PDA

View Full Version : [News] TJ Brodie has a broken hand - week to week

Bunk
09-23-2015, 09:33 AM
Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg 1m1 minute ago
#Flames GM Brad Treliving tells us TJ Brodie has suffered a broken bone in his hand. Surgery not needed. He's week-to-week.

Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg 2m2 minutes ago
Treliving says the recovery time for Brodie ranges between 3 and 6 weeks. Won't be able to pinpoint it precisely for a few days. #Flames

Randy Sportak ‏@SUNRandySportak 9s9 seconds ago
Brodie’s injury is to the fifth metacarpal.
#Flames.

Calgary Flames ‏@NHLFlames 3m3 minutes ago
"I'm able to stay on the ice, skate, and keep the conditioning up." - Brodie on the recovery process.

D'oh!

PepsiFree
09-23-2015, 09:34 AM
Well. There goes the "who plays with Gio" discussion.

Coach
09-23-2015, 09:35 AM
Shoot.

Well at least we can get an extra look at some bubble d-men.

SuperMatt18
09-23-2015, 09:36 AM
Ffs

Dr. Doom
09-23-2015, 09:36 AM
If there's a silver lining here it's that he doesn't shoot the puck all that often and his game doesn't rely on a blistering shot either.

Still sucks and its not an easy injury to come back from either way. Let's hope this doesn't linger for the season...

FBI
09-23-2015, 09:37 AM
wtf... lame. when did this happen?? Possibly good to go for start of season?

Tacopuck
09-23-2015, 09:38 AM
Who is responsible?!?

VENDETTA!!

Bunk
09-23-2015, 09:40 AM
So my guess for opening night

Gio-Hamilton
Russell-Wideman
Nakladal-Engelland

Cali Panthers Fan
09-23-2015, 09:41 AM
W. T. F.

*sigh*

Gaskal
09-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Noooooooooooooooo

Cali Panthers Fan
09-23-2015, 09:43 AM
So my guess for opening night

Gio-Hamilton
Russell-Wideman
Nakladal-Engelland

Or Wilson, good possibility he and Nakladal will cycle in and out of the lineup. Possibly both in and Engelland out now and then too.

GreenLantern
09-23-2015, 09:43 AM
This is why good GM's make sure they have options, and between all those D-men that have been to camp the Flames have a lot.

undercoverbrother
09-23-2015, 09:44 AM
As long as it isn't his scaphoid, I guess that is technically wrist.

Cali Panthers Fan
09-23-2015, 09:45 AM
As long as it isn't his scaphoid, I guess that is technically wrist.

Yup, those often result in avascular necrosis. Anything outside of that should heal just fine.

jaikorven
09-23-2015, 09:46 AM
Well this sucks, but shouldn't be a huge deal going forward. I agree with others that it gives more evaluation time for some of the other guys in game situations. Might be a blessing in disguise.

Moneyhands23
09-23-2015, 09:47 AM
Hmmmm. That sucks, but he shouldn't miss more than 4 or 5 games. Really let's one of the new guys get a shot at some minutes.

Toonage
09-23-2015, 09:49 AM
Hmmmm. That sucks, but he shouldn't miss more than 4 or 5 games. Really let's one of the new guys get a shot at some minutes.

Actually he could miss up to 13 games if it takes a full 6 weeks.

But hopefully it doesn't take that long.

red sky
09-23-2015, 09:49 AM
F u Stajan!

Poe969
09-23-2015, 09:51 AM
Just extends camp for someone to show they belong. If Gio and Hamilton have amazing chemistry, it'll make things even harder to decide when Brodie comes back.

Roof-Daddy
09-23-2015, 09:52 AM
Thank goodness Treliving has built the depth up. You'd think Wilson will get a contract now for sure.

Hopefully Nakladal, Wotherspoon, Morrison, Kulk, etc....step up and make this opportunity count.

wireframe
09-23-2015, 09:52 AM
I hope we see Wilson signing a contract now.

jar_e
09-23-2015, 09:54 AM
I guess we'll get to test some of this defensive depth pretty early on...hope its not a pattern for the rest of the season.

Yamer
09-23-2015, 09:55 AM
This is why you don't play scrubs like the Edmonton Oilers.

saillias
F u Stajan!

Stajan did it?

