PDA

View Full Version : [Signing] Nick Schneider signs ELC

CalgaryKid
09-23-2015, 03:01 PM
@ZenonHerasymiuk: Per @MichaelDKaye, Nick Schneider has signed an ELC with the @NHLFlames #WHL

Michael Kaye appears to be his agent.

Was on a ATO at training camp and was the third goalie at Penticton(got third period of final game)

In 27 games with Medicine Hat last year he had a 2.82 GAA and .898 save percentage.

vicarious
09-23-2015, 03:02 PM
Who?

FBI
09-23-2015, 03:03 PM
one of the tryout goalies?

Scornfire
09-23-2015, 03:04 PM
really, why?

and yes, he was at the Young stars tourney

cofias
09-23-2015, 03:07 PM
Who?Tigers invite who impressed at camp(s).

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=153091

Cali Panthers Fan
09-23-2015, 03:08 PM
He showed some promise in that tournament. Was better than some of the other drafted goalies that were there.

I have a feeling there are going to be several veteran contracts on the way out the door in the near future. Gotta be near the contract limit now I would assume.

Enoch Root
09-23-2015, 03:08 PM
Flames need at least 5 goalies at the pro level:

2 for the Flames
2 for Stockton
1 for Adirondack

Adirondack isn't necessarily mandatory, but if one of the 4 were to get injured (probably a safe bet at some point in the season) they would need another goalie anyway.

btimbit
09-23-2015, 03:09 PM
Thought he looked good. Will he be in Stockton or Jr's?

Enoch Root
09-23-2015, 03:09 PM
is he playing in junior? then that doesn't help the body count

Fire of the Phoenix
09-23-2015, 03:11 PM
How are we signing this kid? He's a 97 birthday so he hasn't been passed over twice in the draft yet. Isn't this the same problem the Oilers had when they tried to sign that Russian kid last fall?

cofias
09-23-2015, 03:12 PM
He showed some promise in that tournament. Was better than some of the other drafted goalies that were there.

I have a feeling there are going to be several veteran contracts on the way out the door in the near future. Gotta be near the contract limit now I would assume.I believe non-overage CHL players do not count against the contract limit as long as they stay assigned to their major junior team.

Cali Panthers Fan
Flames need at least 5 goalies at the pro level:

2 for the Flames
2 for Stockton
1 for Adirondack

Adirondack isn't necessarily mandatory, but if one of the 4 were to get injured (probably a safe bet at some point in the season) they would need another goalie anyway.

Plus, you can count on 2 of the NHL goalies likely not being here next year (Hiller and Ramo). McDonald will likely head to Adirondack to begin his pro career next year, leaving Gillies and Schneider on the farm, while Ortio and someone else (possibly even Gillies) to man the net for the Flames. There's a clear succession plan here with lots of youth being given time to develop in the minors over a career AHLer.

CalgaryKid
Quote from agent:

@MichaelDKaye: Congrats to Nick Schneider @schneids97 on signing an entry-level contract with @NHLFlames as a free agent invite! @tigershockey @TSC_Hockey

SuperMatt18
How are we signing this kid? He's a 97 birthday so he hasn't been passed over twice in the draft yet. Isn't this the same problem the Oilers had when they tried to sign that Russian kid last fall?

Believe it was only an issue because he was determined a foreign player since he had played one game in the KHL before coming to the CHL.

Cali Panthers Fan
09-23-2015, 03:14 PM

Hmm...good point, but I'd be shocked if the Flames didn't check around first to see if it would be ok to sign him. I mean, that would be a very Oiler-esque thing to do and I doubt Treliving is even capable of being that dumb.

sureLoss
09-23-2015, 03:16 PM
It is the same "loophole" that the Kings used to sign Martin Jones as an 18 year old a few years ago.

He also can't be assigned to the AHL. It is the NHL or CHL for him.

Fire of the Phoenix
09-23-2015, 03:18 PM
Hmm...good point, but I'd be shocked if the Flames didn't check around first to see if it would be ok to sign him. I mean, that would be a very Oiler-esque thing to do and I doubt Treliving is even capable of being that dumb.
I doubt it too but I thought that was the explanation. SuperMatt might be right here, I hope so. Really don't think Treliving would make a mistake like that, but it's not every day teams are signing 18 year old UFAs so I just thought it was odd.

Super-Rye

It is the same loop hole that allowed the Kings to sign Martin Jones as an undrafted 18 year old I believe.

neo45
If they hadn't signed him now they probably would have had to use a 3rd to draft him next year, like Adin Hill who was drafted in the third round by Phoenix this year

GranteedEV
09-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Seems like the plan, and I don't know if I like it, is:

2015-16: Hiller-Ramo-Ortio-Gillies
2016-17: Ortio-Ramo-Gillies-McDonald
2017-18: Ortio-Gillies-McDonald-Schneider

Fire of the Phoenix
09-23-2015, 03:20 PM
Is that loophole just for goalies or something?

