason was a cross-ice 2-on-1 between two first line NHL forwards.

From Caged Great's comments, after a meh first day Ortio was better than Hiller in the later days of practice, too.

Strange Brew
09-24-2015, 07:56 PM

I understand the sentiment but "close" based on what? Two pre season games? Practice?

chedder
09-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Isn't all tweeting live!?

dammage79
09-24-2015, 07:58 PM
It is ridiculous how matter of factly Hiller is the ousted goalie of the group. Ramo is not the better goalie, never has been, probably won't be.

thymebalm
09-24-2015, 07:59 PM
Nothing that's happened so far has suggested he hasn't been at least as good as them. Ramo let in a super-soft goal in Edmonton, Hiller let in a squeaker in Calgary, and unless Ortio's only goal allowed in preseason was a cross-ice 2-on-1 between two first line NHL forwards.

He doesn't look or sound (tonight) as composed as Ramo and Hiller. If I was coach, I wouldn't be putting him in net if I wanted to win. I don't think Hartley would put him in net either.

He's a great young goalie, and an AHL all-star. But it doesn't look like he's won a spot from here yet.

I could be wrong.

Caged Great
09-24-2015, 07:59 PM
I understand the sentiment but "close" based on what? Two pre season games? Practice?

If they are both looking like good backups/decent starters in both practices and games, then go with the young guy because his ceiling isn't known. Hiller is what he is.

thymebalm
09-24-2015, 08:00 PM
Isn't all tweeting live!?

http://1.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/50/27/0d41808f60af8871fa122b3b0f37ab1b.gif

thymebalm
09-24-2015, 08:02 PM
Has Rasmus Andersson been the best tryout? Nakladal? Wilson? Kylington?

JurassicTunga12
09-24-2015, 08:02 PM
Kulak makes another good recovery.

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 08:03 PM
I Like Brett Kulak

btimbit
09-24-2015, 08:03 PM
Kulak and Andersson really sound like they're impressing

thymebalm
09-24-2015, 08:04 PM
I thought of Kulak as soon as I posted. He is another one right in that group doing a lot of things right.

GranteedEV
He doesn't look or sound (tonight) as composed as Ramo and Hiller.

It hasn't sounded that way to me. It's sounded like he's been as good as you can expect him to be with our top 5 defensemen and top line and top shutdown line not playing against an Avs team with some of its regular top 6 F / top 4 D playing.

dammage79
Has Rasmus Andersson been the best tryout? Nakladal? Wilson? Kylington?

Andersson I feel is ahead by a nose. Then Nakladal, then Wilson then Kylington. But it is close. Very competitive grouping. Kulak gets an HM.

thymebalm
09-24-2015, 08:05 PM
It hasn't sounded that way to me. It's sounded like he's been as good as you can expect him to be with our top 5 defensemen and top line and top shutdown line not playing against an Avs team with some of its regular top 6 F / top 4 D playing.

He can't be doing that bad. it's 1-0 Flames.

thymebalm
09-24-2015, 08:06 PM
Ortio bobbles and gobbles. Is he a turkey Derek Willis?

puckedoff
09-24-2015, 08:06 PM
Hey guys.

Whats the score

thanks
deano

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 08:07 PM
Cut Raymond

Drak
LOL Raymond.

Caged Great
Seems like Raymond is having a typical game from him again. Odds of him remaining on the roster is quickly dwindling.

btimbit
09-24-2015, 08:08 PM
Well, he didn't fall down.....

dammage79
09-24-2015, 08:08 PM
Hey guys.

Whats the score

thanks
deano

1-0 for the good guys. Scored by Jooris, assisted by Rasmus Andersson.

Lanny'sDaMan
09-24-2015, 08:09 PM
Seems like Raymond is having a typical game from him again. Odds of him remaining on the roster is quickly dwindling.

And it can't happen soon enough. I would bet HUGE dollars he would pass waivers too.