Or are we just cursing Stajan for the hell of it? Because I'm always for some Stajan scapegoating

Bunk
#Flames.

(Bone in hand connecting to pinky finger)

"I'm able to stay on the ice, skate, and keep the conditioning up." - Brodie on the recovery process.

Cali Panthers Fan
09-23-2015, 09:57 AM
#Flames.

Which hand? Top or bottom hand on the stick? It might make a big difference as to how long he'll be out.

azzarish
09-23-2015, 09:58 AM
Damn!

Seems like someone always goes down in pre-season. Hugely frustrating but what can you do.

Thankfully 2 of those 3-6 weeks are pre-season. Best case scenario is that he's back 3 weeks in to the regular season.

Big blow though, regardless of depth.

northcrunk
09-23-2015, 09:58 AM
God damn Oilers. REVENGE!

azzarish
09-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Which hand? Top or bottom hand on the stick? It might make a big difference as to how long he'll be out.

Right hand.

TSNJFranklin: Brodie injury Happened midway through the 3rd, one timer from the point and he took it on the right hand... he didn't see it coming #Flames

Huntingwhale
09-23-2015, 10:01 AM
Thanks a lot Obama, you bum.

Cali Panthers Fan
09-23-2015, 10:06 AM
Right hand.

TSNJFranklin: Brodie injury Happened midway through the 3rd, one timer from the point and he took it on the right hand... he didn't see it coming #Flames

And he's a lefty correct? Might be easier if it's his top hand, but more force goes into the 5th metacarpal on that hand than the bottom hand (more force in the 1st metacarpal on bottom hand). Either way, it shouldn't be season/performance threatening.

devo22
09-23-2015, 10:08 AM
A top defender out, another defenseman still on IR, only 5 defensemen a lock to make the team. If Wotherspoon fails to take this opportunity and run with it, I'm not sure he has a future in the Flames organization.

undercoverbrother
09-23-2015, 10:10 AM
Yup, those often result in avascular necrosis. Anything outside of that should heal just fine.

and a cast for 9 months, at least that is how long I had one.

codynw
09-23-2015, 10:11 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/suicide_booth_futurama.gif

Huntingwhale
09-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Well this sucks. But at least Brodie isn't the type of defender who depends on his shooting to be effective. His backhand though...that I'm a bit worried about. At least he can still skate with the team. But this is a chance for a young guy to take the reigns and run with it. I'm actually kind of glad this happened during training camp. Now the young guys see a spot open for the taking.

May the best man come out on top.

buyakasha
09-23-2015, 10:14 AM
I'm gunnin' for Kulak

D as in David
09-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Disappointing but it is unlikely that this is the last injury the Flames suffer during pre-season (touch wood). This is where we'll start to see the benefits of the depth that BT has put together throughout the roster.

Reggie Dunlop
09-23-2015, 10:22 AM
Time to panic.

Huntsy
09-23-2015, 10:23 AM
Wow. That is why you have PTO now. Depth so important. Wilson is the man. Just found work..

Timbo
09-23-2015, 10:26 AM
This injury is definitely the result of having an NDP government!

expatflame
09-23-2015, 10:28 AM
Wow, that really sucks. Luckily, it's still preseason so he shouldn't miss too many games.

azzarish
09-23-2015, 10:28 AM
And he's a lefty correct? Might be easier if it's his top hand, but more force goes into the 5th metacarpal on that hand than the bottom hand (more force in the 1st metacarpal on bottom hand). Either way, it shouldn't be season/performance threatening.

Yeah, he's a lefty. So the top hand would be the right hand. Not really sure if it would have been better on the left hand.

It's unfortunate, but at least it's happened now before the season has started. Hopefully he comes back in 3 weeks rather than 6.

Benched
09-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Disappointing but it is unlikely that this is the last injury the Flames suffer during pre-season (touch wood). This is where we'll start to see the benefits of the depth that BT has put together throughout the roster.

Thanks for jinking me D as in David...
http://storage.calgarysun.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297374580336_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

Reaper
09-23-2015, 10:40 AM
"So, Douglas. You like to smash people, right? How about you be our 7th defenceman/Popcorn eater? We'll throw you in occasionally in games against rougher teams simply to smash guys on the breakout. How's that sound? We'll even let you smash Canucks on opening night."

