PDA

View Full Version : [News Roundup] September 20, 2015

MissTeeks
09-20-2015, 07:46 PM
Johnson: Ferland not taking anything for granted

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/johnson-ferland-not-taking-anything-for-granted

But there during Friday morning’s Team McCrimmon-Team McDonald scrimmage was munitions expert Micheal Ferland, sights locked-in on his target in the corner out at WinSport, lighting the fuse on another stick of blasting gelatin and …

Kablooey!

Blowing up new-boy Dougie Hamilton just as if he were, well, old-guy Kevin Bieksa.

An equal-opportunity demolition man, then, unswayed by age, nationality, religious affiliation, or, apparently, organizational ties.

“It’s hockey,’’ shrugged Ferland. “It’s camp. They want us to be competitive. I went in the corner and finished my check. He got me back. We had a little laugh about it later. He’s a big, strong kid. Just part of the game.’’

Hamilton, too, seemed nonplussed. Even managed not to mangle the kid’s name into “Ferkland” (although the ex-Bruin did appear far from jolly moments after being wallpapered).

“The coaches expect you to practise the way you play.’’ Pause. “But I did tell him not to do it again.’’

And from where Ferland found himself even a year ago at this time to auditioning for featured billing on the top line is like graduating from regional dinner theatre to seeing your name in blinking lights on a Broadway marquee or in London’s West End.

“Playing with those two guys,’’ said Ferland, “you want to make room for them out there, but at the same time you want to make plays with them. You don’t just want to be … out there, taking up space. I’ve been talking with them a lot, asking them ‘Where do you guys want me?’

Most of it so far has been in front of the net and just be ready for the puck.

“It’s a transition, for sure, but I’ve played with skilled guys before.

“I think they kinda slow the game down. They’re both so good with the puck. You just don’t want to get in their way.

“Do I want to stay there? Yeah. For sure. I’d love to play with them. Who wouldn’t? But I’ll play with any line to play on this team.

“I’m still trying out, battling hard to stick on this roster.’’

“No statues,’’ advised the GM, adopting a cautionary tone, “until you’ve done something to deserve one.

“We think a lot of Micheal, but the reality is what everybody talks about, the playoffs, was a small sample size. The big sample size was a little up and down, right? There were good pieces and … started strong, then up and down, and finished strong, two-week stretch when everybody’s wired for sound.

“He understands that. He isn’t taking anything for granted. There are a lot of guys in that boat.

“I really like his mindset, which is: I’ve still got to make the team.’’

Micheal Ferland, in both actions and words, vows not to let that happen. Despite the protracted but shiny two-year, one-way $1.65 million contract agreed upon, he isn’t just playing to make the first line, he’s playing to establish himself as an 82-game player, a 15-season player, not merely some six-game, flavour-of-the-month playoff darling.

“Look at his conditioning,’’ praised Hartley. “What he has done off the ice allows him to discover himself as a hockey player at his full potential. He never knew how good he was because he never gave himself a chance.

“I have lots of trust in Ferly.

“Hey, he might some mistakes as a rookie, he might have some ups and downs, but there are not too many power forwards coming up in our game that are better than Ferly today.’’

Flames set to shift camp into another gear with dawn of preseason action

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/flames-set-to-shift-camp-into-another-gear-with-dawn-of-preseason-action

For some, it’s a complete blur.

For Dougie Hamilton, details of his first National Hockey League pre-season game in 2011 are still pretty clear.

As the Boston Bruins’ ninth overall pick that summer, the lanky teenager was trying to make an impression in his first NHL training camp and, after playing with Zdeno Chara (his future D-partner in Beantown) during scrimmages, he drew into his first pre-season game — Sept. 21, playing with fellow rookie David Warsofsky against the Ottawa Senators.

“I got sent home after that,” Hamilton said with a chuckle on Sunday, following the Calgary Flames final day of scrimmages at WinSport’s facilities.

OK. So, not a happy ending.

He returned to the Ontario Hockey League’s Niagara Ice Dogs and scored 17 goals and 55 assists in 50 regular season games and made the Bruins the following year.

But, after getting a taste of the NHL experience, the 22 year old does recall wanting more.