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 08:12 PM
"Joni Ortio has been solid and at times better than solid turning aside 15 shots" - Loubardias

StAlbertFlame
09-24-2015, 08:13 PM
You know, I like Derek Wills & Peter Loubardias; but I still miss Peter Mahar

Cali Panthers Fan
09-24-2015, 08:14 PM
Does Colorado have someone on their team named Aggozino or something? I keep getting confused hearing his name shooting on Ortio...thinking it's Agostino. Really driving me nuts.

Drak
09-24-2015, 08:14 PM
Does Colorado have someone on their team named Aggozino or something? I keep getting confused hearing his name shooting on Ortio...thinking it's Agostino. Really driving me nuts.

Ditto.

btimbit
09-24-2015, 08:15 PM

Yeah, Redmond has confused me a few times too

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Flames PP

Kulak-Andersson
Ferland-Bennett-Colborne

Already great chances.

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Loubardias is REALLY impressed by Nakladal's shot.

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 08:18 PM

That threw me off the first few times too.

I just checked Colorado's HFboards training camp thread:

#28 Andrew Agozzino, lW

Also from there:

Tired of hearing the name Ortio.

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 08:21 PM
Kulak with a bad turnover on an outlet, Jooris blocks the shot and saves a goal. That probably hurt Kulak's chances to make the big team, he had a similar turnover VS Winnipeg last year.

thymebalm
09-24-2015, 08:22 PM
I think this may be the biggest game of Ortio's career.

I know he's played in bigger hockey games, one's that helped the Flames make the playoffs. I was there in Vancouver when he shutout the Canucks in his first game of the season last year (it was awesome.)

But for him in his career, the results of this game could mean a lot.

Caged Great
09-24-2015, 08:23 PM
Raymond with a penalty. That's not going to help.

Lanny'sDaMan
And Raymond further proving he should spend some time in the A. Dumb, dumb penalty to be taking.

btimbit
Raymond not helping his case.

AC
09-24-2015, 08:24 PM
Ortio has been "rock solid tonight" as per Derek.

thymebalm
09-24-2015, 08:24 PM
Raymond not helping his case.

He's helping mine.

dammage79
09-24-2015, 08:25 PM
18 saves ( 0 goals allowed) through a period and a half? That's solid no matter which way you cut it.

Pierre "Monster" McGuire
09-24-2015, 08:26 PM
Kulak with a bad turnover on an outlet, Jooris blocks the shot and saves a goal. That probably hurt Kulak's chances to make the big team, he had a similar turnover VS Winnipeg last year.

I don't think it'll hurt anything. He's had WAY more smart, impressive plays than he's had mistakes in this pre-season and rookie tournament.

And there's no way a turnover in a meaningless last game of the year is at the forefront of the coaches and general managers' mind.

dammage79
09-24-2015, 08:27 PM
Andersson is really making some noise for a roster spot in the NHL. If he keeps this up. Wow.

btimbit
09-24-2015, 08:29 PM
Andersson is really making some noise for a roster spot in the NHL. If he keeps this up. Wow.

Sure sounds like he'd be a difficult cut to make, that's for sure.

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 08:30 PM
One name I haven't heard a whole lot tonight has been Morrison.

btimbit
09-24-2015, 08:31 PM
20th save for Ortio. That sounds pretty solid to me

AC
09-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Ortio with the save of the game as per Loubardias.

Attaboy Oreo, work your magic!

foshizzle11
09-24-2015, 08:32 PM
I think Anderson will earn his 9 games to start the season in the NHL while Brodie is recovering. I wouldn't even be mad.

GranteedEV
"Joni Ortio just made the save of the game" - Loubardias

Drak
Time to go up 2-0 on the pp.

btimbit
Wow. Nice shot that gets redirected, Ortio stops it a split second before being ran over

btimbit
09-24-2015, 08:33 PM
Also, a bit before that save, Raymond muscled Mackinnon off the puck

ScorchyScorch
09-24-2015, 08:33 PM
I vote Andersson for the 6th spot for 9 games.

neo45
09-24-2015, 08:34 PM
One name I haven't heard a whole lot tonight has been Morrison.