[Douglas Murray slowly and silently nods with a steely gaze; proceeds to hold a bear at arms length while hitting it on the nose with a shin pad.]

trackercowe
09-23-2015, 11:08 AM
Stupid Hamilton already bringing his bad chemistry to the room by having the competition taken out.

Locke
09-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Robyn Regehr is in town.....PTO?

polak
09-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Over under on if the Flames are ever able to ice their best line up this year?

undercoverbrother
09-23-2015, 11:13 AM

Ok calm down.

It is one injury.

bubbsy
09-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Damn that sucks.

Any idea how he got hurt?

So assuming gio, Hamilton, Russell, Wideman make up 4 of the top 6, who's in real contention for 5 and 6?

Engelland
Smid
Nakadal
Wotherspoon
Johnson or Murray

I'm hoping worherspoon or nakadal run with this sudden window of opportunity

locsofblu
09-23-2015, 11:32 AM
Seriously that's ####ing awesome. What #### luck we have sometimes.

Street Pharmacist
09-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Damn that sucks.

Any idea how he got hurt?

So assuming gio, Hamilton, Russell, Wideman make up 4 of the top 6, who's in real contention for 5 and 6?

Engelland
Smid
Nakadal
Wotherspoon
Johnson or Murray

I'm hoping worherspoon or nakadal run with this sudden window of opportunity
Ryan Wilson?

polak
09-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Ok calm down.

It is one injury.

But it's always one injury. I'm seriously wondering if there will be a single point where our entire roster is healthy. Was there ever a point last year where that was the case?

Roof-Daddy
09-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Giordano - Hamilton
Russell - Wideman
Wilson - Engelland/Nakladal

Smid & Brodie injured

Poe969
09-23-2015, 11:42 AM
That one injury may end up being a blessing in disguise. Having an open spot in the top 6 might make one of our prospects work that much harder and could give that one guy a chance to really shine. This does suck but our top 4 is still pretty awesome and we have a lot of guys that can fill in the bottom pair. This team/franchise seems to thrive when faced with adversity. Let's hope this motivates them even more.

ScorchyScorch
09-23-2015, 11:45 AM
Are you kidding me?

At least he'll be playing in October at some point.

JayP
09-23-2015, 11:51 AM
That one injury may end up being a blessing in disguise. Having an open spot in the top 6 might make one of our prospects work that much harder and could give that one guy a chance to really shine. This does suck but our top 4 is still pretty awesome and we have a lot of guys that can fill in the bottom pair. This team/franchise seems to thrive when faced with adversity. Let's hope this motivates them even more.

I think the real blessing might be that a guy like Nakladal or Wilson steps into that bottom pairing role and looks excellent. When Brodie is out, this forces Engelland out of the line-up on a regular basis simply due to Nakladal/Wilson playing better and having enough games to prove it. Engelland played admirably down the stretch last year, but the rest of his career has shown him to be a borderline NHLer and not someone who should automatically be gifted a spot in the starting line-up every night unless he's playing at his best.

Itse
09-23-2015, 12:14 PM
We have so many good defensemen that one of them being injured at any one time is pretty likely. Still sucks of course.

But we have the depth.

Locke
09-23-2015, 12:20 PM
We have so many good defensemen that one of them being injured at any one time is pretty likely. Still sucks of course.

But we have the depth.

Remember last year when we didnt? When Gio went down it was 'hearts-in-throats' time?

Now? We dont have enough spots for all the bodies.

That is so, so sweet. Especially if you consider that Wilson could grab a spot, Smid could be serviceable, and that Wotherspoon, Nakladal and Morrison are really, really close.

Cali Panthers Fan
09-23-2015, 12:26 PM
I would be genuinely shocked if Smid ever played again.

Stupid Oilers.

saskflames69
09-23-2015, 12:28 PM
And then, I remembered Dougie and the heartbreak went away

foshizzle11
09-23-2015, 12:48 PM

I wouldn't say blessing in disguise, these guys shouldn't change their attitude based on the fact that Brodie is out for a few weeks of the season, potentially.