“It was kind of cool, for me,” said Hamilton who has since logged 178 regular season NHL games. “It’s obviously pretty fast. You grow up watching it on TV and it kind of hits you a little bit. It’s definitely something I’ll never forget. I’ll always remember that game.

“You just try and enjoy it and learn as much as you can and have fun.”

Meanwhile, Deryk Engelland is off to Edmonton for Monday’s split-squad game at Rexall (McDavid’s Place).

Which will, for sure, bring back memories of his first-preason clash — a road game versus the Tampa Bay Lightning when he was in the Pittsburgh Penguins system.

“We had a pretty tough team and I could not find a fight,” said the Flames defenceman with a chuckle. “We had three or four guys that fought quite a bit. Everyone was like rushing to get into a fight so I was kind of ticked about that.”

The play, at times, can be sloppy.

The pace, at times, can be unpredictable.

But it’s a start.

“The first three days is always Step 1,” said Flames head coach Bob Hartley. “We want to get the guys on the ice, certain lines and things. (Monday) you might see other line combinations. The beauty of the doubleheader allows us to play lots of kids. Starting (Monday), another phase of training camp begins.

“The intensity has to crank up. I’m very pleased with the first three days, but starting tomorrow we challenge the guys to find another gear.”

Agostino shines in Flames' camp scrimmages, ready for preseason

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/agostino-shines-in-flames-camp-scrimmages-ready-for-preseason

Kenny Agostino is past the point of making first impressions with the Calgary Flames.

The 23-year-old left winger has done that already, back in 2013-14 when he played eight regular season games following the Jarome Iginla trade which saw Agostino plopped on Calgary’s doorstep.

And in his first NHL training camp last fall — after four years at Yale University — Agostino also skated in two pre-season games, both against the Vancouver Canucks.

But he’s never turned heads quite like he did this past weekend, scoring twice in two training camp friendlies and fitting in nicely with linemates Markus Granlund and Josh Jooris.

“I think I scored in the scrimmages last year,” Agostino said on Sunday, skating for Team McDonald at WinSport arenas. “But in terms of overall play, I think I’m making a lot more plays. I think I’m setting things up away from the play. I feel good.

“I feel like I’ve put together three good days here.”

In other words, Agostino is moving in the right direction heading into his first pre-season game Monday. He’ll be playing on a line with Klimchuk and Granlund in Edmonton against the Oilers.

“I think going through everything last year, you can’t replace experience,” said Agostino of his second go-round at fall auditions. “This year, I was way more comfortable at the rookie tournament. It was my first pro training camp and my first pro season, I really think my game’s improved.

“I feel more confident out there.”

And it shows.

MissTeeks
09-20-2015, 07:54 PM
Calgary Flames defence prospect Jakub Nakladal excited at opportunity for spot in NHL

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/09/20/calgary-flames-defence-prospect-jakub-nakladal-excited-at-opportunity-for-spot-in-nhl

Annually, you’ll hear of NHLers insisting their summer was too long.

The reasoning is simple: They didn’t win the Stanley Cup.

Jakub Nakladal didn’t mind extra time between seasons.

“It was my longest summer ever,” the 27-year-old defenceman said Sunday. “Normally in Europe you have one month off, so it was great for me. I spent a lot of time with my family, my wife and kids. It was great.”

European leagues are already in regular-season action, to give a perspective of the timing to compared to things in North America. However, the late-blooming blueliner from Czech Republic is attending his first NHL training camp.

“It’s a big chance for me, my first time in North America in an NHL organization,” said the 6-foot-2, 205-lb., defenceman after going through the paces at the WinSport facility at Canada Olympic Park. “It’s good for me. I’m enjoying my time here.”

Be assured, the Flames are curious to see what Nakladal brings to the fold, knowing his skill set but also the adjustment he must make to playing in North America.

“I see a real good competitor,” head coach Bob Hartley said. “He still wants to learn. He’s older, he’s not a kid, but at the same time, I can tell he’s here on a mission.”

That mission, Nakladal said, is to not be too noticeable, mainly in a bad way.

“Absolutely no mistakes,” he said of his goal when he takes the ice for a game. “I think nobody wants big points from me. We have guys like Dougie Hamilton, (Mark) Giordano, (Dennis) Wideman, (TJ) Brodie, they get points. I’d be more of a defensive guy. For me, it’s important to play well with no mistakes.”