Caged Great
09-23-2015, 03:23 PM
I watched him this weekend and he was fantastic. He held his own against everyone that he practiced with and was the most impressive walk on goalie the Flames have had in the last 3 years. He did not look much worse than Kent Simpson if at all and he is 5 years younger than Simpson.

Glad the Flames inked him.

He came in and impressed. That's what you want from walk on guys. Play so well that you force the team to put pen to paper.

neo45
09-23-2015, 03:23 PM
We have to have the most right catching goalies in the league at this point

David Struch
09-23-2015, 03:24 PM
6' 2"
Catches Right
Drayton Valley, AB & Leduc, AB

“I’ve had lots of fun and learned a lot. It’s nice that I got a few periods, got to show what I can do. I think I’ve shown I can stick in here. I don’t want to be just along for the ride.”
http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/flames-notebook-schneider-works-overtime-with-goalie-sidelined

sureLoss
09-23-2015, 03:25 PM
Is that loophole just for goalies or something?

No it is technically for all players for eligible who have been passed over in at least 1 draft and are still eligible for the next one.

There are some exceptions (e.g. Tkachev)

cofias
09-23-2015, 03:26 PM
His numbers are fair for a 17 year old goalie in the dub and he's not undersized. Slightly odd that noone took a flier on him late in the draft, but good for us. Good eye by scouts inviting him to camp.

Itse
09-23-2015, 03:49 PM
As long as he earned it :)

Alberta_Beef
09-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Is that loophole just for goalies or something?We used it to sign Turner Elson when he was 18 too.

Basically if you sign an undrafted 18 year old CHL player to a tryout you have the duration of the tryout to sign the player to an ELC. If you don't sign them they go back to junior and will re-enter the following draft.

dustygoon
09-23-2015, 03:55 PM
This is one of those cases where online stats are pretty meaningless if this feller gets a contract. Yay. I know nothing about him, but keen to see what he is like.

Gaskal
09-23-2015, 04:11 PM
From what I hear he was one of the more impressive goalie tryouts, so no surprise there.

dash_pinched
09-23-2015, 04:16 PM
He should see plenty of rubber with the Tigers in the Dub as their Number 1 goalie with Marek Langhamer no longer on the scene in Medicine Hat.

mikephoen
09-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Now THIS is the correct way to get goalie prospects! No draft picks wasted!

foshizzle11
09-23-2015, 06:10 PM
Seems like the plan, and I don't know if I like it, is:

2015-16: Hiller-Ramo-Ortio-Gillies
2016-17: Ortio-Ramo-Gillies-McDonald
2017-18: Ortio-Gillies-McDonald-Schneider

Yup,
I would agree with this, if all pans out. I still think that Hiller gets dealt before the season starts. Someone will go down with injury and he will be needed.

foshizzle11
09-23-2015, 06:12 PM
Wait, why was it different for the Vladdy hockey guy last year? I thought this was the loop hole the oilers were going to use but they couldn't? something about him not playing in NA long enough maybe?

getbak
09-23-2015, 06:22 PM
Wait, why was it different for the Vladdy hockey guy last year? I thought this was the loop hole the oilers were going to use but they couldn't? something about him not playing in NA long enough maybe?
Only undrafted players who played in North America (and only in North America) the previous season are eligible to be signed between the draft and the start of the junior season. Tkachev had played 2 games in the KHL in 2013-14 before going to Moncton, so he was ineligible for this type of signing.

DoubleF
09-23-2015, 06:48 PM
Ortio
McDonald
Gilles
Schneider

OMGS, our future in goal sure looks good! :)

Reggie Dunlop
09-23-2015, 10:42 PM
Well done. Can't help but root for the unheralded long shots turning heads.

DeluxeMoustache
09-23-2015, 11:22 PM
Saw him in camp live, on the side rink at the time where they had 2 goalies isolated with Sigalet. Also in scrimmage. He really played well

Jay Random
09-23-2015, 11:35 PM
Now THIS is the correct way to get goalie prospects! No draft picks wasted!

Except, you know, that you can only get those prospects who get passed over completely in their draft year.

StAlbertFlame
09-24-2015, 12:22 AM
I watched Nick Schneider a few times last year when he was back-up for Marek Langhammer for the Medicine Hat Tigers. Definitely has some skill, not easily rattled. He only played 27 regular seasons games and 0 playoff games last season. This season he will be #1 goalie for the tigers. Will be very enjoyable watching the Tigers in 2015/16

Flames_F.T.W
09-24-2015, 07:13 AM
Low risk, high reward signing. He's so young too. I like the idea of accumulating talented young goalies in the hopes that one of them emerges as a #1

dash_pinched
09-25-2015, 12:09 PM
Not sure if Schneider will be between the pipes on Saturday night, but Shaw TV will be broadcasting the Hurricanes - Tigers game (7:30 MT)