Like you said, luckily our top 4 is still awesome and we hopefully don't miss a beat. That being said, I hope one of the younger guys step up to take that last spot on the 3rd pairing. Ala Wotherspoon or Morrison, not that Nakladal doesn't look good, but I like developing the younger guys.

ricardodw
09-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Wideman was the #1 flame d-man in 2013-14 getting more ice-time than Gio when he fractured his left hand and he was a shadow of himself for the rest of the year until he got knocked out for the rest of the season.

JJ1532
09-23-2015, 01:12 PM
But it's always one injury. I'm seriously wondering if there will be a single point where our entire roster is healthy. Was there ever a point last year where that was the case? Probably not. But surely we proved last season that injuries just don't affect the team. In the last 12 months, we've lost some major players for parts of the season and we've just kept going.

So I ask, if we don't ever get the chance to roll our strongest roster, who cares?

dammage79
09-23-2015, 01:25 PM
Yeah thank god Hamilton is here now. Or else there'd be some mild panic about Wotherspoon, Murray, Wilson, Nakladal and others not being able to step in and get a chance.

Rasmus Andersson is making a case for himself too.

Don't hurry back TJ, get that hand nice and healed up 100%.

Bonus, Brodie will be a little bit fresher for a push to the playoffs.

Enoch Root
09-23-2015, 01:39 PM
But it's always one injury. I'm seriously wondering if there will be a single point where our entire roster is healthy. Was there ever a point last year where that was the case?
Last year? No.

Do you know how often other teams ice their best lineup?

Teams typically experience 150 - 350 man-games lost to injury per year. For simple math, call it 2 - 4 bodies out per game on average.

Most teams never ice their top lineup during the season. For those that do, they would be extremely fortunate to do so 8 or 10 times.

GioforPM
09-23-2015, 02:03 PM
Last year? No.

Do you know how often other teams ice their best lineup?

Teams typically experience 150 - 350 man-games lost to injury per year. For simple math, call it 2 - 4 bodies out per game on average.

Most teams never ice their top lineup during the season. For those that do, they would be extremely fortunate to do so 8 or 10 times.

This. Calgary had one devastating injury (which they gutted out). But so did lots of teams. The stats say Calgary was middle of the pack on man games lost (of course, some, like CBJ's are skewed a bit because of things like Nathan Horton's injury).

Injuries to me are "who" not "how many". Brody is important, but no more so than Gio, who Calgary lived without for far longer. And maybe it's just me, but the fact that it's now is better than deep into the season (knock on wood).

ETA: It's also an injury which doesn't prevent Brody from keeping his biggest asset, his skating, in form.

Caged Great
09-23-2015, 02:04 PM
If you're wanting to replace Brodie with a Brodie like defenseman, the top two candidates for that are Morrison and Kulak.

It'll be interesting to see who seizes this opportunity.

N-E-B
09-23-2015, 02:15 PM
I'd be more concerned if we didn't have Hamilton. Brodie shouldn't miss too much time, thankfully. We were fine without Gio and we'll be fine without Brodie for a bit.

AcGold
09-23-2015, 02:34 PM
breaking that bone is inconsequential in comparison to it being a bone in the wrist. Bones in the hand almost always heal properly if set, bones in the wrists often slowly die and eventually shatter one day.

Locke
09-23-2015, 02:36 PM
No worries, the new pairings shore up like this:

Gio - Hamilton
Gio - Russell
Gio - Wideman

Sorted.

undercoverbrother
09-23-2015, 02:48 PM
No worries, the new pairings shore up like this:

Gio

Sorted.

fixed

doctajones428
09-23-2015, 02:55 PM
If only we still had Schlemko...

Locke
09-23-2015, 03:03 PM
If only we still had Schlemko...

Yeah, no.

I liked him too, but we've got options in the pipes.

GioforPM
09-23-2015, 03:06 PM
I'm betting Nakladl is a better option than Schlemko (shootouts excepted).

jaikorven
09-23-2015, 03:15 PM
breaking that bone is inconsequential in comparison to it being a bone in the wrist. Bones in the hand almost always heal properly if set, bones in the wrists often slowly die and eventually shatter one day.

Is this true about the wrist? I have never heard this before. Serious question.

Coach
09-23-2015, 03:18 PM
Is this true about the wrist? I have never heard this before. Serious question.

It happened/is happening to me.

Not fun.

jaikorven
09-23-2015, 03:19 PM
^^ Damn that's not good and thank you for the reply.