He has gotten a ton of ice time

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 08:34 PM
If we win this, it'll be the best win of the 2015-16 so far.

;)

thymebalm
09-24-2015, 08:35 PM
Ortio has been the best Flame through two periods, and it sounds like the Flames are both offensively and defensively outworking the Avs.

Pierre "Monster" McGuire
09-24-2015, 08:35 PM
Also, a bit before that save, Raymond muscled Mackinnon off the puck

I'm sorry, he what now?

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 08:36 PM
I'm sorry, he what now?

Really, I heard this too, and I just..

yeah.. I just didn't believe it and thouguht maybe instead of Raymond he meant..

Ferayland

or something :bag:

btimbit
09-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Really, I heard this too, and I just..

yeah.. I just didn't believe it and thouguht maybe instead of Raymond he meant..

Ferayland

or something :bag:

Maybe I heard wrong and Zach Redmond ran into his teammate? Surely that makes more sense

thymebalm
09-24-2015, 08:40 PM
Maybe I heard wrong and Zach Redmond ran into his teammate? Surely that makes more sense

If Mason Raymond isn't scoring goals... is he worth keeping on the roster to play defence?

FBI
09-24-2015, 08:40 PM
Sounds like a game that would have been fun to watch!!

Reggie Dunlop
09-24-2015, 08:41 PM
Glad to hear Andersson having a strong camp. Hopefully he can parlay that momentum into a lights-out CHL campaign.

btimbit
09-24-2015, 08:42 PM
If Mason Raymond isn't scoring goals... is he worth keeping on the roster to play defence?

Brodie injury suddenly worries me much less

hockey.modern
09-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Sorry if posted but here's the gif for Jooris's goal.

https://media.giphy.com/media/7scCYNWRHUwKc/giphy.gif

dammage79
09-24-2015, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the laugh.

hockey.modern
09-24-2015, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the laugh.

No problem, pretty funny way to score a goal if you ask me.

AC
09-24-2015, 08:53 PM
Uh oh, Nakladal head first into the ice?

dammage79
Ugh. Does not sound good.

ScorchyScorch
So no one has a visual on this game? I noticed a couple posters describing plays. Just passing on the radio pbp?

Ouch Nakladal.

btimbit
uh oh

hockey.modern
09-24-2015, 08:54 PM
What happened?

thymebalm
09-24-2015, 08:55 PM
What happened?

Got taken out and landed face first and didn't get up very quick.

dammage79
09-24-2015, 08:55 PM
Eww. Mitchell with a d-bag move it sounds like. Well, if its head first. Nakladal is pretty much done for camp because of concussion protocols.

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 08:57 PM
What happened?

Apparently John Mitchell pile-drived his face into the ice.

:whaa:

CroFlames
09-24-2015, 08:57 PM
I know it's a first world problem, but for PETE'S SAKE how can there not be a stream of the game on either team's website?! This is the NHL the last time I checked.

On that note, Flames TV needs to improve their A/V production in general.

CroFlames
09-24-2015, 08:58 PM
Lubo seems to be pretty enamored with Jooris.

thymebalm
09-24-2015, 09:03 PM
Ben Street is a volume shooting tweener. Great for the AHL squad, not skilled enough for NHL play I think.. Maybe not fast enough.

dammage79
09-24-2015, 09:04 PM
Shore almost with a goal.

GranteedEV
Elson /Shore line buzzing

thymebalm
13:30 left in the third. Flames retrieve the puck on an icing call. 1-0 score for the good guys.

dammage79
09-24-2015, 09:05 PM
Shots 23-20 for the Avs. EDIT: NHL.com has it 24-22 for the Avs.

JetsFlamesFan
09-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Apparently Drew Shore is a Denver native, can anyone confirm?

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Apparently Drew Shore is a Denver native, can anyone confirm?