Calgary Flames veteran Matt Stajan looks to pass on lessons he learned as a young player

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/09/20/calgary-flames-veteran-matt-stajan-looks-to-pass-on-lessons-he-learned-as-a-young-player

While the Flames continue to integrate youth into their lineup, an important aspect is having the right veteran presence to be part of it all. Stajan's no fool, he knows full well part of his job this season will be as a guiding light for Sam Bennett.

Sure, Bennett was around much of last season while rehabilitating his shoulder after surgery -- during some of which Stajan was injured, so they got to know each other -- and then during his dozen games, but a full season is a different scenario.

"When I was 20 years old coming into the league, I had Joe Nieuwendyk and Mats Sundin helping me as centremen, teaching me the details, and all the things I learned from them on a day-by-day basis have gone a long way in my career. You just have to make it a cycle," said Stajan, who was in a similar role when Sean Monahan jumped to the NHL two years ago.

"Obviously I'm not those guys, but you try to help those young guys and give them the same outlet I had as a kid."

"Once we get into games, the focus is on winning," said the 31-year-old who'll hit his 800th game this season. "You want to be out there as much as you can and help the team win, but the coaches are going to distribute the minutes. You may not always agree with it, but you've got to accept it and be a good teammate. Down the stretch, you're going to utilized the way that gives the team the best chance to win."

"Staje is a great influence. He's a great man off the ice. He's a good pro on the ice. You need guys like this," Hartley said. "There's no question that drafting centres in the past years created competition at our centre spot, but I think there's icetime for the four of them and roles for four of them."

And while the easiest view of Stajan's situation among the other centres is he's the sage veteran, part big brother and part sounding board for the young players, he is quick to point out what he receives in return.

"I'm trying to push them to be the best they can be, but they're pushing me to be the best I can be," he said. "We all want to be better and if we do that, we'll be strong down the middle, and good teams have that."

Flames prospect Hunter Smith believes he's ready to play pro

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/09/19/flames-prospect-hunter-smith-believes-hes-ready-to-go-play-in-the-nhl

Won ... and done.

At least, that’s the plan.

Calgary Flames prospect Hunter Smith celebrated both an Ontario Hockey League championship and a Memorial Cup crown last spring as a member of the Oshawa Generals, but the towering 20-year-old isn’t particularly keen on shooting for a repeat in the junior ranks.

“Personally, I think I’m ready to go pro. I think I’ve done everything I needed to,” Smith said matter-of-factly. “And from the management standpoint, if they have to make the decision to send me back, I think I’ve kind of let them down, too. I think I’ve put myself in a good position to succeed. I just have to keep working.”

“My strength and balance on my feet and my leg strength down in the corners, that’s something I focused on a lot in the summer,” Smith said. “When your average player in the OHL is 5-foot-11 and 175 lb., and you come here and your average player is 6-foot-1 and 200 lb., it’s a lot different going in the corners and coming out with the puck. It’s a lot harder and you need a lot more intensity and compete level, but I think that is all just going to come with experience.

“That’s what I try to take out of these camps the most, for wherever I go next.”

“You learn a lot as you go deeper,” Smith said. “You learn when you show up and when you don’t. Are you going to be there for a big goal late in a game or are you going to be there to throw a big hit to change the momentum or whatever it be? You have to show up every night. If you take a night off, it could be the end of your season. I think that’s the biggest thing — it just brings a consistency to your game that you don’t only need in the playoffs, but you need in the regular season. I think that was the biggest thing I took from it.

“We had a lot of special guys on that team and it was a great time in my hockey career,” he added. “But that’s the past and it’s time to move on now. Hopefully, I can start the pro career here and get going on a nice running start.”

MissTeeks
09-20-2015, 08:01 PM

hockey.modern
09-20-2015, 08:46 PM
Have not heard an interview with Dougie where he doesn't say the word "excited", ever since he became a Flame. :)

Also, I really want to hear Brodie's perspective on how deep they are now, considering he might be playing second line this season.

the2bears
09-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Damn-it... I am getting so excited about hockey :D