Cali Panthers Fan
09-23-2015, 03:33 PM
To clarify, only two bones are particularly susceptible to avascular necrosis, which is what I believe AcGold is talking about when he says that they "slowly die and shatter". That is absolutely true about the scaphoid and the lunate, but is only common in the scaphoid due to a poor blood supply that can easily be disrupted due to injury. It's more a factor of never getting proper blood supply to a portion of the bone again that results in the slow decay. The rest almost never have that problem, but they aren't the ones you need for motion as much as the scaphoid and lunate, as they connect directly to the radius (forearm bone).

Thus endeth the lesson.

Mattman
09-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Here's my prediction:
Brodies gone for first 3 weeks of the season (10 games) and Wotherspoon replaces his spot. Flames defence shifts around until comfortable pairing Wotherspoon and Wideman together. Tyler impresses so much that he earns a full time gig on the Flames D corps. Book it!

ScorchyScorch
09-23-2015, 04:20 PM
Would like to see

Giordano - Hamilton
Russell - Wideman
Wilson - Wotherspoon
Engelland

If possible. If Nakladal outperforms Wilson, then swap him in there instead.

Daryei
09-23-2015, 07:08 PM
Brodie: "Puck hit me where I hold my knob...."[sic]

Anyone else think it's lucky he had his hand there? He might want to have kids some day....

btimbit
09-23-2015, 08:52 PM
It happened/is happening to me.

Not fun.

Same here. Wrist injuries are the worst

the2bears
09-24-2015, 12:04 AM

How would you do an "over under" on this?

combustiblefuel
09-24-2015, 12:47 AM
Anyone else think it's lucky he had his hand there? He might want to have kids some day....

Hehe knob.
http://geekswing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/beavis-and-butthead-laughing.jpg

VANFLAMESFAN
09-24-2015, 06:12 AM
How would you do an "over under" on this?

I think he might have meant a before/after date.

Neeper
09-24-2015, 08:12 AM
I am hoping Wilson gets in. We need a mean presence in the back to eventually replace Engelland.

Coach
09-24-2015, 08:50 AM
To clarify, only two bones are particularly susceptible to avascular necrosis, which is what I believe AcGold is talking about when he says that they "slowly die and shatter". That is absolutely true about the scaphoid and the lunate, but is only common in the scaphoid due to a poor blood supply that can easily be disrupted due to injury. It's more a factor of never getting proper blood supply to a portion of the bone again that results in the slow decay. The rest almost never have that problem, but they aren't the ones you need for motion as much as the scaphoid and lunate, as they connect directly to the radius (forearm bone).

Thus endeth the lesson.

Yup. This is exactly my issue. Options were: Fuse the wrist (limited to no mobility), remove the bone (60% loss of strength), or live with it if it doesn't hurt too much.

Option C for me. Hopefully medicine can find a way at some point. Almost 10 years after the break now.

GioforPM
09-24-2015, 11:18 AM
Brodie says no surgery, so not like Wideman's at all. And like I said befoer (and Hartley said as well) he can skate all he wants.

Huntingwhale
09-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Would like to see

Giordano - Hamilton
Russell - Wideman
Wilson - Wotherspoon
Engelland

If possible. If Nakladal outperforms Wilson, then swap him in there instead.

I like how awesome our top 4 still looks. Thank you Sweeney for gifting us Hamilton.

420since1974
09-24-2015, 08:18 PM

Knob of his stick.

I saw the replay of him blocking that shot.
His right hand was at chest level when hit.

Daryei
09-24-2015, 08:58 PM
Are you sure? [emoji12]

cracher
09-24-2015, 09:32 PM
Yup. This is exactly my issue. Options were: Fuse the wrist (limited to no mobility), remove the bone (60% loss of strength), or live with it if it doesn't hurt too much.

Option C for me. Hopefully medicine can find a way at some point. Almost 10 years after the break now.

I don't think it will be medicine finding your answer. It will be computer science. Recently read some journal articles on 3D printed replacement parts. It's coming.

Coach
09-28-2015, 09:11 AM
^^^ I agree, although I would consider that part of "medicine"

Titan
09-28-2015, 12:05 PM
Knob of his stick.

I saw the replay of him blocking that shot.
His right hand was at chest level when hit.

Whoosh!