Yes, they were talking about it near the beginning of the game. Shore and his brothers are from Littleton, Colorado. Shore also played his college hockey for U of Denver. He probably grew up a fan of those Forsberg teams, you see a bit of the Forsberg flash in his game.

CroFlames
09-24-2015, 09:07 PM
Ben Street is a volume shooting tweener. Great for the AHL squad, not skilled enough for NHL play I think.. Maybe not fast enough.

In his limited callups, he looked out of place to me. Couldn't quite tell if it was slow skating or just plain old bad positioning. I don't think he could think the NHL game fast enough.

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 09:08 PM
Another "terrific" stop by Ortio.

Yes, let's just waive him tommorow.

dammage79
09-24-2015, 09:10 PM
Granlund being aggressive on the PK. Almost gets a break away.

hockey.modern
09-24-2015, 09:12 PM
Hartley using Andersson to succeed. so far he has.

dammage79
09-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Yup. Andersson and Ortio are the studs tonight.

AC
09-24-2015, 09:16 PM
Lets go boys, finish this with an insurance PP goal.

ScorchyScorch
Alright set up another tally, Andy.

btimbit
Seal it here

hockey.modern
09-24-2015, 09:17 PM
Do it for Nakladal

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Is Bollig out on our power play?

seriously? I get it's preseason but that's... interesting.

codynw
09-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Andersson sounds like he's trying to steal a roster spot. Having an excellent game.

dammage79
09-24-2015, 09:19 PM
Where were all these glove save when Berra was with the Flames?

btimbit
09-24-2015, 09:19 PM

Was just going to say that, sounds like he's been solid tonight

Dime_On_Flames
09-24-2015, 09:20 PM

Probably in the pre-season

Reggie Dunlop
09-24-2015, 09:20 PM
Streaming audio has cut out

hockey.modern
09-24-2015, 09:21 PM
Streaming audio has cut out

Refresh it

btimbit
09-24-2015, 09:21 PM
keeps cutting out for me too, just have to refresh

dammage79
09-24-2015, 09:22 PM
Rogers communications level of quality product they put out there is just top notch.... I love it...

EDIT: I mean what if you were actually listening to this on a radio? Tweaking the dial isn't going to bring it back.

ScorchyScorch
09-24-2015, 09:24 PM
Avs get a PP with 3 minutes left.. of course.

GranteedEV
Damn it Bollig.

thymebalm
Ha. Go figure, Bollig and Raymond with penalties this game.

btimbit
09-24-2015, 09:25 PM
Big PK

btimbit
09-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Berra pulled for extra attacker

ScorchyScorch
Ortio about to lay an oreo.

thymebalm
Ortio makes two big saves on the PK.

dammage79
PK dead but goalie is pulled. Granlund clears the puck.

AC
09-24-2015, 09:28 PM
Colby busting his ass to beat out an icing call late, attaboy!

skudr248
shut out!

dammage79
Ortio about to lay an oreo.

Oh you. Somebody gonna get hurt. I'm not going to say who, but I think you know...

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/8wclEIUOhjs/hqdefault.jpg

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 09:29 PM
Flames win ortio shutout

JurassicTunga12
Ortio with the shutout!

dammage79
Did he lay a goose-egg? Yeah Baby! Ortio with a 33 save SO.

btimbit
33 shot shutout. Ortio needed a good game and boy did he deliver

thymebalm
Incredible work by Ortio. Sounded shaky to start the game, but settled his way into a 33 save shutout. That's how you win a spot from an NHL goalie.

codynw
09-24-2015, 09:30 PM
Flames win ortio shutout

Yea, they can't waive him. No chance.

GranteedEV

Hi.

ScorchyScorch
Ball is in your court, Hiller.

btimbit
Oh man, I wanted Ortio to have a big game so badly and he delivered

You Need a Thneed
09-24-2015, 09:31 PM
Huge 2 points!

Jayems
09-24-2015, 09:31 PM